BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-16 7:30 AM
in reply to: #1857670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Subject: RE: crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now

Cheri, I missed getting on this morning and seeing your inspiration.  Hope you have a great ski trip!

What does everyone else have lined up for the weekend? I've got a 4 mile run planned one morning, some pool time and trainer time (although if it's nice, maybe I'll get outside and really try out my new shoes). Best of all, it's a 3 day weekend for me (although I may get into my office tomorrow and do some catch up).

Hope everyone has survived the week and has a great weekend!

-Lisa

2009-01-16 9:40 AM

Regular
i have a seminar all day saturday. 90 minute spin scheduled for sunday.  movie night tonight with the family (hotel for dogs we finally have some warmer weather here.  i could definately use some help with that nutrition log. I had to  leave it alone for few days as it was making me very anxious.  i guess that is all.   cath
2009-01-16 12:00 PM

Veteran

I have a 90 min run planned for tomorrow morning- planning on running outside - but right now it is -14 deg C ( or -1 deg F)- anyway you look at it -it is crazy cold- apparently breaking records. Will drag the balaclava out ( not a good look on me- heh but whatever works- ha ha). As well have a 90 min spin on bike planned Sun. Today's a day off ( well... houework!)

-Helen

2009-01-16 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Went to the Doctor today.

I guess it is good news that he diagnosed the symtoms and will work with me to make me stronger...it can be controlled by supervised training, supplements, and nutrition. But he told me I had to drop 4 of my races for this year because I wasn't giving myself enough recovery time for my tissues/muscles. So I am going to follow the plan and get stronger.

I knew this past summer and still now I don't feel good, you know, at a 100%...it just I feel like I'm being a whimp, but I guess it was my body trying to repair and protect itself from further damage.

I will thank God it is something that can be reversed with good advise from my Doctor...he is a nutritionist/chiropracter and he takes care of a lot of athletes...I really like him and his approach to wellness. Everything he was saying today, like my feet hurting, hormonal imbalance, pain, weakness and many other symtoms...I was going OMG that is me. He said no matter how hard I tried to lose weight is wasn't going to happen because of my acidity in my body, my fat cells are storing the acid to keep my organs from getting damaged. I'm just glad to know and start making my changes to a better me.

SO NOW IT'S TIME TO GET WELL!

I won't be around tomorrow, my daughter is running her first indoor track meet for the season at SIU Southern Illinois University, we are leaving early in the am to watch her.

Cath, Lisa, Helen, Kathry, Karen, Emerson, Pam and Amy...have a wonderful weekend. I miss Cheri too.

Love from Indiana
Amy
2009-01-16 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1911848

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Hey Cath...If I can be of help with the nutrition log, just let me know.

As far as my plans for the weekend...I will be taking the kids to activities, visiting my mom and helping her out, grocery shopping and my own housework. Hope to squeeze in a run and/or a swim Saturday & Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2009-01-17 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1913454

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

amy mutz - 2009-01-16 10:16 PM Went to the Doctor today. I guess it is good news that he diagnosed the symtoms and will work with me to make me stronger...it can be controlled by supervised training, supplements, and nutrition. But he told me I had to drop 4 of my races for this year because I wasn't giving myself enough recovery time for my tissues/muscles. So I am going to follow the plan and get stronger. I knew this past summer and still now I don't feel good, you know, at a 100%...it just I feel like I'm being a whimp, but I guess it was my body trying to repair and protect itself from further damage. I will thank God it is something that can be reversed with good advise from my Doctor...he is a nutritionist/chiropracter and he takes care of a lot of athletes...I really like him and his approach to wellness. Everything he was saying today, like my feet hurting, hormonal imbalance, pain, weakness and many other symtoms...I was going OMG that is me. He said no matter how hard I tried to lose weight is wasn't going to happen because of my acidity in my body, my fat cells are storing the acid to keep my organs from getting damaged. I'm just glad to know and start making my changes to a better me. SO NOW IT'S TIME TO GET WELL! I won't be around tomorrow, my daughter is running her first indoor track meet for the season at SIU Southern Illinois University, we are leaving early in the am to watch her. Cath, Lisa, Helen, Kathry, Karen, Emerson, Pam and Amy...have a wonderful weekend. I miss Cheri too. Love from Indiana Amy

Amy,

Sorry to hear this but I think you telling us about what is going on might be good for all of us.  Take care of yourself! We are all there for you during this!

One of the most important things about being a successful athlete is taking the time to listen to our bodies and doing what they tell us.  Every little ache and pain is telling us something.  Elevated heart rates and having trouble sleeping are all signs.  As we start kicking our training back up again it is very important we do what we have to and listen to our bodies.  Get that extra rest, eat well, stretch if it helps you, take a day off if you need it.  These are just some of the things we can do to keep us up to our best possible shape.

Well I have a double workout today and another tomorrow.  It is snowing pretty good and I wanted to get to the pool but I am not sure it is going to happen so I might be on the dreadmill again and on the trainer.  I also plan on taking a little Pam time this weekend after another very busy week.  Nice to not have to work this weekend!

Take care everyone! 

2009-01-19 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm making shirts for my other group and would like to make a design for this group, I will only give them to the regular posters, there are only a few of us that have taken an interest in each other so I want to acknowlege them It will be a motivationl shirt that has our group name and members on it...I will try to work something up for you to proof soon.

I hope we all have a wonderful week!!!! Happy training... I will check in on everyone tonight after my day is coming to an end...

Love from Indiana,
Amy Mutz
2009-01-19 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1915999

Regular

amy mutz - 2009-01-19 9:04 AM I'm making shirts for my other group and would like to make a design for this group, I will only give them to the regular posters, there are only a few of us that have taken an interest in each other so I want to acknowlege them It will be a motivationl shirt that has our group name and members on it...I will try to work something up for you to proof soon. I hope we all have a wonderful week!!!! Happy training... I will check in on everyone tonight after my day is coming to an end... Love from Indiana, Amy Mutz

count me in amy. i was in a seminar all weekend (15 hr days) back in routine today. 40 m swim and 40 m run / strength training is my monday. oh and oodles of housework that didn't get done on the week end.instead of feeling over whelmed and resentful about it i said a prayer and asked my self " what can I do for my family today?" answer .... take care of my body and my home.

2009-01-19 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Well I am happy to see that two of our group members are alive and well.  Sometimes life gets very challenging especially when we start training for longer races on deciding what is important.  It is hard to decide if I am going to do that workout that I really need to do in order to get ready for that hard race or spend the time with my family, friends, or even on myself.  The choice has to be made, but no one ever said it would be easy.  I am learning that the hard way as I am making very important decisions about training for the biggest race of my life.  I decided last September to take on the challenge and if I want to get to the finish line I had better be ready to make some sacrifices.  Training like this really give us an idea how important our family is when it comes to being supportive during training and the recovery we go through every day. 

Take care everyone.  My word of the week is love... love for the sport, love for the way it makes me feel, love for those who stand beside me when I go after my dreams.  Lots of love to everyone this week!!

2009-01-20 11:51 AM

Regular
Hello out there....... mentee here wondering where everybody went. alright people this is the agoraphobic saying "everyone out from under your beds" if i can do this any body can. i am the ultimate scairdy cat (medically speaking of course) we seemed to have dropped off on the communicating level.  think of me standing all alone on a moutain top shouting : we can't quit now!!! we just got started." it doesn't matter if it is 10 minutes or 90 minutes i guarantee you will feel better for doing it. and your day will go better, you will sleep better. think better. stand taller, etc etc etc.  take care, love cath
2009-01-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1918175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

cathcan - 2009-01-20 11:51 AM Hello out there....... mentee here wondering where everybody went. alright people this is the agoraphobic saying "everyone out from under your beds" if i can do this any body can. i am the ultimate scairdy cat (medically speaking of course) we seemed to have dropped off on the communicating level.  think of me standing all alone on a moutain top shouting : we can't quit now!!! we just got started." it doesn't matter if it is 10 minutes or 90 minutes i guarantee you will feel better for doing it. and your day will go better, you will sleep better. think better. stand taller, etc etc etc.  take care, love cath

Sorry to be incommunicado. I was off work esterday and ran around ALL day long. My anniversary was Saturday and my husband's 50th birthday was yesterday, so I've just been busy with life, but still getting most of my training in as well. I haven't checked anyone's logs today but will do so. No worries, Cath, we're there for you!

Lisa

2009-01-20 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1915999

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
amy mutz - 2009-01-19 7:04 AM

I'm making shirts for my other group and would like to make a design for this group, I will only give them to the regular posters, there are only a few of us that have taken an interest in each other so I want to acknowlege them It will be a motivationl shirt that has our group name and members on it...I will try to work something up for you to proof soon.

I hope we all have a wonderful week!!!! Happy training... I will check in on everyone tonight after my day is coming to an end...

Love from Indiana,
Amy Mutz

As I am one of the not so regular posters mentioned above. Please remove me from the mentor group. I have been thinking about this over the past few weeks. I am barely able to log my training let alone follow two mentor groups. Thank you for including me.

2009-01-20 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1919412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Hello everyone, thanks for all the inspires and support at this time.  I am supposed to be a mentor and Citi's melt down has taken up a lot of my emotional energy.  I dropped the HIM in April, no way I can be ready and that took a lot of pressure off.  I will look for some other race to do to celebrate my five years cancer free.

The bottom line is that my job is not at risk.  My income, although reduced quite a bit, should cover overhead.  My retirement is pretty much wiped out but at 52 I can earn it back.  So, I need to get over this disaster and move on... So, tomorrow I move on with a new plan... The Chinese character of crises or destruction is the same as opportunity.  Since I will need to sell my condo in Cincinnati, it makes this home... a new opportunity to be settled and a simpler, less expensive life.

My 88 year old mom has been visiting in the middle of all this so I have been driving her and Peg around quite a bit to do things.  She flies home on Thursday and I have a medical procedure on Friday morning and then life returns to normal.

I expect to have some time tomorrow and I look forward to reading everyone's reports and being as supportive to each of you as you have been to me.  You have no idea how nice it is to see your kind inspires at the end of a challenging day.

Your friend, Emerson

2009-01-20 11:11 PM
in reply to: #1919456

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Glad to hear you're doing ok Emerson. We have all been thinking of you. Enjoy your visit with your mom. Get back to us when you can.

Take care everyone and I hope you have a great day tomorrow.

...Karen
2009-01-21 9:59 AM

Regular
so good to hear from you emerson. life can sure throw curve balls at us at a moments notice. last night Barak Obama spoke about picking ourselves up and dusting ourselves off. certainily applied to my life............Here in Canada they stopped classes in our school to watch the inaugeration(sp?) speech. my conversations with my children at bed time last night covered everything from civil rights to the wars in iraq and afghanistan.  they are 10 and 7 and were asking questions i wasn't sure i had the answers to. now more than ever i see the necessity to stay healthy and confident not just for myself but so much for them.  have a great day everyone. your friend and neighbor  cath.
2009-01-21 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Hi everyone...

My apologies, it was brought to my attention that you could not access my training log. I must of somehow hit the "private" setting. I was missing those words of encouragement, but just thought everyone was busy. Please let me know if you have any problems. Take care - Karen

2009-01-22 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, here's the deal. This group is lagging behind and needs a boost. I have had a very tough week so I haven't been able to blog you as much... Everyone needs more encouragement here, I don't want anyone to drift away feeling unnoticed.

So I would like everyone to put down there needs or issues at this time, and check in so we have a total count...maybe we need to re-open the group for new members!? Let me say to everyone that Pam is a terrific girl that was in my group last year and she was my encourager and inspiration throughout the entire season, she is very commited to her new job and the huge undertaking of training for an Ironman....so I know from experience with friends doing IM training...it is a very lonely, and daunting task..........so Pam please know I respect you and I'm not in any way dis-respecting you. But I would like to help out.

To update on myself first: My training is still at a stand still until my blood test in a week and a half, I will know more than, my Dr. is trying to correct the situation with organic supplements, nutrition and very little exercise at this point....long story short......I have done a little damage to my body through over training last year, and not enough recovery time during race season...now I'm paying the price........But I look to be back in the saddle by the end of this month.
Also, my daughter is a college track/CC runner...she had to go for some test yesterday, they they found a heart murmer, swollen lymp nodes and the blood test will be back today or tomorrow..........needless to say I broke down yesterday.........but I have prayed about it and put it in the Lords hands.

So I want to group to thrive...what do we need to make that happen?

Love from Indiana
Amy Mutz

PS
I changed my avatar to my legs on the beach...........I was tired of being a hippo

Edited by amy mutz 2009-01-22 7:35 AM
2009-01-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1921943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

I think everyone's just being pulled in a lot of different directions right now, and understandably so. Sometimes LIFE just gets in the way! But, I'm definitely IN! And, Amy, I love the new avatar, it reminds us that we need to keep things in perspective and chill out sometimes.

At this point, I'm trying to decide if I want to add the Little Rock half marathon to my calendar in March. I've been following one of the maintenance plans on BT except for the running, in which I'm following a half marathon plan from Runner's World Smart Coach, in case I add the LR half. Since running is my biggest weakness, that is the first thing that I try to get done above all else.  If I do the half, it will probably push my first tri to May, rather than the first week April, since the marathon is March 15th. I still need to post my planned races, and will get that done, maybe tonight if I don't go to baseball practice. We just got another computer this weekend, so my computer time is now more open.

Maybe we need to start posting some more pointed questions for discussion? (ie: how to you get yourself motivated on the hard days, favorite snacks, how many meals/snacks per day, recipes, how do you unwind after training/a bad day).  Just a suggestion!  Hope all is well with everyone!

P.S. I've bought some quinoa but haven't tried it yet!

2009-01-22 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1921943

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Thanks Amy for trying to focus this group, despite all the things you have going on.  I feel like a deadbeat.  I made a deal with myself that I'd keep up with the group this week while I'm on vacation, but would spend time writing again after I get to San Diego next week.  However, as Amy points out, we don't want this group to languish.  The first year I decided to do a triathlon I joined a mentoring group, and it made all the difference to me.  I'd like to see this group do the same for others (me included!).

So to catch up with my training -- there hasn't been any triathlon-specific work this week.  However, at least I've been active.

I feel a little guilty that I'm out here having such a good time while everyone is having such difficulties.  I do promise, though, to try to get back to tri training next week (even though I'll be traveling for business).  And as soon as I get back home, it's back to serious training!

Cheri

P.S.  I would like to see this group survive!

2009-01-22 6:30 PM

Veteran

Thanks Amy for the posting re the group. I as well lwould like to see this group continue- I think we have a lot of wonderful dynamic people- lets learn and build from from each other strengths!!

Lisa (lufferly)- I like the idea of specific questions/focus- and thought all the questions tou suggested were excellent and quick discussion areas- I know everyone is pressed with time. 

And gang- I appreciate everyones posts and encouragement- thanks!

-Helen 

2009-01-22 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I owe everyone an apology.   I have not been as good of a mentor as I probably could be and for that I feel like I am failing the group.  Amy is right; I have been very busy between a job that is not traditional hours and now training for the biggest race of my life.  I would love any help I could get with starting discussions, asking questions, and keeping the conversation going.

I realize that right now just as our nation is going through, a lot of us are going through big changes of our own.   I know that better than I ever have before.

Thank you for being patient with me and not giving up on the group.

I would love to regroup and take a look at where everyone is it.  What are the challenges and good things that everyone is going through right now?  Who is feeling overwhelmed?

I am feeling overwhelmed myself especially with the work schedule.  But the good thing right now is I am getting in these important bases building workouts I need to do.  I have my race schedule pretty much figured out, but now I just need to make sure I am working with my schedule and making sure I still have some kind of a life.  I keep going in circles with relationships with my friends and just recently got dumped which didn't make anything difficult.  I know that many people have family and other commitments to get through.  Please forgive me for not being a good mentor this session.  I will try my best to pick it up but I would love any help I can get. 

2009-01-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1923793

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Some local plants...

Be back later... EK

2009-01-22 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Thanks Lisa and Amy...

Lisa, I liked your suggestions. 

As far as training for me.  I will probably scrap my plans to do the UBC triathlon.  With my mom's illness, I have missed too many weeks of training.  That doesn't mean that my plans for completing an Olympic this year are over.  Will have to review the race calendar and find one that fits my schedule and budget (local vs hotel expenses etc.).  My first race of the season will probably be a Sprint in April.  Did this one as my first triathlon last year and really enjoyed it.

Pam, please do not feel guilty.  My brother has completed several ironman races and I know how much time and dedication it takes to train for such an event... Never mind trying to work full time.  I hope you know that you have our full support.

I will have a better idea what happens with my job next week.  Once I know, I will post a new version of my upcoming races.

Hugs to all...

Karen 

2009-01-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1923874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
etknowles - 2009-01-22 8:39 PM

Some local plants...

Be back later... EK

I'm sorry, Emerson, but your picture made me laugh out loud after reading Pam's heart felt post. But, that's a beautiful picture.  And things are supposed to be bigger in Texas!

Pam, we all know how hectic life can be, especially juggling a new job and your training. I know Helen and I both have first hand knowledge of how hectic shift work in the hospital can be. Hopefully, things will begin to settle down and fall into place. Foremost, just be sure you're taking care of yourself and keeping yourself healthy.

I'll throw out a question. What is your hardest time of day in terms of nutrition? I know some have said it's eating late at night. For some it might be emotional eating. For me, it's when I first walk in the door after getting home from work (Is that emotional eating? I don't know). I put my stuff down and head straight for the kitchen. If we have Doritos or Tostidos in the house, I can consume the entire bag (so I never buy them myself). If I take the time to go and change my clothes, I'm much better off. I try to make healthy choices such as a bowl of cereal, nuts (which help my crunchy salty craving), cheese, or a half peanut butter honey sandwich. I try to keep cut up carrots in the fridge (I don't like those prepackaged baby carrots) but am not very good about it. Guess I'll add that to my list of stuff to do this weekend.

Lisa

2009-01-23 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1922162

User image

Extreme Veteran
lufferly - 2009-01-22 9:25 AM

I think everyone's just being pulled in a lot of different directions right now, and understandably so. Sometimes LIFE just gets in the way! But, I'm definitely IN! And, Amy, I love the new avatar, it reminds us that we need to keep things in perspective and chill out sometimes.

At this point, I'm trying to decide if I want to add the Little Rock half marathon to my calendar in March. I've been following one of the maintenance plans on BT except for the running, in which I'm following a half marathon plan from Runner's World Smart Coach, in case I add the LR half. Since running is my biggest weakness, that is the first thing that I try to get done above all else.  If I do the half, it will probably push my first tri to May, rather than the first week April, since the marathon is March 15th. I still need to post my planned races, and will get that done, maybe tonight if I don't go to baseball practice. We just got another computer this weekend, so my computer time is now more open.

Maybe we need to start posting some more pointed questions for discussion? (ie: how to you get yourself motivated on the hard days, favorite snacks, how many meals/snacks per day, recipes, how do you unwind after training/a bad day).  Just a suggestion!  Hope all is well with everyone!

P.S. I've bought some quinoa but haven't tried it yet!

Different directions is right Lisa!!! But that is ok everyone, because it is "Life" and we have to adjust to many changes throughout it. I love triathlons, but have had to put it in perspective during some tough physical changes and dealing with my daughters medical issues at this time.
The conclusion that I have come to is at this point I'm going to work on getting myself healthy, which I think I'm on the right path, and then I'm going to gradually incorporate the three disciplines into my life....I have "not" enjoyed training for about 8 months, my doc says its because my body was saying stop it already!!! He said I will start enjoying training and even life more when it gets lined out....I think he is right, because with the supplement I have been taking and the nutritional changes I am already feeling better, and I'm thinking that a run, bike or swim sounds good.................yeah!!!! Because shouldn't we enjoy what we are doing!? YES.

As for my worst time of hunger or cravings....it would always be the evenings...I can't buy any cookies, chips, or even have powder sugar in the house............because ha...I love icing and I will make it from the powder sugar....I know I'm terrible. I'm now logging my food, activities, supplements, etc... on fitday for my doctor..........I have always "hated" to log my food, maybe because I didn't want to really know how much I was puttting in, but now I have found it fun and addictive....so I have to say it is helping me, also I'm making sure I'm eatting something ever 2 hours even if it nuts, protein drink, carrots, apple....you get the picture.
So thats my story.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18