Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-02-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

Jay, the key to bi-lateral breathing (at least for me it was) is to stay consistant with when to take a breath.

For example: breath left during the left stroke, stroke right, stroke left, breath right during the right stroke, stroke left, stroke right, breath left during the left stroke, continue this pattern for 1000 times.

I hope that makes sense, I re-wrote it about four time trying to figure the best way to put it. The point I'm trying to make is that you want to keep breathing as much as possible while swimming. During the two strokes your head is under water breath out slowly you want to be empty of air when your head breaks out of the water to give you more time to inhale. If not, you wind up swallowing water because your still inhaling after the end of the stroke.

Last chance for people to get in on "guessing Doug's finishing time" for tomorrow's half marathon. Be sure to stop by his log and wish him the best. Its always a good boost to morale to read inspires before heading out the door to do a race.

2007-02-24 9:33 AM

Regular
Kirk,
It's been a tough week of work. Didn't get to work out Monday and Tuesday because I was on a business trip (TDY in military terms). Got a couple of good swims in Wednesday nite and Friday nite. I leave Monday for San Antonio for another TDY. I plan on bringing my workout gear. I'll be home in Lewisville, TX from Thursday nite to Sunday noon! Maybe I'll get a chance to check out the mini-tri route in Los Colinas/Irving while I'm there. Any idea of where the swim will be?
Never mind. I just found the website and it includes maps of the routes. Here is the link: http://www.playtri.com/playtrifestival/

Tony

Edited by colwins440 2007-02-24 9:57 AM
2007-02-24 3:35 PM

User image

I ordered the Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer today from bikesport in Michigan. Thanks for the heads up fgray.  The total cost - shipping, the trainer, tax and a computer thingy to go on it was 321.00.  Great customer service.  It's shipping Monday via UPS.  I am SO EXCITED!!

This tri thing is starting to cost me lots of money!!  However, I do believe it's money well spent!

Thanks again fgray for the advice to go through bikesport. 

2007-02-24 3:56 PM

User image

I'm sure this is a stupid question as I should probably know the answer.

However.

When ordering my bike trainer and computer today - they said this trainer measured watts and that was VERY IMPORTANT.

Huh?  Why?  I know what it measures - just not sure what difference that makes.  All I ever pay attention to is how far I go and in what time.  I know there is some other number I watch when I'm using the bike at the gym - and I'm not sure what it is - but I've read you should be at 90 or above.  Well, unfortunately, the fastest I hit and am able to keep up for any reasonable amount of time is around 83.  I have no idea what all that means - other than my heart rate is comfortable around 70 and working hard around 83.  (rpm's??

Just wondering if you bike guru's can explain what watts is in biking for idiots terms!

Thanks!

Tami 

2007-02-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #701982

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Tami, not a stupid question b/c now I'm looking forward to the answer.

Congratulations on the trainer, I'm looking forward to getting one as well.

and I definately agree about this being an expensive endeavor but it is certainly money well spent.
2007-02-24 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey y'all, thanks for playing Kirk's game (and thanks to Kirk for coming out, I know it was hard not to be running).  I lost internet access Thursday and most of Friday and didn't have time this morning to check on y'all's guesses (and kind of didn't want to), but I knew that some of you were putting up numbers on me (no wagering, please).  I'm pleased to report that my chip timed finish was 1:54:53.  If y'all need to argue over who won, my gun time was 1:56:12.  Since we had chips, I'm going with that one.  It also jived pretty close to my Garmin time.

It was a fun race.  I'll post all the details in my race log, but suffice to say, it was humid and warm at the start (my warmup was to sprint back to the car and drop off running partners's vests and long sleeves, and to change into a sleeveless top.  Good thing I did.  It was really windy, too, but not cold, to I was pleased with my last second clothing decision.

I did have fun and the course support was great.  Friends and family set up a couple positions to cheer us on, which always boosts motivation.

Thanks for all your energy out there today.  And yes, this afternoon's beer and burger are tasting great!

db

Edited by dblack1801 2007-02-24 5:02 PM

2007-02-25 10:18 AM
in reply to: #702026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Congratulations. Must feel good. I dare to dream.
2007-02-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: #701982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I think the 90 you refer to is the tempo, how many pedal strokes per minute. I understand a high tempo keeps the legs loose and not so used up for the run. I like a lower tempo myself. It takes time to get the feel right. But, I have not done a really hard run after a long bike yet, so i don't totally rule out the 90 thing yet.
The watts measurement is pretty cool. Mine does not have it, but people swear by it to measure how much power they generate.
2007-02-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #702026

Regular
AWESOME Doug! Way to go! I'll be down your way this coming Friday thru Sunday. Home for a couple of days on my way back from San Antonio. I'll check out the Las Colinas tri routes on Saturday.
Again, great job on the half marathon!!
Tony
2007-02-26 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Happy Monday All,

First of all congrats to Doug for finishing is 1st "official" half mary. The time was awesome for a first timer. I'm sure you could have gotten 1:52 if you did not play a full game of soccer the night before!!

As for the trainer questions. You are correct with the 90s part of the question. It is the rpm or pedal cadence. The number is may be slightly high for beginners, but is close enough. The reason you want to use cadence is to ensure you are not putting too much strain on the endurance type muscles and to get your energy from fat (unlimited supply) and not the glucose stores (limited supply). If you can not get up to that cadence then you are in to high of a gear (faster speed with slower pedalling). If you are having problems getting into the 90 then first try maintaining mid to high 80s. Gradually your cadence will get up there.

As for the watts measurement. That is a measurement of the amount of power you are putting out through the bike. The computer takes into account resistance / speed to calculate the amout of power that is needed to maintain. As I have never trained by power output I can't give a good answer on where you want to be. My suggestion would be to find a copy of "The Triathlon Training Bible" and review the section on cycling by power. I pretty much skimmed over that section.

Col: Let us know if you want to meet up this weekend in Las Colinas for a ride. I would be interested. More then likely you will be spending time with family as is understandable.

All have a great week of training. Remember to keep up with one another and help motivate, this IS a team effort.

2007-02-26 4:36 PM

Sorry I have been incommunicado...My whole family had the stomach flu, and now my husband and son have phneumonia... I finally feel better enough to get out for my walk at lunch and go to the pool tonight. Oh, it feels great to be healthy again!

2007-02-26 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Way to go Doug and Texmom! You're in inspiration. Hope everyone else takes it easy enough to let yourselves heal. I'm taking a week off running to see if this achilles tendonitis will clear up. Meanwhile I'll try to bike and swim more.

I have a question about the watt stuff too. I am going to purchase a Kurt Kinetic trainer but I'm wondering if I need to purchase the watt computer. I guess I can buy the Tri Bible and read about it. Is there a way to convert watts to mph? It sounds like the watts go up as the effort does (I would think) so maybe its more about how much energy you're using. I'm just wondering if I should spend the extra $50 to get it. Any suggestions?

Tara
2007-02-27 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

leyla - great to hear that you are feeling better. I was wondering what happened to you.

Tara - you are right the power measurement is all about the amount of energy you are putting into your ride - not so much the speed. The more effort = higher wattage. Measuring wattage is interesting, but does little good at this point in your training. The people that gain the most for measuring wattage are those that are FOP (front of pack) and people that are competing for AG (age group). It ultamately comes down to what you want to spend your money on. 

2007-02-27 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

The only thing I know about watts and a bicycle is from when I was a kid at the Seattle Science Center - the harder we pedaled the bike, the more and brighter light bulbs came on.

Somebody else asked about bike tires for use on a mountain bike during a tri.  I have two answers.  One, get some "slicks" which are smooth tires designed for street riding.  I don't know about whether the police model will increase speed (something about the engine strength, and whether the mechanical equipment, i.e. chain, gears, brakes etc. are working correctly), but I do know that - and here's my second point - if you pump them up to around 80-85 psi, generally well past the recommendation (caution, make sure you have good innertubes and a cloth rim tape - the barrier between you spokes and your tube - to prevent flats), you can ride like the wind.  This trick also works for knobbies if you can't find, afford or just forget to get the slicks.   For example, I ride my roadie at about 100 psi which is quite firm, and my mtb at around 80, particularly if I'm towing the kids.

2007-02-28 9:52 AM
in reply to: #705240

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Hey everyone,

couple questions.

1. how important are rest weeks? most of the training programs that I've read include a week of reduced activity about every 4th or 5th week. I think I read something like effort gets cut back by 10% or something. next week will be my 5th week. Should I back off a bit, should I just repeat my effort from this week, or should I continue to progress as I have? If I continue to progress as I have, next week will be 45 minutes on the treadmill with 3 minutes jogging intervals followed by 2 minutes brisk walking. In the pool will be 1 x 350 then 4 x 100, 1 x 50. Biking I don't have a set pattern yet.

2. This question is mostly for you Doug. I have been thinking about TI. Are using the books, the DVDs, actual lessons? What do you suggest. My only concern is if I'll get much benefit just from reading the book. Let me know what you think.

One last thing, I think my first Tri will be on May 5th. I'm a bit concerned that I won't be ready in time but I think I'm going to try. It is close to my home and there is a heat just for begginers, we'll start 15 minutes after those with more experience, and the best part, they refer to the course as "pancake" flat....that sounds like a good thing to me.

talk to you all soon,

Jay
2007-02-28 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Hey Jay,

Take the rest weeks. They are designed into the program to allow your body to rebuild from the "heavy" weeks. Work the plan the way it is written and enjoy the rest periods. When you go back to the heavy you will see larger gains.

As to the first tri in May. Sounds like a winner. Do the tri, start in the beginner wave, use it as a learning or test race for your A, and finally enjoy it.

2007-02-28 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Jay, I concur with Kirk.

As for TI, I'm only using the book as I didn't spring for the DVD.  The book makes sense, mostly, and is quite useful.  However, be prepared to be frustrated your first or second try at finding your sweet spot.  I sure was.  But once found, it's a great place.  I plan on logging meters/lengths from now on as I'm almost back to whole stroke form, i.e. swimming.  I also recently purchased, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of, TI's open water swim (OWS) made easy.  This is my biggest challenge to overcome.

Keep up your good work.

2007-02-28 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hi All,
Jay, I'm reading the TI book too along with a friend at work. We've ordered the CD and even ordered some waterproof cue cards. He (my work friend) is much more into the drills (I haven't really gotten into the book yet) and finds them to be frustrating but he understands and agrees with the concept (feeling and knowing what "feels right" along with proper body mechanics). I'm an overachiever and love to get in the pool and see how many laps or yards I can do which I'm finding out is stupid if my stroke is not right. I'm going to slow down, as I am with running, and focus on listening to my body, doing the drills and doing it right. I'll let you know if I think the DVD is worth it.

I bit the bullet today and ordered a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (oh my gosh, am I becoming a Tri freak?). If anyone else orders one, be sure to call the bike shop in Michigan - they gave me $100 off and there is no sales tax. I ordered the watt computer because it also has MPH on it and I think I'd go crazy riding my bike for an hour and not knowing how fast I was going. The girl I spoke with is a triathlete (coming to Florida in May to run the HIM or IM in Orlando) and said you measure your fitness by how many watts you produce. I didn't totally understand it but when she said, "you should always start out with good habits," I was sold - good sales person huh?!

Its getting warm here - yea! Hope it stays that way. Kirk, I like the "abs" avatar - dang, are those yours or what you are hoping for?

Everybody stay steady and most of all - have fun!

Tara

2007-02-28 7:49 PM

User image

Tara,

We must have spoken to the same salesperson - because your conversation sounds EXACTLY like mine when I ordered my Kurt Kinetic last weekend!!  

Supposidly mine shipped out on Monday.  I was REALLY hoping it would be here today - but it hasn't shown up yet.  The Y has been incredibly crazy this week and I have not been able to get a bike yet - so I hope it shows up soon!

I have read the TI book and have the dvd.  Sounds great - but personally, I'm having a very difficult time putting it into practice.  Kind of feel stupid sometimes when I'm working on it.  I've got the balance on my back thing down - but that's about it.  Next I need to woking on "pressing my buoy" or whatever that is.  I sure wish I had the cash flow to go to one of their camps because I think hands on training would be wonderful! 

Anyway - hope you enjoy your trainer!  Did they tell you how long it would take to get to you??

Tami 

2007-02-28 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
So, did you get the watt computer too? Gosh, fgray should be getting a commission on the sales! They told me it should be here in about 4 days. It ships tomorrow so I"m guessing I'll get it by about Wednesday next week.

I agree on the TI training. The bummer is, I live about an hour from Clermont, FL which is the National Training Center for triathlons. They're having the TI training there but its about $800-Ugh! That's a little over the top for me. I just want to finish the race and not drown! Have you tried working with a partner? It sounds like that might be beneficial - just tough to find some one to work with. I'll let you know how the drills go when I try them.

So, know that I'm forking over all this dough for a trainer, tell me about heart monitors. (Is this a covert website to feed the "tri" industry?). Seems like the price tag of "tri'ing" keeps going up - but it beats the cost of a heart cath or bypass. )

Ya'll be safe out there! I can't run so I'm gonna go walk the dog - dang!

Tara
2007-03-01 12:04 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
so much to say to the last few posts, but must sleep tonight.

2007-03-01 9:37 AM
in reply to: #707215

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Well, I'm convinced. I will be getting the TI book. So, one more question (i'll probably have more later). I'm two months from my first tri. Should I start doing TI drills right away and back off on just doing laps or should I work on my base so that I can finish the swim leg of the tri then work on TI drills after in preparation for my "A" race in September.

a bit of information in case it helps you answer the question. I was on competitive swim teams as a kid so I don't think I have terrible form now. My form, however, detiorates as I get tired. I think as I slow dowm my body does not ride as high in the water.

Kirk, you'll be happy to hear that my bi-lateral breathing is getting much better. I'm taking breaths every third stroke to alternate sides. the trick was finding that pocket of air just below the water line in front of my shoulder as I stroke. That's easy for me when breating on the right now it's coming to me on the left. again though, I lose it as I get tired. I find that two things happen, 1 - as I swim slower I'm not getting that pocket of air so I have to rotate more to get air and 2 - as I get tired I can't always wait 3 strokes before needing air.

Tara - I think I'm also going to pick up the Eric Harr book. I like the idea of some specific Tri strength training routines and certainly I need more structure in my stretching routines.

well, this is a long enough post for now and I really should be working.

later,

Jay
2007-03-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #703341

Regular
Kirk,
Don't know what my schedule will look like Saturday, but it will definitely involve being with the family. I'll probably just take a look around at the tri routes, and won't bike or run any of it. If that changes, I'll let you know.
I finally signed up for the April 21st Las Colinas Tri. I signed up for what they call First Tri --- 300 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. I know, too easy for you studs and studdettes, but I feel it is a good starting point for me. I will look for a sprint around June 12 (my 55th birthday).
I walked over to the YMCA near my motel around 7AM this morning and had a decent workout... although it was all indoors. I'll be flying home to Dallas this afternoon. Really looking forward to being with family for a couple of days. I will still workout, and probably will run and bike outdoors. Don't know if I can get a swim in.
I'm also interested in the emails that discuss TI. I may pick a book up on it too.
Tony
2007-03-01 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Ok, y'all.  Here's my take on TI.  Like Sluggo, I thought of "cherry picking" the good stuff and trying to incorporate it into my regular swimming.  I had had good lessons last summer and felt that I could make any reasonable distance with more training.  It didn't work.  It was at that point that I committed to stop what I was doing and embrace the TI approach.  My first "swim" (floating on your back, really) was darn near disastrous.  I couldn't find the sweet spot and wound up sucking water, dragging my legs and feeling like a 5 year old kid who can't swim.  I couldn't believe it.  But again, I stuck with the program knowing that on my next attempt, I'd get it.  And I did.  I was able to float, find sweet spot, skate and begin rudimentary switching (all TI terms).  At this point I'm only swimming 2x week, Saturdays while the kids are in swimming lessons (I'll teach them TI when they get the basics down) and Mondays after work.  Did/do I feel a bit awkward sliding on my back and side, doing weird partial strokes while others are pumping out laps?  Yes.  Do I feel badly for taking a whole lane and not sharing?  Yes, but it is usually not a problem.  (NOTE: You'll need a whole lane to start with, trust me).  Do I feel I've made significant progress in my swim?  Not yet.  In TI?  Yes.  Do I feel TI will help me with my swimming?  Well, I'm committed to it now, so it better.  I'm now at the step where the whole stroke is coming together.  I'm excited to get in the water to try it out and practice.  I'm going back to counting distance so I can compare vs. my previous swimming.  I don't much care about speed, just stamina and not drowning in swims.  I believe TI will give me the confidence to swim my own segment (whatever the distance) safely.  But I will only know on April 22 when I have to swim 1500 m in a man-made lake.

I'll discuss my OWS problems in another post y'all can have a laugh or share your own issues with me.

My bottom line is this - I don't want to rely on a wetsuit, kayaks, buoys, lifeguards, etc. to get me through the swims.  I want to have the confidence and skill set to do it myself.

2007-03-01 8:54 PM

User image

Tara and Jay
What is this book you guys are talking about by Eric Harr?  The only book I can locate is training in 4 hours a week or something like that.  Is it in that one?  Just wondering if you guys could share the book title.

Tara - I GOT MY KURT TRAINER TODAY!!  YIPEE!  It is SOOO convenient!!  I will tell you though - I think the workout is more difficult than it was indoor at the Y on a stationary bike.  But - as far as I'm concerned - BRING IT ON :-)  I was so happy to be riding it and watching American Idol with my kids all at the same time.  Sure makes the workout go faster :-)  My knees did bother me - I had ACL reconstructive surgery a few years ago - and it definatly was irritating it.  I figure it's from weak hamstrings - it'll improve with time.   Anyway - it was sure nice to have it at home.

I am getting very very hooked on this tri thing. My husband and I drove the bike route the other day for the first tri I am signed up for.  Also figured out the swim is in a quarry.  Have to admit - I am WAY nervous about OWS in a quarry.  I don't swim in lakes (except Lake Michigan)- so I will be very nervous about this.  However, I can swim there before the tri so I'll do that to ease my mind a bit more.  I also think the bike will be with traffic - and there's a lot of traffic in that area.  I'm worried about that too - I've always ridden on bike paths before - so I don't know the "rules" for bike riding or whatever - especially in the tri setting.  Can anyone help me out with that?

Everyone have a good training weekend!

Tami

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26