Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-04-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2097844

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group closed
troy, where do I go to view your race report?

2009-04-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2097293

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
From Steven:  "Took an hour and eight minutes out and twenty minutes on the way back.  It was fun cranking in my biggest gear at 100 RPM.  Hit 45 MPH on a downhill and passed a car. "

Had me laughing out loud...would have loved to see the expression on the driver's face when you shot past them...in my mind it is a modern day hippie wearing Birkenstocks and driving a Yugo with a "Give peace a chance" sticker on the rear bumper...

I'm going to go get the Cannondale tonight and start setting it up so I can ride it this weekend, found out lst night it is a 54 size which I think should be pretty close for me.  If it works out I'll likely sell my road bike as I just can't see the need for both...but am willing to listen to y'all's thoughts on the matter.

My runs are getting stronger, swim still just fine, starting to get more confidence on the bike...so I am PUMPED for my season-opening sprint in 3 weeks!
2009-04-22 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2102039

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

wildcat83 - 2009-04-22 9:05 AM From Steven:  "Took an hour and eight minutes out and twenty minutes on the way back.  It was fun cranking in my biggest gear at 100 RPM.  Hit 45 MPH on a downhill and passed a car. "

Had me laughing out loud...would have loved to see the expression on the driver's face when you shot past them...in my mind it is a modern day hippie wearing Birkenstocks and driving a Yugo with a "Give peace a chance" sticker on the rear bumper...

I'm going to go get the Cannondale tonight and start setting it up so I can ride it this weekend, found out lst night it is a 54 size which I think should be pretty close for me.  If it works out I'll likely sell my road bike as I just can't see the need for both...but am willing to listen to y'all's thoughts on the matter.

My runs are getting stronger, swim still just fine, starting to get more confidence on the bike...so I am PUMPED for my season-opening sprint in 3 weeks!

YEA, peace man, Mike I'm not sure how tall you are, but tribikes are pretty flexible in sizing and you can get away with riding a smaller frame TT bike. It just depends on your upper and lower body measurements. I would not sell your road bike unless you have to justify the purchase. I only ride my TT bike in the coming weeks(2-3) ahead of an event, sprint distance events. I'd up the mileage on the TT bike as the distance training for calls. All other riding is done on my rode bike. You will find that if you ride at all with a group, TT bikes don't handle like a road bike, and can be a little hazardous in a group. Plus you just can't go out for a leasurly ride on a TT bike, there kind of like a thoroughbred horse not made for going slow. Just my thoughts, but you will enjoy a TT bike and aero benefits. Do you have access to the NASA windtunnel? That would be cool.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-04-22 11:30 AM
2009-04-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1901752

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Olman, what the hell is a leisurely ride?  Never heard of it.  ;-)

Mike, aren't you like 6' 4"?  A 54 frame may be too small.  I'm 5'9"-5'10" and I ride a 58 that fits like it was built for me. 

It wasn't a hippie I passed, but there were little kids in the back seat laughing and jumping up and down when they saw me go by.  I'm sure they were giving their mom heck for getting passed by a guy on a bike.  My nephew who's 3 calls my bike a rocket ship.  He just sits and stares at it.  Future triathlete.  Or spaceman. 

2009-04-22 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

Yeah, Mike, if you're that tall you'll need a big frame - I am also 5-9 and my size is a 55 (my older tri bike is a 54, my new built is a 56, my road frame is a 58 but I always thought that was a tad too big for me.

Tri bikes tend to have longer top tubes than std road bikes so you can lay on aero bars.  My 54 has the same top tube length of a 56.

Now Steve, you're freaken me out.  What the heck r u doin out riding a bike in the middle of a flood warning?  You lost me on the leisurely ride comment... I'll take it as a "lost in the translation kinda joke"

Today I posted my fastest EVER run split.  8.41 (8:25) pace over a 5.24 run.  I can not believe it.  I did feel that spring in my feet and even noticed the lengthened stride, but never expected to break 9:30, let alone a minute five faster than that.  I think all this training investment is paying off (so did the 2 days after the test race).  I am a happy camper today.  Hope everyone's having some successes as well.

2009-04-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2103533

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I am 5' 10", and need to check to see what my road bike now is size-wise, I just can't remember.  This Cannondale may turn out to be too small for me, but to try it all I need to do is swap my pedals to it and do a bit of sizing, probably this weekend.  Copy all re: road bike vs. tri, I've just never even been on a tri bike so don't have any idea what to expect.

Olman, GREAT run!  It is really gratifying when you see big jumps in conditioning, isn't it?!

2009-04-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2104758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Mike, at 5'10 I would think a 54 would fit you, but you know all of the bike mfg. have different dimensions for their bikes as to sizing and what works for individuals. So it can't hurt to give a try. As to the handling of a road bike vs. tri bike. You'll steer it more with your elbows, and it will be a little squirmy at first. Little movements will seem huge until you are adjusted to the feel and corrections necessary. So take it out on a safe area/trail if there is one near. And do some riding, sighting is also different, you'll feel it in your neck like you did last weekend on your road bike set up for riding aero. You will not be working your hamstrings as much on a tri geometry bike, which is a benefit to the legs for the run. So go have a test run and see how it feels, make sure your hip angle doesn't get closed, you'll feel it in your flexors if it is. You'll feel constricted. If it feels funny, try rotating your pelvis back a bit and see if that doesn't feel better. Let us know how it goes.

Steven, it was me referring to a leasurely ride. I was trying to point out the benefit of still having an alternative bike to ride over soley having a tri bike to ride. Your right it is hard to hold back when you riding the tri bike.

Olman, nice run. Thats an awesome improvement,  just a few more weeks and you'll get a chance to put your training into play. Keep it up.

Hope all is well with you guys, keep up the good workouts, the day is near.

Question, have you guys joined USAT? If not you will be required to buy a one day license at the event your doing. Cost is $10.00 I believe. If your are doing several events you might as well just do a yearly membership.

2009-04-23 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Nice run Olman!!  That is huge improvement!  That's awesome to see results from sticking with a plan. 

Roy, I was winking when I wrote the leisurely ride comment.  I use my MTB for cruising, but I have been informed by my wife that my idea of "cruising" is way different than what other people think of it.  She won't ride with me anymore. 

I ordered a ProMotion wetsuit the other day.  It should be here early next week.  Bright green accents and flames on the arms.  If nothing else I'll be easy to spot. 

2009-04-23 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Oh, I forgot.  I joined USAT this year.  Their newsletter is really good.  I've read that almost more than I've read my Triathlete magazine.  I'm in three USAT events this year so my membership paid for itself.  I am also trying to gain affiliation with the XTERRA points series for the off road tri I am hosting, so I thought it would help to be a member.

2009-04-24 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
I'm a USAT member too.

My new bike is almost ready - was gonna ride (the old one) yesterday but ended up working in the garage 'til 10PM  I am still waiting for a special front derrailer hanger from TREK.

Mike: Tri bikes handle really weird at first (if you're used to std bikes).  Since you don't have a road bike, I would suggest buying a used roadie and add tri bars instead - one reason being that most group rides do not allow bikes w/ aero bars (for safety reasons) so on a tribike, you'll be training solo - which is what I do 90% of the time.  Like Roy says, both bikes handle very differently.  and yes, you can't help but try to race everything that somes near you.  That ain't such a bad thing.

All, thx for the encouraging words on my foot speed.  I still can't believe it, so I will have to do 2-3 more rounds- I did check the route twice and it was accurate.

All, another tip I picked up somewhere: for OWS-always wear a bright color swim cap - just as the green on Steve's wetsuit, you wanna be found in case of a mishap.

Today starts St. Anthony's activities here.  Lot sof pros and BTers alike.  My weekend schedule is soooo packed, including my son's new Tae Kwon Do promotion and BDay that will take up all of Saturday (race day).  Juggling priorities I decide home is where I will be.  Told my wife there's no plans for IM70.3 next month so block me out of any scheduled activities. 

Have a great weekend everyone and TRAIN HARD.
2009-04-24 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

80 degrees yesterday, and today I wake up to SNOW and 35 degrees!!!  Welcome to ND in April.  I will have to re-evaluate training plans for today as I was going to do 2 hours on my bike.  I'm not sure I want to do that in slush. 

2009-04-24 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings to you guys,

Steven, I'm glad you know how to spell leisurely, I couldn't. Wow, 80 to 35 in one day, that sounds fun.

Olman we can't wait to see your ride, get some good pictures.

Mike, let us know how the ride goes and what you think. You'll like it, it will be a little awkward at first, but you'll get the handle.

Yes St. Anthony's this weekend, looking forward to it. My youngest daughter is in the field hoping to finish top 5, which will qualify her for age group nationals. Last year she won the age group, probabaly not going happen this year. There is a top ranked jr. elite girl in the field this year, she should win it pretty easy, but there is still room to place, and strange things can happen. I'll let you know on Monday. There is a solid field of pro's men and women racing this year it will be a good race. The men will be 1:45 or so.

Have a great weekend and be safe.

2009-04-27 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2104758

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
wildcat83 - 2009-04-23 9:11 AM I am 5' 10", and need to check to see what my road bike now is size-wise, I just can't remember.  This Cannondale may turn out to be too small for me, but to try it all I need to do is swap my pedals to it and do a bit of sizing, probably this weekend.  Copy all re: road bike vs. tri, I've just never even been on a tri bike so don't have any idea what to expect.

Olman, GREAT run!  It is really gratifying when you see big jumps in conditioning, isn't it?!

MIke: this might be what you need IF you ride a 54: chek BT forums for the following:
FS: 2008 Cervelo Soloist Team 54"
2009-04-27 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2108017

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Roy, how did it go for your daughter?  Did you compete as well or just her?  If you did, how was the race?  I saw the pro results online.

I can't believe this event got so little local media exposure.

Steve:  if you have little kids (or kid neighbors) tell them to get large cups and some flavoring syrup... DIY icee.    Seriously, that would suck, good thing you have all those ditches. 

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-04-27 7:14 AM
2009-04-27 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2106103

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

Steven, I've got the same wetsuit, I really like not only the look but also the fit.  And for the price you simply cannot beat it (I paid $259 including shipping)--it has features you could easily pay another $150 for in many brands.  I've had it in the pool several times, but get to take it into open water this Thursday for the first time.

I haven't joined USAt yet, likely will before my tri in three weeks as I'll have at least 4 scheduled this year and that is about the break even point price-wise.

Question for you bike enthusiasts:  I borrowed that tri bike from the neighbor, but when I went to swap pdeals I realized that they are a different size:  mine appear to have a bit over a half inch threaded diameter, whereas the tri bike is just about an inch.  Any recommendation as to what I should buy so I can try it out--I don't want to put too much into something I'm not sure I'm going to keep.  Also, do you guys have dual-sided SPD pedals, or just single-sided?  Mine now are single, but would like to not have to work to flip them over every time I clip in.

2009-04-27 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Another question--Olman, you said that most group rides will not allow tri bikes...our tri training group has many who only ride a tri bike.  Is this odd or what is the reason that tri bikes are not allowed?

2009-04-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2112514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

wildcat83 - 2009-04-27 10:13 AM Another question--Olman, you said that most group rides will not allow tri bikes...our tri training group has many who only ride a tri bike.  Is this odd or what is the reason that tri bikes are not allowed?

I think what Olman was trying to say is, if you are riding with a pure bunch of roadies, and intend to ride in the group they are not going to be real happy with you being in the middle of them. It is purely a bike handling situation, not ability. If you are going to ride in the back no problem. Now like you stated if a large number of the riders your with are on TT bikes then its really not an issue among the group, but you still have to pay a little more attention to road hazards, corner etc. Remember the bikes are not as corner responsive as a road bike. They are kind of like a dragster, made to go in straight lines.

My daughter did really well, in fact I believe she had the race of her life considering the swim was cancelled for everyone except the pro's. This did not sit well with her, and I spent about an hour in Psych 101 class. Finally I told her that she had the chance to have the best day of her Triathlon life to date. As a swimmer she needs that time gain that she usually can get, because most of the top girls can beat her on the bike or run. And considering the relative lack of bike training she does, she avg. 19mph for the 40K, very good time it was very windy, the top girl in her agegroup was 20mph, and she put down a 51 minute 10K, 8:21 per mile, really good. She had the 3rd best run and overall finished 4th in agegroup. Places 2-5 were seperated by about 3 minutes. I'm really proud of her, I think if she would have gotten to swim a 2nd place finish was a definite possibilty. I hope this gives her a lot of confidence in her improving bike/run abilities. She has always relied on her swimming and naturally quick transitions to hold off the others, this time it was all with the legs.

The RD made a hard decision on cancelling the swim, but I feel it was the right decision, it was really rough in the bay, there would have been a lot of problems. 2-4 ft. chop consistantly from the east. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-04-27 11:56 AM
2009-04-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2112490

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

wildcat83 - 2009-04-27 9:07 AM

Question for you bike enthusiasts:  I borrowed that tri bike from the neighbor, but when I went to swap pdeals I realized that they are a different size:  mine appear to have a bit over a half inch threaded diameter, whereas the tri bike is just about an inch.  Any recommendation as to what I should buy so I can try it out--I don't want to put too much into something I'm not sure I'm going to keep.  Also, do you guys have dual-sided SPD pedals, or just single-sided?  Mine now are single, but would like to not have to work to flip them over every time I clip in.

Do you mean the threaded part of the crank on the tri bike is bigger than on your road bike?  I haven't run across that.  I guess both cranks I have had have been FSA brand cranks, so they were both similar.  If you are talking about the length of the threaded shank on the pedal, don't worry about it, just thread them in all the way and you'll be fine. 

As far as what I would recommend for pedals, go to your LBS and buy the cheapest set for use when you borrow that bike (probably egg beaters).  For competition, I personally use Dura-Ace road pedals because that's what I bought when I got my road bike and I'm able to get in and out of them quickly after much practice.  If I had it to do over again, I would buy Speedplay pedals.  They are dual sided and snap in and out with virtually no effort.  Plus they are really light. 

2009-04-27 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2113840

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
aesophs - 2009-04-27 5:49 PM

Do you mean the threaded part of the crank on the tri bike is bigger than on your road bike?  I haven't run across that.  I guess both cranks I have had have been FSA brand cranks, so they were both similar.  If you are talking about the length of the threaded shank on the pedal, don't worry about it, just thread them in all the way and you'll be fine. 

As far as what I would recommend for pedals, go to your LBS and buy the cheapest set for use when you borrow that bike (probably egg beaters).  For competition, I personally use Dura-Ace road pedals because that's what I bought when I got my road bike and I'm able to get in and out of them quickly after much practice.  If I had it to do over again, I would buy Speedplay pedals.  They are dual sided and snap in and out with virtually no effort.  Plus they are really light. 

Mike, I'm w/ Roy - handling is the issue of concern and also, they're afraid you might poke someones eye (or belly) w/ your aero extensions if there's a mass crash.    Has anyone actually seen something like this happening? 

I have LOOK type pedals and Shimano cranks on both bikes and never come across an issue swapping pedals betw bikes, with other people, not even on a SPINNING class bike. Weird, that might be an issue - perhaps you were putting the wrong pedal on the wrong side (crank arm)? -they are specific.

Roy, I figured it was your daughter in4th place when I saw LAKELAND as her town.  We all (including our children) have to learn from our siappointments.  She still did very well. 

I've been reading a lot about the swim cancellation on some forums. Most people do agree that it was a good call though. What gets to me is that the news were immediately followed by other news on the migrating rays and the number of people who got stung over the weekend for stepping on them.  What are they trying to do?  Kill our tourism industry? It's not like the economy is so good that we're gonna start scaring people away!

Me, I stick to ocean swims - no bloody looking lakes. 

Edited by TrkHilo2k 2009-04-27 7:33 PM
2009-04-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2112490

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Steven, I've got the same wetsuit, I really like not only the look but also the fit.  And for the price you simply cannot beat it (I paid $259 including shipping)--it has features you could easily pay another $150 for in many brands.  I've had it in the pool several times, but get to take it into open water this Thursday for the first time.

Mike, what size did you get?  I'm 5'9"-10" and about 165, 32 waist, 40 chest.  I ordered the ML size.  I'm no carnie, but judging from your photo, I would guess that you are around 180-185, correct?  Did it fit smaller than you thought, just right, or a little bigger? 

2009-04-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2114397

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

Steven wrote:  "Mike, what size did you get?  I'm 5'9"-10" and about 165, 32 waist, 40 chest.  I ordered the ML size.  I'm no carnie, but judging from your photo, I would guess that you are around 180-185, correct?  Did it fit smaller than you thought, just right, or a little bigger?"

Steven, I am 5' 10", 172 lbs, 33" waist, 41" chest, and I also bought the ML size.  Personally, I think it is about 3/4" long in the leg, but fits well everywhere else.  The sleeves can be shortened a bit if they are an inch or so too long just using a pair of scissors, but since the legs have zippers, not so easy.  I think overall it fit about as I expected, with the sleeves and legs just a tiny bit long.  I don't think a Med would've worked for me as I think it would've been too tight across the chest.

I'll get my first real open water swim with it tomorrow night, and will post how it went afterward.

Still haven't had a chance to get to LBS to resolve pedal issue on tri bike...14 hr day yesterday kind of shot that.  But the reson is something you guys might be interested in:  the International Space Station Program yesterday gave a green light for launch of 19 Soyuz the end of May which will expand the permanent crew onboard station from 3 crew to 6 crew--pretty huge deal, and many years in the making!

Edited by wildcat83 2009-04-29 11:06 AM

2009-04-29 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Boys,,

Good to see a couple of posts, as event day approaches. As to your wetsuits, I think those are good suits and especially for the money. I wear a sleeveless so a little different fit, but once you get in the water, if they fit right you should feel a little bit of water seeping in and creating a small layer between yourself and the suit. If you feel like you just got flooded, then re-check whether everything is pulled into place properly, neck line is right. It should not have a feel of a lot of water entering the suit suddenly. But it looks like you guys are close size wise so it shouldn't be a problem. 

Steven your first up this weekend, hope your are excited. How cold is the water going to be. YIKES!!! Go through your checklist and make sure you have everything you are going to need, time the morning of a race will get on you quick. Have you practiced getting out your wetsuit yet?

OK Mike, so I saw a Duncan Doughnuts commercial last night, and for some reason it made me think of those two doughnut  places in Manhattan we used to go to late or early in the morning. Swanneys or something, one was in a back alley the other was in a basement of a house. They were on the side of town by Mel's Tavern. Remember the coldest beer in town!!! IN fishbowls. Did you ever go to those doughnuts places? PLease advise if you were a regular customer of those fine places. And I hope Josh Freeman plays well here in Tampa, or he is going to get railed bad.

2009-04-29 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2118697

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Yep, was a regular at both Mel's Tavern on a Friday afternoon--fishbowls kept in the freezer after being dipped in water.  After about 5 minutes of sipping the coldest draft beer you've ever had a circle of ice would float up from the bottom of the bowl...awesome.  And Swanson's Bakery on the street side/Swanneys Back Door on the alley, always a great place to go late at night...don't know how the guy ever found time to sleep.  I remember standing in line in the kitchen, watching twists come straight out of the hot glaze and then right into your bag...ohhhman, but those were great!

OK, need some feedback.  My multi-sport club is getting a group together to go to Oklahoma in Sept. to do the RedMan tri (sprint, oly, half, full, aquabike).  Half and full are on Sat, sprint and oly on Sunday.  I am seriously considering entering the half for a couple of reasons--1. I don't want to wait until Sunday to compete, as we have about a 7 hr drive home afterward.  2.  If I am going that far with our group, I want to do something memorable (very similar reason why I don't travel to do anything less than a half marathon, preferably a full one).

Question is, I was planning an oly in early Sept (would be my first), but have been thinking I need to move that date up due to my conditioning.  Am I crazy for wanting to commit to a half already? 

BTW, I found out there is a sprint tri this Sunday at our local YMCA that I am going to enter, $20 can't beat it.

Edited by wildcat83 2009-04-29 1:36 PM
2009-04-29 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

MIKE, DO THE HALF!!!!!!!!  You will be ready for it (as long as you get fitted to your tri bike). 

I signed up for a half Iron distance tri this week for a September race date.  I will be more than ready by that time, but my June and July schedule are absolutely booked solid with races already. 

Hey, one thing on the switch from road bike to tri bike:  GET A "FLOW" TYPE ANATOMICAL SEAT!!!!!!!!  I never had a problem with numb nuts on my road bike, even after 4+ hours in the saddle.  An hour and a half on my tri bike and it takes three fricken days to get back to normal!!  My seat should arrive today or tomorrow.  You can pick up an ISM Atamo seat from www.bikeisland.com for $85 (regular $120+) and no shipping charges.  That should be an easy sell to the wife for obvious reasons.  Seriously, DO NOT WAIT TO DO THIS, BUY THE SEAT AND INSTALL IT BEFORE RIDING!!!!

2009-04-29 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Sorry if that was TMI, but that's serious business there. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group closed Rss Feed  

of 22