BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-02-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2557130

Veteran
Outside B'more
Subject: RE: DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come!
Met with my new personal trainer last night. I have a bunch of sessions that I haven't used up from when my old trainer left the gym over the summer. We went over short term and long term goals so I'm looking forward to working out with him to see how he can help improve my strength and overall cardio before my HIM. He's going to help me work on losing some weight in the next couple of months just so it will be easier for me and my joints for the HIM. It will be good to get back into something else other than running, biking and swimming. But honestly I hate doing cardio with a personal trainer..LOL..they are such sadomasochistic torturers!! But I know it will be good for me and I need it.

After the meeting I did a bit of work on the stair climber and treadmill at a good incline. Roads have been cleared pretty well so I might be able to run outdoors tonight (I hope). Went to a Bike Swap Sunday and got a good deal on a Cannondale mountain bike for trail riding when the snow melts a bit more and my snowshoes should be delivered today so hopefully I can get some use out of them in all this snow and get some great leg workouts!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2010-02-16 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2675127

User image

Veteran
Auburn
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-02-16 10:10 AM Met with my new personal trainer last night. I have a bunch of sessions that I haven't used up from when my old trainer left the gym over the summer. We went over short term and long term goals so I'm looking forward to working out with him to see how he can help improve my strength and overall cardio before my HIM. He's going to help me work on losing some weight in the next couple of months just so it will be easier for me and my joints for the HIM. It will be good to get back into something else other than running, biking and swimming. But honestly I hate doing cardio with a personal trainer..LOL..they are such sadomasochistic torturers!! But I know it will be good for me and I need it. After the meeting I did a bit of work on the stair climber and treadmill at a good incline. Roads have been cleared pretty well so I might be able to run outdoors tonight (I hope). Went to a Bike Swap Sunday and got a good deal on a Cannondale mountain bike for trail riding when the snow melts a bit more and my snowshoes should be delivered today so hopefully I can get some use out of them in all this snow and get some great leg workouts! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Sounds like you are are the right track to get ready for your 1/2 Ironman.  Don't skip your swims.  They are important. 
2010-02-16 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2669552

Veteran
cat grimstad - 2010-02-12 9:55 AM is anyone else having trouble with overtraining. I find by the end of the week I am dragging. Last night I skipped Yoga because my Husband wasn't going to go I can't remember the last time I skipped a workout because no one would go with me. And this is only winter maitanaice. How will I manage when I have to add on the miles.

I do have a Half marathon in two weeks, a full Marathon in may and the Half Ironman In Aug. How will I servive.

Overtraining? not at all.  I'm just happy to be back into action.  A terrible cold knocked me out for a couple of weeks and given the weather, I am still sticking to indoors
2010-02-16 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2675786

User image

Master
Baltimore
Chezz - 2010-02-16 2:34 PM
cat grimstad - 2010-02-12 9:55 AM is anyone else having trouble with overtraining. I find by the end of the week I am dragging. Last night I skipped Yoga because my Husband wasn't going to go I can't remember the last time I skipped a workout because no one would go with me. And this is only winter maitanaice. How will I manage when I have to add on the miles.

I do have a Half marathon in two weeks, a full Marathon in may and the Half Ironman In Aug. How will I servive.

Overtraining? not at all.  I'm just happy to be back into action.  A terrible cold knocked me out for a couple of weeks and given the weather, I am still sticking to indoors

I second the not overtraining bit.  I was super motivated upon finishing the season and I think I did some great training through the beginning of Jan.  Then switching to a new plan (or having no plan for a couple weeks) killed me.  I lost some time to low motivation, a lot due to a couple weeks of business trips and a trip to my parent's, some reduced efforts from a cold and lost some time due to massive snowstorms.  I'm barely hitting half my planned time, although much of that has been beyond my control.  Also, on sort of an intervention by my gf, I dropped the calorie counting becuase she thought it had caused me to develop some unhealthy eating habits.  So now I weighed in at 160 even this morning, and that was after a morning trainer session.  During the race season I was 147-148, and low 150s most of winter.  I'm in sort of a low place too...

However, I do remember what its like to be super motivated.  I'm very competitive, and to me the plan was my competition.  Each workout was a race I could win by doing it, and doing it well.  When I didn't I lost (and it felt like losing to me).  To my credit, I think I beat my plan.  It took a huge effort but it was worth it, because it was so rewarding to "win".  If you can get into that mindset, I think it would help, it certainly did with me.  My problem is that the competition I want to do, to win, has turned from "winning' into fulfilling an obligation that I can't wait to just be able to check off and say I did it.  Gotta figure out how to change that back...

But with all that, I can't wait to get back on track, I've missed so much recently, and the stuff thats beyond my control is what's really angering me off the most and hurting my psyche.  I'm hoping that when I can't get back into my routine, it comes back to me.  But I gotta be in San Diego the first week of March, and the baggage fee for the contract carrier is $175 each way for a bike, but I may be able to get it there and back for as little as $200.  Being able to get outside on a bike may be what I really need at this point though. I have found a Y I can swim at too...

I'm trying to stay positive, the roads are driveable again, the Y is open, running is a challenge but doable and my roommate and gf just signed up for their first sprints and I'm getting some secondhand excitement through them.  I'm turning this around now...

Sorry for the narcissistic, self-pity tirade, but maybe my experience will help you in some way.

Edited by jsiegs 2010-02-16 4:09 PM
2010-02-17 8:45 AM

Veteran
you hit right in the nail jsiegs, the cold weather, illness and travel sidelined me for weeks and I've only begun to train again this week.  Indoor training just makes me feel like a hamster!  The other thing that bummed me out is that I was not able to sign up for the duathlon this weekend, my chest is not up to the windy weather yet

but I guess that's why we signed up for the mentor group, to learn and to push everybody into their goals

I'm thinking I have to sign up for for some kind of race in march, maybe a 5K,  having a short term goal has always helped me

cheers everyone and enjoy your week and training! longer are just around the corner
2010-02-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2676095

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2010-02-16 5:07 PM
Chezz - 2010-02-16 2:34 PM

I second the not overtraining bit.  I was super motivated upon finishing the season and I think I did some great training through the beginning of Jan.  Then switching to a new plan (or having no plan for a couple weeks) killed me.  I lost some time to low motivation, a lot due to a couple weeks of business trips and a trip to my parent's, some reduced efforts from a cold and lost some time due to massive snowstorms.  I'm barely hitting half my planned time, although much of that has been beyond my control.  Also, on sort of an intervention by my gf, I dropped the calorie counting becuase she thought it had caused me to develop some unhealthy eating habits.  So now I weighed in at 160 even this morning, and that was after a morning trainer session.  During the race season I was 147-148, and low 150s most of winter.  I'm in sort of a low place too...

However, I do remember what its like to be super motivated.  I'm very competitive, and to me the plan was my competition.  Each workout was a race I could win by doing it, and doing it well.  When I didn't I lost (and it felt like losing to me).  To my credit, I think I beat my plan.  It took a huge effort but it was worth it, because it was so rewarding to "win".  If you can get into that mindset, I think it would help, it certainly did with me.  My problem is that the competition I want to do, to win, has turned from "winning' into fulfilling an obligation that I can't wait to just be able to check off and say I did it.  Gotta figure out how to change that back...

But with all that, I can't wait to get back on track, I've missed so much recently, and the stuff thats beyond my control is what's really angering me off the most and hurting my psyche.  I'm hoping that when I can't get back into my routine, it comes back to me.  But I gotta be in San Diego the first week of March, and the baggage fee for the contract carrier is $175 each way for a bike, but I may be able to get it there and back for as little as $200.  Being able to get outside on a bike may be what I really need at this point though. I have found a Y I can swim at too...

I'm trying to stay positive, the roads are driveable again, the Y is open, running is a challenge but doable and my roommate and gf just signed up for their first sprints and I'm getting some secondhand excitement through them.  I'm turning this around now...

Sorry for the narcissistic, self-pity tirade, but maybe my experience will help you in some way.
I think we are alll pretty much in the similar situation.  I too am tired of training inside.  It's driving me crazy.  You feel like the walls are closing in and you are not making any real "progress".  That, and work and family obligations seem to be overwhelming when you are not putting in the hours you could when the weather cooperated.  I get it.  It's at this point be thankfull that we're all basically still in "base" phase.  This is a great time to learn how to train/control you HR (if you choose to do that) and focus on some nutrition planning and try some new sports to break up the same, same everyday.  I pick up basketball, lacrosse (yes, we have lacrosse in GA) and trail running.  It breaks up the swim, bike run mentality.  This is also a great time to sit down with your "A" race schedule and realistically express the time it will take to get there with your spouse or significant other.  We had this conversation in my house last night since we are both training for IML.  It's a shocker to see the hours we'll both have to put in.  It's my 3rd and her first IM so my base is a little better, but it's gonna take long hours apart this year to make it work.  But, since expectations have been set, it "should" make life a little easier.  Take this time to learn something new about bike maintenance (changing a chain, cassette or pedals).  Practice on your bike.  It makes quick repairs and fine tunes easier during the season.  And, it saves money on bike mechanics.  The Park Tool Bike Blue Book of Bike Repair is a must!  It's a step by step guide to help you.  At the end of the day just enjoy it.  We are all competitive, just by the nature of doing this sport, but remember - until we go pro - non of us are making money at this so take it one day at a time and relax.  Warmer weather is on the way. 

2010-02-17 3:50 PM

Veteran
question:  how useful are the triathlon/swim DVD's?  are they worth buying?  I know it does not beat having a coach but wanted to have your take on them.

any particular suggestions?

Edited by Chezz 2010-02-17 3:52 PM
2010-02-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2678161

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-02-17 4:50 PM question:  how useful are the triathlon/swim DVD's?  are they worth buying?  I know it does not beat having a coach but wanted to have your take on them.

any particular suggestions?
  Great question.  I have no idea.  I've nver used them.  I'd rather spend the money on a swim clinic.  Preference goes to a clinic that will actually videotape my stroke and give me drills and pointers to work on.  There's nothing more "funny" than actually seeing yourself swim on video.  Once the video analysis is done, the trainer then designs drills for you to correct what you are doing wrong.  Money well spent vs a DVD.  but that's just my opinion. 
2010-02-22 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Hey Folks - anyone get some good training in over the weekend?
2010-02-22 10:44 AM

Veteran

I got some great experience this weekend.  It was finally good to ride outside so I decided to go and try my clips.  turns out I need to practice my unclpping abilities a lot more!!!  first stop, 200 yards out, tried and fell.  My pride was hurt more than my leg, but it was still funny. 

Was really glad to go out this weekend.  Getting back to training slowly

hope everybody had a great weekend!

2010-02-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2685868

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-02-22 11:44 AM

I got some great experience this weekend.  It was finally good to ride outside so I decided to go and try my clips.  turns out I need to practice my unclpping abilities a lot more!!!  first stop, 200 yards out, tried and fell.  My pride was hurt more than my leg, but it was still funny. 

Was really glad to go out this weekend.  Getting back to training slowly

hope everybody had a great weekend!

2 years ago I fell in my driveway before the ride started!  Ouch to the ego.

2010-02-23 8:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your coments. I think most of my trouble was a change in diet that knocked me on my . No energy and sleeping 12 to 15 hours a day. I am back to a regular diet and hopfully back to a full schedual. 
I do tend to go all out in all my classes with the exception of running whitch I know how to pace. Also Running is the only one with endurace distance. Everything else is so intense. None of my classes are pace yourself so you can go forever they are give my 80 to 90%.  I am wiped after every workout. 
I am running a half marathon on sunday and have started training for a full marathon in May. The HIM is the first of Aug. and another full marathon mid sept.  
2010-02-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2687759

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-02-23 9:31 AM Thanks everyone for your coments. I think most of my trouble was a change in diet that knocked me on my . No energy and sleeping 12 to 15 hours a day. I am back to a regular diet and hopfully back to a full schedual. 
I do tend to go all out in all my classes with the exception of running whitch I know how to pace. Also Running is the only one with endurace distance. Everything else is so intense. None of my classes are pace yourself so you can go forever they are give my 80 to 90%.  I am wiped after every workout. 
I am running a half marathon on sunday and have started training for a full marathon in May. The HIM is the first of Aug. and another full marathon mid sept.  
Good luck on your 1/2 this weekend.  I hope you'll have great weather.  post up your race report. 
2010-02-23 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2687889

The weather is supose to be good this year. last year it was -33 and the year before -45. and they still ran the race like a idiot I ran because everyones else was running. We are all a bunch of lemings.
2010-02-23 1:55 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Had some decent training last week and last night I worked out with the new trainer. Some good cardio work made me realize that just doing the swim, bike and run isnt' really going to help me so it was definitely a nice change of pace! He had me doing some jumping drills and footwork type track drills. Minimal weights but it was a great leg workout. I was sweating within the first 5 minutes. After that I pushed myself onto the elliptical and did some hills for 25 minutes with a resistance of 8-14. Tonight I've got a run and hopefully a swim planned since I've really been neglecting my swim.

I'm trying to find some swim clinics in my area. I've signed up for a couple of quickie 1-hr clinics at the Multisport Expo in March but would like to find an all day clinic. So if anyone in the MD/DC area knows of one, let me know!
2010-02-24 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2639822

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
jsiegs - 2010-01-28 11:11 AM I've got a race scheduling questions:

I had to ditch the Kinetic sprint on May 9th due to a conflic that day (and I was never really quite sold on it), but i was looking for a replacement and had a thought.  What if I do the Half-Iron with Dave the day before?   Cascade Lake sprint is the following week and an option, but its quite pricey for just a sprint.  So my thought was I do the HIM.  I won't be ready or peaking yet based on my plan, but with the relatively low cost, I think it would be great for me mentally to do it.  I'm not sure if I should be 100% effort (well, i say that now, but I don't see myself just taking it easy) cause i don't want to injure myself or lose the next week of training, but i think it would be great to know what to expect when i hit my real A race in RI and have better confidence in my pace and abilities.

I also have a tough (hilly) Olympic 2 weeks after (may 23rd) that is an A- race.  I'd really like to be top notch for that one.  Will doing the HIM 2 weeks before inhibit that?  Will the two adversly affect my RI 70.3 prep?  Is it worth doing if I can't be 100% effort in it (or should I be 100% effort in it)?

Thanks!

Did you ever decide on the Kinetic HIM? 

2010-02-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2691091

User image

Master
Baltimore
vibratingp00 - 2010-02-24 2:20 PM
jsiegs - 2010-01-28 11:11 AM I've got a race scheduling questions:

I had to ditch the Kinetic sprint on May 9th due to a conflic that day (and I was never really quite sold on it), but i was looking for a replacement and had a thought.  What if I do the Half-Iron with Dave the day before?   Cascade Lake sprint is the following week and an option, but its quite pricey for just a sprint.  So my thought was I do the HIM.  I won't be ready or peaking yet based on my plan, but with the relatively low cost, I think it would be great for me mentally to do it.  I'm not sure if I should be 100% effort (well, i say that now, but I don't see myself just taking it easy) cause i don't want to injure myself or lose the next week of training, but i think it would be great to know what to expect when i hit my real A race in RI and have better confidence in my pace and abilities.

I also have a tough (hilly) Olympic 2 weeks after (may 23rd) that is an A- race.  I'd really like to be top notch for that one.  Will doing the HIM 2 weeks before inhibit that?  Will the two adversly affect my RI 70.3 prep?  Is it worth doing if I can't be 100% effort in it (or should I be 100% effort in it)?

Thanks!

Did you ever decide on the Kinetic HIM? 
not yet..I'm either in it to win it or sitting it out. Probably means sitting it out is the smart thing to do though.
2010-03-01 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Had some great weather here this weekend and got some good training in.  Anyone else?  How's everyone feeling?  Transitioning into "build" yet? 
2010-03-01 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2687759

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-02-23 9:31 AM Thanks everyone for your coments. I think most of my trouble was a change in diet that knocked me on my . No energy and sleeping 12 to 15 hours a day. I am back to a regular diet and hopfully back to a full schedual. 
How was the 1/2 Marathon?  How do you feel?
2010-03-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2699187

User image

Master
Baltimore
irondg - 2010-03-01 8:05 AM Had some great weather here this weekend and got some good training in.  Anyone else?  How's everyone feeling?  Transitioning into "build" yet? 

Had hopes of getting out on the road biking on Sunday, but it only hit low 40's and was pretty windy, so that was nixed.  Did a trainer ride during the gold medal hockey game...I'm not sure if I was wiping away more sweat or tears at the end.

I did my longest swim ever, 4000 yards on Saturday, so I was pretty happy about that.  I'll be in Yuma, AZ a couple days this week, so I'm looking forward to the warmth for a couple runs.
2010-03-01 9:56 AM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Joe - I'm jealous! Bring some sun and warm weather back to Maryland!

Went to a swim clinic Saturday. Only an hour and a half but learned a lot and got some good pointers. Will try to apply what I learned in the pool this week, see if I can feel a difference. I did notice that I tend to lift my head up too much while swimming like I'm trying to look ahead instead of down. That really throws my posture out and down so I'm slowing myself down. The instructor did have us swim a couple of laps practicing our breathing so that we could only allow one goggle out of the water. WOW, I was turning my head a lot just to try to breath. Had some problems with water intake but I'll keep practicing. I had a good run that morning too, still a short run but now that my back/neck problems are gone I'll start increasing my distance and working on my pace. Group ride this weekend around Loch Raven so that should be a good hill workout!

2010-03-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2699571

User image

Veteran
Auburn
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-03-01 10:56 AM Joe - I'm jealous! Bring some sun and warm weather back to Maryland! Went to a swim clinic Saturday. Only an hour and a half but learned a lot and got some good pointers. Will try to apply what I learned in the pool this week, see if I can feel a difference. I did notice that I tend to lift my head up too much while swimming like I'm trying to look ahead instead of down. That really throws my posture out and down so I'm slowing myself down. The instructor did have us swim a couple of laps practicing our breathing so that we could only allow one goggle out of the water. WOW, I was turning my head a lot just to try to breath. Had some problems with water intake but I'll keep practicing. I had a good run that morning too, still a short run but now that my back/neck problems are gone I'll start increasing my distance and working on my pace. Group ride this weekend around Loch Raven so that should be a good hill workout!
Sounds like a great clinic.  You'll be amazed at how "fast" you can get with good form.  When a bull charges it does so with it's head down - only looking up to make sure he is on point to where he wants to go.  Think about that when you swim.  Head down, turn to breath with only one goggle out of the water and get that head right back down. It'll make a difference.
2010-03-02 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2700308

User image

Master
Baltimore
irondg - 2010-03-01 2:28 PM
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-03-01 10:56 AM Joe - I'm jealous! Bring some sun and warm weather back to Maryland! Went to a swim clinic Saturday. Only an hour and a half but learned a lot and got some good pointers. Will try to apply what I learned in the pool this week, see if I can feel a difference. I did notice that I tend to lift my head up too much while swimming like I'm trying to look ahead instead of down. That really throws my posture out and down so I'm slowing myself down. The instructor did have us swim a couple of laps practicing our breathing so that we could only allow one goggle out of the water. WOW, I was turning my head a lot just to try to breath. Had some problems with water intake but I'll keep practicing. I had a good run that morning too, still a short run but now that my back/neck problems are gone I'll start increasing my distance and working on my pace. Group ride this weekend around Loch Raven so that should be a good hill workout!
Sounds like a great clinic.  You'll be amazed at how "fast" you can get with good form.  When a bull charges it does so with it's head down - only looking up to make sure he is on point to where he wants to go.  Think about that when you swim.  Head down, turn to breath with only one goggle out of the water and get that head right back down. It'll make a difference.

I was bad at this for a long time (actually had someone teach me wrong first) and it was hard to correct.  Tri masters swim coach beat it into me with the freestyle kick drill (not sure if thats the name, but its what he called it).  I HATE that drill.  But he made me do it until I kept my head down.  Now its a super motivator to keep my head down to never have him assign me that drill again in class.  the drill is to face down, arms in front, face looking straight down and just kick.  Only take a stroke to breath.  Good form is fast and free speed, its awesome.
2010-03-02 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Bored at work.  Been stalking people's logs...you guys need to update more!  How about some sweet blog narrative so I have something interesting to read while I'm bored?  Come on!  BTW - Damon, how am I supposed to stalk you if you log on TP?  Thats no fun either!
2010-03-02 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2702447

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2010-03-02 1:32 PM Bored at work.  Been stalking people's logs...you guys need to update more!  How about some sweet blog narrative so I have something interesting to read while I'm bored?  Come on!  BTW - Damon, how am I supposed to stalk you if you log on TP?  Thats no fun either!
I am back on BT.  It's easier. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  

of 15