BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-06 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
I hated waking up at 5:30 this morning, but loved getting my training out of the way so early in the day!

2010-04-06 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2770496

User image

Champion

ARCHIVAL STATUS IS IMMINENT!!!!!!

Checking on just now, I see that new mentors are wanted and that the winter program is officially over. I haven't read Ron's explanation about how this will work this year, but at least this time around there is some warning. So, let's all read it and see where he says we can find ourselves in a few days, or whenever the new groups start forming and inheriting our earth here on BT.

2010-04-06 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2770580

User image

Champion

GANG!

Okay, we have four options, and I vote for the fourth. The new groups may inherit the prime turf, but we'll just take our act underground -- becoming troglodyte triathletes!

At least that's where I'LL be, and I'll take my nameplate with me so you'll know where to find me. I sure hope everyone continues along for the rest of the ride (as I said in warning #2 a few days ago, the season hasn't even begun for most of us), but if some decide that it's a good time to go to a different pary and see who's hanging out there, that's fine. (well...... ).

Besides, I like the way "troglodyte triathletes" sounds.

2010-04-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2770503

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

You and Steve, and maybe Anne --- fans of the early-morning workout. There's much to be said for them, and I really ought to get back into that habit myself. Heaven knows I wake up ultra-early too often anyhow!

I too went to bed when it was 5-1, a fact that I am marginally ashamed to admit. I fear the next few days, however, as I think their pattern over the past few years hads been to wind the opener and then lose the next two or three.

I did stay up for the b-ball game last night, which Duke managed to eke out. I can't say I have any attachment at all to Butler, but it would've been a great underdog victory had they won it. They dedicated the game to something like "all the other small colleges that have never had this chance", which is sweet but maybe heretofore meaningless if the NCAA goes ahead with its plan (or is it a done deal?) to radically expand the tournament field.

2010-04-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2770475

User image

Champion

ANNE and TRACEY -

"How do we get to see the picture?", asks Anne.

Welllllllllll..............I probably ought to see how mortified Steve is to know that his photos (there are about 12 of them) have been found before I divulge their whereabouts to the general population. I mean, it might even view it akin to one of those internet fiascos in which soemone realizes that 93 millions hits have been made on the video of what they did at THAT party last night!

On the other hand, my other group was very free and open about their race photos, so.........

I can either turn this into a bidding war, or make a small idiotic game out of it (teachers get proficient at small idiotic games).

Okay, then --- clues:

#1 - Steve's race name began with "Showdown".
#2 - His bib number was 50.

There ya go! Let me know if you need further help!

2010-04-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2770652

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Can you ever forgive me?
(Honest, I think they are super photos!)

2010-04-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2770654

User image

Champion

IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIR PLAY........

I have spent the past half hour feeling guilty about Steve's photos, so as I way of evening the playing field I will "allow" you access to my most recent race photos, which are at www.islandphoto.com. The race was Mightyman Montauk Half, and I was bib #25. There's some justice in that, as SteveA's bib was fifty, and half of my photos are not half as good as his.

To wit:
-- The bike ones are devastatingly awful. They are both approaching the turnaround, and a rider had gone down so the marshals were making us proceed very slowly and in single file. The expression on my face makes me look wretched in the extremis.
-- Suffering, much? see the two in which my hat has been truned backwards, which is at about mile 10 and hitting the tougher hills second time 'round.
-- As for the one of me running in my wetsuit......again, that I can have command of such an expression is kind of frightening.

There are some okay ones, I guess, but, sadly, the photographer was reloading both times I came around the lighthouse loop. Those are the "signature" photos of that race, ones that show the rider with the lighthouse in the not-so-distant background. That's almost enough to make me want to go back there and race again -- another shot at a lighthouse photo!

2010-04-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2770631

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-06 8:46 AM

TRACEY -

You and Steve, and maybe Anne --- fans of the early-morning workout. There's much to be said for them, and I really ought to get back into that habit myself. Heaven knows I wake up ultra-early too often anyhow!

I too went to bed when it was 5-1, a fact that I am marginally ashamed to admit. I fear the next few days, however, as I think their pattern over the past few years hads been to wind the opener and then lose the next two or three.

I did stay up for the b-ball game last night, which Duke managed to eke out. I can't say I have any attachment at all to Butler, but it would've been a great underdog victory had they won it. They dedicated the game to something like "all the other small colleges that have never had this chance", which is sweet but maybe heretofore meaningless if the NCAA goes ahead with its plan (or is it a done deal?) to radically expand the tournament field.

Can't say I really follow college b-ball. There are only so many sports I can commit to - watching all the Sox games is time-consuming enough!

I always see the guy at all the Sox games every season who sits right behind the catcher at Fenway, and I think, how does he have the time to go to every single game? But then again, if he can afford season tickets year after year in that seat, he probably doesn't have to work anyway.

2010-04-06 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-06 8:53 AM

ANNE and TRACEY -

"How do we get to see the picture?", asks Anne.

Welllllllllll..............I probably ought to see how mortified Steve is to know that his photos (there are about 12 of them) have been found before I divulge their whereabouts to the general population. I mean, it might even view it akin to one of those internet fiascos in which soemone realizes that 93 millions hits have been made on the video of what they did at THAT party last night!

On the other hand, my other group was very free and open about their race photos, so.........

I can either turn this into a bidding war, or make a small idiotic game out of it (teachers get proficient at small idiotic games).

Okay, then --- clues:

#1 - Steve's race name began with "Showdown".
#2 - His bib number was 50.

There ya go! Let me know if you need further help!

Still not finding them! (I would not make a good detective).

2010-04-06 10:03 AM

New user

Anne, I hope the sciata backs off for you! Good work on the swimming though! Like SteveB mentioned, you're making good progress on the swim. It's probably the hardest technique wise and the easiest to go back to a 'lazy' or comfortable stroke. Keep up the good form and you'll be doing good.

SteveB, you definitely were not as photogenic as SteveA!! (For future reference, I'm ok with sharing my race photos with the group.)

SteveA, good photos! Some there to be proud of! Holy mackarel on the weekend training!! That's quite the distance you did!

2010-04-06 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2770612

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-06 8:37 AM GANG! Okay, we have four options, and I vote for the fourth. The new groups may inherit the prime turf, but we'll just take our act underground -- becoming troglodyte triathletes! At least that's where I'LL be, and I'll take my nameplate with me so you'll know where to find me. I sure hope everyone continues along for the rest of the ride (as I said in warning #2 a few days ago, the season hasn't even begun for most of us), but if some decide that it's a good time to go to a different pary and see who's hanging out there, that's fine. (well...... ). Besides, I like the way "troglodyte triathletes" sounds.

Thanks for these warnings.   I would be SO disappointed if we had to disband.   Seems like we are just getting to know one another, and as you say, just getting into the season`s training.    There is going to be ALOT of support required on my part, from you Steve, and the rest of the group, to make this season a success.   DEFINITELY continuing on for the rest of the ride.  

2010-04-06 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2770612

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:43 PM
2010-04-06 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2769083

User image

latestarter - 2010-04-05 10:35 AM
stevebradley - 2010-04-05 11:56 AM TRACEY -  Better check your ego at the door right here and now, because you will have LOTS of rides in which your return takes that much longer than going out, thanks to the wind. My 60km a couple of days ago? 58:07 going out, 1:02:02 coming back. And the return part features two hills that are nice fast descents -- as opposed to a slowish grind going up them on the way out. I often try to plan my trips in accordance with the winds, that is, if they are from the west I will head that way first so that on the return the wind is at my back. But then there are the ones that really get me, where the wind is in my face BOTH ways! The nerve of it! 

I go to even GREATER lengths to avoid the wind - if it`s an east or west wind I will pick a north, south route; a north wind, I go east, west.   As you mention, it doesn`t always work - so many days it`s a headwind no matter which way you turn.  

I thought it was a rule that there is always a headwind!  Just throwing out another opinion - I prefer headwinds to crosswinds.  I am such a ninny on downhills that I almost prefer a headwind going up or down a hill.   Nothing unnerves me more than being aero at 35 mph and then getting a nice crosswind.  I always feel like my bike is just going to lift off the ground.  LOL.  I think for me, the best case scenario is a headwind into an uphill route.  I figure, if the hill already has me down to 8-10mph, then what's a little headwind on top of that?  Heh.
2010-04-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2770253

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-05 7:52 PM Butler's hanging tough! This is good! Also good - nay, GREAT - is the fact that the Red Sox beat the Skankees last night, 9-7. Ahh, sweet bliss!

I'm no real Sox fan, but I'm with you 100% against the Yankees! 
2010-04-06 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2770763

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-06 9:37 AM IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIR PLAY........ I have spent the past half hour feeling guilty about Steve's photos, so as I way of evening the playing field I will "allow" you access to my most recent race photos, which are at www.islandphoto.com. The race was Mightyman Montauk Half, and I was bib #25. There's some justice in that, as SteveA's bib was fifty, and half of my photos are not half as good as his. To wit: -- The bike ones are devastatingly awful. They are both approaching the turnaround, and a rider had gone down so the marshals were making us proceed very slowly and in single file. The expression on my face makes me look wretched in the extremis. -- Suffering, much? see the two in which my hat has been truned backwards, which is at about mile 10 and hitting the tougher hills second time 'round. -- As for the one of me running in my wetsuit......again, that I can have command of such an expression is kind of frightening. There are some okay ones, I guess, but, sadly, the photographer was reloading both times I came around the lighthouse loop. Those are the "signature" photos of that race, ones that show the rider with the lighthouse in the not-so-distant background. That's almost enough to make me want to go back there and race again -- another shot at a lighthouse photo!

OK, two things.   I found SteveA`s pictures and they ARE great; Secondly, your pictures are NOT bad - I thought they were actually pretty good.   I can tell you right now, I`m not letting you anywhere near my races pictures.   I will be very selective about what I let you guy`s see.   I don`t know why they can only get one or two decent ones out of a dozen, when every one of Ken`s looks great.  

BTW, I hope you don`t loose any more weight.   You look pretty darn thin in those pictures.  
2010-04-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2770654

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-06 5:54 AM STEVE - Can you ever forgive me? (Honest, I think they are super photos!)

Heh, no worries at all.  I didn't even know they were up...I need to go find them myself! 

Thanks for the thoughts....I'm going to comment before I see them, as I hate photos of myself.  Thinking back, no, I don't think I was in too much distress at any time, but there were less favorable moments - all of them uphill! 

Yes, the climb out of the lake was long - but to tell the truth, there wasn't any part of the run that was not either a climb or a descent.  Here's the link for grade from MapMyRide.com:  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nv/henderson/9751270569... The worst part of it was the up and down off the peak - 4-5% grades that just stunk! 

Anyhoo...off to find those pics!

2010-04-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2771189

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-04-06 11:44 AM
latestarter - 2010-04-05 10:35 AM
stevebradley - 2010-04-05 11:56 AM TRACEY -  Better check your ego at the door right here and now, because you will have LOTS of rides in which your return takes that much longer than going out, thanks to the wind. My 60km a couple of days ago? 58:07 going out, 1:02:02 coming back. And the return part features two hills that are nice fast descents -- as opposed to a slowish grind going up them on the way out. I often try to plan my trips in accordance with the winds, that is, if they are from the west I will head that way first so that on the return the wind is at my back. But then there are the ones that really get me, where the wind is in my face BOTH ways! The nerve of it! 

I go to even GREATER lengths to avoid the wind - if it`s an east or west wind I will pick a north, south route; a north wind, I go east, west.   As you mention, it doesn`t always work - so many days it`s a headwind no matter which way you turn.  

I thought it was a rule that there is always a headwind!  Just throwing out another opinion - I prefer headwinds to crosswinds.  I am such a ninny on downhills that I almost prefer a headwind going up or down a hill.   Nothing unnerves me more than being aero at 35 mph and then getting a nice crosswind.  I always feel like my bike is just going to lift off the ground.  LOL.  I think for me, the best case scenario is a headwind into an uphill route.  I figure, if the hill already has me down to 8-10mph, then what's a little headwind on top of that?  Heh.

BOY, you do like a challenge don`t you.   I agree with Steve about your race photos.   Reallly nice, and you look strong in them.   Not at all like you are suffering.   You are like my husband, Ken, at races.  Always makes sure to give a nice wave. 

I hope I neve encounter 35 mph winds; 35km I can handle, with a little whimpering.       I thought you were a bit nuts saying the best case scenario is a headwind into an uphill route, but you do sort of make a valid point. 

I`m still thinking about what 2nd cassette to get.   I`m quite strong on the hills to begin with, and not so, on the flats, especially with the headwind; but I have been working on that last year and have made some good progress.   In the back of my mind, I`m thinking it is premature and that I still have room to improve my speed on the flats with the current cassette; I`m positive I am not maxed out.  

I`m really looking forward to doing a TT after the Florida trip to see how I compare with last year`s TT`s.    I thought about doing one before we left and than after to see if there was any difference.   Haven`t decided.  

2010-04-06 11:14 AM

User image

Best laid plans - well, the hammy is screaming again.   Seems to have gotten progressively worse since the run on Sunday - I'm assuming it is just the whole "sitting at a desk all day" syndrome.  Fortunately (I think), it's not a sharp pain at all - just kind of that same tight golf-ball feeling in the lower hamstring where it goes into the connective tissue. 

I bagged the workout this morning for two reasons.  (A) I didn't sleep at all last night - not sure why, as it was a rest day, and I was in bed at 10:00 so I could get up this AM...but was just restless all night.  I think I just don't sleep well heading into the first early AM workout of the week.  (B) was going to go to gym to swim/run, and as bad as the hamstring felt getting out of bed, I realized I wasn't likely to run much, so why bother getting to the gym that early? 

SO - swim tonight after work at the public pool (which I like better anyway).  The good thing is that it affords me more time to swim.  I'd like to see if I can crank out 4,000 - 4,500 meters tonight.  I want to get in a few really long swims before the taper - tonight seems like a good night to do one. 

Also, I get the bike back tonight from the shop - can't way to see what the extra cogs do for me...maybe I can go find a nearby hill after work tomorrow and take it for a spin before this weekend.  It's almost like I'm getting a brand new bike!  I'm giddy.
2010-04-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2771281

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-04-06 12:14 PM Best laid plans - well, the hammy is screaming again.   Seems to have gotten progressively worse since the run on Sunday - I'm assuming it is just the whole "sitting at a desk all day" syndrome.  Fortunately (I think), it's not a sharp pain at all - just kind of that same tight golf-ball feeling in the lower hamstring where it goes into the connective tissue. 

Does this have any effect on your knee at all?  Pulling sensation? Soreness or tenderness?    My right leg and knee has been acting up for a couple of weeks now and sounds like what you described; just when it feels like it is back to normal - it isn`t!   It is always worse for a short while after I have been sitting for a long time, then seems to be OK.   There is no weakness at all.  

I am going to the osteopath this afternoon and see if she can shed some light on it.  

2010-04-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2771035

Master
Kitchener
smarx - 2010-04-06 11:03 AM

Anne, I hope the sciata backs off for you! Good work on the swimming though! Like SteveB mentioned, you're making good progress on the swim. It's probably the hardest technique wise and the easiest to go back to a 'lazy' or comfortable stroke. Keep up the good form and you'll be doing good.

Hey Shaun,

It is Diane who has the sciata bothering her.    I have enough wonky things happening without that.  

Maybe we will hook up at a race this season, since we are sort of in the same neck of the woods.    If we are not racing, maybe we will take a drive and coming and watch YOU race.    I think Ken has it in his mind to do ALL the races - I think he and SteveB have something in common.  

2010-04-06 11:35 AM

Master
Kitchener
CRAP!   Just went to get on the trainer and found I have NO pedals.   Put them on the race bike which is at the bike shop till tomorrow.   Frown   I`m too cheap to buy another set.      Scrap that!  Just remembered Ken has a set of speedplays I can snag off of his bike.  

2010-04-06 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2771281

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:44 PM
2010-04-06 3:09 PM

Master
Kitchener
Good news from osteo - my right tibial bone was internally rotated (alot) causing knee alignment to be off.   Couldn`t say if the the pulling hamstring caused the rotation, or the tibal bone caused the hamstring problem - anyway, all balanced.    I think the yoga had something to do with it, with the moving, opening of the hips and pelvis and ligaments and tendons trying to realign themselves.   I am excited about it, (as I should be) as she put it.   Will check back with her at the end of April after cycling tour to see how everything is holding.    

I`m getting optimistic AGAIN.     
2010-04-06 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2772121

User image

latestarter - 2010-04-06 1:09 PM Good news from osteo - my right tibial bone was internally rotated (alot) causing knee alignment to be off.   Couldn`t say if the the pulling hamstring caused the rotation, or the tibal bone caused the hamstring problem - anyway, all balanced.    I think the yoga had something to do with it, with the moving, opening of the hips and pelvis and ligaments and tendons trying to realign themselves.   I am excited about it, (as I should be) as she put it.   Will check back with her at the end of April after cycling tour to see how everything is holding.    

I`m getting optimistic AGAIN.     

Right on!!!!
2010-04-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2771962

User image

midlifeinsanity - 2010-04-06 12:14 PM
SAquavia - 2010-04-06 11:14 AM

Also, I get the bike back tonight from the shop - can't way to see what the extra cogs do for me...maybe I can go find a nearby hill after work tomorrow and take it for a spin before this weekend. It's almost like I'm getting a brand new bike! I'm giddy.

STEVEA - Found your race stats - outstanding!  Please tell us how you have only 3 minute transitions??!!  Still looking for the pics.

Heh, well, it isn't due to practice, that's for sure! 
I'm not sure 3 minutes is all that fast considering others are doing it in 1.5 minutes.  But I put on socks!  My only tricks are (1) to lay stuff out in the reverse order it goes on my body, and to stack it so that I don't have the ability to deviate from plan; (2) I fold my socks halfway inside out - so the heel opening is over the toe - this way, I can insert my wet toes into the toe of the sock with out having to force it through the whole sock.  Stick toes in, grab hell and pull it back over my heel, and voila, dry sock is on wet foot!  (3) I wear my tri top under my wetsuit so I don't have to put it on and I don't spend any time drying off. 

Pics are at http://www.zazoosh.com/events/viewPhotos/264 bib #50.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276