Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-03-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #625456

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marvarnett's Group - Full

Hey Cash

Its too bad about the wipeout. I've been lucky so far, but we all go through it. My day will come. Hopefully its not too serious. Still rootin for you if you race. The experience will do you good. Let us know how you feel tomorrow.

2007-03-05 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Just minor scrapes. Nothing deep. A bit swollen around the joints. Took Naproxen.

Yes will get bike to shop tomorrow. Maybe better tires would have helped maybe not.

Doesnt hurt so bad now, just sore.

Maybe Sunday can be a go. Do I risk infection getting into a pool in 5 days? Not gonna do any more training darnit. Don't want to take the risk. And I just felt like I was making strides today in the pool. Lats and triceps were sore and more of a limiter than breathing today. Breathing still not good, but better.

Weird usually biceps hurt, not triceps. Think I still have lots of work to do on the pull.
2007-03-05 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Cash - sorry to hear about the wreck.  Hope you're doing alright and will recover quickly.

Hope you can still race on Sunday!

Bob

2007-03-05 11:08 PM
in reply to: #711393

User image

Expert
Nice job with the challenge...
2007-03-06 7:22 AM
in reply to: #712697

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Cashmason - 2007-03-05 10:45 PM Just minor scrapes. Nothing deep. A bit swollen around the joints. Took Naproxen. Yes will get bike to shop tomorrow. Maybe better tires would have helped maybe not. Doesnt hurt so bad now, just sore. Maybe Sunday can be a go. Do I risk infection getting into a pool in 5 days? Not gonna do any more training darnit. Don't want to take the risk. And I just felt like I was making strides today in the pool. Lats and triceps were sore and more of a limiter than breathing today. Breathing still not good, but better. Weird usually biceps hurt, not triceps. Think I still have lots of work to do on the pull.

Cash - glad to hear your injuries are nothing serious.  I know this happens to all of us and I'm sure my day will come when I will be in the same boat. 

As far as infection, that is a good question.  How long does it take before a cut starts to heal over and form a scab?  I think once it gets to that point you might be ok, but then again I'm not a doc. 

2007-03-06 7:45 AM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Anybody have a cartoon of a Mummy riding a bike. We could make that Cash's Avatar.

Sorry guy, but we gotta start having some fun on here Cool

2007-03-06 12:11 PM

User image

Road rash is hot.

Sorry about your fall.  Welcome to the club.

2007-03-06 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
No worries John. Only minor damage, so I can laugh at it now.

The mummy on a bike does sound funny.

As my friends say, accidents are funny, when they happen to someone else, its hilarious.

Thanks Robyn
2007-03-06 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Dan - I have a question regarding coaching.  I think I've lost it and my wife would kill support me for even contemplating this, but I want to be competitive and while I could get by as a self-coached athlete, I want more. 

What should a beginner look for to identify a good coach that would help one become competitive?

I checked out USAT's website and found some local coaches in my area and checked out some of their websites.  Monthly rates vary as do the level of personal contact depending on the service "package" you select.   

I just want to do my homework before considering such an investment. 

Edited by mcole158 2007-03-06 3:13 PM
2007-03-07 11:37 AM
in reply to: #713685

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

How to find a good coach.  Here is the first thing you have to ask yourself:  What kind of determinatin do you have?  If you're the type that commits to a schedule and a process, then go ahead with getting a coach.  If you will not be willing to commit to a "philosophy" then keep being self coached.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way.  What kind of contact do you want with a coach?  Do you have to physically see them or just e-mail/talk with them on the phone?

Interview, Interview, Interview!  Ask lots of questions.  See if the coach is personable and compatiable with you.  Just because they can spout all the answers doesn't mean you will be able to work well together.  How willing are they to change your plan according to life changes.  Some coaches are more strict than others.  Again... philosophy.

For instance, for my athletes, I work with HR and RPE.  If someone wanted me to work with them and develop a plan based on power, I couldn't help them.  But at the same time, I have to have some kind of commitment from them that they are not going to "flake" out on me.  Because then it's just a waste of everyone's time.  I'm still new to coaching, so I would feel bad about taking someone's money knowing that they weren't doing the work.  Some coach's wouldn't have that problem. 

Final thing is cost.  Generally, the more well known the more you will pay.  The more detailed, the more you will pay.  Also, some coach's have a pre-arranged amount of 'time' they will devote to you.  I haven't come across a coach yet that will cut you off after your 15' consultation is done.  But I'm sure they are out there.

Things to take to a coach:  Specific goals (not, I want to be faster at Triathloning), Time to commit, planned vacations and trips, ideally your 'A' race, what you want from them.  Don't forget that YOU are paying THEM.  And be blunt about asking how willing they are to work with you.  How detailed will the plans be, etc.

Does that help?

2007-03-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: #714782

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
Marvarnett - 2007-03-07 12:37 PM

How to find a good coach.  Here is the first thing you have to ask yourself:  What kind of determinatin do you have?  If you're the type that commits to a schedule and a process, then go ahead with getting a coach.  If you will not be willing to commit to a "philosophy" then keep being self coached.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way.  What kind of contact do you want with a coach?  Do you have to physically see them or just e-mail/talk with them on the phone?

Interview, Interview, Interview!  Ask lots of questions.  See if the coach is personable and compatiable with you.  Just because they can spout all the answers doesn't mean you will be able to work well together.  How willing are they to change your plan according to life changes.  Some coaches are more strict than others.  Again... philosophy.

For instance, for my athletes, I work with HR and RPE.  If someone wanted me to work with them and develop a plan based on power, I couldn't help them.  But at the same time, I have to have some kind of commitment from them that they are not going to "flake" out on me.  Because then it's just a waste of everyone's time.  I'm still new to coaching, so I would feel bad about taking someone's money knowing that they weren't doing the work.  Some coach's wouldn't have that problem. 

Final thing is cost.  Generally, the more well known the more you will pay.  The more detailed, the more you will pay.  Also, some coach's have a pre-arranged amount of 'time' they will devote to you.  I haven't come across a coach yet that will cut you off after your 15' consultation is done.  But I'm sure they are out there.

Things to take to a coach:  Specific goals (not, I want to be faster at Triathloning), Time to commit, planned vacations and trips, ideally your 'A' race, what you want from them.  Don't forget that YOU are paying THEM.  And be blunt about asking how willing they are to work with you.  How detailed will the plans be, etc.

Does that help?

This helps Dan.  It answers some questions I have had but opens up others.  

I don't have a problem with committing to a plan and I have an open mind when it comes to a philosophy.  I haven't been exposed to tri training & racing long enough to experience any philosophies really.  So I'm willing to accept a philosophy and give it a good try before I say "this isn't for me".   But I do know that I need detail and structure along with the intended purpose of each training session. 

What types of philosophies have you encountered? 

Contact with a coach has been one of the questions at the top of my list.  I don't need to physically see a coach.  I think email and talking on the phone are sufficient to answer any questions I may have.  However is it realistic that an athlete may become competitive with only email/phone contact?  This question is just from my inexperience in this sport and the answer may lie in your first question "What kind of determination do you have". 

I've been following plans here on BT and it has gotten me through my first tri, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if all I do is follow a "canned" plan then I'm destined to be a BOP.   Maybe I need to give it more time and train under my own guidance.  I don't honestly know the answer and experience may be the only thing that provides the answer.   I've rambled on enough.  Thanks for your input. 

2007-03-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: #714868

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

A coach worth his/her salt will give you a detailed workout.  Case in point, I give my athletes what the purpose of the week is and designate a key workout or two each week.  Depends on the training cycle and session.

The general philosophies are: HR training, RPE training, Power Training, 3 vs 4 week cycles, rest vs active recovery days.  You should always ask why they think X or Y philosophy works. 

Actually, I would venture to say that 90% of coaching is not physical.  People are just too spread out in today's world.  I see my coach at races and that's about it.  Our communication is e-mail and phone.  If I really wanted him to critique something, I can send him a video and we can talk about it.  But generally, he sends me my workouts, I ask questions and follow them as closely as I can.  If something happens, I tell him and he may alter it or just say, Don't worry about it. 

FWIW, I used the HIM plan on BT and it got me my Team USA spot.  Any plan is better than no plan and a specific plan is better than a canned plan.

You're not rambling at all.  Ask away.  That's what I'm here for.

2007-03-07 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
How do you get fluids during the bike portion of a race? I mean from volunteers, I carry two bottles on the bike on water one sports drink.

Running they hand you cups of water you toss after you drink.

Do you throw away your plastic bottles on the bike and they give you new ones?
2007-03-08 6:41 AM
in reply to: #715457

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Cashmason - 2007-03-07 9:27 PMHow do you get fluids during the bike portion of a race? I mean from volunteers, I carry two bottles on the bike on water one sports drink. Running they hand you cups of water you toss after you drink.Do you throw away your plastic bottles on the bike and they give you new ones?
Cash,That's exactly what you do. You pitch your water bottle(s) right before the aid station and pick up a new one as you go through. Please remember to slow down a bit so that you don't take the Volenteer's arm off. And don't go to a race with a water bottle that you really love. And if I may make a small suggestion. Always take a new water bottle. Even if you have only taken a couple of sips from the one you have. It's better to be safe than dehydrate. Just something I had to learn the hard way.
2007-03-08 7:00 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO
That coaching advice was great. Thanks for asking!

I am taking a rest day today. I have been working really hard this week and my body is trying hard to keep up. I will pick it up tomorrow with a good bike ride and a 5 mile run on Saturday.

I am doing a 5 mile race on St. Patrick's Day in St. Louis. I am looking forward to it. Then I start my training for my first outdoor triathlon in June.

I do have a question though. Why do you "clip in" to your bike? What are the advantages to riding like that as compared to just a layman's way?
2007-03-08 8:19 AM
in reply to: #715658

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

my3sons - 2007-03-08 8:00 AM That coaching advice was great. Thanks for asking! I am taking a rest day today. I have been working really hard this week and my body is trying hard to keep up. I will pick it up tomorrow with a good bike ride and a 5 mile run on Saturday. I am doing a 5 mile race on St. Patrick's Day in St. Louis. I am looking forward to it. Then I start my training for my first outdoor triathlon in June. I do have a question though. Why do you "clip in" to your bike? What are the advantages to riding like that as compared to just a layman's way?

First off, good luck at your race.  And don't forget to do a race report!

In regards to clipless pedals.  They allow you to transfer more of your power into the pedals and therefore the bike.  With 'conventional' pedals, you can only transfer power on the down stroke.  With clipless pedals, you can also transfer pedals on the up-stroke.  Plus it promotes a more balanced pedal stroke and improves efficiency.  There are more advantages too, but that's the basic jist.

2007-03-08 7:17 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Alert...very basic question!!

What is an A race and a B race? Why is there a difference?
2007-03-08 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
The races that are really important to you are your "A" races. They are also called goal races.

These are the ones you train for and at the end of your training program you peak and are physically at your best for that race. Since the training programs are usually several months long, you can only peak a few times a year, thus only have a few A races per year.

B and C races are less important to you. For example, a marathon might be my A race, and the 5 and 10k races I run during my training program are used as measuring sticks for my training progress. Those races might be my B and C races. For my A race I might taper ( reduce my training so my body fully recovers from the stress of training) for a couple of weeks. For a B race I might taper for a week, and a C race I might not taper at all.
2007-03-09 6:53 AM
in reply to: #716740

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Carrie,Very good question. Cash was right on the money with what he said (no pun intended). A = goal and everything else you use as training. Like I'll do a B race and my goal is to achieve a specific speed on the bike. I will go for that knowing that it might affect my run. Plus having races before your big one gets you in race mode which cannot be duplicated in a pure training environment.I had a 60 mile ride the day before one of my B races last year and I thought my coach was nuts. But you can't forget the big picture. That's what it's all about.
2007-03-10 2:49 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Dan:

Lurker on your board!! Just was very excited - completed my 5 mile prep race before Richmond
took 4th overall female - 1st master - 32:06 on hilly course (6:26 ave pace) - over 1000 runners!!
4 weeks till Richmond!

C U there!

Michelle
2007-03-10 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Deleted. Double post.

Edited by Cashmason 2007-03-10 3:18 PM

2007-03-10 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats Michelle! You are fast.

Glad you stopped lurking and posted. Feel free to post here anytime.
2007-03-10 4:43 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks!! Cash - recovered from your crash?
2007-03-10 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Nope, still got skin missing from the knee and elbow but gonna race tomorrow anyway.

Persistent yes, smart... not so sure.

Yes in college, one of my nicknames was Brainiac. I think running killed off a few of my brain cells though.
2007-03-10 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Tri club has their first time trial of the season next Saturday. Signed up for it. No clue what to expect. Its about 12 miles and a portion of it is open to traffic.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marvarnett's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18