BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-15 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2792748

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

M -

Honest, I AM sorry you had a bike-fall........but I'm having lots of fun reading the follow-ups on it. The whole concept of evil gloating was a hoot, and now there is the refrain of "bad bike". You certainly know how to put a happy face on an unhappy situation!

2010-04-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2793317

User image

Champion

M again -

(Although looking at those photos recently after my crash last year, I was hamming it up some -- even though I was in considerable discomfort on several fronts. I guess there are times when we just have to laugh to keep from crying, eh? )

"Bad bike", indeed!

2010-04-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2792622

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Somehow I don't think that finding friends has ever been a problem for you!

But if you can't, I'd love to do the trip. I did a similar thing for one of my other group last year, which was to drive to the Mooseman course and ride it 1.5 times in her prep for Moosey, which was to be her first HIM. (We would've done part of the run, too, but she got stuck in traffic coming up from NJ and we were very late in starting, so the run didn't happen.)

I should warn you, though, that maybe me doing this imparts some bad luck, because the week before Moosey she got really sick and had to bail on the race. You wouldn't want that to happen to you, now, would you?

I've done nutso training days before, so why not again? For me it's an early morning wake-up, a 6-7 hour drive, a rideand/orbikeand/orswim, and then a drive back home. Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, keep me in mind -- although I'm sure there's a legion of BT Timberfolk who are looking to do the same as you. And by the by, i'm a huge supporter of trying to train at least once on a course before an IM or HIM, so if you can make it happen for it, by all means do it!

2010-04-15 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2793343

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

You think the recent calf complaints might be work-related? Well, you know my solution for THAT!

(And in my role as a Full Service Mentor, I willingly write notes excusing one from work or any other onerous responsibilities. . And at no cost to you, I might add -- just one of those sevices I provide!)

2010-04-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2793351

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve B -

Getting a note from my mentor to skip work to train would be awesome!!  You would do that for me?? 

I think the calf thing might be from a dog walk after the 21 miler I did - a dog ran right into my bad calf, and since then, it has been really bugging me.  Please note complete, utter denial of it haveing anything at all to do with the run.

I haven't run this week yet, mostly because of works schedule, but also because of this leg I am dragging around behind me.  I am going to try a short run tomorrow, but if it is bad I will bike instead of run as that doesn't seem to be a problem at all.  Maybe make the drive to swim.  This weekend is a 10 miler, then a 20 miler next week.  Then the marathon is coming right up.  Holy cow, that came quick.

The lake is warmed up to 39 degrees!! Almost time to swim! 

2010-04-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2793343

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve B (and anyone else who is interested )

Regarding Timberman scout - I would love to do it with you!  A day the weekend of the 16th (including the 16th) would work for me - I think that is in the date range you sent me, I can't figure out how to go back there and check at this second.  And a month out from the race, so the timing is pretty perfect.  I will pencil in that weekend, and if you can come, I would love it.  Just think, I get to pump my mentor for advice and info live and in person! Very cool.

But wow, that is a lot of driving for you, so if it doesn't work out on your end, I understand.  I had planned on doing the entire bike and running one loop of the run course. 

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-04-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2793317

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:09 PM
2010-04-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

So, first PT session today.

Untrasound, electrodes, deep tissue and stretching.  All was good but the deep tissue - man, that HURT!  lol

As for the tear thing, the doc was very mellow about it.  Apparently, most things like this are considered "tears" - its just a matter of degree.  Did some research online and from what I can tell, Class 1 is what we'd call a strain.  When I described the severe limping and inability to put weight on it in the first two weeks, he immediately threw out "class 2".  From what I can tell, reading online, it was borderline if it was that.  Sounds like a Class 3 is the "pop!" sound you hear about from time to time.  In other words, I think Class 1 tear is like a first degree sunburn, Class 2 is like a second degree sunburn - painful, something to be taken care of, but not too big a deal as long as you take care of it.

Anyway, I'm scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday next week, and then Monday and Wednesday the week of the race. 

Had a GREAT and fun trainer session yesterday - 45 minutes, and at a much higher intensity than I'd done in a while due to the shorter duration.  Felt very energized afterward - the body is really responding to the lighter load already, as workouts seem much more energized.  Maybe psychological from knowing the session is only 45-60 minutes vs. the 60-120 they have been.

2010-04-15 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2792485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-04-14 6:02 PM

[

THAT SAID, here's a personal take (and I have no specific training in this...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express....).  My wife has recently begun a more regimented exercise program - and is doing a great job of being very consistent with it.  Challenge is that she is now constantly hungry - her appetite is much greater than before.  I had the same experience when I dropped my 20 last year.  And, hate to say it, but from my experience (admittedly just me), that hunger is a necessary evil.  It's the body's way of saying, "if you don't feed me, I'm gonna use something else for fuel - namely you!"  Heh.  What's worse, when I was hungry, I was hungry for carbs!  I think that is natural as well when doing a lot of cardio/aerobic based exercise.  So you are not only hungry, but when you are eating your proteins, you body is screaming for carbs. 

Anyway, it's a dangerous time, weight wise, when you start a new higher volume aerobic period, as it takes an hour to burn off 600 calories, and 5 minutes to eat them...and 100 more!  UGH!

All I can say is that for me, it went away - the hunger.  Body and metabolism have changed,  I'm able to eat a LOT more than I ever used to, and no longer put the weight on (as long as I keep exercising!).  But, there were several months there where I was literally hungry all the time, and had to look at eating like I looked at running or riding a bike...it was going to be uncomfortable at times...and that meant it was working.

SteveA:

I love the Holiday Inn Express reference... my favorite of those commercials was the one with the rodeo clown.

It's interesting what you say about the hunger being a necessary evil. After I read your post, I thought back to when I was on Weight Watchers and was really on a roll, losing 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week consistently. And I DO remember feeling hungry a lot. Those nights of going to bed with the grumbly stomach were pretty frequent. And it didn't matter how much I changed up what I ate, it still happened. I also remember being at a meeting once and overhearing a woman chatting with a new member about the program and telling her, "Get ready to be hungry." So maybe you're right. In order to lose weight and keep it off, maybe it's just a matter of having to accept that you're just going to feel hungry!

Whenever you read articles, see advertisements or read books about a diet plan, they always say that if you follow this plan, you won't go hungry. I doubt that's true for everyone. My Weight Watchers leader used to say that you don't have to feel hungry to lose weight. But I always followed the recommendations (eating fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains), and STILL was hungry. And, like your wife, now that I'm training regularly and more intensely, I'm ALWAYS hungry it seems. But I suppose you're right, it's like your body is saying, hey, I'm not used to this fat burning stuff, so here, have some hunger pangs! Feed me!

I chatted briefly with the nutritionist on the phone today and made an appointment for next week. She said that my case is typical of her clients. Good to know she's got experience dealing with this!

By the way, congratulations on losing 20 pounds and keeping it off! And it's great that you can eat to fuel yourself without gaining. That's my goal too.

Thanks,

Tracey
2010-04-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2792490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-14 6:06 PM

Tracey,

I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been in the same boat for years now and it's super hard to lose that extra weight.

I don't have any insight when it comes to dietitians, but I can offer some other tips when it comes to weight loss and dieting. They all seem pretty straightforward, so I apologize if it's something you already know.

Here are a few of my tips, as well as some websites to try. Sorry this is so long.

I'm always super hungry after swimming, but that seems be a natural thing, I've read. Turns out being in cold water makes you feel that way. So I just eat dinner (or breakfast, depending on the time of day I go) right afterwards, instead of snacking, like I used to do. And I try to make super filling meals for those days.

Also, eating slowly totally helps. That one I've had to teach myself to do because I used to have a job where it was "eat when you can cuz you never know when you'll have time", which led to years of scarfing down every meal. And since it takes about 20 minutes after eating to feel full, you may actually have filled yourself up, but haven't noticed and continue eating.

Eating a fiber-rich breakfast is the best thing you can do to kick-start your day. Keeps you full for hours, there's lots of variety, and it's very good for you.

Also, exercising as much as you do, you probably need to be eating more than 1300 calories. I tried restricting my calories a lot in order to lose weight, but was always going hungry. I finally invested in a calorie counter thingy that measured how many calories I burned (GoWear Fit or BodyBugg) and realized I was eating way too little to sustain myself on workout days. I upped my calories to 1600-1900 and was happier, more energized, and still kept losing weight.

So have you tried figuring out your BMR? I know the calculators online are all different, but when I compared the equations to what I was actually burning, it wasn't that far off.

By the way, BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate, meaning calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. I have had days where I did that (Monday would be a prime example when I was sick as a dog and didn't do much of anything) and the equation underestimated my calorie burn by 100 calories as compared to my armband thingy. So I think it's pretty accurate, or as accurate as an equation can be.

Here's the one that has worked for me:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php

And a couple websites to try:
www.sparkpeople.com - Good for food tracking and also low-calorie but filling recipe ideas. There's also a food-tracking option, which can also suggest meals (complete with recipes) if you want that. They also have plenty of articles and blogs which address the hunger and other diet-related issues. Very helpful.

www.3fatchicks.com - Great forum for weight-loss support. There are plenty of men and women on there with the same concerns you've stated and I'm sure you can find some better dietitian tips on there than I can offer. Either search the forums or join and post a question. People are super supportive and helpful. It's also a great place to go to keep you motivated and on-track. And everything you said in your post has been addressed more than once on that forum. People struggle with it every day and it's very nice to go on there and hear how you can overcome it.

Now, these definitely aren't tri-specific nutritional suggestions, but when it comes to dieting and losing weight, they're great.

Hope that helped at least a little bit.

Kasia

Hi Kasia. Thanks for these suggestions!

I always felt hungry after swimming too when I first started. That phenomenon seems to have tapered off though now that I swim regularly. But I always catch myself in situations where I need to be out for a few hours, so I eat something beforehand and think that'll hold me over until I get home. But then I end up starving while I'm out, and get tempted to grab a bagel with cream cheese at Dunkin Donuts! So clearly I need to stock my car with healthy snacks. I need to try to think of things that will hold up in either extreme cold or extreme heat so I don't have to worry about keeping the stuff in the car for a few days at a time.

Eating slowly is a good reminder too. I am often guilty of eating my dinner standing up at the kitchen counter. I find it's easier than sitting down to eat, because when I eat with my 3 year old son, I'm constantly having to get up to get something for him anyway. Funny, the only time I actually sit down to enjoy dinner is when I'm having a glass of wine with it. Maybe that means I need to drink wine more often.

What kinds of things do you eat for breakfast? I always eat either old fashioned oatmeal (usually with raisins or walnuts mixed in), or I eat eggs. I need more variety there.

I'm going to check out that BMR calculator on the web site you mentioned. I've calculated mine before but was never really sure if it was accurate, so it's good to know that when you checked your calorie burn against it, it was pretty accurate.

I got a great recipe from the 3fatchicks web site before but never realized it was an online group! I thought it was a blog. I'll have to check it out.

Thank you for these suggestions!

Tracey

2010-04-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2784271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
midlifeinsanity - 2010-04-11 10:57 PM

Got the bike.  Got the chain screwed up.  Got the wipeout.  Got the five point landing:  both knees, hand, other hand, chin.   Got the nesporin & aleve.  Got the rest break until everything heals.  Yell  -  M

Ouch! M - do you wear gloves when you ride? I think I need to invest in some, because I know it's just a matter of time before I wipe out. Especially once I start riding clipless.

2010-04-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2790218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-14 4:17 AM

I tried the catch-up drill several of you suggested for the swim and did get my stroke count down pretty significantly, but it was at the cost of a much slower swim (I think it was a 17 sec difference for 25 m). I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, so any suggestions for that?

Kasia

Kasia:

The only advice I can give is to just keep practicing swimming that way. You might have been slower just because the move is somewhat new to you, but once it starts feeling more natural as you practice, the speed will "catch up" (no pun intended...).

I make it a point to focus on swimming this way for each of my sessions, and my speed continues to improve (although verrrrryyyy slowly...)

Good luck!

Tracey

2010-04-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2790219

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-14 4:22 AM

ANNE (and other wide-hipped and large-chested ladies) -

I know we talked about this months ago (at least I think it was with you), but I don't remember the discussion. I've been looking at tri-specific clothing, mostly wetsuits and race shorts, but have found that almost everything runs extremely small. I figured that would be the case cuz triathletes tend to be smaller people, but I didn't think it would be to this extreme, which makes it very frustrating on my end.

After looking at the tri-zone.com website both Steves talked about, it seems the only brand (of the four offered) that makes shorts in anything close to my size is De Soto. And there's nothing at all when it comes to tops. So, are there any other brands you would recommend? What about wetsuits?

Thanks in advance!
Kasia

Hi Kasia. Have you checked out 2XU wetsuits? I'm in the same situation as you with fitting, I think. I'm short (5'3") but weigh more than what most wetsuits can accommodate at that height (and carry most of it in the hips/thighs). Most brands would be way too long for me if I ordered the size I need based on my weight. Here's their website:

http://www.2xu.com/swim/

And this is the chart for their women's sizing (sorry it's a little off-kilter but you can find it on the website):

WETSUITS
Women Height (cm) Height (ft) Weight (kg) Weight (lbs)
Extra Small 142 - 162 4'9'' - 5'3'' 40 - 50 88 - 110
Small 150 - 165 4'11'' - 5'5'' 47 - 57 104 - 126
Small / Med 155 - 175 5'1'' - 5'9'' 55 - 66 121 - 146
Medium 160 - 175 5'3'' - 5'9'' 64 - 72 141 - 159
Large 165 - 180 5'5'' - 5'11'' 68 - 80 150 - 176

I'm looking at either the Team or Elite suit.

2010-04-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2793492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-15 9:55 AM

Steve B (and anyone else who is interested )

Regarding Timberman scout - I would love to do it with you!  A day the weekend of the 16th (including the 16th) would work for me - I think that is in the date range you sent me, I can't figure out how to go back there and check at this second.  And a month out from the race, so the timing is pretty perfect.  I will pencil in that weekend, and if you can come, I would love it.  Just think, I get to pump my mentor for advice and info live and in person! Very cool.

But wow, that is a lot of driving for you, so if it doesn't work out on your end, I understand.  I had planned on doing the entire bike and running one loop of the run course. 

Cheers,

Mandy

Mandy and SteveB:

I know you're both doing the HIM, but will either of you be around on Saturday (the day of the sprint?) I'd love to meet you both!

Tracey

2010-04-15 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Hello all.

Can anyone recommend a good bike trainer or roller? I'd like to stay under $300.

Thanks!

Tracey

2010-04-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2794580

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Tracey-I will be there Thu-Mon - and plan on doing some volunteering in the morning of the sprint, then some watching - I will be cheering you on! SO we will definitely have to meet before the race so I know who I am cheering for! Cheers,Mandy

2010-04-15 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2794582

User image

thall0672 - 2010-04-15 1:00 PM Hello all. Can anyone recommend a good bike trainer or roller? I'd like to stay under $300. Thanks! Tracey

LOVE my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.  Listed at $369, I found mine on e-Bay for $275 or so. 
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=kurt+kinetic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I ordered mine from one of the "buy it now" listings that had it in the low $300's and made an offer on it, and they took it.  I heart e-Bay at times!

2010-04-15 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Wow, just finished reading the last 15 pages and need to read 10 more before that.  I'm here and accounted for!  It's been a rough 2 weeks.  Tried to get a run in about 1 1/2 weeks ago to clear my head a bit, and OD'd on the oak pollen, so have been struggling with chest congestion since then.  Was actually waking up at night worried about my training and afraid I may have forgotten how to run.  Finally got out for a 3 mile run again last night and it felt good.  Swimming, biking - not at all for the last few weeks.  Having to ditch Lone Star on the 24th, as we'll be making a trip to Oklahoma City ... at least I'd already planned on taking that Friday off.  A bit disappointed (even though my husband kindly told me there was a half mary in OKC that I could run in that weekend ... sure on 2 weeks noticeUndecided), but have another sprint tri scheduled for May 1st.  Hoping I can get back to some decent training between now and then.  Planning on a 10K race this weekend ... we'll see how that goes!

STEVE B, sorry to hear you're having some foot issues. Have they improved?

SHAUN, I ordered a suit from Swim Outlet a couple months ago.  Since then some Aquasphere goggles, swim cap, mesh bag.  Very pleased with everything.  And congrats on your swimming!

MANDY, great run on the 10th. When is your marathon?

TRACY, I liked the idea of thinking about climbing a ladder when swimming ... I'll have to try that (if I ever get back to the pool!).  I have a CycleOps trainer and like it.  Good luck with the nutrition, something I struggle with as well.  How many meals do you eat a day?  I've found that if I eat 5-6 smaller meals, I don't get nearly as hungry.  I enjoy nuts for snacks and find them to be filling.

ANNE, hope you are enjoying your bike trip?  Where exactly in Florida is the ride?

M and DENISE, sorry to hear about your bike accidents. Yikes!

DWAYNE, congrats on the 11 lb weight loss.  When is the Warrior Dash?

DIANE, sorry to hear that you won't be heading down this way for the super sprint in May.  Hope the sciatica gets better.

CATHY D, welcome back!

STEVE A, great pics from Showdown and congrats on the century ride.  Enjoy your taper (and physical therapy)!!

MARK, just checked your logs ... looks like you are doing a great job!

KASIA, I wear a one piece Orca suit ... just don't like how the two pieces tend to roll.  I'm 5'9 and 165-170 lbs and wear a large.  Just wish it had a little more length to it.  Looking for something new though this season.

Hoping I didn't miss anyone!  Guess that hits the highlights.  Oh, except for all the baseball talk ... let's not go there.  Astros have yet to win one game!!  On a better note, my son's team finished up their regular spring season on a 7 game winning streak, going into the end of their season tournament next week in 2nd place.

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned! 

Lisa

Edited by lufferly 2010-04-15 7:57 PM
2010-04-15 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
And thank you for all the condolences!! I've been wanting to get back to all of my BT friends over the last couple of weeks and some semblance of normalcy! OKC decision is next on the list.

Lisa
2010-04-15 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2794833

User image

Champion

LISA -

Good to hear from you, and sorry to be partially responsible for the massive backlog of posts here. The days that I'm away from morning until evening? I'm not sure what I'm going to find!

The 'stros won today, didn't they? Beat the Cards, was it? What do they say about little acorns and mighty oaks.....and from humble beginnings? Dare I counsel you to keep the faith? (So sez the already-feeling panicky Red Sox fan! )

Sorry to hear that Lone Star is off. At least I hope there is some upside to the OKC trip for you -- other than the not-likely-to-happen half marathon! Which tri is on May 1? That's Steve's day at St.George......and something else i think I should know bout? Hmmmm.

Hang in there, Lisa!

2010-04-15 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2794833

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Count me in as Another Steve for Kurt Kinetic. I think they now come in three flavors, and I don't want to tell you a price because mine is about 8 years old now. Maybe nine.

If you can find a fluid trainer, those seem to be the smoothest and quietest type.

2010-04-15 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2795197

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

I'm a Timbernothing this year. The sprint has closed out, and I can't bring myself to spend $275 on the half iron. Tempted, but highly unlikely. So my Timberstatus is HIM '01 and '04, and sprint '09. Nada for '10. (Or if I make it down to do the ride and run with mandy, it will be Timbertraining '10.)

2010-04-15 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2795205

User image

Champion

LISA again -

Lower limb issues?

-- The thwack on the tibia seems to have not awkened the fracture site.
-- The plantar fasciitis concerns are at bay, thanks to judicious taping during the past three runs.
-- The neuroma matters are causing worries. My feet seem all out of whack for no apparent reason, and not all is right. Todays' run of about 11km was tolerable, but I'm feeling what I suspect is a neuroma -- or two????? Maybe this too shall pass!

2010-04-15 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2794526

User image

Champion

TRACEY once more -

I wore gloves religiously for my first seven years or so, like on every training ride. I ditched them for races several years ago, and haven't even worn them in training for a couple of years.*

The irony here is that in my catastrophic crash last June, my hands were virtually unscathed -- just a couple of spots on the top of my left thumb, of all places. The thing there was that I went down so fast, and also sideways, that I didn't even have time to get my hands out there. And considering that I landed on my right side, I can't explain how the left thumb got involved.

In my gloves days, which were also my teeter-due-to-unclipping-days, my palms were saved a couple of times. Those wouldn't've been biggies, but for people who go over the top of their bike, it's the paws that make initial contact, so......

* Along with the same bike shoes since about this time in '01, the gloves I own (but no longer use) are the same ones I started with in '00! They are REALLY ratty, but I love them too much to throw them away. And who knows? Maybe some day I will have a minor misphap and scrape the hands.........and will decide to wear the gloves again for a while!

2010-04-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2794399

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Deep tissue! The pain feels so good when it stops!

I see this stuff as a continuum -- rolfing is the worst, then deep tissue, then A.R.T.........and then all the rest, which are basically all Kindler and Gentler.

Yes, "tears" is one of those hot-button, god-forbid words, but it doesn't always mean that horrible things have happened. I'm certainly glad that's the case for you! WHEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

NIcely done, both physically and psychologically, with the trainer session. I am SURE your body is responding to the lighter load, and behind the scenes it is already assembling its resources for.....16 days from now! if you can pull off the revised schedule without going nutso, you will find a body that is in peak form for St.George. You're keeping it good and crisp right nwo, and all without adding to any cumulative strain. Cool beans!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276