BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-05-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2879359

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-05-24 6:47 PM

Anthony, I just read your bottom of page 2 comment and yes I'm a hockey player.  I love it, but a nerve problem in my forearm may be ending my career.  Too many scars and breaks to mention!

I haven't played in so long, but I still get the urge once in a while. Hockey really is a blast to play.

If you do Timberman, definitely let me know.  We'll have to meet in person.  I'm up there every weekend and I ride parts of that bike course a lot.  I agree with the location - it's heaven on earth in my humble opinion.

Timberman is a terrific race, and definitely the best "destination" race in the northeast. I will most likely do it again, but maybe not this year since I would like to shoot for an HIM PR this year. The run is pretty flat, but as you know, the bike course is not exactly conducive to a fast bike split

Anthony

2010-05-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2879715

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-05-24 10:10 PM
wbayek - 2010-05-24 10:53 AM How was everyone's weekend?  I had an incredible ride this weekend, maybe my best ever.  I went 45 miles and averaged 19.6 for the final 25 miles, which is crazy fast for me.  I guess the training is working!  Now if only my running would get going...

And I took Sunday off as my rest day, so I'm following protocol!

That was a great ride you had. Did you feel like you were in some sort of special "zone" where your bike somehow just felt fast? I get that sometimes, but not as often as I would like. Your running looks very good to me, so I think your run training is working as well.

Anthony

I definitely felt in the zone riding Sat.  It really didn't feel hard at all, just pumping away and the bike was flying.  I'm going back to hitting more hills today.

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks away from my first sprint of the year and I need to get in some swimming!
2010-05-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2879608

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-05-24 9:22 PM Hey Gang!  Back from Houston, TX  work related, but was able to squeeze in a run while I was there.  Sat. got called back into work so Sunday was my training day.  I have my 1st Sprint in 34 days and counting.  Need to hit the hills and will ride and run the course at least one more time.

Well done getting working your training in  around a busy work schedule. Barely a month to go until your first race! Riding and running the course will really help with your preparation.

My friend did the Columbia Oly Tri this past Sunday. It was raining and he said the road course was slick and there were alot of crashes.  He had a good race, and backed off the down hills after witnessing a few.

I checked some of the race reports for that race, and was surprised at the number of crashes. I find my bike handles very well in the rain. You have to be more careful turning and stopping, but you still have plenty of control

Anthony
2010-05-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2774068

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Question for those that do the flying dismount:  I have practiced it many several times in my driveway but choose not to do it in the last sprint because I knocked my shoe off the pedal a couple of times in practice.  I figured whatever time I saved would be lost if I had to go back and pick up my shoe. 

When I am on top of my shoes coming to the dismount line I swing my right leg over the bike and stand on my left leg until the line.  Then I step off.  The first few times no problem.  Stepped off with a fast walking pace and then jogged with the bike.  However, several times as I stepped off with my left leg I guess I twisted too much and the shoe fell off.  Any suggestions other than go slower and make sure not to twist? 

I am using speed play pedals if that makes a difference.  Thanks!
2010-05-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2880398

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-05-25 10:46 AM
amschrod - 2010-05-24 10:10 PM
wbayek - 2010-05-24 10:53 AM How was everyone's weekend?  I had an incredible ride this weekend, maybe my best ever.  I went 45 miles and averaged 19.6 for the final 25 miles, which is crazy fast for me.  I guess the training is working!  Now if only my running would get going...

And I took Sunday off as my rest day, so I'm following protocol!

That was a great ride you had. Did you feel like you were in some sort of special "zone" where your bike somehow just felt fast? I get that sometimes, but not as often as I would like. Your running looks very good to me, so I think your run training is working as well.

Anthony

I definitely felt in the zone riding Sat.  It really didn't feel hard at all, just pumping away and the bike was flying.  I'm going back to hitting more hills today.

I know exactly what you mean. Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks away from my first sprint of the year and I need to get in some swimming!

Do you do any swimming in those pretty lakes up there in New Hampshire?
2010-05-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2881436

User image

Expert
I have to admit that I have never tried a flying dismount. I am not the most coordinated person in the world, so it makes me a little nervous. My first thought is that maybe the tension is adjusted a little too loose so that it is too easy to clip out. If you do tighten the tension do it a little at a time; you don't want to make it too hard to clip out!

Anthony

2010-05-26 8:43 AM

User image

NH
Calvin, I also haven't tried the flying dismount and as my focus is going to be long course for a while I'm not ready to try them.  I'm sure I'd kill myself!  So sorry, but no advice on that.

Anthony - yeah, I swim in a lake up here in NH.  I'm lucky to have a cottage on Lake Winnipesaukee, so once the water is warm enough (probably this weekend), I'll start doing OWS every weekend up there.  We're on an island and there's a nice cove from our cottage to the point.  It's about 200 yards, so I can swim back and forth without worrying about boat traffic and such.  It's awesome.

That's why if you do Timberman, I will definitely head over.  We're only a few miles from the start point.
2010-05-26 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2882692

User image

Expert
A cottage on an island in Lake Winnipesaukee? Man, I would love that! Timberman was one of my favorite swims, second only to Escape from Alcatraz. Clean, clear, and the views of the surrounding mountains are beautiful. I wish I had a place like that to OWS regularly.

Anthony
2010-05-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2884897

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-05-26 10:15 PM A cottage on an island in Lake Winnipesaukee? Man, I would love that! Timberman was one of my favorite swims, second only to Escape from Alcatraz. Clean, clear, and the views of the surrounding mountains are beautiful. I wish I had a place like that to OWS regularly.

Anthony
Yeah, we are insanely fortunate to have the place.  We're only up there on weekends, so at least I get to swim two days a week there.  I'll take some pictures and post them over the weekend if possible - just so everyone can be jealous!
2010-05-27 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2884897

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Cottages, islands and mountains, oh my!!
2010-05-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2887395

User image

Expert
Hey everyone, how's it going? Since this weekend is the unofficial start of Summer, and since I did an easy 2 mile run during lunch the other day and the temp was up to 95 degrees, it got me thinking about training and racing in the heat.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a bad habit of not drinking enough on the bike when it is hot out. I think it may be because of that breeze from moving fast (hopefully!) that I don't feel the heat so much. I mentioned before that I set my Garmin to beep every 20 minutes to remind me to drink a little. In a race on a hot day, you do not want to get off the bike having not drunk enough because you can't catch up on your hydration the run. I also find that something with a little flavor goes down a little easier, so if I want something without calories I use NUUN.

At races I sometimes have a little trouble with the heat during the run. I normally run early in the day when it is cooler, but by the time you get to the run at a race it is later in the day, and heat can become an issue. I always take 2 cups of water at each aid station. I drink one, and pour one over my head. I may look like a drowned rat, but it feels so good! At the local 10K I have in a few weeks, people stand on the side of the roads with hoses. When it is hot out, it is heaven to run through a hose.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-05-28 2:52 PM

2010-05-28 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2888598

User image

Expert
I got an email from all3sports.com with a coupon code for 20% off orders made this weekend so I wanted to share it with everyone. All3sports is a pretty good online store. I got my bike from them, and I usually use either them or trisports.com. Unfortunately, the coupon doesn't apply to some cool stuff like bikes, zipp wheels, or Garmin. Here's the code: NVR4GET

Anthony
2010-05-29 8:20 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
Have a great holiday weekend.  I had a good run this morning, hope to get on the bike tomorrow.  June first will be the day that I really commit to getting back into shape and living a healthier lifestyle.  I havent made my plan yet but will do some research and find something that fits my schedule.  I did sign up for the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on oct 24th so that is a huge motivator- only 5 months to get ready- scary thought.

Keep up all the good work!
Paula
2010-05-29 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2889948

User image

NH
Roadtoad22 - 2010-05-29 9:20 AM Have a great holiday weekend.  I had a good run this morning, hope to get on the bike tomorrow.  June first will be the day that I really commit to getting back into shape and living a healthier lifestyle.  I havent made my plan yet but will do some research and find something that fits my schedule.  I did sign up for the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on oct 24th so that is a huge motivator- only 5 months to get ready- scary thought.

Paula
Sounds like you're getting a good head start on the June 1st start date!  Great job, and remember to build it slowly as we're talking about a lifestyle change and not just one plan with an end date.  Can't wait to follow your path to that mini marathon.
2010-05-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2890006

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hi guys.  My wife invited me to run a 5k last minute.  She and her friends had other things planned but were going to spectate and support their friends.  Here's my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=210448

You'll have to copy and paste....sorry, haven't figured out how to set up a link.

Edited by DannyK 2010-05-31 9:15 AM
2010-05-31 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Anthony, I just read your post about the heat.  Maybe I should have checked the forum board before I ran this afternoon.  I cut the lawn and then decided to do a run...I wasn't hydrated to start off with so making a 3mi run in the heat wasn't the best idea.  To make matter worse the route I ran did not have much shade and I added a few hills.  I finished the run at a 10 min. pace.

I should have waited until later this evening or should have gone out first thing this am.  

Where can you buy NUUN?? the LBS maybe?? 

2010-06-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2891877

User image

NH
DannyK - 2010-05-31 10:14 AM Hi guys.  My wife invited me to run a 5k last minute.  She and her friends had other things planned but were going to spectate and support their friends.  Here's my race report.

You'll have to copy and paste....sorry, haven't figured out how to set up a link.

Wow, great time, especially for a last second race.  Great top keep superman behind you!  I just saw your logs and you did a 67 mile ride the day before this race and a 1:50 run two days before.  You're an animal!

Are you planning any more races before your tri in Sept?

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Edited by wbayek 2010-06-01 11:15 AM
2010-06-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2889948

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-05-29 9:20 AM Have a great holiday weekend.  I had a good run this morning, hope to get on the bike tomorrow.  June first will be the day that I really commit to getting back into shape and living a healthier lifestyle.  I havent made my plan yet but will do some research and find something that fits my schedule.  I did sign up for the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on oct 24th so that is a huge motivator- only 5 months to get ready- scary thought.

Paula

5 months is plenty of time, especially if you stick to a good plan. That looks like a fun race. Are you thinking of doing any shorter races over the Summer?
2010-06-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2891877

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-05-31 10:14 AM Hi guys.  My wife invited me to run a 5k last minute.  She and her friends had other things planned but were going to spectate and support their friends.  Here's my race report.

That's a very fast 5K, especially since it was last minute and you had done a lot of training in the days before the race. Great job!!

I was also wondering if you have any other races in mind for the Summer.

Edited by amschrod 2010-06-01 2:08 PM
2010-06-01 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2892636

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-05-31 8:16 PM Anthony, I just read your post about the heat.  Maybe I should have checked the forum board before I ran this afternoon.  I cut the lawn and then decided to do a run...I wasn't hydrated to start off with so making a 3mi run in the heat wasn't the best idea.  To make matter worse the route I ran did not have much shade and I added a few hills.  I finished the run at a 10 min. pace.

I should have waited until later this evening or should have gone out first thing this am.

I think it's good that you got out in the midday heat and ran, and hills are always good for you.. It helps to get heat acclimated.

Where can you buy NUUN?? the LBS maybe?? 

I've only bought it online, but I bet a good LBS would have it. Since there are no calories, I like it for shorter, harder efforts.

Edited by amschrod 2010-06-01 2:24 PM
2010-06-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2885366

User image

Oklahoma
wbayek - 2010-05-27 8:13 AM
amschrod - 2010-05-26 10:15 PM A cottage on an island in Lake Winnipesaukee? Man, I would love that! Timberman was one of my favorite swims, second only to Escape from Alcatraz. Clean, clear, and the views of the surrounding mountains are beautiful. I wish I had a place like that to OWS regularly.

Anthony
Yeah, we are insanely fortunate to have the place. We're only up there on weekends, so at least I get to swim two days a week there. I'll take some pictures and post them over the weekend if possible - just so everyone can be jealous!

You don't need to post pictures for us to be jealous - we already are!

2010-06-01 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2893904

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Life's been pretty tough lately so I've had to pound the distance on the weekend.  One thing I learned when I trained for 26.2 was to never skip your long workout.   I don't have any other races planned right now aside from Portage Lakes since there is so much chaos here, work schedule, family drama, etc.....If some race comes up locally there's a chance I'll do it, but right now I can't really travel or take any time off of work.  I'm currently working 6 days and working 3rd shift makes it really tough.  Thanks for all your encouragement  on the weekend workout and last minute 5k.  Makes it even more fun.  Maybe things will slow down next year and I can race more.  Right now I'm just trying to stay focused on getting the training in and having one big race to shoot for.
2010-06-01 7:09 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Great 5k race!!  Now I am more inspired.
  I sat down and really looked at my nutrition and exercises and devised a plan that I hope will work for me.  I have something planned everyday even if its small, just gotta get something in.  I set up a plan for eating too, only allowing for a few beers, sodas, lunches out etc.. per month. It doesnt put things so strict that I will not follow it but sets up some boundries so I dont go overboard.  Day one went well!  we are crazy busy at work so I dont have time to think about the sweets sitting on the desk etc..
  I hope to do a few 5/10 k races and maybe one tri in sept if I can get some time on the bike and in the water.  If only it was safe to ride my bike on my road in the dark.  Its ok to run but wouldnt feel comfortable riding fast when I cant see the potholes etc.. 
Now if we can just get the baby to sleep through the night, that would really help!
Paula
2010-06-01 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2895381

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Paula:

Good plan!  Have you given any thought to buying an indoor bike trainer? I won't ride in the dark either.  It's next on my list of things to buy.  The Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer looks pretty good.  I know it's a big investment but I'm weighing all the options it would allow by having it.  Having a young family really makes it tough.  But, if you can turn unproductive hours into calorie burning and endurance training hours, you can still have the beers, and chocolate, and pie, and ice cream....Anyway, that's what we do...we out-exercise the problem....we eat alot of junk, but it's ok....we put in alot of hours in sweat!
2010-06-01 7:32 PM

User image

NH
That's a great plan Paula.  Consistency trumps everything.  Don't embark on something if you can't keep it up.  I'm with you on the eating thing.  Don't deny yourself, and don't go on a "diet".  If you can't do it every day from here on out, I wouldn't recommend it.  Take small steps.  When I eat a nice healthy dinner and then have ice cream later on, instead of beating myself up for the ice cream, I take the approach that it's better than eating a bad dinner AND having ice cream.

Just keep taking steps.  Everything you do is one step more than doing nothing.  Now get moving and get us some race reports!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24