BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-11 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2608946

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
justtrichris - 2010-01-11 10:38 PM

Hi group! Oh how crazy it's been since last Monday! I went back to work after a fabulous winter break, started 0-1650 + drills, trained everyday, and raced yesterday. Today is my MUCH needed rest day. Last night I was in bed by 7. This whole triathlete thing is exhausting (yet so fulfilling!).My race was fantastic! It was a trail run at Angel Island in the middle of SF Bay. It was windy and cold, yet exhilarating. The hill straight up to the summit to start killed, but it felt incredible to reach it! For the first time in my racing life, I came in higher than middle of the pack! I was 14/32 in my age group and 66/140 overall. I never ever care about that stuff, but for some reason this one felt good! All of your training last week looked great! Keep up the good work all ! I hope all of you have an great week of training ahead!

WOW that's great!!!!

I know when I finally started placing towards the top of my AG in races... well, I was in shock and it felt pretty darn good.

Congratulations on the amazing race!

2010-01-11 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2608948

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
KSH - 2010-01-11 10:39 PM Hey everyone! I sent out the half mary training plan to those who requested it. 

Got mine, thanks. Good luck with all the stuff you have going on. Have a good one.

Gerry
2010-01-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2608946

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
justtrichris - 2010-01-11 10:38 PM Hi group! Oh how crazy it's been since last Monday! I went back to work after a fabulous winter break, started 0-1650 + drills, trained everyday, and raced yesterday. Today is my MUCH needed rest day. Last night I was in bed by 7. This whole triathlete thing is exhausting (yet so fulfilling!).My race was fantastic! It was a trail run at Angel Island in the middle of SF Bay. It was windy and cold, yet exhilarating. The hill straight up to the summit to start killed, but it felt incredible to reach it! For the first time in my racing life, I came in higher than middle of the pack! I was 14/32 in my age group and 66/140 overall. I never ever care about that stuff, but for some reason this one felt good! All of your training last week looked great! Keep up the good work all ! I hope all of you have an great week of training ahead!

Great job and a big CONGRATS !!
2010-01-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Veteran
Why is it on a race week I always seem to tweak this or that?  Or bump my knee on something totally random, ouch.  Guess I am just being more aware of anything that happens.

Good job everyone on ramping up after the holidays.  Going to do my first 10k race ever this coming weekend, thanks for the invite Tania.  Using it more as a training run for the half marathon that I still don't know why I am doing, haha.
2010-01-12 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Hola to all,

Had a nice slow run with some friends today. Its actually nice and chilly down here if you can imagine that. Karen, I was doing some research on nutrition and saw your post about your experience during the IM when you had some problems at the end and post race. What do you think you did well and what would you do different in that regard? I still have many months to work on mine, but I'm trying to have some kind of idea of were to start.

Thanks

G

Edited by gerrydiego 2010-01-12 2:54 PM
2010-01-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2610151

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-12 2:53 PM Hola to all,

Had a nice slow run with some friends today. Its actually nice and chilly down here if you can imagine that. Karen, I was doing some research on nutrition and saw your post about your experience during the IM when you had some problems at the end and post race. What do you think you did well and what would you do different in that regard? I still have many months to work on mine, but I'm trying to have some kind of idea of were to start.

Thanks

G

Just in case Karen is out shopping at Banana Republic with her new friend, here is some information that I received from a friend of mine that helped me on my nutrition plan.

Here is the initial email....

http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf?utm_source=fuelingbook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=fuelingbook

Nutrition is often considered the 4th sport/event in triathlons.  Due to endurance nutrition's complexity I am going to give you some home work to do first.  Copy and past the above link into the address bar of a new web page.  Read through this PDF, it will give you a lot of good base knowledge information about nutrition.  I am not endorsing the Hammer products, I think they are the second best on the market but they are not what I’m using.  -just use it as a base line for general endurance nutrition.

Once you have read through this it will be easier for me to assist you with a specific plan for you and the event that you are training for...

Then this was the result that ended up working for me quite well.

At the race... I would hyper hydrate 3 days prior to the race.  Take 4 electrolytes about 15-20 minutes before the swim. Take 4 more after the swim while in transition, and another 4 once you have been on the bike for 1 hour, and then again every 45 minutes to hour after.  Take the Hammer gel at the 30 minute mark and then every 45 min. to hour after that, take another gel. Wash the gel down with about 8-10 oz of water (about half a water bottle).

***you might have to adjust the electrolytes depending on how your bodies needs....the more you sweat, or the hotter it gets, the more you will need to take.  On really hot days you will be taking 8-10 per hour. -don’t worry they wont hurt you...

I would only recommend drinking water while on the bike.  -no fructose, no simple sugars, ie. - Gatorade

2010-01-12 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Thanks D,

I now have some homework for the next couple of days. Once I finish I will come back with ideas, questions, etc...

Have a good one,

G
2010-01-12 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2610388

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-12 4:41 PM Thanks D,

I now have some homework for the next couple of days. Once I finish I will come back with ideas, questions, etc...

Have a good one,

G

No problem.  I know Karen will have some additional information and probably quite a bit different.  Good that you are looking at it now so you can find out what works for you over the next few months.

I tell you what, that rough plan really worked for me.  I was extremely fresh at the end of the race and ready to keep going (other than the separated shoulder from a bike crashola).  What I also liked about it was that I used my 2 cage bottles to wash down the gels and then I would just have to refill my aero bottle for hydration with water which is easy (and I didnt have to worry about replacing bottles and them not fitting and flying off).
2010-01-12 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2610151

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-01-12 2:53 PM

Hola to all,

Thanks

G

Derek thanks for posting those resources! I really appreciate it! Nutrition is a very personal thing and what each person decides to do is.. .well, up to them and what works best.

At my Ironman... I executed the nutrition plan I had practiced in training for months.

I personally love Infinit. It's so nice to make a sports drink made for what YOU need.... calories and electrolyte wise. It was great to be able to pack 4 hours of nutrition into one bottle.

Otherwise I cut up my Clif bar and put it into a plastic baggie. And I had my gels in a flask. I think... can't remember that.

What did I do wrong? Nothing. In fact, I did something right... I stopped taking in nutrition when I felt my stomach feeling queasy. I felt it ever so slightly and backed off what I was taking in. I think that saved me from vomiting and possibly ruining my race.

Honestly, it's so hard to say what your stomach will do race day. You plan and plan and race day it all goes to h@ll. I personally think it has to do the higher and longer sustained effort at the race... vs. training. Doing a stand alone 7 hour ride is different from racing for 8-10-12 etc. hours.

The key is recognizing when your stomach is going South and making sure you do not start vomiting. For some it helps... but for many it starts a downward spiral of continuing to vomit. That happened to my cousin. He is a 100 times the racer I am (Boston qualifier, etc.)... and I beat his time by an hour... all because his stomach went the wrong direction race day. Here is his IM RR if you want to read all the gory details- http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Gerry you are lucky, you are training where you will be racing. I think that will set you up for success nutritionally... as it won't be a new environment with new heat challenges on race day.
2010-01-12 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

Hey Karen,

Thanks for the info and for the link to your cousins story (nice cheerleader outfit by the way ;-)) Can´t imagine going through that and finishing. True about living down here and being able to train in the tough heat. The thing is, down here in the Caribbean, you never know what the weather/wind, etc... will be from day to day. I hope its nice on November 28th!!!!

Have a good one...

2010-01-12 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2610882

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-12 9:41 PM

Hey Karen,

Thanks for the info and for the link to your cousins story (nice cheerleader outfit by the way ;-)) Can´t imagine going through that and finishing. True about living down here and being able to train in the tough heat. The thing is, down here in the Caribbean, you never know what the weather/wind, etc... will be from day to day. I hope its nice on November 28th!!!!

Have a good one...

I keep looking at your name and thinking you are from San Diego.....so if I pull off my season, maybe I will see you down at Cancun 70.3 in September, or if I grow a wild hair maybe Cozymel 2010.And like Karen said, nutrition is very individualistic, so research, start seeing what works and doesn't work for you.

2010-01-13 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi team! Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday. The week is halfway over!

I was supposed to run 5 miles last night but ended up getting home and having to wait for a perishable box from UPS. They didn't show up until 8 and at that point I was starving and tired and decided to bag my run. In the box were four frozen deep dish Chicago-style pizza's from Lou Malnati's that one of my best friends from college (a Chicago native) bought me for my birthday last month. So, I sat on the sofa and watched Biggest Loser and had 2 pieces of pizza with my husband. I feel sort of guilty today but I figure that I don't slack off like that too often, and that occasional relaxation isn't going to kill me. Tongue out

Today I'm doing something I never, ever though I'd do, I'm going to track practice! My tri club is kicking off this year's Wednesday night track workouts with a track clinic for people who have never run on a track before. I'm excited to try it out and see how it goes. There are 41 of us running the half marathon I'm signed up for in February so all the workouts are tailored towards that race which is nice. I'll let you all know how it goes!
2010-01-13 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2612432

User image

Master

calimavs - 2010-01-13 3:52 PM Hi team! Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday. The week is halfway over!

I was supposed to run 5 miles last night but ended up getting home and having to wait for a perishable box from UPS. They didn't show up until 8 and at that point I was starving and tired and decided to bag my run. In the box were four frozen deep dish Chicago-style pizza's from Lou Malnati's that one of my best friends from college (a Chicago native) bought me for my birthday last month. So, I sat on the sofa and watched Biggest Loser and had 2 pieces of pizza with my husband. I feel sort of guilty today but I figure that I don't slack off like that too often, and that occasional relaxation isn't going to kill me. Tongue out

Today I'm doing something I never, ever though I'd do, I'm going to track practice! My tri club is kicking off this year's Wednesday night track workouts with a track clinic for people who have never run on a track before. I'm excited to try it out and see how it goes. There are 41 of us running the half marathon I'm signed up for in February so all the workouts are tailored towards that race which is nice. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Occasional relaxation with a slice or two of pizza is perfectly accceptable...in my book  Life to too short to NEVER indulge a little.

The track workout sounds like fun.  Seems like it will make the workout go by fast and be entertaining.

2010-01-13 4:19 PM

User image

Master

I have a nutrition question.  On my long runs, I know exactly what to eat for breakfast (pb sandwich and banana) and when to eat my Gu's.  However, after 3 hours, I am starving.  I have the energy I need to keep going, it's just my stomach growling and begging for actual food food.  Is that normal?  Should I be feeling that hungry?  A few weeks ago, on my 16 miler, I ate an Uncrustable at about 3 hours and it worked pretty well.  Do most people get that hungry that soon? 

Disclaimer: I run 15 minute miles, so I'm out there for quite some time on the longer runs.  (don't knock the times, i'm sensitive)

2010-01-13 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2612480

User image

Veteran
crews - 2010-01-13 4:19 PM

I have a nutrition question.  On my long runs, I know exactly what to eat for breakfast (pb sandwich and banana) and when to eat my Gu's.  However, after 3 hours, I am starving.  I have the energy I need to keep going, it's just my stomach growling and begging for actual food food.  Is that normal?  Should I be feeling that hungry?  A few weeks ago, on my 16 miler, I ate an Uncrustable at about 3 hours and it worked pretty well.  Do most people get that hungry that soon? 

Disclaimer: I run 15 minute miles, so I'm out there for quite some time on the longer runs.  (don't knock the times, i'm sensitive)

I think that is absolutely normal.  I didn't list it on my post but I also carry a couple small Lara Bars to chow down when I get hungry.  Maybe Margot can give you a slice of that yummy pizza to bring along.
2010-01-13 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
calimavs - 2010-01-13 3:52 PM Hi team! Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday. The week is halfway over!

Enjoy Life.  Life gives you some yummy pizza, eat it.  We are not elite level athletes with sponsorships paying our way, if we were, then I would feel guilty about eating pizza and missing a workout.  But since we are in it for the love of the sport, or being active, or whatever it is....enjoy it. 

Now eating it AND watching the Biggest Loser....getting close to crossing the line there...hahahahaha j/k

2010-01-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2612584

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Big_D - 2010-01-13 3:23 PM

Now eating it AND watching the Biggest Loser....getting close to crossing the line there...hahahahaha j/k

Haha that is exactly what I was thinking! Smile
2010-01-13 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

NICE!! On the track work-out but especially the pizza. Enjoy it! I love pizza, heck....that's one of the main reasons I'm doing the Addison Rotary 10k run this Saturday....they will have pizza afterwards!
2010-01-13 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

wow crews,

for me a 16 miler still sounds way out there. Maybe not the fastest but way longer than me :-)

oh... and I will take a slice of pizza any time!!!

G

2010-01-13 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I am about to ride for an hour on the trainer! There. I just gave myself accountability. Now, I have to report back about it. I'm coming to find out that the trainer is much like the treadmill. It's always 1,000 times better outdoors! I'll be back on later tonight. I hope everyone had a great day!
2010-01-13 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2612604

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
calimavs - 2010-01-13 5:36 PM

Big_D - 2010-01-13 3:23 PM

Haha that is exactly what I was thinking! Smile

Oh, I recall a couple of times I rushed home from work, skipped the gym and ordered pizza to watch the first night of The Biggest Loser. HAHAHAHA!

2010-01-13 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2612790

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
justtrichris - 2010-01-13 7:51 PM

I am about to ride for an hour on the trainer! There. I just gave myself accountability. Now, I have to report back about it. I'm coming to find out that the trainer is much like the treadmill. It's always 1,000 times better outdoors! I'll be back on later tonight. I hope everyone had a great day!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I logged an hour tonight myself. Allowed me time to get caught up on my recorded TV programs. That's the positive side to trainer riding.

2010-01-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2612579

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-13 5:17 PM

crews - 2010-01-13 4:19 PM

I think that is absolutely normal.  I didn't list it on my post but I also carry a couple small Lara Bars to chow down when I get hungry.  Maybe Margot can give you a slice of that yummy pizza to bring along.

Since you are doing a 15 minute mile... you can probably consume solids and be OK. Just try it in training first.

Are you running a 15 minute mile... or doing a walk/run?

For me, the longer I go, the less my stomach likes food. My marathon in May 2009, we did it in 6 hours... and I just ate gel the whole time and was fine.

Edited by KSH 2010-01-13 7:59 PM
2010-01-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2610882

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-01-12 9:41 PM

Hey Karen,

Have a good one...

HA! Thanks! I bought it just for his race!

Yeah, had what happened to me... had happened to me... I would NOT have finished. I saw his race before I did mine and it scared me to death! I was so terrified... if it took HIM down like that... what would the race do to ME? I felt fortunate to finish.

2010-01-13 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I cannot tell a lie. 45 minutes on the trainer. It's all mental for me. I'll try to push through next time and sit on it for 60 minutes. Even with a good movie on, it still kills me! Any tips?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27