2010-11-01 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3189798

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-01 6:05 PM I have a few questions:

First, Is the swimming distance in feet?  yards
Second, Is kick/pull just focusing on a different part of the stroke?
Third,  what are some benefits to incorporating backstroke? I wondered the same thing.  I never swim anything but freestyle when working out.  Today was a first...
Last,  are these exercises meant to be performed consecutively, or close to consecutively, or does it not matter when in the day you are doing these? Do you mean the run and swim?  It is not a brick, so you do not do them consecutively.  Have a good enough break in-between the two disciplines so that you can do a nice solid workout for each.  OR do you mean the swim sets?  If so, yes...take a small breather between sets (30 sec-1min depending on your fitness level.)

Thanks! 

2010-11-01 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3173260

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-10-26 11:52 AM What are people's opinions on starting the 20 Week program more than 20 weeks before race day.   My race is 4/17/11 and my training has been cycling/spinning, swimming, and running just building up distances doing each twice a week.  Ready to get more organized and strict, but what are the factors to consider here?

My HIM is 22 weeks away and I started the 20 week plan today.  I did this because I was worried about my training (or lack of it) during Thanksgiving and Christmas week and I wanted the buffer. 
2010-11-01 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3189943

User image

akrenik - 2010-11-01 10:11 PM
Mellissa - 2010-10-31 8:01 AM Ok, I "officially" start my plan today! Surprised

Me too!  Although I still haven't picked the plan I am going to use yet.  Are you doing the beginner 1/2 plan on here?  What did you do today? 

I am using a combination of this plan and one I got from a friend who is a coach (unfortunately far away from me!)

I did a 2000 meter swim, what did you do? maybe we can compare plans, I could use all the help I can get since its my first HIM!
2010-11-02 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3189948

Expert
akrenik - 2010-11-01 10:16 PM

Third,  what are some benefits to incorporating backstroke? I wondered the same thing.  I never swim anything but freestyle when working out.  Today was a first...
Last,  are these exercises meant to be performed consecutively, or close to consecutively, or does it not matter when in the day you are doing these? Do you mean the run and swim?  It is not a brick, so you do not do them consecutively.  Have a good enough break in-between the two disciplines so that you can do a nice solid workout for each.  OR do you mean the swim sets?  If so, yes...take a small breather between sets (30 sec-1min depending on your fitness level.)

Thanks! 

I feel like I will be in the pool (and probably most of you too) a lot longer than 40 minutes if you do an 800yd warm up, then a 1500 yd swim exercise, then a 200yd cooldown.  So...thats like 1.4+ miles which is about what I swim when I want to swim a length day, I just generally am a good bit slower than that for 1.4.  I assume that's okay for week 20.  Anyone else in the same boat more or less for week 20? 
2010-11-02 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3190232

User image

New user
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-02 9:14 AM

Thanks! 

I feel like I will be in the pool (and probably most of you too) a lot longer than 40 minutes if you do an 800yd warm up, then a 1500 yd swim exercise, then a 200yd cooldown.  So...thats like 1.4+ miles which is about what I swim when I want to swim a length day, I just generally am a good bit slower than that for 1.4.  I assume that's okay for week 20.  Anyone else in the same boat more or less for week 20? 

I've noticed that too with this plan; my swim times are much greater than what it says (for example, it takes me about 40 min for the 1500yd main set). From my very limited experience, I do not see it as a problem. You just have to factor that it when your planning your day (look at the actual workout for the time and not just rely on what time is "determined" for you). I also assume some speed will come along resulting from the designated "speed" and "race specific" days...
2010-11-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
On plans like this, where the distance is stated rather than just telling you to swim for a certain amount of time, it can vary widely how much time that swim workout actually takes. For some people, it will take less time than stated. For lots of people, it will take more time. It's important to try to get as much of the yards in as you can in order to be ready for race day, so try your best to add more time to your swim days to get in the entire workout. The good news is, you WILL get faster if you swim a lot, and those workouts will take less time.

2010-11-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3190252

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
ryanjleone - 2010-11-02 8:22 AM

First, Is the swimming distance in feet?  yards could be meters, it will really depend on what pool you are in.
Second, Is kick/pull just focusing on a different part of the stroke? kick is just kicking, usaully with a kickboard.  but if you don;t have a kickboard, you can lie on your back and kick.  Pull will be using a pull buoy.

Thanks! 

I've noticed that too with this plan; my swim times are much greater than what it says (for example, it takes me about 40 min for the 1500yd main set). From my very limited experience, I do not see it as a problem. You just have to factor that it when your planning your day (look at the actual workout for the time and not just rely on what time is "determined" for you). I also assume some speed will come along resulting from the designated "speed" and "race specific" days...

Since the swim is the only discipline that is measured in distance (not time like most of the run and bike) for most of the plan, the times are going to be estimates.

I am looking forward to being done with this plan (maybe on to another?) so I would warn of burn-out.

I have my HIM (first) in FIVE days!  I stuck with the plan pretty well for the first three months and took a little more liberties with it in the last two.  Didn't get it all in but most of it.  I know I can do it.  Now, I find out how much of the race will be fun vs. why-won't-this-end.
2010-11-02 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
I'm on the 3rd week of the plan and I'm seriously starting to feel like I need to do some changes with my "spare" time.  I'm only on the 3rd week and I feel like I should sleep longer.  I feel like I needto sleep 8 hours a night if I'm doing this plan.  I used to be able to sleep 6-7 when I was training in an unstructured way for my sprint races.  With this plan, more rest is definitely needed. 

I need to get more calories in.  The past 3 weeks, I have already lost 5 pounds and that's eating breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. I'm 2.5lbs away from my target weight so that I can stay still a little bit muscular but leaner as well.  Add to that the fact that part of my work is out in the field thus more need for energy.

I also need to drink more water.  I thought I was drinking a lot by drinking almost a gallon a day (maybe more).  I'm drinking the same amount nowadays and trips to the loo for number one are still a little bit tinted instead of the clear ones that I am used to.

But most of all, I can eat pretty much anything and still lose weight.Laughing
2010-11-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3190906

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ewillmore - 2010-11-02 12:02 PM
ryanjleone - 2010-11-02 8:22 AM

First, Is the swimming distance in feet?  yards could be meters, it will really depend on what pool you are in.
Second, Is kick/pull just focusing on a different part of the stroke? kick is just kicking, usaully with a kickboard.  but if you don;t have a kickboard, you can lie on your back and kick.  Pull will be using a pull buoy.

Thanks! 

Since the swim is the only discipline that is measured in distance (not time like most of the run and bike) for most of the plan, the times are going to be estimates.

I am looking forward to being done with this plan (maybe on to another?) so I would warn of burn-out.

I have my HIM (first) in FIVE days!  I stuck with the plan pretty well for the first three months and took a little more liberties with it in the last two.  Didn't get it all in but most of it.  I know I can do it.  Now, I find out how much of the race will be fun vs. why-won't-this-end.

Good luck this weekend!!
2010-11-03 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3191052

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
arkmann - 2010-11-02 1:04 PM I'm on the 3rd week of the plan and I'm seriously starting to feel like I need to do some changes with my "spare" time.  I'm only on the 3rd week and I feel like I should sleep longer.  I feel like I needto sleep 8 hours a night if I'm doing this plan.  I used to be able to sleep 6-7 when I was training in an unstructured way for my sprint races.  With this plan, more rest is definitely needed. 

I need to get more calories in.  The past 3 weeks, I have already lost 5 pounds and that's eating breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. I'm 2.5lbs away from my target weight so that I can stay still a little bit muscular but leaner as well.  Add to that the fact that part of my work is out in the field thus more need for energy.

I also need to drink more water.  I thought I was drinking a lot by drinking almost a gallon a day (maybe more).  I'm drinking the same amount nowadays and trips to the loo for number one are still a little bit tinted instead of the clear ones that I am used to.

Sleep is SOOOO important! Get us much as you can! It's more powerful than any drug you could take for recovery, weight management, happiness, or improvement as an athlete.
I don't aim for totally clear urine. A bit of yellow is considered healthy, so unless you FEEL thirsty and dehydrated, don't force yourself to drink more water.
It sounds like you are doing pretty great! Keep it up!
2010-11-03 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Haven't been around for a while. 

I also have my first Half Ironman distance this Sunday!
You can check my logs and see I haven't been running for the last 3 weeks or so because of the stress fracture in my heel.  I am hoping this time off to heal will be enough to get me through the 13.1 miles Sunday.
I have never run that far.  The furthest I have run in preparing for this race was 8 miles.  My injury happened before I got any of my long runs in.  The good news is the run course is 3 loops which will be much better for me mentally.  I will get to see my family and friends and I keep telling myself I only have to run 4.36 three times, I've run that distance dozens of times.  One lap at a time.  I expect if all goes well the race will take me 7.5 hours and really hoping I have that 30 minutes of cushion before the 8 hour cut off.

Working on my mental game right now.  I know my body can do this.  I've had 5 babies without the benefit of pain meds and the last 3 were born at home.  I am a Mama warrior and will have to pull from that Sunday.

The weather will be perfect!  Chilly at the beginning of the bike but the run will be perfect!  Excited to meet some BTers and really looking forward to the day.

2010-11-03 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
OK.....

I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes.

My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!!

My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.
2010-11-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3193095

User image

New user
Meulen - 2010-11-03 12:52 PM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

Great job on the weight loss!!! That's awesome!! I'm very new to this sport, so my advice may be taken with a grain of salt. From my personal experience, swimming was/is very tough for me as well, but it will come! As long as you get in the water, you'll improve! When I first started this program, my 1000yd time was about 45 min. Today, only 4 weeks into the program, I swam 2000yd in 48! The speed days must help immensely, because before this plan I was basically just doing long swims. Keep your head up and get that motivation to get in the water. Trust that it will come and it will...
2010-11-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3193407

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
ryanjleone - 2010-11-03 1:23 PM

Meulen - 2010-11-03 12:52 PM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

Great job on the weight loss!!! That's awesome!! I'm very new to this sport, so my advice may be taken with a grain of salt. From my personal experience, swimming was/is very tough for me as well, but it will come! As long as you get in the water, you'll improve! When I first started this program, my 1000yd time was about 45 min. Today, only 4 weeks into the program, I swam 2000yd in 48! The speed days must help immensely, because before this plan I was basically just doing long swims. Keep your head up and get that motivation to get in the water. Trust that it will come and it will...

thanks!

do you just "swim the distance" in the plan? I'm thinking it may make sense to swim the distance but in some sort of sets or workout. I.E.: I usually use a few different workouts

1. warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free
sets 4x400
coold down 150 free each length slower

2 warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free
sets 2x 100/200/400
10x50 hard/easy

3 warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free
2x1000
cool down 150 slow and some drills

4 whatever masters class makes me do

I could adjust those to get the distance out of the plan our just swim the distance. Which would be better?

Edited by Meulen 2010-11-03 1:39 PM
2010-11-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3193436

User image

New user
Well I'll let someone else answer which is better Smile, but yea I just "swim the distance." I follow the plan very strictly because I don't know enough (about swimming) to make knowledgable changes.

I'm curious as to whether your technique may be beneficial, ie breaking it up into other "workouts." We'll see what the veteran's have to say, ha.
2010-11-03 5:40 PM

User image

New user

Torreon, mexico

Hey Everyone-

I am currently training for the Ironman 70.3 in Cancun on Sept 18, 2011.  Before the event, my plan is to compete in as many other triathlons/5ks/10ks in my area (Coahuila, Mexico) as possible.  We've got the 65km Cardenche MTB race on Nov 14.

Anyway, so far the plan is going well.  I add alot more to the bike section, mainly out of necessity.  Riding "easy pace" doesn't work when you're riding on a cycling team.  I will do the plan twice to get to September 2011.  Along with my cycling training.

My goal is simply to finish and hopefully not be the very last one.  8 hours is the cut off, and I'd like to finish in about 7 hours.

Rachel

2010-11-04 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Meulen - 2010-11-03 9:52 AM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

No wonder  your swimming is the weakest...you live in Chicago!     I was there for the first time for the past 4 days and it was sooo cold!  I am so happy to get in the pool today back here in sunny So. Cal with an outside air temp of 85 degrees. 
2010-11-04 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3192731

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
KeriKadi - 2010-11-03 7:55 AM Haven't been around for a while. 

You can check my logs and see I haven't been running for the last 3 weeks or so because of the stress fracture in my heel.  I am hoping this time off to heal will be enough to get me through the 13.1 miles Sunday.
I have never run that far.  The furthest I have run in preparing for this race was 8 miles.  My injury happened before I got any of my long runs in.  The good news is the run course is 3 loops which will be much better for me mentally.  I will get to see my family and friends and I keep telling myself I only have to run 4.36 three times, I've run that distance dozens of times.  One lap at a time.  I expect if all goes well the race will take me 7.5 hours and really hoping I have that 30 minutes of cushion before the 8 hour cut off.

Working on my mental game right now.  I know my body can do this.  I've had 5 babies without the benefit of pain meds and the last 3 were born at home.  I am a Mama warrior and will have to pull from that Sunday.

The weather will be perfect!  Chilly at the beginning of the bike but the run will be perfect!  Excited to meet some BTers and really looking forward to the day.

What a GREAT way to look at it!  It is such a mental game and you are going to beat it!  Good luck and be sure to report back and let us know how it went!
2010-11-04 12:45 AM
in reply to: #3191052

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
arkmann - 2010-11-02 11:04 AM I'm on the 3rd week of the plan and I'm seriously starting to feel like I need to do some changes with my "spare" time.  I'm only on the 3rd week and I feel like I should sleep longer.  I feel like I needto sleep 8 hours a night if I'm doing this plan.  I used to be able to sleep 6-7 when I was training in an unstructured way for my sprint races.  With this plan, more rest is definitely needed. 

Thanks for the insight.  I am not quite following the plan right this week, so I think I will start it over next week. (I technically don't start for two weeks.)  However, I need to take your advice about the food.  I am so much hungrier this week and yet I haven't bothered to eat more than I normally do.  If I keep that up I am going to turn into a stick or dissappear all together.  haha
2010-11-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3194246

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
akrenik - 2010-11-04 12:42 AM

Meulen - 2010-11-03 9:52 AM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

No wonder  your swimming is the weakest...you live in Chicago!     I was there for the first time for the past 4 days and it was sooo cold!  I am so happy to get in the pool today back here in sunny So. Cal with an outside air temp of 85 degrees. 

LOL, It's been in the 30's-50's here. I swim inside. I was lucky enough to find a friend that lives on a nice clean lake close to my house for OWS'ing. I need to take advantage of that more this spring.
2010-11-04 3:06 PM

User image

My name is Eric and I am working to do a HIM late next year.  I have only done a sprint before and currently working on the sprint training plan.  My goal is to work up to a sprint, olympic and then HIM.  I started a blog to keep myself honest and accountable to my training.  Please stop by and check it out if you have done one and offer up some advice.  That is one of the things I love about the triathlete community is that they are always giving advice to people in the sport.  I got some good advice about how to put my bike on the rack since I am 6'5" and ended up with top 100 times in my transitions.  So I am always looking for advice along the way.

www.roadtohalfironman.blogspot.com

Thanks,

Eric R.
Bloomington IN

2010-11-05 1:05 AM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
KeriKadi - 2010-11-04 2:55 AM Haven't been around for a while. 

How exciting. Have a blast. i hope it all goes well for you. 
2010-11-05 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KeriKadi - 2010-11-03 9:55 AM Haven't been around for a while. 

From one home-birth mama to another, BEST of luck this weekend! You will ROCK IT , I am sure! We better hear from you on Monday letting us know how it went!
2010-11-05 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Meulen - 2010-11-03 11:52 AM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

Welcome, Brian!! COngrats on your amazing journey so far! As far as swimming goes, you are not alone. Everyone has a weakness in this sport, and everyone has trouble motivating themselves to work on their weakness. It's a LOT more fun to do the stuff you are good at and a LOT less fun to focus on our weaknesses. I am SO glad that you are starting the Masters class as I think that is going to make a huge difference in how you handle your swim training. It's going to be fun, it's going to challenge you more than you will challenge yourself, it's going to provide more consistency, and it will bring out your competitive side!
Keep us up to date on how your training is going, especially once you start Masters!
2010-11-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3196709

User image

Pro
Houston
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-05 9:40 AM
KeriKadi - 2010-11-03 9:55 AM Haven't been around for a while. 

From one home-birth mama to another, BEST of luck this weekend! You will ROCK IT , I am sure! We better hear from you on Monday letting us know how it went!

Yay!  A fellow homebirthing Mama!!!  I see a lot of similarities between laboring/birthing and triathlon.  I will post Monday if I am able to get my butt to the computer.  Thanks for the note.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150