BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-23 7:26 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming again
Way to go on your swim!! Especially after a long day at work!! I feel your pain on the breathing BUT the more you do it the better and more comfy you will be!! Pretty soon you will be keeping up with Andy Potts! Nothing wrong with back floating or some dog paddling YOU ARE STILL SWIMMING!! What kind of drills are you doing? I love to hear about stuff I am not doing! Please share! Great job!!!!

2014-01-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
hey there! Glad to see you back! sounds like you have been a very busy lady! For fast breakfast I try to do a variety of things or I get tired of oatmeal and eggs myself LOL I love different flavored rice cakes such as Caramel, apple/cinnamon, chocolate ect. and I spread peanut or almond butter with some honey or jelly on top. I also love bananas with peanut butter on top. Another yummy breakfast is whole grain waffles topped with strawberries that I have sliced up and stirred some Truvia in them... I then top that off with sugar free cool whip! Just like IHOP or Dennys but a fraction of the calories! I am also a big smoothie protein fan. They fill me up and keep me going without a bunch of junk in them. I make mine with unsweetened coconut flavored almond milk, whey protein, throw in some peanut or almond butter, some banana or berries ect. I also buy cheap coffee and make a few pots and let it get cold and keep it in the fridge so I can make my own iced coffee drinks with Truvia and my almond milk...throw it in the blender with some Mocha latte flavored Protein powder and you got a healthy Frappuccino! I also have a great (but not so healthy) Orange Julius recipe that I do after a race :-) I also love yogurt with Grape Nuts stirred in and a bagel with cream cheese. I do love Oatmeal, Malt O meal, Cream of Wheat and when I travel overseas I love to eat Porridge! I know it can get boring BUT if you *dress it up* with different toppings it can be a totally different taste! here are some of my favorites for hot cereal toppings!

Raisins and brown sugar
Low-fat granola and skim milk
Currants and golden raisins
Frozen raspberries and blueberries
Raspberry nonfat yogurt and dried cranberries
Apricot fruit spread and sliced almonds
Sliced strawberries and plain nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
Maple flavored pancake syrup and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds
Canned crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts
Strawberry nonfat yogurt and sliced kiwi
Sliced bananas and vanilla nonfat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon
Reduced fat peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread
Chopped dates, raisins, and walnuts
Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground ginger
Diced dried apricots and honey
Apple butter and raisins
Blueberry fruit spread and vanilla or plain nonfat yogurt
Orange marmalade and dried cranberries
Coarsely chopped apple and brown sugar
Reduced fat caramel topping and a sprinkle of chopped pecans
Warm apple pie filling and skim milk
Honey crunch flavor wheat germ and cinnamon
Canned pear slices and maple flavor pancake syrup
Skim milk and sliced peaches
Mixed dried fruit
Cherry preserves and wheat germ
Diced cranberries and maple flavored pancake syrup
Chunky natural applesauce
Sliced bananas and mini-semisweet chocolate morsels
Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar
Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice

Anyways I could talk about food all day long as I love to cook. I cook dinner every night and love to use my crockpot and do freezer cooking and do a lot of meal planning. I hope this has maybe gave you a idea or two for breakfast!!!

NC Turtle Darcie
2014-01-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Cassowary~
First of all I love your user name. I had never seen a Cassowary until we went to Australia for our honeymoon. They are really cool! Anyways great idea with the swim lessons. Swimming is my weakest of the three and I had a hard time finding someone to work with but I made arrangements and took a long trip for a private lesson with a awesome swim coach and she got me started in the right direction. My biggest thing is I need to RELAX and go slow. She had me swimming with fins and a swim snorkel so I can concentrate on one thing at a time. I have never been taught how to freestyle swim and their are soooo many things that need to go on at once to be streamline and smooth. My biggest challenge is breathing and being out of shape does not help! I hope you will share how your lesson goes and I hope you have a positive experience!!

NC Turtle Darcie
2014-01-23 8:18 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

I got back in the pool this morning. This is my first time alone since I took the lessons last week. I brought a printout of the workout and put it inside some document protectors as I knew it would get soaked. I used my fins and snorkel and did drills then I swam (or attempted) freestyle. Now that it has been explained to me how to use the swim clock for the rest pauses and I can finally read the workout I feel like a *real* swimmer LOL I actually loved having a plan instead of just getting in the water, attempting to swim up and down the lane and then hanging on the pool edge until I *felt* it was time to try something else. I plan on swimming tomorrow morning early as I have a busy day all afternoon. I hope you all have had a fantastic week. It is great to see everyone posting and learning new things or polishing up old skills. Just remember it does not matter how slow you feel you are... you still beat the person laying on the couch!!! Have a great evening Turtle friends!

NC Turtle Darcie
2014-01-23 8:44 PM
in reply to: vickimallen

User image

Subject: RE: Closing it up again.
Vicki~
Great to see you posting again! How was your Disney Tinkerbell 10K race? I was signed up last year for the Princess Half Marathon and was injured and couldn't attend. I love Disney! You have made a awesome decision on logging your foods. I maintain my weight much better when I write down what I am stuffing in my mouth. I have a super bad sweet tooth! Great job on taking the next step of finding the pieces of the nutrition puzzle. Everyone is different and its really important to make sure your tank is full to keep yourself going. My biggest problem is when I am racing I am not hungry and it is easy to forget to eat my gels or drink enough nutrition while on the bike. Sounds like you have a great plan for the pool next week! Hope you will share how things go!

NC Turtle Darcie
2014-01-23 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Sufferfest
Originally posted by cassowary

Well we're snowed in today in Rhode Island. I'm thinking I should get my bicycle setup on a trainer and try out one of the Sufferfest videos - they look awesome. It looks likes Revolver and Fight Club are a couple of the more popular ones. Does anybody have a recommendation?

We have been snowed in most of the week and I have been a lazy bum. I'm thinking I should get off my a$$ and put my bike on a trainer as well and get one of those Sufferfest videos too. Looks like gyms will be open in the morning so I am going to do my best to get back on schedule.

2014-01-23 11:13 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Subject: RE: Sufferfest
I got blown off schedule this week too, my new puppy is keeping me awake and so i'm missing my morning exercises and then its stinking hot here (46degrees in my house yesterday) so i'm making excuses to not exercise in the afternoons...need to get my mojo back!
2014-01-24 8:42 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
So a lot of people have a video and or song that helps to fire them up or re-motivate them. I thought I would share one video that gets me pumped up every time I see it and makes me want to go and workout / race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk
2014-01-24 9:06 AM

User image

Todd,
I have seen almost all the IM videos on youtube LOL I love THEM! me and hubs will often watch the Kona coverage from the last few years over and over again haha! I love the video you posted! Here is my favorite. It is from Kona 2011, music is by Hans Zimmer who does a LOT of Motion Picture soundtracks. I have this song on my ipod and whenever I hear it I think of this video. The video is focused on the Pros and I LOVE how they got the bikes in slo motion! I am a big Craig Alexander fan and am sad he has retired from the long course. He won Ironman on this video! Every single person on the video is inspiring and when they show the actual times at the end of the video I am BLOWN AWAY how fast they are!!

http://youtu.be/2s5AbZyf1Js

And for a good laugh this is HILARIOUS!! Called *Sh$% Triathletes Don't say*

http://youtu.be/Do53TQ6OVJ4

I got up super early and swam again today. Still need a lot of work but I know it will come with time. Hope everyone has a great Friday!!
2014-01-24 11:39 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Hey Todd sorry so late in responding just got released by Dr. and starting to feel like I can start training a little.
Name Clifford
Story 51 year old retired sailor and now High School Teacher I started triathlons on 2006 and did ok for a few years. After finishing my only marathon new Years day 2008 it has been mostly down hill do to a loss of drive and motivation followed by some injuries. I just got out of the hospital after an 8 day stay for a perforated colon and may face surgery in a few months.
Family married for 25 years 2 grown up kids
Current training Ill start on Monday
2013 no real races
2014 I want to do a few sprints and an Olympic
Weight loss went into the hospital at 196 came out at 184 now 182 plan to drop to about 175ish
What do I hope to get from the group accountability I have become lazy and tend to put things off yeas I am busy teaching, coaching, taking grad classes, and experimenting with aquaponics but I need to be held accountable for training.
Anyway I did not want to be rude and not respond to you thanks for the offer and I understand if you are full.
2014-01-24 12:44 PM

User image

Hi Darcie,

Quick back story: I studied rainforest ecology and aboriginal culture in Australia about 12 years ago, and an aboringal leader told me I had a cassowary spirit. A few days later I was collecting data in the rainforest when a cassowary came along and chased me through the forest. After a long sprint, we finally came to a standstill and just stared at each other for about 10 minutes before an older cassowary came along and the two of them sauntered off back into the forest. So cassowary seemed like a good user name now that I'm running again

The breathing is by far my greatest challenge too. I'll let you know how my first lesson goes next week.

2014-01-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
After missing most of my workouts this week due to bad weather and gym closings, I finally got a workout in.

Starting at 6am, I had 45 minute swim class, followed by a 45 min spin class then a one mile walk. Hey, easy triathlon!
2014-01-25 12:27 PM

User image

Well done Lovey!

I just finished 2/3 of my first Sufferfest cycling video called "Fight Club". I stopped using my bicycle trainer about 6 years ago due to boredom - I think Sufferfest videos may be the simple solution. The video was funny, challenging, motivating, and filled with great views. I highly recommend.
2014-01-25 5:39 PM

User image

I did a brick today with my husband. We did a 60 minute spin class then went up to the indoor track for a 30 minute jog. My heart rate climbed fast when I started running. It is very hard to start from scratch and build up my aerobic base again. But I believe in heart rate training instead of the "go harder and faster" method that so many people seem to do.

Great job Cassowary on the Fight Club! That's one of my favorite Sufferlandria videos!! Way to go!
2014-01-26 2:55 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great to hear everyone's training is going well. I'm pretty happy today; had a swim/bike/run down at a nearby lake and my calves held up well the whole time, and feel fine now. I took it nice and easy, but it was so good to get back into the swing of it! 

2014-01-26 5:01 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by CBarnes Hey Todd sorry so late in responding just got released by Dr. and starting to feel like I can start training a little. Name Clifford Story 51 year old retired sailor and now High School Teacher I started triathlons on 2006 and did ok for a few years. After finishing my only marathon new Years day 2008 it has been mostly down hill do to a loss of drive and motivation followed by some injuries. I just got out of the hospital after an 8 day stay for a perforated colon and may face surgery in a few months. Family married for 25 years 2 grown up kids Current training Ill start on Monday 2013 no real races 2014 I want to do a few sprints and an Olympic Weight loss went into the hospital at 196 came out at 184 now 182 plan to drop to about 175ish What do I hope to get from the group accountability I have become lazy and tend to put things off yeas I am busy teaching, coaching, taking grad classes, and experimenting with aquaponics but I need to be held accountable for training. Anyway I did not want to be rude and not respond to you thanks for the offer and I understand if you are full.

Hi and welcome, Clifford! Jump in

2014-01-26 11:57 AM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Thanks !!!!, those are great ideas... will use some this week. Your meal planning idea is a great idea. I'm going to try that, plus all the ideas you gave me will make it easier to achieve. Have a great week !!!
2014-01-26 11:58 AM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Great run with my 11 year old son, I ran/walked 2.5 miles. He did 5 miles , he left me in the dust. He loved the new park, in Altamonte Springs, he asked when are we coming back. We are running again on Tuesday night after work.

We are walking this after with some friends.

Hope you are all having a great time, have a great week !!!
2014-01-26 6:36 PM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by CBarnes

Hey Todd sorry so late in responding just got released by Dr. and starting to feel like I can start training a little.
Name Clifford
Story 51 year old retired sailor and now High School Teacher I started triathlons on 2006 and did ok for a few years. After finishing my only marathon new Years day 2008 it has been mostly down hill do to a loss of drive and motivation followed by some injuries. I just got out of the hospital after an 8 day stay for a perforated colon and may face surgery in a few months.
Family married for 25 years 2 grown up kids
Current training Ill start on Monday
2013 no real races
2014 I want to do a few sprints and an Olympic
Weight loss went into the hospital at 196 came out at 184 now 182 plan to drop to about 175ish
What do I hope to get from the group accountability I have become lazy and tend to put things off yeas I am busy teaching, coaching, taking grad classes, and experimenting with aquaponics but I need to be held accountable for training.
Anyway I did not want to be rude and not respond to you thanks for the offer and I understand if you are full.

Clifford, the offers still stands and you are welcome to come on in and join in the fun and work. Glad that you have been given the green light to start back.
2014-01-26 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dwilling

Great run with my 11 year old son, I ran/walked 2.5 miles. He did 5 miles , he left me in the dust. He loved the new park, in Altamonte Springs, he asked when are we coming back. We are running again on Tuesday night after work.

We are walking this after with some friends.

Hope you are all having a great time, have a great week !!!

Only thing better then a good workout is one with family / close friends.
2014-01-26 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well I offically kicked off my training today with a nice and easy 24 mile ride. It went better than I was expecting, but I could tell on one climb in particular how much I have lost over the less than active past 4 months or so. I was able to hold an average speed of around 16.5 going up this hill before and today with the same precived output I was at 13.5, nice slap in the face if you will, but I know it will come back in a month or so.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and was able to get in some workouts. I could not have asked for a more perfect day of weather then today.

2014-01-26 6:56 PM

User image

Glad the food suggestions helped :-) You can say I have OCD about meal planning LOL I just know I love to sit down to a nice dinner instead of standing in front of the fridge trying to decide what to cook. Great job on your run with your son! That's awesome he is already wanting to come back for more! Keep up the awesome work!
2014-01-26 8:18 PM

User image

Hi Everybody, hope you all had a good weekend.

Just completed week 4 of my program and I'm please to say I've met my goals for January. IE weight loss, smaller waist, distance I can swim & run. I'm a long way off from where I want to be but I'm heading in the right direction at the right pace to be ready for next season. I plan to travel north during winter so I may get the chance to do a tri earlier if I'm ready.

Highlights this week were a good MTB ride and I went for a run even though it was raining. I figure if you race in the rain you can train in the rain.

A topic that came up this week in 2 seperate conversations was that when running or riding there is a tendancy to want to catch the runner/rider in front of you or not get passed by the person behind you. I'm working hard at ignoring this and progressing at my own (turtle) pace. How does everybody else go with this?

Rod
2014-01-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4938433

User image

So I worked out today after a four day break/binge but somehow still lost weight. I am refocusing and will try to get in at least 30min a day. I also log my food with my fitness pal and strongly recommend it if you are trying to lose weight. I had success in the past but gained the weight back after I stopped using it. I find when I log my food it also keeps me focused on working out.

I am having serious problems with my swimming and thinking about taking a swimming class but really don't want/ can't spend the money on it right now. My problem is breathing. I am trying to keep my head down and follow the line but when I come up for air I seem to be gasping and cannot go very far. When I focus on my breathing I seem to be inhaling water at some point and I feel completely lost. I am hoping the more I swim the better I will get at it but I feel ridiculous with experienced swimmers in the lane next to me. Is this normal and keep at it or should I give in and get lessons?
2014-01-27 12:41 AM

Grand Junction, Colorado
Subject: FINS!
I've been reading and watching info for Total Immersion swimming and had tried several of the drills last week. During the drills I realized that I am a "weak kicker" and at times actually go backward when doing balance and sweet spot drills. 45 minutes of that left me deflated and like I was just treading water, literally.

So I decided to look into some fins for the drills. I found some on Craigslist (Finis Floating fins) for $10, got them Friday and tried them out Saturday. What a difference it made! I could actually do the drills and focus on them since I was moving forward with just a gentle kick. I did take them off and do a little swimming afterward too to make sure I don't' become reliant on them for actual swimming. I suppose I'm better off to not kick while swimming, if it's counterproductive anyway!

Anyway, I'd recommend getting some if you're having issues. The other ones I was considering before finding the used ones were the Aquasphere Alphafin, fyi.

Happy Training!
Mark
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24944 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.