BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2795520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
augeremt - 2010-04-16 3:06 AM

Tracey,

I'm glad you enjoyed my suggestions. I should've given you the forum link for 3FC (shorthand for 3fatchicks) so it's www.3fatchicks.com/forums (duh ). It's really a great supportive community, kinda like BT, but for weight-loss instead. And they have a small tri forum there, which is how I was directed to you guys. See, automatically good people

Haha about the wine! If that's what it takes... In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: Alcohol - the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

As for the BMR calculator, I know it works well for the BMR rate for sure. It also offers other options depending on your level of activity, although I'm not sure how good those are, so be wary of that. Like, I'm not sure if that includes the calories burned when working out, or if you have to add the individual exercises on your own on top of that. I haven't looked that far into it since I have a calorie burner thing I wear on me all the time. Hope that last part makes sense.

And lastly, breakfast. I rarely eat it. Not good, I know, but I would much rather sleep in the extra half hour than eat. I love eating, so you can probably tell how much I love sleeping as well (another reason I can't make myself work out in the mornings). However, when I do make something, I usually go for granola and yogurt, or cereal and yogurt. For a while I did oatmeal, too, but I'm kind of over that. I'm also a huge fan of sandwiches for breakfast, since that's how I grew up (it's a Polish thing...we don't really do cereal or breakfast foods...liverwurst tastes so much better in the morning!), so I'll fix some of those up as well.

Kasia

Thanks Kasia.

Hmm, sandwiches for breakfast... I'll sometimes make an egg sandwich, but that's about all. Maybe I'll get crazy one of these days and make a grilled chicken sandwich. Hey, you never know, the extra protein might fill me up!

Tracey

2010-04-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2795521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-16 3:09 AM

Tracey again,

I'm hoping that continuing with the swimming will help speed me up. I've definitely gained endurance which has helped with the speed so I'm going to try to work on technique now. Maybe I'll sign up for a class next session if I keep being frustrated. But for now, it's getting better, so I'm happier.

Kasia

Having read the TI book and incorporated all of their techniques, and also having done two TI clinics, I would highly recommend using a TI coach. I think I got a lot more out of my TI training than I did from my instructor at the Y. Don't get me wrong, she was great, but once she gave me the basics, it was TI that really sealed the deal for me, in terms of my abilities and progression.

Good luck!

Tracey

2010-04-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2795523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-16 3:21 AM

Tracey, for the last time -

I forgot to put this in my original nutrition post, but I also try to have about 5 meals throughout the day, eating about every 3 - 4 hours. It keeps me pseudo-full throughout the day and I get to snack in a good way and not feel deprived. For example, for 1500-1600 cal a day, the breakdown goes like this:

1500 - 1600 cal daily
Breakfast - 400 +/- 25
Lunch - 500 +/- 25
Snack - 100 +/- 25
Dinner - 500 +/- 25
Snack - 100 +/- 25

Most days I'm around 1800 calories (+/- 50) since I don't want my deficit between burned and eaten to be greater than 1000, so my distribution looks more like this:

1800 - 1900 cal daily
Breakfast - 500 +/- 25
Lunch - 650 +/- 25
Snack - 125 +/- 25
Dinner - 650 +/- 25
Snack - 125 +/- 25

That's all a rough breakdown, and usually varies meal to meal, but it's a nice guide to go by.

Kasia

Thanks Kasia. Do you maintain your weight on this diet, or do you lose?

2010-04-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2795527

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
augeremt - 2010-04-16 3:57 AM

So...drumroll please...I am now the proud owner of a brand-spanking-new, amazingly speedy, beautifully gleaming, and just plain awesome bike. I dub thee Matilda. Well, not really, but the name did pop into my head while I was riding her/him this afternoon. Since I'm still undecided about it, I should probably go with a more gender-neutral name. Maybe Morgan? Or Taylor? I think it's more of a tomboy, if anything.

In the end, I went with the Trek 2.1 WSD (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/women/road/21wsd/) Gloss Lava Black color. >

Sweet wheels!

2010-04-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2795971

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
lufferly - 2010-04-16 9:53 AM

Kasia, nice ride ... enjoy!!

It is looking like we will take our 11 year old out of school next Friday to go with us to OKC, so we are hoping to catch a ball game on Saturday night while we are there.  Their AAA minor league team (the Red Hawks) feeds into the Rangers.  $22 reserved "all you can eat" seats down the left field line with unlimited popcorn, peanuts, cotton candy, soda, hot dogs, nachos (notice beer was NOT included!) ... an 11 year old's delight! 

Blue Bell 10K race planned tomorrow with my running group but still lots of chest congestion and some wheezing.  I was on such a roll with my PRs the last few races, but figure I may end up walking more with this one ... time will tell!  All you can eat (is there a theme here) Blue Bell ice cream after the race. 

Lisa

Mmmm, Blue Bell ice cream!!

2010-04-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2795818

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Fearless prediction: If you keep doing triathlons long enough, you will get to the point where color-coordination no longer matters. In fact, you will realize that color-coordinating is far more bother than it's worth, as more and more shoe/bike/apparel companies are hellbound and determined to play fast and loose with all of ou sensibilities. So, prepare yourself to embrace all manner of fashion faux pas.....and save those photos for your grandkids, just to see them all embarassed on your behalf.

As NYC Tri last July, so wife Lynn and daughter Jane could more easily pick me out of the crowd (apparently, being 6'2" no longer counts for much....), I wore the top (orange, blue, white) in the photo, a BRIGHT yellow Newton running hat, my flourescent green Newton running shoes with the bright red logo on the sides -- and discrete, demure, black tri shorts. If nothing else, I had the spectrum mostly covered, purple being the only color excluded. I have vowed not to go to such extremes again, as such tropical-bird extravagance is really not me. Honest!!

2010-04-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2797325

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

You're a better person than I am. I let the spectre of rain, along with a wee chill in the air, keep me from riding outdoors today. (Poor baby!)

Now I get to allow Sloth and Inertia to work their tag-team magic and keep me off the trainer tonight. Opposing them will be Guilt and Righteousness, working on my ego to (half-heartedly?) ride while watching a combination of baseball and hockey games. I wouldn't advise any betting money either way, however -- it's too close to call!

I hope your ride went well, and props to you for doing it!

2010-04-16 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2795971

User image

Champion

LISA -

Red Hawks? hmmm. Maybe I knew that, but I still of the Rangers AAA affiliate as being the 89ers (or was it just 89s?) And is there AA team still from Round Rock? Round Rock Express? Yes/no? I went through a phase a coupla decades ago when I travelled far and wide to watch minor-league baseball at all levels. That was a lot of fun, especially with kids -- inexpensive, laid-back, and often with cool seventh-inning-stretch diversions. But while in Texas I was so enamored of the Rangers that I never ventured to OKC or Tulsa or anywhere else......although I dearly wanted to see the El Paso Diablos play!

Well, at least the Thunder made the playoffs, which might count for somehting for you seeing as how the Rockets, um, didn't do so well this season.

Best of luck with the 10km, and I will send lots of mojo that your chest clears by race time. My forecast for you -- light sniffles at daybreak, giving way to clear sinuses by the 4km mark. Have fun!

2010-04-16 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2797342

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

The campground at Myles Standish State Park -- is it well-patrolled, with rowdy teens being kept away?

2010-04-16 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2796339

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Mercy! 55 degrees and sleeveless is at the limit of what I can happily tolerate, but I have learned over the years that there is a huge range of tolerances out there ----- and I guess you are at cold end of all conceivable ranges!

In all seriousness, it is excellent if you can withstand cold water with impunity. Cold water is an enormous bugaboo for many people, enough so that it really throws off their game. While I may worry quite a bit about cold water at a race, I can usually keep myself from getting in a Code Red tizzy. But I've done enough cold water swims in which afterwards I have had to unlock my car door with the key between the "heels" of my palms to know how incapacitated I can get, so that's a constant caution. Um, er, have fun paddling about!

I like the revised bike plan, and the scope of the PCH ride sounds great. Ya can't get enough of that 28-toother, can you?

2010-04-16 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2797346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-16 6:23 PM

TRACEY -

The campground at Myles Standish State Park -- is it well-patrolled, with rowdy teens being kept away?

Yup, it's actually a very quiet and underused state park.

You planning on camping out there for the sprint??

2010-04-16 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2797342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE B, not sure about the 89ers. When my daughter did summer stock back in Clinton Iowa a couple of years ago, we went to see a Clinton LumberKings game ...at the time, they were the single A team for the Rangers (now they are affiliated with the Mariners).  The Round Rock Express is actually the Astros AAA team.  I believe Berkman is there right now for rehab. 

Unfortunately, no sniffles for me, everything is in the chest.  Hopefully the hilly run among all the blue bonnets and wildflowers won't get things acting up too much.  They should be really pretty about now.

Lisa
2010-04-16 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2797364

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-16 3:32 PM STEVE - Mercy! 55 degrees and sleeveless is at the limit of what I can happily tolerate, but I have learned over the years that there is a huge range of tolerances out there ----- and I guess you are at cold end of all conceivable ranges! In all seriousness, it is excellent if you can withstand cold water with impunity. Cold water is an enormous bugaboo for many people, enough so that it really throws off their game. While I may worry quite a bit about cold water at a race, I can usually keep myself from getting in a Code Red tizzy. But I've done enough cold water swims in which afterwards I have had to unlock my car door with the key between the "heels" of my palms to know how incapacitated I can get, so that's a constant caution. Um, er, have fun paddling about! I like the revised bike plan, and the scope of the PCH ride sounds great. Ya can't get enough of that 28-toother, can you?

Nope, can't get enough!  I think that will be my battle cry on The Wall....they will hear me yelling, "28!....TWENTY-EIGGHHHTTTTT!!!!!!"  LOL.

Yep, cold water isn't too much a big deal for me so far.  I think that Lake Las Vegas was about 54, 55 degrees.  It's a shocker when you jump in, and it's hard to get the face in the water for the first few strokes, but I seem to adapt pretty well.  My friend had a tough time adjusting and the cold water gave him some ear issues.  I guess I'm a pretty simple beast in that regard.  Then again, that was just 1.2 miles - this is 2.4, so I've got a little concern in the back of my mind about doubling the time out there.  So I want to bob around for a good hour or so and see...

Wheee!
2010-04-16 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2797053

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
thall0672 - 2010-04-16 2:10 PM  Thanks Kasia. Do you maintain your weight on this diet, or do you lose?

Tracey,

If I stick to 1600 - 1800 then I lose, about 1-2 lbs a week depending how much I've been exercising. Lately I've been maintaining, not on purpose at all, because I've been eating and drinking way too much so obviously my calories are way higher than that. But now I'm back to the original plan of not exceeding 1800 and am slowly getting back to losing.

Kasia
2010-04-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2796027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
lufferly - 2010-04-16 9:17 AM

STEVE B, you are right about May 1st ... it's going to be a busy weekend. 

STEVE A - St. George
LISA - CB&I Sprint Triathlon
DWAYNE - Warrior Dash

And it seems like someone else had a race as well ... maybe DENISE?  Can't recall.

Lisa

Hi Lisa - glad to see you're posting again.  Sounds like you've still got some life stress stuff with the OKC decision.  Good luck with your 10k.

Yup - I'm the other May 1 racer - Chain of Lakes sprint in Alexandria (pool swim , of course - this is Minnesota).

We should all be able to get home and check up on SteveA.

Denise
2010-04-16 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

SteveA
I think I saw on your race website that the race could be followed on-line.  Do you know what that means?  Are they reporting the times after each leg or something like that? I'm sure a lot of us would like to see how you're doing
Denise
ps - I almost fainted when I saw what your IM entry fee was - haha

2010-04-16 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2797433

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve A- brr with a short sleeved wetsuit!  You are tougher than me, that is for sure!

WOW another day away from the computer and I have a lot of catching up to do! 

I got some deep tissue work done on my calf, seems to have helped.  Time for bed for me, but the Red Sox are keeping me up.  1-1 rain, 8th inning.  Come on boys, win this thing and let me go to bed!

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-04-16 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2797698

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve B -

Let's pencil in the 16th - if you can't make it I totally understand, it is a big drive for you.  Lots of the Timberfolk are scouting Lake Placid that weekend and the ones around it and want to go in August, which is closer to the race than I would like.

That is the scoop from the Timberman world! 

Come on Sox.

CHeers,

Mandy
2010-04-16 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2795257

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:11 PM
2010-04-16 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2797530

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:12 PM
2010-04-16 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2795589

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:12 PM

2010-04-17 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Steve B

Rangers AA team is the Frisco Rough Riders.  But Speaking of The Round Rock Express  their 3rd base coach is a friend of mine who played for your Sox for a while  Spike Owen 
2010-04-17 8:44 AM

New user

Hey guys,

Another wonderful weekend day at work...Time for me to catch up a bit...

Thanks for all the comments on the swim time! Man it felt awesome clicking off those times!! I'm supposed to be doing basically the same workout today but with 4 hours of sleep last night, I'm not sure if it is going to happen or not. I'm really interested to see if I can repeat it.

Tracey,

I have not seen a dietician, however I recently spoke to a sports nutrionist. Basically she said to make a food log, she'd analyze it and give feedback. Well for $100 that sure doesn't sound like a great amount of help. I'm looking for the same kind of help you are. As in I am looking for more what to eat, when to eat, why to eat certain things vs what I am now...So I found someone selling the book 'Nutrition for Endurance Athletes' and 'The Paleo Diet for Endurance Athletes'. (Not entirely convinced of the Paleo diet, but it does intrigue me.) So I now have those on my to read list as well.

I brought up earlier about tracking what you eat and what do people use. I started using the BT nutrition blog (in with the training log). However, I've fallen off the band wagon and have been eating out a lot recently. Today I shall try it again!

M,
I hope you're feeling better and the way you talk about the bike is great! Keep it coming! Very good on you to have humour in the situation!

2010-04-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2792444

New user

Kasia,

Congrats on the bike!!! Looks good!!!

9:30 am?!?!?!?!?! Yowzers, my day is almost half over. I never was a morning person either, I have somewhat acclimated myself to having to be up before the crack of dawn. I never wanted to by any means but some days it means I can be home by 4pm.  Today, I had to be at work and running at 5am, so  I was up at 3:30am. Probably the time you were going to bed! Oh what I would do to erase my student debt and be back in school!

I've failed miserably at getting up early for the swim. My training has also gone down the toilet this week. So I really truly intend on getting up early to swim this coming week.

It was over 80 degrees here on Thursday. Today the high is 48....Common now!!! The running joke in MI is if you don't like the weather, wait a half hour, it'll change.

2010-04-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2797938

User image

Champion

And with this otherwise empty message, I do hereby claim the 3000th Groovetime! post, for the honor an glaory of my family name.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276