BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3256830

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL
James was really putting it down (in down under land!!) with his workouts today.  Almost two hours of effort.  Way to go James.

Weather crappy in Sarasota, FL last 48 hours.  Had to take it indoors today and barely got in an outdoors swim on Tuesday.

2011-01-26 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
Good article Jeff.  I like the points he makes.

Somewhere else, either from one of your articles or links on this site, someone said that the first year of triathlon training should only be about endurance.  After the first year you can worry about intensity.  I see the same message there....gotta build up the basics before you can really work on improving the results.  I understand these times vary based on the condition of the person when they start.  

What's hard for a newbie like me to grasp is that 3, 4, even 6 months of consistent training, seems like a long time and the temptation will be to do too much too soon.  It's good to hear it from a couple different points of view.
Christi 
2011-01-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3323595

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey Christie,

In my younger years I was the poster boy for impatience and wanting to see results immediately.  So I would add intensity to my training on a daily basis, go out and hammer a 5K run,  and end up hurting myself and ultimately quiting altogether.  As I have aged and with a ton of help from my mentors here on BT I have changed my approach to training.  It's not about getting faster in the next 2, 3 or 6 months nowadays for me ... it's about changing my lifestyle for the next 30 years.

The following was written by Gordo in my 1st mentor group.  When I read this it finally clicked in my head.

--------------------

I've found that our collective psychology will try to trick us to constantly go harder, go faster -- people never come to me and argue their number down!  The tendency to go until we break, or quit, works directly against what is required to improve as athletes and enjoy our athletic lives -- call that collectively "wellness".

If we are on a wellness path then we will be more consistent and, over time, do far more training than a program that has an intensity basis (that most of us are not biomechanically able to tolerate).  So... you get sick, you torch your ITB, or you just bounce from starvation/binge; peak/trough wondering why you're struggling to stay on track -- the reason is typically excessive stress in our lives.  So our capacity to sustain high intensity (in a race) and increased load (in training) is set by our base, economy and biomechanical fitness.  You can improve for years (safely, healthy, and having fun) while focusing on these points.

If you drill it for 12 weeks then you will show progress -- that is very well documented in populations similar to BT.  However, you will likely struggle to maintain the changes that are truly required develop as an athlete over the next 3 to 5 to 10 years.  Win little now, win big later -- I've always been a win big later sort of guy.

--------------------

BTW: Side benefit:  using his approach to training I have made huge improvements in my endurance and speed.

cvochristi - 2011-01-26 8:53 PM 

What's hard for a newbie like me to grasp is that 3, 4, even 6 months of consistent training, seems like a long time and the temptation will be to do too much too soon.  It's good to hear it from a couple different points of view.
Christi 

2011-01-27 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Saw this qreat quote today that I thought I would share with the group:  ” A man who wants to do something will find a way. A man who doesn’t will find an excuse”. Stephen Dooley.

2011-01-27 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Hello group! I got back from Cancun yesterday, and am happy to report that I enjoyed every minute of not exercising for 5 days. I ate and drank whatever I wanted, the benefit of an all-inclusive resort. Innocent
2011-01-27 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3325780

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Good to have you back Amanda.  I'm sure Roxie is happy to have her training partner back and is ready to hit the roads!!

atlveg - 2011-01-27 7:48 PM Hello group! I got back from Cancun yesterday, and am happy to report that I enjoyed every minute of not exercising for 5 days. I ate and drank whatever I wanted, the benefit of an all-inclusive resort. Innocent

2011-01-28 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey Gang,

The weekend is finally here.  Yes!!!  Saturday calls for my 1st S/B/R session of the new year.  I'm looking forward to it.  What's on your training schedule this weekend?

Good little video clip from Will Smith.  I think he may be talking to kids but a good clip about running and reading.  Check it out:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocM4ztqhIgA

2011-01-28 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Melissa,

Have you done the Sarasota Half Marathon in March?  If so, would you recommend doing it - do they get a big crowd for it? I'm thinking about it, but not sure yet.
2011-01-28 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3325780

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
atlveg - 2011-01-27 4:48 PM Hello group! I got back from Cancun yesterday, and am happy to report that I enjoyed every minute of not exercising for 5 days. I ate and drank whatever I wanted, the benefit of an all-inclusive resort. Innocent

Sounds great, welcome back! Laughing
Christi
2011-01-29 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Christi asked me a good question in an inspire that I thought I would share with the group....  "Your calendar is quiet full, you don't take a day off once a week?"

The plan I'm on has an "Easy Day" once a week.  It is scheduled for a Monday but I opt to move it around dependig upon how I'm feeling.  I also dial the duration and intensity up or down depending upon how I'm feeling.  On Thursday of this week I did a late evening run and by noon on Friday I was still feeling it a bit in my legs.  I knew that I had a key workout (S/B/R) on Saturday so I just did a little active recovery walk on Friday.  Something that got the blood flowing but didn't stress the body.  Recovery is important.

Did have a bit of a "breakdown" at the dinner table on Friday.  Too many pieces of pizza and a couple Ding Dongs.  I guess the good news is I didn't eat the whole box of Ding Dongs - but I was tempted!!!

Happy training.

BTW:  Here is a good article on Recovery written by Chuckie V.  Good content and I love his "funny" style of writing: 

http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/2010/11/do-rest.html

Edited by junthank 2011-01-29 7:19 AM
2011-01-29 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3327791

User image

junthank - 2011-01-28 7:15 PM Melissa,

Have you done the Sarasota Half Marathon in March?  If so, would you recommend doing it - do they get a big crowd for it? I'm thinking about it, but not sure yet.

Yep...3 times.  Some of my students are doing it this year. I was thinking about doing it or volunteering. There's a new finisher's medal design now. Course is ok...actually not one of my favorites. The course has changed though...used to start and finish at Ringling and the turnaround at the end of the bridge was the halfway. Now it starts at the Wezel, so the bridge is earlier in the race. The bad part of the course is the stretch along 41. They used to only close one lane so you were running right next to the cars.

I like the new medal design, but I have a half the following weekend. I have been looking at the calendar...I'm in the Half Fanatics so if I do Sarasota and Hooters down in Ft. Myers, I'd have 4 in 4 weeks which would move me up a couple levels in the group. 

My training fell apart this week when life took over. I have to revamp my schedule this week. My youngest is starting tae kwan do and runner's club has started at school so fitting it all in is going to be a challenge. It's a LOT easier to train for just one sport at a time.

Welcome back, Amanda! 

Edited by melkat 2011-01-29 9:01 PM

2011-01-29 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3328954

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
Wow Melissa, you run a lot! I can't imagine doing 2 races in 4 weeks, much less 3 or 4.  I'm guessing you've been a runner for a while?

Christi 
2011-01-30 12:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
Jeff,

Someone, not in our group, commented on my calendar, asking if i "ever take a day off?" I was surprised.  Yes, my calendar is full, but my workouts aren't intense.  I just happen to be doing something often and some days was just sports.  I try to take 1-2 days off a week to rest and recoup. I'm happy doing what I'm doing now. Although i will probably have to kick up the distances next month, but I'm still going to keep myself happy.
I looked at your calendar and noticed it was full, and it was full of real work.  I just wondered if you did that because of how close your races were or if that was normal "on" training.  
Good restraint on the ding-dongs...I want one! Or two...  Good thing I can't go get any right now.  Me?  I'm so pizza'ed out, i don't want to see another pie for a long time.  Hopefully it didn't impact the scale too much.  I'm going to play ostrich for a while and not look at the scale. 
Christi 
2011-01-30 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3328954

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
melkat - 2011-01-29 10:00 PM
junthank - 2011-01-28 7:15 PM Melissa,

Yep...3 times.  Some of my students are doing it this year. I was thinking about doing it or volunteering. There's a new finisher's medal design now. Course is ok...actually not one of my favorites. The course has changed though...used to start and finish at Ringling and the turnaround at the end of the bridge was the halfway. Now it starts at the Wezel, so the bridge is earlier in the race. The bad part of the course is the stretch along 41. They used to only close one lane so you were running right next to the cars. 

Thanks for the info.  Looks like the race goes over the only hill in Sarasota (Ringling Bridge).  I'll see how things pan out over the course of the next couple weeks before I commit.

I like the new medal design, but I have a half the following weekend. I have been looking at the calendar...I'm in the Half Fanatics so if I do Sarasota and Hooters down in Ft. Myers, I'd have 4 in 4 weeks which would move me up a couple levels in the group. 

That's a lot of half's in a short time period.  But if your body is accustomed to it go for it

My training fell apart this week when life took over. I have to revamp my schedule this week. My youngest is starting tae kwan do and runner's club has started at school so fitting it all in is going to be a challenge. It's a LOT easier to train for just one sport at a time.

Forget about it.  It happens.  Move forward.

I don't know that I have any great advise for ya.  For me, being on a specific training plan helps a great deal.  That way I can organize my week ahead of time and pack my bags the night before.  If I don't have things planned out I tend to put things off and then suddenly its late and I'll bag the workout.  But that is just how I'm wired.

Now that my kids are grown my taxi cab driving days are over with.  Enjoy it, they grow up fast.

Welcome back, Amanda! 

Edited by junthank 2011-01-30 8:13 AM
2011-01-30 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3329065

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Christi,

I try and do something everyday.  Sometimes that something is just a short walk.  Everything COUNTS (especially karate!!).  I don't like unplanned zero's.  My mind and body just feel better if I move.  Occasionally I'll get out of bed and contemplate not doing a workout.  That's when I ask myself.... I'm I going to feel better if I do this workout?  The answer is almost always yes.  So I do them.

Regarding "Real Work":  When you are out there in the pool doing your 300-600 meter swim that's "real work" Christi.  Just because my S/B/R's are longer and a bit faster than what you might do doesn't make my workout any more "real" than yours.  I just have a 3 year headstart on ya!!

"Intense Work":  I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this in the thread before but I don't do a lot of intensity based training.  I don't like pain!!!  Recently I have done a number of S/B/R's where I kicked it up a bit but that was to collect informtion about my level of fitness.  95% of my training is done in my low Steady to low Mod-Hard zones.  Benefit - that's the sweet zone for burning fat for energy.  Plus - if you plan on going really long (i.e.. IM distance) your aerobic fitness is the key (not anaerobic).

"Getting Closer to Race Day" - I'm still a long way from my 1st race date.  BTW: I don't write my training plans.  I did when I 1st started.  Now I let the experts do to it for me.  The person I get my plans from trained under Mark Allen, Dave Scott, John Hellemans, Scott Molina, Joe Friel.  Tons of experience in triathlon there.

Finally Happiness - That's the key.  If you develop a deep enjoyment for training it makes it so much easier.  That's where I'm at with my training.

BTW:  Pizza and Ding Dongs, now that is where I struggle.  No problems with the workouts - that's the easy part for me.  I'm much, much better with my diet but........ occasionally it happens.  Nowadays when it happens I try and limit it to one or two cookies and not the WHOLE box.

cvochristi - 2011-01-30 1:08 AM Jeff,

Someone, not in our group, commented on my calendar, asking if i "ever take a day off?" I was surprised.  Yes, my calendar is full, but my workouts aren't intense.  I just happen to be doing something often and some days was just sports.  I try to take 1-2 days off a week to rest and recoup. I'm happy doing what I'm doing now. Although i will probably have to kick up the distances next month, but I'm still going to keep myself happy.
I looked at your calendar and noticed it was full, and it was full of real work.  I just wondered if you did that because of how close your races were or if that was normal "on" training.  
Good restraint on the ding-dongs...I want one! Or two...  Good thing I can't go get any right now.  Me?  I'm so pizza'ed out, i don't want to see another pie for a long time.  Hopefully it didn't impact the scale too much.  I'm going to play ostrich for a while and not look at the scale. 
Christi 

Edited by junthank 2011-01-30 9:00 AM
2011-01-30 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Rob,

Your a big time swimmer.  Got a question for you.  Occasionally when I swim and breathe on one side (like yesterday when I was doing a TT) my chin will brush the front part of my shoulder a bit.  I never notice or feel it doing the swim.  However, after I get out of the pool and in the shower I notice a little abrasion on my shoulder where my chin rubbed it (or at least I think it's my chin).  Could that indicate a flaw in my stroke?

2011-01-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3329063

User image

cvochristi - 2011-01-30 12:59 AM Wow Melissa, you run a lot! I can't imagine doing 2 races in 4 weeks, much less 3 or 4.  I'm guessing you've been a runner for a while?

Christi 

I don't think so...just since 2005. I ran track in middle school and played basketball in high school. I was always one of those people who said I wouldn't run unless somethin was chasing me. I started walking to get back in shape after baby #2, then found a group online that was training to walk the '06 Disney half and thought I could do that. I started running a little because I didnt think I could keep up the pace just walking the whole thing. This year, I'm on track to do half #20 and my new goal is 50 by the time I turn 50. My oldest may have a band thing in Gainesville the weekend of Sarasota so it may be out anyway.

I have high hopes this week. Got in a good swim at the Y. Still slow, but I'm not fighting to breathe so much and actually starting to be able to pay attention to my stroke.

My danger foods are cookies...any kind...specially the ones from Fresh Market...Tongue out 

Edited by melkat 2011-01-30 7:37 PM
2011-01-30 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3329838

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
Melissa,  I like your history.  I"m hoping to walk into running myself.  I want to get to the point that when I start, i don't hate it.  Don't know how long that will take.  Good luck on your goal, I hope you are able to make it.
Smile
melkat - 2011-01-30 5:35 PM
cvochristi - 2011-01-30 12:59 AM Wow Melissa, you run a lot! I can't imagine doing 2 races in 4 weeks, much less 3 or 4.  I'm guessing you've been a runner for a while?

Christi 

I don't think so...just since 2005. I ran track in middle school and played basketball in high school. I was always one of those people who said I wouldn't run unless somethin was chasing me. I started walking to get back in shape after baby #2, then found a group online that was training to walk the '06 Disney half and thought I could do that. I started running a little because I didnt think I could keep up the pace just walking the whole thing. This year, I'm on track to do half #20 and my new goal is 50 by the time I turn 50. My oldest may have a band thing in Gainesville the weekend of Sarasota so it may be out anyway.

I have high hopes this week. Got in a good swim at the Y. Still slow, but I'm not fighting to breathe so much and actually starting to be able to pay attention to my stroke.

My danger foods are cookies...any kind...specially the ones from Fresh Market...Tongue out 
2011-01-30 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3329597

Portland, OR

Occasionally when I swim and breathe on one side (like yesterday when I was doing a TT) my chin will brush the front part of my shoulder a bit.  I never notice or feel it doing the swim.  However, after I get out of the pool and in the shower I notice a little abrasion on my shoulder where my chin rubbed it (or at least I think it's my chin).  Could that indicate a flaw in my stroke?

Hmm, that's a new one on me.  So are you feeling contact with the shoulder when you breath?  Or is your head maybe staying turned towards that shoulder during the stroke.  I know that the head movement should be very compact and should turn back to the water asap.  I have problems with leaving my head to the side too long, which can create a wobbl in my body.  But I haven't talked to anyone that ever have an abrasion.  Just brainstorming....might check your head position (where are your eyes pointing)

2011-01-31 5:00 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Hey everyone. Between vacation and work and a busy schedule this weekend, I have barely been on the internet!

Our mighty captain asked a question on my inspire, and I'm not sure I am replying to those correctly so will address it here -- yes I am still training in all 3 sports, but not sure I am ready to jump into an actual race until this fall. My swimming has been slacking because of work vs. pool hours, and I took a break from the bike until I could pick up a chain cleaner and some lube (took care of that maintenance chore on Saturday), but I am going to the pool this morning followed by an easy bike ride after work.

Is anybody else in that situation - training but not ready to jump into a race until they feel more comfortable? With running I waited 10 years before doing an actual race (a half marathon in Feb 2009) - I don't see myself waiting that long, but I do want to build up some competency in the other disciplines before racing.

Amanda

Edited by atlveg 2011-01-31 5:00 AM
2011-01-31 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3329838

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey Melissa,

Great news on the swim Melissa.  As I mentioned many times previously the 1st thing you want to learn in swimming is to RELAX.  It looks like you are making strides on that front.  Don't worry about distance or speed yet.  Just focus on developing a relaxed breathing pattern while swimming.

melkat - 2011-01-30 8:35 PM
cvochristi - 2011-01-30 12:59 AM Christi 

Got in a good swim at the Y. Still slow, but I'm not fighting to breathe so much and actually starting to be able to pay attention to my stroke.

2011-01-31 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3330061

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for the advise Rob.  I think it is probably time to bribe my wife into video taping me at the pool. 

I don't feel contact while I swim.  However, sometimes the front of my right shoulder will be little red (like it was rubbing against something). 

I focus on looking straight down but I know I look just a little forward.

Maybe the video taping will make it clear.

tkdrq - 2011-01-30 11:54 PM

Hmm, that's a new one on me.  So are you feeling contact with the shoulder when you breath?  Or is your head maybe staying turned towards that shoulder during the stroke.  I know that the head movement should be very compact and should turn back to the water asap.  I have problems with leaving my head to the side too long, which can create a wobbl in my body.  But I haven't talked to anyone that ever have an abrasion.  Just brainstorming....might check your head position (where are your eyes pointing)
2011-01-31 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3330147

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey Amanda,

Mighty Captain?  Maybe Mighty Mouse but no Mighty Captain

On a serious note, I'm enjoying the group.  I do look forward to the questions and dialogue on the thread.  I also like seeing everybodies progress.  I wish more of the people who originally signed up would have become an active part of the group.  I think we lost 1/2 of group after the 1st day (i.e... they signed up and never posted on the thread or posted a workout).  But, as my wife likes to say.... it is what it is. 

atlveg - 2011-01-31 6:00 AM Our mighty captain
2011-01-31 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3331942

User image

junthank - 2011-01-31 8:21 PM  the 1st thing you want to learn in swimming is to RELAX.  

YES! I think that's huge. Changing to Sunday really helped. When I swim on Mon, I am coming from work and trying to get the workout in before I need to pickup my daughter. It always felt a little frantic. On Sun, I didn't have any time constraints and the pool wasn't 2 to 3 in each lane (no mermaids though Wink) Slowing everything down really helped.

I'm a little freaked about biking. There have been two people killed here in the bike lane where I ride over the past two weeks. One was a kid walking in the bike lane at night and the other was a women on a bike who got rear-ended by a pickup yesterday afternoon. We have a nice rail trail in south Sarasota to ride, but it's a bit of a pain hauling the bike down there. Guess it's better than being hit by a car.

Amanda...I don't think you ever have to race. Some runners have no interest in racing.  I like having races on the calendar to keep me motivated, but if you have your own intrinsic motivation, that may not be an issue. Don't feel pressured to race...the races will always be there.

Edited by melkat 2011-01-31 9:17 PM
2011-01-31 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
Amanda,  I'm with Melissa...having the race on the calendar keeps me from slacking (my words, not Melissa's Wink), that's the only reason I'm doing what I'm doing now.

But I also understand the anxiety. It is somewhat intimidating to think that I will be on the course at the back of the pack.  I have picked a race that I believe I can finish.  I might not  compare well to those who are really racing,  but my goal is to finish. 

From there on out I'll try to beat my times.  I'm just competing with myself.  

Don't feel the need to race.  If you are happy doing what you're doing, then stay the course. When, and if, you feel ready, you'll know it.

I decided I ready to try a race after being a lap counting for a local triathlon.  The swim is what kept me from thinking about doing this.  But after watching many different kinds of people do it, I knew that I could find a way to do it myself.  

Christi

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24