BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2116488

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-28 4:38 PM they say temp range can be from 55-70, last two years about mid 60s...

Hmm...I'd be on the safe side and plan to wear one. If it warms up past the very low 60's, you could always forego it. Below 60, I'd DEFINITELY wear one. I knwo some people do it without, but that's pretty freakin' cold.

2009-04-29 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Morning, morning mentees!!! Was up at 5:15 this morning to go to 6 am run with tri team. Normally we have track work on Wednesdays (morning or evening session), but since there is a 5K this weekend that's on the Team calendar, today was just an easy run at the track in case we wanted form feedback. I like early morning runs, as long as I feel awake for them.

2009-04-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2117654

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 7:37 AM

Morning, morning mentees!!! Was up at 5:15 this morning to go to 6 am run with tri team. Normally we have track work on Wednesdays (morning or evening session), but since there is a 5K this weekend that's on the Team calendar, today was just an easy run at the track in case we wanted form feedback. I like early morning runs, as long as I feel awake for them.

Good job on getting out of bed. It is raining here, so I waited until the last possible minute to leave my warm bed.

Bike trainer for me tonight. What about everyone else?
2009-04-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2117952

steph94483 - 2009-04-29 10:15 AM

Good job on getting out of bed. It is raining here, so I waited until the last possible minute to leave my warm bed.

Hehe, for a second when I woke up, I had to remember why the alarm was going off

2009-04-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2118012

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 9:33 AM

Hehe, for a second when I woke up, I had to remember why the alarm was going off

My problem is that I automatically hit the snooze, then freak out when I realize what time it is. 
2009-04-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2118057

steph94483 - 2009-04-29 10:49 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 9:33 AM

My problem is that I automatically hit the snooze, then freak out when I realize what time it is. 

I've never been a "snooze-button hitter". I either get up, or decide to skip whatever it was that I got up early for and reset my alarm for later. But when the alarm went off this morning, I sat up but then had to sit there for a second and think "Wait...what am I doing? Oh, right, running!"

2009-04-29 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Chrissy, good job on the morning run. I like running in the morning too, just haven't done much this year cause it is still around 40 degrees until 9ish.

Unfortunately I have been blessed with some sort of intestinal bug since about noon yesterday which has made being more than 20 seconds away from a bathroom impossible. I am a little irritated that I am sick again after being sick this last weekend, but I am more worried about getting right before I leave for my race this weekend. The original plan was to leave tomorrow and drive the 7 hours, but obviously that would be a problem unless I bring my transition bucket

I am thinking about leaving Friday morning, which still gets me there in plenty of time but means 7 hours in a car the day before the race. Just hoping that this clears up soon.
2009-04-29 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2118213

JJackson07 - 2009-04-29 11:29 AM Chrissy, good job on the morning run. I like running in the morning too, just haven't done much this year cause it is still around 40 degrees until 9ish. Unfortunately I have been blessed with some sort of intestinal bug since about noon yesterday which has made being more than 20 seconds away from a bathroom impossible. I am a little irritated that I am sick again after being sick this last weekend, but I am more worried about getting right before I leave for my race this weekend. The original plan was to leave tomorrow and drive the 7 hours, but obviously that would be a problem unless I bring my transition bucket I am thinking about leaving Friday morning, which still gets me there in plenty of time but means 7 hours in a car the day before the race. Just hoping that this clears up soon.

Oh no!!! Being sick before a race is no good The stomach bug can really wipe you out, so be careful. Get rest, replenish your fluids as much as you can, and assuming you are feeling well asap, take it easy, if you decide to race.  

(Oh, and I've run when it's been in the teens )

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-29 10:33 AM
2009-04-29 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Well, guys i seem to be back, i have a spin class and a run scheduled for tonight. I've cleared up my room, got lots of stuff sorted including a new cooker for the house (and free, paid for by landlord under wear and tear XD )
2009-04-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2118227

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 8:33 AM

Yeah I know I am a wuss.
2009-04-29 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2118250

SteveyD - 2009-04-29 11:40 AM Well, guys i seem to be back, i have a spin class and a run scheduled for tonight. I've cleared up my room, got lots of stuff sorted including a new cooker for the house (and free, paid for by landlord under wear and tear XD )

Great! Hope the spin and the run go well.

2009-04-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2118290

JJackson07 - 2009-04-29 11:58 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-29 8:33 AM  

Yeah I know I am a wuss.

yes, yes you are I've lived where it's really cold and I had no car (college in Boston), so I HAD to go outside to get anywhere. And it's way colder there than it is here in DC, though this winter in DC was particularly chilly. If you bundle up really well and go with someone for the company, it's much more bearable.

2009-04-29 1:16 PM

User image

Hey all, James , I am so sorry you're sick again   I hope you get over this quickly!  I did a little longer walk this morning, meant to swim at lunch, but plans were waylayed with more pressing issues   Anyway, will bike on trainer tomorrow morning, then swim at lunch tomorrow...

I used to always get up super early for workouts/competitions, whatever, now after kids, I am always after whatever amount of rest I can get...and I wish I could get into a sound enough sleep that I wasn't sure why my alarm was going off...I just can never get there lately!!!
2009-04-29 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
today was off to bad start-woke up late, but a quick swim anyways, and then 3 hours of fun meetings at work. i hope to get another swim in tonite to make my swim goal for april. i hope that everyone has a wonderful wednesday.
2009-04-30 7:24 AM

Morning folks - sorry that this always drops down to the end of the page by the evening. I'm not on BT much after work since I'm not usually home Last night was birthday dinner for a local BT'er - fun times.

How is everyone doing with their respective training? Feeling like you're on the right track to being well-prepared for your races?

2009-04-30 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
i' struggled last night with an absolute tw@ of a spin instructor. He was treating people like they were 12 year olds in a PE class. a shouter and totally ruined it for me. I can't see how its encouraging to have that sort of people doing the Beginner class. ( i missed the one i did before, intermediate/45 minutes)
Have signed up for the 45 minute intermediate nxt week though.

Swimming, i need to get into the pool, if only to beat super cat on the swim challange.
Running, i'm getting better i think, i managed around 400m yesterday before i had to go down to a walk which is not great but better than before. I mostly keept a power walk for 10 mins tho.

2009-04-30 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2120611

SteveyD - 2009-04-30 10:47 AM i' struggled last night with an absolute tw@ of a spin instructor. He was treating people like they were 12 year olds in a PE class. a shouter and totally ruined it for me. I can't see how its encouraging to have that sort of people doing the Beginner class. ( i missed the one i did before, intermediate/45 minutes)
Have signed up for the 45 minute intermediate nxt week though.

Swimming, i need to get into the pool, if only to beat super cat on the swim challange.
Running, i'm getting better i think, i managed around 400m yesterday before i had to go down to a walk which is not great but better than before. I mostly keept a power walk for 10 mins tho.

I HATE the spin instructors who shout...I took a class with a woman who was a yeller - it was REALLY annoying. She wasn't discouraging in her shouting (it was all "let's go!" "Whoo!!" "All day, baby!!"), but it was still annoying.

With the running, are you doing pre-set run/walk intervals? Trying to run as far as you can until you get tired isn't a great way to build up endurance (or enjoy running as a sport). Have you ever looked at the Galloway method? A book written by a guy named Jeff Galloway, whose running programs are all in run/walk intervals. I know a lot of beginners and slower runners on thsi site have liked his programs. And even some faster folk - giving yourself those little bits of walking helps with "recovery" for the next interval of running. I've never tried it, but in general, starting with run/walk intervals is a great idea. A lot of couch-to-5K programs start like this. I believe there is one on BT, but there are numerous ones on the interwebs.  

2009-04-30 10:39 AM

User image

Hey all, had a weird morning...was super sore and stiff waking up, then got to gym and felt really good on bike, knee felt good, I went at a higher resistance than last time, and I thought I pushed myself more, but then looked at my miles/hr and see that it was slower today than last time...  hope that's the resistance??  Anyway, off to swim at lunch...

As far as being ready for race...I think I'm at the point where I know I can finish each part...just a matter of making it so I feel good!!!  And also, need to practice in the lake with my wetsuit...I need to be sure my muscles aren't going to seize up on me...that could be an issue!  And i need to practice on bike on road more; but hoping to go to bike shop today or tomorrow...
2009-04-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2120783

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-30 11:39 AM Hey all, had a weird morning...was super sore and stiff waking up, then got to gym and felt really good on bike, knee felt good, I went at a higher resistance than last time, and I thought I pushed myself more, but then looked at my miles/hr and see that it was slower today than last time...  hope that's the resistance??  Anyway, off to swim at lunch...

As far as being ready for race...I think I'm at the point where I know I can finish each part...just a matter of making it so I feel good!!!  And also, need to practice in the lake with my wetsuit...I need to be sure my muscles aren't going to seize up on me...that could be an issue!  And i need to practice on bike on road more; but hoping to go to bike shop today or tomorrow...

Yes, the wetsuit can feel tight at first - sometimes that's fit, but assuming you bought one that fits well, they just take some getting used to. If you start to feel like it's squeezing a bit, RELAX, slow down and take some deep breaths.

2009-04-30 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
Someday I will master the multiple quote reply but alas, today is not that day.

So...

James, GET BETTER!!! what the heck?  I really hope you are better soon.  Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast!

Steve and Kathleen, Keep up the great work on the swimming!

I wont be on much for a while again but I wanted to pop in and with everyone a great Thursday and good luck with their training.

I also have a question.  What is a Transition Bucket?  In case you puke?
2009-04-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2120826

User image

wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-30 11:48 AM

Yes, the wetsuit can feel tight at first - sometimes that's fit, but assuming you bought one that fits well, they just take some getting used to. If you start to feel like it's squeezing a bit, RELAX, slow down and take some deep breaths.

I'm not as worried about the fit, as about the cold... 

2009-04-30 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i did 1250 yds this morning. a nice breakthrough for the swim. it has been a while since i have knocked out a long swim. followed up by a nice 30 session on the elliptical. feeling pretty good this morning.
2009-04-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2120860

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
amkaz - 2009-04-30 8:58 AM

LOL- it isn't a real item per se, but something that gets brought up in the forums every now and again. Usually by people who are having problems like I had the last few days (GI issues) or have to deal with long lines at porta-potties. Having a bucket in transition would allow you not only switch your gear, but also take care of the other issue.

So no, not really for puking, but close. And again, not a serious item- as far as I know
2009-04-30 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2120860

amkaz - 2009-04-30 11:58 AM Someday I will master the multiple quote reply but alas, today is not that day.

So...

James, GET BETTER!!! what the heck?  I really hope you are better soon.  Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast!

Steve and Kathleen, Keep up the great work on the swimming!

I wont be on much for a while again but I wanted to pop in and with everyone a great Thursday and good luck with their training.

Some people carry all their stuff to transition in a bucket - they then use this bucket to sit on while they put on their shoes, etc in transition. I am firmly in the ANTI-BUCKET camp It's kind of a running joke around BT, as well, as many people feel strongly. Basically, you don't want a lot of extra crap in transition, esp. when it starts to ooze over into someone else's space. Transition is not a hotel - you are not moving in. There is PLENTY of room for you and your stuff, but it is a tight fit.

2009-04-30 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2120869

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-30 12:02 PM
I'm not as worried about the fit, as about the cold... 

Yes, get in some practice swims then. and the morning of your race, get in the water well befor eyour swim start, to get acclimated.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-30 12:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29