BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-05-24 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi Everyone,

Sorry about not responding in a few days, but I was off doing a running relay race (I think I forgot to mention that, sorry!).  The race was called the Ragnar Relay - New England.  It was a running race from the bottom of Connecticut (branford, CT) to Gillette Stadium (where the Patriots Play) in Foxboro, MA.  The race was a total of just under 192 miles and was continuous so my 12 person team started at 10:30am on Friday and we finished at around 5:30pm on Saturday.  It was a really neat experience.  Pretty much the only sleep I got was for about 2 hours on the floor of a high school gym using one of my shirts and a pair of shorts as a pillow.  I did a total of just under 22 miles in my 3 runs (each runner does 3 legs).  It was a long 2 days, but it was a lot of fun.  As you can imagine, I've been a little tired over the last few days and I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep.

2010-05-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2872684

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-05-20 10:47 PM OMG I thought with all the swimming I've been doing that I was in pretty good shape, all my swimming has been done in a 25 yard pool, but I went out a swam in a lake yesterday that was 200 yards across, man I'm glad I did this..... not to discourage anyone but OWS is a lot different than the pool swim....there is no wall to kick off of lol..... if there is a lake or somewhere you could swim in open water I recommended it for all newbies....Hope everyone is enjoying there training!!!

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

Yes, your first OWS can certainly be an eye opener huh Smile.  There's no question that OWS is a lot different than being in a 25 yard pool.  However, it just takes some time to get used to.  Your body does get used to that turn at 25 yards each time.  Hopefully you can get a few more in before your race as it will definitely help.
2010-05-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2875686

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-22 4:14 PM Hey Colin, I was swimming a couple days ago and came across a girl who was using a sort of hour glass shaped float that she was using specifically for what you are talking about here.  The shape allows it to fit between your thighs somewhat comfortably without have to over exert to keep it in place.

Also, today I found my "easy" side.  I am still trying to get the breathing down on both sides but, the left is definately easier!  700m time was 17:44 today!!  And that is stopping to turn around at each end of the pool and a few stops to catch my breath!  Unfortunately I have not yet be able to find my "wind" in other words, as I exert myself I can not maintain breathing every third stroke.  I have to resort to every other stroke.  I am not going to use the snorkle till after the tri but, I recently purchased an air restricter that attaches to it, to work on getting more lung power. The really cool thing is I am now breathing with some consistancy!!

Oh yeah, one more week till my tri and I am totally getting nervous about it!!  LOL

Timmy!!

Good stuff Timmy!  It sounds like you're making some great improvements, which is awesome.  The device you saw the girl swimming with is a called a pull buoy.  Its a great little tool that is used mainly to help you work on your upper body form.  I have my swimming uses these devices on a regular basis.  However, the sailboat drill is meant to be done with a kick board as it works a little different.

As for your breathing in the race, stick with what you feel comfortable with.  You need to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible in the water.  If you do that, you'll be fine.

The number one piece of advice going into your tri is to be confident.  Think about about all the hard training you have done and how much it is going to pay off on race day.  Its fine to be nervous and I consider it a good thing because it means your mind/body are preparing for the event.  Just remember to relax and have fun out there!

If for some reason we don't hear from you before then, good luck!  Please let us know how it goes.
2010-05-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2876330

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
jedwards001 - 2010-05-23 9:36 AM Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for posting and to Colin for all the good advice! 

Weekly update:
Another busy week but we managed to squeeze in some training.

Running: only one time this week
Swimming: two times
Biking: three times

Chloe wants me to add that she had volleyball and PE too!

Anyway, definitely better than the last few weeks but with lots of room for improvement.  Hope everyone has a great week this week.

Joni (and Chloe)

Hey Joni and Chloe,

Great job!  It may not have been all the training you wanted to get in, but its a lot better than nothing.  Just keep doing your best and I really hope you can find the time to get the training in as it will really help you on race day.  Nonetheless, stay positive and keep working towards that goal Smile
2010-05-24 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2876831

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-23 6:29 PM  Colin... my wetsuit is in and my pool is ready... I am planning on doing a backyard Tri at my house on Tuesday (I would do it tomorrow but, I am working till 2:30am tonight) and I am wondering, with the real tri coming up on Sat would this be a bad idea??  I have figured that I could swim in my pool transition in my garage then bike and run in the sub division ending up back at my house.  My concern is the recovery for Saturday.  Or would you recomend keeping the events them separate till the real Tri??

Thanks!

Timmy!!!  

Great question Tim!  How far we you planning to go tomorrow?  As long as you're planning to do some very short distances, I think its a great idea.  This will be a great exercise to help prepare your body for the transitions as it does take some getting used to.  As long as you it short, go for it!  Let me know how it goes.
2010-05-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2876929

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
drew2219 - 2010-05-23 7:43 PM Well I've recovered quite well from the surgery, and actually sneaked a leisure 10 mi bike ride in on a path near my house. My surgeon doesn't want me riding quite yet, but I was honestly going insane not being able to exercise. It felt GREAT getting out and riding again, and I can't wait to get back into full swing.

It's been nice reading about everyones workouts, I think I've been vicariously living through them lol.

Also, today I volunteered at a local tri. I think someone talked about this a week or so ago, and it was a blast! I strongly recommend doing it if you have the time. It was nice how many people thanked me for helping out. Also, what's really cool is the company, Buttar, has a race for free program, so I earned $10/hr credit towards a future race, which is awesome.

Anyhow, thats all for now. I'm still waiting for my trainer to come in, and then I'll really start to crank out some workouts.

Right on Andrew!  I'm glad the rehab is still going well!  Be careful on that bike, but I don't blame you for heading out for a ride.  As long as you take it slow and are very careful, I'm not against it.

Very commendable for volunteering at the tri.  I'm sure it was a little tough as I'm sure you would have liked to competed yourself, but what are you gonna do.

Hang in there bro!

2010-05-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2875412

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-05-22 9:35 AM Weekly update:

Swimming:  Missed a swim workout this week, which I hate, but the one I did do went very well.  I'm still using the TI technique/drills, but they are getting faster.  I'm timing myself over progressively longer distances to improve stamina and to track my progress.

Biking:  Used the indoor trainer a few times last week.  It wasn't as boring as I thought, and it is a good way for me to get in another bike ride as I can hop on it for a short workout between clients.  My time trial outdoors did not go as well as I would have liked, though, so I just need to keep riding and work on bike endurance.

Running:  Still going well.  I am amazed at how far I can run since just six months ago I wasn't sure I could run for even one mile - this morning I'll go almost 8. 

I'm feeling less motivated the past week or so, and I think that might be affecting the quality of my workouts.  I imagine its just because I'm tired.  Some weeks, its all about just getting the workouts in! 

Awesome job Sarah!

Don't worried about the missed workout at all.  These things happen.  Also, no worries about the disappointing time trial.  You're just going to see the benefits from your hard work that much faster if you keep this up!

Unfortunately your motivation can vary quite a bit some times.  I'm pretty sure this is unavailable.  However, I look at times like this at opportunities to really define myself.  This is a chance to push yourself through the tough times.  Sometimes it helps me to just think about how lucky I am to be able to do what I'm doing.  We're very blessed to be healthy enough to do all this exercising. 

Hopefully that helps a little.  I can assure you that you're doing awesome so keep it up!!! Smile
2010-05-24 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2877135

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-23 10:03 PM On Saturday my wife and I did a 38 mile ride.  It was the San Diego Century.  We did not ride the 100 miler definitely not ready for that.  It took a little over 3 hours.  Good hills.  Good ride

Congrats Chris.  That is great!  I feel like you're posting knew personal bests every week which is so fantastic!  No worries about the speed, the bottom line is you're out there, you're doing it, and it sounds like your having fun!

You keep this up and you will be doing the century rides!  Mark my words!!! 
2010-05-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2879002

User image

Hey Colin,

I was planning on practicing the whole thing... without pushing it the key point... however, if it does not give me time in your opinion to recover before Sat... I can make it shorter.  I was looking at 36 figure 8s in the pool (18x36) 4 laps around the subdivision, 3 mis flat run to finish it off while doing transitions in the garage.

I will not be pushing for a time or anything... just want to run through it...  also, I have a question about limiting cramps in the calves...  It appears my right calve starts aching during the bike and runs... any advice on what to eat or drink to help limit this, assuming it is not something more serious?

Along those same lines what do recommend for drinking leading up to the race , just before, and during the event.  I thought about gatorade but, a runner hear at work said just go with water.  Folks talk about  replenishing electrolytes and whatnot so, I would love to hear your thoughts on it?? 

Thanks again!

Timmy!!!!

Edited by ET1SW47 2010-05-24 4:06 PM
2010-05-24 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2879116

User image

Expert
MI
It looks like there are a few people here who will be doing their first tri this weekend?  Me too!  Here in southeast Michigan, this week's weather forecast calls for highs mostly in the mid-80's... except for race day which as of now is supposed to be mid-60s... low is 50 degrees, so I guess that's what it'll be in the morning... seems a bit cold for a tri??  (Of course, I didn't expect nice warm weather signing up for a May tri in Michigan, but you know!)

Anyway, just got back from Florida and got in a good amount of swimming, biking, and running while I was away!  I was with my dad and we stopped by Louisville and Orlando (area) on the way down, and Clearwater on the way back, and biked 25-30 miles in each of those places.  In Sarasota, I was able to swim 30-40 minutes twice in the ocean (not continuously), and also did my final long run of 12 miles before my half-marathon!  I am very happy to have gotten in everything I was planning for!
2010-05-24 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2879200

User image

Expert
MI
So I just swam with my wetsuit on for the first time (in a lake) and I'm so glad I did!!  (I was considering not before my race.)  I wore the clothes I plan on wearing during the triathlon underneath.  First of all, is it normal for water to seep into the wetsuit through the zipper?  (At least I think it was coming in through just the zipper and not other areas.)  After I took off the wetsuit my clothes were all wet.  Also, it seemed like it took me forever and a day to put on the wetsuit, and it seemed like a heck of a lot of effort!  lol.  And lastly, I will check out that transition video you linked again, but any other general tips you can think of that could speed up the process of taking off the wetsuit?  Getting the top half off I don't think will be the problem... I think the most time consuming will be getting the feet out, so any tricks you have to make it easier (both putting on and taking off!) would be great!!

2010-05-25 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
What does everyone think about training while sick?  I came down with a pretty wicked cold yesterday and am not feeling at all well today.  I don't want to miss any workouts, so I thought about just taking it easy but getting the time in the pool and on the bike.

Opinions?
2010-05-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2879116

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-24 5:03 PM Hey Colin,

I was planning on practicing the whole thing... without pushing it the key point... however, if it does not give me time in your opinion to recover before Sat... I can make it shorter.  I was looking at 36 figure 8s in the pool (18x36) 4 laps around the subdivision, 3 mis flat run to finish it off while doing transitions in the garage.

I will not be pushing for a time or anything... just want to run through it...  also, I have a question about limiting cramps in the calves...  It appears my right calve starts aching during the bike and runs... any advice on what to eat or drink to help limit this, assuming it is not something more serious?

Along those same lines what do recommend for drinking leading up to the race , just before, and during the event.  I thought about gatorade but, a runner hear at work said just go with water.  Folks talk about  replenishing electrolytes and whatnot so, I would love to hear your thoughts on it?? 

Thanks again!

Timmy!!!!

Hey Timmy,

I do not recommend doing the entire distance of the rest.  It is far too close to race day for this.  You definitely want to stick to going extremely slow, but you should be tapering at this point so there is no way you should be doing the full distance of your event only a few days away from it.  I would recommend maybe doing half of each distance and doing it very slowly.  This will be more than enough distance for you to practice transitions and to get used to your body used to transitioning from sport to sport.  Hopefully this will not create any soreness as you want to fresh for this weekend.

As for the calf cramping, are keeping yourself well hydrated?  I would recommend you focus on getting yourself hydrated this entire week.  Also, are you actively stretching before your training sessions?  It is very important that you are loosening up your muscles before your training.  If you make sure you hydrate yourself and actively stretch, this help with the problem.

Prior to the race, I recommend going with water.  However, I do recommend something with electrolytes like Gatorade in it during the race.  What have you been using during your training?  If you haven't been using an electrolyte drink during your training, don't do it during the race because you do not want to do anything new to your body on race day, as it could lead to trouble.  However, if you're planning to do a mini tri today, try using Gatorade during it.  If that works fine for you, give it a go a race day.

I hope that helps!  Let us know your results of your mini tri!

2010-05-25 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2879570

User image

Samantha,
I dont have any suggestions on getting out of a wet suit faster, but I just bough my first one so I have a question to add to yours.  Having never been in a wet suit, what the heck do guys wear underneath them? Just tri shorts?  My question shows just how green I am,but I'd rather ask than embarass myself. 
Also, unrelated but I did yoga for the first time yesterday based on Colin's suggestion.  Considering how much I work out, I am surprised at how much my hips, legs and butt hurt!
2010-05-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2880411

User image

hockeyhands - 2010-05-25 10:50 AM
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-24 5:03 PM Hey Colin,

Hey Timmy,

I do not recommend doing the entire distance of the rest.  It is far too close to race day for this.  You definitely want to stick to going extremely slow, but you should be tapering at this point so there is no way you should be doing the full distance of your event only a few days away from it.  I would recommend maybe doing half of each distance and doing it very slowly.  This will be more than enough distance for you to practice transitions and to get used to your body used to transitioning from sport to sport.  Hopefully this will not create any soreness as you want to fresh for this weekend.

As for the calf cramping, are keeping yourself well hydrated?  I would recommend you focus on getting yourself hydrated this entire week.  Also, are you actively stretching before your training sessions?  It is very important that you are loosening up your muscles before your training.  If you make sure you hydrate yourself and actively stretch, this help with the problem.

Prior to the race, I recommend going with water.  However, I do recommend something with electrolytes like Gatorade in it during the race.  What have you been using during your training?  If you haven't been using an electrolyte drink during your training, don't do it during the race because you do not want to do anything new to your body on race day, as it could lead to trouble.  However, if you're planning to do a mini tri today, try using Gatorade during it.  If that works fine for you, give it a go a race day.

I hope that helps!  Let us know your results of your mini tri!

OOPS!!

LOL  Sorry Colin.... I go your reply too late... Now for the first....

Tri-Annual Back Yard Tri Race Report!!

The only real distance I am not sure of is the swim.  But, here is the overall...

22min swim

20k bike ride

5k run/walk

total time with transitions  2:16: and change!!

WooHoo!!!

Starting off I got into the wetsuit for the 2nd time. I had a lot of positioning and I had to have help zipping up but, I believe it is a good fit for me.  I had a Gu Octane and a glass of water before I started.  Nothing to eat as I woke up late.  The garage was my transition area. I prepped some ice water in a bottle for my bike. Two towels, one for a base and the other to wipe the feet dry.

The Swim- Knowing the size of my pool I had calculated that 38 figure 8s in my pool would be pretty close to the  right distance.  Because I sometimes lose count of laps when I am focusing on technique I set out 12 cups at the end of the pool to turn over every lap (This is what I do with a gatorade bottle when I train at the gym pool).  The wetsuit felt good, the googles were good, the ear plugs are in... then I put on the Classic size C swim cap that came with the Tri for Joe packet.  Methinks a C is too small!!  LOL  But, I went with it.

The pool was much warmer than I expected and the wetsuit was fabulous from a floating assist stand point!!  While I had to work a litter harder to maintain a proper swimming techique, the added bouyancy of the suit made swimming much easier!

Things were going well, I was breathing good and swimming smooth on the stretches... then, Toby, my dog, in his excitement of cheering me on destroyed the cups I laid out.  Knowing that my 700m time in the pool is now around 17mins I went to a back up plan of swimming for 22min.

The transition went well, I took my time about 6 minutes from my calculations but, I was not rushing.  I got the wetsuit off pretty easily.  I left the googles and the cap in the sleeve as suggested. Went inside had another glass of water eventhough I had the bottle on the bike.  I am using a 5 gallon bucket to haul my transition stuff in and it works great as flipping it upside down made a great seat for drying the feet and getting the socks and shoes on.  I put on my bike jersey, my helmet and glasses and I was off....

The Bike....  Keeping Colin's advice in mind, rather than tackling the hills in the subdivision I stuck with the flats making about 12 laps.  When I started, I was thinking of taking the easy way out and only doing half but, as I rode I felt pretty good and stuck it out.  No calve cramps.

When I got off the bike I had to go to the bathroom.... felt like maybe I do not have the right seat for me.  I averaged 23km/hour.  Very easy pace.

The Run....After the bathroom was the run which I power walked the first 2 miles and intermittantly ran/walked the last one. Again... a very easy pace.  I did stop in the house for a glass of water every mile.  I also was getting a headache after the bike so I had some ibuprophen at the transition.  It was gone by the time I finished.

Bang!  I was done!!

I feel pretty good considering I covered the whole Tri...

BIG TIME CONFIDENCE BOOSTER!!!  Finishing will not be a problem so, now my goal is to get done in under 2 hours!

Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback.  I really think I would have given up on this, had it not been for this group!

Timmy!! Smile

Edited by ET1SW47 2010-05-25 12:15 PM
2010-05-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2879570

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-24 9:01 PM So I just swam with my wetsuit on for the first time (in a lake) and I'm so glad I did!!  (I was considering not before my race.)  I wore the clothes I plan on wearing during the triathlon underneath.  First of all, is it normal for water to seep into the wetsuit through the zipper?  (At least I think it was coming in through just the zipper and not other areas.)  After I took off the wetsuit my clothes were all wet.  Also, it seemed like it took me forever and a day to put on the wetsuit, and it seemed like a heck of a lot of effort!  lol.  And lastly, I will check out that transition video you linked again, but any other general tips you can think of that could speed up the process of taking off the wetsuit?  Getting the top half off I don't think will be the problem... I think the most time consuming will be getting the feet out, so any tricks you have to make it easier (both putting on and taking off!) would be great!!

Sounds like you had a great trip Samantha!  Very glad to see you got a lot of training in, that was terrific and you'll thank yourself on race day.

As for your wetsuit questions, yes, some water will fill into your wetsuit.  However, it sounds like a little too much is getting into yours.  Is your wetsuit nice and tight?  DO you have a lot of wrinkles in different areas?  These will create deposit spots for water, but it still shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.  Did you get the suit at a local store?  If so, I would recommend speaking to them about these issues.

As for getting the wetsuit off, practice.  However, the problem most people have when getting their wetsuit off is they are too gentle with it.  Your wetsuit is made of strong materials and can handle a little stretching so don't be worried about applying to little force when getting it off.  Here's a good video that makes it look really easy.  This one is pretty good as well.  Notice how he kicks the foot off by using his other foot?  That should really help you.

2010-05-25 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2880228

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-05-25 9:39 AM What does everyone think about training while sick?  I came down with a pretty wicked cold yesterday and am not feeling at all well today.  I don't want to miss any workouts, so I thought about just taking it easy but getting the time in the pool and on the bike.

Opinions?

Hey Sarah,

Another great question!  When you're sick, rest!!!  Your body is busy trying to kill off the illness and when you workout, you're taking away from its efforts to heal itself.  Try resting during the time you planned to train and hopefully you'll be feeling better quickly.  By working out, you're just braking down your system and it will take longer for the illness to go away.  I know it may be tough, but that is what I highly recommend.
2010-05-25 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2880777

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-05-25 12:35 PM Samantha,
I dont have any suggestions on getting out of a wet suit faster, but I just bough my first one so I have a question to add to yours.  Having never been in a wet suit, what the heck do guys wear underneath them? Just tri shorts?  My question shows just how green I am,but I'd rather ask than embarass myself. 
Also, unrelated but I did yoga for the first time yesterday based on Colin's suggestion.  Considering how much I work out, I am surprised at how much my hips, legs and butt hurt!

Hey Chad,

So you got your wetsuit???  If so, how does it fit?  As for your question, I asked the same thing when I first got mine.  I recommend just wearing some spandex shorts or something very tight.  Your don't want something that is going to get caught up and roll in your wetsuit.  I actually where a speedo underneath mine these days.  LOL, if 5 years ago you told me I would ever own/wear a Speedo even underneath something else, I definitely would have told you that you were crazy.  Nonetheless, they are very comfortable.
2010-05-25 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2880875

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-25 1:12 PM
hockeyhands - 2010-05-25 10:50 AM
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-24 5:03 PM
OOPS!!

LOL  Sorry Colin.... I go your reply too late... Now for the first....

Tri-Annual Back Yard Tri Race Report!!

The only real distance I am not sure of is the swim.  But, here is the overall...

22min swim

20k bike ride

5k run/walk

total time with transitions  2:16: and change!!

WooHoo!!!

Starting off I got into the wetsuit for the 2nd time. I had a lot of positioning and I had to have help zipping up but, I believe it is a good fit for me.  I had a Gu Octane and a glass of water before I started.  Nothing to eat as I woke up late.  The garage was my transition area. I prepped some ice water in a bottle for my bike. Two towels, one for a base and the other to wipe the feet dry.

The Swim- Knowing the size of my pool I had calculated that 38 figure 8s in my pool would be pretty close to the  right distance.  Because I sometimes lose count of laps when I am focusing on technique I set out 12 cups at the end of the pool to turn over every lap (This is what I do with a gatorade bottle when I train at the gym pool).  The wetsuit felt good, the googles were good, the ear plugs are in... then I put on the Classic size C swim cap that came with the Tri for Joe packet.  Methinks a C is too small!!  LOL  But, I went with it.

The pool was much warmer than I expected and the wetsuit was fabulous from a floating assist stand point!!  While I had to work a litter harder to maintain a proper swimming techique, the added bouyancy of the suit made swimming much easier!

Things were going well, I was breathing good and swimming smooth on the stretches... then, Toby, my dog, in his excitement of cheering me on destroyed the cups I laid out.  Knowing that my 700m time in the pool is now around 17mins I went to a back up plan of swimming for 22min.

The transition went well, I took my time about 6 minutes from my calculations but, I was not rushing.  I got the wetsuit off pretty easily.  I left the googles and the cap in the sleeve as suggested. Went inside had another glass of water eventhough I had the bottle on the bike.  I am using a 5 gallon bucket to haul my transition stuff in and it works great as flipping it upside down made a great seat for drying the feet and getting the socks and shoes on.  I put on my bike jersey, my helmet and glasses and I was off....

The Bike....  Keeping Colin's advice in mind, rather than tackling the hills in the subdivision I stuck with the flats making about 12 laps.  When I started, I was thinking of taking the easy way out and only doing half but, as I rode I felt pretty good and stuck it out.  No calve cramps.

When I got off the bike I had to go to the bathroom.... felt like maybe I do not have the right seat for me.  I averaged 23km/hour.  Very easy pace.

The Run....After the bathroom was the run which I power walked the first 2 miles and intermittantly ran/walked the last one. Again... a very easy pace.  I did stop in the house for a glass of water every mile.  I also was getting a headache after the bike so I had some ibuprophen at the transition.  It was gone by the time I finished.

Bang!  I was done!!

I feel pretty good considering I covered the whole Tri...

BIG TIME CONFIDENCE BOOSTER!!!  Finishing will not be a problem so, now my goal is to get done in under 2 hours!

Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback.  I really think I would have given up on this, had it not been for this group!

Timmy!! Smile

LOL, no problem Timmy and I'm sorry I did not respond in time.  Nonetheless, congratulations!   It sounds like you did a great job!!!  From your description, it sounds like you did an awesome job of not pushing too hard.  That is what I was really concerned about and I'm hoping you won't be sore from this workout.  VERY glad to hear this helped you're confidence and they is a HUGE factor come race day.  Now you now you can do it and you're gonna be great this weekend Smile!

Let me know how you're feeling tomorrow, but this was a great effort!  Once again, congrats Timmy!
2010-05-25 5:05 PM

User image

Thanks Colin,

There is something that happened I forgot to mention during the bike.  My handsstarted going numb about half way through it.  I have straight handlebars with ergo pads and a couple of hand extentions off the ends of the bars.  What bothered me was that changing hand positions did not help as much as I thought it would. 

I am wondering if I am putting to much weight on my hands?  So my question is that I figure if I raise my handle bars it would move my center of gravity back and perhaps I would not be putting so much weight on my hands?

If you think I am on the right track with this or have any other suggestions, that would be great! 

Timmy!!!!
2010-05-25 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2881054

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-05-25 2:13 PM
michgirlsk - 2010-05-24 9:01 PM So I just swam with my wetsuit on for the first time (in a lake) and I'm so glad I did!!  (I was considering not before my race.)  I wore the clothes I plan on wearing during the triathlon underneath.  First of all, is it normal for water to seep into the wetsuit through the zipper?  (At least I think it was coming in through just the zipper and not other areas.)  After I took off the wetsuit my clothes were all wet.  Also, it seemed like it took me forever and a day to put on the wetsuit, and it seemed like a heck of a lot of effort!  lol.  And lastly, I will check out that transition video you linked again, but any other general tips you can think of that could speed up the process of taking off the wetsuit?  Getting the top half off I don't think will be the problem... I think the most time consuming will be getting the feet out, so any tricks you have to make it easier (both putting on and taking off!) would be great!!

Sounds like you had a great trip Samantha!  Very glad to see you got a lot of training in, that was terrific and you'll thank yourself on race day.

As for your wetsuit questions, yes, some water will fill into your wetsuit.  However, it sounds like a little too much is getting into yours.  Is your wetsuit nice and tight?  DO you have a lot of wrinkles in different areas?  These will create deposit spots for water, but it still shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.  Did you get the suit at a local store?  If so, I would recommend speaking to them about these issues.

As for getting the wetsuit off, practice.  However, the problem most people have when getting their wetsuit off is they are too gentle with it.  Your wetsuit is made of strong materials and can handle a little stretching so don't be worried about applying to little force when getting it off.  Here's a good video that makes it look really easy.  This one is pretty good as well.  Notice how he kicks the foot off by using his other foot?  That should really help you.

Well, because of the difficulty I was having putting on the wetsuit, I was actually thinking I had bought a wetsuit that was too small.  The neck area also seemed tight to me in the beginning, but I think that's gotten better.  Now that I think about it, it did feel like there was slightly extra room in the leg area (like knees down) because occasionally when I stood up I could feel water gushing around there.  (Okay maybe gushing is a bit of an exaggeration.)  Anyway, I felt that the majority of the water was coming in from the zipper, since when I first got into the water I could feel it back there.  I definitely don't think I could do with a size smaller though...  I bought it online during one of Xterra's promotional sales and I wouldn't be able to return it anymore anyway since I was a bit anxious and bought it awhile ago.  So I guess I will have to make do with getting wet.  It's really not that big of a deal... as long as it doesn't cause any problems!

2010-05-25 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2880875

User image

Expert
MI
Timmy, your backyard tri sounds like it was great!!!  It really sounds like you will be prepared for this weekend, and I hope it will go just as well!
2010-05-26 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2881160

User image

Colin,

I dont have the wet suit yet, its in the mail and should arrive in a few days.  I will keep that tip in mind, but a speedo...I dont know.
Once my suit comes I definitely plan on trying to get up to Walden Pond, but I've heard from a few people thats its closed to swimmers because of some flooding issues.  Have you heard of this, and do you have a backup site?
Chad
2010-05-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2882374

User image

michgirlsk - 2010-05-26 12:57 AM Timmy, your backyard tri sounds like it was great!!!  It really sounds like you will be prepared for this weekend, and I hope it will go just as well!

Hi Samantha,

Thanks!  It did go surprising well for actually the lack of training I have done for it!  I found with the wetsuit it takes a lot more getting into than out of it.  The secret seems to be the small pulls into place to make your shoulders comfortable.  I had water seep into mine as well but, I do not think they are designed to keep you dry... hence the term wetsuit.  )  As long as you are not "filling" it with water you should be good to go.  What I mean by filling is the suit being loose... around the wrist for example and everytime you stroke water fills into the arm section... same with the neck area.   Water through the zipper should not be an issue as long as it is not creating some sort of drag.

When I was 19, I took scuba lessons and experienced the same thing, so I was expecting seepage.  Also for my old butt, using a 5 gallon bucket as a seat when drying the feet and putting on socks and shoes was very comfortable and no doubt quicker than sitting on the ground.  It was also recommended to me to put on body glide in any ares that may be subjected to rubbing... ie neck, underarms...etc.  I had no issues in that regard.  Aside from my hands getting numb, (and the dog helping with the swim) my backyard tri went surprisingly well.

Today I do feel the effects but, nothing that I think will linger till Saturday.  I am off to do a slow short swim at the gym today and maybe some stationary bike tonight at work and lots of stretching!  )

Good luck on your first Tri this weekend too but, judging from your training and posts, I think it will be a walk in the park for you!!

Timmy!!!!
2010-05-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2881812

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-25 6:05 PM Thanks Colin,

There is something that happened I forgot to mention during the bike.  My handsstarted going numb about half way through it.  I have straight handlebars with ergo pads and a couple of hand extentions off the ends of the bars.  What bothered me was that changing hand positions did not help as much as I thought it would. 

I am wondering if I am putting to much weight on my hands?  So my question is that I figure if I raise my handle bars it would move my center of gravity back and perhaps I would not be putting so much weight on my hands?

If you think I am on the right track with this or have any other suggestions, that would be great! 

Timmy!!!!

Hey Timmy,

There could be a number of things causing this.  However, I actually remember having the same issue when I was first getting in riding.  I don't think I changed anything and it just stopped on its own.  I think our hands just get used to the extra pressure.  However, you do want to make sure you have your elbows bent and are not forcing too much pressure down directly on your hands.  If you focus on this and just get some more rides in, I think you should be alright.  Let me know if this persists...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24