BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-04-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2087615

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED
The tri went well.  It was converted to a duathlon because a light fell in the pool.  I thought it was something cool, like a light falling from the ceiling - but no, just live electricity from one of the lights in the wall. 

I put myself in the 8:30/mile group and the start went pretty smoothly.  I slotted myself in too slowly which worked to my advantage as I picked off slower runners bit by bit.  I ended up doing a 7:30 first mile, which was WAY faster than I expected.

Onto the bike transition:  Really nothing - run into the paddock try to put the helmet on quickly grab the bike and run out of the paddock without tripping.  This 6 mile ride was my first ride in over 10 years, probably more.  I set the gearing for an easy spin.  Thankfully the course was flat so I didn't have to shift much after I found a good gear.  Just into an easier gear when I switched directions into the wind.

T2:  Rubber legs for about 100 yards, pushed the bike into the paddock, found a rack and got going again.  I had planned to really push the second run, but just didn't have it in the tank.  I still did well, about 7:50 or so.

Now, I like to run from person to person, trying to pick them off one by one.  This works well in a bigger race where there's so many people its hard to know what's happening.  There were 250 people in this race, so I thought it was a little more obvious.  At about the last 1/4 mile, I'm catching up to this guy - he sticks out because he's wearing black and yellow kit - I slowly get closer and closer and closer.  Now the problem comes up - I'm going to pass him about 50 feet from the finish line, and that just seems sh!tty but I'm not going to "let him win" either.  As I pass him, I tap him on the back and say "C'mon, let's go".  I thought he would pick it up a bit and stay shoulder to shoulder.  No.  He sprints to the end.  I beat him by a step, and felt good about "winning."

Results:  1 mi/6 mi/1 mi race in 35:53, 12th in my age group and 86 overall.

2009-04-21 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2095694

User image

Pro
NJ
bwingate - 2009-04-19 6:28 PM The tri went well.  It was converted to a duathlon because a light fell in the pool.  I thought it was something cool, like a light falling from the ceiling - but no, just live electricity from one of the lights in the wall. 

I put myself in the 8:30/mile group and the start went pretty smoothly.  I slotted myself in too slowly which worked to my advantage as I picked off slower runners bit by bit.  I ended up doing a 7:30 first mile, which was WAY faster than I expected.

Onto the bike transition:  Really nothing - run into the paddock try to put the helmet on quickly grab the bike and run out of the paddock without tripping.  This 6 mile ride was my first ride in over 10 years, probably more.  I set the gearing for an easy spin.  Thankfully the course was flat so I didn't have to shift much after I found a good gear.  Just into an easier gear when I switched directions into the wind.

T2:  Rubber legs for about 100 yards, pushed the bike into the paddock, found a rack and got going again.  I had planned to really push the second run, but just didn't have it in the tank.  I still did well, about 7:50 or so.

Now, I like to run from person to person, trying to pick them off one by one.  This works well in a bigger race where there's so many people its hard to know what's happening.  There were 250 people in this race, so I thought it was a little more obvious.  At about the last 1/4 mile, I'm catching up to this guy - he sticks out because he's wearing black and yellow kit - I slowly get closer and closer and closer.  Now the problem comes up - I'm going to pass him about 50 feet from the finish line, and that just seems sh!tty but I'm not going to "let him win" either.  As I pass him, I tap him on the back and say "C'mon, let's go".  I thought he would pick it up a bit and stay shoulder to shoulder.  No.  He sprints to the end.  I beat him by a step, and felt good about "winning."

Results:  1 mi/6 mi/1 mi race in 35:53, 12th in my age group and 86 overall.

Hey Bruce, sounds like you had a great race!  Congrats on your first bike ride.  Great story on your finish.  I had a similar experience in a 5k, only it was a 10 year old in a spidey man outfit and he beat me soundly.  Hope your running prep for the marathon is going well.
2009-04-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1856606

User image

Master
New Jersey
Nice job in the tri Bruce!!!

2009-06-22 6:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

So - can we bring this mentoring group back from the dead?

I did the Long Island Marathon on May 3rd - did ok but I missed my time goal by ten minutes.  I'll just have to try again next year.

After that it was six weeks of half-assed training getting ready for today - the beginning of my twelve week program getting ready for The Nations Tri.  Tonight I'll swim 1000 yards in the pool and then try to do a one hour hill workout on the treadmill.  That's a tough workout because I keep upping the speed every nine minutes.

2009-06-23 3:01 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Bad luck missing out by 10 mins but I guess it's motivation to keep going for next year.  How did that hill work out go?

It's winter here and raining fit to burst, horrible in the mornings so..........I'm doing a novice course with my local tri club.  We started on Saturday at 7.30am cycling beside the beach with a 30knot wind coming off the ocean.  I'm really excited about tonight because I'm a rubbish swimmer and we're started right back at basics, concentrating on body position for the next few weeks.  Coach promised us we'd be in the inside pool, I'd hate to be outside in this weather.

edited because they didn't like the word I first used to describe my swimming 

Edited by daisymouse 2009-06-23 3:02 AM
2009-06-23 6:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
The hill workout on the tready is tough - itseven tougher when the power at the gym goes out six times in 45 minutes!

We've had horrible weather up and down the east coast of the states 7 days of rain out of 10.  Spring was wet and cold. 

Good luck with the swimming - I'm just getting the hang of it now.

2009-06-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2236022

Extreme Veteran
I'm trying to swim with a group in the Long Island Sound (relatively clean, relatively calm north shore of Long Island, NY), but with all the rain we have been having they closed the beaches due to "run off" from the storm sewers.

I stink at the swim too, but I'm getting better.  I've just been putting in time at the pool concentrating on looking down and staying balanced when I turn to breath.  Its helping.  I'm trying to pay attention to my stroke too and to rotate and stretch out.  Little by little I'm getting a feel for how it should be and, more amazingly, I can sense when my balance starts going off.  I don't know how to fix it easily, but I know its wrong.
2009-06-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2236271

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
The swimming session went really well - lots of drills to encourage good body position so I can practise them again on my own.  I never really learnt to swim as a kid (in Scotland) - just how not to drown and even then it was pretty half-hearted as we knew the hypothermia would get us.  Here, everyone swims so well, having learnt good technique from a very young age.  My 5 year old is at lessons every week during term and every day during the school holidays.  He was really impressed when I told him we'd been doing "torpedo arms".

I reckon knowing that your balance is off is half the battle and swimming in a group, I think, really helps - with me, I really need that extra push being with other people gives me.  I googled Long Island Sound and it looks a great place to swim (though not in winter I guess).  I know what you mean about the run-off though; I had to get over my river demons by swimming in the Swan river and one day I swam through this current of stinking water which just left me retching with the smell.

The MOST exciting thing though was that I got to order my tri club cycle jersey with "Beware the Barracuda" on the front.  
2009-07-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2236419

Extreme Veteran
There was a Scotch comic who was pretty funny and popular in the late 90's who did a bit about swimming on school trips in Scotland.  I can't remember the details but it was basically a combination of 1) ice cold ocean, 2) a beach made of boulders and 3) woolen bathing costumes.  [I hate to admit this, but I am just old enough to remember those].

On to training:  I did a 13 mile bike ride this morning.  Kept telling myself "pedal pedal pedal don't coast"  Made it into the big ring a few times and did OK.  I still have to upload my data, but I did 13.x miles in right around 51 minutes.  Not stellar, but I feel really good about it.  I know I need a lot more seat time, but I'm hoping to get my average speed up over 15 mph.

Tomorrow morning is a 6 mile run.  I've been beating the cr@p out of myself on the treadmill doing an hourlong hill workout, and man does that make just running outside seem so much easier!

2009-07-04 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Hey you two!  Thought this one might be shut down for good but still look every few weeks.  Bruce, sounds like you are in a good place for starting your training.  Daisy, at least the winter down under is better than the winter in Scotland.  I have my first Oly on the 26th of July and am sorely undertrained.  Work/life keep getting in the way.  Oh well, no time goal just hope to finish and still want to do another.

Happy 4th!
2009-07-08 4:50 AM
in reply to: #2261618

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
My goal for next year is an oly at the end of the season, I sympathise, it's hard sometimes to get the training in, everybody has colds at the moment, no swine flu though :-)  Yep, winter here is a whole lot more bearable than in Edinburgh.  It doesn't rain as much there but the wind chill is brutal; the winds coming howling across the Russian Steppes, over the North Sea and hit the city full blast. Look forward to hearing all about the oly and I'm sure you'll do really well.

Bruce, I catch myself coasting all the time, we had a coach once who threatened to rename her training group "Don't be afraid of you're big chain ring".  I too find it hard to find saddle time, I guess because I have always biked and it's my best discipline, it's the one that suffers when I don't have enough time. I'm pretty sure the comedian was Billy Connolly - I remember that too.  Genius.

Hope you had a great 4th July
Daisy

2009-07-16 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2269279

Extreme Veteran
Two months to my first real triathlon - and I still have to get my butt into the ocean for a real swim.  I also have yet to swim more than 150 yds straight.  If things go according to plan, I'll go out to Cedar Beach on Sunday (a little tired and hung over from our BBQ on Saturday).

Running and biking I'm all set with.  I bike a hilly 12 miles during the week and I'm building to 20 miles on the weekend long ride.  My typical morning run is just shy of 10k. 

My transitions will stink.  Such is life.  I'm going to have fun and finish in the middle.
2009-07-17 2:51 AM
in reply to: #2288757

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Fun is what it's all about, how long is the swim length?  You've got a whole 8 weeks to work on it and the bike and run you can just maintain.  My transitions always stink, my brain just seems to freeze.  Last time - I carefully laid out everything in the order to put on and then put them on in a different order and found myself trying to put my helmet on with my sunnies in my hand instead of putting them on my face first .
2009-07-21 4:07 PM

Slidell/Pearl River
hey is this thread still active??  i had work problems and made a big move from south florida to louisiana... now i have to get back in shape, gonna go for the new orleans half ironman in april...  setting sights on the long one...
2009-07-21 4:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Yes, this group is limping along.  I'm busting my butt training and I figured I had to put it someplace.  Daisy is in the winter way down there.

If you're quiet you can hear the echo and the crickets.

You've got about 9 months for the HIM - that should be plenty of time.  Which plan are you using?
2009-07-21 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Not just limping, but closer to being on life support.  Occasional heart beat detected.  I'm doing my first OLY this weekend and am very nervous about the swim.  Won't be wetsuit legal and I had a nasty experience with currents a few weeks ago that is messing with my head.  Just found out I am in the last wave to start...a full two hours after the 1st sprint wave to go out.  I am a serious contender for LTF.  Gotta get over it. 

Walt's first IM is this weekend if you want to send him an inspire.

2009-07-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2300095

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Hi Michael, yep, we're hanging on by a thread - New Orleans HIM sounds very glamorous, I just can't imagine that level of training, wishing you well.  How are you enjoying living somewhere new? I'm afraid my US geography is hopeless and I had to look up louisiana on google so I have learnt something new today. As Bruce said, it's winter down here and I'm freezing - sitting typing this with a duvet round me.  Our house is a typical Perth house, designed for hot summers but rubbish in the winter.  It's been raining for weeks and a lot of the local wildlife has moved inside.  We've had plenty of Huntsmen spiders - harmless but scary when you come across them unawares as they're about the size of my hand and hairy.  The rats are less welcome, if only the spiders would eat them!  Still training well, have joined my local tri club and am doing one of their novice training programs which has been excellent.  Last night I learned to do flip turns and I'm ridiculously chuffed about it.

Kim, good luck with the Oly, let me know how it goes.  Bad luck with the wave start - all that hanging around being nervous, oh goodie.  I know it's easy to say, but try to relax and enjoy it.  eurydice79 posted her race report from when she came last in an Oly but then she went on to complete her first HIM in a fabulous time and had a great event.  Her race reports are a fabulous read and you might something helpful there, or they might just scare the beJesus out of you Smile  Thanks for the heads up about Walt.

ATB
Daisy
x

2009-07-22 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2299738

User image

Pro
NJ
lforce - 2009-07-21 5:07 PM hey is this thread still active??  i had work problems and made a big move from south florida to louisiana... now i have to get back in shape, gonna go for the new orleans half ironman in april...  setting sights on the long one...

Welcome back Mike!! Glad to hear you've landed and are in a position to get back into tri's.  Very cool on the HIM.  Guess you can train pretty easily through the winter there.  Have you thought about which "long one" you'd like to do?
2009-07-28 5:32 AM

Extreme Veteran

This week looks like it might actually be shaping up OK.

I had a good run on the treadmill.  Its possible - I use the "Hill" setting and fight for dear life to keep up.  I've also started doing the "0 to 1650 in Six Weeks" swim program.  The training for my tri is all over the place right now so I'm not too worried about getting away from my "plan".

I also have some extra time on the morning when I bike so I'm going to try to get in two long rides too.  Right now, a long ride is about 22-25 miles or 1.5 hours.

2009-07-29 2:04 PM

Slidell/Pearl River
well to get back into it, i ran 3 miles with the local tri coach and then swam for an hour... felt good, but have definately lost my endurance...  gonna go out and do some cycling with tri coach as well sat, she's doing brick 60mi bike then some dist running, not sure, but im just gonna do the bike and see how far i can make it..   no running for me for a bit as i've just stubbed my toe (fracture?) while tubing and having too good of time on the river.. lol, seems like i always have something injured (still issues with shoulder as well)....    but ready to start back and there is a local tri group here that im joining and will start trying to go longer and longer
2009-07-30 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2315532

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
bad luck about the toe, Mike, hope it's just a ding and not broken.  This injury thing is such a b1tch; I'm increasing my run distance slowly and so far the bursitis is under control but I'm having to be really disciplined and hold back as I don't want that or my disc to flare up again.  For once in my life, I'm being sensible and increasing training really gingerly as I know if I go too fast too soon, I'll be right back water walking again.  One day, I'd love to do our local HIM but I just don't know if my body will hold together for those kind of distances.  I've joined our local tri club and it's great - a few days ago my membership card arrived for Triathlon Australia so I'm now insured with extra cover from the paraplegic athletes association, cheery thought!  Being a member makes me feel like I'm really doing it seriously now, not just someone who's done a few women's try-tri events.  Careful now girl, pride goeth before a fall :-)

2009-09-03 1:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well boys & girls, there are 10 days left until my "A" race.  I'll be doing the Nations Tri in D.C. on September 13.  I should be thrilled, and I am, but this training thing just didn't go well

OWS:  basically, none.  I went to the ocean once in my wetsuit and it was < 55F.  I swam 20 yards and quit.  I did a beach vacation and swam maybe 500 yards without a wetsuit for the whole week.  Generally though, the water doesn't bother me and I can swim.  I'm pretty sure I won't be last

Bike:  Should be riding longer more, but I typically knock out 15-20 miles at 15 mph.  Good enough to get me through 40k.  My, um, tender bits will be a little more tender but I'll finish.

Run:  Should be aces.  Slow but fine

I have done no transitions.  They will be slow. 

Overall, I'm not worried.  I really have done harder things.  I'm looking forward to it.  If I survive the swim, I'll survive the race.  And I'll be wearing a big black rubber life jacket.

I'll keep you guys posted.
2009-09-05 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2387720

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

Good luck, Bruce, I'm sure you'll do great - remember, you're always better prepared than a lot of people out there.  The key thing about transitions is not to panic, just line everything up in the order that you want to put it on.  Like you, if I survive the swim, that's the main thing and I know I'll finish.  Just keep chilled and let us know how it goes.  Will be cheering you on from down here.
2009-09-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2390993

Extreme Veteran
Nations Tri in 3 days.
No more swimming or biking until sunday.  Just a quick dip in the Patomac to see what its like.

I drive down to D.C. tomorrow.  I'm getting nervous and I'm having a cr@ppy couple of days at work.
2009-09-12 2:17 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I get nervous too and always have a terrible night's sleep before a race, just think of the adrenalin as your friend.  Look forward to reading the report.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14