BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-22 1:10 AM
in reply to: #2101707

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:09 PM

patchadams - 2009-04-22 2:08 PM I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.

Is there anything specific that you would like to focus on?

Have you ever done a food diary? Thats a great place to start... for 3-5 days or even a week just write down EVERYTHING yuo eat... by everything I mean the butter on your sandwiches, the 5 M&Ms out of a co-workers packet, the sugar and milk in your coffee...

If we know what you are eating Im sure we can make some small manageable suggestions!

I'm on the west coast, so I get to get caught up with the group while most of you are ready to go to sleep.

I think the most weight I lost so far this year was when I didn't eat at a fast food restaurant and tracked over 1/2 my food in the nutrition log.  When you commit to writing down everything you eat, you really start to think about what you are eating and if you are eating because you are actually hungry or if it's for some other reason (for me it's probably because I am bored or there is work that I don't feel like doing so going to get something to eat, or Starbucks, can put it off for a little bit); in fact, I need to get back to logging my meals real time since I have gotten behind.

2009-04-22 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2099011

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
D001 - 2009-04-20 10:34 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 12:22 AM 1) You have to consciously think about what you are going to focus on BEFORE you start your run, not after - Madkats suggestions are spot on... you have to DELIBERATELY go  slower

2) If your shoes are giving your grief then you have the WRONG shoes.... do you know if you over or under pronate? Chances are you are wearing shoes that are not right for your natural biomechanics

3) I KNOW you hate docs but a podiatrist might be good for you...

The shoes may be an issue. I have Asics, but they're not the higher end. So I'm sure they lack some of the features that I may need to stabilize/cushion the knees and ankles....

I don't know if I over/under pronate.... Here's why: I'm flatfooted, and I tend to land more towards the side of my heel. But then, my ankle rotates out. (Therefore, my foot doesn't roll in.)

The ankle rotation.... Put your foot flat on the ground, then lift the heel up, and push the heel forwards and out towards the side, while leaving your forefoot/toes on the ground.... That's how I walk. (And why I end up with ankle problems.)

When I try to keep the ankle from rotating, I end up with knee pain....

Yeah, I'm a mess.

I'm totally flat-footed too. So flat-footed that my foot bends "the wrong way" when I walk, according to a podiatrist I saw once. I only saw him once because he told me I should stop running.

When I first started running, 7+ years ago, I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted with some "support" shoes, and have been using the same brand ever since. Not to say I haven't tried several different brands. I have, but I always wind up with the same shoes.

That helped a lot, but whenever I went over about 10 miles a week (which was pretty early on), I started having "niggling" pain in my left knee. Finally, I made an appt with a chiropractor that was recommended by my local running club. That was the best thing I've ever done. He fitted me for custom orthopedic inserts, and I haven't looked back since. I won't run without them. The best $175 I've ever spent.

As for the running stance, it was explained to me to imagine that you're basically falling forward, and that your leg just comes out to catch you.  That didn't make much sense to me, really. I imagine that I'm running from my hips and upper thighs, and when I land on my feet, my knees are slightly bent, and my feet are basically underneath me.  I'm a mid-sole stepper, but when I slow my pace down, I sometimes wind up being a heel-roller.

I was thinking of the drills I was taught when I went to a tri-club's track session a couple of years ago. They had us do some "hot pavement" drills... where you imagined the pavement was as hot as a skillet, and you had to keep your feet moving. That'll help you shorten up your stride for sure.
2009-04-22 1:21 AM
in reply to: #2101758

User image

Champion
Sydney

d2lock - 2009-04-22 4:10 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:09 PM

patchadams - 2009-04-22 2:08 PM I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.

Have you ever done a food diary? Thats a great place to start... for 3-5 days or even a week just write down EVERYTHING yuo eat... by everything I mean the butter on your sandwiches, the 5 M&Ms out of a co-workers packet, the sugar and milk in your coffee...

If we know what you are eating Im sure we can make some small manageable suggestions!

I'm on the west coast, so I get to get caught up with the group while most of you are ready to go to sleep.

I think the most weight I lost so far this year was when I didn't eat at a fast food restaurant and tracked over 1/2 my food in the nutrition log.  When you commit to writing down everything you eat, you really start to think about what you are eating and if you are eating because you are actually hungry or if it's for some other reason (for me it's probably because I am bored or there is work that I don't feel like doing so going to get something to eat, or Starbucks, can put it off for a little bit); in fact, I need to get back to logging my meals real time since I have gotten behind.

I start writing things down in my nutrition log when Im slipping too... I dont worry about Calories or anythign like that... I just write down what Im eating and when Im eating it for a few days...

Becomes pretty clear where you can make changes that way!!!

No fast food is an AWESOME starting point!

2009-04-22 1:22 AM
in reply to: #2101686

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:54 PM
Loosing weight is SO SO key with joints... less stress on the joints from weight the better...

Yes, I'm sure this is why I'm having so many ankle/knee issues now, too.

My knee has bothered me since I was in my teens. (Chrondomalcia.) But the excess weight I'm carrying now definitely is NOT helping.
2009-04-22 1:23 AM
in reply to: #2101762

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-22 4:13 PM
D001 - 2009-04-20 10:34 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 12:22 AM 1) You have to consciously think about what you are going to focus on BEFORE you start your run, not after - Madkats suggestions are spot on... you have to DELIBERATELY go  slower

2) If your shoes are giving your grief then you have the WRONG shoes.... do you know if you over or under pronate? Chances are you are wearing shoes that are not right for your natural biomechanics

3) I KNOW you hate docs but a podiatrist might be good for you...

The shoes may be an issue. I have Asics, but they're not the higher end. So I'm sure they lack some of the features that I may need to stabilize/cushion the knees and ankles....

I don't know if I over/under pronate.... Here's why: I'm flatfooted, and I tend to land more towards the side of my heel. But then, my ankle rotates out. (Therefore, my foot doesn't roll in.)

The ankle rotation.... Put your foot flat on the ground, then lift the heel up, and push the heel forwards and out towards the side, while leaving your forefoot/toes on the ground.... That's how I walk. (And why I end up with ankle problems.)

When I try to keep the ankle from rotating, I end up with knee pain....

Yeah, I'm a mess.

I'm totally flat-footed too. So flat-footed that my foot bends "the wrong way" when I walk, according to a podiatrist I saw once. I only saw him once because he told me I should stop running.

When I first started running, 7+ years ago, I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted with some "support" shoes, and have been using the same brand ever since. Not to say I haven't tried several different brands. I have, but I always wind up with the same shoes.

That helped a lot, but whenever I went over about 10 miles a week (which was pretty early on), I started having "niggling" pain in my left knee. Finally, I made an appt with a chiropractor that was recommended by my local running club. That was the best thing I've ever done. He fitted me for custom orthopedic inserts, and I haven't looked back since. I won't run without them. The best $175 I've ever spent.

As for the running stance, it was explained to me to imagine that you're basically falling forward, and that your leg just comes out to catch you.  That didn't make much sense to me, really. I imagine that I'm running from my hips and upper thighs, and when I land on my feet, my knees are slightly bent, and my feet are basically underneath me.  I'm a mid-sole stepper, but when I slow my pace down, I sometimes wind up being a heel-roller.

I was thinking of the drills I was taught when I went to a tri-club's track session a couple of years ago. They had us do some "hot pavement" drills... where you imagined the pavement was as hot as a skillet, and you had to keep your feet moving. That'll help you shorten up your stride for sure.

Actually all this talk of shoes is making me think it might be almost time for me to get some new ones... Im having some ankle and knee niggles recently which is making me wonder if its time for new shoes...

Or new orthotics (although they are pretty expensive as I get custom ones!)

2009-04-22 1:24 AM
in reply to: #2101770

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 4:22 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:54 PM Loosing weight is SO SO key with joints... less stress on the joints from weight the better...
Yes, I'm sure this is why I'm having so many ankle/knee issues now, too. My knee has bothered me since I was in my teens. (Chrondomalcia.) But the excess weight I'm carrying now definitely is NOT helping.

Thats my theory on my knees etc too... I only had knee troubles AFTER I gained the weight...

I have got a bit lazy with my nutrition recently... mainly because I am not gaining... but Im not loosing either so I need to get stricter again!

2009-04-22 1:24 AM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Another thought about the running stance before I hop in the bath.  (Yes, I ran nearly 3 hours ago, but I'm still in my workout clothes. Something smells in here, and I think it's me.)

Have you ever seen a picture of someone running? You know, like a professional runner. Their legs are always out BEHIND them.

See how the foot that is leaving the ground is behind her? And how the foot that is about to hit the ground is only enough in front of her that by the time it hits the ground it'll be almost directly under her?

I think that's what everyone is trying to say.

Of course, just by looking at this picture, I can see she's a much faster runner than I am. My stride isn't nearly that long, except when I'm doing speed intervals, and even then, I don't think I've got quite the strength to go that far out.
2009-04-22 1:26 AM
in reply to: #2101703

User image

Champion
Taser-World
patchadams - 2009-04-22 12:08 AM

I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.

I am a full blown junk-food addict......

I have four basic food groups, but they're not necessarily the ones you'll see on the Food Pyramid:
- Sugar
- Carbs
- Chocolate
- Caffeine
2009-04-22 1:27 AM
in reply to: #2101707

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-22 12:09 AM

Actually, this works really well.

When I tried it, I was AMAZED at the number of calories I was taking in.

I could have sworn I was eating "reasonable amounts." But the food diary pretty much screamed otherwise.....
2009-04-22 1:27 AM
in reply to: #2101772

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:23 PM

Actually all this talk of shoes is making me think it might be almost time for me to get some new ones... Im having some ankle and knee niggles recently which is making me wonder if its time for new shoes...

Yeah, my orthotics are at least 4 years old now, maybe older. Supposedly, they're only good for 3 years. I'll have my guy check them out on my tune-up visit next week.

I was thinking tonight that it may be time for a new pair of running shoes. Since I'm ramping up my running, it would be good to have two pair to rotate out.  But, so far, no hip pain, which is my tell-tale sign.
2009-04-22 1:30 AM
in reply to: #2101747

User image

Champion
Taser-World
d2lock - 2009-04-22 1:34 AM
OK Dee, that's like not fixing your leaky roof when it's sunny out because you're not getting wet...  See a doctor!!  Brought to you by the guy that used to go about 5 years between doctor visits, and now gets to go to physical therapy twice a week.

Oh, is THAT why my roof leaks? But it always seem fine when the sun is out.....

(I know, I know. I need to see someone. It's been a year.... but really, it only hurts when I swim.)

2009-04-22 1:34 AM
in reply to: #2101752

User image

Champion
Taser-World
madkat - 2009-04-22 2:03 AM
OK, enough about fruit. I went for a slow 3 mile run this evening. It really helped work out the soreness from yesterday's run and Sunday's race.

I'm desperately trying to talk myself up about my long run tomorrow. I might need some help with that one. I'm a little worried that it will be long, and hot, and more like my last long run. I know I should be spending my energy on visualizing it being pleasant and successful. I'll work on that for the rest of the evening.

Fortunately, I'm working from home tomorrow, so I can pretty much go out whenever I want.  That'll help take the pressure off.  Maybe I'll get up and automatically get dressed in my running clothes. That way, I'll feel silly just sitting around in them.

I'm not a morning person, so I generally don't work out early....

But if you're not looking forward to the run, maybe automatically get dressed, like you suggested - and then go out and run!

That way, you'll do it before you talk yourself out of it. ([sarcNot that I do this ever. LOL) Also, if you go early, it probably won't be as hot outside....

And then when you're done, you can come back here and tell us all about it.

Actually, I've seen that some people take pictures along the way, and post them. That would be kind of cool. You could take pictures for us, and then post them, so we'd see what your run is like.
2009-04-22 1:34 AM
in reply to: #2101780

User image

Champion
Sydney

madkat - 2009-04-22 4:27 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:23 PM

Yeah, my orthotics are at least 4 years old now, maybe older. Supposedly, they're only good for 3 years. I'll have my guy check them out on my tune-up visit next week.

I was thinking tonight that it may be time for a new pair of running shoes. Since I'm ramping up my running, it would be good to have two pair to rotate out.  But, so far, no hip pain, which is my tell-tale sign.

hmm I think my orthotics will be good for another year then... they got drenched racing this year so Im beginning to wonder at what point Ive really done some damage....

Another consideration is they took my weight into account when making them and Ive lost quite a bit since then so in the next 6months (after Ive finished paying for the bike as everything is on hold until then) I probably should just go and get the whole thing re-done again... getting my feet plastered up was such a unique experience and all

I know you are meant to rotate running shoes... I tend to buy a new pair... break them in... then retire my old pair for other workouts like spin classes and strength sessions.... not ideal but if I was running further and more often I would definatley consider a second pair!

2009-04-22 1:38 AM
in reply to: #2101784

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 4:34 PM
madkat - 2009-04-22 2:03 AM OK, enough about fruit. I went for a slow 3 mile run this evening. It really helped work out the soreness from yesterday's run and Sunday's race.

I'm desperately trying to talk myself up about my long run tomorrow. I might need some help with that one. I'm a little worried that it will be long, and hot, and more like my last long run. I know I should be spending my energy on visualizing it being pleasant and successful. I'll work on that for the rest of the evening.

Fortunately, I'm working from home tomorrow, so I can pretty much go out whenever I want.  That'll help take the pressure off.  Maybe I'll get up and automatically get dressed in my running clothes. That way, I'll feel silly just sitting around in them.
I'm not a morning person, so I generally don't work out early.... But if you're not looking forward to the run, maybe automatically get dressed, like you suggested - and then go out and run! That way, you'll do it before you talk yourself out of it. ([sarcNot that I do this ever. LOL) Also, if you go early, it probably won't be as hot outside.... And then when you're done, you can come back here and tell us all about it. Actually, I've seen that some people take pictures along the way, and post them. That would be kind of cool. You could take pictures for us, and then post them, so we'd see what your run is like.

And if yuo committ to all of that then there is NO WAY you arent going for a run

2009-04-22 1:38 AM
in reply to: #2101758

User image

Champion
Taser-World
d2lock - 2009-04-22 2:10 AM

Well, I'm still waiting for the Sleep Fairy to visit.... LOL
2009-04-22 1:42 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

For the non morning people (of which I am one)

1 - Do not committ to AM workouts more than a few times a week to start with

2 - have EVERYTHING laid out/packed up and ready to go the night before - if yuo have to do ANYTHING (like get breakfast out of the fridge) write yourself a note so you dont have to function in the morning

3 - Put your alarm away from the bed so you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off

4 - Try to make your AM workouts the ones you enjoy the most so you are less likely to want to avoid them

5 - If yuo have ANY friends that might join you for a morning work out rope them in... harder to stay in bed if you know someone will be waiting for you

6 - If needed offer yourself a bribe... I always buy breakfast (healthy!) on the mornings I wake up so my bribe is I get some yummy toast made by someone else!

2009-04-22 1:43 AM
in reply to: #2101788

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 4:38 PM
d2lock - 2009-04-22 2:10 AM I'm on the west coast, so I get to get caught up with the group while most of you are ready to go to sleep.
Well, I'm still waiting for the Sleep Fairy to visit.... LOL

I wish I could help but clearly she HATES me because she hasnt been to visit for so long!

2009-04-22 1:48 AM
in reply to: #2101762

User image

Champion
Taser-World
madkat - 2009-04-22 2:13 AM

I'm trying to picture how your foot bends, and all I keep thinking is, "Ow ow ow."

I posted on the NC forum, to see if anyone can recommend a good shoe store.

I'm definitely going to try that "hot pavement" drill! Thanks!

Today, I did try to lean forwards a little. At some point, I realized that if I engage the core muscles, it made it easier. Tonight, the knee feels ok. (The ankles feel tweaky, but not really worse than they did yesterday.)... I'll get a better idea of everything tomorrow, when I wake up.

(Oh wait. It's almost 3 AM. So I'll be waking up today, not tomorrow.)

2009-04-22 1:52 AM
in reply to: #2101790

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-22 2:42 AM

2 - have EVERYTHING laid out/packed up and ready to go the night before - if yuo have to do ANYTHING (like get breakfast out of the fridge) write yourself a note so you dont have to function in the morning

3 - Put your alarm away from the bed so you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off

4 - Try to make your AM workouts the ones you enjoy the most so you are less likely to want to avoid them

5 - If yuo have ANY friends that might join you for a morning work out rope them in... harder to stay in bed if you know someone will be waiting for you

6 - If needed offer yourself a bribe... I always buy breakfast (healthy!) on the mornings I wake up so my bribe is I get some yummy toast made by someone else!

LOL, I like to think of it as "Auto Pilot Mode."

Everything needs to be ready to go, so I don't need to actually THINK about anything.

Here's a question -- how do your morning workouts compare to your later day ones?

I tried to swim early. I found myself to be much stiffer than when I work out at a later time. BUT I also found that I had more energy for the morning workout. (Which surprised me, because I'm not a morning person. But then again, I hadn't gone to work yet, and I think that wipes me out a lot.)
2009-04-22 1:53 AM
in reply to: #2101792

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 4:48 PM
madkat - 2009-04-22 2:13 AM I'm totally flat-footed too. So flat-footed that my foot bends "the wrong way" when I walk, according to a podiatrist I saw once. I only saw him once because he told me I should stop running.

I'm trying to picture how your foot bends, and all I keep thinking is, "Ow ow ow." I posted on the NC forum, to see if anyone can recommend a good shoe store. I'm definitely going to try that "hot pavement" drill! Thanks! Today, I did try to lean forwards a little. At some point, I realized that if I engage the core muscles, it made it easier. Tonight, the knee feels ok. (The ankles feel tweaky, but not really worse than they did yesterday.)... I'll get a better idea of everything tomorrow, when I wake up. (Oh wait. It's almost 3 AM. So I'll be waking up today, not tomorrow.)

Well since you are 'engaging the core muscles' - you might as well start looking at some core work to strengthen your core...

Supports your running, supports your cycling, supports your swimming... and just all round good for you for general health

2009-04-22 1:57 AM
in reply to: #2101797

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-22 4:52 PM

LOL, I like to think of it as "Auto Pilot Mode." Everything needs to be ready to go, so I don't need to actually THINK about anything. Here's a question -- how do your morning workouts compare to your later day ones? I tried to swim early. I found myself to be much stiffer than when I work out at a later time. BUT I also found that I had more energy for the morning workout. (Which surprised me, because I'm not a morning person. But then again, I hadn't gone to work yet, and I think that wipes me out a lot.)

Interesting question Dee - it definatley varies...

I LOVE to ride in the mornings... so when I do I find Im just used to morning workouts on the bike.

Swimming I find sometimes a bit challenging... my feel for the water seems to be all over the place in the morning... and the evening if Ive had a big day at work! (i like afternoon swims)

Running... umm well since this is never good I find it hard no matter what!

I will say make sure you have had a good dinner the night before... if yuo can stomach it a quick Hi GI snack pre workout is good... I havent really found anything my tummy can handle right before an AM workout yet! But if I find something I will let you know!

2009-04-22 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2101702

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
losta - 2009-04-22 12:05 AM I think I am doing well. I am trying to eat one good meal a day and two meals of 200-220 calorie bars most days. Sometimes I may have two meals.
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:54 PM

How are you going with the nutrition/weightloss at the moemnt?

My 2 Cents (and to echo "Biggest Loser" last night): you have to be REALLY careful about not eating ENOUGH food.  If your body doesn't have fuel to support your exercise, it will switch into "famine" mode and it will try to conserve the fat that you currently have, making it very hard to meet your weight loss goals.  The theory is that your body notices that you are still working hard, but there is less food coming in and reacts to what it believes is a famine and tries to help you survive by keeping its current resources intact in case there is very little food available in the future.

By supplying your body with appropriate amounts of healthy food (especially carbs and protein), you fuel the workout and your body goes after the fat, as well.

I just don't want you to become frustrated by doing the "Calories In/Calories Out" math and thinking, "What am I doing wrong?"  My wife has done so many diets over the years, that her body is now trained to expect a famine every two years because that how often it took for her to gain the weight back and start on a new diet plan.  It wasn't until recently that we made this realization and saw that it has to be a long-term combination of good foods and exercise to have any lasting results.

Good luck and great job sticking to your plan!

Edited by JoeBWan 2009-04-22 8:13 AM
2009-04-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2101778

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
D001 - 2009-04-22 2:26 AM
patchadams - 2009-04-22 12:08 AM I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.
I am a full blown junk-food addict...... I have four basic food groups, but they're not necessarily the ones you'll see on the Food Pyramid: - Sugar - Carbs - Chocolate - Caffeine

Come to Pennsylvania, our food groups are:

Starch
Lard
Sugar
Whoopie Pies 

Mmmmmmmmmm....
2009-04-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2101790

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Resist the "Pillow Talk":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvJ8clMWX0

I have had this commercial in my head for years (not lying).  It actually motivates me because I can really relate.

Edited by JoeBWan 2009-04-22 8:45 AM
2009-04-22 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area

I'm not a morning person either except when on holiday, I love exploring new places while streets are quiet. Though at home, an early Sunday morning bike ride in Greenwich/Bedford (for you locals) is also worth getting up for.

I wonder if there are any evening Triathlons? Seems like a good idea for a really northern latitude. 
I'll be in Alaska in June (but not for anything sport related) it hardly gets dark there at all in June in mid-northern Alaska.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58