BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-07 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
SteveA, your photos are fabulous!  You look so relaxed, it is amazing.  That run looks like a killer when you see it in the photos.  Again, well done!

Things are not improving with my sciatica so training is on hold.  Unfortunately, there are other things that need to be done like yardwork, housecleaning, etc that do not help.  I am meeting friends from MN and NE in Kansas this weekend for dog shows but think I am going to try acupuncture next week when I get back.  Something has to have some impact on it.

Glad that the group is hanging together.  Hopefully this will last throughout this season as it looks like it's going to be quite some time before I get to the FIRST tri! 

Hope everyone has a great training weekend!

2010-04-08 4:56 AM
in reply to: #2775691

User image

Champion

STEVE! MANDY! DIANE!

Good sleuthing!

2010-04-08 5:03 AM
in reply to: #2776077

User image

Champion

DIANE -

Not to worry -- I'm not going anywhere! My group from last year is still operational, although our numbers have diminished; we are now down to 4-6 others. But as long as BT is here and still offering these groups and maintaining an archive, we'll continue apace. (Ever have a fantasy in which you realize that you are the last surviving member of your high school class? Which of us groovetimers will be the last one out the door?)

Anyhow, all that is to say that as long as it takes you to start doing traithlons, I will be here for you -- and hopefully there will be a handful of others as well. And my betting money says you do one before 2010 is done. Call it a hunch!

What type(s) of dogs?

2010-04-08 5:14 AM
in reply to: #2775523

User image

Champion

MANDY -

That's what's so odd about the elevation chart -- no mirror image. Like I said, they need to recalibrate their GPS stuff.

My father took me to loads of Red Sox games throughout my childhood -- the Sox and the Bruins were his preferred teams-of-choice. (He was actually more of a Braves fan before they moved to Milwaukee in '53, but made the switch seamlessly to the Sox.)

I love them, but I still haven't forgiven the management for replacing the Big Screen in order to creat the "monster seats". There was nothing more beautiful in all of sports than to see a ball loft into the screen, settle there for a split second, and then gently roll down. Sigh.

The last two games have been not-so-nice, of course. As I said to tracey a day or two ago, this seems to be their recent pattern -- win the opener, then lose a few. That this has happened this year against the Yankees just makes it many times more excruciating. And here it is, three games into the season, and I'm already feeling excruciated? Oh my.

2010-04-08 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2773239

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-07 8:51 AM ANNE - Very interesting about the internally rotated tibia. I'll have to put on my 3-D mediacl cap and see if I can visualize how that might affect both the knee and the hamstring. Well, I can visualize the tibia/knee thing, but them extending it up to the hammy is more difficult -- as is the benefits of the Yoga and the opening of hips, pelvis, etc. The old song about the hip bone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the knee bone, and so on, really makes sense when viewed from the perspective of injuries. It really is difficult to just isolate something and say categorically "That's a knee problem". Sure, lots of stuff is isolated, but it seems that most is not. The opnes that get me are the lower body problems that have roots in, or are exacerbated by, torquing and sashshaying of thre upper body during running. Talk about a domino effect! Anyhow, that's great news that you may have not only an explanation of the problem, but also full cause to be optimistic that improvemnet has happened. Halleloo!

I am a total believer in holisitic health in general - avoid prescriptions like the plague - have been going to an ND since I have been in my early 20`s.    Doctors and surgeons and drugs do have their place, for sure.     The rotated tibia messed up the knee, which caused the tendons and ligaments in the upper leg to be pulled this way and that and not allowed to move properly, is my best guess.   Ever since I got off the table my knee has felt normal again.   Yesterday and today my entire leg is feeling normal.    That`s the good news.

The bad news is Ken doesn`t want me running until after the bike trip.   Doesn`t think I should risk ruining the biking and thinks the knee and leg could use the time to heal up properly.   That in itself doesn`t really bother me.   It`s just that here I go again, almost starting over.   If I start up again April 22nd that gives me pretty much 13.5 weeks till Muskoka and only 8 weeks till Guelph Olympic.    If I don`t have any more issues crop up and all goes smoothly, I suppose I can get enough running in to be able to do those races; but for sure there will be no speed to them.    Disappointing, but I can live with that too.  

Do you think that is enough time to be ready to do those races?

BTW, I didn`t have to look for our group either.   I had a link set up to us and took me right here.   
2010-04-08 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2773288

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-04-07 9:09 AM ANNE once more - "I can tell you right now, I'm not letting you anywhere near my race pictures." Ho, ho, ho! Sounds like a challenge for me! I may be a dope about most things computerish, but over the years I have become very good at wading through race data and ferreting out all sorts of cool stuff. Heh, heh! I'll let you know what I find, okay? Race photos are very odd. Some companies do them up really well, and zoomphoto out of Ottawa springs to mind. They manage to get scads of photos of each person at any given race, evn though they are a small operation. At the other end of it is ASI, which handles many of the five-star events, but their offerings per athlete are very small. Brightroom is somewhat better, and at some races are stellar. Mike Cheliak, at the Multisport Canada events, comes up with nice stuff, but it's limited -- it's really just him, sometimes his wife. And even though Island Photo missed me passing the lighthouse, they were at a variety of locations. It's just too bad they caught me sitting up and scowling on the bike, agitated at the traffic jam! But in any given set of photos, there are several of me that are train wrecks, so those were just a couple in a long line of OMG! images. I am often oblivious of the photographer, so they catch me without any putting-on-of-a-good-face. (Not that I have a go-to face that works, but.....) I mean, had I known the photographer was there as I was all slowed down and being funneled around the turn, I might've made some effort to not look quite so miserable! Anyhow, as I said before ---- I'll let you know what I find of you! (I do so love a challenge!)

You DEVIL, you!     

I should have just kept quiet.        I`ve only been exposed to a few different photographers and am not really fond of Mike`s.    I find them way too dark.   Subaru series does a pretty good job.    Guess I`m going to have to start looking for those photographers and try and smile.  

2010-04-08 6:21 AM

Master
Kitchener
We are busy packing up for the trip and leaving later today.   Will be taking laptop so should be able to check in now and then.   Training will be messed up until probably Sunday now.   Lots of driving, but we will make sure we get out every couple of hours to stretch and walk around.   

Hope everyone has a great couple of weeks. 
2010-04-08 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2776084

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve B-

Yeah, I see what you mean about the Pirate Tri elevation chart.  Weird.  I can't explain it, because it is basically an out and back, so it should be a mirror image. 

One thing to be aware of is at mile 6.5 on the bike, there is a significant (fairly short) downhill with a sharp right turn at the bottom.  There is someone at the top of the hill and in the middle of the hill hollering at you to slow down, sharp right.  And they tell you about it at the pre-race talk (which I didn't give my full attention to because I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen for a while also doing his first tri).

The swim - everyone I talked to said it seemed shorter than advertised.  Not sure, it was my first tri like I said, so I couldn't tell.  I am psyched about that race this year.

Oh yes, and the Sox disappoint us yet again.  Bummer, I wanted Lacky to get a win last night.  At least this game doesn't count against him.  Being a Red Sox fan is like being on a roller coaster....I think they have a strong team overall this year, despite the losses the past 2 games, nothing really seems to matter until after the All-Star break anyway.  That is when I really want them to get on fire and burn through to Oct.  Trying to get to a game in May.

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-04-08 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2770259

New user
SteveB,

'Classic'? 'Skate'? No idea here...But that discussion can happen in 8 months or so!

The extra $$ does always help. Not sure I'll be ready for that bike or that wetsuit just yet...but maybe eventually!!

So I'm 1/3 through Week 4 of Fitz's level 5 sprint program. Seems to be going well. Looks like a lot of speed work coming up. I'm amazed by the distance of swimming he outlines with a lot of 'speed' work (lactate intervals and sprints). I guess we'll see in time if this actually increases my speed or not. Bike and run workouts are going fairly well overall. Though based on where I ride I am going further than called for on most rides by 15-20 minutes. Feeling good on the bike and that the spin classes has helped. Even with the fat knobby tires, I'm averaging just under 16mph for over an hour. I've got a set of skinny tires for it but wanted to get comfortable on the bike outside before putting those on.

As for running outside...This is the first real time that I've gone on a run by myself either at a park or through a neighbourhood (prior it was always as a sports team around the school track, court or field). Didn't monitor my pace during the run but when I checked the Garmin, I was impressed that my pacing was fairly good, including my normal 5 min walk warm up and cool down. Starting tomorrow, I am going to try getting up even earlier so I can go for a swim prior to coming into work. Not real enthused about this idea but it will free up my evenings a bit and I think might make my swim workouts a higher quality.

Side question about Fitz's plans. For the plan I am, 3 days a week there is a swim and run workout. On Wed and Fri the swim is listed above the run and on Sun the run is above the swim. Is he trying to say that is the order he thinks they should be performed?

Think that's about all for now...Hope everyone's doing well!!
2010-04-08 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2771048

New user
latestarter - 2010-04-06 11:06 AM
stevebradley - 2010-04-06 8:37 AM GANG! Okay, we have four options, and I vote for the fourth. The new groups may inherit the prime turf, but we'll just take our act underground -- becoming troglodyte triathletes! At least that's where I'LL be, and I'll take my nameplate with me so you'll know where to find me. I sure hope everyone continues along for the rest of the ride (as I said in warning #2 a few days ago, the season hasn't even begun for most of us), but if some decide that it's a good time to go to a different pary and see who's hanging out there, that's fine. (well...... ). Besides, I like the way "troglodyte triathletes" sounds.

Thanks for these warnings.   I would be SO disappointed if we had to disband.   Seems like we are just getting to know one another, and as you say, just getting into the season`s training.    There is going to be ALOT of support required on my part, from you Steve, and the rest of the group, to make this season a success.   DEFINITELY continuing on for the rest of the ride.  

I don't plan on going anywhere either!!

Been a great group and I'm sure this will help my first few tri's to be more of a success than they would have been without all of the advice and insight found within this group!
2010-04-08 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2773980

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Yes, that's a DeSoto wetsuit. I got the first generation of it in '03, and have used it in its various evolutionary stages ever since. I sometimes use a Xterra, but I really like the DeSoto. A two-piece takes getting used to, but once there it worsk really there. I think it is especially useful for someone like me, who has a relatively long torso and long arms. Having the freedom of an separate topic allows such simian types adequate shoulder/arm movement. If you want to more about the DeSoto wetsuit, just ask. (Also, my race clothes are DeSoto - you saw all three pieces in the Mightyman photos, and the three are there in my photo right here.)

Thanks for the run cooments. That stride/form took some working at, beginning with my first Newton shoes in Nov '07. That winter found me with sore calves and an eventual bout of plantar fasciitis which necessitated me taping my arch before EVERY run. That eased off, but then in early '09 I developed achilles problems that kept me from running for about six weeks, but which I have since learned to manage. There were lots of times I thought about just reverting to my former running style, which while somewhat successful was not ultra-efficient. So I just klept plugging away at it, believing in the basic precepts of Chi/Pose/Newton/forefoot-midfoot running, and it eventually paid off. There's an even longer version to that whole story, too, so if you want to hear that as well ---- just ask!

Great swim! 1:15 ought to put you at just about where you'll be at SG, right? I think I told you that my two irons had me doing 1:25 swims, and you're a better swimmer than I am, so I think 1:15 is a definite possibility. And based on your Showdown time, I believe that even more!

Trying to stay in front of a slightly faster swimmer is a good tactic, but usually I get nervous and take the opposite approach -- working my tokhis off to stay in his or her wake. I view this as a good exercise in drafting, although 29 times out of 30 I get "dropped" after 3-4 lengths -- and less, if they are good at flip turns (wwhich I cannot do).

That ought to work well, the 11-28. You have the full range in the 11/12/13 for serious hammering on descents, flats, and wind-assisted gems, and ample room with the 24 and 28 for the grinding climbs. Considering that a lot of people there will just have a 23, you are two cogs to the better than the majority, probably. I'm a pretty good climber, but on some of my toughest climbs with a 27, I would've like just that liiiiiitttlllle bit more, so your 28 should be good as gold. When are you first scheduled to try it out? Topanga, this weekend? I'll look forward to your assessment!

Good luck on the swim/run combo today! I'll send some hammy-specific mojo your way!

2010-04-08 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2776297

User image

Champion

ANNE! SHAUN!

You found us! Yay!

Roll call?
Denise
Tracey
Steve
Diane
Mandy
Anne
Shaun
me

Will more trickle in later today? I hope so!

And I'll be back to you two (Anne and Shaun) later.

2010-04-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2771365

New user
Whoops....this was meant for DIANE, I hope the sciata backs off for you! Good work on the swimming though! Like SteveB mentioned, you're making good progress on the swim. It's probably the hardest technique wise and the easiest to go back to a 'lazy' or comfortable stroke.  I'm finding falling back into a 'lazy' stroke becoming easier and easier as of late. Keep up the good form and you'll be doing good.
2010-04-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2771365

New user

Whoops! My bad Anne!

Maybe I'm confused, but weren't you at the Toronto bike show shopping for new wheels? So multiple sets of wheels and multiple bikes and only one set of pedals? I'm skewed the other way! multiple sets of shoes and pedals, yet only one bike (for now...) with only one set of wheels. However, seeing some cheap wheel sets available around me right now has me tempted to pick up a set, get a used or cheap 11-25 or 27 cassette and then all I have to do is swap rims and not change tubes/tires...

That'd be great if we could meet up at a race or some other event! It's always nice to put names to faces and get away from behind the computer screen.

Edited by smarx 2010-04-08 8:56 AM
2010-04-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2776308

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 7:49 PM
2010-04-08 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2772121

New user
latestarter - 2010-04-06 4:09 PM Good news from osteo - my right tibial bone was internally rotated (alot) causing knee alignment to be off.   Couldn`t say if the the pulling hamstring caused the rotation, or the tibal bone caused the hamstring problem - anyway, all balanced.    I think the yoga had something to do with it, with the moving, opening of the hips and pelvis and ligaments and tendons trying to realign themselves.   I am excited about it, (as I should be) as she put it.   Will check back with her at the end of April after cycling tour to see how everything is holding.    

I`m getting optimistic AGAIN.     

Great news!!!

2010-04-08 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2776308

New user
SteveB,

I was never that lost...More a matter of making the time to make a few posts!

This week has a new pair of polyester jammers coming my way (as the lycra pair was done in under 3 months) and a new pair of goggles which are an evolutionary design change of my old ones to have more peripheral vision (probably a good thing when I start swimming off line, Speed Vanquisher 2.0). Based on the support I got from SwimOutlet.com, I do recommend them. Prices are good and they offered advice (via live chat) for a jammer short that should last longer as well as a better goggle and tint for swimming in open water (shameless plug over).

Another random side story that has brought a smile to my face. Last week I had an asthama test done and to start off they checked my blood pressure and resting HR. BP to me was high (13x/8x) but HR was 59. I was thrown off by the BP and the nurse or assistant quite concerned about the HR. She didn't seem to completely buy me telling her the amount of biking, running and swimming I am doing. Made me laugh a bit.

Interesting results were that I showed a 10-15% difference in volume of air from having not used an inhaler all day (normally, never ever use an inhaler) vs using the an inhaler and waiting 15 minutes for it to take affect. Thinking I should probably start using my inhaler especially before swimming where my tendency is to under breath as it is.
2010-04-08 11:06 AM

User image

STEVE B,

I thought that was DeSoto stuff.  I have a pair of their cycling shorts and love them.  I got the 4-pocket types, which are GREAT because I can stick my gel flasks in the hip pockets on the run if I don't want to use a fuel belt, and that works great.  I could actually get 4 in there, but that seems excessive.  Best thing is that they don't move around at all, and also aren't too tight either. 

I ordered some DeSoto tops last week, but don't like the fabric on any of them - I think I'm going with an Orca top for the race.  Fabric is nice and soft, zipper is good, fit is nice and long (I am always conscious of my belly flopping around!) and the back pockets have that little flap to keep stuff from falling out.  Now, I have a shopping cart at a tri store ready with a wind/rain top and arm warmers depending on what the 5-day forecast looks like come late April.  The shop ships fee via UPS ground, so I have stuff next day if I need it. 

Good bike session last night, but terrible run today.  At 5 minutes in, I could feel the hammy.  At 40 I had to try and stretch it, and at 50 I threw in the towel.   I'm now trying to  formulate a plan for the next several weeks.  My hope this weekend is(was) to do the following:
Saturday:  80-mile ride / 1 hour brick (lots of climbing to get used to the new gearing)
Sunday:  I'm doing a 36 mile ride with Maggie's work (Amgen) on the Tour of California route in Thousand Oaks which I'd brick with a long run (18-20 miles). 

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I just start bagging the runs, just run until it starts to hurt, or run through the hamstring issues as long as the pain doesn't become acute.  The pain seems to have migrated up the hamstring (now at about the lower 1/3rd point, center of hamstring) - so it seems less specific to the connective tissue. 

Part of me is thinking I should try to get in this last final long run, then reduce the run mileage a ton before the race (very steep run taper) in the hopes it will heal in those three weeks.  Part of me is thinking that my run is my run, and start shutting it down now in the hopes of healing more. 

Of course, I want to get as much mileage in as I can during this last peaking week - I wasn't training long runs (over 13 miles) earlier in the hopes of preventing injury - so part of me thinks I need one more longish run. 

Decisions, decisions...

2010-04-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2776138

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
ANNE - have an awesome trip!

M - sounds like the swimming is coming along awesome! Congrats on your hard work paying off.

SHAUN - congrats on the new XC set up.  It will be great for next season for sure.

DIANE - I hope the sciatica clears up.  That stinks!

STEVE A - be nice to that hamstring, ice it, compress it, elevate it.  Give it some love.  Sending good hammie mojo your way.  Great photos BTW - you look strong and relaxed.  I hope I look half that good when I crawl across the finish line at Timberman HIM.

STEVE B - Great photos - I wish I looked that relaxed when I was running. 

Re: Race photos - I have never had a good one.  Ever.  I am going for that this year, so I am guaranteed to PB at something, even if it is my PB race photo.  Now there is a goal I think I can achieve.

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-04-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2776084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-08 6:14 AM

MANDY -

That's what's so odd about the elevation chart -- no mirror image. Like I said, they need to recalibrate their GPS stuff.

My father took me to loads of Red Sox games throughout my childhood -- the Sox and the Bruins were his preferred teams-of-choice. (He was actually more of a Braves fan before they moved to Milwaukee in '53, but made the switch seamlessly to the Sox.)

I love them, but I still haven't forgiven the management for replacing the Big Screen in order to creat the "monster seats". There was nothing more beautiful in all of sports than to see a ball loft into the screen, settle there for a split second, and then gently roll down. Sigh.

The last two games have been not-so-nice, of course. As I said to tracey a day or two ago, this seems to be their recent pattern -- win the opener, then lose a few. That this has happened this year against the Yankees just makes it many times more excruciating. And here it is, three games into the season, and I'm already feeling excruciated? Oh my.

Let's not start worrying yet - it's only April!

2010-04-08 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2776551

User image

Champion

Yes, M, I see you back there. You can stop waggling your arm now, dear.

2010-04-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2778288

User image

Champion

M -

See above.........and you makes us nine. (Hey, we got ourselves a baseball team!)

Groovetime Grizzlies

Groovetime Grebes

Groovetime Greyhounds

Groovetime Grouse (works both singular and plural)

Groovetime Grits (Uh, we get along so well, you can see we are in perfect HOMINY! )

Groovetime Grackles

Groovetime Grenadiers

Groovetime Griffins

Groovetime Grosbeaks

Groovetime Grindstones (??)

Oh, never mind.........

2010-04-08 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2774076

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

You and Ed both! Ed usually comes to the swims with Sheila, but she was alone yesterday. When I asked her where he was, she told me he had forgotten his suit. You two!!

Don't feel bad about the somewhat lethargic brick -- there are those days for all of us when the run part of it just doesn't go according to plan. Probably the next time will be stellar; it often works that way.

Brilliantly played, though, the nap! When in doubt....... zzzzzzzzzzzz

I have some small concerns about neuromas for me, just so you know. Something is amiss in both feet today, the right alone two days ago. I'm not quite ready to scream NEUROMA!!!!!!!!!! yet, but I do have my worries. Gulp.

Have you played with the Tempo Trainer yet? It took me a while to figure it out, but it works best when the disc itself is removed from the bracket/holder thingy and placed inside your swim cap. I place mine about an inch above my left temple. (I guess that makes me a left-templed tempo-er.)

2010-04-08 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2776824

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

If the jammers you got are made by Tyr, you'll be very happy -- they last a very long time. The technology for this stuff has soemhow vastly improved in the past few years, as 6 months used to be the norm, and now it's almost double that, And even if yours aren't Tyr, it's probably pretty much the same fabric technology across the board. Hope you like 'em!

IMHO, there is no such thing as a shameless plug. All of this information is valuable, as there are lots of companies out there but not all of them treat the consumer equally. I have never used SwimOutlet.com, but I will check them out. For my goggles I use a palce in Florida......the name of which escapes me. For general tri stuff I have used www.tri-zone.com, right from the start (2000). Having said that, though, I haven't ordered from them in about a year. It's time to place one!

When I'm healthy, my waking heart rate is about 41/42 -- slightly above that of an amphibian, I think. (Or a dead person. ) The first time I had my BP and HR taken after I started workout out intensively, my doctor had a similar response to yours. Once explained, it was all good! I religiously take my waking HR every morning, just as an indicator of how I might be feeling underneath it all. And over the course of the past 12 days with this cold, it's been 46-50, as opposed to low 40s. I'd say that's pretty telling!

You might be surprised by how many people use inhalers before races. I've never used one so I don't really understand them --- even though Lynn DOES use it and I SHOULD understand it! (Now I feel bad..... )

Must.....make.....amends!

2010-04-08 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2776138

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Are you off yet?

If you read the fine print on your Groovetime contract, you will know that you are obligated to post every 200 miles when travelling somewhere by car. And once at desired location, the posting regimen switches to every eight hours. (But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, am I?)

Happy trails!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276