Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-06-06 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2199328

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED

CONGRATULATIONS Krystyna!! Great times and good recovery! Sorry but I couldn't help laughing while reading your experience Smile(also hyperventilated just thinking about getting in - out back in the wetsuit while whatching everybody already in the water!) How did you do on the transitions? How was the weather? And how's the recovery?

Today I just had packet and number pick up and course recognition. Had the chance to get a 30 min clinic with the race organizer (an accomplished triathlete). Ended up being a private lesson, it was raining cats and dogs here so nobody else showed up. I also got to swim in the lake and my fears disappeared, water was spectacular! 79.5 degrees!!
I'll let you'all know tomorrow who it went. 

Edited by boxer 2009-06-06 6:05 PM

2009-06-07 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2070143

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
And I did it!!!
I think I did pretty decent! I'm wating for my official times to post them here.
There were three groups, men, ladies & novice. I went last with the novice. Water was great and did good on swim but could have been better.  Can't complain, I came out first out of the water but I was Zig-Zagging the whole time and lost time getting off track, back in track and sighiting was getting exhausting.

Transitions were decent, although, when I got to the transition area my bike was on the ground and helmet and sun glasses feet away! Bike was good, a little bit of rain but did 16 miles at almost 20 mph. Forgot my water bottle and at the end of the bike felt a bit de-hydrated.
Run was the hardest!!! I was pushing it though.
Total time was 1hr27min--sec.  My family was there, it was a great feeling. Very well organized race, party atmosphere and great camaredery.
I feel GRREAT!! Got a trophy for third Novice. 1st and 2nd were much younger so I felt even happier.
Next time, in two weeks, I won't be a novice anymore, so it's going to be a bit rougher!!
Thanks so much for all your help, there's so much to learn about this great sport. Without any help it would be twice as difficult!
Ah, after today, I'm convinced that I have to wait and train much more before I move to greater distances. It was a humbling experience.
2009-06-08 9:33 AM

Great job guys! Holy crap krystina, I can't imagine the panic that delayed start must have caused you.
2009-06-08 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Here's the times:
Swim 500 yds: 9:26.1
T1                  : 1:26
Bike 16 miles : 49:30.1
T2                  :  0:08 (something's wrong there)
Run 3 miles    :  26:52.6

2009-06-08 10:44 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Krystyna and Boxer--Great job guys, from me too. I had my first triathlon nightmare last night which involved a late start, tangled wetsuit, and terrible swim. I read Krystyna's entry right before bed. Hmmmm. Her swim was good, though. I think I died in my dream, but I'm not sure.

I went out Saturday and did a mock olympic at the same course I did my Sprint last weekend. I swam 3x as far with no problem. It was cathartic to swim the same swim that scared me to death, triple it, and have no problem. I'm thinking through strategy for my next race this saturday. The bike/run was good.

I feel I've broken through to a new level, but we'll see. I have bumped up my running, and it seems to be paying off. I think my base training is starting to act like a foundation to go longer, finally. I've been training 14 weeks. I no longer feel like I'm pushing injury every long effort. And I can run back-to-back days without crutches.

I have picked up a friend who is going to do some of the training with me and do the 70.3 with me in August. He's 4 years younger, 135 lbs and runs like a deer. I kill him on the swims and bikes; he destroys me on the runs. He smokes a pack a day and is trying to quit. If he does, I'm in trouble, but it's good to have someone to train with. We can push each other now.

What's the challenge this week? Who's racing this weekend? I have a Sprint Saturday and Oly next Saturday. Both are competative so I'm nervous--not about getting beat, just about getting beat up in the water.

Edited by gplitt 2009-06-08 3:02 PM
2009-06-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2201773

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-06-08 10:43 AM Here's the times:
Swim 500 yds: 9:26.1
T1                  : 1:26
Bike 16 miles : 49:30.1
T2                  :  0:08 (something's wrong there)
Run 3 miles    :  26:52.6

Great times -- you were really moving!

2009-06-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2202045

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-06-08 11:44 AM Krystyna and Boxer--Great job guys, from me too. I had my first triathlon nightmare last night which involved a late start, tangled wetsuit, and terrible swim.

What's the challenge this week? Who's racing this weekend? I have a Sprint Saturday and Oly next Saturday. Both are competative so I'm nervous--not about getting beat, just about getting beat up in the water.

I've had those dreams, too. Only in mine, I have to get my stuff out of a locker and I can't remember the combination. Laying out all my gear on the floor a few days before the race seems to quash them.

I'm not sure about the challenge -- did anyone have a perfect week? I definitely did not, but it was still a good week of training even without the strength work.

Like you, I have a sprint on Saturday that I'm looking forward to doing. It will be my first wetsuit race of the summer. And if I recall correctly, there were some really great cookies at the food tent! 
2009-06-08 1:58 PM

I did manage to make all my workouts (3 runs, 3 swims, 4 rides), but it felt like cheating because it was a cutback week for my runs and swims. Not sure if that counts as perfect or not.

I do have a question about swim programs. I'd been doing the 0-1500 program, but was finding it pretty challenging when I hit about the swim 600m straight workout. I put it on hold when I started lessons, so I could focus more on shorter intervals to work on technique. Well, that's gone well and with only two lessons left, we're mostly now working on refinements, no new stuff. I've made a fair bit of progress though (gone from 2:35 100s to hovering consistently in the 2:05/100 range) and feel like now's the time to ramp up endurance again. I do have to swim 1500 meters at the end of August, after all.

So anyway, I've been using swimplan.com and they seem to have fairly heavy interval programs. If I do my three swim plan programs this week, I'd do

1000m, with a 700 m main set composed of 25 m/rest 10 sec. (did this one at lunch actually)
1200m, with a 600m main set of 100/r 20
1900m, with a 1200m main set of 50m intervals on 1:26

So I know basically nothing about swim training, is this type of week (steadily increasing distances as I go) going to prep me for the 1500m, or should I be looking for more workouts that involved long, continuous swimming.
2009-06-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2202862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
casaubon - 2009-06-08 2:58 PM I did manage to make all my workouts (3 runs, 3 swims, 4 rides), but it felt like cheating because it was a cutback week for my runs and swims. Not sure if that counts as perfect or not.

I do have a question about swim programs. I'd been doing the 0-1500 program, but was finding it pretty challenging when I hit about the swim 600m straight workout. I put it on hold when I started lessons, so I could focus more on shorter intervals to work on technique. Well, that's gone well and with only two lessons left, we're mostly now working on refinements, no new stuff. I've made a fair bit of progress though (gone from 2:35 100s to hovering consistently in the 2:05/100 range) and feel like now's the time to ramp up endurance again. I do have to swim 1500 meters at the end of August, after all.

So anyway, I've been using swimplan.com and they seem to have fairly heavy interval programs. If I do my three swim plan programs this week, I'd do

1000m, with a 700 m main set composed of 25 m/rest 10 sec. (did this one at lunch actually)

So I know basically nothing about swim training, is this type of week (steadily increasing distances as I go) going to prep me for the 1500m, or should I be looking for more workouts that involved long, continuous swimming.

Hmmm, if you're confident you are able to do those distances as written there (with all the intervals), then you can always try alternating btwn, say in the 3rd one a 50m interval and then a 100m interval, then another 50m interval, and so forth. I don't recommend switching all the 50m intervals to 100m intervals, though. Am I making sense?
2009-06-08 2:32 PM

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm just more wondering if programs like that will get me to a point where I can push off and swim 1500m straight, or do I need to have one workout a week that centers around a long, continuous swim? Kind of like how my run workouts are short run w/ speed work, medium run at race pace, long run. Know what I mean?

Also, dave is right, krys, you should find a job writing race reports, that was a good one.
2009-06-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2202957

User image

Regular
casaubon - 2009-06-08 2:32 PM Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm just more wondering if programs like that will get me to a point where I can push off and swim 1500m straight, or do I need to have one workout a week that centers around a long, continuous swim? Kind of like how my run workouts are short run w/ speed work, medium run at race pace, long run. Know what I mean?

Also, dave is right, krys, you should find a job writing race reports, that was a good one.

I was using the swimplan.com workouts, and I think they were really good at getting me back in the pool, and using the shorter distances I think helped me get my form back quickly.  But now, I've switched to doing at least one long distance swim every swim day, and building that up, and then decreasing my distance and adding more sets.  I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely don't think it was helping me swim farther by doing lots of 100s or 50s.  My last workout, the main set was an 800, 400, 10x100s.

2009-06-09 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2202862

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
casaubon - 2009-06-08 2:58 PM I did manage to make all my workouts (3 runs, 3 swims, 4 rides), but it felt like cheating because it was a cutback week for my runs and swims. Not sure if that counts as perfect or not.

Sounds to me like you've earned the right to pick the challenge. Go easy on us!

Your swim intervals are timed, so you're doing a mix of speed work with distance. Just like in running, that's a good thing. You will be fine in August.

But -- there's nothing wrong with seeing how far you can go. If you look at my logs, every 2 weeks or so you'll see a note that I've done a long straight swim. I do it with the sole purpose of finding my 'nice pace' and just going long as training for some races I'm doing in July and August. For me, there is a psychological benefit of knowing I can do the distance, plus more. (Of course, you will also find some days where I'm only doing sprint work, too.)

I would keep following your program, as it has obviously had good results. And if you have time, either do a long swim as a cool down on one of your days, or skip the planned workout and just try to swim the whole distance without stopping. There is nothing wrong with testing yourself to see where you are. You may be pleasantly surprised!

2009-06-09 5:13 AM
in reply to: #2203894

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mck35 - 2009-06-08 10:07 PM
casaubon - 2009-06-08 2:32 PM Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm just more wondering if programs like that will get me to a point where I can push off and swim 1500m straight, or do I need to have one workout a week that centers around a long, continuous swim? Kind of like how my run workouts are short run w/ speed work, medium run at race pace, long run. Know what I mean?

I was using the swimplan.com workouts, and I think they were really good at getting me back in the pool, and using the shorter distances I think helped me get my form back quickly.  But now, I've switched to doing at least one long distance swim every swim day, and building that up, and then decreasing my distance and adding more sets.  I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely don't think it was helping me swim farther by doing lots of 100s or 50s.  My last workout, the main set was an 800, 400, 10x100s.

That's quite a main set!
2009-06-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2204199

Sounds to me like you've earned the right to pick the challenge. Go easy on us!

[/QUOTE]
oh dear.

Well, let's stick with the swim intervals theme we've got going on:

One swim workout, preferably your long one, where 60% of your distance is done on your pace+10sec.

So if you're doing a 1000m swim, you could do 6 100m intervals and if your typical pace is 2 min, you go on 2:10. Or do 12 50m intervals on 1:10. Or such and such.

That makes sense to me. Hopefully it does to you guys too.

Edited by casaubon 2009-06-09 8:50 AM
2009-06-09 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I did a 58 mile bike last night with 4000+ feet elevation gain. My previous best was 40 miles. I averaged 16mph, but it was more like 8 mph up hill and 35 mph down hill.  Now I know I can do my 56. My course will be hilly, but much flatter in August. I felt like running 13.1 feet afterwards, not miles--that would be about all I could have done. Very sore today, but OW swim I must after work. I'm trying to work out the nutrition on the bike. I seem to forget to take in the calories until past when I need them.

My course was up toward Mt. St. Helens (1980, you might remember the eruption if you were born yet). Beautiful ride, but very hard. I found a local bike website with 180 courses all mapped out with difficultly level, etc. Maybe you guys have those, too, but it was cool for me to find it. What do some of you do for hills? I can't get away from them. I suppose most of you can't find them. Good leg work, but what I wouldn't give for a 10 mile flat stretch.

Now I have more training options. They had this marked as "high difficultly"--it was.
2009-06-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2205035

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
gplitt - 2009-06-09 11:00 AM I did a 58 mile bike last night with 4000+ feet elevation gain. My previous best was 40 miles. I averaged 16mph, but it was more like 8 mph up hill and 35 mph down hill.  Now I know I can do my 56. My course will be hilly, but much flatter in August. I felt like running 13.1 feet afterwards, not miles--that would be about all I could have done. Very sore today, but OW swim I must after work. I'm trying to work out the nutrition on the bike. I seem to forget to take in the calories until past when I need them.

My course was up toward Mt. St. Helens (1980, you might remember the eruption if you were born yet). Beautiful ride, but very hard. I found a local bike website with 180 courses all mapped out with difficultly level, etc. Maybe you guys have those, too, but it was cool for me to find it. What do some of you do for hills? I can't get away from them. I suppose most of you can't find them. Good leg work, but what I wouldn't give for a 10 mile flat stretch.

Now I have more training options. They had this marked as "high difficultly"--it was.

Hills in Savannah? Maybe a couple bridges going over the river.................. Really difficult to get that sort of training around here   I'm jealous.

2009-06-09 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
gplitt - 2009-06-09 11:00 AM I did a 58 mile bike last night with 4000+ feet elevation gain. My previous best was 40 miles. I averaged 16mph, but it was more like 8 mph up hill and 35 mph down hill.  Now I know I can do my 56. My course will be hilly, but much flatter in August. I felt like running 13.1 feet afterwards, not miles--that would be about all I could have done. Very sore today, but OW swim I must after work. I'm trying to work out the nutrition on the bike. I seem to forget to take in the calories until past when I need them.

I would kill for more hills like that.  I did my first century on Sunday, and it was a course starting about an hour and a half outside the city, going up into Wisconsin and back.  Way more hills than I ever do normally, and they killed me by the end. I wish I had some closer that I could practice once a week, do some hill repeats or something.

By the way, I did my second ever OWS today.  Smaller waves, which was nice, but the cold water is killing me.  As soon as I stick my head in, it takes my breath away.  I did about 20 minutes of a freestyle/breast stroke mix just to get some time in, but if I have to race with my head out of the water this weekend, I could finish DFL.  I'm going to try again a couple times this week, but any tips would help
2009-06-09 1:10 PM

That sounds pretty awesome. There's basically nothing like that around chicago. Like mike said, you need to go up to wisconsin to get any hills. I think I average about 400 feet of climb on my longer rides. Intense! Cool
2009-06-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2205397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
mck35 - 2009-06-09 1:53 PM [

By the way, I did my second ever OWS today.  Smaller waves, which was nice, but the cold water is killing me.  As soon as I stick my head in, it takes my breath away.  I did about 20 minutes of a freestyle/breast stroke mix just to get some time in, but if I have to race with my head out of the water this weekend, I could finish DFL.  I'm going to try again a couple times this week, but any tips would help

Are you wearing a wetsuit? If the water is below 22C (or 21C, not too sure) then a wetsuit is permitted. It's amazing how much wearing a wetsuit helps. I did my first tri without a wetsuit and it was horrifying. I was frozen stiff for much of the bike course, too. Wearing a wetsuit, however, the water is just so damn pleasant! I could swim in it for days.
2009-06-09 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
mck35, are you wearing a neoprene wet suit cap (about $25) and not just a swim cap? That helps a lot, too. Blue Seventy (and others) make caps and booties.
2009-06-09 4:11 PM

User image

Regular

I've got a sleeveless wetsuit, but no swim cap.  The wetsuit makes the water bearable, but its still about 50-55 degrees, which is 10-13 for you Canadiens.  I would LOVE 20!

I just checked the temperature map for today's lake conditions, and they have the water at about 45... which would be about 7 celcius.  that just sounds cold. 

Edited by mck35 2009-06-09 4:21 PM

2009-06-09 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong

Today I had my first Yoga class.  It is quite a workout! Great combination of strenght, stretching and relaxation. Will definetively keep doing it twice a week. If I'm home that is.
Going on a trip on Thursday for more than a week not exactly the kind of preparation I had in mind for my next race on the 21st.
At least I'll be in one place most of the time and should be able to get some training. Paris has some great spots for running. I found some really nice swimming pools but they are 10 Euros (16 bucks) per session.... ouchhh!!
Biking it's going to be the tough one, most hotel gyms in Europe suck, that's if they have one at all!
I'll do a brick tomorrow and do a spinning class early on Thursday before I leave.
If anybody is racing this coming weekend, good luck.  My only advice on the swim is go slow and breath! it's like on the pool, you try to do negative splits, not to go full throttle when you first jump in thw water; and don't forget to navigate!!

2009-06-10 4:42 AM
in reply to: #2206036

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mck35 - 2009-06-09 5:11 PM

I've got a sleeveless wetsuit, but no swim cap.  The wetsuit makes the water bearable, but its still about 50-55 degrees, which is 10-13 for you Canadiens.  I would LOVE 20!

I just checked the temperature map for today's lake conditions, and they have the water at about 45... which would be about 7 celcius.  that just sounds cold. 

That just IS cold, no questions about it.

Try a neoprene swim cap, too. They're maybe $25, but so worth it.

Edited by prof40 2009-06-10 4:48 AM
2009-06-10 4:47 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-06-09 12:00 PM I did a 58 mile bike last night with 4000+ feet elevation gain. My previous best was 40 miles. I averaged 16mph, but it was more like 8 mph up hill and 35 mph down hill.  Now I know I can do my 56. My course will be hilly, but much flatter in August. I felt like running 13.1 feet afterwards, not miles--that would be about all I could have done. Very sore today, but OW swim I must after work. I'm trying to work out the nutrition on the bike. I seem to forget to take in the calories until past when I need them.

Totally hear you on wanting some flat stretches. I know hills are good for you, but you work so hard and then you see your average speed, and you're just "what the ...?, I worked harder than that!"

2009-06-10 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

Stumbled upon this article on cold water swimming:

http://www.rehabtoracing.com/Cold_water_swimming.php

Tip #3 is interesting. If I remember, I'm going to try it on Saturday.

Cold Water Swimming

During certain times of the year and in some parts of the triathlon world, water temperatures can be less than 70°F. As water gets colder more of us have problems with facial immersion causing perceived shortness of breath, especially below 65°F. We also have trouble just entering the water, and are more likely to get hypothermic from swimming. Several athletes had real problems due to the cold water recently at the 2007 Xterra Championships, which occasioned this article. Allen particularly hates and suffers in cold water. These tactics come from 30 years of practical experience with cold water swimming and diving in water down to 30°F.

The number one adaptation mechanism we have access to as triathletes is the use of a full neoprene wetsuit designed for open water endurance swimming. Whether we are going to enter colder water for an open water swim event, triathlon, or just to practice, there are a number of strategies we can use to make acclimatizing to cold water environments easier and make us less likely to get hypothermic. Some of the following tips are just common sense.

1. Focus on body heat conservation. Make sure you have your car heater on en route to the water entry site. Wear warm clothes AND a warm cap. In cold environments, your head becomes a major avenue for heat loss. Science supports the fact that pre-warming oneself prior to a cold challenge allows you to go farther before becoming hypothermic.
  2. Put your wet suit on early! We’ve lost count during the last decade of the number of early season or Northern transition areas that we’ve stood in and watched innumerable triathletes walking about shivering with goose bumps and even purplish extremities and other signs of early hypothermia. Some of those folks even would end up with the medics wrapped in a space blanket instead of crossing the finish line with us at the end of the race. SO, if you are cool in your warm-up clothes, put your wet suit on and zip ‘er up. The average modern competition suit is far warmer than even two sweat shirts. If you are still cool, put your warm top on over the wetsuit!
  3. Take a large disposable bottle of hot water with you. The hot water should be protected from getting cold by placing it in the middle of your gear bag. An empty large Gatorade bottle works well. Take the bottle to your water entry site and making sure it is not hot enough to burn you, pour it down the neck of your wet suit about 5-10 mins before you enter the water. The reason to use a disposable bottle is that you may be in a starting corral with a thousand friends you never met before and the bottle is best left in or near a trash bin. The warm water in your suit will largely prevent the in rush of cold water into the suit upon entering the water.
  4. Purchase a neoprene wetsuit cap at a scuba store These are great heat loss prevention devices. You want to get one that looks like a bathing cap with a Velcro chin strap. Don’t get a full hood. Put the cap on under your colored cap marking your wave. The blood vessels to your head can’t constrict the way (if they did you’d pass out from lack of circulation to your brain!) the ones in your feet and hands do in the cold, so your head becomes a major avenue for heat loss, especially in cold water. The neoprene foam cap will largely prevent this problem
  5. Experiment and find out whether the water temp you’ll be swimming in makes you dizzy As water temperatures fall below 65°F, increasing numbers of swimmers experience dizziness due to cold water entering their external ear canals. This is especially true as temps reach 60°F and below. If you are unfortunate enough to get dizzy, then you’ll need to swim with some form of ear plugs. You should experiment and find out which ones are acceptable in the pool. The inexpensive ones sold for use in construction made of foam work well and if they get lost in T1, no matter as they cost less than $2 per pair. This is cheap insurance against a cold water swim DNF.
  6. Go to the water’s edge and thoroughly splash water on your face 3-5 mins before entering the water This tactic will largely eliminate the shortness of breath many of us experience with cold water entry.
  7. Avoid a “warm-up” swim more than 5-10 mins before the start The last thing you want to do is “warm-up” long enough before water entry or race start to then become chilled prior to starting your event.
  8. If you are doing a triathlon in cold/wet weather, take time to towel off, and consider use of arm warmers and/or a jacket or warm long sleeve jersey Expect to be cool as you start your bike leg of the race, but use common sense. You should race in a top just a little lighter than one you would use in a practice ride in the same weather conditions. We’ve seen numerous folks heading out on the road to ride in racing singlets or speedo suits with no shirt at all in race day temps as low as the mid thirties. Many of those competitors fail to finish the race, especially the smaller women who lose heat faster in a cold environment.
  9. Try to find an opportunity to practice in cold water Use all the strategy tips listed above for practice sessions. Beware however, that especially on the East coast and in and near larger cities, that you don’t become a criminal by going swimming. Legal concerns posed by the owners of the body of water or the shoreline have made unsupervised swimming in many clean lakes and rivers a crime. So check the rules out before going for a swim. One substitute is early season practice in an unheated outdoor pool. In the wild, wild west or really rural areas, no one really cares what you do so have at it, but remember the number one rule of open water survival,… don’t swim by yourself!
  10. Be prepared to pee in your wetsuit In the physiology science world, there is a well known phenomena known as cold immersion diuresis. That means that your body makes lots of extra urine when you go swimming or diving in cold water. The wetsuit will survive, just get over it if you’re horrified by this idea. Especially in longer swims in really cold water, it is practically unavoidable. Thoroughly rinse your suit out afterward with mild soap and water, it’ll be just fine. An additional strategy here is to remember that in longer swims cold immersion diuresis may contribute to greater fluid losses and hence greater fluid needs, and you may need to drink more after the swim.

The techniques and tactics listed above are tried and true and have helped numerous competitors overcome cold water swim problems and actually come to enjoy some venues that in the past had been the site of miserable swim experiences or worse yet a DNF.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18