BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-18 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2799234

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

MANDY -

Three inches? That's cruel and unusual punishment!

Cruel and unusaul punishment is what the Sox are inflicting on me these days. Grmph. Is it time yet to get the panic-burners stoked, you think?

BRUINS, though! Yay! And Celts! Yay!

2010-04-18 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2798756

User image

Champion

SHAUN again -

Nice swim results, too! At least those jammers went out in a blaze of glory!

Anytime I did 19min/1000met, I considered it a sprint effort, so you doing that at "non-sprint pace" is terrific.

Sorry about the run, though ----- although remember, those things happen! As I've said before training is NOT LINEAR. (Were it so, we would all be of Olympic calibre by mid-July!) The downs happen, and more often than not for no apparent reason; it's just how our bodies are functioning on that given day. And beyond that are the protracted plateaus, which can make us all anxious about failed fitness or just "losing at", when all that is really happening is that the body is staging itself for the next "bump" in performance. (So much for constant immediate gratification, eh?)

2010-04-18 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2799236

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
More snow today!  Man, I should have waited to put my skies away I guess.  Here is a picture of my swimming pool - the ice is out, but I am not ready to take a dip yet.

Pleasant Pond - Mandy's Pool
2010-04-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2798777

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-17 7:30 PM

stevebradley - 2010-04-17 11:18 AM And with this otherwise empty message, I do hereby claim the 3000th Groovetime! post, for the honor an glaory of my family name.

Congrats Steve!    Hey we got snow here today.  3 inches to be exact.  I asked it to go away and not come back until sometime in Nov.

My condolences
If we got 3 inches of snow right now I think it'd break my spirit.
Mark

Edited by TriD64 2010-04-18 10:26 AM
2010-04-18 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2799353

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
TriD64 - 2010-04-18 11:25 AM  My condolences If we got 3 inches of snow right now I think it'd break my spirit. Mark

Thanks.  Spirit dampened, not broken - between snow and this annoying calf issue that apparently refuses to go bye bye  And the stupid Red Sox, but that is another story.

My poor bike is going back on the trainer today for a ride to nowhere.  So sad.

Cheers,

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-04-18 10:35 AM
2010-04-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2799321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-18 9:53 AM More snow today!  Man, I should have waited to put my skies away I guess.  Here is a picture of my swimming pool - the ice is out, but I am not ready to take a dip yet.

Pleasant Pond - Mandy's Pool

Beautiful - but I'm glad it's not here.  I'm in MN and we're having a really, really warm spring.  My Pasque flowers are blooming and even the hosta are poking up.

Say - what water temp is ok to OWS? I really need to get some wetsuit practice outside.  I'm pretty cold-tolerant but I'm also old and I don't want to have a heart attack.

Denise

2010-04-18 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

Can I use any kind of thermometer to check lake temp?

Denise
2010-04-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2799409

User image

Champion

DENISE -

And what degree of absence of exactitude are you willing to accept!

For what it's worth, I use a clunky plastic therm that was originally designed for a family pool. That astute observation was based on the rubber turtle that served as a cap for it. I removed said turtle and tied a long string around it (therm, not turt) so that I have some way of anchoring it kind of deep; I figure surface temps in the shallows don't help me much.

I think it is accurate within a couple of degrees, but mostly at this point it is relative based on how I've been reading it all these years. When it reads 60, I think twice or thrice about going in, period. And when it's at about 63/64 in the shallows, I will then wade out a ways, anchor it around a stone or submerged snag, wait a few minutes, and see if it's gone down into the Weenie Zone (that's the zone in which I sigh deeply, frown, and walk away).

Because I always swim alone and not necessarily in the safest o places, I have grown real hesitant to swim when it's under 63, unless it is absolutely calm. A few years ago (say, 2003), when I was younger and more impulsive, I swam in cold and choppy, but now that I'm older and wiser I just bag it or go or the pool.

Baaaahhhhhhh!!!

2010-04-18 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2799377

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Ahh, I just saw your note accompanying Mandy's photo, and even though I hit on it in the above post, I'll get more serious here.

If you have someone who can be there with you (even on shore), you can try just about any tempersature. Steve is in the Pacific today, I believe, and he's figuring on mid 50s (can you say brrr??). As I said above, that's below my basic comfort level -- even with a neoprene hood or multiple latex caps. When I submerge and get an ice-cream headache that persists beyond a minute, that's a strong hint that I'm not going to be happy for long.

The other factor, however, is air temperature. I have swum happily in quite cold water --- but only when the air temp has been in the mid-70s or above. It took me a few years to figure it out, but swimming in 60-degree water when the air temp is less than 60 is a recipe for very frigid, useless fingers. As long as the hands have warm air to travel through every recovery phase, I'm fine; other wise, I'm in trouble.

Many sources counsel that one should NEVER do open water swims alone, regardless of water temp. I break this rule about 80 times a year, but that's because were I to obey it I would never swim in the wild. Things change if you have a place in which you can kind of hug the shore and never get deep, but my two "swimming holes" don't offer that - especially one of them.

If you are detemined to swim when it's quite cold, here are a few things that might help:
(1) Wear 2 or 3 latex caps
(2) Neoprene hoods work well. (AT $$)
(3) Neoprene booties work well. (At $$)
(4) Apply Vaseline or BodyGlide to your fingers and toes - but if you use Vaseline, don't let it come in contact with the wetsuit (petroleum-based products like to dine on neoprene)
(5) If you use Vas or BG on your hands, adjust your goggles first! I'd like to tell you that I only made this mistake once in my life and then learned a permanent life-lesson about how hard it is to see through goggles that have been gummed up with Vas of BG, but.....it's happened to me about four times. Duh?

Has any of this, or the other post, helped at all? I think I'm struggling with staying at the task at hand!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-04-18 9:40 PM
2010-04-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2799570

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Gorgeous swimming hole!! Which body of water is that, anyhow?

(As for the snow, it's pretty -- but obviously doesn't know its place!)

2010-04-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2799592

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-18 2:18 PM MANDY - Gorgeous swimming hole!! Which body of water is that, anyhow? (As for the snow, it's pretty -- but obviously doesn't know its place!)

I second that!  And the fact that if I didn't swim alone, I wouldn't swim at all given my proximity (or lack of) to a pool.

That is Pleasant Pond - that is actually swimming hole #2 - I use that one later (June), as it is spring fed and a bit colder but it is super clear and my preferred place to swim.  I also swim alone about 90% of the time and find the biggest danger is motorboats flying around....Pleasant Pond has some camps with docks at pretty regular intervals, and when alone, I swim dock to doc close to shore - hard to get in trouble really...Famous last words.

Generally I have an audience of camp owners - I hear them "there is that girl swimming across the lake again"....really I am swimming ALONG the lake, but whatever.

I start my swim season at Wyman Lake, which warms up faster than Pleasant Pond and has more boat traffic - which really picks up in June, hence the switch.  Also around June is when the leaches start showing up at Wyman.  Yeech.

STEVE - FYI - Bouy temp at Lobsterman last year was 52 degrees.  C-O-L-D  That is how I know I can stand 52 degree water for about a mile.

2010-04-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2799409

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
LadyNorth - 2010-04-18 11:05 AM

Hi,

Denise

Denise
If you have a local/regional DNR office, they may be tracking the lake temps. Seems like they report it related to fishing conditions.
Mark
2010-04-18 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MANDY, really pretty swimming hole but a tad too chilly for me, I think.  My home pool has warmed up to 77 degrees, and I got in to cool off,  for about 30 seconds, last weekend.  I tried swimming in it last year when it was around 68 or 70 and it really hurt my ears. My gym pool is about 84 degrees which gets a tad warm when you're swimming many laps. I'd love to have a nice place for open water swims. The visibility of any body of water anywhere near my home is about 4 inches!
2010-04-18 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I just can't keep up with this group !!

SteveB - we've talked about B2B, are there any other late season independant full iron distance races in the Northeast.. as in closer than NC but later than Sept., ideally late Oct to mid Nov?  I know water temp would be the limiting factor in how late in the season they might be.  I'm just not sure about the point to point set up at B2B if I travel there alone.
2010-04-18 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Just an example of how disorganized my race was yesterday ... I registered onsite and was given a bib with D-timing chip and t-shirt.  They wrote in the number of my timing chip on my registration form.  I put the timing chip on my shoe and was putting the bib on when I discovered they had given me a bib for the 1 MILE race rather than the 10K.  Went back to exchange it and was given a new bib and timing chip.  They wrote the new bib number on a scrap sheet of paper ... hmmm.  I tossed the old chip and used the new one.  So ... any surprise that I'm nowhere to be found on the race results, not by name or bib number or AG.  I e-mailed the race director last night (and explained it might be premature in the results) and told her what happened.  No response as yet.  I had my Garmin and ran with a friend who's results were posted so I know my time and place, but really ... for $30 for a 10K race?  Rant done with!

Got back on my bike and in the pool this morning, so starting to get back on track.
2010-04-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2799740

User image

Champion

LISA -

Rant well justified! I try very hard to put myself in the place of RDs far and wide, but at some point one has the right to be miffed when things go wrong. While on the one hand I can accept that "accidents happen", I just wouldn't want anything to affect my race resluts -- such as in your case, where you're nowhere to be found.

In all of my races, I have had nothing really terrible happen to me. Results have been late, or had needed amending after the fact, but I can't remember a time in which I wasn't scored. I have also been at races where fluids ran out, but fortunately for me I have always made it through* before that happened. Finally, i have been at a race in which not enough volunteeers showed up and a traffic officier sent a bunch of runners the wrong way.....but that was the first 5 or 6 off the bike, and I was maybe 13th off, so the sum effect for me was an 8th-place finish overall. That was so heavily tainted that it was hardly even bittersweet, but it wasn't a fraction as aggravating for me as it was for the true frontrunners.

I suppose as with a lot of things, the adage about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link applies to races as well. And I will be very quick to add that my organizartional skills are so sketchy that I couldn't direct a race if my life depended on it.

ANYHOW, I hope that you wake up one of these days and see your name in the results. I'm not sure how exactly this all works, but the computer folks have to have your results somewhere.......or, do they just view you as some woebegone missing-person Jane Doe?

*And I can feel guilty about this, as I am one of many who on a hot day will take two waters -- one to drink, one to dump over my head. I don't know how NOT to do this, as it's pretty universal, and it certainly helps me a lot. But if it were announced befoe the start of the race that fluids were in short supply, please do nort douse -- I would comply.

2010-04-18 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2799612

User image

Champion

MANDY -

My lobsteryear was '08, and it wasn't as cold as yours, i don't think. Maybe 60, and I could stretch it down to 58, but definitely not 52. The blessed thing about my lobster was that the swim course was shortened a bit -- my time was 22:20. I thought I swam well that day, but me going 22:20 for 1500 isn't going to happen without some outside assistance. (Such as my 19:21 for the NYC Tri, where the assistance comes in the form of hold-on-for-dear-life currents in the Hudson. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!)

Boats are a worry, but it's good you have cottagers there, and better still that the cottagers are aware of you -- even if you are a mystifying curiosity piece!

One of my sites is kind of close to a bach, so at least when high summer hits, there's usually somebody there. The other place is along the Rideau River in ottawa, and there there are lots of boats, but they are restricted to the middle of the river, mostly. What I have to worry about are all the competitive kayakers from the Rideau canoe Club, who essentially use the same "lane" I do. I think they often go into anaerobic shock or something, and might not even see me, and one day I'll be skewered by an ultra-sleek kayak. And I would NOT make a very appealing figurehead, to be sure!

2010-04-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2799779

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

I gave up today when it was 7-0. 7-0. To Tampa. I hate that team. 7-0. *@!%@!*+#*!!!

2010-04-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2799781

User image

Champion

Did 11km today on my very worrisome feet with their incipient neuromas. Or so it seems. More than one, also. But they survived it quite well, and the final 7km were better than the first 4km which, truth told, weren't bad at all. I have no idea what brought this on, and in multiples to boot. i thought my neuroma problmes were behind me in early '06, and definitely in late '07, but maybe not. Anyhow, 11km is satisfying given how I have felt the past few days.

2010-04-18 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2799785

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Post-run today I did a cold water soak of my feet. Grabbing the thermometer from its storage bin, it read 67. After being submersed for about five minutes it got down to 54, and held there. I can believe the 54, and if I had to extend that from tips of toes to top of head, i would not be happy!

Thinking about Steve and his being quite tolerant of 55, remember --- he regularly does ICE BATHS!!!! So, of course he will find 55 in the ocean quite pleasant, possibly even balmy! Those silly Californians, eh?

2010-04-18 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Just discovered I need to wait longer than 45 minutes after mexican food before my first brick of the season.

Oh well it felt good overall (the running and biking that is)

Rangers couldn't beat a little league team in yankee uniforms. 

2010-04-18 5:23 PM

New user
Well I now have a new loved one to show off to the group...

She is a used Cervelo P2K. She has been used and loved before, but now she is mine.

Going in for a tuneup tomorrow and I should be riding her by next weekend!

As for a name...I have no idea where to begin. Little Red maybe (as my car is also red) or The Mistress (my other bike is sure to get jealous)...I'm just happy to have her home!

However, this has now added a few things for me to look into buying. Namely tires and an aero bottle.

My Cervelo P2K
2010-04-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2799234

New user
SteveB,

Thankfully, they split while I was taking them off in the shower... So no one needs to worry about gathering money for bail!

I do have another suit, however its one of those baggy board short styles. Not keen on using it now but may have to. That will certainly slow me down!

Thanks! It is nice to see the swim times coming down. I just hope I can keep them coming down for some time. I have been feeling very good in the water lately which is a good feeling.

I'm not too thrown off by the shortened run. It was a long day yesterday and the run is what suffered. Oh well...tomorrow is a new training day!

Now for another question...In my search for knowledge (and a good deal), I've acquired more tri books than I think I will ever know what to do with. I've read the Dummies book and Friel's beginner book. Now what is your recommendations for tackling this list:

• Fitzgerald's Training Guide (I guess since I am using a plan from it, I should read the 20 page intro)...
  • Triathlete Magazine Complete Triathlon Book
  • Training Bible Edition 3
  • Swim Bike Run
  • Fink's beIRONfit (really this is an interest thing at this point and was such a good deal what the heck)
  • Sport's Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Paleo Diet for Athlete's (again but out of interest and a good deal, not sure if I could follow it)
  • Total Immersion Revised & Updated
  • Chi Running
And, holy cow on the size of the Triathlete Magazine & The Bible! Those are gonna take some time!
2010-04-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2799622

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
TriD64 - 2010-04-18 1:44 PM
LadyNorth - 2010-04-18 11:05 AM Hi,

Denise
Denise If you have a local/regional DNR office, they may be tracking the lake temps. Seems like they report it related to fishing conditions. Mark

Hey thanks - I've got an acquaintance who's a retired DNR guy - I'll see what he knows.
Denise
2010-04-18 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2799589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2010-04-18 1:17 PM DENISE again - Ahh, I just saw your note accompanying Mandy's photo, and even though I hit on it in the above post, I'll get more serious here. If you have someone who can be there with you (even on shore), you can try just about any tempersature. Steve is in the Pacific today, I believe, and he's figuring on mid 50s (can you say brrr??). As I said above, that's below my basic comfort level -- even with a neoprene hood or multiple latex caps. When I submerge and get an ice-cream headache that persists beyond a minute, that's a strong hint that I'm not going to be happy for long. The other factor, however, is air temperature. I have swum happily in quite cold water --- but only when the air temp has been in the mid-70s or above. It took me a few years to figure it out, but swimming in 60-degree water when the air temp is less than 60 is a recipe for very frigid, useless fingers. As long as the hands have warm air to travel through every recovery phase, I'm fine; other wise, I'm in trouble. Many sources counsel that one should NEVER do open water swims alone, regardless of water temp. I break this rule about 80 times a year, but that's because were I to obey it I would never swim in the wild. Things change if you have a place in which you can kind of hug the shore and never get deep, but my two "swimming holes" don't offer that - especially one of them. If you are detemined to swim when it's quite cold, here are a few things that might help: (1) Wear 2 or 3 latex caps (2) Neoprene hoods work well. (AT $$) (3) Neoprene booties work well. (At $$) (4) Apply Vaseline or BodyGlide to your fingers and toes - but if you use Vaseline, don't let it come in contact with the wetsuit (petroleum-based products like to dine on neoprene) (5) If you use Vas or BG on your hands, adjust your goggles first! I'd like to tell you that I only made this mistake once in my life and then learned a permanent life-lesson about how hard it is to see through goggles that have been gummed up with Vas of BG, but.....it's happened top me about four times. Duh? Has any of this, or the other post, halped at all? I think I'm struggling with staying at the task at hand!

You are an absolute treasure trove of info and advice.  Right after my May 1 tri (pool swim), I'm going to check out my favorite lake.  I'll bribe my husband to come watch me - I'll buy him lunch or something.
Thanks so much,
Denise
ps - sorry about your neuromas
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276