Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-02-18 7:10 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Regular
Grantville, Ga
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL
There is a stomach virus going around here in Ga. Our son came home sick Tuesday and we all had it by Wednesday. Luckily we were over it in a couple of days.
I agree this site is awesome and they do a great job building this site. One great thing came out of my virus and that was I found and completed the routes on my training log. Awesome, I have been trying to figure out my elevation changes on my run and bike rides. This is great. it does it for me.
Thanks to all of you. I soon will be a paying member.

2007-02-18 7:30 PM

User image

Well, I said I would post an equasion for calories and I will. My DH ended up in the hospital, my oldest GS who is almost 2 has the flu....after an upper respiriatory infection, my youngest GS (2 mos) has, of all things, chicken pox....and my DD is in Ft. Worth to begin her new job tomorrow.........all in all, I think I might be able to get back on track this week....as long as everyone stays asleep. I workout before anyone wakes up so if no one is camped out in my living room I will treadmill in the morning. I really could take it outside but I hate to not be within earshot of the babies since DH is still very tired and weak. It has been a really strange week - I guess I am just venting a bit.....I am really tired myself -- taking care of everyone and keeping up with my work has been a bit much this past week. But I am off to a good start, I DID get to buy some groceries this weekend and I got everything washed and lysol sprayed on everything - and I have a holiday tomorrow so if everyone's illness cooperates I will have a head start!!!!

I agree this is a great site and I hope all of you who were ill are well and everyone is staying up with their training!

I will post the calorie information in the morning -- promise!

Edited by Daisy126 2007-02-18 7:31 PM
2007-02-18 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Daisy: sounds like you've got your hands full.  Amazing job just to get the workouts in.   Keep it up.

As for tire pressure - I like to ride between 100-110 psi on my roadie, which is not a tri bike.

Maybe I need to get sick like the rest of y'all so I can have the time to enter my run and bike routes, too.  Hopefully not this week.  1/2 mary is on Saturday.

2007-02-20 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Seems like everyone is getting sick - self included (okay, Doug has managed to avoid it). Important things to remember. Even though you are not physically doing much, your body is going through a tremendous amount of stress when you are ill. It will need the rest and recoup a few days before getting to the point where it can train again. When you do get back to training, don't expect full abilities. Start slow and easy and work back into full training over a period of days or even a week. You'll do better recovering slowly then if you push yourself before your body is ready.
2007-02-20 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Thank goodness I haven't been sick yet. I'm afraid of what will happen if I lose momentum. In the past one could have believed that my motto was "an object at rest tends to stay at rest."

I hope everyone starts feeling better soon.
2007-02-20 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi Everyone,

Kirk, I like the idea of being a paying member to help support the guys who run this site. Once you become one, do you get into a mentor group (or stay in the one you're in) for the duration of your subscription? Also, I tried to ascertain the differences between the different levels and wasn't quite sure which would be best for some one at my beginner level. Any thoughts?

Does any one out there deal with chronic achilles pain? I think it might be from running on hills. I think I'm warming up enough and stretching enough but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm open to suggestions. They usually start to hurt part way through my run (usually when I'm going up a hill) and then they're swollen for a day or day and half after my run. I ice them regularly and they're usually back to normal by the time I run. On run days, I walk my dog for 10-12 minutes to warm up my muscles, then I do hamstring, calf, quad and other leg stretches. I stretch and hold for about 3-5 seconds and progressively stretch a little more until I've done 6-8 stretches per leg per muscle group. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks - have a good day and keep that hand gel handy. People are dropping like flies around here! I think I fought something off the other night (I got a flu shot this year). I had a really queezy stomach and felt like I was getting body aches and chills and the next day I woke up and felt fine. Weird! - Whew!

Tara

2007-02-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: #696667

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

tbryant - 2007-02-20 9:03 AM  I think I fought something off the other night (I got a flu shot this year). I had a really queezy stomach and felt like I was getting body aches and chills and the next day I woke up and felt fine. Weird! - Whew! Tara

I feel like that almost every night.  I power down the vitamin C and water.  Kids have been sick off and on, and training seems to drain my energy by evening.  Crashed hard on the couch last night at 11 - didn't make it to bed until 1:30 am after the dog and lights I'd left on woke me up.

2007-02-20 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Tara, here is a link to a description of the different levels. I have been a Bronze level for quite sometime and just recently went to Silver. I wanted to get some training plans for the HIM and IM I want to do this year. The Silver level give quite a bit of detail as to what should be done on each day.

Sluggo, be glad that you have not gotten it. Be VERY glad.

Doug, lets hope you can continue to avoid it. At least until Sunday.

2007-02-20 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I hope to get in a recovery swim on Sunday - either that or crash, hard.

Have you decided whether you're a) running; b) mary; or c) 1/2 mary?

2007-02-20 8:16 PM
in reply to: #697108

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Thanks Kirk - I JOINED! I looked around at a few other websites and nothing compares to this one. I like what the guys that run it have done with it (plus Ron's from Akron and that's where I grew up so its gotta be good). I did the Silver which I'm sure is overkill, but heck, it supports a good cause. I live in a rural area and haven't been able to find a Tri group so the mentor group is hugely important to me. I'll let you know if I can't figure out how to enable all the stuff I can access now. Thanks for the input....Tara
2007-02-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: #697543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

tbryant - 2007-02-20 8:16 PM Thanks Kirk - I JOINED! I looked around at a few other websites and nothing compares to this one. I like what the guys that run it have done with it (plus Ron's from Akron and that's where I grew up so its gotta be good). I did the Silver which I'm sure is overkill, but heck, it supports a good cause. I live in a rural area and haven't been able to find a Tri group so the mentor group is hugely important to me. I'll let you know if I can't figure out how to enable all the stuff I can access now. Thanks for the input....Tara

Congrats Tara. I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Since you are now a Silver member, you might want to browse through the beginner type sprint triathlon programs listed here (sometimes referred to as - couch to sprint tri). You can even import the programs into your training logl; then each day it will show you exactly what you should be doing to achieve your goal. The programs are very well diversed, spending enough time on the areas that are important for beginners.

2007-02-21 6:05 PM

User image

Hey everyone,

I know I've read about this somewhere on this thread, but I can't locate it at the moment.  I need to get a trainer for my bike.  Actually I need to win the lottery so I can build a home gym, put in an indoor pool and hire a nanny - but since that isn't happening anytime soon, I'll have to go another route.

Seriously - between snow days, sick kids, Presidents day and today a cancellation for fog of all things - I am SO FAR off my training plan that it's driving me nuts.  I've got to do something to increase the workouts I can do at home or I am never ever going to be able to do the sprint in July.

SO.  Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a trainer for my bike (I hope that's what it's called because I am going to feel like an idiot if it's not).  Are they like a one size fits all or what??  Tell me what I need to be looking for.  Again - haven't won the lottery recently so I need to keep it kind of cheap if that's possible.

Thanks everyone -

Tami

2007-02-21 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

I'm by no means and expert on trainers. In fact I don't own one (but I am planning on borrowing one soon). But I do know this.

There is a variety of types of trainers that allow for hundreds of posibilites. There are all sorts of gizmos and gadgets that can be used with the trainer. Personally, the one I am going to borrow connects to the rear frame of the bike, while the tire sits on some sort of drum. The drum appearently has some sort of tension to it increase resistance. I assume I just connect the bike, get on and ride.

My best suggestion at this point would be to go to a local bike shop (not a sporting good store). Tell them what you are looking for and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

2007-02-21 11:38 PM

User image

Sluggo, I am trying to send you that calorie counter..it is an excel spreadsheet....PM me your email if you don't mind and I am going to try to attach here. Don't know if it will work!

Attachments
----------------
calorie_calculator.xls (28KB - 29 downloads)
2007-02-22 4:23 AM

User image

Tami - I am with you on all points, workout room...pool...nanny.....behind in training. I am really behind too. All this illness has really bonked me. I think I will be ready to start again this weekend nice and slow. I still cannot keep any thing of substance in me but I am going back to work today. I have no fever and am pretty weak. Things around here have been really crazy...first one was sick than another and it seemed to begin over again until it got me last. I am down about a week. The good side is I missed all the cold weather and it has been a pleasant 70 degrees around here. Felt good to open up the house and let all the "sick" germs out.

The thread has really grown while I have been sick and I thank you for the encouragement in my log! Anyway, my plan for getting back to it is to go for a pleasant bike ride Saturday morning, nothing strenuous, rest on Sunday, weights on Monday and take it from there, a lot of my activity level depends on my ability to eat which I hope comes back soon. Today however, will be tea and toast. One good thing....I suffer from insomnia and I have been able to sleep a LOT

Dblack - If I am not too off I believe your half Mary is this weekend? Good Luck!!!! and If I am wrong I apologize but good luck anyway!

On the peanut butter, always buy Jiff but looks like it didn't matter I am sorry for all of you who got the bug......I hope it is over and

Kirk - thanks for welcoming DD to Ft. Worth!

Edited by Daisy126 2007-02-22 4:28 AM
2007-02-22 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
Hi all. I know I have been away for a few weeks. My tri training group at the YMCA has started. It is really cool because it looks like I now have access to a coach in running, biking and swimming. I will post up my training plan when i get home!!! You guys will have to let me know what you think!!!

I have a question about the membership here....If I become a paying member will I be able to import the training plan I came up with or does it only work with the training plans from the site?

Edited by orphious 2007-02-22 6:57 AM

2007-02-22 9:13 AM
in reply to: #698936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Daisy, glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

orphious, I'm not sure about importing it, but I am sure that you can manually enter it into the "planned" calendar. It is what I have done for my past training plans.

2007-02-22 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks, Daisy.  It is this weekend, and I feel ready.  We had a speedy final run last night and my RB (running buddy) is getting much faster.  We finished sub-8s for about a 1/4 mile.

I'm bummed that Kirk is injured and apparently not going to be able to run in Cowtown this weekend - but I would have had to chase him anyway.

Thanks, y'all for the encouragement as I dealt with my knee issue.  Hopefully, it'll be a distant memory and not a problem this weekend.

db

2007-02-22 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Okay, as you all know by now Doug (dblack) is running a half marathon this weekend. I'm not sure if this is his first time running one, but I do know its the first time running the Cowtown Half. If you have been keeping up with his logs you might have an idea of how well he runs. I would like to propose that we have a little fun with this and try to guess what his finishing time will be.

I'll start first. As I know the course and I am fairly confident of the weather conditions (rainy) I am going to guess the time to be a little higher then what I know he can do. I'm putting him down for 1 hour 52 minutes and change.

Anyone else?

2007-02-22 3:22 PM
in reply to: #699608

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
cool, I'm in. Soley based on your last couple of runs, I'm thinking you'll finish between 1:57 and 2:03.

Here's to hoping you beat my predicted time.

I just got on the website, Cotown looks like a fun run (can't believe I just referred to a run as fun). I was just in Ft. Worth a little under a year ago. Just for a few hours, was in Dallas for a conference. I went to the section of town with the cattle drive and the saloons. After drinking too much I spent too much money on cowboy souveneirs for my son.

have a great time!
2007-02-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #698620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
For the best deal on trainers, call bikesport micahgin, and ask for the website discount. It is one size fits all. Get the kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer. Bikesport Michigan offers the trainer much cheaper than anywhere else. They can not publish the price because of some marketing agreement with the manufacturer.
Fluid trainers are quieter and last longer. Having it at home is huge. I use mine all the time. Much more often than if I had to fit it into my time at the gym or outside (burrrr).

2007-02-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #699773

Regular
Looking at some of Doug's times on a few of his longer runs and seeing that he is shooting for under 2 hrs, I'll guess Doug will finish around 1 hr and 58 minutes. Hope it's even better! Have a great run and lots of fun!
Good luck Doug!
Tony
2007-02-23 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
ARRGH!! Kirk, I had a few choice words for you this morning. I worked on my bi-lateral breathing in the pool. I hated it but it did get a bit easier towards the end of the swim but I've got a very long way to go before that feels even remotely natural. My goal for the next swim will be to not swallow any water...funny, the water I swalled this morning was when I was breating on my good side, go figure.

Anyway, thanks, I know that learning bi-lateral breating will be what's best for me in the long run.

So, does anyone have advice on tires for my mtn. bike. I'm not going to invest in a bike until I have a few tris under my belt and I know I'm going to keep doing this. However, I'd like to get my aggressive knobby tires off the mtn. bike. any suggestions? I found some online but don't know which would be the best choice. One site sells "police" tires...the road tires that the police use on their mtn. bikes...supposedly very fast, if you believe the advertising.

thanks,

Jay
2007-02-23 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Okay, I'm an eternal optimist and I like round numbers, so I'm gonna say 1 hour, 50 mins. (I'm also clueless about race times at this point since I'm just focusing on being able to run 3 miles without stopping and to heck with how long it takes).

DBlack, most of all, as much as possible, enjoy yourself. I hope you run swift and smooth and encounter no malfunctions or injuries - Have a great race!!! Tara
2007-02-23 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
Im gonna guess he will be pumped for the race and adrenaline will kick in and he will run 1 hour 40 minutes
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26