BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-12 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1857670

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now
Guess what -- I actually went swimming today!!!  I can swim, but have had a heck of a time over the last few years with it.  It took several of those inspirations to convince me to get started (plus the help of a good friend who was there with me today).  And as I thought, I didn't set the world on fire, but I know I can do this!  Baby steps, right??

2009-01-12 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1903284

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
HelenR - 2009-01-12 6:42 PM

Hi Cheri- and once again from me- I truly appreciate you daily inspirations- and yes find them very helpful in our "tri" life!!

Swim/Bike/Run is more than just a sport- but a lifestyle. Just like the daily inspirations- we learn a great deal about ourselves as we 'push' ourselves, max our bodies, both mentally and physically, as we work on achieving our goals.  So yup- I find the daiy reads wonderful!!

thanks

Helen  

PS cough/cold getting better- YEH!!!

Well, I guess it's nearly unanimous -- I'll keep the daily inspirations coming!

2009-01-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1903287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-01-12 6:43 PM

Guess what -- I actually went swimming today!!!  I can swim, but have had a heck of a time over the last few years with it.  It took several of those inspirations to convince me to get started (plus the help of a good friend who was there with me today).  And as I thought, I didn't set the world on fire, but I know I can do this!  Baby steps, right??
\
Cheri - I'm so proud of you for overcoming your obstacles in the swimming area!!!! You have taken your own inspirations and put them into action!!!! Wow, I know you have to be floating on cloud nine today Great job!!!! I'm so glad you shared the experience with all of us.

I can relate to having swim obstacles, I had so many two years ago, and got better this past year and hope to keep moving forward in that area.

Way to go Cheri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
2009-01-12 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1903287

Regular

Sledge - 2009-01-12 6:43 PM Guess what -- I actually went swimming today!!!  I can swim, but have had a heck of a time over the last few years with it.  It took several of those inspirations to convince me to get started (plus the help of a good friend who was there with me today).  And as I thought, I didn't set the world on fire, but I know I can do this!  Baby steps, right??

good on ya getting in the water..........think SHARK!!!!!!  (musical notes now)dundundundundundundundud cath

2009-01-12 9:46 PM

User image

New user

chicago, il

hi everybody, 

how wonderful to be invited into this mentor group!  i'm emerson's (etknowles') niece.  my friends call me kato.  i haven't had time to read all the postings yet, but it was very inspiring to read the goals and histories posted early in the blog!

although i did a lot of sports in my youth, i was a heavy smoker for 15 years, overweight & a total coach potato for over a decade.  i turned my life around when i quit smoking in 2000 and then in 2003, i started working out at Curves, losing 30 lbs on low-carb dieting and weight-watchers since then.  i could still stand to lose another 15-20.

i'm 40, divorced with no kids, and stared swimming laps and bike commuting (10 miles each way to work) to cope with a traumatic break-up last year and decided to swim a mile by labor day (when the public pools close) which i did and then to do a 50 mile bike ride before the biking season ended in nov, which i did.  so then i decided, wtf, i'll do a triathlon for 2009.

i've been watching for the danskin sprint schedule to come out and i'd like to do an olympic triathlon by the end of the 2009, maybe in a prettier or funner place than chicago. i'd also like to raise money for charity when i do it.

cheers and thanks!

kato

Edited by katod 2009-01-12 9:56 PM
2009-01-12 9:54 PM
in reply to: #1903639

Regular
katod - 2009-01-12 9:46 PM

hi everybody! 

what a privledge and honor to be invited into this mentor group.  i'm emerson's (etknowles') niece.  my friends call me kato.  i haven't had time to read all the postings yet, but it was very inspiring to read the goals and histories posted early in the blog!

although i did a lot of sports in my youth, i was a heavy smoker for 15 years, overweight & a total coach potato for over a decade.  i turned my life around when i quit smoking in 2000 and then in 2003, i started working out at Curves, losing 30 lbs on low-carb dieting and weight-watchers since then.  i could still stand to lose another 15-20.

i'm 40, divorced with no kids, and stared swimming laps and bike commuting (10 miles each way to work) to cope with a traumatic break-up last year and decided to swim a mile by labor day (when the public pools close) which i did and then to do a 50 mile bike ride before the biking season ended in nov, which i did.  so then i decided, wtf, i'll do a triathlon for 2009.

i've been watching for the danskin sprint schedule to come out and i'd like to do an olympic triathlon by the end of the 2009, maybe in a prettier or funner place than chicago. i'd also like to raise money for charity when i do it.

cheers and thanks!

kato

Hi Kato,  nice to meet you.  cath

2009-01-12 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1903291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Sledge - 2009-01-12 6:45 PM
HelenR - 2009-01-12 6:42 PM

Hi Cheri- and once again from me- I truly appreciate you daily inspirations- and yes find them very helpful in our "tri" life!!

Swim/Bike/Run is more than just a sport- but a lifestyle. Just like the daily inspirations- we learn a great deal about ourselves as we 'push' ourselves, max our bodies, both mentally and physically, as we work on achieving our goals.  So yup- I find the daiy reads wonderful!!

thanks

Helen  

PS cough/cold getting better- YEH!!!

Well, I guess it's nearly unanimous -- I'll keep the daily inspirations coming!

I'm late to weigh in on the inspirations, but totally agree. I've found them all very appropriate in my life. Keep them coming!

2009-01-12 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1903639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
katod - 2009-01-12 9:46 PM

hi everybody, 

how wonderful to be invited into this mentor group!  i'm emerson's (etknowles') niece.  my friends call me kato.  i haven't had time to read all the postings yet, but it was very inspiring to read the goals and histories posted early in the blog!

cheers and thanks!

kato

Welcome Kato. Congrats on the weight loss. Can't wait to cheer you on to your first tri! Then you'll be hooked!

2009-01-13 5:24 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning everyone, and welcome to the group Kato!  Here's something to think about today:

I have the courage to complete unfinished business.

I actually love this one.  I am the world's greatest procrastinator, and I have no idea why I do it.  In fact, it feels so good after I finish something that I wonder why I don't go after that feeling all of the time.  I think this is very appropriate for triathlons -- tackling the things that are difficult, like swimming a mile (go Kato!) or getting on the trainer (all right Cath!). 

2009-01-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1903888

Regular
Sledge - 2009-01-13 5:24 AM

Good morning everyone, and welcome to the group Kato!  Here's something to think about today:

I actually love this one.  I am the world's greatest procrastinator, and I have no idea why I do it.  In fact, it feels so good after I finish something that I wonder why I don't go after that feeling all of the time.  I think this is very appropriate for triathlons -- tackling the things that are difficult, like swimming a mile (go Kato!) or getting on the trainer (all right Cath!). 

are you hiding under my bed?   it is like you have know me  a long time. you know what these inspires are telling me.....?  that i am not alone in my struggles.  when you are afraid of everything you tend to hide, thinking only you are having these fears and these thoughts. the only way to know that we are not alone is to put ourselves out there. (  hardest thing in the world to do at times)   keep them coming.  thanks  cath
2009-01-13 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1904687

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
cathcan - 2009-01-13 11:52 AM

are you hiding under my bed?   it is like you have know me  a long time. you know what these inspires are telling me.....?  that i am not alone in my struggles.  when you are afraid of everything you tend to hide, thinking only you are having these fears and these thoughts. the only way to know that we are not alone is to put ourselves out there. (  hardest thing in the world to do at times)   keep them coming.  thanks  cath

Yes, you caught me -- I'm under your bed!   Actually, I'm so glad you are joining me in my struggles!  It will never hurt us to focus on what is important, and to keep our goals in mind.  And no, you are definitely not alone!

2009-01-13 8:25 PM

User image

New user

chicago, il

thanks, Sledge!  so far, i've been able to hang a curtain up to hide my unfinished business from view.  it seems easier to do my first tri than deal with paperwork! maybe a little bit every day, the same with the workouts?

lufferly - 2009-01-12 10:25 PM 

Welcome Kato. Congrats on the weight loss. Can't wait to cheer you on to your first tri! Then you'll be hooked!

thanks, lufferly, i'm excited for my first tri!  heck, i'm excited to buy my first pair of real running shoes.

cathcan - 2009-01-12 9:54 PM 

Hi Kato,  nice to meet you.  cath

hi cath : )

Edited by katod 2009-01-13 8:27 PM
2009-01-13 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for all the inspires, they mean a lot.  Just walked in the door tonight at a little after 10:00 PM.... I will be back tomorrow to properly check up on everybody.  I need to hit the sack, 6:00 AM will come really fast...  Emerson
2009-01-13 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well better late than never...sorry I'm late today...had a hectic day. I will check in on everyone logs tomorrow morning.

I would like to welcome Kato....I'm very sympathetic to your circumstances (the break-up) I was married 18 years and decided to leave with two children after more than one affair...it was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life....that being said...get ready for the rest of your wonderful life!!!! Embrace change and find yourself, you will become so much stronger than you ever knew you could be..................................Five years down the road, I have just a beautiful husband that is my soul mate, and I own my own business, and I have two very healthy, stable kids. Oh yes, and I do Triathlons...
We will talk late I live about 5 hours from you, I live in the Evansville Indiana area.

I will check on my other training partners in the am....

Amy IN

2009-01-13 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi everyone,

I'm back for just a bit.  I have had another crazy week between work (our psych unit is almost completely full and they keep calling people in), meeting with the coach (which I will talk about in a bit), finding time to squeeze in a date with a boy, and feeling like I was going to die last night from some horrible thing I ate or something!

The meeting with the coach went really well.  We took a look at my race schedule and decided on the best route to go.  Running is going to be a big big focus this season along with lots of very long rides.  I am only going to do a half marathon this spring and build up to 20/22 milers in June and July.  He gave me advice about salt tabelts, what goes on before, during after after the IM.  If anyone wants to know more give me a shout and I will be happy to share.

I'm glad that everyone is liking the inspirations.  I really like them too.  I will post the word of the week tomorrow.  I am doing inspirational words of the week for the 36 training weeks I have.

Well take care... I am off to finish up work so I can go home, go to sleep, get up come back at 7, and then go to the pool

2009-01-14 5:36 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Our inspiration today is:

I have the courage to realize that I have emotional and practical rights.

So many of us spent our days in service of others -- family, work, friends.  Keeping yourself healthy includes understanding that you have the right to focus some of that energy on yourself.

2009-01-14 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"There will never be a day when we won't need dedication, discipline, energy, and the feeling that we can change things for the better."

We make an impact on ourselves and others on a daily basis, let's make it a "POSITIVE" impact...

I hope everyone changes one life today, by just a smile or a nice/kind word.... have a great day!

Amy IN
2009-01-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1906211

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
crea0029 - 2009-01-13 10:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm back for just a bit.  I have had another crazy week between work (our psych unit is almost completely full and they keep calling people in), meeting with the coach (which I will talk about in a bit), finding time to squeeze in a date with a boy, and feeling like I was going to die last night from some horrible thing I ate or something!

The meeting with the coach went really well.  We took a look at my race schedule and decided on the best route to go.  Running is going to be a big big focus this season along with lots of very long rides.  I am only going to do a half marathon this spring and build up to 20/22 milers in June and July.  He gave me advice about salt tabelts, what goes on before, during after after the IM.  If anyone wants to know more give me a shout and I will be happy to share.

I'm glad that everyone is liking the inspirations.  I really like them too.  I will post the word of the week tomorrow.  I am doing inspirational words of the week for the 36 training weeks I have.

Well take care... I am off to finish up work so I can go home, go to sleep, get up come back at 7, and then go to the pool

Pam, I'm curious about what your coach said about salt tablets.  It's been many, many years since I've heard anything about salt tablets.  What is the purpose?

2009-01-14 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
The salt tablets he explained are used during longer races when trying to replenish the electrolyte and salt supply in your body become difficult.  Some of us are just very salty sweaters, I know I am, and for short training or racing situations that won't affect our performance level.  However, as the times get longer and the races not only become longer but start happening in hotter weather were we sweat more, it is harder to take in the salt we need to regulate our electrolytes.  He told me that salt will never hurt.  Our bodies will flush out excess.  Salt tablets will only help our performance.  However he did give a word of caution to make sure I use them several times before an important race to make sure my stomach and body will not have any problems with them.  He says 95% of people don't have problems with them but he said you don't want to learn the hard way.  Good advice if you ask me!
2009-01-14 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Hi everyone...I think some of you were wanting to keep track of your nutrition. Has anyone used the nutrition feature in your training log? I have been using it for a few weeks now and I find it to be very helpful. It takes a bit of extra time at the beginning to set up some of your "custom meals", but once this is done, keeping track of your food intake is really easy. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. I am still playing around with it myself.

Also...welcome katod! I look forward to chatting with you.
2009-01-14 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1906211

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
crea0029 - 2009-01-13 9:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I use tablets with salt and there are two brands that work well for me...  I use Thermolytes the most but I have also found Endurolytes work well too.  If it is hot, the Thermolytes... if it is cold, I use Endurolytes.  Both have salt and electrolytes...  I have had some stomach distress with the Thermolytes if I don't take enough water, I have never had any with the Endurolytes...

Emerson

2009-01-14 10:53 PM
in reply to: #1908755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Thanks everyone for the inspires.  It has helped a lot to come home and read them.  Peg is in AZ and I come home to an empty quite apartment and reading your notes brings a smile after these long days.  If I kept a log of what I have eaten or drank this week I would be kicked off the BT site...  These business weeks are a tough mix with training.  I look forward to flying back to AZ tomorrow.

I am off to bed and I look forward to having more free time when I get back...

Be well, your friend, Emerson

11:53 PM EST...

Edited by etknowles 2009-01-14 10:54 PM
2009-01-15 5:36 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning all!  Today's inspiration is:

I have the courage to talk as nicely to myself as I do to others.

To me, this means don't be so hard on yourself.  If a friend doesn't do as well as he/she would like during a workout, I always say that they will do better the next time, or they are just having a bad day, or they were just distracted, or whatever.  But do I do the same to myself?  Not really -- instead, I tend to beat myself up about it.  Why is that???

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm about these daily quotes, so I won't stop.  However, I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a ski vacation followed by a business trip, and I won't be as tied to my computer for the next couple of weeks as I am now.  I promise when I come back that I'll resume this!

2009-01-15 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1908896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sledge - 2009-01-15 5:36 AM

Good morning all!  Today's inspiration is:

I have the courage to talk as nicely to myself as I do to others.

To me, this means don't be so hard on yourself.  If a friend doesn't do as well as he/she would like during a workout, I always say that they will do better the next time, or they are just having a bad day, or they were just distracted, or whatever.  But do I do the same to myself?  Not really -- instead, I tend to beat myself up about it.  Why is that???

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm about these daily quotes, so I won't stop.  However, I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a ski vacation followed by a business trip, and I won't be as tied to my computer for the next couple of weeks as I am now.  I promise when I come back that I'll resume this!

Cheri - have a fabulous time on the ski trip, fly down some hills for me...I have never snowed ski-ed so I will live vicariously through you. Be safe!

Amy IN
2009-01-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1908737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

kew - 2009-01-14 10:35 PM Hi everyone...I think some of you were wanting to keep track of your nutrition. Has anyone used the nutrition feature in your training log? I have been using it for a few weeks now and I find it to be very helpful. It takes a bit of extra time at the beginning to set up some of your "custom meals", but once this is done, keeping track of your food intake is really easy. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. I am still playing around with it myself. Also...welcome katod! I look forward to chatting with you.

It's been awhile but I've looked at the nutrition log on site. I just don't always have the time it takes to get it logged in (competing for computer time at home between my 10 year old and husband), so I'm tracking mine in my training log, which has a place to log your three meals and snacks (calories, protein, carbs, fat, fiber). I guess I could transfer the nutritional information at least to my training log on site.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18