of 16

2011-03-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3423277

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
goettjp - 2011-03-31 9:59 AM

Well, I did Workout #1 of Week 1 last night, and it was amazing.

I had been in the pool 3-4 times already, just trying to get some laps in, but it was awful.  I would freestyle for as far as possible, then cling to side gasping like a fish on the bank.  My form suffered, my breathing was atrocious, I could barely climb out when done.

I had never used a kickboard or pull buoy before.  Other than getting a major calf cramp when kicking, I can see that these are valuable tools in training.  I also like having a set routine going in, with goals and times and whatnot.   I'm an engineer, so that figures....

Still working on my breathing. I started with one inhale per 4 strokes, but was soon inhaling every other stroke.

Any advice on avoiding legs cramps?  Is that from dehydration or lack of previous training?  Also, my partner suggested an "S" stroke.  Is there a video that shows that?

Glad the plan is working well for you! Leg cramps are most likely just due to your pool fitness and will resolve themselves as you gain more swim fitness.
The "S" stroke is controversial. Some think it's the way to go and others will say it isn't useful for triathletes in open water. I bet your friend is a former swimmer, right?
A quick google search led me to this video.

2011-04-02 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3052877

I am a member of the Malden ymca in massachusetts.I'm thinking about the swimming classes they offer.Any suggestion would be great.I am 1 terrible swimmer.

2011-04-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3426794

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
awfulswimmer - 2011-04-02 5:14 PM

I am a member of the Malden ymca in massachusetts.I'm thinking about the swimming classes they offer.Any suggestion would be great.I am 1 terrible swimmer.

I would recommend you take either a swim class or private lessons. It's the best way to learn to swim and start building your swim endurance on a base of good form.

2011-04-04 1:10 PM

Did Workout #3 from Week 1 yesterday, and it went well.  I never thought I'd be up to 800 yds so soon.  Got a serious water-log going on in one ear, can't seem to clear it, but otherwise a good swim.

Question on workouts vs rest

I joined the pool at a local college (cheap.  $40/year) but I can only swim there Sundays 1-3, Mondays 7-9 and Wednesdays 7-9.  Does it hurt to NOT have a rest day between Sunday & Monday?

If I decided to join a full-fledged gym, could I swim Monday thru Fridays?  I'm nursing a bum knee that won't heal until probably after rugby season is over, and I'm thinking a ramped up swim schedule could help me stay in shape.

2011-04-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3429076

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
goettjp - 2011-04-04 1:10 PM

Did Workout #3 from Week 1 yesterday, and it went well.  I never thought I'd be up to 800 yds so soon.  Got a serious water-log going on in one ear, can't seem to clear it, but otherwise a good swim.

Question on workouts vs rest

I joined the pool at a local college (cheap.  $40/year) but I can only swim there Sundays 1-3, Mondays 7-9 and Wednesdays 7-9.  Does it hurt to NOT have a rest day between Sunday & Monday?

If I decided to join a full-fledged gym, could I swim Monday thru Fridays?  I'm nursing a bum knee that won't heal until probably after rugby season is over, and I'm thinking a ramped up swim schedule could help me stay in shape.

Swimming is great exercise and it is totally fine to do it on back-to-back days, even 5x a week. So glad you are finding this plan helpful!

2011-04-07 7:16 AM

Did Work #1 for Week 2.  It's getting easier.... Laughing

So, if I go to a 5X/week swim, I'm thinking I do the prescribed workouts (kick, pull, yada yada) on Mon, Wed & Fri, then Tues and Thursday just try to "fill in" with lap work?

So, for instance, if my workouts were totaling 800 yards, broken up into kicks and pulls, etc., on Tuesdays and Thursdays maybe I should try to do 4 x 200 with appropriate rest in between?  Just wondering....

2011-04-07 12:23 PM

Regular
Swam today, felt really awesome! I'm starting to really get the rotation and glide feeling down, slowed my kick to a 4 beat (tried a 2 but I'm pretty sure it was a 4) and it felt like it was all coming together.

2011-04-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3434451

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

kwynnc - 2011-04-07 12:23 PM Swam today, felt really awesome! I'm starting to really get the rotation and glide feeling down, slowed my kick to a 4 beat (tried a 2 but I'm pretty sure it was a 4) and it felt like it was all coming together.

Great! I love hearing about people's successes! Glad it's going well for you.

2011-04-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3433789

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
goettjp - 2011-04-07 7:16 AM

So, if I go to a 5X/week swim, I'm thinking I do the prescribed workouts (kick, pull, yada yada) on Mon, Wed & Fri, then Tues and Thursday just try to "fill in" with lap work?

So, for instance, if my workouts were totaling 800 yards, broken up into kicks and pulls, etc., on Tuesdays and Thursdays maybe I should try to do 4 x 200 with appropriate rest in between?  Just wondering....

Sure, you could do that. If you are comfortable in the water, you can go head and start working on your endurance at a nice, controlled pace.

2011-04-10 3:38 AM

I was a swimmer in high school.....but that was a long time ago.  Im now 40, and want to start training for my first triathlon.  I am going to start by focusing on my swimming.

I am going to use the learn how to swim videos, and in looking at 1 of 5, it shows 4 weeks of training with 3 lessons, but does not say if those lessons should be done daily or if you train a day rest a day, say a monday, wednesday, friday type training schedule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Amy

2011-04-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3438252

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ABrandao - 2011-04-10 3:38 AM

I was a swimmer in high school.....but that was a long time ago.  Im now 40, and want to start training for my first triathlon.  I am going to start by focusing on my swimming.

I am going to use the learn how to swim videos, and in looking at 1 of 5, it shows 4 weeks of training with 3 lessons, but does not say if those lessons should be done daily or if you train a day rest a day, say a monday, wednesday, friday type training schedule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Amy

Welcome, Amy! You should do one workout, take a rest day, then another workout, etc. MWF would be good, or whatever days work for you. You don't HAVE to take a rest day if it wokrs better for you to swim two days in a row, but it's best to rest between. You might also want to try running on cycling on one or two days you aren't swimming, just to get a sense of what the training might feel like once you move on to a triathlon training plan.

2011-04-12 9:39 AM

New user

N IL

I desperately (may or may not be a stretch) need help with swimming competitively.
I'm former Navy; qualified as First Class swimmer but now can hardly finish 4x25.

I've sign up for a Tri in August, with an indoor tri this weekend. I'm going to use my results this weekend as a baseline, in manner of speaking. I've also signed up for a 13.1 the following month on 9/11/11.

I've set quite a lofty goal for myself and am going to cross every finish line. An article in Triathlete magazine had a Brit going from a couch potato to an Ironman finisher in a year. It may have been a longer time but quite inspiring nonetheless. I've set my sight on a 70.3 in 2012 and hopefully a full ironman in 2013.

As of now, the swim is the biggest hiccup/concern in my lofty goals.

2011-04-13 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3442006

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Hammerhead79 - 2011-04-12 9:39 AM

I desperately (may or may not be a stretch) need help with swimming competitively.
I'm former Navy; qualified as First Class swimmer but now can hardly finish 4x25.

I've sign up for a Tri in August, with an indoor tri this weekend. I'm going to use my results this weekend as a baseline, in manner of speaking. I've also signed up for a 13.1 the following month on 9/11/11.

I've set quite a lofty goal for myself and am going to cross every finish line. An article in Triathlete magazine had a Brit going from a couch potato to an Ironman finisher in a year. It may have been a longer time but quite inspiring nonetheless. I've set my sight on a 70.3 in 2012 and hopefully a full ironman in 2013.

As of now, the swim is the biggest hiccup/concern in my lofty goals.

Welcome! You have ambitious goals, but every goal is reached with daily practice. Get in the pool, follow this plan, and get proficient in the water. Once it's time to train for your August race, you will be able to easily follow a regular training plan.

2011-04-14 12:38 PM

New user

N IL

Since leaving the Navy I've found reason after reason to skip the gym. Since setting my mind on my current goals I've not had a reason to skip the gym. I've found reason to put of the exercises til the next day but I've not skipped out on my schedule.

What would be an appropriate amount to time to start training for the august tri? I thought now would be as good as time as any to start training for august (4+ months away)

2011-04-15 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3446767

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Hammerhead79 - 2011-04-14 12:38 PM

Since leaving the Navy I've found reason after reason to skip the gym. Since setting my mind on my current goals I've not had a reason to skip the gym. I've found reason to put of the exercises til the next day but I've not skipped out on my schedule.

What would be an appropriate amount to time to start training for the august tri? I thought now would be as good as time as any to start training for august (4+ months away)

Here is the problem with training: burnout. There is a reason why most training plans are 4-5 months long at the most: people have trouble staying focused and dialed in for longer than that. Following a training plan takes commitment, and taking a break from structured training takes commitment, too. Since you are new to the sport, it may take you longer to experience the burnout of following a plan day in and day out, but be aware that it occurs.
So, you should start your training plan 16-20 weeks before your race (depending on which plan you use). In the meantime, you can continue to use this Learn To Swim Program as well as trying to get in 2 runs and 2 bikes a week. You could loosely follow one of the Sprint training plans for the bike and run workouts just to help you build endurance, but don't feel you have to follow it very strictly. Use it as guidance to get ready for the strict training that will start 16 weeks before the race.

2011-04-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3447981

New user

N IL
Right now I'm in running and in the pool 3x week. I'm on the bike 2x week. Nothing crazy on the bike yet as I haven't found a regimen for the bike, just getting on the bike and riding.

2011-04-15 11:48 AM

User image

Dayton OH

Hey all! 

This is sooooo where i belong. I need some help with my swim leg something fierce. I am brand new to the triathlons but am excited about my first one on july 16th. I have been training since january on my new bike and running a couple races beforehand to make sure i can run. I am taking a swim course at school that has already made HUGE improvements from dog paddling to a terrible front crawl. 

Here is my question: I know without video or seeing me swim this might be hard. My professor says I have good glide and decent rotation but I am still consistantly drinking water. How can this be? Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Joel 

2011-04-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3448728

New user

N IL
joel.blair - 2011-04-15 11:48 AMHere is my question: I know without video or seeing me swim this might be hard. My professor says I have good glide and decent rotation but I am still consistantly drinking water. How can this be? Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Joel 

From what I can remember "back in the day" our first swimmer instructors kept pounding on us to keep good rotation when taking a breath; rotate the body and rotate the head to the point that our heads would be [almost] facing up. To put a finer point on it; about 75-80*; almost like sidestroking. Then again, they were teaching us for rescue swimming rather than speed.

Edited by Hammerhead79 2011-04-15 12:13 PM
2011-04-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3448728

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
joel.blair - 2011-04-15 11:48 AM

Hey all! 

This is sooooo where i belong. I need some help with my swim leg something fierce. I am brand new to the triathlons but am excited about my first one on july 16th. I have been training since january on my new bike and running a couple races beforehand to make sure i can run. I am taking a swim course at school that has already made HUGE improvements from dog paddling to a terrible front crawl. 

Here is my question: I know without video or seeing me swim this might be hard. My professor says I have good glide and decent rotation but I am still consistantly drinking water. How can this be? Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Joel 

My first thought is that you may be lifting your head when you turn to breath instead of just turning your head to the side. Pay attention to that and see what happens. Also, try swimming with a pull buoy to see if the problem is related to sinking hips. The pull buoy keeps your hips high like they should be.

2011-04-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3435379

Tri Take Me Away - 2011-04-07 8:40 PM
goettjp - 2011-04-07 7:16 AM

Sure, you could do that. If you are comfortable in the water, you can go head and start working on your endurance at a nice, controlled pace.

I must say, your program is AMAZING.  Four weeks ago I could barely do 4X25 (and I stood up at the end of each 25, gasping like a geezer).   Today I did Week 4, Workout #2, the 900 yard freestyle sets without kickboards or buoys.   At the end of 800 yards I still felt good, so instead of a 100 yard cool-down, I swam another 1000 YARDS.... non-stop.   That's 1800 yds total, almost a mile I think.

I know my form's still not good, and I probably have alot of other things to work on, but at least I know I won't be drowning in Lake Michigan on August 28th.  My wife was worried.  Laughing

2011-04-22 5:21 PM

Hi! My name is Denise and I have been training for my first sprint tri for about 7 weeks. Today in swim class they timed us on a 500 yd which is how much we'll be swimming at the tri. I did HORRIBLE!!!! The pool I train in is 25 yds and at the end of each 25 yds I had to catch my breath for about 30 sec sometimes. Near the end I had to do one section the basic crawl and on way back the breast stroke. A couple of times I had to stop because I was gagging, which I do when get tired. My race is in 6 weeks and I'm scared!!! The race will also be in a pool that is 50 yd long. I've been swimming about twice a week except this week I think I'll have 3 days in. I'm going to really try that. What else can I do to try at least make it to 50 yds before I have to rest? Thanks for any insights!

2011-04-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3461553

I'm no expert (in fact a beginner) but I think the key is to find your breathing pattern.  You're not really "out of breath" but you're not getting the breath you need, when you need it.  I struggled when I tried to inhale every 3rd  stroke, but when I cut back and took a breath every other stroke, I felt fine.

Now, I feel swimming like I used to when running long distances.  I never really get "winded", but my muscles get tired.

Also, for me, the first 400 yards is awful.  But once I warm up, I feel like I can swim forever.  But the first 10-15 lengths sucks.

2011-04-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3461553

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

wackybeanie - 2011-04-22 5:21 PM Hi! My name is Denise and I have been training for my first sprint tri for about 7 weeks. Today in swim class they timed us on a 500 yd which is how much we'll be swimming at the tri. I did HORRIBLE!!!! The pool I train in is 25 yds and at the end of each 25 yds I had to catch my breath for about 30 sec sometimes. Near the end I had to do one section the basic crawl and on way back the breast stroke. A couple of times I had to stop because I was gagging, which I do when get tired. My race is in 6 weeks and I'm scared!!! The race will also be in a pool that is 50 yd long. I've been swimming about twice a week except this week I think I'll have 3 days in. I'm going to really try that. What else can I do to try at least make it to 50 yds before I have to rest? Thanks for any insights!

Welcome! You are not alone. Swimming troubles are very common for first time triathletes. I would recommend you do everything you can to get in the pool 3x a week for the next 6 weeks. If you follow this plan, you WILL get better very quickly. Are you currently following the Lear to Swim Plan? If not, start today. If you were doing a 500 as fast as you could, no wonder you had trouble! The biggest problem for most new swimmers is trying to go too fast because you haven't learned to slow down, relax, and not let your hips sink.

2011-04-28 12:38 PM

So, it gets better and better.

Last week I swam six times for a total of 7100 yards (about 4 miles I think).  I had to travel for work this week and missed Sunday thru Wednesday, but I went back to the pool this morning at 4:00am, and I still remembered how to swim. Tongue out   Did 1800 yards (the Week 5, #1 workout, with an additional 900 yards at the end).   I'll swim tomorrow again, then I have to referee some rugby on Saturday, and Sunday I hope to test out my bad knee by running outside for 3-4 miles....

2011-04-30 12:46 PM

Don't know if I'm training for a Tri yet or if I just like the variety of the tri training.  Regardless, I gotta learn to swim.  Just finished Week #1.  Tough week but I think I'm more comfortable today than I was a week ago.  I'm finding the kickboard and especially the pull buoy awkward.  My breathing is still horrible but I did finish the week bilateral (every third stroke) and that was something I've never been able to conquer.

Here's to small victories!  I'm gonna give the full 6 weeks a fair shot.

-Bryan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16