BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-09 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2781648

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

STEVE -

Real quick here (gotta leave phone line free).

New issue (May) of Triathlete, article on the ironman taper. Here's the begiining of the section on "Timeline":

"Six to eight weeks out: Decrease the quantity of speed and strength work.
Six weeks out: Increase race speed-specific workouts.
Four to six weeks out: Shift your fous to endurance.
Ten to 14 days out: Last endurance race-specific effort (3-hour bike/40-minute run).
Seven to 10 days out: Last long endurance sessions (ride and run). this is about volume, not intensity, so keep it easy.
As you head into the final week before race day, i recommend frequebnt 20- to 40-minute sessions in all three disciplines. The goal is to maintain neuromuscular pathways......"

The author of this article is Alun Woodward, and tomorrow I will rteurn with any further insights. (There's some stuff, at the very least, on rest days in the final week. Stay tuned!)

2010-04-10 4:21 AM
in reply to: #2781619

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-09 10:38 PM MANDY - Given the length of time of your swim layoff, slow is fine! Form is bound to deteriorate, but should rediscover itself before too long --- or are you still pool-access-challenged? Serious mojo being sent your way vis-a-vis that impish calf of yours! Here's to a rollicking good 18 miles!

Still pool access challenged, one lake still has ice on it, the other is 38 degrees. I wish I could go back today. I can't wait to get into open water. 

The leg is concerning me, but I am up and ready to give the 18 a go.  What I think I need is 2 or so weeks off from running, but if I do that, the marathon is kaput.  I will pull the plug if I have to, but hope I don't have to do that.

STEVE A - I hope your leg issues are getting better!

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-04-10 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Still Here Just haven't been posting much,  but I am keeping up with everything

Everyone have a great weekend 
2010-04-10 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2781822

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

Glad you're still here! You now make eleven, and we can morph from baseball team to football team, adding in the process another team-name choice:

Groovetime Gridironers

That satisfies both the addled football team concept and the goals of several folks here to do irons and half-irons!

How's your back doing? And, are you still responding well to the Newtons?

2010-04-10 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2781906

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Here's another excerpt from the Woodward article, this from the part on "Rest Days":

"I don't recommend a complete day off during the final week before an Ironman. But if you take one, do it two days out from the race. Most endurance athletes will feel terrible the day after a rest day, as if something is not quite right. It takes an athlete's body a day or so to get back into the groove........You are better off scheduling a rest for earluier in the week if it usually takes you a few days to feel normal again.......On the final day before the race, do a 10-minute routine in each discipline to make sure you are set for race day. This is a little test drive for your body but also for your race equipment. After that, you're ready to go!"

--Alun Woodward, "Triathlete", May 2010

2010-04-10 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2781906

User image

Champion

SPECIAL NEEDS BAGS

This topic has come up recently, and before long Steve will be making some decisions about his at Ironman St. George. The new issue of Triathlete magazine has an article by Bethany Leach on them, with a sidebar listing what several professionals put in their s.n. bags. So, the following is for the edification and amusement of anyone interested in this!

MIRINDA CARFRAE
bike:
-two fun-size Snickers
run:
-small bottle of Coke
-GU Roctane

MICHAL LOVATO
bike:
-two bottles of EFS
-extra gel falsk with EFS Liquid Shot
-a couple of mini Snickers

CRAIG ALEXANDER
bike:
-extra gel flasks and salt tablets
run:
-Red Bull in flasks
-water bottle to pour on head

T.J. TOLLAKSON
-four gels of PowerGel (green apple)
-water bottle with flat Red Bull
-Payday bar
-PowerGel Gel Blasts (cola)
-three oatmeal creme pies (Little Debbie brand)
-PowerBar smoothie bar (berry blast)

JOANNA ZIEGER
-bottle of PowerBar Endurance
-extra salt tablets
-a few gels

BREE WEE
bike:
-back up salts
run:
-back up salts
-extra socks

Carfrae doesn't often take her bags. Lovato says "I love to have back-ups." Zieger says "I always take the bottle, but not the others , unless they fall off my bike." Wee says "But I like knowing the bags are there just in case."

T.J. Tollakson of the eclectic list says "I have typically consumed the whole gel flask, the Payday bar, at least two creme pies and the gel blasts. the rest of the fuel in the bag is just in case. I might feel like I ned more caloires, or I might need some more caffeine (Red Bull). I might just need a different taste (smoothie bar). I like to have options."

2010-04-10 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2781502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-04-09 9:24 PM

stevebradley - 2010-04-09 7:54 AM ANNE - Oh, geez, don't you just hate that when it happens --- when Spousal Unit offers advice, and you ignore it, and it turns out their instincts were correct?? In your case, though, at least you got a good wedding story out of it! Where are you now, maybe West Virginia?

Actually we are in Chattanooga.   We are taking the quick drive down and plan to take a leisurely drive back home through West Virginia and other places.    Although even the I75 drive through Kentucky and Tennessee is quite beautiful.   Sure beats the 401.

They questioned us for 15 minutes at the border this morning.   Hate to see what they do with shady looking characters.  
Was sunny and blue skies from Dayton on and the temp warmed up about Knoxville - 25 and sunny and supposed to be like that for the next several days.

Tonight and tomorrow morning is the last I will have internet access until maybe Tuesday when I visit a friend.   We are camping the next 3 nights.  

Wanted to mention that I read an article on running in the Globe yesterday.   Did you see it?  There was a diagaram of a leg, pointing out common running injuries and saw that there is a tendon called the Patellar tendon just about the tibia bone below the knee cap.   That is where I have been having soreness and tenderness when I say 'the knee'.   Also in the left knee, but to a much, much lesser degree - but I could notice it.    What is the cause of that and is it serious?   Fixed easily?   

Sorry to hear you are having a bad bout with running - hope it all settles down quickly.

Anne:

Sounds like you have a great vacation ahead of you!

I'm going to have to check out that article.

2010-04-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2779252

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-09 7:54 AM

ANNE -

Oh, geez, don't you just hate that when it happens --- when Spousal Unit offers advice, and you ignore it, and it turns out their instincts were correct??

Can I just say, that happens to me ALL the time? My husband is very grounded and sensible. Me on the other hand, emotions sometimes tend to get in the way of my good judgement!

2010-04-10 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Back hip or whatever the problem is well.  Still don't know what caused it I am back in the Brooks right now because that is what I will use in the Warrior Dash, and I don't know if that might have had an effect on my hip or maybe trying to stay aero in the bike for so long, and I did have a fit done around Christmas.  So right now running in the Brooks and riding the roadie everything is good. Down a total of 11 lbs
2010-04-10 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey all-

Hope your training went well.

Had an interesting run this am on the dirt roads near my house.  I was lucky enough to have a friend run with me - she is much faster than me, but it was fun following her footprints in the snow...So the run started out with an inch of snow, then some ankle deep mud, and ended with a wrong turn which made my 18 mile run turn into a 21 mile run...or so...oops. 

The two of us are a bad combo, she came running back to me with this look on her face, and I hadn't been paying attention to anything but her footprints...We both burst out laughing and went exploring (we both hate to back track), eventually finding our way out to the main road (through more mud and snow).  We came out 6 miles (instead of 2) from the house.  Sooo, the good news is the leg felt OK for most of it. Pace was 9:50/mile, which is ok for me on a long run with some challenges on it.

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-04-10 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2781925

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
STEVE B - love the special needs bags lists...I like Carfrae's fun sized snickers bars....but the 3 oatmeal cream pies have me scratching my head...too funny.

2010-04-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2782050

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Two lefts and a sharp right........and you would've ended up in Millinocket!

(But like in "Which Way to Millinocket?", that old Bert and I sketch ----- "Ya can't get they-ah from he-ah.")

21 -- very good!
In yucky terrain -- very good!
That pace -- very good!
Shin obedience -- VERY good!

2010-04-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2781960

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

Good news that your back/hip/whatever is no longer giving you grief! Sometimes switcheroos with shoes solve most of the problems, which is why I always keep mine around long after I have first seemingly outused them. If there is a Statute of Limitations on how long groddy old running shoes should be kept around, I'm not aware of it!

Good combo for you now, anyhow, the Brooks and the roadie. And congrats on the 11 pounds! Are you still aiming for more, or is that about as low as you want to go?

2010-04-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2781960

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Dwayne -

The Warrior Dash sounds fun. 

I run in Brooks too, I tried to switch to Newtons, but went back to Brooks with the calf issue (which might have had nothing to do with the Newtons, but I went back to what I was using pre-injury

Congrats on being down 11 lbs!
2010-04-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2782071

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve B-

Thanks for the props - icing and elevating, compressing later.  I am happy with today.

I think it hurts more when I am not running (like walking, sitting, climbing stairs) now but we will see.

Yup, you can't get theah from heah - too funny, and true! 

And you have no idea how right you are about my proximity to Millinocket if I ran far enough on that road.  Ha, too funny.

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-04-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2781332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-09 7:59 PM

TRACEY -

Maybe it WILL turn out to be just a blip, but I do indeed think it's a budding neuroma. This one is the same foot as the one that was removed in Jan '06, but that one was between the 2nd and 3rd toes, and this time it's the more conventional 3rd/4th junction. Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Of course, I'm hoping it resolves itself soon, gets better before it gets worse. It might be time to dig out my metatarsal pads!

Bad few days with the lower body. The neuroma, and then after yesterday's run BOTH plantar fasciia, and today in the gym I moved a bench and cracked it against my shin -- just about where I had the stress fracture in '00 and a subsequent hairline fracture in '03. Gulp. And my runs for several months now have been sooooo good!

So, I think I'll try to take tomorow off from running and give things another day to settle down. If bad things come in 3s, then I've just met my quota - neuroma, PF, tibia thwap. Now they all just need to go away, preferably as quickly as they appeared!

I'm glad you've made friends with the Tempo Trainer. What's the trendy acronym for it - BFF?

That is a good visualization for swimming, the one about the ladder. I'd forgotten it, which is kind of surprising (or maybe not, for someone of my advanced years......and encroaching dotage? )

I've never been a golfer, but I once read that swimming is very much like golfing in the lengthy checklist that needs to be run through, all the time. I've been playing with the pitch of my entering hand, so virtually every stroke I am thinking about depth and angle, depth and angle, depth and angle -- along with all the other picayune details. So, I dig where you're coming from!

Gosh I hope you don't have any injuries crop up now, just at the start of racing season.

Was just wondering, have you ever tried/explored acupuncture for any of your injuries?

2010-04-10 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2781442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-09 8:56 PM

Hey all! Hope you are ready for a good weekend.  It is a wet one here.  I swam today for the first time in a month, it was good, but I am SLLLLOOOOW.  And get tired quickly which stinks, and I blame on form more than anything. 

Tomorrow I have an 18 mile run planned, hoping the calf holds up.  It has been hot and cold lately.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Mandy

Mandy:

18 mile run? God love ya!!!

2010-04-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2781641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-09 11:00 PM

TRACEY and MANDY -

Sox just gave up two with two outs in the bottom of the 8th, and K.C. is now ahead 4-3. Bloody hell!

But you're right! It's early April! Too early to panic! Everything will be hunky-dory!

(And at least the Evil Empire got clobbered by the Rays tonight. So there! Take that, stupid Yankees fans everywhere!)

SteveB:

I love that you have a strong dislike for Yankees fans!

As obnoxious as Red Sox fans can be (not you Mandy!), Yankees fans just seem so much more so. (Am I biased though?)

2010-04-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2782045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-10 11:11 AM

Hey all-

Hope your training went well.

Had an interesting run this am on the dirt roads near my house.  I was lucky enough to have a friend run with me - she is much faster than me, but it was fun following her footprints in the snow...So the run started out with an inch of snow, then some ankle deep mud, and ended with a wrong turn which made my 18 mile run turn into a 21 mile run...or so...oops. 

The two of us are a bad combo, she came running back to me with this look on her face, and I hadn't been paying attention to anything but her footprints...We both burst out laughing and went exploring (we both hate to back track), eventually finding our way out to the main road (through more mud and snow).  We came out 6 miles (instead of 2) from the house.  Sooo, the good news is the leg felt OK for most of it. Pace was 9:50/mile, which is ok for me on a long run with some challenges on it.

Cheers,

Mandy

Yay! Sounds like a great run.

2010-04-10 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2782154

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
thall0672 - 2010-04-10 12:55 PM As obnoxious as Red Sox fans can be (not you Mandy!), Yankees fans just seem so much more so. (Am I biased though?)

Ha! Thanks Tracey!  I do have my moments though....Yankees fans are the worse, sore losers every one of them...My mother is a Yankees fan and she is completely obnoxious, way worse than me.  Tongue out

Cheers!
2010-04-10 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2782154

User image

Champion

TRACEY and MANDY -

And have you both noticed that roughly 94% of dopey-looking males ages 12-28 who wear oversized mock baseball caps, backwards or sideways, have the Yankees logo on the cap? Now if THAT doesn't tell you something, I don't know what does!

My heart is throbbing today for the Bruins, who were leading 3-0 early in the 2nd, but now at the end of two periods it is 3-2. Gulp. I'm not going out on my bike until that game is over, even though it is not carried on any of our channels. Boo-hoo.

2010-04-10 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2782245

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Many of my injuries haven't been ons that acupuncture works well for. When I had my tibial stress fracture in '00 it was first diagnosed as shin splints and I received acupuncture for that --- until the s.f. diagnsis was made. And I think I had a bit of acup for my impinged shoulder a few years ago; I'm sure of it, in fact.

For stuff like p.f. and Achilles, acup isn't reliable; same for neuomas. Alas and woe!

2010-04-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2782252

User image

Champion

MANDY -

It probably wasn't the Newtons per se, but maybe the fact that they encourage a runner to be more on their midfoot or forefoot, which engages the calves in ways they haven't likley been engaged before. Many people suffer calf woes when they start with Chi or Pose running, but it will improve with time. I certainly experienced that when I "transitioned" in late '07 into early '08, but I persevered and am glad of it.

The first great thing I noticed about Newtons is that they immeidately removed any of my neuroma tendencies --- which is why the one the past couple of runs has surprised me. Maybe my metatarsals have shifted again despite the Newtons, and are now pressing on the nerve. But one of the claims Newton make is that they help to separate the metatarsals, and that was difinitely something I noticed, right from my very first run.

I love the weight of them, and their airiness, and the fact that I can run sockless in them. The pricetag always terrifies me -- and as I'm now on my TENTH pair, I've been terified a lot! But even though I sometimes think of going back to a conventional shoe just for the sake of money, I never bring myself to pull that trigger.

Okay, it's back to folloing the Bruins on www.nhl.com, trying to make dumb old dial-up work feebly in my favor.

Rest those weary legs!!

2010-04-10 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2782263

User image

Champion

5:59 to go in the 3rd, Bruins clinging to the one-goal lead.........

2010-04-10 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2782285

User image

Champion

3:36 left, still 3-2.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276