BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-15 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2793506

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

M -

Uh-oh. It sounds like Bad Bike crossed a line it may wish it had stayed on its own side of! Looks like the Divine Ms. M is gonna get the last word!

2010-04-15 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2795257

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Are you ever available on weekdays, or are those locked-up with work? I'm asking this about Timberplans, as wwekends down at Lake Winn are crazy. Mid-week would be best, but having to do it on a Fr-Mo would not be a deal-breaker; just a few more headaches, is all!

2010-04-16 1:54 AM
in reply to: #2793307

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Since I'll be wearing a wetsuit for all the tris I'm scheduled for, I don't think I'm even going to bother with a bathing suit underneath. I'm leaning towards wearing a sports bra and tri bottoms under the wetsuit, and then throwing on a shirt in T1. But, now that you mention that tri shorts don't have that much padding, I may forgo that purchase and just wear regular spandex, which I already own. Are they really not that useful for padding?

I don't necessarily need any tri gear. I just thought some padded bottoms which dry quickly after the swim would be nice, and I assumed that's what tri shorts are made for. I'm probably going to wear a sweat-wicking top for the bike and the run: probably a loose t-shirt type thing or something since I don't think I'll be comfortable in a tight-fitting top, and the group of us that signed up for the tri all belongs to the same rugby club, so it'd be nice to have some sort of advertisement-like thing with our team name on it. And we already have those shirts made from the club.

You did illuminate me with the little padding comment for tri bottoms. Maybe I should go to the store and check some out. I think that would solve the problem.
2010-04-16 2:06 AM
in reply to: #2794514

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Tracey,

I'm glad you enjoyed my suggestions. I should've given you the forum link for 3FC (shorthand for 3fatchicks) so it's www.3fatchicks.com/forums (duh ). It's really a great supportive community, kinda like BT, but for weight-loss instead. And they have a small tri forum there, which is how I was directed to you guys. See, automatically good people

Haha about the wine! If that's what it takes... In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: Alcohol - the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

As for the BMR calculator, I know it works well for the BMR rate for sure. It also offers other options depending on your level of activity, although I'm not sure how good those are, so be wary of that. Like, I'm not sure if that includes the calories burned when working out, or if you have to add the individual exercises on your own on top of that. I haven't looked that far into it since I have a calorie burner thing I wear on me all the time. Hope that last part makes sense.

And lastly, breakfast. I rarely eat it. Not good, I know, but I would much rather sleep in the extra half hour than eat. I love eating, so you can probably tell how much I love sleeping as well (another reason I can't make myself work out in the mornings). However, when I do make something, I usually go for granola and yogurt, or cereal and yogurt. For a while I did oatmeal, too, but I'm kind of over that. I'm also a huge fan of sandwiches for breakfast, since that's how I grew up (it's a Polish thing...we don't really do cereal or breakfast foods...liverwurst tastes so much better in the morning!), so I'll fix some of those up as well.

Kasia
2010-04-16 2:09 AM
in reply to: #2794545

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Tracey again,

I'm hoping that continuing with the swimming will help speed me up. I've definitely gained endurance which has helped with the speed so I'm going to try to work on technique now. Maybe I'll sign up for a class next session if I keep being frustrated. But for now, it's getting better, so I'm happier.

Kasia
2010-04-16 2:12 AM
in reply to: #2794573

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Tracey, a third time -

Great suggestion for the wetsuits! Those look like they'll work. Thanks!

Kasia

2010-04-16 2:21 AM
in reply to: #2795119

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Tracey, for the last time -

I forgot to put this in my original nutrition post, but I also try to have about 5 meals throughout the day, eating about every 3 - 4 hours. It keeps me pseudo-full throughout the day and I get to snack in a good way and not feel deprived. For example, for 1500-1600 cal a day, the breakdown goes like this:

1500 - 1600 cal daily
Breakfast - 400 +/- 25
Lunch - 500 +/- 25
Snack - 100 +/- 25
Dinner - 500 +/- 25
Snack - 100 +/- 25

Most days I'm around 1800 calories (+/- 50) since I don't want my deficit between burned and eaten to be greater than 1000, so my distribution looks more like this:

1800 - 1900 cal daily
Breakfast - 500 +/- 25
Lunch - 650 +/- 25
Snack - 125 +/- 25
Dinner - 650 +/- 25
Snack - 125 +/- 25

That's all a rough breakdown, and usually varies meal to meal, but it's a nice guide to go by.

Kasia
2010-04-16 2:37 AM
in reply to: #2795119

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Lisa,

Glad to have you back! And good luck on your 10K in two weeks.

Kasia
2010-04-16 2:57 AM
in reply to: #2795525

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
So...drumroll please...I am now the proud owner of a brand-spanking-new, amazingly speedy, beautifully gleaming, and just plain awesome bike. I dub thee Matilda. Well, not really, but the name did pop into my head while I was riding her/him this afternoon. Since I'm still undecided about it, I should probably go with a more gender-neutral name. Maybe Morgan? Or Taylor? I think it's more of a tomboy, if anything.

In the end, I went with the Trek 2.1 WSD (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/women/road/21wsd/) Gloss Lava Black color. I test-rode it one more time before purchase and wasn't nearly as impressed as the last two times I'd ridden it, but I told myself to stop putting doubts in my head and just buy the damn thing since it was perfect then and it should be now (I'm really bad at making decisions). The LBS guy was asking if I needed anything else and for once I knew what I was talking about, tossing out pedal styles, CO2 canister weights and all that jazz. For once, I felt "cool" being in there, as if I belonged. That was before I tripped over the pedals on my way out the door. Haha! I never said I was smooth...

So yeah, I signed up for a professional fitting in two weeks when I'll probably purchase pedals for the tri shoes I already own. I'm still undecided if I'll go through with this, but I figure for a little extra cost (compared to what I just spent), it'll be good to be all squared up and save my knees from even more damage than I've already caused them. (That's the down-side of buying from this bike shop...they don't have nearly as many good deals for new buyers as the one which carried the Giant Avail I was also interested in. That's also where the final doubt came into play. Whatever. It's done.)

It was a beautiful day for a ride and since I hadn't yet put my bike computer on the new bike (didn't want to scratch it up on its first day), I set out with a stopwatch on a known course and let it rip. O. M. G. AMAZING! The shifting was so smooth and the bike was so receptive to everything, maybe a bit too much even. I'm going to have to work on the bike handling, but I am so happy with it :) :) :)

And since I had no numbers to go by to gauge speed, I went off effort and pushed myself to go harder. And my average speed went up by 4 mph. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the bike, but I'm gonna give myself some credit as well. So I may ride without the computer for a while and see how it goes. Can't wait to go out again, but it looks like it's going to rain tomorrow. Boo.

Ok, I'm babbling. Attached is a photo. Ain't she a beaut'? I think I'm in love.

Edited by augeremt 2010-04-16 5:41 AM

(DSCN4256M.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN4256M.jpg (71KB - 27 downloads)
2010-04-16 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2795527

User image

Champion

I JUST got on, and now have to help Lynn with something. I'll be back soon!

2010-04-16 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2795586

User image

Champion

M -

Quick! Run over to your window and wave hello/good-bye to my son Peter, who has just now (your time) departed Omaha on the California Zephyr. His bike trip from Phoenix to san Fran finished a few days ago and they lurked there until Wednesday morning. They will get into Chicago later today.

If you see his face pressed against the window of the train, yell out to him that his dear old dad loves him. Thanks!

2010-04-16 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Kasia

Nice ride   enjoy

Cathy

Welcome back,  good news on your sons baseball team.  I think the Stros will be ok.  This is coming from a Ranger fan that is always optimistic until the all star break.
Good Luck on whatever decision is Made on OKC and for what it's worth, My daughter was born and raised in Texas, has spent the last 3 years in Norman and by all indications possibly where her career will begin and she is really enjoying it up  there.

Warrior Dash is May 1  
2010-04-16 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Yeah Matilda! Welcome home.

She is gorgeous!!

Don't worry about tripping over the pedals, I do that all the time. Have fun with her!

Mandy
2010-04-16 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2795525

User image

Champion

KASIA -

YES!!! She/he/it is indeed a beaut!

Great decision to go with the serious fitting, as that should get rid of any snaggles to the bike-Kasia continuum AND will likely improve speed in the process. Bike fittings are pretty cool things.

Argh! Called away yet again!

I.S.R.!

2010-04-16 7:01 AM

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

As for the bike shop and deals, it might be that your bike shop is short on deals but long on service. At a more gross (as in large) level, R&A Cycles out of Brooklyn, NY, has tons of great deals always, but also has a reputation for poor service and virtually no fittings beyond the absolute basics. So, here's a toast to the exemplary service offered by the fine folks who sold you Matilda!

Your thoughts on a suitable race day top are good. I have had this discussion before elsewhere, and for some reason I tend to forget the universality of the sports bra. But, yes, it is ubiquitous at races and just on its own, often, without any other top on top.

Going to a place that carries tri shorts might be the best way to figure out that part. As I've said before, since my marriage to triathlon I have only used DeSoto, so beyond that I'm missing many details. DeSoto stuff has evolved some, but what is there now can best be described as a very thin felt pad. It is thin enough that it cannot be felt ------- and as that is a good play on words I will leave it, but amend it as follows: It is virtually impossible to FEEL the FELT pad, it is that unobtrusive. In fact, one could wonder what good it serves, exactly, but I have faith that it does indeed work. If in your explorations you have acess to all three - tri shorts, cycling shorts, swimsuit - feel all three and the differences are pretty apparent. Cycling pads are enormous, very bulky and difficult to swim or run in effectively. Swim bottoms are just wispy. Tri bottoms, though --- just right!

In hind (as it were..... ) sight, I feel I wasted money on cycling shorts when I first started, so my tentative advice would be to begin minimal and go with more padding only as required. And, as with everything else, we are all different. Some people (thank goodness I am one of them) can go forever in just tri bottoms, whereas lots of people who do ironman will take the time in the change tents to change into them after the swim and out of them before the run. I guess they just have ultrasensitive tokhises!

My final thought is that the saddle also plays a part in all of this, and as I mentioned to either Tracey or Diane or M, sometimes relief comes with a change in saddle. Some bike shops are very liberal about this, allow saddle changes to happen within a reasonable period of time. And because we have already determined that your LBS offers - nay, PRIDES itself on - exemplary service, i am sure they will extend that courtesy to you!

2010-04-16 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2795591

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

RANGERS!!!!!!

When we moved to Allen in July '85, daughter Jane was about 15 months old. Lynn almost immediately had to go up to the arctic for field work, and that left Jane and I on our own. So what did we do? Go to LOTS of Rangers games, of course! Of course, Jane doesn't really remember this, but it is fair to say that she cut her teeth (well, at least some of them) on the Rangers, playing at good old Arlington Stadium -- easy access, easy parking, good sightlines. And that thermometer out in right field -- 96 at game time, and then watch it drop down inning by inning.

I was so enamored by the Rangers that (and Tracey and Mandy will disown me for the following confession) that I even cheered for them the several times I was there when they played the Red Sox. Of course, I was terribly tormented inside, but what was coming out of my mouth was pro-Rangers.

The pitching looks to be the death of them again this year -- year ?? in an endless series. Frank Francisco's ERA is what -- 27.00???? But at least for now, the starters offer some dim hope, I suppose, and if Harden can put together a decent, complete season.....

Toby Harrah!!!!

2010-04-16 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2795634

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Yeah, the one I bought from has great service and very knowledgeable employees. And the other one runs a women's cycling group and free bike clinics out of it. So I guess I have the best of both worlds

I may change out the seat, although it looks very nice right now matching the paint job and the bar tape to a T. Matching is key...it took me a good 10 minutes to decide on the color of the cages yesterday. I can only imagine what kind of color-coordination torture picking out a seat will be. (I should just do it blindfolded.) But I think I can sacrifice some clashing for more tush comfort. Right now the seat's kinda rubbing me the wrong way, but I think that's something that can be fixed with a fitting. If not, new seat it is.

As for clothing, I love my cycling shorts, but I'm pretty sure I would be absolutely miserable running in them, especially if they were still wet from the swim. So unless I want to change into them in T1 and out of them in T2, which I don't, I need to find an alternative.

I had switched to cycling shorts after a few spin classes left me in absolute agony, but every since I got on back on a real bike, I haven't had any sort of problems. So I think with a proper seat, just plain spandex will do, since even now, half the time I go out on a ride like that and feel ok. Like you said, I'll start minimal and work up as necessary.

I'm sure I've told you this before, but you're hilarious. And super helpful. So, thanks!

Now I'm off to take Matilda on an early-morning ride before the rain moves in. If this is all it took to get me working out in the mornings, I should've bought a bike sooner. I'm worried what purchase will come next once the novelty of this wears off. Toodles.

Kasia
2010-04-16 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Kasia, nice ride ... enjoy!!

It is looking like we will take our 11 year old out of school next Friday to go with us to OKC, so we are hoping to catch a ball game on Saturday night while we are there.  Their AAA minor league team (the Red Hawks) feeds into the Rangers.  $22 reserved "all you can eat" seats down the left field line with unlimited popcorn, peanuts, cotton candy, soda, hot dogs, nachos (notice beer was NOT included!) ... an 11 year old's delight! 

Blue Bell 10K race planned tomorrow with my running group but still lots of chest congestion and some wheezing.  I was on such a roll with my PRs the last few races, but figure I may end up walking more with this one ... time will tell!  All you can eat (is there a theme here) Blue Bell ice cream after the race. 

Lisa
2010-04-16 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Steve B 
Yes Toby Harrah Mike Hargrove Jim Sundberg

Lisa- Sorry about getting the name wrong,  I'll use the excuse I hadn't been awake long 
2010-04-16 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

STEVE B, you are right about May 1st ... it's going to be a busy weekend. 

STEVE A - St. George
LISA - CB&I Sprint Triathlon
DWAYNE - Warrior Dash

And it seems like someone else had a race as well ... maybe DENISE?  Can't recall.

Lisa

2010-04-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2795253

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-15 7:18 PM STEVE - Deep tissue! The pain feels so good when it stops! I see this stuff as a continuum -- rolfing is the worst, then deep tissue, then A.R.T.........and then all the rest, which are basically all Kindler and Gentler. Yes, "tears" is one of those hot-button, god-forbid words, but it doesn't always mean that horrible things have happened. I'm certainly glad that's the case for you! WHEEEWWWWWW!!!!! NIcely done, both physically and psychologically, with the trainer session. I am SURE your body is responding to the lighter load, and behind the scenes it is already assembling its resources for.....16 days from now! if you can pull off the revised schedule without going nutso, you will find a body that is in peak form for St.George. You're keeping it good and crisp right nwo, and all without adding to any cumulative strain. Cool beans!!

Rolfing...I'll need to look that up!  It's so funny - if I have a few extra days of rest, I come back like a maniac on the run or the bike, but the swim really suffers.  Had not been in the pool due to timing issues since last Thursday (BAD STEVE!), and was so lethargic in the pool last night - it was a bit unsettling until I remembered I am always like that.  It's the one discipline for me that I really need to stay on top of.   I'm headed to PCH tomorrow to swim - water is just 55 degrees, but should be calm.  I want to spend about an hour or so paddling around out there and make sure the sleeveless is not a problem for prolonged periods in that temperature.  Next week, I think I'll hit at least 3 swim sessions, if not 4.  I'll just be sure to limit at least 1 or 2 of them to 40-45 minutes.

Feeling a bit like a caged animal right now.  Gonna do a quick trainer session tonight, and then the PCH swim and then 4-5 hour EASY ride on PCH tomorrow.  I plan on only one climb segment (4 miles @ 5% average grade - couple of steeper 10% - 12% sections in there) to test that 28 gear on what should be fresher legs than last week.  But aside from that, it'll be flat and easy - just cruising time in the saddle.

2010-04-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2794607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-15 4:11 PM

Tracey-I will be there Thu-Mon - and plan on doing some volunteering in the morning of the sprint, then some watching - I will be cheering you on! SO we will definitely have to meet before the race so I know who I am cheering for! Cheers,Mandy

Okay, I remember now you mentioning that before. Looking forward to meeting you!

2010-04-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2794833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-04-15 5:44 PM

thall0672 - 2010-04-15 1:00 PM Hello all. Can anyone recommend a good bike trainer or roller? I'd like to stay under $300. Thanks! Tracey

LOVE my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.  Listed at $369, I found mine on e-Bay for $275 or so. 
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=kurt+kinetic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I ordered mine from one of the "buy it now" listings that had it in the low $300's and made an offer on it, and they took it.  I heart e-Bay at times!

Thanks SteveA and SteveB. I'll be checking this one out.

2010-04-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2795134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
lufferly - 2010-04-15 9:10 PM

And thank you for all the condolences!! I've been wanting to get back to all of my BT friends over the last couple of weeks and some semblance of normalcy! OKC decision is next on the list.

Lisa

Hi Lisa. Welcome back and good luck with the decision.

Tracey

2010-04-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2795205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-15 9:54 PM

TRACEY again -

I'm a Timbernothing this year. The sprint has closed out, and I can't bring myself to spend $275 on the half iron. Tempted, but highly unlikely. So my Timberstatus is HIM '01 and '04, and sprint '09. Nada for '10. (Or if I make it down to do the ride and run with mandy, it will be Timbertraining '10.)

No problem! I know you'll be there in spirit.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276