BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-28 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2769357

Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
Hey Justin,

I was FLOORED by how much I was taking in...now its a game to see how good I can be and not be hungry.  So far, its been easy to stay under but we'll see how long this lasts...sometimes I get all gungho and then burn out quick.  I'm trying to be sensible about it so it sticks and I'm going to allow one meal every 10-14 days or so that is "free", no counting calories for that one.

Ronda

2010-04-28 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2821273

User image

Veteran
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-27 9:15 PM Crisi,

As for the sore ankles, two things: are you swimming with your toes pointed and are you using fins?  If your toes are pointed, it may be that you are just not used to that position and if you are a biker you may have stiff ankles that will make swimming with your toes pointed uncomfortable as your ankles are not used to that stretch.  If you are using fins in your workouts, that may be whats causing the soreness as fins help to flex your ankles.  To get a good strong whip like kick from your hips, your ankles have to be able to flex as much as possible.  If you sit down with your legs in front of you, you can point your toes and try withour lifting your heels up, to touch your toes to the floor.  This will help you to stretch your ankles.

Ronda

Thanks for the tips!!!  The ankle stretch works great!!! 
2010-04-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2824101

User image

Veteran
cjhild - 2010-04-28 6:20 PM

Have any of you upgraded your saddle?  What are you using, why?  I have a Specialized Allez Compact, all stock parts.  I want to get a new saddle, have a leg issue that I think is aggravated by the support bar running from the front to the back of the saddle just under the seat.  Hoping a different saddle may help, ready to upgrade something on this thing anyway.

I use a Terry Butterfly which I LOVE, but I think it's a woman's specific saddle... 
2010-04-28 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
I had an amazing afternoon and thought I would share!  My husband and I have been working to get some of our friends into working out.  Well, we've started a running group and we had our first group run today.  At first, I thought I would just let everyone do their own thing, but then I realized that wouldn't work.  I was a little bummed because I wanted to do a long run.  I thought, I would just stay later and do my run afterwards.  Then I decided to run with one of the members who has been working out some.  We did a slow 5K and had to stop a few times, but her tenacity was amazing!  It also made me realize how far I've come!!!

After we got back and met up with the group, I led the Couch to 5K Week 1 Day 1 workout with the group.  There were 9 people total and most of them are extremely out of shape and overweight!  It was so amazing to see how hard they worked and how excited they were just to be out there!!!  It really put my thoughts back into perspective and was so motivating!!!  I can't wait for Monday to do it again with them.  

We're going to be doing it twice a week (Monday and Wednesdays).  Monday's are my rest day, so I'll use it as an easy run, but I'm probably going to start running in the Mornings so that I can still get my run in!  Do any of you run on back to back days...I'm trying to figure out how to rework my plan if the group starts running in the mornings!

2010-04-28 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2824261

User image

Expert
C-bus
crisi13 - 2010-04-28 8:18 PM I had an amazing afternoon and thought I would share!  My husband and I have been working to get some of our friends into working out.  Well, we've started a running group and we had our first group run today.  At first, I thought I would just let everyone do their own thing, but then I realized that wouldn't work.  I was a little bummed because I wanted to do a long run.  I thought, I would just stay later and do my run afterwards.  Then I decided to run with one of the members who has been working out some.  We did a slow 5K and had to stop a few times, but her tenacity was amazing!  It also made me realize how far I've come!!!

After we got back and met up with the group, I led the Couch to 5K Week 1 Day 1 workout with the group.  There were 9 people total and most of them are extremely out of shape and overweight!  It was so amazing to see how hard they worked and how excited they were just to be out there!!!  It really put my thoughts back into perspective and was so motivating!!!  I can't wait for Monday to do it again with them.  

We're going to be doing it twice a week (Monday and Wednesdays).  Monday's are my rest day, so I'll use it as an easy run, but I'm probably going to start running in the Mornings so that I can still get my run in!  Do any of you run on back to back days...I'm trying to figure out how to rework my plan if the group starts running in the mornings!

Wow!  Look at you, fearless leader!  Congratulations on your progress and also on being a mentor to others!  That is what makes it all worthwhile, IMHO. 

I'm not a professional, but I would think you could run on back-to-back days as long as they weren't long or intense runs.  On marathon and 1/2 marathon plans I have been on in the past, I had to run 2-3 days straight with varying intensities.  Could you bike with a light transition run one day then long run the next?  Just a thought...  again, I am NOT a professional...

Edited by sungirl919 2010-04-28 8:51 PM
2010-04-29 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Hey team, I'm just checking in.  I hope all your training and nutrition is kicking butt. 

I've broken through my floor of 232 lbs and have now weighed in at 229 on a few occasions this week.  I feel like all the training in the world is good for me, but to see weight loss I have to change how I eat.  And now that I have done that I'm finally seeing results.  According to Fit Day I've been averaging 2,199 calories a day.  I've completely cut out soda and have drastically reduced my beer intake.  I have a lot more energy and am starting to see the difference in my body. 

Thanks to Brian and everyone in this group for really jump starting me taking this seriously. 

Hope you all are having a great day.

2010-04-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2825290

User image

Expert
Raleigh
n.k - 2010-04-29 9:55 AM Hey team, I'm just checking in.  I hope all your training and nutrition is kicking butt. 

I've broken through my floor of 232 lbs and have now weighed in at 229 on a few occasions this week.  I feel like all the training in the world is good for me, but to see weight loss I have to change how I eat.  And now that I have done that I'm finally seeing results.  According to Fit Day I've been averaging 2,199 calories a day.  I've completely cut out soda and have drastically reduced my beer intake.  I have a lot more energy and am starting to see the difference in my body. 

Thanks to Brian and everyone in this group for really jump starting me taking this seriously. 

Congrats! I'd starve to death on 2200 calories a day.
2010-04-29 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
n.k - 2010-04-29 10:55 AM Hey team, I'm just checking in.  I hope all your training and nutrition is kicking butt. 

Hurray!  Slowly but surely, weight loss does happen (and will continue).  Just remember not to give up hope if the numbers go in the direction you don't want--just stick to it!  Remember: you're burning tons of calories but also gaining muscle AND muscle weighs more than fat. 

Kicking the pop (or soda) habit is one of the hardest things I have ever done-congratulations on doing it!  I wish you continued success, my friend!
2010-04-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2824261

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
crisi13

get some of our friends into working out

That is really cool, you should be proud of helping others to be fit.  Good luck with it.
2010-04-29 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2824245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
crisi13

I use a Terry Butterfly which I LOVE, but I think it's a woman's specific saddle... 

I see a bunch for chicks.  Still trying to figure out how I can tell if one is right by looking at it online.  I will probably go to my LBS and see what they have.
2010-04-29 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
n.k - 2010-04-29 10:55 AM Hey team, I'm just checking in.  I hope all your training and nutrition is kicking butt. 

Great Job!!!!  Giving up Soda is one of the hardest things you'll do!!

I'm eating almost as much as you...my daily goal is 2000.   Just make sure you're eating enough to maintain your training!!

Edited by crisi13 2010-04-29 2:23 PM

2010-04-29 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Just an FYI-  don't forget to go out with ID when you run or bike.  I just purchased (and received) my RoadID today.  I am NOT affiliated with this company, I just thought it was a good idea.  As I said before, I'm a little paranoid about biking with the cars, but this gives me just a little peace of mind and more confidence. 

For something cheaper, a fellow tri friend of mine went to the pet store and engraved her contact info on an actual dog tag for about $6... 

Just want to keep everyone safe and sound!

Happy training everyone!

2010-04-30 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Here's my totals for April.  I just started ramping up my training this month and still don't have a schedule completely figured out.  Also, my bike  and swim numbers are off.  I had swim lessons on Tuesday and Thursdays nights so I just did SPIN class instead of bike riding.  The times are right, but there was no miles/meters for Bike and Swim on those nights!  

April's totals:
Bike:8h 15m  - 23 Mi
Run:9h 56m 38s  - 44.26 Mi
Swim:6h 55m 41s  - 2599.33 M
Strength:1h 10m
Yoga:2h 00m

Goals for May - More miles on the bike and lots more strength training!!!!  Also I want to get my schedule hammered out this weekend so that I know exactly what I need to do!   How did everyone else do?
2010-05-01 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Just checking in.  I have not done much this week.  I had a sprint on Sunday that went well.  On monday our two-year old got Pink-eye, ear infection, sinus infection and had a fever all at the same time so we spent most nights this week tag-teaming watching him.  I did a short swim Wednesday and hope to get out on my bike for the first time today.  Up until now I have done all biking indoors on stationary bikes.  I just finish setting it up for tri last night.  I am excited about taking it out for a spin and fine tuning it.  My next tri is in two weeks and the bike is outdoors so I need to get it set up right.  I hope all is well with everyone.  By the way I took the plunge and became a gold member for 6 months.  I am filling out the questionaire right now. 
Take Care Everyone
Tom

2010-05-01 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
By the way here are my april totals.  lots of work to do.
April's totals:
Bike:2h 03m  - 33 Mi
Run:3h 39m 19s  - 20.34 Mi
Swim:9h 02m 50s  - 16550 Yd
2010-05-01 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Hey team, I stayed very consistent this month only have three days the entire month were I didn't do something active.   Here are my totals (the bike milage is inflated because I probably did 2-3 spin classes at the gym in place of actually bike riding when the weather conditions were bad... so I just used the milage off the computer, which isn't really accurate.):

April's totals:
Bike:12h 35m  - 199.11 Mi
Run:6h 47m 26s  - 38.39 Mi
Swim:6h 00m  - 14550 M
Strength:2h 05m

By far the most consistently active I have ever been in my life. 

2010-05-01 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2830114

User image

Expert
C-bus
Good job in April everyone!  I'm recovering from the half-marathon and will type more when my stomach (and the kids) settles down a little. 

Go team!
2010-05-01 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2830286

User image

Expert
C-bus
1st race of the season-done!  I felt really good today and was eager to go.  We had thunderstorms just before the race, but it dried out as we drove down to race, then it poured when we crossed the finish line...  so, weather was perfect for me. 

Unfortunately, i could not say the same for my better half.  He was having a tough time of it, so we slowed down and even walked for a bit.  He wanted me to continue on and run my pace, but he supported me through the full marathon a few years ago-it was payback time-and I was happy to do it. 

We did not meet our 2 hour goal, for reasons listed above, but that's ok.  My question for all of you experts is... after the race, my stomach was in knots for half of the day...  I had sips of water here and there along the course (pounded it all day yesterday).  The only thing I can think of is I didn't have enough liquids during. What's your opinion?  Anyone else suffer from this?  BTW-heart rate, breathing was excellent throughout.  I actually felt great (until the end).

Hope you're having a productive weekend!

oh-and here are April's totals:  i need more on-the-REAL-bike time in May
Bike:5h 30m  - 15.42 Mi
Run:9h 39m 35s  - 64.3 Mi
Swim:2h 46m 03s  - 7000 M
Strength:3h 15m

Edited by sungirl919 2010-05-01 9:09 PM
2010-05-02 9:47 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC

So unfortunately, I was not able to race on Saturday.  I made the terrible decision to go and play volleyball on Thursday night, which resulted in a fractured thumb and wearing a splint.  Really bummed considering the amount of training.  I go to the doctor tomorrow to find out the treatment course of action for the fractures.  Originally they told me it was just sprained.  Hope everyone else has been able to stay injury free! 

2010-05-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2831208

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
stiga00 - 2010-05-02 7:47 AM

So unfortunately, I was not able to race on Saturday.  I made the terrible decision to go and play volleyball on Thursday night, which resulted in a fractured thumb and wearing a splint.  Really bummed considering the amount of training.  I go to the doctor tomorrow to find out the treatment course of action for the fractures.  Originally they told me it was just sprained.  Hope everyone else has been able to stay injury free! 

Oh, that really sucks.  I'm really sorry for you.  Hopefully you'll mend quickly and be racing soon.
2010-05-04 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2831208

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
stiga00 - 2010-05-02 10:47 AM

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate injury.  Hope you heal quick and get back out there. 

I've been dealing with a sore knee that has prevented me from running and biking.  At times it feels like someone is sticking a knife directly behind my knee-cap.  I've got a phone message into my doctor's office, but have yet to receive a call back as to when they can get me in for an appointment.  I've had an MRI done on this knee several years ago, but they didn't find anything.  I did some therapy and it helped, but still aches from time to time.  The last couple days, I've actually been walking with a slight limp.

Hope everyone else is going good with their training.

2010-05-04 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
I noticed that most everyone else posted April's totals, so here are mine:

April's totals:
Bike:1h 55m  - 32.62 Mi
Run:2h 25m 37s  - 12.8 Mi
Martial Arts - Taekwondo:3h 30m

Most definitely lacking in volume, but I do have time before my first race in August. 

I've been MIA for the past week or so.  Last week was just flat busy.  I coach my son's little league baseball team and we had 4 games in 5 days and a total of 5 in 8 days.  Fortunately, we have the week off and don't play again until Saturday. 
2010-05-04 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
April's totals:
Bike:12h 16m 17s  - 218.31 Mi
Run:9h 52m 05s  - 64.27 Mi
Swim:8h 08m 04s  - 19630.18 Yd
2010-05-06 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Morning team, I'm back!   I was able to check in a few times on Vaca, but can't post a reply on my BB.  I wanted to address a few items:

Justin, I just purchased a Fizik Arione Tri 2 saddle.  So far so good.  Fizik's can get crazy expensive, I went lower line and purchased on Ebay and spent less than $100.

Chrissy, your running group is AWESOME!  These people will be thanking you in a few weeks when they are running a 5K on their own and shopping for new clothes! 

Noel, Nice job on the weightloss.  Breaking through pleateaus is really tough, but now that you've done it once, you will know what to expect next time.

Giancarlo, sorry to hear about your race, I hoppe you are feeling better.  Make sure to take care of your injury now so you can heal up for the next one.

My vacation was awesome, my son had a blast at Disney.   I was able to work out 6 out of 7 days and put in over 28 miles of running, I was trying to balance out the extra calories I was taking in with the constant eating out,  however I seem to have over did it.  I have a history of Patellar Tendonitis and it flared up the past few days.  I am going to rest it the next few days and hope the swelling goes down.  I have my 1st tri in 2 weeks and do not want to miss that race.   With all that running, it looks like I only put on 4lbs during the trip.  I was preparing myself for 7-9, so I can work with 4.  I didn't go overboard with the eating, I tried to make the best choices available, however I made my triumphant return to Beer (a few corona lights by the pool) and shared a few Ice Creams with my son.  Now that I'm back home, that all goes away.

Here is how my April wound up... 
April's totals:
Bike:6h 28m 38s  - 98.52 Mi
Run:9h 53m 22s  - 74.06 Mi
Swim:5h 56m 44s  - 12250 Yd
Strength:1h 45m

I am starting to get nervous about my Bike training, it is really lagging. 

What is going on this weekend, is anyone racing? 

-Brian
2010-05-06 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm doing a 5K in Nags Head on Saturday morning.  It should be lots of fun...one of the girls from our running group is goingt to do it, so I'm going to try to PR then go back and help her the rest of the way in!  The rest of the day will be beach, beer and free buffet...my three favorite B's!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27