BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-02-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3271854

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
Well, some of you may think I am nutso, but today was my last swim for about 3 weeks.  I am getting my tattoo tomorrow.  I did receive my bike in the mail yesterday, so that's where my focus will be.  I was messing around yesterday and ran like seriously 5 steps and my dumb stress fracture hurts for the first time in about 2 weeks.  So lame.  I am strictly not going to run for the next three weeks either, giving myself plenty of healing time.  I will officially be training starting March 7, my birthday.  Guess my focus will be bike, core, maybe check out some fun classes at the new gym (I recently switched for one with a pool.

2011-02-10 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3348328

User image

Greenville, SC
Chaderbox - 2011-02-10 8:58 AM
kerux - 2011-02-09 9:52 PM Rough day here.  I have an infection in my right knee.  Bunch of antibiotics and hopefully it will clear quickly.  If not needles and knives are on deck.

If you want to come by, I'll cut some holes in you and pour some bleach in.  That should clear you right up.

If I thought that would get me back to training quicker I'd be on my way right now.  So far the meds aren't helping.  Starting to get concerned the more aggressive procedures will be needed.
2011-02-10 6:24 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Mike I am so sorry about you knee infection..........how did you contract  it?
2011-02-10 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I am pretty bummed today....
My PT had me try and run today.
It was a no go.
Thirty seconds and way too much pain.

Forgive me in advance whilst i sit in a corner and cry......

2011-02-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3349517

User image

Veteran
aquagirl - 2011-02-10 4:26 PM I am pretty bummed today....
It was a no go.

Unfortunately, I know what you are going thru. Running has been out of the question for the past few weeks since my knee flared up. My PT told me to take a few steps back, get back to walking, and perhaps try running at the end. He said to aim for an hour of walking.

Today I walked to the pool, which took an hour and 17 minutes, swam for 400 meters, and then walked home, or more precisely, to the kids school to pick them up. Another hour and 8 minutes. Altogether it was 13.26 km. On the way back I was running late, so I started running a bit. I would walk to a streetlight, then run to the next one, then walk, and so on. When I ran out of streetlights, I ran a block, walked a block, and so on. Except when it was uphill, and I didn't run.

Who know? Maybe I'll be able to run one day. At this stage, my goal id to be able to run without pain, and swim at least 1500 meters. After that, I'll start thinking about races. Before the operation, I used to bike 60-70 km on the weekend with a friend, and don't think I will have a problem going back to that. As soon as the back stops giving me trouble, I start biking.

By the way, for those looking for goggles, another option is to use a swim mask. I do, and won't go back to goggles ever.

Edited by r1237h 2011-02-10 7:49 PM
2011-02-10 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3349604

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
r1237h - 2011-02-10 8:48 PM
aquagirl - 2011-02-10 4:26 PM I am pretty bummed today....
It was a no go.

Unfortunately, I know what you are going thru. Running has been out of the question for the past few weeks since my knee flared up. My PT told me to take a few steps back, get back to walking, and perhaps try running at the end. He said to aim for an hour of walking.

Today I walked to the pool, which took an hour and 17 minutes, swam for 400 meters, and then walked home, or more precisely, to the kids school to pick them up. Another hour and 8 minutes. Altogether it was 13.26 km. On the way back I was running late, so I started running a bit. I would walk to a streetlight, then run to the next one, then walk, and so on. When I ran out of streetlights, I ran a block, walked a block, and so on. Except when it was uphill, and I didn't run.

Who know? Maybe I'll be able to run one day. At this stage, my goal id to be able to run without pain, and swim at least 1500 meters. After that, I'll start thinking about races. Before the operation, I used to bike 60-70 km on the weekend with a friend, and don't think I will have a problem going back to that. As soon as the back stops giving me trouble, I start biking.

By the way, for those looking for goggles, another option is to use a swim mask. I do, and won't go back to goggles ever.

I was wondering how you were doing  Ron...........

2011-02-10 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3349616

User image

Veteran
aquagirl - 2011-02-10 6:01 PM
I was wondering how you were doing  Ron...........

Right now? Everything hurts. I told my wife that the advantage of walking/running and swimming in the same day is that everything can hurt at the same time in the evening. None of this "the legs hurt today, the arms tomorrow" silliness.....
2011-02-12 12:06 PM

User image

On your right
It's been quiet in here the last couple days.  I hope all is well with everyone, and that training is fun.
2011-02-12 3:33 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I am here!
Edematous and grumpy.....but here. 
2011-02-12 4:25 PM

I had a 5k this morning, finished in 33:45.  Not my slowest 5k time, so I think that's pretty good all considering that I probably shouldn't have been running today.  The leg feels ok, just a little sore for a short bit after the run.  But I have a cold that seems to have taken a firm hold on my chest, and now my stomach is acting up, too.  It's chicken soup, ginger ale, and bed for me for a couple days.
2011-02-12 7:24 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Hi Gang,

Sorry I've been a little quiet lately but this infection is kicking my tail....or at least my knee.  My last visit to the orthopedic doc was Friday and they had to put me on a more potent and higher dose of antibiotic.  Their best guess is some antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.  Lots of redness and swelling but not great mobility.  Hopefully this round of antibiotics will kill it or the next stop is a date with IV antibiotics and a hospital stay.

2011-02-12 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3352098

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
cbredderman - 2011-02-12 5:25 PM I had a 5k this morning, finished in 33:45.  Not my slowest 5k time, so I think that's pretty good all considering that I probably shouldn't have been running today.  The leg feels ok, just a little sore for a short bit after the run.  But I have a cold that seems to have taken a firm hold on my chest, and now my stomach is acting up, too.  It's chicken soup, ginger ale, and bed for me for a couple days.

Congrats on your race Corey!

And take good care of yourself. Not at all unusual to get sick more often when you ramp up your training.....sometimes your immune system protests for a while.  
2011-02-12 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3352251

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kerux - 2011-02-12 8:24 PM Hi Gang,

Sorry I've been a little quiet lately but this infection is kicking my tail....or at least my knee.  My last visit to the orthopedic doc was Friday and they had to put me on a more potent and higher dose of antibiotic.  Their best guess is some antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.  Lots of redness and swelling but not great mobility.  Hopefully this round of antibiotics will kill it or the next stop is a date with IV antibiotics and a hospital stay.

Mike, what does he have you on? Ancef?
If they need you on IV antibiotics, you will not necessarily need a hospital stay, that can often be done on an out patient basis. At least thats how they do it here. 
But lets ASSUME that the stronger oral meds will get you better quick.
I am so sorry you are suffering......... 
2011-02-13 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3352328

User image

On your right
Yeah, there are options for outpatient IV antibiotic therapy.  With the insertion of a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) you can even be trained to do it yourself.  My grandfather had that when he had an infection one time.
2011-02-13 3:50 PM

So much for my long run today.  It's warmed up around (50 degrees, whoo hoo!) here and I was really looking forward to getting outside and running all weekend.  Well I caught my husband's cold so I am stuck inside feeling miserable.  The only good thing is it's supposed to stay this way all week so hopefully I can still get that long run later this week.
2011-02-13 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3352981

User image

On your right
Don't turn yourself inside out over one or two missed runs.  If you don't get yourself rested and recovered, you could drag out your being sick for longer, and have more workouts of lesser quality.

2011-02-13 7:18 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Going to be a bit of devils advocate here...........its also ok to run WITH a cold. I would not do a long run or anything, but a bit of exercise will not hurt. But only if you feel up to it , obviously.
Best thing is to learn to listen very carefully to what your body is telling you........ 
2011-02-14 7:04 AM

User image

On your right
Yes, of course you're right, Helen.  I was speaking more to if you have a long/hard workout planned, and you just feel like crap, that you can bag it and not need to beat yourself up.  You can always do a less intense workout. 

If you recall, I mentioned this a few pages ago with the snot in the pool thing. 
2011-02-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3353629

User image

New user
Chaderbox - 2011-02-14 6:04 AM Yes, of course you're right, Helen.  I was speaking more to if you have a long/hard workout planned, and you just feel like crap, that you can bag it and not need to beat yourself up.  You can always do a less intense workout. 

If you recall, I mentioned this a few pages ago with the snot in the pool thing

I like how you brought it back. 

Weather awesome here over the weekend, toddler super sick.  We're talking stomach AND snot.  She has wanted nothing to do with anything but being glued to me (so, so very unusual for her.)  During her brief nap yesterday I got my new bike out and took it for a really quick spin.  Let's just say, I may have found a new Valentine.  I've never ridden a road bike, and I am sure I looked like a gorilla on it, trying to figure out how it works and such, but I think I'm in love.  Pilates at home today, probably gym workout tomorrow, hope to be back to spin on Wed.  Pretty sure my little girl may make it back to gym childcare by then?  It is still dark when DH is home (and before he leaves in the morning) so it will be a few weeks of weekend-only rides until it gets lighter earlier.  Anyone have advice on how to go about getting started on the bike?  Do I go by time?  Distance?  Just realized that I don't really know what I'm doing at all.....
2011-02-14 9:29 AM

User image

On your right

You can go by either time or distance, OR by both.  Either way, it's a good idea to keep track of each of those things, even if you aren't specifically using them for your training.  Some programs will say "60 minute ride" others might say "25 mile ride." 

A super useful too to have on your bike is a cycling computer.  It will give you very helpful information depending on the model you have.  Some of the more useful features that I would look for are RPM, odometer, mph (Kmph), time. 

RPM is useful so you can track what cadence feels bets for you.  Many people think that you should be spinning at 80rpm or greater for your normal riding, BUT never higher that 120 in a sprint situation.  Some people are a little higher on the 80 range, and they are "spinners" and some people are lower, and they are "mashers."  A spinner tends to use a little lower gear, and has a higher turnover, where a masher uses a bigger gear and has a slower turnover.  It's all about finding what you're comfortable with.  Now that being said, it's usually more helpful to spin up a hill, because it's easier on your legs to be in a smaller gear.

Also, the RPM is very helpful for cycling workouts and interval sessions.

Helen being the bike star will likely be much more useful on the biking parts than I am.

2011-02-14 5:50 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Felt like dog excrement and my knee felt like some one was whacking it with a machete and my time was awful but at least I made it to the pool today.  Doc said I wouldn't infect anyone else since I didn't have any open lesions but would still suggest a prophylactic antibiotic if you are going to swim at the GHS life center....just sayin'. 

2011-02-15 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3355076

User image

On your right
kerux - 2011-02-14 6:50 PM Felt like dog excrement and my knee felt like some one was whacking it with a machete and my time was awful but at least I made it to the pool today.  Doc said I wouldn't infect anyone else since I didn't have any open lesions but would still suggest a prophylactic antibiotic if you are going to swim at the GHS life center....just sayin'. 

Good thing I go to the good gym in town then. 
2011-02-15 1:46 PM

User image

Cincinnati
I did a splash and dash this weekend.  Turned in a better time than I thought on the swim, 500m in 7:09, but slower on the run than I hoped.  30:22 for a 5K.

So I have a question, what can I do to get faster on the run?  I am sure it has a lot to do with my conditioning, which I am working on.  But besides that, would it be good to integrate some sprint intervals into my runs?  I normally just run at a constant speed until I tire myself out.
2011-02-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3356428

User image

On your right
dughogue - 2011-02-15 2:46 PM I did a splash and dash this weekend.  Turned in a better time than I thought on the swim, 500m in 7:09, but slower on the run than I hoped.  30:22 for a 5K.

So I have a question, what can I do to get faster on the run?  I am sure it has a lot to do with my conditioning, which I am working on.  But besides that, would it be good to integrate some sprint intervals into my runs?  I normally just run at a constant speed until I tire myself out.

The only real answer here is "run more."  However, depending on your base, and your abilities, how you go about that differes.

The general rule of thumb is that if you've been running consistantly for less than 1 year, no speed work is advised.  You would be better off running more often, but at a similar intensity.  So before I start giving out too much advice, how many MPW (miles per week) are you running now, and for how long have you been running that mileage?
2011-02-15 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3356509

User image

Cincinnati
Starting last June, I was running anywhere from 3 to 18 miles a week.  18 was a one time thing, and my longest run at that time was ~6K that I did when I ran to work.  This tapered off in Dec and I picked back up about three weeks ago. 

Going back further, I have been a swimmer since I was 6-7, played and wrestled in high school.  So the most running I have ever done was in wrestling practice.  In between high school and last year, 10 years for whoevers counting, I would run very intermittedly at the gym.

Whenever I am running after swimming or biking I tend to start really slow, and after a mile or so I can speed up a bit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19