BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-04-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2811314

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-04-22 9:10 PM MANDY - Oh, a fine help you are! I figured you'd have it all scoped out with a bead on a few less-costly options......and there you are, opting for the ultra-budget accommodations. Sheesh. Some people's kids! No, i'm not in yet, but am eyeing it seriously. I wrote Tri-maine yesterday asking what the status is, but they haven't answered yet. (More "some people's kids"!!) Looking at the list, I don't think it is close to filling, but maybe I'd better do an actual count and see what the website says capacity is. I'm working on some clever plans that weekend, and we'll see if I can pull them off! Snowing? Again? I think it's time for you to relocate! Sox'll have to play catch-up again, as texas has just scored two. Pooh.

Check out Westbrook and Windham, ME - I think there is a Budget Inn in Westbrook and a few other options there and Windham.  Portland would be too far I think.  Westbrook is about as far from it as Gorham, 5 miles difference (further), Windham is about 10 minutes or so closer. 

If you do it we could meet in the AM and follow each other over.  Anything near the venue is going to be super $$$ as you probably saw.

It would be super cool if you could pull it off!

Come on Sox...Come on! They are good catch uppers.

Mandy

2010-04-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2811316

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Shaun too? That makes five! If we get a few more, maybe we can stage a coup d'etat of the Boulder City Council!

But wait. Doesn't being 61 count for anything, in terms of sleeping surfaces? I mean, I'm a certifiable "elder", aren't I? Oh well, I guess if I lust after Boulder enough, I can extend that to the very surface itself, and thereby be content sleeping on the ground.....

2010-04-22 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2811330

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Thanks for those leads! I knew you'd come through!

Sox now behind 3-0, but have two on in the bottom of the 7th. Texas is going to the bullpen. I'm getting giddy with anticipation!

2010-04-22 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2811335

User image

Champion

WAY TO GO, TEAM!!!

Sometime today we forged ahead of "left, right, repeat....", and we're pulling away this evening. Just last week we were over a hundred posts behind them --- and look at us now! Prolific, or WHAT??
2010-04-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2811219

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Shaun,

I was only kidding about the car thing. Well, kinda. I did recently get somewhat seriously chewed out by a guy at a party who chastised me for driving the 9 blocks from my house to theirs. I thought he was joking at first, but he definitely wasn't. I'm sorry, but it was cold. Not Colorado cold, but definitely Southern California cold. And cloudy. With a possibility of rain. People here don't understand that very important distinction.

And it is much easier to take the bus down to Denver especially if you're headed downtown for a concert, game, or just to go out. It's a straight-shot, free with a bus pass (most companies offer one), and runs every hour. BUT, you're right, I haven't been able to part with my car and most people don't. Then again, everyone out here owns a green Subaru Outback (and has a dog), so my little suburban white Honda Accord sticks out like a sore thumb. It is pretty easy to get around by bike or bus around these parts. That, and it's sunny most of the time so it's much more fun being outdoors.

If you wanna chat Boulder or the surrounding area, let me know. I'd be happy to help! Especially with my sweeping generalizations. Stereotypes exist for a reason, because most of the time they're true

And I think I'm headed towards the spandex direction myself, one clothing purchase at a time. So far I have the shorts (with running shorts over them...I'm still not a walk-around-town-in-my-spandex kinda girl) and the next thing I'm getting is a cycling top. Now that I have a new road bike, getting clipless pedals tomorrow, and soon to own cycling jerseys, I'm turning into one of them. Scary...

Kasia
2010-04-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2811335

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-04-22 9:28 PM MANDY - Thanks for those leads! I knew you'd come through! Sox now behind 3-0, but have two on in the bottom of the 7th. Texas is going to the bullpen. I'm getting giddy with anticipation!

STEVE B-

Hey I think your best bet is Westbrook.  Value-wise, the Super 8 - (207) 854-1881 - I have stayed there before a few years ago.  It was clean and the rooms were not bad.  Portland area is pricey, but Westbrook is kind of a sub-burb of Portland and the Lakes Region.  There is a howard Johnsons, Holiday Inn, and a bunch of other options there. 

Good luck checking stuff out and let me know if I can help!

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-04-22 8:41 PM

2010-04-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2811341

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

I keep forgetting that although the mind and spirit is young, the body may not be so much and some extra cushioning would be nice. So you get the lazy-boy. Ok. I'm out of cushioned places to sleep. Unless you want to share a bed. If I try to snuggle, kick me.

Kasia
2010-04-22 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2811390

User image

Champion

KASIA -

The mind and sprit are young because I'm working on a formula wherein my maturity level is roughly 21 years younger than half my age. That only works for me part of the time (and probably for other people not at all) but at least for the part of the time I manage to keep myself amused.

No, probably as far away from other people is the best place for me to sleep. I have no history of snoring, but one of the genes I inherited from my father predisposed to poor sleeping patterns, so I'm restless and quite mobile when other people are in the deepest parts of their sleep cycles. There is a reason why so many of my posts here are made between 3 and 5am our time.....and there it is!

But gosh! Shucks! Gee whiz! Thanks for the offer anyhow!!

2010-04-23 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Kasia

Open the back gate and i'll just pull my rv in there

About time my Rangers won 
2010-04-23 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Lately I have been running and swimming on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and biking on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday with Saturday as rest day.  With a 3and 1/2 run coming up on Saturday May 1, should I just swim on the Friday before the race and forget about the run, and maybe do a 45 min brick on Thursday and rest on Sunday?
2010-04-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2811274

User image

manfarr1974 - 2010-04-22 5:48 PM
Wow. Close encounter with a moose today on my bike. He had brown eyes and smelled like swamp. That would have hurt. Me, that is

That's AWESOME!  I think giant moose trumps angry dogs. 

2010-04-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2811299

User image

stevebradley - 2010-04-22 6:00 PM SHAUN - Well, that's the frustrating thing about Hammer Gel, that it has no electrolytes. I think every other gel has them in various amounts*, but for users of Hammer Gel, if they want electrolyes that need to use the Endurolytes capsules ---- or HEED, but as I said, I don't equip myself to carry drinks on the run. *And it's not just amounts, it's also the specific electrolytes. All others have sodium, i think, most have potassium, and then it's few that also have magnesium and/or calcium and/or manganese. Huh. I just checked one of my E-Load Energy Gels to see what they offer for magnesium and calcium, and they have a stick-on Nutrition Facts that covers the original packaging. The stick-on does not list either, but peeling it off to looks at the original Nutrition Facts, there it is -- magnesium 7mg, calcium 14%. When I talked to their rep a few years ago at a race in which they were giving away prototype samples, he told me that the big benefit to e-load was the magnesium. It made sense to me, as magnesium is a big benefit for crampers. I wonder why they ditched it, and clacium as well. (Is nothing sacred??)

Shameless plug for EFS coming here:  I did a little label shopping yesterday at the LBS, and it turns out that a single serving (bottle) of First Endurance EFS drink has more electrolytes than the Endurolyte pills - not just total, but across all the particulars (magnesium, calcium, sodium (2 types), etc.).  You'd need to take at least 2 pills for every bottle of EFS you drank on the bike.  I was seriously considering getting some of the Endurolyte pills to try this weekend, but after looking at the labels, I think the EFS will more than do the job. 
2010-04-23 12:52 PM

User image

Little bit of a pride moment last night at the swim.  Ran into a guy who is a coach who tried to pitch me on coaching services last October.  I remember I was in the pool, just starting out for the IM training...
Him:  You do tris?
Me:  Yep
Him:  training for anything?
Me:  Just finished Nautica, and now it's time to train for IMSG
Him:  Is that your first?  Ever do a half?
Me:  Nope.
Him:  Who's your coach?
Me:  Me.
Him:  some long speech about how I'd better consider a coach, its really important, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Anyway, yesterday, he was in the lane next to me.  Almost the EXACT same conversation (he clearly didn't remember me) - with the exception of him asking if I liked my coach. 

Told him I didn't actually have a coach, but I had a heck of a mentor and a great support group.

Thanks to STEVE B and all of you for being such a great part of the process!!!!

7 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 20 seconds till the gun goes off...
2010-04-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2812561

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-04-23 1:39 PM
Wow. Close encounter with a moose today on my bike. He had brown eyes and smelled like swamp. That would have hurt. Me, that is

LOL it was crazy, I will tell you that.  You know, it was a beautiful evening, the peepers were croaking, the river was do gorgeous, I was cranking in aero postion, watching the light play on the river when...AHHH BIG MOOSE! I still do not know how I missed it.  But like I said, he had brown eyes, and he was surprised too because his eyes showed more white when I hollered OH S#@T.
2010-04-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2812592

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
STEVE A - you just talked me into trying EFS. 

AND - awesome story at the pool - it is really kind of funny he didn't recognize you the second time!
2010-04-23 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SteveB:

Big night ahead for Boston sports! Any predictions?

2010-04-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2811252

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-04-22 8:39 PM

LET'S PLAN A FIELD TRIP!! KASIA IS THE HOST!

Well, maybe not really and truly, but if I may add myself to the Boulder-lusters (that would be Steve and Mandy), that makes a troika of wanna-be-theres. Any other Boulderphiliacs?

I've only been to Boulder once, but I totally loved it when I was there. We went to house party with the most incredible view of the mountains... my husband and I could totally see ourselves living there.

2010-04-23 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2811297

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-04-22 9:00 PM

Hey guys and girls,

Just wanted to say HI from Savannah, Georgia.   Have the computer for a short while - long enough to log my rides for the last 2 weeks - fantastic trip and great tour - still 3 more days of vacation left.   Then I will have to spend a few hours once I get home to catch up on all the news.

I'm starting to get hints already about being time to get off the computer.  

All the best,

Hi Anne!

Glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation.

2010-04-23 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-04-23 1:52 PM

Little bit of a pride moment last night at the swim.  Ran into a guy who is a coach who tried to pitch me on coaching services last October.  I remember I was in the pool, just starting out for the IM training...
Him:  some long speech about how I'd better consider a coach, its really important, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Anyway, yesterday, he was in the lane next to me.  Almost the EXACT same conversation (he clearly didn't remember me) - with the exception of him asking if I liked my coach. 

Told him I didn't actually have a coach, but I had a heck of a mentor and a great support group.

Great story...

The countdown is now really on!!

2010-04-23 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2812709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-04-23 2:41 PM

SAquavia - 2010-04-23 1:39 PM

LOL it was crazy, I will tell you that.  You know, it was a beautiful evening, the peepers were croaking, the river was do gorgeous, I was cranking in aero postion, watching the light play on the river when...AHHH BIG MOOSE! I still do not know how I missed it.  But like I said, he had brown eyes, and he was surprised too because his eyes showed more white when I hollered OH S#@T.

Kind of reminds me of a story my friend who does tri's told me (she's done 3 IM's - incredible!). Anyway, one day she was swimming in a local lake and swam face-first into a huge snapping turtle. Now with my pond swimming anxieties, that would be enough to send me under!!

2010-04-23 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2813105

User image

Champion

GANG!

I just got home from a full day away, and realized from some of today's comments that I missed some post from yesterday -- Anne, Mandy's moose, Shaun and Bluesfest.

It's to dinner now, and then lots of domestic stuff, and then watch the Bruins, Celtics, and the Red Sox ALL WIN!! Yeah!!!

I'll be back soon-ish, and in the meantime, everyone enjoy your Friday evening!

2010-04-23 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2811673

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

That sounds about right. I'd keep the Wednesday run normal, and for the brick on Thursday, make it moderate intensity at most -- just enough to make you feel ready, but fresh. And a Friday swim won't hurt at all, as long as you keep it under 7000m.

As for the Sunday rest day, that's a good idea -- or, do an easy, small-ring ride just to work out any bad stuff out of your legs, if there is any there.

Are you feeling fairly psyched about it?

2010-04-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2811665

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Dwayne - 2010-04-23 5:17 AM Kasia

Open the back gate and i'll just pull my rv in there

Dwayne,

Haha! Awesome. This'll be one heck of a party

Kasia

Edited by augeremt 2010-04-23 6:40 PM
2010-04-23 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2812561

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana

A moose?! Last week I had to dodge a prairie-dog and a jackrabbit, and I thought I was living on the wild side. Glad there was no collision on your end
2010-04-23 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SAquavia - 2010-04-23 11:52 AM Little bit of a pride moment last night at the swim.  Ran into a guy who is a coach who tried to pitch me on coaching services last October.  I remember I was in the pool, just starting out for the IM training...

Great story! Maybe you should look into coaching...being such a good self-coach and all. j/k of course. And the final countdown begins!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276