BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-06 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2771221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
latestarter - 2010-04-06 11:54 AM

stevebradley - 2010-04-06 9:37 AM IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIR PLAY........ I have spent the past half hour feeling guilty about Steve's photos, so as I way of evening the playing field I will "allow" you access to my most recent race photos, which are at www.islandphoto.com. The race was Mightyman Montauk Half, and I was bib #25. There's some justice in that, as SteveA's bib was fifty, and half of my photos are not half as good as his. To wit: -- The bike ones are devastatingly awful. They are both approaching the turnaround, and a rider had gone down so the marshals were making us proceed very slowly and in single file. The expression on my face makes me look wretched in the extremis. -- Suffering, much? see the two in which my hat has been truned backwards, which is at about mile 10 and hitting the tougher hills second time 'round. -- As for the one of me running in my wetsuit......again, that I can have command of such an expression is kind of frightening. There are some okay ones, I guess, but, sadly, the photographer was reloading both times I came around the lighthouse loop. Those are the "signature" photos of that race, ones that show the rider with the lighthouse in the not-so-distant background. That's almost enough to make me want to go back there and race again -- another shot at a lighthouse photo!

OK, two things.   I found SteveA`s pictures and they ARE great; Secondly, your pictures are NOT bad - I thought they were actually pretty good.   I can tell you right now, I`m not letting you anywhere near my races pictures.   I will be very selective about what I let you guy`s see.   I don`t know why they can only get one or two decent ones out of a dozen, when every one of Ken`s looks great.  

BTW, I hope you don`t loose any more weight.   You look pretty darn thin in those pictures.  

Someone is going to have to post links to SteveA and SteveB's race photos! I still can't seem to find them.

Anne - I hear you about being selective about photos. I had plans of putting some of my 5k photos on my Facebook page, only to see them later on and decide against it.

Tracey

2010-04-06 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2772121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-04-06 4:09 PM

Good news from osteo - my right tibial bone was internally rotated (alot) causing knee alignment to be off.   Couldn`t say if the the pulling hamstring caused the rotation, or the tibal bone caused the hamstring problem - anyway, all balanced.    I think the yoga had something to do with it, with the moving, opening of the hips and pelvis and ligaments and tendons trying to realign themselves.   I am excited about it, (as I should be) as she put it.   Will check back with her at the end of April after cycling tour to see how everything is holding.    

I`m getting optimistic AGAIN.     

Awesome news Anne!

2010-04-06 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2772270

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-04-06 5:05 PM

midlifeinsanity - 2010-04-06 12:14 PM
SAquavia - 2010-04-06 11:14 AM

Also, I get the bike back tonight from the shop - can't way to see what the extra cogs do for me...maybe I can go find a nearby hill after work tomorrow and take it for a spin before this weekend. It's almost like I'm getting a brand new bike! I'm giddy.

STEVEA - Found your race stats - outstanding!  Please tell us how you have only 3 minute transitions??!!  Still looking for the pics.

Heh, well, it isn't due to practice, that's for sure! 
I'm not sure 3 minutes is all that fast considering others are doing it in 1.5 minutes.  But I put on socks!  My only tricks are (1) to lay stuff out in the reverse order it goes on my body, and to stack it so that I don't have the ability to deviate from plan; (2) I fold my socks halfway inside out - so the heel opening is over the toe - this way, I can insert my wet toes into the toe of the sock with out having to force it through the whole sock.  Stick toes in, grab hell and pull it back over my heel, and voila, dry sock is on wet foot!  (3) I wear my tri top under my wetsuit so I don't have to put it on and I don't spend any time drying off. 

Pics are at http://www.zazoosh.com/events/viewPhotos/264 bib #50.

Steve:

That's a great sock tip! I love transition tips like that.

The photos look great but I can't find you in that sea of pictures!

Tracey

2010-04-06 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2772526

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:46 PM
2010-04-06 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2772535

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:47 PM
2010-04-07 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2772564

User image

Champion

GANG!

It's official -- we've been moved! I see I'm the first one here today, and I'm looking for more of you to trickle in over the next few days; hopefully, there'll be no one who is unable to locate us! (Those sheep that stray from the flock......... )

2010-04-07 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2772526

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Very interesting about the internally rotated tibia. I'll have to put on my 3-D mediacl cap and see if I can visualize how that might affect both the knee and the hamstring. Well, I can visualize the tibia/knee thing, but them extending it up to the hammy is more difficult -- as is the benefits of the Yoga and the opening of hips, pelvis, etc. The old song about the hip bone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the knee bone, and so on, really makes sense when viewed from the perspective of injuries. It really is difficult to just isolate something and say categorically "That's a knee problem". Sure, lots of stuff is isolated, but it seems that most is not. The opnes that get me are the lower body problems that have roots in, or are exacerbated by, torquing and sashshaying of thre upper body during running. Talk about a domino effect!

Anyhow, that's great news that you may have not only an explanation of the problem, but also full cause to be optimistic that improvemnet has happened. Halleloo!

2010-04-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2771385

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Ah, the benefits of partners doing the same thing -- you can steal each other's gear. Who's ahead, overall, in the gear-swiping - you or Ken?

Big rains here today, I may be back on the trainer. That, or just pass on riding today. (Now THERE'S a thought!) Actually, last I was on the bike was Saturday........guess I should climb aboard today. Sigh.

2010-04-07 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2771221

User image

Champion

ANNE once more -

"I can tell you right now, I'm not letting you anywhere near my race pictures."

Ho, ho, ho! Sounds like a challenge for me! I may be a dope about most things computerish, but over the years I have become very good at wading through race data and ferreting out all sorts of cool stuff. Heh, heh!

I'll let you know what I find, okay?

Race photos are very odd. Some companies do them up really well, and zoomphoto out of Ottawa springs to mind. They manage to get scads of photos of each person at any given race, evn though they are a small operation. At the other end of it is ASI, which handles many of the five-star events, but their offerings per athlete are very small. Brightroom is somewhat better, and at some races are stellar. Mike Cheliak, at the Multisport Canada events, comes up with nice stuff, but it's limited -- it's really just him, sometimes his wife. And even though Island Photo missed me passing the lighthouse, they were at a variety of locations. It's just too bad they caught me sitting up and scowling on the bike, agitated at the traffic jam!

But in any given set of photos, there are several of me that are train wrecks, so those were just a couple in a long line of OMG! images. I am often oblivious of the photographer, so they catch me without any putting-on-of-a-good-face. (Not that I have a go-to face that works, but.....) I mean, had I known the photographer was there as I was all slowed down and being funneled around the turn, I might've made some effort to not look quite so miserable!

Anyhow, as I said before ---- I'll let you know what I find of you! (I do so love a challenge!)

2010-04-07 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2771164

User image

Champion

M -

Wow! That's a big reduction in stroke count, knocking of three for the 25m -- that's more than "hardly slightly"! (Getting rid of just one stroke is a pretty good accomplishment.)

And congrats also on being bilateral, as well as making the high elbows work for you. High elbows work for most people who employ them, I guess, so it's good that you've learned how to get them high and use them to sort of lever your hands into the water.

As for the shoulder, I wouldn't worry about it yet. As you suggest, it might just be from doing something different; it doesn't sound as if you did anything wrong. The two big culprits of shoulder problems in swimming are when your hands cross your midline in front and when you rotate your arm and hand inward so that the thumb enters first.

To elaborate:
For the first one, what I mean by that is when your left hand enters the water over at the right side of your head. Your midline is defined as the line from your spine up through the top of your head, and you can strain or impinge the shoulder when your enetring hand crosses that line.
For the second one, even though many books say that the best hand entry is thumb-forst, that works well only for people with good shoulders. For thew rest of us it is a potential cause of impingement.

If you sit there and mimic these two movements, you can see that your arm is doing essentially the same thing for both. The more you move your arm so that it reaches across in front of you, the more you are having to rotate it. And just doing that now --- I can feel it in my deltoid (often my "canary" for impending shoulder issues).

I spent several years "mastering" trhe thumbs-first entry, only to have to work at abandoning it as I try to fend off any further shoulder misery. But it's one of those things that becomes part of muscle memory, which is why I have to consciously work at it.

Finally, seeing as how you like the troglodyte image, there is a species of wren (I think it's the Winter Wren) whose scientific name is Troglodytes troglodytes. Most North American wrens are of the genus Troglodytes, but that one also carries it as its species name. Um, just so you know?

2010-04-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I found us!  Now I have to catch up after being away in Madison for the weekend.

Denise

2010-04-07 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2771281

User image

Champion

Re: Socks

A further trick for quick entry is to sprinkle the insides with baby powder, which not only speeds entry, but also helps fend off blisters.

For about 3-4 seasons I have gone sockless on the bike for all my races. This removes the problem of getting on socks with wet feet, and it also reduces the problem of overheated feet on hot days. I figured that if I had to put on socks at some point, it made more sense to do them before the run. I recommend that approach!

I've now evolved to not wearing socks, period. I initially did this with sprints, then graduated to olys, and finally attempted it at Mightyman Montauk last October. It helps that I use Newton shoes that have few interior seams that can lead to blisters, and I'm not sure I could get away with this with others brands and models.

I am very pleased that I have already done three sockless runs this spring, as I guess my feet don't need much toughening-up this year.

2010-04-07 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2772564

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
midlifeinsanity - 2010-04-06 8:50 PM

Pics are at http://www.zazoosh.com/events/viewPhotos/264 bib #50.

Steve: That's a great sock tip! I love transition tips like that. The photos look great but I can't find you in that sea of pictures! Tracey

TRACEY - There's a search box on the right side of the page.  Just enter the bib number.  Smile

STEVEA - Great pics.  You look relaxed in all of them.  Nice when the hard work & training pay off!  Congratulations!  -  M

Found the pics, thanks m!

SteveA: You look great! So relaxed and happy. I know though from your race report that you weren't feeling happy the entire time, so you put on a good face.

2010-04-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2773223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-07 8:42 AM

GANG!

It's official -- we've been moved! I see I'm the first one here today, and I'm looking for more of you to trickle in over the next few days; hopefully, there'll be no one who is unable to locate us! (Those sheep that stray from the flock......... )

I had the board bookmarked as one of my favorites, and when I click on it, it still takes me here (conveniently!)

Tracey

2010-04-07 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2771281

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Feeling any better today? And di you manage the big swim last night? 4000-4500m would represent an honest day's labor! Unless you have shoulder problems, you can probably continue with longish swims even into the taper. That'll help you from becoming too stir-crazy with the reduced activity levels. And for what it's worth, I never have success with combining rest days with nights of decent sleep; the two just don't seem compatibe for me.

What's your cassette going to be now -- 27/12? I think you'll grow quite fond of that. Topanga Canyon, here you come!

In your words -- "Must climb!"

2010-04-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2773400

User image

Champion

DENISE! TRACEY!

I've been lonely, bobbing on the Archival Sea all by myself. Of all the flotsam and jetsam of BT, you've found our raft!

2010-04-07 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2773410

User image

Champion

MANDY (when you find us...) -

Have you studied the run elevation chart for Pirate? I think they need some new GPS gear! Aside from the first 0.1 mile, and the middle 0.5 mile, and the final 0.3 mile (give or take on those), the rest of the profile should be a mirror image. Don't you think?

Hmmmm......

2010-04-07 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2770763

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-06 6:37 AM IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIR PLAY........ I have spent the past half hour feeling guilty about Steve's photos, so as I way of evening the playing field I will "allow" you access to my most recent race photos, which are at www.islandphoto.com. The race was Mightyman Montauk Half, and I was bib #25. There's some justice in that, as SteveA's bib was fifty, and half of my photos are not half as good as his. To wit: -- The bike ones are devastatingly awful. They are both approaching the turnaround, and a rider had gone down so the marshals were making us proceed very slowly and in single file. The expression on my face makes me look wretched in the extremis. -- Suffering, much? see the two in which my hat has been truned backwards, which is at about mile 10 and hitting the tougher hills second time 'round. -- As for the one of me running in my wetsuit......again, that I can have command of such an expression is kind of frightening. There are some okay ones, I guess, but, sadly, the photographer was reloading both times I came around the lighthouse loop. Those are the "signature" photos of that race, ones that show the rider with the lighthouse in the not-so-distant background. That's almost enough to make me want to go back there and race again -- another shot at a lighthouse photo!

Those are GREAT photos.  I wish I looked that good running - you have great form, great lean to your stride!  Is that a DeSoto wetsuit?
2010-04-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2773400

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-07 6:44 AM STEVE - Feeling any better today? And di you manage the big swim last night? 4000-4500m would represent an honest day's labor! Unless you have shoulder problems, you can probably continue with longish swims even into the taper. That'll help you from becoming too stir-crazy with the reduced activity levels. And for what it's worth, I never have success with combining rest days with nights of decent sleep; the two just don't seem compatibe for me. What's your cassette going to be now -- 27/12? I think you'll grow quite fond of that. Topanga Canyon, here you come! In your words -- "Must climb!"

Eh.

Good swim last night - somewhere between 3800 and 4,000 meters.  I did somewhere near 75 laps before going to the pull buoy, and then about 10 more.  My count is far from accurate, but I was in the pool for about 1:15 with about 2 total minutes of rest.  Suddenly, all the swimmers have returned to the pool, so it was circle lap time.  Which was actually good, as I was in a lane with a guy who was slightly faster than me (perhaps 2-3 seconds per 100m), so I tried to stay in front of him as much as possible, moving aside only when I'd feel his hands in my wake.  So, it was a good, challenging session and got some distance in there as well.  I think you  are right, it's a great way to do a long workout without beating up the body too much!

Woke up this morning thinking gym, pool and run, but the hammy was still very tight as I was headed to the coffee maker, so I bagged that and went back to sleep.  Instead, I'm gonna hit the trainer hard tonight and move the swim/run to tomorrow.  Funny, hammy was feeling much better when I woke up again at 7:00.  I think I have to accept the fact that it will be tight when I wake up and trust that it'll loosen up before I get on the treadmill. 

Picked the bike up, and now have an 11/28 on the cassette.  I'm excited, as it'll give me one more gear on the top-end for downhills (I was on a 12/25 before) and 3 more cogs on the low end.

12-25:  12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25
11-28:

So, I gain the 24 over the 23, lose the 25, and gain the 28.  I guess if I could have designed the perfect cassette, it'd be a 12-28 that would have:  12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25,28 - giving me all the same old gears and swapping the 16 for the 28.  But, I'm not worried, as I spent a lot of time in the 23, and only bailed out into the 28, so now I can likely work longer in the 24 than the 23.   

Anyway, we'll see how it does in the hills this weekend!  woo-hoo!
2010-04-07 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
I did a back-to-back ride and run this morning. I felt pretty good on the ride, but the run was tough. I think I walked more than half of it. Was just feeling really tired. After getting back, I SO did not feel like going to the Y for my swim. It took every last drop of determination to get my butt there, but I did. So, I get to the locker room, open my bag... and I forgot to bring my swimsuit! Arrrgh! (If I knew how to insert the angry emoticon here, I would!) I didn't bother going back to get it, because by the time I would have done that, the lap lanes would have been closed for the afternoon lessons. So what am I doing? I've decided to take the afternoon off from work and take a nap!

Tracey

2010-04-07 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey all!

I have been away from my computer for a few days working in the woods, sorry I have been out of the loop.  Good few days, but wasn't able to get a single run or bike in due to the crazy schedule (5:00am-7pm)  Running tomorrow.  April is going to be like this, I am afraid. 

Holy man, I have some catching up to do!    You guys are awesome.

Cheers,
Mandy

2010-04-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2773416

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Steve B-

Regarding Pirate Tri - it is an out an back with a little loop at the turn around...it should be a mirror image.  From what I remember of that route it wasn't too hilly, but slight incline heading to the turn around...but my memory tends to turn all things uncomfortable into things awesome, so don't quote me on that...Are you doing Pirate?  I hope so!  Fun race.  The bike is hilly, but good.

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-04-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2773223

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-07 8:42 AM GANG! It's official -- we've been moved! I see I'm the first one here today, and I'm looking for more of you to trickle in over the next few days; hopefully, there'll be no one who is unable to locate us! (Those sheep that stray from the flock......... )

Hey!  I AM BAAAAACK! 

2010-04-07 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2772121

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Anne-

Great news from osteo - stay optimistic and keep up what you need to do to get re-aligned.

Mandy

Woah.  20 weeks to Timberman.  I should probably find a pool since the lake is still 38 degrees.
2010-04-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2770253

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-05 10:52 PM Butler's hanging tough! This is good! Also good - nay, GREAT - is the fact that the Red Sox beat the Skankees last night, 9-7. Ahh, sweet bliss!

Hey I am a few days behind on this since I have been gone but had to say... Steve, I knew had the most excellent taste.

YEAH! Season opener win!

Oh, I should apologize in advance if I am obnoxious about being a Red Sox fan.  Especially against the Yankees.  I can't believe they pulled it off to be honest, they like to make me nervous....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276