Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-04-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
You guys know the best All women's tri EVER is right by my house, I think July 26th? Check out Elite Endeavors website...>i can find a link if you want. Anyway, its 450 women, and it's an individual start for every person- no giant wave. It's in the quarry, then you bike a giant square twice, then run around a local soccer park. It was my first tri last year and I loved it! You could stay here and then do the race. Our tri club volunteers there. Its unfortunately my mother's birthday weekend, but I have ruined it the last two years, why stop now.

I still check in with the guys on their training logs.

The toddler- my current baby- has pink eye, again, so no swim for me today. I'm hoping for a bike, but so far, not happening. The gorgeous weather is almost here!!!!

Ultrasound tomorrow, so we leave late tonight to drive to Dayton, spend the night, and get up early for my doctor's appointment. The good news is that after this appointment I get two weeks off between appointments. The shots still suck, and I'm still feeling a bit nauseated, but not too bad.

2009-04-22 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
 That sounds like a great plan, I would feel so much more comfortable doing doing my first tri with someone I knew to at least show me where to put my stuff etc.  As of right now July 26 is open for me, although I am a little hesitant about committing until I talk with my daughter to see what sort of summer plans she has.  Jo are you available then?  

Good luck with the US Anne, and the travel.   Hope the pink eye is gone soon.  I used to always get that every time my kids did.  I'm so glad those days are past.

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-04-22 3:33 PM
2009-04-22 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I would be so excited to do that tri.  That actually works out great for me.  It is about 2 hours from here to Sylvania.  I've heard this is a fun event.  Ginny, are you in my age group, 45-49 (I'm 44 but USAT rules go by age as of 12/31/09 and my birthday is in November)?  Isn't that sad, I moved up an age group this year.

How fun would it be to all get to meet!  Let me know if that works with you Ginny.

2009-04-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2104237

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
jogo - 2009-04-22 10:39 PM

I would be so excited to do that tri.  That actually works out great for me.  It is about 2 hours from here to Sylvania.  I've heard this is a fun event.  Ginny, are you in my age group, 45-49 (I'm 44 but USAT rules go by age as of 12/31/09 and my birthday is in November)?  Isn't that sad, I moved up an age group this year.

How fun would it be to all get to meet!  Let me know if that works with you Ginny.

Can I put it down as a tentative yes until say the first of June.  Once the girls are out of school I'll have a better idea of what things are going to be like with them.  At that point I'll either make it an official yes or no.  I'm very excited this sounds like a lot of fun and I would really feel so much more comfortable with other people around to push me the right direction.

No, I'd be in your old age group   I'll be 43 in July.  It is really sad to move up age groups I agree. 
2009-04-23 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
http://www.eliteendeavors.com/race_womens.htm

Here's the link to this year's race. The field is limited to 400. It is ALL FLAT, except for going up the stairs of the quarry after the swim. It is a FANTASTIC event. If I know you guys will be there, I'll sign up to volunteer for the event so I can cheer you on. Our whole Tri Club is usually there screaming encouragement. We have plenty of room here, so you are welcome to spend the night and we promise a very good, healthy, tasty pre-race dinner. They have packet pick-up the night before and a rookie clinic, usually at 4 or 5:00.

Holding off until June to say Yea or Nay is fine. Jo, I want a full race report on the She Rocks tri. That is one I had considered this year but will put on my schedule for next if it is a good event.

The ultrasound was fine- baby is bigger, we are at 8 weeks, and the nausea seems to be easing. That or I am just getting used to it. Very tired, so that is not helping with the exercise. I may also take on watching a neighbor's daughter in the afternoons next school year. That means I could still train in the mornings once the baby is here, and we would have a little extra income. It's under discussion.

Off to finish dinner....will get around the checking training logs later, I hope.
2009-04-23 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Hi Ladies! 

Jo - I hope you're doing okay.  I don't know the details, but emotional hurt is worse than physical hurt.  Emotional hurt can last way too long.

Ginny - good luck with your 1/2.  I'm still slowly pushing my long run distances up to get ready for my 1/2 at the end fo the summer...I have plenty of time, and my long runs are now 11 miles....No worries for me!

Anne - I hope that you aren't having too hard a time incubating! 

I hope that you can all get together for the women's tri that Anne mentioned above!  FE's are great.  I met a guy that's about 20 years older than me who's been running for 40 years.  We've met up and chatted at several local running races.

Matt

2009-04-24 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Matt, thanks for checking in.  Good to see you.  Keep up the nice long runs!  Get lots of weekly miles and you'll do great.  Keep us updated.

2009-04-24 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Thanks for checking in, Matt!

Off to check training logs. Gorgeous weather here-Mike got a long run in this morning, 9 miles, perfect temps for it. I'm hoping for a ride later. It is getting more and more difficult to get to the pool; Wednesdays and Thursdays have been out due to travel and doctor's appointments, but next week I have a week off from that, so hoping to get to the pool at least once.
2009-04-24 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good to see you Matt.   You've already got 11 mile run and not even started training yet for the Half?  Wow I wish I could have said that   I know I can finish, just hope I can finish at the pace I'm hoping for.

I've got the Women's Tri in Sylvania on my calendar. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend, it's beautiful here.  Of course I am going to a scrapbooking weekend and will be inside all weekend.  GEEZ.  May have to sneak off for a nice walk or maybe just a short jog on Sunday
2009-04-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2108096

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

scubagrrl - 2009-04-24 12:58 PM

Does this mean you are in for sure or are we waiting until June to sign up? 

Enjoy the weekend! I'm not much of a scrapbooker but respect those who are.

Ann, I totally craved grapefruit with my 19 year old daughter, had to have one every day.  It was oranges with #1 and cantaloupe for #3.  Give in to the healthy cravings!

2009-04-27 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2108944

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
jogo - 2009-04-24 7:58 PM

scubagrrl - 2009-04-24 12:58 PM

Does this mean you are in for sure or are we waiting until June to sign up? 

Enjoy the weekend! I'm not much of a scrapbooker but respect those who are.

Ann, I totally craved grapefruit with my 19 year old daughter, had to have one every day.  It was oranges with #1 and cantaloupe for #3.  Give in to the healthy cravings!

It's on my calendar but I won't sign up until June.  Unless you think that's a problem (will they sell out?

Trying to convince my 19 year old to come and do it with me.  Make it a girls weekend.  She says she doesn't bike, I told her I really don't either.  But it would be fun.

2009-04-28 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
The owners of Elite Endeavors (group that does the all women's tri and the sylvania tri) live up the street from me, and I see them all the time. I'll ask about the risk of sell out. It does fill up- has the last two years- but I do not know when. A lot of locals use it as a first tri, many local gyms and the Y have programs for people to train for it. That being said, you will laugh your off at how unprepared people are. Mike's favorite last year was the woman in full make-up complete with done up hair and rhinestone sunglasses who complained that there was no place to change her outfits in the transition area.

I've got you gals on the calendar! Sure wish I was doing the race with you. I had a blast last year!
2009-04-28 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, those guys from elite endeavors know everyone.  My office mate at work knows the elite endeavor guys (Don, I think she said was his name) and one of the guys in my master swim, who is training for an HIM, is his nephew.   So cool that you know them too. 

I am so stoked about this.  I really do not have anything planned after my son's wedding and it would be the perfect event to go have a lot of fun at.  I could just enjoy and not worry about competing with my teammates.  How awesome to do a tri for fun!  I have it on my calendar.  I am thinking we should sign up sooner than June but let us know if there is a chance it will fill up so we can definitely get in.  I really do want to do this.

2009-04-29 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Yes definitely let me know if they think it will sell out before the first of June.  I could just go ahead and sign up.  If I put down money then I'm committed, maybe I'm just dragging my feet still hehehe

2009-04-29 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'll email them today and get back to you girls. Mike and I will both be volunteering at the event and he is excited about hosting some fellow triathletes so you guys get a good meal the night before and have someplace to clean up after the race and some good post-race food too (they have food there, but we will have more at our house as well). We have our first volunteer even this weekend- a local Try-A-Tri at a YMCA. Mike and I are hopefully together out on the bike course. Super short, like shorter than a sprint, but Mike's older sister is going to do it. Don't get me started on how unprepared I think she is, but at least she is trying it.
2009-04-29 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jim is on the phone with me - he says by June 1st it will not be full so if you need to wait until June, you are fine to register then. A lot of people wait until the last minute.

2009-04-29 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Great!  Glad to hear it. 

I can definitely help with bringing some food etc.  I don't want you to go to too much trouble.  We can work it all out as it get's closer. 

I'm very excited! 

2009-04-29 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jo, I don't know if I ever shared this last year, but I write a daily blog. Anyway, I have a ton of posts about my triathlons, and training, and friends/family reactions to training. I also have some great pics and posts from last year's races, and just laughed my butt off about a post I did when Mike took me out on my first road bike training.

http://hellofancypants.blogspot.com/search/label/triathlons

copy that, paste it into your browser bar. The first post on there is about my hilarious chat with Jim Donaldson today from Elite Endeavors. Typical dude.
2009-04-30 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Your blog is hilarious Anne.  I really enjoyed the one you pointed out about Elite Endevors, but also enjoyed reading about when you went for your first ride with Mike and how you didn't like riding or running.  Your conversation is hilarious!    I subscribed for updates.

Thank you both for your inspires about my half this weekend.  I am really excited/nervous/dreading/wondering wth I got myself into   I know I can do the distance, I just also have a time goal I'm going for.  I know I can hold the 9:30 - 10:00 mm for at least 9.3 miles (which I did for a test run about a month ago) but can I hold it for the whole 13.1?  And if I do how worn out am I going to feel afterwards?  Should I really even push myself to do that.  If I don't push myself I'll be so disappointed though.  I feel like this every time I do a race, I always think why on earth am I putting myself through this.  But then afterwards I am so glad I did. 

2009-04-30 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
My brother is a marathon runner, and he's advice for any long distance race is this- try and hold your pace, but if you get down mentally and start to feel like you can't do it, walk the water station. This gives you small goals- run to the next water station, grab your fluid, walk while you drink it, then run to the next station. He was just giving my husband that advice about his first HIM and the half mary he has to run at the end. Ginny, you are going to do great! You have trained so well, so your body is ready for it. Maybe set a goal of your end time versus mile pace; your first two miles are going to go super fast due to the adrenaline rush and then you'll have to run some slower miles later on to make up for that burst. I am so excited for you!

It is funny you pointed out that tri post I did last year about my first bike ride. I was re-reading it and laughing too. Squirrels still have it in for me, though. I do think that is a way I might die. Death on bike due to swerving to avoid rabid attack squirrel.

It also gives a really good picture of the kind of athlete I am. I truly am just a reformed fat girl.

Jo, I'm glad you liked it. As we get into OWS season I should have some more tri posts. I'm hoping to work in a swim today.
2009-05-02 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Thanks for all the inspires and cheering me on girls.  I'll fill out my official race report as soon as I have official results, but as of now my Garmin said 2:11:49.  Race went great, no rain like they had originally predicted.  All of my splits were good until around 12.5 mile.  All of a sudden I felt this pop in my calf.  I think I probably strained or tore my calf muscle.  I'm doing the RICE thing now.  Sort of limped in the rest of the way.  My last mile was an 11:12.  (Mile 1 - 9 were 10mm or less, mile 10, 11 and 12 were around 10:30)

I'll be seeing the doctor on Monday if it doesn't improve any over the weekend.  I imagine I'll need to stop running some for a while either way, which I'm ok with.  Was planning on focusing more on lifting and swimming anyhow.  Just want to make sure it heals up ok.

I'm so glad that's over

2009-05-02 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ginny, I'm so proud of you.  Your time was excellent.  I'm so sorry about your calf.  At least you finished.  The same thing happened to me in my 2nd tri last year and I DNF'd with 1 mile left to go.  I am so glad you kept going.  DNF'ing is an awful thing.  Take care of that calf.  I'm glad you are taking some time off.  Thanks for hooking me up with that LLR site.  Its great!

You ROCK!!!  Enjoy tonight, celebrate, sleep well!

2009-05-02 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So impressive, Ginny! Great time. Very worried about your calf- keep us posted on it, make sure you note it in your training logs and keep track of the injury. Poor girl.

Congratulations!

We're off bright and early tomorrow to help out on the bike part of a mini-sprint triathlon. Mike's older sister is doing the race so I look forward to cheering her on. It will be my first race swallowing my competitive spirit and making myself enjoy it instead of racing.....still struggling with the pregnancy idea.
2009-05-02 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Woo hoo!  WTG Ginny!  Great job!  I hope your calf is just a strain and it won't keep you down too long.

Matt
2009-05-03 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
You guys are all great, I was sitting here feeling depressed about how I didn't hit 2:10 like I wanted and how I'll never try again etc etc.  Reading your inspires and posts really lifted my spirits.   I could have done it and maybe some day I'll try it again.  For now there's swimming to do and a tri to start thinking about. 

Scout great to see you are still checking in.  How are things going for you?  Any races on the forecast.

Have fun at the mini tri today Anne.   Sounds like a  lot of fun.

Jo, I'm so glad to see you joined LLR.  Really good group of women, they range from young 20's to 60's even.  New runners, women who have run for years etc. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23