BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-07-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Swim question - I saw (or read) somewhere that in order for me to get more parallel in the water, I need to bring my head down (chin closer to chest). This did work. Then I signed up for some swim lessons with someone that is highly recommended and does great in her own races and was a college swim team coach. She said to "see the catch" and wanted me to raise my head more and be more at an angle when swimming. Tonight, as I was swimming, I was told by another very good swimmer that I need to bring my head down to become more parallel (read - get my butt up). What do you all do/think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have only been swimming 1.5 years. I am willing to try anything as my swim speed is just barely what I need to make the cut off for the ironman. I would like to know what is right and learn it before learning the wrong way and it becoming a hard habit to break.

2013-07-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Regular
I do not know the answer, but try a few 500 yd TTs with both head positions. This may tell you which is better for your stroke.
2013-07-01 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
I posted my race results: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Due to my calf recovery, my goal was to have a good swim and push the bike hard and let the run play out. I had an average swim; need to work on sighting. The bike was solid, for me. The run was pretty good; albeit very painfull from the start!

I placed 6/38 in AG and 42/409 OA!

Todd
2013-07-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Expert
Michelle - I think the general thought with head position is that the higher you raise your head the more your lower torso has a tenancy to drop which makes sense if you think about it. It is hard to tell how your head position should be without seeing it. Maybe you are on both extremes and might just need to find the middle ground.

If you are trying to improve your body position and get more parrallel then you might want to try the Chest Lean drill. I got this from the IronFit book and it has really helped my positioning over the past two years:
----------------------------------------------
Wearing fins, kick with your face down, chin pointed to the bottom of the pool and your hands held closely to your side. These are the key set up points: a) position your head so that the water breaks on top of your head and not your forehead; b) lean on your chest; c) raise your hips up to the surface of the water. Your "seat" or butt should be slightly above the surface.

When you need to take a breath, lift your head and breathe to the front. When you do this, you will find that your hips and legs will drop down low in the water. To reestablish your original position, keep your hands at your sides and follow the points above.

This drill will help correct poor body position. It teaches you to maintain a low head position in the water, to press down with your upper body, and to bring your legs and hips to the surface. The drill teaches you to maintain this position while swimming without having to think about it. this should be your ultimate aim: to maintain efficient body position automatically.
------------------------------------------------

I would suggest doing 50 to 100Y of this each swim workout until it becomes automatic and you start to feel when you are getting out of position during your swims. If you feel it just go back to how it feels during this drill and it should correct your issues.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know how it works out.

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

Swim question - I saw (or read) somewhere that in order for me to get more parallel in the water, I need to bring my head down (chin closer to chest). This did work. Then I signed up for some swim lessons with someone that is highly recommended and does great in her own races and was a college swim team coach. She said to "see the catch" and wanted me to raise my head more and be more at an angle when swimming. Tonight, as I was swimming, I was told by another very good swimmer that I need to bring my head down to become more parallel (read - get my butt up). What do you all do/think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have only been swimming 1.5 years. I am willing to try anything as my swim speed is just barely what I need to make the cut off for the ironman. I would like to know what is right and learn it before learning the wrong way and it becoming a hard habit to break.
2013-07-01 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Great race - you are right your transitions are fast! The bouys were spaced far apart and it actually got pretty choppy out there which might have contributed to your sighting issues. Do you use any anti-fog on your goggles before you race.

Congrats on the great finish!

Originally posted by ettringite23

I posted my race results: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Due to my calf recovery, my goal was to have a good swim and push the bike hard and let the run play out. I had an average swim; need to work on sighting. The bike was solid, for me. The run was pretty good; albeit very painfull from the start!

Todd
2013-07-02 8:37 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Regular
Does that anti-fogging agent actually work? If so, I will buy some immediately

2013-07-02 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Michelle, listen to Tim as he knows what he is talking about. I did the swim test on 5-1 and my avg 100 was 1:49, started working on the drills that IronFit talks about and on 5-17 redid the test and my time dropped down to 1:41. Completed the test again yesterday and i dropped down to 1:38. Those drills is what really helped me as well as thinking of the catch as trying to climb a ladder for some reason I couldn't get the arm around the barrel thing.

This morning I ran my slowest 5 miles in a long time. I have been working on staying in Z2 while running and I have but it seems that my times are getting slower instead of faster when I am in Z2. Feeling very frustrated!!!!!!!
2013-07-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
YES!! - The anti fog works great. I like the Aqua Sphere brand the best. Spit will only last you a little bit. I usually put it on the night before and then race morning.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/10238.htm

Edited by tmoran80 2013-07-02 2:39 PM
2013-07-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Expert
Are you getting enough rest and also eating correctly? That could affect your HR.

Originally posted by krazytallchick

This morning I ran my slowest 5 miles in a long time. I have been working on staying in Z2 while running and I have but it seems that my times are getting slower instead of faster when I am in Z2. Feeling very frustrated!!!!!!!
2013-07-03 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
I am heading up to my place in Wisconsin this week. Kind of a bad time since I really feel that I have found that groove over the past two weeks. Tough to get any quality workouts in since I try to spend time with the wife and kids this week and try not to talk triathlon haha.

I usually have internet access up there so I should be checking in. Hope everyone has a great holiday.
2013-07-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4745108

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team. Just checking in to say hello via my iPhone. I really feel bad that I have been neglecting everyone. I got home on Sunday afternoon from my vacation and training session. As you all know I messed up my ankle pretty good 10 days ago now. Finally for to see my chiro and physio today and they are optimistic and have assures me that I don't have any serious structural issues. I have done some swimming and aqua jogging and was going crazy yesterday so I went for a 50 km ride. The ankle was tender but only really hurt clipping in and out. Chiro and Physio have also told me to start doing some short runs and immediately ice. So maybe, just maybe I might be turning the corner but I have a long way to go. All this coupled with the fact that this is moving week for me. My house closes this Friday and I purchased another one that I get possession of this Friday - so I am crazy busy with everything. I am hoping that once this week comes to an end- I get moved- I can try to settle back I to some kind of regular but modified work out routine depending on how the ankle feels. I am starting to worry - so much crap going on and IMMTB is closing fast. I am going to need all your well wishes and good thoughts I think. I am also going to have to stay patient and start really practicing RFP. Thanks for listening team and again, I am sorry I have not been here for everyone.

KC

2013-07-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Happy 4th everyone!

Finalized my bike design scheme down to two choices. Which one do you like?

(My bike option 2.jpg)

(My bike option 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
My bike option 2.jpg (128KB - 14 downloads)
My bike option 1.jpg (118KB - 14 downloads)
2013-07-05 12:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Nice work Todd, congratulations on a great race!

Todd
2013-07-05 12:39 AM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
I like the top one Lori but then I have a thing for lime green, it would look killer with lime green bar tape too!

Originally posted by retiretotri

Happy 4th everyone!

2013-07-05 12:42 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
I have had a crap week, one step forward ten steps back. I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow morning on the bike, and then a swim in the arvo before the pool closes. I hope everyone has a good weekend and enjoys your US holiday!
2013-07-05 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Keep looking forward!

2013-07-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Regular
KC
Best wishes! You have a lot on your plate! Just keep it one day at a time!

Hope for a quick ankle recovery and smooth move!

Todd
2013-07-05 12:34 PM

User image

Chicago
Hello Team,

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

It looks like I tore or pulled my Achillies Tendon. I will know tomorrow. I little frustrated but I know that it was my fault because the doc told me to stop running until it was 100% healed. For now I will rest it but I am sure I will be done racing for a while. I was getting excited about my tri next week and I little nervous but I'll have to wait a little longer to do an Olympic Tri.

Keep Training everyone
2013-07-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gil,

I hope that it was just a tear and not your Achilles Tendon. Listen to your doctor and heal quickly. Hopefully this will not be a set back for your next race.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hello Team,

It looks like I tore or pulled my Achillies Tendon. I will know tomorrow. I little frustrated but I know that it was my fault because the doc told me to stop running until it was 100% healed. For now I will rest it but I am sure I will be done racing for a while. I was getting excited about my tri next week and I little nervous but I'll have to wait a little longer to do an Olympic Tri.

Keep Training everyone
2013-07-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have been staring at the two photos trying to find the difference between them. I finally figured it out and I like the top one with the Lime Green popping out. I am like Simone I have a thing for lime green.

Originally posted by retiretotri

Happy 4th everyone!

2013-07-05 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hang in there KC, perhaps this was a sign that you need to take it easy for a few weeks. Remember don't rush the return on your ankle as we want it to be fully healed and you still have plenty of time.

2013-07-05 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Training question..

On a whim, I ran an uplanned race yesterday (5k). I gave it my all and am sore today: My quads mostly. I had planned for a rigorous, hilly bike ride tonight. Should I forego the ride and swim? or something else?

Thanks,

Todd

PS: 5k PR @ 22:28 (long course).
2013-07-05 11:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
I'd still go for the ride/swim, but cut back on the intensity and make it a recovery ride instead... If you do nothing the DOMS will just be worse tomorrow... and you want to stretch out those sore muscles and get the blood flowing through them again... just my opinion.

Training question..

On a whim, I ran an uplanned race yesterday (5k). I gave it my all and am sore today: My quads mostly. I had planned for a rigorous, hilly bike ride tonight. Should I forego the ride and swim? or something else?

Thanks,

Todd

PS: 5k PR @ 22:28 (long course).
2013-07-05 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Oh and good job on the race too!
2013-07-05 11:21 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Gil - really sorry to hear about your achilles, I hope it is just a slight tear of calf and nothing more. I can understand your frustration, I was like a caged animal when mine was acting up and I couldn't run. In the end the orthotics, self-massage and roller saved mine. Take it easy, I hope you recover quickly. There will be other Olympic tris, just don't disregard doctors orders and start running again too soon or it will never heal.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hello Team,

Keep Training everyone
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28