BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-03-14 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Maria, so happy for you!!  The first of many finish lines for you, I hope.  For me, the run is the last to feel adequate in and I am still struggling with it but I just keep doing. YOU DID IT!!  That's what matters.

I was told to spray PAM or other cooking spray on your legs and arms.  It worked for me in Atlanta.  Really hard to not put a hole in it.  I just keep my nails short and use my finger pads like someone else said.

2012-03-14 4:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maria - awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
2012-03-14 4:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
ROFLMAO - you all crack me up. Love this group!!!!
2012-03-14 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations Maria, you did it!!!! Here is to many more finish lines!

Oh boy, I need to get up and check my wet suit as I was told to drape it over the hanger in the off season.  Haven't checked on it since putting it in the closet so I hope it doesn't have a crease.  Good information on how to hang it.  

I tired the plastic bag thing and it really doesn't seem to work for me.  I was going to say maybe it is that my suit ends on my calf as even with a men's tall suit it still looks like my suit is shorter then everyone else.

2012-03-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4096308

Regular
Fit4Infinity - 2012-03-14 3:06 PM

It's very easy to put little holes in the suit with your finger nails when pulling the suit on.  You'll want to hold onto the suit by pinching folds of the suit with the flats of you fingers. Think more like - pulling up nylons, less like pulling on your skinny jeans.  Not that I would know anything about nylons.  Just saying.....

Storing your suit.... I took a heavy plastic hanger and covered the top with 2" foam pipe insulation from Home Depot.  The foam I wrapped with duct tape.  This protects the shoulder and neck area of the suit from stretching.  In my world the suit spends alot more time in the closet than in the lake.  The bit of foam left over I attached to the top of the shower down.  When the suit is not in the lake or the closet it hangs over the shower door dripping water.  Folds in neoprene tend to become permanent creases or thin spots.  I rented suits for 3 months and saw what abused suits looks like.

Billy am I missing anything?

Are you saying your shower is always dripping so your wetsuit that is somehow connected to your shower stays moisturized?I am impressed.

My plan was to throw it on the bottom of my closet in the bag it came in.  I guess I should be revising that plan, and fit it nicely on a hanger or lay it flat; maybe rotating it once in a while.  

Man, this wetsuit care is more involved than I thought!!!Cool

Edited by pedmpa 2012-03-14 9:36 PM
2012-03-14 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4096308

User image

Expert
Fit4Infinity - 2012-03-14 2:06 PM

It's very easy to put little holes in the suit with your finger nails when pulling the suit on.  You'll want to hold onto the suit by pinching folds of the suit with the flats of you fingers. Think more like - pulling up nylons, less like pulling on your skinny jeans.  Not that I would know anything about nylons.  Just saying.....

Storing your suit.... I took a heavy plastic hanger and covered the top with 2" foam pipe insulation from Home Depot.  The foam I wrapped with duct tape.  This protects the shoulder and neck area of the suit from stretching.  In my world the suit spends alot more time in the closet than in the lake.  The bit of foam left over I attached to the top of the shower down.  When the suit is not in the lake or the closet it hangs over the shower door dripping water.  Folds in neoprene tend to become permanent creases or thin spots.  I rented suits for 3 months and saw what abused suits looks like.

Billy am I missing anything?

I don't know, still hung up thinking that you didn't disclaim knowing about "skinny jeans" like you did nylons.  Skinny jeans, bikes named after Lance, am I on the correct site?

2012-03-14 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Just wanted everyone to know, I AM GETTING PEPPERED, I AM GETTING PEPPER!!!!!
2012-03-14 10:20 PM

Regular

Thanks for all the wet suit tips... 

Do you put them on in your hotel or house before you leave for the race or at the race venue?  In case of the latter I may need to get there an hour earlier....

And dare I ask what you do with it after you peel it off in T1 in a race?  Just leave it where it falls or turn it lovingly back inside out and do something "caring for it"?  

Edited by pedmpa 2012-03-14 10:33 PM
2012-03-15 8:41 AM

User image

Expert

Ahh, the wetsuit.  They are hard to get one and they do take some extra TLC.  I actually have 2 (one I got when I fundraised through Team in Training).  One hangs on a thick hanger in my closet and doesn't get worn any more.  My good one lives under my bed laying flat on the ground.  

Between seasons my wetsuit doesn't get worn, so when it's time to wear it again, I usually soak it in the bathtub before trying to put it on for the first time that season.  I don't get too many opportunities to wear my wetsuit here in Texas, but I'm glad I have it.

I wait to put my wetsuit on until I get to the race site, but I can't say that I've ever been at a hotel right by the start either.  If I was, I would probably put it on in the room and walk to the start.

Depending on how your race is set up will determine what you do with it in T1.  For most races (other than IMs) your transition stuff is all at the bike spot, so when your suit is off, you just leave it there until you are done racing.  How neatly you want to leave it is up to you and how quickly you want to get in/out of T1.  In Ironman races, you will go into the change tent and either you or a volunteer will shove your wetsuit into the transition bag.  You'll pick the bag up after the race.

Definitely practice swimming in your wetsuit before the race.

2012-03-15 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4096977

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
pedmpa - 2012-03-14 8:20 PM

Do you put them on in your hotel or house before you leave for the race or at the race venue?  In case of the latter I may need to get there an hour earlier....

And dare I ask what you do with it after you peel it off in T1 in a race?  Just leave it where it falls or turn it lovingly back inside out and do something "caring for it"?  

What I do to get out of my wetsuit is far from 'loving'.  I grab, pull, step-on, tug and kick until I'm free of the loving embrace of my wetsuit.  When it's all over my wetsuit is, inside out, on the ground, in a crumbled heap.  

Strippers are always welcome. 
2012-03-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4097852

User image

Expert
Fit4Infinity - 2012-03-15 12:40 PM
pedmpa - 2012-03-14 8:20 PM

What I do to get out of my wetsuit is far from 'loving'.  I grab, pull, step-on, tug and kick until I'm free of the loving embrace of my wetsuit.  When it's all over my wetsuit is, inside out, on the ground, in a crumbled heap.  

Strippers are always welcome. 

Strippers? Do you  mean in transition or just welcome anytime at all, I might need to come train with you!

2012-03-15 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Heading out for first outside ride of the year.  It has been warm enough for several weeks but was using the trainer to get the best bang for the buck.  Will check back in to let everyone know how I fared!
2012-03-15 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hey all.  I am officially frustrated.  Because of the pain in my right hip flexor, I rested from running (and biking) for 3 days (Did some strength and swimming)  After three days, I got on the treadmill for an easy 4 mile run.  Did Galloway 3:1.  Felt no pain until about 20 minutes.  Then it was back. It started on the side of the hip and wrapped around to the front, low, right to the hip flexor.  I have had left sciatica pain for years but never anything on the right side. (Exercise has reduced my left sided sciatica pain almost completely)  the next day, I did any easy 3.5 mile run outside, again 3:1 and had pain the whole way and painfull walking afterward.  So now what?  My gut tells me more rest is needed, like maybe a week.  Today I did strength and elliptical.  No pain on the elliptical what so ever!! (For the record, no pain doing strength either.) So I am thinking to try the bike trainer tomorrow, only proceed if no pain and bounce back and forth to the elliptical and of course swimming, give it a week and try running again.  If the pain comes back again I guess it is off to the doctor.  The pain is bad and it is tender to the touch.  I am stretching it per Billy. I found some good stretches on line and of course I am taking ibuprophen.  My HM is April 15th and I have already done almost 10 miles so I think I have enough under my belt.  What do you all think?

With that all said, I think I am ready to become a Gold member and find some good training plans for the Oly I want to do which is early June.  I have been hesitant to register because it is a hilly course and I struggle on hills big time.  And with this pain????  I have the Oly planned for early June, one in late June, a Sprint in mid July and an Oly in Sept.  Some recreational long bike rides mixed in.  Assuming I resolve this hip flexor problem, does that sound doable?

Thanks for all of your help!!

2012-03-15 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Outdoor ride went well.  Trainer training has paid off.  More info in my logs.
2012-03-15 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Strippers made me laugh uncontrollable at my HIM last year...It was the best part of the race.  

Ann, I am sorry to hear about your hip.  You mention that it is tender to the touch...that sounds like to me it is time to go to the doctor as it could be a stress fracture.

Billy, glad to hear you had a great bike ride.  I am sure Carmen was glad to be outside.  

2012-03-16 10:19 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Ann... agree with Kathy on the Doc visit...seems like all you can do is make it worse without knowing what it is..

Billy.... ahhhh... Carmen got some Sunshine!!  I am sure she appreciated it!!  Glad you got a good ride in.

Demi just sat in the garage and stared at me with those "eyes"... whooo hooo... Lol

monte

2012-03-16 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Carmen is working on her tan!
2012-03-16 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4098571

User image

Veteran
Long Island
krazytallchick - 2012-03-15 9:21 PM

Ann, I am sorry to hear about your hip.  You mention that it is tender to the touch...that sounds like to me it is time to go to the doctor as it could be a stress fracture.

I hear you, but it is so much better with rest.  (Rest from running) I did 45 min on the trainer this morning, no pain, did 30 min on the elliptical, no pain.  The tenderness to the touch is better although not gone completely but def better every day.  Don't most of us avoid doctors??  I'm so scared they will say, "Do nothing for a month"  Why go if I know I'm not going to listen to their advice?  I  can live with taking a week off from running. I still think it may those new "running shoes"  I have been wearing my old shoes, although not for the runs.  Maybe another trip to the run shop is called for first. 

Thanks for your concern.

2012-03-17 4:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hey all - I changed my cell number today. Please update my number to 817-999-5540. Thanks - Bryan
2012-03-18 9:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Quiet this weekend. What did everybody do? I have the Dallas Rock n Roll half next weekend.
2012-03-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4101361

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

left.right.repeat - 2012-03-18 10:50 AM Quiet this weekend. What did everybody do? I have the Dallas Rock n Roll half next weekend.

I just got back from the Cincinnati Heart Half Marathon.  So you can put me down for my first finish line.  The race went really well and I'll get a race report up later.

2012-03-18 1:37 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

This past week started out pretty good for training.  I got three rides in by mid-week, and one long (for me) swim (2100 yds), one run, and one strength workout. Thursday and Friday fell apart though, due to some visitors in town from our Philly office (lots of food, beverages, etc.). Went to the beach yesterday with the wife and kids and avoided the mahem of St Paddy's Day in Savannah. Then got another run in - just 4 miles - but I'm hurting a bit today from it.  Hope to get a good bike ride in this afternoon after the rediculous buffet I just ate settles.

irishod - Glad to hear your HM went well. Look forward to reading your race report.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend. The weather here was awesome - sunny and highs in the low 80's.

2012-03-18 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Irishod, great job!!  Glad you had a good run.  Looking forward to my first finish line.

Bentwice, sounds like you had a solid week.  Think of what you did not what you didn't.  I had baked Reuben macaroni and cheese yesterday!! Corned beef, three types of cheeses, milk, sourkraut and it goes on and on.  It was delicious!!  A Rachael Ray recipe if anyone wants to tempt a heart attack.  A had a good ride outside today and yesturday.  Like Billy, I feel like the trainer has paid off.  A little faster on 2 frequently ridden routes.  No pain in the hip! Yeah.  Hope to try running again mid week.  I hope the fat in the mac and cheese didn't have time to settle in any arteries!!  Weather is awesome here on Long Island also!!

Hope everyone is having a great week end!!

2012-03-18 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Thanks Benttwice and Avisser. I have a race report up now for anyone interested. Just click on my race button.
2012-03-18 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations Irishod on your Half Marathon!!

Put me down for another finish line, yep, I finished the Shamrock Half Marathon this morning.  (Race report to come later).  More importantly the hubby finished his 1st half marathon.  I am so happy for him!!!!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57