BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Steve B - bummer about the neuromas - that really sucks.  Boo on injuries!

I lied about the temp @ Lobsterman last year - I just checked - bouy temp was 54 degrees, not 52 - so much warmer!  All I can say is I kind of had claws, not hands when I got out. 

A blogger friend just finished New Orleans 70.3 in 5:32:33 - he is pretty psyched, I will see him at Timberman (most likely, just his back)  He is eating cheese grits right now I think.

I am looking forward to hearing how Steve A's swim was. 

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-04-18 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Mark,
I just found a "fishing report" website and it said that in the Pine River area "water temperatures are hovering in the forties".
I'll check it again in a couple weeks.  Thanks again for the suggestion.
Denise
2010-04-18 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2799878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
smarx - 2010-04-18 5:23 PM Well I now have a new loved one to show off to the group...

She is a used Cervelo P2K. She has been used and loved before, but now she is mine.

Going in for a tuneup tomorrow and I should be riding her by next weekend!

As for a name...I have no idea where to begin. Little Red maybe (as my car is also red) or The Mistress (my other bike is sure to get jealous)...I'm just happy to have her home!

However, this has now added a few things for me to look into buying. Namely tires and an aero bottle.

My Cervelo P2K

Nice Ride  Enjoy 
2010-04-19 7:56 AM

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Siamese twins, separated at birth! Just like mine from '01-'08. See:
www.zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/10127-103-10162465/1/
www.zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/10125-103-10130943/1/
www.zoomphoto.ca/viewphoto/10064-101-10067009/1/400/

Those are all from 2007. (And how come they didn't come up blue, and ready to click on? I never understand this stuff!)

It was a great, great bike. I am so happy you have yours, and I hope it is as terrific for you as mine was for me.

2010-04-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2799831

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

45 minutes between Mexican food and your FIRST brick of the season, or between ANY brick of ANY season?!? Man, if you survived that you must have the constitution of a canal horse!

2010-04-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2800733

User image

Champion

MANDY -

54. Oh. I feel SO much better on your behalf!

And no report from Steve yet on bobbing about in the Pacific for an hour yesterday. 55....the Pacific...for an hour.......THAT'S an ice bath to reckon with!

I had New Orleans in my sights until December, abandoned it, thought about it again about a month ago, then abandoned it. Now you have me thinking about it again ------ and I'm a day too late! Aw, so it goes.....

2010-04-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2799900

User image

Champion

SHAUN again -

So many books, so little time!

Okay.

Spending time with the Training Bible is almost always time well spent. When the first edition came out I treid to read it cover to cover, but I got overwhelmed and my mind turned to mush and I decided to just approach it either with a specific concept in mind, or pick it up any old time and just turn to a page and see what was there.

Sports Nutrition is excellent (Monique Ryan, right?), but again for me it is more like how I approach the Training Bible. And if you can succeeed in committing all of the aspects of the Glycemic Index to memory, you're way, way ahead of me!

Paleo Diet is fun, intriguing, even. That one rewards more of a systematic approach.......although having said that, i still haven't read it straight through.

Swim Bike Run (Wes Hobson's?) has good stuff for both the beginner and the intermediate triathlete.

Total Immersion might best be approached looking for specific drills and the concepts behind them. I say that mostly becasue you have so many books to deal with, but also because you seem to be doing really well with your swimming as it is coming naturally to you.

Chi Running is about the same in my mind as thr T.I. book, but maybe pay more attention to the introductory chapters. Chi Running (or any midfoot/forefoot running program) should be approached kind of cautiously so as to avoid certain injuries. I BELIVE in the benefits of Chi Running, but for most people it can't just be jumped into headfirst. So the theoretical and background information is probably quite valuable.

Fnk's beIRON fit is fun, kind of voyeuristically for you at this point, with no irons in your sights. But his thoughts on training sensibly are good at any level, and it's just kind of fine to know what is Out There -- if you ever choose to do that. (Steve is using Fink in his prep for IMSG.)

And you might as well read Don Quixote --- tilting at windmills, and all that sort of thing, kind of feels like what we're doing at times!

2010-04-19 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2797586

User image

LadyNorth - 2010-04-16 6:34 PM Hi,

SteveA
I think I saw on your race website that the race could be followed on-line.  Do you know what that means?  Are they reporting the times after each leg or something like that? I'm sure a lot of us would like to see how you're doing
Denise
ps - I almost fainted when I saw what your IM entry fee was - haha

It's on their site somewhere - not sure how it works.  But my bib number is 965, so I suspect somehow you can type in my bib number and it tells you what checkpoint I passed last and when I passed it. 

Yep - it's a bit of a financial hit.  I've been paying it off since I signed up!  LOL.
2010-04-19 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2798192

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-17 8:52 AM DENISE - Anyhow, enjoy Athlete Tracker and following Steve! I will post info on this before race day, although in general I'm not going to hype races too much before they happen. But Steve has been so open about everything going into IMSG, I don't think he'll mind us beings voyeurs at our computers on race day! (Right, STEVE????)

Nope, not at all.  Whatever happens on race day happens!  But  knowing me, it'll be good motivation during those times when the doubting voices start talking to me to know there are positive vibes out there. 
2010-04-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2799321

User image

manfarr1974 - 2010-04-18 7:53 AM More snow today!  Man, I should have waited to put my skies away I guess.  Here is a picture of my swimming pool - the ice is out, but I am not ready to take a dip yet.

Pleasant Pond - Mandy's Pool

As Tina Fey would say, "I want to go to there!"
2010-04-19 12:13 PM

User image

So, up and down weekend.

Saturday swim:  COLD!!!!  Pacific took my breath away - but I got used to it pretty quickly.  Arms/core were not particularly cold once I got going.  Feet got a little cold, but nothing too bad. The face, on the other hand, was a bit of a shocker.  I've never had the face be that cold - it was like stinging nettles for the first 20 minutes or so.  I only got in about 40 minutes of swimming before I started to get seasick.  There was a pretty big swell on, and it started to get to me.  It was only 7:00 am, so there were no surfers out, no lifeguards and no other swimmers yet, so I headed into shore - better safe than sorry.  I think I'll try again this weekend, a little later (9:00ish?) and hopefully there will be some support out there.  I don't mind swimming alone if there are surfers out there, as I figure if I get exhausted or in trouble, they are often just a few hundred feet away and I can either call out and/or swim over and hang onto a board if necessary. 

Bike:  Killed it.  60 miles in about 2:45 or so.  Of course, it was largely flat PCH work, but it felt good to go fast after all those hills.  I think I had another 10-15 minutes in me if I were really hitting it hard,  but I made sure to keep the HR in the mid-Z2 range.  Regardless, the old hills seem flat now, and the downhills were no longer scary - I stayed aero in all of them...they all seemed so flat now!  LOL.

Hamstring:  UGH.  It feels worse than ever...I think.  WEIRD night - I woke up several times with my right leg completely flexed.  Hurt like a son of a....well, it hurt.  I've no idea what's going on with that other than perhaps I was dreaming and/or subconsciously stressing out about it, and that was causing me to flex the leg in my sleep.  The hammy just "feels" off right now.  Maybe just my mind playing games with me.  Sitting in my chair, I can feel it's tighter than the left, and still feels like there is a knot in there.  I SO want to just go for a quick 2-3 mile run to test it out, but will refrain. 

Tonight: Pool
Tomorrow:  Therapy and bike!

2010-04-19 12:17 PM

User image

smarx - 2010-04-18 3:23 PM Well I now have a new loved one to show off to the group...

She is a used Cervelo P2K. She has been used and loved before, but now she is mine.

Going in for a tuneup tomorrow and I should be riding her by next weekend!

As for a name...I have no idea where to begin. Little Red maybe (as my car is also red) or The Mistress (my other bike is sure to get jealous)...I'm just happy to have her home!

However, this has now added a few things for me to look into buying. Namely tires and an aero bottle.

My Cervelo P2K

Sweet!
2010-04-19 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2798215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
TriD64 - 2010-04-17 12:24 PM

I have an accomplishment to report. Ran in a 10K this morning and had a personal best time of 44:44. My time in this race last year was 48:18. I have had the goal of breaking 45 min since finishing last year, so I'm happy with my time. And, I beat a buddy of in mine this race, who I've never beaten before, so that was sweet too.

Fabulous race time!! You must feel great.

2010-04-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2796339

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SAquavia - 2010-04-16 9:52 AM Rolfing...I'll need to look that up!

SteveA,

Ahh...rolfing. A friend of mine is a rolfer (as in, she went to school for it) and explained the difference between rolfing and plain ol' massage to me. Basically, massaging is like putting your fingers in a moving stream and seeing the water change course temporarily, while rolfing is like moving the rocks around in said stream and changing its course permanently. In other words, things get moved around your body to make it "better". Frankly, I don't need anything getting moved around and it sounds very painful, but it could be useful...I guess.

Kasia
2010-04-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2798215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
TriD64 - 2010-04-17 12:24 PM

Re: the weight loss discussion, I can sure relate to those of you who are finding the last 10-20 lbs HARD to lose - that's definitely the case for me. I have recently read Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight" (he is my tri biblioguru). In addition to tracking calories in/out, one of the things that seems to come out of that book is that when you eat also matters. I am trying to time my calories differently, we'll see if it helps.

Mark:

I'm not sure how much of an opportunity you've had to incorporate any of the recommendations from "Racing Weight," but would you recommend the book?

Thanks,

Tracey

2010-04-19 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-18 10:53 AM

More snow today!  Man, I should have waited to put my skies away I guess.  Here is a picture of my swimming pool - the ice is out, but I am not ready to take a dip yet.

As beautiful as the picture looks, I'm sure you've just about had it with snow!

2010-04-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2797045

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
thall0672 - 2010-04-16 2:08 PM Having read the TI book and incorporated all of their techniques, and also having done two TI clinics, I would highly recommend using a TI coach. I think I got a lot more out of my TI training than I did from my instructor at the Y. Don't get me wrong, she was great, but once she gave me the basics, it was TI that really sealed the deal for me, in terms of my abilities and progression. Good luck! Tracey

Tracey,

I was getting that same vibe from my rec center swim classes as you had from your Y instructor. The adult swim lessons seem so basic, not in a bad way, but I feel like I already know the basics and just need to fine-tune my stroke (and get in shape, but that's a whole other problem...haha!). I'll look into the TI thing and maybe start out with some online videos and the book and see where that takes me. I guess I can only get better at this point.

Kasia
2010-04-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2799900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
smarx - 2010-04-18 6:37 PM

SteveB,

Thankfully, they split while I was taking them off in the shower... So no one needs to worry about gathering money for bail!

I do have another suit, however its one of those baggy board short styles. Not keen on using it now but may have to. That will certainly slow me down!

Thanks! It is nice to see the swim times coming down. I just hope I can keep them coming down for some time. I have been feeling very good in the water lately which is a good feeling.

I'm not too thrown off by the shortened run. It was a long day yesterday and the run is what suffered. Oh well...tomorrow is a new training day!

Now for another question...In my search for knowledge (and a good deal), I've acquired more tri books than I think I will ever know what to do with. I've read the Dummies book and Friel's beginner book. Now what is your recommendations for tackling this list:

• Fitzgerald's Training Guide (I guess since I am using a plan from it, I should read the 20 page intro)...
  • Triathlete Magazine Complete Triathlon Book
  • Training Bible Edition 3
  • Swim Bike Run
  • Fink's beIRONfit (really this is an interest thing at this point and was such a good deal what the heck)
  • Sport's Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Paleo Diet for Athlete's (again but out of interest and a good deal, not sure if I could follow it)
  • Total Immersion Revised & Updated
  • Chi Running
And, holy cow on the size of the Triathlete Magazine & The Bible! Those are gonna take some time!

Shaun:

My two cents on your reading list... I'm currently reading Chi Running (on chapter 4) and highly recommend it.

Tracey

2010-04-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2797325

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SteveB,

I think my color-coding/matching may only extend to the bike. The rest can clash. Afterall, my soon-to-be clipless shoes (they're currently in the closet since I don't have pedals for them yet) are bright pink...not my color of choice, but they're functional. And I just agreed with my roommate that we'll be wearing fluorescent in the tri to be able to see each other and keep up/do it together.

On that note, I'm still not convinced I wanna do the tri alongside her/together, which is how she wants to run it, since I want to do my best and not have to worry about keeping up and pushing myself too hard instead of pacing, or waiting in case some miracle happens and I'm faster, etc. But, we did sign up together and have been training together so it's kind of "our" thing to do and it would be nice to cross the finish line at the same time. BUT I don't want the added pressure of worrying about someone else's progress, whether it's faster or slower than mine.

But that's a whole other can of worms I'm not ready to open quite yet. We have time. Right now I need to focus on training so I can finish the thing in the first place!

Kasia
2010-04-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2797586

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
I'm still 4 pages back, but it looks like people's races went well this weekend! From what I briefly saw, there were some PRs. So congrats!

I really should stop going away from the internet world on weekends. It makes Mondays at work quite unproductive...
2010-04-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2798066

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Shaun,

Wow, you're halfway done with work by 9:30?! I'm impressed. Today's goal was to make it in by 10:30. Yeah, I know, I'm a slacker. But in my defense...I really don't have one actually. I'm lucky in that respect since the bossman doesn't care when I come in, or if I come in at all, as long a I get my work done. So yeah, I've been making my own schedule for a while now. It's quite nice, actually, because in the winters I can skip the busy weekend ski days and go on a Wednesday or a random powder day or something. Now I'm more trying to stay with a normal M-F schedule to have weekends free with friends. I'm even trying to be a real adult and get to work at an acceptable hour.

But still...my definition of morning is a few hours off from most people's. That morning ride I was planning on Friday? Didn't happen. I went to sleep instead. I did get one in that afternoon, though. If I can't get a sunrise, I may as well get a sunset, right? Great logic

Good luck with the swims! And the weather. We seem to have the same schizophrenic weather system out here. Neither CO nor MI can make up their minds...

Kasia

2010-04-19 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2798373

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
LadyNorth - 2010-04-17 12:52 PM Hi,

Somebody please tell me why I'm working so darn hard just so that I can come in maybe 20th from the bottom instead of 15th from the bottom.

Denise

Denise,

I feel ya! I'm wondering the same thing Although Lisa's pick-me-up following your post is good enough for me
2010-04-19 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-18 8:53 AM More snow today!  Man, I should have waited to put my skies away I guess.  Here is a picture of my swimming pool - the ice is out, but I am not ready to take a dip yet.

Mandy,

I know you're cursing the snow to go away, but it's so PRETTY. Maybe not in April, I guess I should keep my mouth shut about wanting snow since I may just curse us with a blizzard.

Nevermind, I checked the weather. We should be ok for another week.

Kasia
2010-04-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2801831

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
augeremt - 2010-04-19 2:32 PM
Mandy,

I know you're cursing the snow to go away, but it's so PRETTY. Maybe not in April, I guess I should keep my mouth shut about wanting snow since I may just curse us with a blizzard.

Nevermind, I checked the weather. We should be ok for another week.

Kasia

Kasia - yes, it is pretty for sure - and I do appreciate the beauty of where I live.  You know when snow on the pond is at it's prettiest?  Nov-March.  I would prefer it to be snow free from April-Oct just for my own triathlon training purposes.  I guess if I wasn't such a wimp I would have been swimming out there, now THAT would be a picture.... 

Mandy
2010-04-19 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2801541

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve A- The swim sounds freaking cold and tough.  I remember the needle in the face feeling when I did Lobsterman last year.  Getting in for the pre-swim was key, because if you didn't you were in for a tough go for the first few minutes of the race.

Great bike!  That must feel awesome.

Sucky about the hamstring.  Don't go for a run, OK?  Save it for IMSG.

Mandy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276