BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-02-11 8:33 AM
in reply to: #1956052

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!-

Thanks everyone...your encouragement is very, very helpful.  I will be leaving Thursday afternoon to head to Myrtle Beach...we are getting settled in, going to the expo on Friday and the marathon is on Saturday.  I will be back in town on Sunday and give you guys a report as soon as possible.  My goal is to finish...anything better is icing on the cake!  Thanks again for all of the encouragement! 

Later! 

2009-02-12 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!
Got to move us up to page 1 again...

Where did everyone go???
2009-02-12 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville

Work has been a real grind. Getting my workouts in, but not as much as I would like at least the weight loss is going well. Plus working in travel, I have finally started to see some slow down in buying patterns. This last couple of weeks has been tough. Oh well, anyways got a big workout day planned tomorrow. And I have done my first to trainer rides over at Brian's house. That was a rude awakening, but challenging and exciting. Being 264 lbs and sitting on a bike seat that small is wquite the adventure. Hey at least it's not 294 like it was 2 months ago.

I need to be on here more though. When I am, I see my dedication goes better also.

2009-02-13 6:30 AM

Regular
Ray, Great job on the weight loss. I find the trainer can be hard and boring, but it does a good job getting us in warmer weather shape. Brian hasn't been logging workouts, is he okay?

We have had springlike weather all week. I have enjoyed riding outside. I have been surprised that even though I have kept my heart and legs in shape, riding outside is different from indoor training. I hope that we continue to have good weather so I can get plenty of outside riding in to improve my speed. Riding in the wind makes things hard. Anyone who has spring races needs to remember that wind can be a factor.

I am struggling a bit still in making the transition from long distances and just finishing to sprint distances and whomping my brother. I had my kids race with me yesterday...I lost to both of them, but the race was beneficial to me anyway. The worst part of working out with my kids is feeding them afterwards. I have two teenage boys (14 and almost 17); they are bigger than average and they can sure put away some food.

Overall, I feel like I am making progress with my training and my food intake.

2009-02-13 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
Sorry I have been MIA. I started back to College this quarter and this week was midterms. Wow what a rude awakening. I have been working out and got my log caught back up.

I did have one thing happen to me on the bike today that got me thinking. I got a flat tire. Has everyone changed a tire before? Do you carry what you need to change one out on a ride?

I also got a 9 hour video by Joe Friel on triathlon technique. I am excited to watch this and will share tidbits as I go. I am not watching all 9 hours at once.

How is everyone doing. Getting any sunshine yet? I had it snow on me while on a bike ride earlier in the week. Ugh I am ready for spring.

I also went to a doctor for someother stuff last week and we got to talking about diet. He said something that I thought very interesting. He told me to quit drinking milk. Milk will make weight loss very difficult. He said eat cheese etc that will still give me calcium but milk just goes right through ( I could drink 1/2 a gallon a day by myself) He said the cheeses and other solids would stick in my belly longer giving me a feeling of being full and would help me eat alot less. He gave me some other reasons but that I can give if you want but that is the gist.

So what do you think of that?
2009-02-14 12:23 AM

User image

Random quote: Some people chase their dreams. Others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission. - Unknown
- (Added by: HappyChica28)

I like this quote. It is the difference between active and passive living/training. Just thought I'd copy it from the top of the page as a reminder.

Enjoy the weekend and the training/races

Justin

2009-02-14 5:52 AM
in reply to: #1961805

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
holt1997 - 2009-02-13 11:38 PM
I did have one thing happen to me on the bike today that got me thinking. I got a flat tire. Has everyone changed a tire before? Do you carry what you need to change one out on a ride?

I also went to a doctor for someother stuff last week and we got to talking about diet. He said something that I thought very interesting. He told me to quit drinking milk. Milk will make weight loss very difficult. He said eat cheese etc that will still give me calcium but milk just goes right through ( I could drink 1/2 a gallon a day by myself) He said the cheeses and other solids would stick in my belly longer giving me a feeling of being full and would help me eat alot less. He gave me some other reasons but that I can give if you want but that is the gist.

So what do you think of that?

You're a busy guy! On the flat tire - do I have everything I need? Think so, tube, patch kit, pump, dollar bill, and the most important item - husband. Yep, got everything I need! Seriously, I have never had to change a flat tire, my husband does it for me. Obviously I need to learn so I can take care of myself but it looks so complicated. There are several utube videos, and I've watched a couple, they make it look so easy but I'm terrified of getting a flat.

I have a lot of opinions on cows milk, I was a complete vegan for close to 10 years. Now I do eat chicken, fish and eggs, but never cows milk. Soy milk is very good, if you have not tried it I recommend Silk brand in the refrigerated section. It is very good.
2009-02-14 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1961880

Regular
Since Karen said it first.....I carry a cell phone in case of a flat tire. I figure either my husband is with me and can fix my tire, or I can call him to come get me, or he can tell me how to change it (I have seen it done). My backup plan is that my husband is teaching my sons how to change flats...I am usually riding with one of those people. I do carry all of the necessary tools for someone else to change my flat. I did learn how to put air in my own tires.

The big problem is a flat on race day. You have to fix it yourself.

Thanks for the quote Justin.
2009-02-14 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
My wife did her first triathlon last fall and I told her before she could, she had to be able to change her own back tire. She seems pretty comfortable with it but there are a few quirks that are nice to figure out before race day. Some people can get them to work but I quit carrying a patch kit because I could never get them to seal. I also figured out the hard way that when I run my hand around inside the tire to find what caused the flat, go slowly or what cut the tube cuts my hand also.

As far as the milk thing goes, one point the doctor brought up is that no other adult mammals drink milk. He also agreed with what Karen posted earlier about not eating carbs alone.

Thanks for the quote Justin. I like it a lot. I think I am in the beat your dream senselessly category.
2009-02-14 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Chuck is off and running. GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!!
2009-02-15 8:30 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Hi everyone I hope everyone is doing well(training and personally), I have a question for everyone if any of you have ever had to deal with an injury. I have a slight hip flexor strain, I have been training and rehabing at the same time, no pain with training only a little the rest of the day.

just wondering how everyone deals with minor injuries.

Have a great week of training.

Jeff

2009-02-15 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Hi everyone...I am back!  Everything went really well and I am really satisfied with my results.  I felt like I could finish in 7 hours and was going to shoot for 6:30...ended up finishing at 5:54:45!  Not a great time for most people...but I was HAPPY!  The people were great and the atmosphere was very enjoyable.  The rain started at about mile 14 but it never got really bad, it actually felt pretty good at first!  Miles 17-20 were really hard, I guess I hit a wall or something...but at mile 21 I started pushing through and realized that I might be able to beat 6 hours.  I am pretty sore and am having a little bit pain in my left ankle...other than that...I am doing great.

I want to thank everyone for your encouragement...it honestly means a lot...I thought about all of you guys on more than one occasion during the run...and it really helped keep me going.  Seriously...thank you VERY much!

Now...I plan on resting up for a few days...and I will be back at it with you guys soon!

2009-02-16 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1963694

Regular
Great run Chuck! Be sure to ice and elevate that ankle. If you don't take care of it now, it will keep you sidelined for longer than you want.

I expected that you would finish in 6 1/2 hours or more based on your training times. It is quite remarkable that you finished in under 6. You shoulc be really proud of your accomplishment.
2009-02-16 6:34 AM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Congrats, way to go !!

I am sure I speak for all of us we are very proud, and you give us such great inspiration.

Keep up the great work and have a nice recovery( week or more if needed).

Again congrats.

Jeff

2009-02-16 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Way to go Chuck! We all knew you'd do great out there. Thanks for sharing your run with us!
2009-02-16 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1963670

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
spinepa - 2009-02-15 9:30 PM

Hi everyone I hope everyone is doing well(training and personally), I have a question for everyone if any of you have ever had to deal with an injury. I have a slight hip flexor strain, I have been training and rehabing at the same time, no pain with training only a little the rest of the day.

Jeff

Jeff - my only advice is to rest rest rest. Hip flexor injuries can take a while to heal if not taken care of properly. Even if you think it's all better, be careful. Use this time to swim and maybe spin easy on the bike. Follow your doctors orders and you'll be back out there pain free before you know it.

2009-02-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1963997

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-02-16 4:41 AM

spinepa - 2009-02-15 9:30 PM

Jeff

Jeff - my only advice is to rest rest rest. Hip flexor injuries can take a while to heal if not taken care of properly. Even if you think it's all better, be careful. Use this time to swim and maybe spin easy on the bike. Follow your doctors orders and you'll be back out there pain free before you know it.

I agree wholeheartedly!. Spend a little time getting completely better now so you don't have to take a lot of time off later.
2009-02-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1963694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
atostig - 2009-02-15 6:42 PM

Hi everyone...I am back!  Everything went really well and I am really satisfied with my results.  I felt like I could finish in 7 hours and was going to shoot for 6:30...ended up finishing at 5:54:45!  Not a great time for most people...but I was HAPPY!  The people were great and the atmosphere was very enjoyable.  The rain started at about mile 14 but it never got really bad, it actually felt pretty good at first!  Miles 17-20 were really hard, I guess I hit a wall or something...but at mile 21 I started pushing through and realized that I might be able to beat 6 hours.  I am pretty sore and am having a little bit pain in my left ankle...other than that...I am doing great.

I want to thank everyone for your encouragement...it honestly means a lot...I thought about all of you guys on more than one occasion during the run...and it really helped keep me going.  Seriously...thank you VERY much!

Now...I plan on resting up for a few days...and I will be back at it with you guys soon!

Way to go!. A marathon is a huge accomplishment. Take care of yourself and rest up this week.
2009-02-16 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well I have a funny story and a thought to share.

Story:I went for a longer run at my in-laws house last weekend. It was dark when I left and I thought I felt great. There was a slight breeze to my back and I was just trucking along. I turned around about the time it got light and I realized why the run felt so easy. It was all slightly down hill. So the whole stinking way back was up hill and into the wind. Made me feel kinda dumb. Oh well.

I watched part of the video I mentioned earlier. One of the poits they made is that every workout should have a purpose. Every time you go out the door, you should be working on or improving on something. If you are putting time or miles without purpose you are wasting your time.

What do you think?
2009-02-16 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1964478

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
holt1997 - 2009-02-16 12:17 PM

Well I have a funny story and a thought to share.

Story:I went for a longer run at my in-laws house last weekend. It was dark when I left and I thought I felt great. There was a slight breeze to my back and I was just trucking along. I turned around about the time it got light and I realized why the run felt so easy. It was all slightly down hill. So the whole stinking way back was up hill and into the wind. Made me feel kinda dumb. Oh well.

I watched part of the video I mentioned earlier. One of the poits they made is that every workout should have a purpose. Every time you go out the door, you should be working on or improving on something. If you are putting time or miles without purpose you are wasting your time.

What do you think?

Bummer about the hill back - not fun if you're not planning on it.

I don't know that I go out with a purpose everytime I work out, other than to burn calories (so I can eat more!). Sometimes I just go for a run to clear my head, does that count? If they mean doing speedwork, or Z1/Z2 type training, I guess I almost always exercise without a purpose. Hmmm.....
2009-02-16 8:58 PM

Regular
Work outs always have a purpose...sometimes it is to burn calories, sometimes it is to spend time with friends or family, sometimes it is to get stronger, sometimes it is to get faster, sometimes it is to get away from the kids, sometimes it is to relieve stress. I imagine that the person who made that statement meant something else. I am not motivated enough as a racer to always be working on some aspect of racing. I do try to balance LSD (Long Slow Days), with tempo workouts, etc. However, I don't make myself crazy about it. In the long run, I am better off if I truly enjoy my workouts instead of making "work" out of it. Now, maybe it would be different if I was getting paid to race.

I am headed to Alabama to visit my family. I will get the chance to workout with my brother, so I can see how hard I will have to work to beat him.

2009-02-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1965527

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
colewarren - 2009-02-16 9:58 PM

Work outs always have a purpose...sometimes it is to burn calories, sometimes it is to spend time with friends or family, sometimes it is to get stronger, sometimes it is to get faster, sometimes it is to get away from the kids, sometimes it is to relieve stress. I imagine that the person who made that statement meant something else. I am not motivated enough as a racer to always be working on some aspect of racing. I do try to balance LSD (Long Slow Days), with tempo workouts, etc. However, I don't make myself crazy about it. In the long run, I am better off if I truly enjoy my workouts instead of making "work" out of it. Now, maybe it would be different if I was getting paid to race.

I am headed to Alabama to visit my family. I will get the chance to workout with my brother, so I can see how hard I will have to work to beat him.

Glad to hear you have the same thoughts about working out as I do. I was kind of feeling like I needed to "make them count" so to speak. I totally agree with the statement about making them enjoyable, that way you keep doing them right?

And yes, get the inside scoop on your brothers fitness level - sandbag a little, and maybe he'll slack off on his training.
2009-02-17 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I think the speaker was referencing "how is this workout helping you reach your training goals. " We all have different goals. I appreciate what Cole and Karen said and I think that when you go out the door if what you want to accomplish is to relieve stress and have fun then you have a definate goal. I think the difference is if you head out the door unsure of how far you are going to go, what you are going to do or how you are going to do it then the workout is pointless. I have tp admit, spmetimes I head out the door for a run with a goal and part way into it get lost in thought and feel the stress coming down so I forget about the "plan" and go as long as I am feeling better and not to the point of dropping dead on the shoulder of the road.

The speaker also sold real estate. He said realtors who had goals sold 300% more than those that didn't. Those that wrote down their goals and looked at them frequently sold 1000% more than those with no goals.

My #1 goal is to enjoy myself. If that goal is reached, the rest just seems to fall in line. I wish I could share the whole video with you all. It is excellent and really helps put sense to things I haven't understood. After some more discussion on this I will start posting thoughts on nutrition (hold on for that one!)

Happy training everyone.
2009-02-18 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Who has done a lt test? I've read the protocol for the 30 minute field test and wanted to do it during a 10k I'm running this weekend. My plan was to run 1 or 2 miles, then hit the lap button, race hard for the next 3 miles, hit lap again and finish the run if I don't pass out. Thoughts? Suggestions?
2009-02-19 12:40 AM
in reply to: #1960166

User image

Veteran
Belleville

Brian is fine. I think he is having trouble getting the workouts in. Life getting in the way, but we are trying to train together at least once a week. As for me I am in a little rut. Eating more and not tracking it well. I have maintained but not loss any maybe a lb in about a week. I need to get back in the pool too. I got a tattoo, so I had stayed out of the pool as it can adversly affect it.

The trainer is definitely tough. Brian has one of those computer program things that makes it fairly interesting, but I sweat and hurt after each workout on that thing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19