Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-01-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

Hello Everyone. 

No workout yesterday or today for me.  Stayed home sick from work today, this cold is a killer. Hoping to get a light spin workout and some swimming done tomorrow after work, but we will see.  Need to rest up for my 8k on Saturday!!

2012-01-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3986801

User image

kmatt318 - 2012-01-13 2:58 AM

Reading everyone's comments about the Spinervals DVD's I think I will have to invest in them myself.  Living in NC I am able to get out most of the time.  But with dark coming earlier and long cycling workouts planned, I think doing a DVD will help me when I can not get outside during the day and need to workout at night. 

I am getting ready to go on vacation.  We are going on a cruise.  I am super excited.  We went two years ago and I am so ready for some "out of contact" time.  No cell phone, no email, no computer.  awwwww.  I think my boss may go crazy.  

I will be able to run on the ship, but I am not sure about cycling and even if I can, I do not think I will be spinning hours on the bike.  I will get some swimming in.  I am sure it will not be laps but for me any swimming is progress.  

I will post my workouts when I return. 

Jealous! Have fun

2012-01-12 8:50 PM

User image

New user

I tried to take a night off, but I just couldn't do it.  I ended up doing a 4+ mile run on the treadmill and found that I can run faster than I thought I could before I hit my threshold.  Hopefully this is a result of all the cycling I've been doing since I've been finding that I can cover more distance on the trainer in the Spinerval DVD's while my avg HR has been lower.  Maybe it's carrying over to my running as well?

Also, I sometimes tape my knee or ankle depending on how it's been feeling with KT Tape (I've shattered my ankle, as well as had multiple knee surgeries on both knees).  Have any of you taped a body part for a triathlon?  Does it stay on through the swim and while peeling a wetsuit off?  I know when I do something where I'll be sweating a lot, I use hairspray on my skin before I put the tape on and after to help it stick and stay.  I'd assume I'd have to do the same but don't know how it would work for an event like this.  Any suggestions?

Tomorrow I'll definitely be off for training since I'm working 24 hours.

Shane

2012-01-12 11:59 PM

User image

The tape should stay on Shane. I've seen plenty of people at triathlons will tape in all manner of places.

Checked out the sufferfest stuff, looks good! I'll have to see if any of my local stores have either in stock. I'm not in any rush, still need to get a trainer for indoors

Shoulder surgery tomorrow! No cycling/running for a month and no swimming for 3mths eeeeek. At least i can walk....

If i'm not on for a bit, good luck in all your training everyone and Tyler good luck for your run on the weekend!

2012-01-13 5:45 AM

User image

New user
Good luck with your surgery today!
2012-01-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3987539

User image

Dallas, TX
firemedic001918 - 2012-01-12 8:50 PM

Also, I sometimes tape my knee or ankle depending on how it's been feeling with KT Tape (I've shattered my ankle, as well as had multiple knee surgeries on both knees).  Have any of you taped a body part for a triathlon?  Does it stay on through the swim and while peeling a wetsuit off?  I know when I do something where I'll be sweating a lot, I use hairspray on my skin before I put the tape on and after to help it stick and stay.  I'd assume I'd have to do the same but don't know how it would work for an event like this.  Any suggestions?

I have far to much experience with taping!!  It should stay on during swimming, wetsuit removal, etc.  I think that Rock tape works better than the other brands I have tried.

2012-01-13 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Started out the morning meeting a friend at the pool. Good motivation to get myself there. Tried to work on some of the drills my swim coach taught us in my clinic last Sunday. I realized one of my issues is likely that I rotate my body on the side I breathe, but not in the other direction.

Hoping to also get in a run this afternoon if I have time, then will try out my two hour Spinervals workout this weekend. It's supposed to be pretty brutal! Speaking of the weekend, let's all wish Tyler luck in his 8K tomorrow!

Hubbie - I always feel like I'm going to puke after a good run, so I'd say you're doing it right! Are you finding flip turns help your swim workout? They came up at the end of our swim clinic last weekend, but I've never been motivated to learn them, since I'm really only interested in learning skills that will ultimately help me in a race. Flip turns or not is a big controversy in the triathlon world...

Ken - Have a great vacation! Planning cruise based workouts is some serious motivation. I guess you're going to have to do something to burn off all of that buffet food though!

Tyler - Hope you've managed to shake that cold, and good luck tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing your race report once you're done.

Shane - Last summer, I found that increased bike fitness led to increased running fitness, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case for you as well. Specifically, I was able to run as strongly, if not more so, as I had when I was marathon training, but with significantly less miles per week. As far as the tape is concerned, it sounds like most people think it should stay. You could always test it out in the pool one day to at least find out how well it continues to stick once wet.

Frances - Good luck with your surgery! Wishing you a speedy recovery and hopefully you'll come out of this much stronger.

Edited by KiterChick 2012-01-13 11:19 AM
2012-01-13 2:24 PM

User image

Expert

Unfortunately this cold took a turn for the worse and is not getting any better, so I have decided not to do the race tomorrow.  This is a huge disappointment to me, I just don't think that I should go outside and run tomorrow in 14 degree weather, just probably wouldn't be the best idea for me.

Hoping to get back into the gym though!

2012-01-13 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran

RushTogether-I hope you get to feeling better soon. Taking your self out of the race is probably for the best. I did a race last November, Living History Farm Off Road Race, and I mean its off road! We went through feilds, woods, reviens, ditches, and seven mid leg deep ice cold creeks. I was sick that day but refused to listen to my body. Ended up finishing with a less then desirable time and ended up being sick for another two weeks afterwards! Better just to loose a day or two instead of a few weeks!

On a positive note I finished up my second week on the spin bike using the same podcast from Greg Cook. I am happy to announce that for the first time my rear and my legs don't feel like their going to kill me. I even hit it harder today than I did before.

Hopeing these gains will translate over to when I get my bike back and I use the Spinervals DVD's.

2012-01-14 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3989060

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Hey Tyler, sorry to hear you had to pull out of the race, but I think your decision was right. There will e other races in the future, don't worry.

Today I kept up with my training and I am feeling pretty good, I went for a 12-mile run (slow pace and an RPE of 3-4). I am still waiting on the swimming, because even though they took the stitches out of my eyebrow, it is still somewhat swollen and I don't want to deal with the pressure from the goggles just yet. Hopefully I'll be ready by Monday. If that's the case, in the next 3 weeks I am going to do 4 swims a week (with 3 runs and 2 bike rides / spins) since I have to get ready for my swim meet Valentine's weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sebastian

2012-01-14 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth

Sebastian - totally impressed that your accident seems to have only motivated you more.  I guess it's true that the most important part of falling is getting back up.  You're a beast!

8 mile run for me today followed by an ice bath.  I was very happy to be able to get that done based on some not so stellar mid-week runs and a skipped run due to some ankle pain.

2012-01-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3988570

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

It has been brutal in my house the last few days- my wife and I both picked up a bug from our daughter this week, so we have been the walking dead for the last few days.  Although I woke up from a nap yesterday afternoon to find my daughter covering me up with a blanket before she went to bed (two is such a cute age).

Nevertheless- back to some light workouts tomorrow.  Perhaps an early am swim.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2012-01-15 9:56 AM

User image

Expert

I've lost 16 lbs!!!!

Nothing else to report, but I am sooo excited with that number!!!

2012-01-15 11:21 AM

User image

New user

Congrats on the weight loss!  Way to go.  I haven't been losing weight but my clothes are all fitting looser.  I'm hoping that once I get outside for some longer rides/runs the weight will come off again since I was about ten pounds lighter last year.  I just have a limit for when I'm on the trainer or treadmill before I'm bored to tears and ready to get off of them.  

Managed to get to the gym this morning for a quick run on the treadmill.  A personal best 5K time.  I went off my footpod for pace/distance rather than the treadmill itself.  Definitely happy to be making some progress.  Hopefully this pace carries over onto the road once it gets warm out again!

Shane

2012-01-15 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hope everyone has been having a great weekend. I didn't report in yesterday, but since I took the day off, there really wasn't much to say regardless. Got on the trainer for a two hour workout today. That was rough! I was definitely lagging in the final set. At least I have a tangible element to improve upon in the future.

Tyler - Sorry you had to skip your race, but it's definitely more important to take care of your health than push yourself when you're sick. Congrats on the weight loss to date, that's awesome! I'm glad you're seeing results for all of the hard work you've been putting in.

Hubbie - How long until you get your bike back? It seems like it's been out of the game for a while. Sounds like you're putting the spin bike to work in the meantime at least.

Sebastian - I hadn't even thought about how uncomfortable goggles would be with eyebrow stitches. I don't blame you at all for taking some more time off for that. Hope things heal up quickly. In the meantime, great job jumping back in with the 12M run!

Dan - Do you notice ice baths help your recovery a lot? I've of course heard all about people using them, but I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to anything cold, so I've never tried them. This year would definitely be a good year to change that though if they are really beneficial...

Will - That has got to be rough with the entire house being sick. Get better soon! That's cute about your daughter though. I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time with such an attentive nurse!

Shane - I'm not losing weight now either, but I'm not gaining so I suppose I can't complain too much. As you mentioned, I'm sure we'll both start inching down again once we get outside on a regular basis. Congrats on the 5K PR!

2012-01-15 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Got my bike back today!!!! I'm excited to get off the spin bike. I've come to realize the main reasons I don't like the spin bike at the gym are the saddle is uncomfortable and it's hot in the room their in. The saddle is wider than my bikes and I feel like my legs are being splayed outward and it hurts my hips and knees. The bikes are also in the back of the cardio room so there are no fans to blow on me.

The HIM I want to do rules say the a wetsuit is allowed but it has to be sleeveless and can't extend past the knees. So what brand of this style do others have and what do they think of them? Also i know wetsuits can be trimmed but how do I do that? Would it be better to get a sleeveless with full legs and trim the legs as needed or get one with short legs?

Congrats to everyone for keeping at training despite illness injury and being tired. Keep up the great work!

2012-01-15 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3991394

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Got a run in today, a quick little 5K on the treadmill at the gym.  Its way too cold o run outside for me today.  This was my first treadmill run in a long time, and I still hate it.  Oh well, a necessary evil sometimes.

On the plus side, I feel much better.  Still have a really sore throat, but that I can deal with it.

For those of you track nutrition, how do you do it?  Is there a website or a log somewhere that everyone uses, or is just more of a manual process.  I'm not fanatical about what I eat or drink (beer, wine, bourbon- I love them all!), but my nutrition always seems to work itself out; however I would like to start to understand it so that I can make some improvements.

Will

2012-01-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3990446

User image

Veteran
Tampa
netzer0 - 2012-01-14 4:46 PM

Sebastian - totally impressed that your accident seems to have only motivated you more.  I guess it's true that the most important part of falling is getting back up.  You're a beast!

Thanks Dan, I am indeed even more motivated. I love this sport, and not being able to train for a few days makes you realize how lucky you are when you can train!

RushTogether - 2012-01-15 10:56 AM

I've lost 16 lbs!!!!

Way to go! That is truly impressive, keep it up and hope you get better soon.

KiterChick - 2012-01-15 2:01 PM

Sebastian - I hadn't even thought about how uncomfortable goggles would be with eyebrow stitches. I don't blame you at all for taking some more time off for that. Hope things heal up quickly. In the meantime, great job jumping back in with the 12M run!

I am jumping in the pool tomorrow, I figured that the pain from the goggles can't be more than the psychological pain of not being able to swim with a meet 4 weeks away! :P 

By the way, I did an hour on the trainer today. I hate it, but I really wanted to watch the NFL games, so I had to compromise.

williemc432 - 2012-01-15 5:15 PM

For those of you track nutrition, how do you do it?  Is there a website or a log somewhere that everyone uses, or is just more of a manual process.  I'm not fanatical about what I eat or drink (beer, wine, bourbon- I love them all!), but my nutrition always seems to work itself out; however I would like to start to understand it so that I can make some improvements.

Will

Hey Will, I am not tracking right now, but in 2011 I tracked for several months and lost 60 lbs doing that. I use livestrong, the website it pretty good as is the iphone app. I know that BT has tracking to, but I have not looked into it and I know that their iphone app does not have the tracking feature. If I were you I would check livestrong out and see if you like it. Good luck!

2012-01-15 7:14 PM

User image

New user
Bad weekend for me, girlfriend been in hospital since Thursday morning, managed to get in a few workouts on the trainer before visiting but nothing structured, diet been a disgrace too not had time to eat anything but take away.
2012-01-15 11:52 PM
in reply to: #3991394

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
KiterChick - 2012-01-15 1:01 PM

Dan - Do you notice ice baths help your recovery a lot? I've of course heard all about people using them, but I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to anything cold, so I've never tried them. This year would definitely be a good year to change that though if they are really beneficial...

I always do one after my long run of the week.  I definitely can tell the difference in my recovery.  The trick for us wusses is to fill the tub with cold water, get in, and THEN add the ice.  I also make something hot to drink like tea or coffee.  15 minutes and my legs always thanks me afterwards.

2012-01-15 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3991212

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
RushTogether - 2012-01-15 9:56 AM

I've lost 16 lbs!!!!

Nothing else to report, but I am sooo excited with that number!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-01-16 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, no workouts to report today, but I don't have any social plans tomorrow, so I should hopefully get back on the wagon then!

Hubbie - Yay for getting your bike back! As for the wetsuit issue, first I'd say double check that the restrictions you read are all encompassing. I've never heard of a HIM that didn't allow wetsuits under most conditions. Usually, they're only restricted above a certain water temp and/or for award eligibility, which, if you didn't think you were going to qualify for an award, wouldn't affect you. If they are in fact completely restricted, you should contact the race director to make sure that cutting a full length suit is legal. Generally, sleeveless short suits, referred to as speed suits, are designed to be faster than general tri clothing, but don't necessarily have the buoyancy that full suits do. If that is what they are trying to discourage, cutting a full suit would likely not be allowed.

Will - There was no way I was running outside yesterday either, and I'm generally pretty willing to run in a lot of crazy conditions. As for your calorie counting question, you should find what works for you. As Sebastian mentioned, he liked LiveStrong and it was clearly successful for him. Conversely, I've never been able to stick to online tracking, as I tend to get annoyed that they don't have certain foods, or some other such reason, so if I do track, I find manual tracking is better suited for my needs. Give the online route a chance, but if you find you're having issues sticking to it, drop to manual and see if that works better for your needs.

Sebastian - Did you get in a swim today? If so, how did those googles feel? I cringe every time I think about it. You're definitely hardcore!

Chris - Hope everything is okay with your girlfriend. Regardless, I can see why you'd have trouble sticking to training/eating well. Hope everything stabilizes out soon!

Dan - Thanks for the ice bath input. I'll definitely have to give it a try soon, with a big cup of hot tea next to me!

Have a great evening everyone. I'm off to carbo load. Beer has tons of carbs!

2012-01-16 7:09 PM

User image

New user

I've never really tracked my nutrition like I probably should.  I find that when I do that it becomes to restrictive and too much like "work" to really do it accurately.  I'm sure it would be beneficial.  I just try to eat a balanced diet and everything in moderation.  Although I have been known to over indulge from time to time!

Still making progress on the bike.  I find that I'm really only good for about an hour on the trainer or about 30-45 minutes on the treadmill before I'm bored to tears and ready to get out.  I think I need warmer weather to hit before I can really focus on the longer distance stuff.  The Olympic I plan to do isn't until July and the HIM isn't until August, so I think I'll be able to really build volume in the spring.  In the meantime I'm focusing a lot on the sprint length training.  It's less than ideal, but it works with daylight hours and my attention span to sit in one spot.  I still feel like I'm getting good workouts in and seem to be setting new limits for myself.  I'm hopeful that it will all carry over onto the real rides, runs and swims as well as provide a great base to add volume to when the weather hits!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Shane

2012-01-17 5:22 AM

User image

Expert

Question for you all.  We all know I am on this weight loss journey, and I am very very happy with the results thus far.  That being said, when is the best time to 'weigh-in'?  Currently I am doing it on Sunday mornings.  According the scale Sunday, I had lost 16lbs.  I got on yesterday morning and had gained almost 3 of that back.  I realize that a lot is water weight and what not, but when is the best time to weigh in, if there is one??

2012-01-17 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3993574

User image

Veteran
Tampa
KiterChick - 2012-01-16 5:31 PM

Sebastian - Did you get in a swim today? If so, how did those googles feel? I cringe every time I think about it. You're definitely hardcore!

Wasn't the best, but I'll take it. Actually the main problem is that something broke at the pool and the water was freezing. Even after swimming for 30 minuets I had trouble with the temperature. They are draining the pool Thursday, so hopefully they will get it resolved over the weekend! The goggles bothered me a little but they were not really painful. More uncomfortable was one of the scabs in my hand pulling off skin and starting to rip while I was swimming, and also, I had a waterproof pad on my shoulder, which started coming off after 15 minutes of pushing off the walls hard Anyway, with all these issues, I had to cut the workout short, so I only got 1500 meters in over a little less than 30 minutes. The good news is that they were not junk meters. I did quite a bit of IM, and some sets to improve technique, such as pulling breast, if you've never tried it, you should, since it's HARD!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22