BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-19 6:05 AM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Jenny, It sounds like you have a busy week planned.

I just read this article http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--12511-0,00.html?cm_mmc=training-_-2009_05_19-_-training-_-TRAINING%3a%20Run%20Longer

Sometimes I forget the most basic training ideas. And I always beat myself up if I take any walk breaks during a training run. So, this was a good article for me to read.

As for my week: The 2 goals are to meet the training minutes in my plan, and to be flexible in what I do each day. Today is a scheduled 65 minute swim. I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the gym because we have an event at my daughters school. So I might have to switch that out for a 40 minute run and some bike time later.

Every one have a great week. I have a mandatory training to sit through today

2009-05-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2159964

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning

It's a beautiful day here so I am going to try and spend some time in the garden.  I have swimming with my masters group tonight which is my only planned workout for today.  We've had a couple of cold days here so it is nice to know it will reach 70 today.
I have had no soreness from my race on Saturday so I think that tells me that the limiter was my oxygen system rather than my muscle strength.  I've got 3 weeks til my next race so I'm hoping I can make at least a little progress with that - intensity stuff on run I think I need to work on.

Have a good day everyone and let us all know how your training is going
ok i admit i am a bad girl and didn't do my core/abs yesterday
2009-05-19 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone.
I fell this morning, tripping over the dog, taking her down with me.
I did a 40 minute bike then grabbed one of my dogs for a fast 20 minute run. I was feeling great and running a 9 minute mile when we went to cross the only road on our route. She turned and stopped dead in front of me and we both went down.
So I have some nasty road rash on my left forearm and left calf along with a nice looking bruise on my left kneecap and a gash in my right hand. It actually feels okay now that a few hours have gone by, but I was not a happy camper this morning.
Guess I will not be taking the dog out for any more fast runs, just the slow "run with the group" runs.

So on that note, I am done for today. Tomorrow morning I am going go for a 1 hour run and then lift some weights in the evening. The pool is out for a few days until I get some scabs forming.

Is anyone racing this upcoming weekend?
My next race is Friday June 5th - a sprint triathlon at Cherry Creek State Park in Denver.
I hope the water temp is at least 65-68 on race day. I am definitely ready for this race.. I have
tons of energy and I am in the mood to race. I just need to hold onto that feeling for 2 1/2 more weeks!

Hope you all have a nice day.
2009-05-19 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I should mention that I tend to fall down while running at least twice a year.
I get going too fast and space out I guess.
2009-05-19 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2161440

User image

Expert
Dee-I'm sorry to hear you were hurt! You're brave to even attempt running with your dog! I hope you feel better soon.

Is your dog okay?
2009-05-19 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Thanks!
I run with one of my dogs on almost all of my runs.
Yes, Torrey is okay - she is a huge German Shepherd.
She sort of got up and looked at me like "what was that all about?"
and tried to keep running.
My other dog is an Aussie and he goes longer distances with us - he has
some super endurance due to his breed and can go for hours, which is nice
if I want to run up on the mountain.

2009-05-19 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats Jackie and Jenny - sounds like both of you had really great experiences.  Hope you're feeling better soon, Cynthia.

I just finished 3 final exams, and turned in a final project.  One more to go tomorrow, and then I'll be back in touch. 

Take care everyone!
2009-05-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2161541

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Glad you're OK Dee, and your dog too.

I run with my dog all the time too - she's a mixed breed but has border collie and shepherd in her so, as long as I let her jump in the canal on hot days to cool off, she can run with me for hours. She did all my long IM training runs with me.

I can picture the tangle.  If I start running fast from a jog, my dog gets all excited and starts jumping up and trying to play with her lead and I've often had near misses to going flying.  That and if she makes a dart for a deer and I'm not ready for it.
2009-05-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2161542

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good luck Di with that final exam

2009-05-19 10:28 PM

User image

Master
day 3 of antibiotics - not that anyone talked to, let alone examined or tested, me.  day 5 of inhaler.  day 43895478 of coughing.  argh!  Add to that awkward conversation with the MIL, two tired kids, one tired mama... Daddy got dinner duty tonight!

Morning workouts are still going well despite the end-of-day malaise. 

I'll be off Thurs afternoon to Monday for climbing and camping in SoCal... might pack my running shoes along, though the OH trip did not set a good precedent for use!  I guess I could bring my runners instead of hikers...  one of the climbing areas is about a 5 mile circuitous drive from camp but a 2 mile foot trail...  First I must get organized about packing the family for the jaunt.

Heal up quickly Dee! 
Between your comment and a few recent posts on tritalk about scabs - I went poking about the "latest" in wound care as I thought the new idea was to keep wounds moist so no scab forms - faster, healthier healing...yep - e.g., http://www.emaxhealth.com/5/2089.html
Certainly this is how I've been treating my kids' scrapes and I'd tend to assert no scabbing is a better way to go.  just take stock in your favorite salve and bandage and change regularly.

-Cynthia
2009-05-20 7:56 AM

User image

MA
good morning ladies!

sorry to have been gone for so long. I was in NY from Thursday - Monday for my future sister in laws graduation. However the day i got back my new computer finally arrived!! YAY no more mooching off of other people for computer time.

Jenny and Di good luck getting through the final days of the semester.

This morning I went to my first masters swim class!!! YAY! It was alot of fun. Everyone was really nice and willing to help me. the coach was also really nice and pointed out some things to focus on for my stroke. It was great to have a planned out workout rather than just going and swimming laps for a certain distance. It was everything I was hoping for. i'm very excited to continue. I'm kinda of sad I'll only be able to swim w/ this club for a month.

Are any of you allergic to chlorine and if so have you found anything that helps? After I swim it is like having a cold for the next few hours. Lots of sneezing and runny nose (and I do NOT have a dainty sneeze). I've tried Claritin and sudafed and both help some but not very much. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I wasn't able to run the 5k last wednesday so I'm hoping to make it tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to catching up w/ everyone again!

2009-05-20 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2162635

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning ladies

Glad to have you back with us Rachel.  You have been busy.
So, glad you like your new swim club.  I love masters swimming because I get so bored just going up and down myself.  Nothing like having other people there and a coach watching to get you to push yourself.

Sorry, I can't help on the chlorine thing,  hopefully someone else  may be able to - if not it is probably worth posting the question on the triathlon talk forum as I am sure you aren't the only one with this problem.

It is going to be 80 here today they say so I am going to get out on my bike at some stage.  Hopefully for an hour and a half or so.

Have a good day

Jackie
2009-05-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2162635

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Good morning!
Today I think I am going to stick with just my soccer game as my workout. My legs are a little tired still, and I did a lot yesterday. PLus I found out we have one sub, which means I'll be playing for a full 90 minutes. Arggh.
I had a great swim and bike yesterday, except that I fell with the bike not once, but TWICE. Super embarrassing because I wasn't alone, and I felt like a complete rookie to say the very least. Has anyone else ever had problems clipping out of your pedals on your bike? The guy I was riding with gave me a couple pointers, but I can honestly say it does make me a little nervous to go out on the bike. The first time we were at an intersection and I couldn't clip out in time. The second time was as we stopped by my car at the end. I bruised my hand up pretty good.
The question on the allergies- I am seriously allergic to EVERYTHING (not chlorine, but honestly this time of year makes me sneeze and gives me a runny nose 24/7). I have tried many different medications and the one that works the best for me is Zyrtec D. My Dr. prescribed it to me a couple years ago and now it is OTC, but you have to ask for it at the counter (at least here in WI). But it works wonderfully. I have to take it daily, but it really helps.
Hope everyone has a great day and if it is as beautiful everywhere as it is here, hopefully you get outside to enjoy it!
Jenny
2009-05-20 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I am not sure about the chlorine thing. I do know that my eyes burn like crazy if I am in a chlorinated pool, even with goggles on. That is why I found a gym with a saline pool.
My oldest son tends to develop a nasty little cough if he swims alot in an indoor chlorine pool, so let me know if you find out any information.
Can you switch to either a saline pool or an outdoor pool for masters classes?

I went for a very easy 60 minute run this morning. I feel pretty banged up from yesterday's tangle with my dog and the road. Lots of nice bruising appeared overnight, and I look like someone threw me out of a moving car.
I think I'll lay off the running for a few days until my knees feel normal again. I'll probaby hit the bike tomorrow morning if the weather permits. High of 80 today, but only 55 tomorrow. I don't mind the cold, but I won't ride in the rain on my road bike.

Jackie, you have to love those deer! My dogs leave the deer alone, but they both go completely nuts if they see a rabbit.

Have a great day everyone!
2009-05-21 5:49 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!
Dee-I hope you're feeling better today. Jenny, how are you recovering?
Rachel-I don't have solutions for the pool issue. Chlorine really bothers my eyes, even with goggles, but I don't have any of the other issues that you have to deal with.

My training this week has been bizarre. I've only had time to work out late at night, so alll I've done all week is bike.
 Every one have a great day.
2009-05-21 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2165081

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone.

It was a gorgeous day yesterday and I managed to get out on my bike for a couple of hours.  Trying to debate what to do today.  I normally swim with a masters group but coach isn't there tonight so I am thinking of getting to the pool this morning instead.  However it's another beautiful day so would be a shame not to get outside

Hope everyone is feeling good now.  Do we have any racers this weekend?

2009-05-21 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2165112

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Good morning!
Recovery week is going pretty well. I played soccer last night, and ended up playing all but the final ten minutes since we only had one sub. My legs finally feel less heavy. I think today I will try to bike a little. Tomorrow I'll get a lift and swim in the morning, we leave tomorrow afternoon for our weekend camping trip! I am pretty excited for that!
Everyone have a great day!
Jenny
2009-05-21 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
How do you put on a wet wetsuit?
I am doing a triathlon-relay type of event (but solo) in the fall.
The distances of each leg are 1/10 of the Ironman distance.
The first triathlon must be in order (swim-bike-run), but then you can do the legs in any order
you wish. So I will be needing to get my wetsuit back on when it is still wet to do the rest of my projected swim legs.
The lake will be too cold to swim without one at the end of September.

2009-05-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2166604

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Dee,
I have no experience of this but it sounds like fun (as do the tri's where you have to swim with your shoes etc)

My guess would be to use a lot of bodyglide/ oil spray but I don't know.  I wonder if it would actually be easier to get on if it was totally wet (ie put it on whilst in the water??)  Experimentation and practice required!

Assuming it's not a new race (and even if it is there could have been something similar elsewhere) I'd have thought there is a good chance someone on this site has done it and could give good advice - why don't you post the question on the main triathlon talk forum?
2009-05-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2167125

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
To all - thought for the day

Now that tri season is fast approaching, consistent training for those goal races is something we should all focus on.  We don't want to end the race thinking "but if I had just done a couple of more runs/rides etc..."
So, just my tip of the day to review your plans (formal or otherwise) to make sure you are scheduling a couple (at least) of swims, bikes and runs each week.

What I do is have my training plan on my fridge so I am always aware of it and even if I don't want to (eg weather)/ can't do a workout scheduled then I can immediately see the alternatives and fit something in

All other tips welcomed - lets get more chatty and learn from each other
2009-05-21 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2167139

User image

Expert
Good points Jackie.
I have been consistantly falling under the scheduled training minuttes each week for the Oly plan I chose. I see two options.
The first is to re-evaluate if an OLY distance is realistic at this point in my family life. I might have to look for a sprint distance instead.
The second is to figure out a way to make it happen, no matter what.  I've been testing this option out this week. So, I've been trying to do the scheduled minutes each day, even if though it has meant substituting the bike for swims and runs all week. But, is that really helpful?

I did finally get to the pool tinight. Unfortunately, I was in a minor fender-bender today. Some how, it left my forearm/ wrist a little sore. So, the swim wasn't awesome.

2009-05-21 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I will be brave and post the "wet wetsuit" question on the main forum. One option may be to wear my husband's full suit (although it's a bit big on me) for the first leg, then put mine on for the rest. Hopefully Ill get some useful responses

On the note of training, thank you so much Jackie for the great suggestion on how to use the HIM program for both of my A races this year. I have also been posting my workouts on my refrigerator on a weekly basis as a reminder to me - I know what I have coming up that week and can plan accordingly. I am a type-A person, so I like to have things all nice and organized for myself.

Let's do something fun here... a week or two before a race (any race - 5k, sprint triathlon, etc), post 3 things:
1. Your time from prior years in the same event if you have times
2. Your "I would be happy" with this time goal
and
3. Your "I would be ecstatic" with this time goal
I have done this before and I think it is a great way to get totally psyched for an upcoming race. It really makes you focus on what you want to accomplish in a given race. After all, didn't we spend a nice chunk of cash to enter the race? Let's go into our races focused on meeting our time goals and finish fast, hard, and tired! It is such a great feeling to finish knowing that was the fastest you could have raced on that day.

How is everyone doing with their training goals for this week? Let us know if you have met your goals, gone over, or not quite got it all done.
For me this week, I cut one of my runs short by 10 minutes due to my road/dog tangle incident. I also lost 2 swim workouts since I was all gooey and didn't want to subject the nice people at the pool to my gross arm -doesn't that sound pleasant?
I still have a 60 minute bike ride tomorrow - outside as long as it's not raining- on my trainer if it is. Also a swim: bike brick workout Saturday morning (1350 meters speedwork in the pool followed by a 90 minute ride).
2009-05-22 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2167288

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone

Dee - I saw you got a couple of good suggestions on the main forum already - hopefully more to come.

Heidi - that is a really sensible approach you are taking.  Whatever your decision ends up to be the important thing is that you have fun training and racing.  I'm probably going to end up just doing sprints this year because I want to have some fun with less pressure on me for long training hours and I know I become demotivated in the summer when I have the kids at home and trying to find time to train.   I have to become a morning person then,which I'm not usually (and early to me is 6-7am not 5am!)

So, I have the kids home from school today. I decided that if I woke up naturally I'd go and swim or run but I didn't set the alarm on purpose, figuring if I need the sleep I won't wake up.  I didn't wake up so now hubby's gone to work and I can't get out so easily.  That's ok cos theoretically this is my day off.  The kids and I will probably go for a cycle ride later (to lunch and the ice cream shop!)

this week I have done 2 swims and have one more to do which I will do at masters tomorrow morning.  The only other thing I have left on my schedule is a 1.5hr bike which I will do sat or sun. I have done 2 bikes already this week.  For some reason there were only 2 runs scheduled this week for me.  Running is my weakest sport by far so I try to focus on that a bit more.  I have done my 2 runs plus an extra one.  I will also do another easy one on Sunday as I am running around the local triathlon course route with someone I am training for their first triathlon.  So, that's my week. 
I am trying to make sure I get my hours in these last 2 weeks before our local sprint triathlon as I would really like to do well in it......A race.

So onto Dee's suggestion which is a good one.  My A sprint race is now 2 weeks away (from this Sunday).

My time from previous year is 1:21:21 (this is from 2007 as I did it as a relay last year with some wannabee triers)
I "would be happy" with a time that is faster than that but actually under 1:20 would be nice and make me feel like progress has been made
i "would be ecstatic" with a time of 1:18:45.  This is pretty lofty as it means to take time off every portion of the event including a minute and a half off my bike time.  BUT my real goal for the bike is to hit the 20mph mark and that is the time I need to do to hit it - just!  I'll post my goal splits in my blog.

So, who else has got races in the next few weeks to post their goals?  And remember it is perfectly acceptable to have goals such as " to finish with a smile on my face", you don't have to have specific time goals if that isn't important to you.
2009-05-22 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
How were everyone's workouts today (if you already did them)?
I woke up at 5:00 am (I know, it's early but I love it!), peeked outside and saw it was a light drizzle with wet roads. So I hauled down my mountain bike from the rack in the garage and put on all my good rain tech gear and went for a ride. I felt good and was having fun, so I bagged 90 minutes on my bike. I love to ride in the drizzle. Came home to breakfast and coffee already made, so a good morning for me!

MOTIVATION FOR THE DAY: Think about this the next time you want to skip a workout because the weather is bad....
You know that girl in front of you at the race last year that you so badly wanted to pass on the run? If you are out there in the bad weather having a quality workout and she is home in bed wishing the sun was shining, guess who will finish first this year? YOU WILL!!!!

The wet wetsuit question... the general consensus is that if the wetsuit is wet and I am dry, it should not be a problem. And apparently using wal mart bags on your feet help. I will be at the lake a few times this summer getting open water practice, so I may turn one of those workouts into a swim-bike-swim and give it a try. Should be entertaining at least

RACING: I have a B-race in 2 weeks: a sprint triathlon on Friday evening June 5th. I really hope the weather is nice as we have been getting some nasty storms in the afternoons/ evenings. I have not raced this before. The distances are 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run.

I would be happy with: 18 min swim, 4 min T1, 40 min bike (18 mph), 2:30 T2, and 28:30 run (9:30 pace) for a total of 1:33
I would be ecstatic with: 16 min swim, 3 min T1, 36 min bike (20 mph), 2:00 T2, and 27:00 run (9:00 pace) for a total of 1:24
If I could actually get my wetsuit off without feeling like I had gone to the mat with a bunch of wrestlers ,my T1 would be faster. Ugh.

Oh yeah, the 8 hour triathlon solo in September is quickly turning into a 24 hour duo with a good friend of mine. I need to adjust my training since I'm now looking at a 3/4 IM instead of a HIM.
Thought I would keep the HIM plan I am using, but simply add 25% onto the times/distances to account for that extra 1/4. What do you think?
2009-05-22 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Heidi- how far out is your Olympic race?
Have you raced that distance before?
When you say you are falling consistenly behind in your hours, by how much?

A few suggestions....
I have 2 young kids at home also - a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old who will be done with school next Wednesday.
- Wake up early and workout before the rest of the house is up
- Use the childcare at your gym while you workout
- Would the kids be willing to go with you on a bike ride or a run? I have been known to push the jogger stroller while my 8 yr old runs with me for my 3-4 mile easy runs.
- Work out after the kids are in bed
- Use an indoor trainer to get some biking hours in
- Take the kids to the track and let them play on the inside while you run laps

I find that as long as I structure my workouts so I can get the sleep I need, I do okay. I am in bed between 9 and 10 every night depending on how early I am getting up.

You need to do whatever is best for you and your family life right now, so I am just making suggestions to help with whatever distance you choose.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27