BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-02-06 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2653331

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
I posted this on the main board as well.  See what you guys think

I have the option of:

A) Felt B16 (new) - $1840 (includes tax) FYI - the tax rate here is 10% and in some places 10.5%
B) Cervelo P1 (new) - $1840 (includes tax)
C) Keep looking.

Obviously the components on the P1 are better but the B16 is Carbon.  And sexy And to be honest i like the LBS selling the B16 better.

Pros, cons, comments, etc....?

2010-02-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2658032

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-02-05 7:07 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-05 9:51 AM
sesh - 2010-02-04 1:22 PM

Two hours on the trainer this morning .

While riding, I watched Interview with the Vampire for the first time in a long, long time.  I had forgotten how much I liked that movie.  Made the time go by pretty quickly.

Awesome movie!  I had the same revelation you did a couple of months ago.  How could I have forgotten such a classic?!  

Good to see we Scott and Vic still lurking around. 

I swam 1800 with with the masters class this morning.  Coach had me working on longer intervals trying to build some endurance.  Also worked on pulling with my lats.  I really think my stroke is not that bad.  Nothing is good, but the worst is definitely my legs.  They are worthless.  I swear the things sink even with a pull bouy.  The coach said that my ankles have NO flexibility and that my lower body won't get better until I get my feet flexed out.  Ugghhhhh!!!  Such a humbling, frustrating, addictive sport!

1800 yards - good for you!  Keep at it, you're doing great.

Now how do you know if you're pulling with your lats vs. shoulders?  I can't tell what muscles I'm using, but I wish I could.  I have read that ankle flexibility does play a huge role, but in what way?  I'm not flexible at all, is that why my kick is so horrible?

Thanks Karen!  I see Bill covered the ankle flexibility.  As for your lats, they are one of the largest muscles on your body.  Also, your back muscles generally work as a group, so if you are using one, chances are you are recruiting the others to help out as well.  Your shoulders, tris, bis are all much smaller.  Therefore, you get more power from lats.  Fortunately for me, i've had years of deadlifts and pullups to form a fairly strong back.  Growing up doing manual labor for money didn't hurt either.  They are what give you that "V" shape.  My lats connect relatively low so when I'm getting a good burn in them I feel it from just under the arm pit to well on down the side of my back.  If you are using your shoulders, they will burn quickly, and much higher up. 

My kick is probably the worst kick of anyone attempting to swim, ever.   The swim coach recognized me the second day of class as the guy with the awful kick, i looked at him with a quizzical look and he said, yeah, you're the guy that kicks backward right? you know, {makes awkward kicking motions with his hands} I said, I don't, uh, i'm not, uh, yeah, thats probably me.
2010-02-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
So I had a trail run today, and it was lovely...not!

First hint of trouble started when I realized it was 11.5 miles and not 9.5 miles.  I don't know how I forgot the distance, I have it posted for my 2010 races.  Anyway, the last 2 miles really didn't matter much anyway because I was pretty much done from about mile 3.5 on (that's when the hills started).

I stuck it out, mostly because I was out in the wilderness, had no idea where I was, and the only way to get back was to follow the markers and people.

I really like to trail run, and usually enjoy it so much more.  I just hurt today from the very first step I took, which did not help.

Anyway, I hope everyone else had a much better workout today.  I am glad I finished and plan to go back next year for revenge!
2010-02-07 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2658750

User image

Regular

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-06 2:15 PM I posted this on the main board as well.  See what you guys think

I have the option of:

A) Felt B16 (new) - $1840 (includes tax) FYI - the tax rate here is 10% and in some places 10.5%
C) Keep looking.

Obviously the components on the P1 are better but the B16 is Carbon.  And sexy And to be honest i like the LBS selling the B16 better.

When you think swimming is a kind of science, wait until you start working on what bike to buy. Mind-boggling :-)

There are lot of excellent articles on Slowtwitch.com, as well as various tests:

http://tinyurl.com/cqx3wr

http://tinyurl.com/ycl93ah

The common answer is: take the bike which fits better. At least this is the answer that I got very often. Unfortunately it does not help a lot - except you really can try various sizes and brands.

Have you thought about buying an used bike?

I was really close to buying a Specialized Transition or an Argon 112. Finally the money (that I had already lying around in an envelop) went into the renovation of the bathroom.

Moreover the majorty of Tris that I do are pretty hilly. So there is less advantage for a Tri bike. At least if you are a coward like me!

Take care

YouYou

2010-02-07 7:53 PM

User image

Regular

Hi there,

I don't find the original post anymore - but someone had probles with Plantar Fascitiis.

Have you tried the Strassbourg sock?

http://www.thesock.com/

Take care

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-02-07 8:00 PM
2010-02-07 8:13 PM

User image

Regular

http://tinyurl.com/yfleyg5

Very, very interesting interview with running coach Bobby McGee. It was part of the “IM Talk” podcast.

The Run Walk protocol is an approach to proactively walk for example 1 minute every ten minute in a marathon, and by doing that improving your overall performance.

I'd love to know what you think about it!

Take care

YouYou

2010-02-08 12:07 AM
in reply to: #2660337

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-02-07 6:13 PM

Totally works.  It works best when you are trying to do a pace that you feel is above your threshold for the length of the race and you have developed your recovery.  But it also works well when the distance on the race is beyond your endurance training. 

Last year when I was increasing my mileage after dealing with Plantar Fasciitis, I didn't have the training mileage in that I would normally have liked to have.  So for a back up plan, my coach and I decided to use a 10min run 30sec recovery at 5430.  I ended up feeling fine so I didn't use the tactic but the point being is that it is completely a valid tactic. 

When Billy Rogers set the American Record in the Marathon...(in what year was that?) he did it with a walk/run strategy.  So yep, you can run a record breaking marathon with walk breaks.

Rochelle

2010-02-08 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2658750

User image

Mammoth Lakes
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-06 11:15 AM I posted this on the main board as well.  See what you guys think

I have the option of:

C) Keep looking.

IMO...the one that fits better, is the way to go!  It is the most important factor...after that
components can be upgraded over time, the bike frame can't.
I have a P3C.  So I can say how much I like Cervelo.  But if I would pick a carbon bike over alloy.  Carbon is a lot more comfortable (and usually lighter) when it comes to vibration.  But if you are doing shorter races (sprint or Olympic) and you don't do many rides over 2 hours then any extra cost for carbon may not be really worth vibration comfort.
With fit being equal...I think I would lean towards the Felt...And the LBS preference is important too.

rochelle
2010-02-08 1:30 AM
in reply to: #2660315

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-02-07 5:53 PM

Hi there,

I don't find the original post anymore - but someone had problems with Plantar Fascitiis.

Take care

YouYou

I think everyone has a PF theory and PF cure...  And almost everyone will tell you how bad it is and how long it took to go away...So my experience is just that... and the following is based on my results.  but I can tell you that once I started this program it went  from not being able to walk to running again in two weeks and the pain to a manageable level within 2 months. I also put my dad on this program.  He had PF for 20 years.  He had a 80% decrease in pain in a couple of days. 

Here is what helped my PF:

More and more research is finding PF is caused by tight calves, tight hip flexors or pelvic tilt/rotation.   (Some people believe the tight hips and calves are a result of the pelvic tilt.)

1) I used the triggerpoint therapy balls and rollers 3X a day.  These are awesome tools, I still use them almost ever day.  They work on calves, shins, peronials, quads, hams, hip flexors, and shoulders.  They have a kit and instructions program just for PF too.  here is a link: http://store.tptherapy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TPT%2DPFK . I have chronic tight calves and these do wonders for that problem.  They also have tips for the tight hip flexors.  --I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!  I don't know how I survived without them.

2) Traumeel and Ibunex.  Traumeel is a homeopathic pain reliever/anti inflammatory.  You can buy it in health food stores in oral tabs or cream.  I used the cream. It actually works and several Olympic teams use it.  No smell either. It is a little pricey however.  $30 a small tube.  I also used Ibunex which is a topical Ibuprofen.  I have only found this product on line.    Both are great pain relief products.

3) Strong cross friction.  My trainers spent a lot of time rubbing out the PF (uncomfortable)  If you rub deep in the arch you can feel "crunchy" spots through out the foot.  This is scare tissue and calcification within the muscle and fascia.  When this goes away, so will your pain.  You can get rid of it by ultrasound & by deep cross friction.   It may take a little while to actually start to feel results and there seems to be layers of this calcification..  My trainers used ART technical to work it out.  And at home:  this is not to be tried by anyone faint of heart:  I used a metal rod about 18" long and 1/4" diameter.  I would drag and pull this rod down the arch and heel of my foot. I would "Wedge" it between my foot and the floor and arc the rod across my arch working out any hard crunchy spots or hard tight muscle areas.  I would also do on the under sides of the foot and heel including the back of the heel.  This is NOT for the faint of heart!~ I was putting as much pressure as I could against the muscles and fascia. It was extremely uncomfortable and I would never have believed it if a practitioner didn't do it to me and if it didn't work!!!!!  As soon as we started this, I started to see results almost immediately.  you may have heard about the recommendation of an Ice Bottle... this is different.  You need it to be more direct but not as direct as a golf ball.  your not looking for pushing pressure..you are looking at a dragging rubbing hard pressure.  I have seen a wooden rod with ribs on it... that may be a really good option too. but be sure to rotate your foot over the ribs not just front to back.

5) stretch you toes.  Try to spread your toes apart.  When you begin this help them out with your hands.  Gently pull each toe apart until you feel a slight stretch. do this in the up and down directions too. After a few days of this, you should be able to spread your toes without help from your hands.

6) get the pelvic tilt fixed.  there was a post earlier on the Pelvic Tilt...who posted that?  Was is Karen?    If you can't find a doctor that does this....find a Rolfing practitioner (also called Structural Integration) ART or Zero Gravity practitioners.  If you can't find any massage practitioners that Will check your pelvic tilt/rotation then your last resource should be a chiropractor.  Also,  pelvic rotation is a chronic issue.  You will get it fixed and a few days later it will occur again because your back muscles, hamstrings, hip flexors will be tight or imbalanced from the tilt and so you will have to keep putting them back in place and then it will slowly start to stablize...but it will usually switch sides before doing this.  You can often do the same exercise that the last post mentioned at home.  Lay on your back with your feet on the ground and your knee up.  Put a small soft ball or pillow between your knees and a belt or strap around your knees holding them together -but not to tight.  you will want to squeeze your knees together hard against the ball and then pull them apart against belt, then squeeze then pull...do this in "rapid fire" 1-2 second squeeze, 1-2sec pull, squeeze, pull.  This will help rotation but doesn't do a lot for tilt...  I am still looking for a home remedy for that one.

7.  Finally.  i know this isn't available to most people but ultrasound 3x a day....priceless ....well OK - the right term is "pricey!" With insurance, this costs $50 an hour.  There are personal home  ultrasound machine that you can buy for about $120.  But ultrasound does have hazards and you shouldn't do it on your own unless you know what you are doing or are given instructions.   Speak to your doctor or therapist about a prescription for a home machine and instruction on how to do it.  But I am going to assume that most doctors and therapist won't just me willing to offer this up.

2010-02-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2660313

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
YouYou - 2010-02-07 7:51 PM

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-06 2:15 PM I posted this on the main board as well.  See what you guys think

I have the option of:

C) Keep looking.

When you think swimming is a kind of science, wait until you start working on what bike to buy. Mind-boggling :-)

There are lot of excellent articles on Slowtwitch.com, as well as various tests:

http://tinyurl.com/cqx3wr

http://tinyurl.com/ycl93ah

The common answer is: take the bike which fits better. At least this is the answer that I got very often. Unfortunately it does not help a lot - except you really can try various sizes and brands.

Have you thought about buying an used bike?

I was really close to buying a Specialized Transition or an Argon 112. Finally the money (that I had already lying around in an envelop) went into the renovation of the bathroom.

Moreover the majorty of Tris that I do are pretty hilly. So there is less advantage for a Tri bike. At least if you are a coward like me!

Take care

YouYou

Thanks for the links!  I have thought about used, but I'm in a relatively small market and pretty much the only way to find a good used bike would be online.  I don't know near enough, to know what I'm really looking for, so I feel a little more comfortable leaning on an LBS even though I know most of them are just trying to upsale me.  Thats why i like the guys selling the felt.  Good feedback from friends who have used them and a comfortable feeling when I was in there myself.
2010-02-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2660571

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
wyldhair - 2010-02-08 1:30 AM

Hi there,

I don't find the original post anymore - but someone had problems with Plantar Fascitiis.

Take care

YouYou

6) get the pelvic tilt fixed.  there was a post earlier on the Pelvic Tilt...who posted that?  Was is Karen?    If you can't find a doctor that does this....find a Rolfing practitioner (also called Structural Integration) ART or Zero Gravity practitioners.  If you can't find any massage practitioners that Will check your pelvic tilt/rotation then your last resource should be a chiropractor.  Also,  pelvic rotation is a chronic issue.  You will get it fixed and a few days later it will occur again because your back muscles, hamstrings, hip flexors will be tight or imbalanced from the tilt and so you will have to keep putting them back in place and then it will slowly start to stablize...but it will usually switch sides before doing this.  You can often do the same exercise that the last post mentioned at home.  Lay on your back with your feet on the ground and your knee up.  Put a small soft ball or pillow between your knees and a belt or strap around your knees holding them together -but not to tight.  you will want to squeeze your knees together hard against the ball and then pull them apart against belt, then squeeze then pull...do this in "rapid fire" 1-2 second squeeze, 1-2sec pull, squeeze, pull.  This will help rotation but doesn't do a lot for tilt...  I am still looking for a home remedy for that one.

I am currently having this corrected at PT along with my hamstring stretches.  I had no idea this was causing so many problems.  They are going to show me today or Wednesday how to reset my hip/pelvis/whatever at home for after physical therapy is over.

2010-02-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2661128

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
2150 yds in the pool this morning for class.  I finished with one set of 500 yds - which I was proud of.  I would put it on the refrigerator with an alphabetical magnet if I could.   I know Bill said it was worthless to swim the distances with poor form, but my swim coach is working with me to build endurance and correcting minimal aspects of my stroke as I go.  He never gives me too much to think about which is good.  Because if you think about all the things that need corrected, it can be overwhelming. 

I liken it to Pitching mechanics.  So many different body parts have to work at a precise timing and positioning to pinpoint a baseball where you want it to go.  You can't ever think about everything, just one minor adjustment at a time and lots of patience.  Some days are better than others too.

2010-02-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2661128

User image

Mammoth Lakes
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-08 8:09 AM
wyldhair - 2010-02-08 1:30 AM

I am currently having this corrected at PT along with my hamstring stretches.  I had no idea this was causing so many problems.  They are going to show me today or Wednesday how to reset my hip/pelvis/whatever at home for after physical therapy is over.

Pelvic tilt and rotation is a crazy culprit of so many issues and few people know what it is.  For me, when I get it corrected, I feel immediate relief.     Tell us what your PT Says for home remedies.  Karen, have you looked into pelvic tilt?  It may be the issue with your sit bones and hamstrings?
2010-02-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2661177

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-08 10:31 AM 2150 yds in the pool this morning for class.  I finished with one set of 500 yds - which I was proud of.  I would put it on the refrigerator with an alphabetical magnet if I could.   I know Bill said it was worthless to swim the distances with poor form, but my swim coach is working with me to build endurance and correcting minimal aspects of my stroke as I go.  He never gives me too much to think about which is good.  Because if you think about all the things that need corrected, it can be overwhelming. 

I liken it to Pitching mechanics.  So many different body parts have to work at a precise timing and positioning to pinpoint a baseball where you want it to go.  You can't ever think about everything, just one minor adjustment at a time and lots of patience.  Some days are better than others too.

Well, not worthless, but if it's all you do it defeats the purpose.  Sounds like the coach is on the right track, and the pitching analogy is a good one. 

I've just seen so many new swimmers (and if you're doing 2150yds in a workout, you are not a new swimmer) basically never get anywhere because they never take the time to correct form.  They get the idea that swimming is like cycling.  In other words, the longer and farther you go, the better you get.  Really, all they need is to correct major flaws and "miraculously" they can swim a LOT longer, a LOT faster, and spend a LOT less energy.

Its' sort of like picking the right tri coach.  The one who knows you, what you want to accomplish, and has experience in doing the same thing.  I guess in being involved with a lot of extreme beginners, I've figured out what to do with someone who feels like drowning after 50yds.  I know some technical stuff, but if you're a 1:30 - 1:45 min/100yd swimmer and want to get faster, I just don't have enough experience outside of what I did for myself that can help.  Basically at that point, all I can offer is keep the drills and push yourself.  That's really all I did.  Kept the drills and did big sets of 100s or 200s at near max or even at full max effort.

Edited by sesh 2010-02-09 8:36 AM
2010-02-09 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Good PF stuff, Rochelle.  I was pretty pizzed at my run Sunday morning.  Just a mile in and my heel started bothering me.  Coming up on two miles it was definitely hurting.  Now, I don't really know the extent of how bad it was because it got in my head, and I just got angry, flustered, and quit.  That's not like me usually, but everybody gets a bad day every now and then right?

Today was better.  It felt a little tight about a mile in, and there was some minor aching, but I decided to keep at it and see if it subsided.  I started letting my mind wander to other stuff so I wouldn't focus on it, and before you know it, I had finally gotten a run of some substance in.  It's a little tender right now, and the dress shoes aren't helping, but I think a little ice and some more stretching out will get it worked out. 

It's a process, it's a process, it's a process.... not gonna happen over night.

2010-02-09 10:07 AM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Bike Max Heart Rate Test

Okay, here is the bike test.  I am giving you 3 options here because each of you live in a different area some with hills some without and some of you are stuck on a trainer right  now. These are in essence the same test applied to the situation that you find your self in.

In general, most people will find their bike max heart  rate is about 10 beats lower than there running max.  There are a lot of theories why, but I believe it is because running uses more major muscle groups in quicker power expenditures and cycling is a smoother power expenditure.  In addition,  impact acts as resistance and has  a large effect on your heart rate.  Because of this, I am sorry to say that  bike tests hurt a lot more than the run tests.  You will be relying on effort level to get your heart rate higher, and for that reason i find the Hill Test is the least painful because you get resistance in the form of gravity.

These tests are stressful.  If there is a possibility that you are not in physical condition to give a 100% effort for 5-6minutes then you should not do these tests.  You should estimate your bike max instead.

The actual tests are only about 6 minutes long. Not including the warm up and recovery. Warm up well  for at least 15 minutes .  During  these  warm up include  3 quick fast sprints of about 45 seconds to get the muscles activated. 

HILL TEST
Find a long  steady and uninterrupted hill.  The hill doesn't have to be steep in fact it is better if it isn't . Ideally you want a hill that will let you spin up it not power up it.

Be sure that your heart rate monitor is recording.  If you are programming your computer you can set alarms and laps but be sure it continues to record data after the effort (no auto stop) as your heart rate may continue to rise for a few seconds after this test. Also, not so important but nice to have is an average of your heart rate for the last 2 minutes of the effort.  This is a 5 minute test. You will increase effort steadily for 4minutes and 15 seconds.  Then you will sprint for 45 seconds.

Check your computer for the highest heart rate during and after the test.

TIME TRIAL TEST
I've seen people  fall off there bikes  at the end of this test so use caution.

Be sure that your heart rate monitor is recording.  If you are programming your computer you can set alarms and laps but be sure it continues to record data after the effort (no auto stop) as your heart rate might continue to rise for a few seconds after this test. Record the average heart rate for the last 2 minutes if you can, but not required.. This is a 6 minute test of all out effort.

There isn't much I can tell you about  this  test other than you should start in easy gears and work up to your full effort  during the first 45 sec to 1 minute.  Then for the remaining 5 minutes do everything you can to give your full  effort.  At 2 1/2minutes  you should be wanting this  test to be over, but keep at it.  You can stand up through this  test for very short intervals (15sec) but keep the effort up for the entire time.  This  test should start with faster cadence and end with what ever you can give.  Don't worry about cadence on this workout, just give it your all.  At the end of the test, give your self a short moment to recover but try to stay moving afterwards. Be sure to spin out during your recovery home.  I recommend a  sport drink before and after this test.

TRAINER
If you are stuck inside or just don't have a place to go do a test, a trainer works too. This is  basically the same as the hill test but you will increase resistance on the trainer to simulate a hill. 

I've never actually done this test because I will do anything to stay off the trainer.  (including riding my bike in sub 20 degree temps.-my derailleur and my chain froze solid on that ride)  But I have been told that this test is best done with someone there to help out with increasing resistance and cheering you on.

Be sure that your heart rate monitor is recording.  If you are programming your computer you can set alarms and laps but be sure it continues to record data after the effort (no auto stop) as your heart rate will  continue to rise for a few seconds after this test. Also, not so important but nice to have is an average of your heart rate for the last 2 minutes of the effort. This is a 5 minute test. You will increase effort every minute and then sprint for the last 45 seconds. 

Start out in a moderate effort with cadence about 90.  Increase resistance every minute so that at the 3 minutes you are putting out a significantly hard effort. Sprint the last 45 seconds.

Okay, check out your data and record your  highest Heart Rate.  Also, if you have it record what your average HR was for the last 2 minutes of your test.

2010-02-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2662965

User image

Mammoth Lakes
sesh - 2010-02-09 6:30 AM

Good PF stuff, Rochelle.  I was pretty pizzed at my run Sunday morning.  Just a mile in and my heel started bothering me.  Coming up on two miles it was definitely hurting.  Now, I don't really know the extent of how bad it was because it got in my head, and I just got angry, flustered, and quit.  That's not like me usually, but everybody gets a bad day every now and then right?

Today was better.  It felt a little tight about a mile in, and there was some minor aching, but I decided to keep at it and see if it subsided.  I started letting my mind wander to other stuff so I wouldn't focus on it, and before you know it, I had finally gotten a run of some substance in.  It's a little tender right now, and the dress shoes aren't helping, but I think a little ice and some more stretching out will get it worked out. 

Hang in there!  Usually PF feels better through your run.  It is just getting through the first mile or so..ouch, ouch, ouch.   Some specialist (that never had PF, I am sure) feel you should stop running when you have PF until it goes away.  People that have had it seem to say they did better if they  ran through it.  What is the forums opinion?

Great job on keeing with it!
Rochelle

2010-02-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2663355

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
wyldhair - 2010-02-09 10:54 AM

Hang in there!  Usually PF feels better through your run.  It is just getting through the first mile or so..ouch, ouch, ouch.   Some specialist (that never had PF, I am sure) feel you should stop running when you have PF until it goes away.  People that have had it seem to say they did better if they  ran through it.  What is the forums opinion?

Rochelle

I did better running through it.  And after a short little bit, it really didn't bother me too much through the training runs.  I also rolled the frozen water bottle several times a day and that helped immensely!
2010-02-09 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2663355

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
wyldhair - 2010-02-09 11:54 AM

Rochelle

I only had PF one time, and one time was enough for me.  I don't think it was really bad compared to how I hear some people describe theirs, but it was bad enough that it hurt to just walk or stand.  Interestingly enough, when I went for a run, about 5 minutes into the run it disappeared and I was good until the next morning.  I was training for a marathon at the time and didn't know if I'd be able to run it.  But it cleared up after a few weeks and I was fine after that.

I say run through it if you can stand the initial pain starting out.
2010-02-09 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
This pelvic tilt - wouldn't a person know if they needed adjustment?  Or if they had an issue?  I'm confused as to what I would make an appointment to have checked, and what I would say the appointment was for.  But I'm curious and willing to try anything.

For the bike test, I was talked into doing a 10 mile time trial on Saturday.  I'll probably try this test next week if the weather is good and I can figure out where to find a good hill.

At swimming this morning I did butterfly for the IM.  I usually skip it because I can't do it.  And I also tried out flip turns.  Not very good at those.

Sesh - any tips for butterfly?  How come the others in the pool look so smooth?  I'm not sure how I look except foolish, but I noticed my butterfly makes huge waves out in front of me, and others don't seem to do that.  Seriously, when I get to the end the water is crashing over the top.  I must be doing something wrong.
2010-02-09 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2664178

I agree that running through it is the way to go. I have PF and ran a marathon with it. It seems to ease up after a couple of miles. It is painful later in the day and for the next couple of days but it doesn't bother me as much when running. The raquetball and frozen water bottle work well for me.

2010-02-09 10:09 PM

Sesh - I could use help with a swim drill or two, if you don't mind. I tend to drop my front arm when I take a breath. I think I am actually pushing down rather than pulling and I'm sure it is messing with my timing. I can tell that I am doing it but can't seem to stop. I think it stems from a bad habit when I started swimming. I would start to sink and think I would drop the arm to prevent it. I have tried the catch up drill for hundreds of meters but always revert back to it when I go back to swimming. Any tips?
2010-02-10 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2664581

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-02-09 5:15 PM This pelvic tilt - wouldn't a person know if they needed adjustment?  Or if they had an issue?  I'm confused as to what I would make an appointment to have checked, and what I would say the appointment was for.  But I'm curious and willing to try anything.

For the bike test, I was talked into doing a 10 mile time trial on Saturday.  I'll probably try this test next week if the weather is good and I can figure out where to find a good hill.

At swimming this morning I did butterfly for the IM.  I usually skip it because I can't do it.  And I also tried out flip turns.  Not very good at those.

Sesh - any tips for butterfly?  How come the others in the pool look so smooth?  I'm not sure how I look except foolish, but I noticed my butterfly makes huge waves out in front of me, and others don't seem to do that.  Seriously, when I get to the end the water is crashing over the top.  I must be doing something wrong.

You may not know that you have that issue.  I think it similar to when your back is out of alignment.  There are varying degrees of need that can range from discomfort, lack of range of motion, pain or referred pain.  Anterior pelvic tilt usually caused referred pain.  The tilt or rotation is usually within the normal range of hip motion so the problem isn't that it went there, the problem is it isn't coming back to center. When I get this I feel it in my Piriformis (side of my butt) and with extended misalignment it messed with my running gate and caused compartment syndrome and is most likely a huge factor in my PF. But the entire time I had it, I would not have said my hips are out of whack. After getting it fixed I can recognize it even when it is a little out of whack.  When my husband is off tilt, his hamstrings and IT band tighten up and that causes back pain.  Check out this article.  It gives a nice little summary and a visual test you can do at home. http://www.hesfit.com/men/comment/losing-your-gut-anterior-pelvic-t... />
I recommend that you call several massage therapist and ask if they do structural body work. (or you can look for certification in Structural Integration, Rolfing, Zero Gravity, and ART). Tell them that you are having pain in your sitting bones and tight hamstrings and you are wondering if it could be from Anterior Pelvic Tilt and would like an in person consultation. If the massage therapist you speak with doesn't do structure work, ask for a referral.  The massage field is usually a pretty tight community and many of the therapist know each other and are interested in the different techniques.  Still no luck, call a yoga instructor. There is a good chance they may be able to evaluate you and make a recommendation.  Yoga is about balance so the hip girdle gets a lot of attention.  Worst case scenario find a trusted chiropractor and call them and tell them the same thing.

If you want to you can combine your 10 mile TT and the HR Test.  Do the TT as normal but at about 1 to 1.5 miles to go begin an all out effort with everything you have left. Check for your Max HR and also record your average HR for those last 10 minutes.

Karen, I know how you feel about what I call "the other" swim strokes. I am a fish out of water when I try to do anything other than Free... yesterday morning a former national swimming champion that lives here and I haven't seen in months told me my that my free style is absolutely beautiful until I do a flip turn and then he said he didn't realize it was me in the pool when he came in because my back stroke was so bad that he thought I was a complete novice swimmer. I decided to focus on the free style compliment, it was big coming from him and I don't really need all those flip turns and back strokes to be pretty too, do I?
2010-02-10 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2664863

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

sjf21 - 2010-02-09 10:09 PM Sesh - I could use help with a swim drill or two, if you don't mind. I tend to drop my front arm when I take a breath. I think I am actually pushing down rather than pulling and I'm sure it is messing with my timing. I can tell that I am doing it but can't seem to stop. I think it stems from a bad habit when I started swimming. I would start to sink and think I would drop the arm to prevent it. I have tried the catch up drill for hundreds of meters but always revert back to it when I go back to swimming. Any tips?

Try the pull and glide with a pull buoy between your legs.  The buoy will let you forget about your bottom half so you can focus up top.  Basically, you just really exaggerate your... well, pull and glide.  You take a normal stroke but you hold it for a about a second longer.  So, your left arm is out front while your right arm is at the back end of your pull, and you pause there.  This is a good drill for streamlining and rotation work, but you can also focus on keeping that arm up when you take a breath.  It will exaggerate the amount of time you've got to keep it up there, so you should really be able to consciously focus on getting that good initial "grab."

That is a very, very common thing that your noticing.  I do it all the time at the end of sets.  You just get tired and certain parts of your stroke start to fall apart.  Problem is, not a lot of people notice it, so they never really get to work on it. 

2010-02-10 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2664581

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-02-09 7:15 PM

They probably look smooth because they've been doing the butter fly for a long, long time.  It's a ridiculously hard stroke to do, but it's also (in my opinion at least) one of the best core work outs around, so that's why I do it. 

First of all, there's the timing of your kicks and pull.  That really just comes with practice, practice, practice and getting stronger.  However, as for feeling like your making huge waves out in front, that might be easier to correct:

If I had to bet, you're probably pushing yourself up out of the water instead of pulling yourself through it.  Your arms may be to straight, going to deep, pushing you up, then you fall into the water making a huge wave.  The best way I can describe it is after you have thrown your hands forward, you basically pull the same way as you would on a free stroke, you just do it with both hands at the same time.  Elbows bent, pulling from the lats, not driving your hand down to the bottom, not swinging out wide either.  It's a funky feeling, but if you practice it a lot, it gets more natural.

It's kinda hard to do, but you can slow the fly down and work on it.  It's really on getting the timing down between dolphin kicks and the "two arm free."  Any up and down movement should be minimal and the result of the kick only.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17