BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-22 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

I'm not a morning person either except when on holiday, I love exploring new places while streets are quiet. Though at home, an early Sunday morning bike ride in Greenwich/Bedford (for you locals) is also worth getting up for.

I wonder if there are any evening Triathlons? Seems like a good idea for a really northern latitude. 
I'll be in Alaska in June (but not for anything sport related) it hardly gets dark there at all in June in mid-northern Alaska.

2009-04-22 9:12 AM

I probably should buy some running specific shoes. Usually I just run in my tennis shoes. It doesnt help that im broke, and I dont plan on getting a job this summer. I plan on being well-rested before med school in the fall...or I hope.

Edited by patchadams 2009-04-22 9:13 AM
2009-04-22 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2101628

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
patchadams - 2009-04-21 11:09 PM Does anyone else watch biggest loser?

I am an addicted BL watcher.  There's a good discussion going on under "CupofJoe" where I just posted some thoughts:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155682&posts=14&start=1

2009-04-22 9:24 AM

User image

Master

Morning felow mentees.  Man - you guys stay up LATE!!  I was just catching up on the posts from last night.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that dreads running.  It's just never clicked for me.  I did a 7 mile realy for the Little Rock Marathon in March, and that is my longest run and the only time it's ever felt ok and not just miserable.  On a happy note...I got to put a few miles on the new bike last night.  I love this thing.  It shifts SO nice.  I was very nervous to go up Ft. Roots without my granny gear, but it was a breeze!  I was about 1.5 mph faster than usual going up.  After about an hour, I ran out of steam.  I hadn't had anyting to eat since lunch, and I didn't take a Gu or anyting with me.  Also, I can only drink water when I work out.  All of the sports drinks I've tried are just too thick and sweet.   Our weather here is supposed to be beautiful all week, so I'm hoping to get lots of training in.  I'm even thinking about doing a du with my husband May 25th.  Now I've just got to find a baby sitter  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

2009-04-22 12:31 PM

Am I the only one that enjoys running? haha...Too bad.

I just finished my workout for today, and it felt pretty good.

Now its time to take My Physi. Chemistry Test that I havent studied for ...should be interesting lol
2009-04-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2102317

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
crews - 2009-04-22 7:24 AM

Morning felow mentees.  Man - you guys stay up LATE!!  I was just catching up on the posts from last night.  I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that dreads running.  It's just never clicked for me.  I did a 7 mile realy for the Little Rock Marathon in March, and that is my longest run and the only time it's ever felt ok and not just miserable.  On a happy note...I got to put a few miles on the new bike last night.  I love this thing.  It shifts SO nice.  I was very nervous to go up Ft. Roots without my granny gear, but it was a breeze!  I was about 1.5 mph faster than usual going up.  After about an hour, I ran out of steam.  I hadn't had anyting to eat since lunch, and I didn't take a Gu or anyting with me.  Also, I can only drink water when I work out.  All of the sports drinks I've tried are just too thick and sweet.   Our weather here is supposed to be beautiful all week, so I'm hoping to get lots of training in.  I'm even thinking about doing a du with my husband May 25th.  Now I've just got to find a baby sitter  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

New bikes are so nice, huh?   It's amazing how a new bike that fits perfect makes everything a little easier.

About the sports drink, we make our own.  I based the recipe off a recipe for homemade Gatorade I found on CoolRunning a while ago.

2 gallon pitcher
1 packet of Koolaid
not quite a cup of sugar (I use the 1/3 measuring cup, and do 2.5 of those, roughly)
1-3 tbsp of Morton's Lite Salt (depending on the weather)
water

It's not super sweet because I just use enough sugar to make it taste OK.  That's about 1/3 of the sugar the original recipe called for.

People always ask if it's a pain to make and I have to laugh. It takes less than a minute to mix it all up. We keep all the supplies on hand.

Plus, a while back I was chatting with the Cytomax people at a tri festival, and told them how much I like seeing their name on the venue because it means we'll get Cytomax on the course, instead of Gatorade, which I hate. They asked what flavor I use at home, and I had to admit that I don't buy their stuff. Then I told them my recipe, and they said that it's pretty close to what they use. Except for the sugar. They use maltodextrin instead of plain table sugar. But that stuff's way more expensive than the 25# bag of sugar we get at Costco.

All told, a pitcher-full of drink is about 12¢.

2009-04-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2103143

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
madkat - 2009-04-22 2:45 PM

New bikes are so nice, huh?   It's amazing how a new bike that fits perfect makes everything a little easier.

About the sports drink, we make our own.  I based the recipe off a recipe for homemade Gatorade I found on CoolRunning a while ago.

2 gallon pitcher
1 packet of Koolaid
not quite a cup of sugar (I use the 1/3 measuring cup, and do 2.5 of those, roughly)
water

It's not super sweet because I just use enough sugar to make it taste OK.  That's about 1/3 of the sugar the original recipe called for.

People always ask if it's a pain to make and I have to laugh. It takes less than a minute to mix it all up. We keep all the supplies on hand.

Plus, a while back I was chatting with the Cytomax people at a tri festival, and told them how much I like seeing their name on the venue because it means we'll get Cytomax on the course, instead of Gatorade, which I hate. They asked what flavor I use at home, and I had to admit that I don't buy their stuff. Then I told them my recipe, and they said that it's pretty close to what they use. Except for the sugar. They use maltodextrin instead of plain table sugar. But that stuff's way more expensive than the 25# bag of sugar we get at Costco.

you have no idea how much of a pain in the azz it is to go to the supermarket and load up a cart full of gatoraid or poweraid an then have to store it home (well, you probably do, lol)

thanx for the recipie, i will definately try this at home, it sounds yummy!!!  Any flavors to stay away from??  are any better than the next??

2009-04-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2103196

User image

Master

Rudedog55 - 2009-04-22 2:04 PM

2 gallon pitcher
1 packet of Koolaid
water

you have no idea how much of a pain in the azz it is to go to the supermarket and load up a cart full of gatoraid or poweraid an then have to store it home (well, you probably do, lol)

thanx for the recipie, i will definately try this at home, it sounds yummy!!!  Any flavors to stay away from??  are any better than the next??

Thanks for the recipie!  I will grab some kool-aid next time I'm at the store. 

I definatley feel your pain on buying drinks!  We have to buy water since our's isn't good, gatorade and green tea for the hubby, and vitaminwater for me.  Lord help me if I have to get milk, dog food, beer, or something else heavy too!  On top of all of that...I have to fit it into my Mini Cooper

EDIT: we do have a fridge in the garage for just drinks  that helps on storage.

Edited by crews 2009-04-22 2:32 PM
2009-04-22 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2103196

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Rudedog55 - 2009-04-22 12:04 PM

Ha!  We really did this because 1) I'm cheap; and 2) I hate hate hate plastic bottles.

It really depends on what flavors of Koolaid you like. Green (aka Lime) is subtle enough that you can taste the salt, so we don't use that much. For a while I was on an Orange kick, but am moving toward Purple (grape) or Pink (pink lemonade, or kiwi strawberry), while Eric still likes Blue (blue raspberry).  We just call them by their color since, really, they all taste mostly the same to me.

There's a discount grocery store in town that we go to once every couple of months. They sell most flavors at 6 for a $1. We usually stock up on about 50 packets of whatever is on sale.

We've tried the store brand packets, but they don't always taste as good. Some we got in Louisiana just tasted like chemicals to me.

Of course, they're ALL chemicals in the end. I'm on a new quest these days to figure out how to make a sports drink that doesn't involve artificial flavor or color.
2009-04-22 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2102006

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 10:54 PM
losta - 2009-04-22 12:05 AM I think I am doing well. I am trying to eat one good meal a day and two meals of 200-220 calorie bars most days. Sometimes I may have two meals.
kaqphin - 2009-04-21 11:54 PM

How are you going with the nutrition/weightloss at the moemnt?

My 2 Cents (and to echo "Biggest Loser" last night): you have to be REALLY careful about not eating ENOUGH food.  If your body doesn't have fuel to support your exercise, it will switch into "famine" mode and it will try to conserve the fat that you currently have, making it very hard to meet your weight loss goals.  The theory is that your body notices that you are still working hard, but there is less food coming in and reacts to what it believes is a famine and tries to help you survive by keeping its current resources intact in case there is very little food available in the future.

By supplying your body with appropriate amounts of healthy food (especially carbs and protein), you fuel the workout and your body goes after the fat, as well.

I just don't want you to become frustrated by doing the "Calories In/Calories Out" math and thinking, "What am I doing wrong?"  My wife has done so many diets over the years, that her body is now trained to expect a famine every two years because that how often it took for her to gain the weight back and start on a new diet plan.  It wasn't until recently that we made this realization and saw that it has to be a long-term combination of good foods and exercise to have any lasting results.

Good luck and great job sticking to your plan!

Oh you are so right about your body getting confused.... sometimes it counter intuitive but you have to eat MORE to loose weight... its about what you are eating as well as too much.

One thing I have found useful in the past is looking at meal plans/suggestions online for various calori counts just to get a feel for what their days look like. Ive never followed one but just some info on the types of food being eaten and when can be really useful to gague of yuor own eating as well as how other people structure their day.

Another key for nutrition is nutrient timing. This is more important if you are working out more than once a day. But WHEN you eat can for some people be as important as what... some well known examples of this are eating as close to waking as possibe when you can (I dont do this on mornings where I have an early workout but I SHOULD find something small to have) and nutrition for recovery post exercise. This can be as simple as your next meal... but on days yuo have multiple workouts is really important to make sure you are recovered and fueled for your next session.... this stuff is something to look at once you get your general day to day eating down... Im not so good at it either - proof that knowing and doing are two very different beasts!

2009-04-22 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2102029

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 11:02 PM
D001 - 2009-04-22 2:26 AM
patchadams - 2009-04-22 12:08 AM I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.
I am a full blown junk-food addict...... I have four basic food groups, but they're not necessarily the ones you'll see on the Food Pyramid: - Sugar - Carbs - Chocolate - Caffeine

Come to Pennsylvania, our food groups are:

Starch
Lard
Sugar
Whoopie Pies 

Mmmmmmmmmm....

I had to google Whoopie Pie.... wasnt sure what to expect... was a bit worried it wouldnt be work safe...

But now I know... looks delish!

2009-04-22 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2102132

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-04-22 11:41 PM

I'm not a morning person either except when on holiday, I love exploring new places while streets are quiet. Though at home, an early Sunday morning bike ride in Greenwich/Bedford (for you locals) is also worth getting up for.

I wonder if there are any evening Triathlons? Seems like a good idea for a really northern latitude. 
I'll be in Alaska in June (but not for anything sport related) it hardly gets dark there at all in June in mid-northern Alaska.

Some places do have after work races... like on a Friday! Often these are more duathon type things but here they tend to be run by the local tri club for example.

I find race days different to normal workout days in that with the adrenaline etc its MUCH easier to get moving!

If you are just new to exercising regularly then the BEST time for you to workout at the moment is when you are most likely to do it. So if yuo prefer afternoons or evenings then do it then. The only other consideration is whether yuo will actually workout - how likely is life and work to get in the way of yoru work out? From time to time is ok and to be expected but if you are ALWAYS finding it hard to fit a workout in then mornings can be useful as its before the day kicks in...

At the end of the day its very personal... I prefer to workout in the evenings unless Im riding or meeting someone... so I know Im more likely to DO my workout if the bulk of the training is scheduled for then!

2009-04-22 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2102266

User image

Champion
Sydney

patchadams - 2009-04-23 12:12 AM I probably should buy some running specific shoes. Usually I just run in my tennis shoes. It doesnt help that im broke, and I dont plan on getting a job this summer. I plan on being well-rested before med school in the fall...or I hope.

You have a lot on yuor plate... I would suggest you work out the things yuo want... then thing about what you actually NEED. Then go from there...

Things like a new bike for example seen like an awesome thing to have but arent essential. The same applies for trisuits and lots of other gear...

I would say running shoes (good ones, properly fitted from a proper running store) may just be the one and only thing you might want to spend money on.... when you can of course. Dont go into debt for this sport!

2009-04-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2102317

User image

Champion
Sydney

crews - 2009-04-23 12:24 AM

You sound so excited!! THats great!!!

Isnt it amazing how an upgrade in components just makes a ride SO much more enjoyable

Hope you find that babysitter!

2009-04-22 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

My trainer who is an avid mountain biker swear my maltodextrin.... once again its all specific... some people find their stomachs can handle the sugar.

I started using an electrolyte tablet in water - no calories but had the sodium/potassium/magnesium mixture. I knoe nto everyone things salt tabs help so its personal but it was a great place for me to start and it had a really lite citrus flavour. Then I just supplement with real food like muesli bars and nutella sandwiches with a crusts cut off... durign a long ride I worry more about finding foods my tummy can handle and less about anything else...

I recently bought some gatorade powder and started mixing it up much weaker than the recommended amount and heading out with one gatorade bidon and one of water... gradually Ive been able to increase the strength of the gatorade but I do find I WANT it if I go for a ride of more than say an hour to an hour and a half...

The biggest thing I need to start doing is taking in calories earlier... in my case Im pretty sure its going to be real food more than liquid calories for training but because I prefer water and can stick to that for an hour or more before i crave calories Im already in deficit by the time I start eating... which is BAD for LONG rides...

So... times are going to have to change for me!!

2009-04-22 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Several years ago, my dog came down with a severe stomach ailment. (Let's just say there were violent eruptions from all openings....)

The vet said it was going around the neighborhood. He said that EVERY dog that had it, had needed IV fluids, due to severe dehydration. He told me to set up an return appointment for the following day, as he was sure that the dog would need an IV by then.

On the way home, I picked up Pedialyte and Gatorade.

First, the dog knocked over the bowl of Pedialtye. Next, he knocked over the Gatorade.

I read the list of ingredients, and realized it's really not a big deal.... (And that's it's sure expensive for what's in it!)

I boiled up some chicken, and strained off the broth. Added some Morton's Lite Salt and sugar....

And the dog slurped it up.

Later on, the vet told me he was the only dog he'd seen who hadn't needed an IV. I told him about my chicken-flavored gatorade, and he laughed.

All of which goes to show that --> You could probably add ANY flavor to it that you want. Including chicken.

Edited by D001 2009-04-22 8:17 PM

2009-04-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2089562

Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - Open
Sulcus - 2009-04-16 2:49 PM

My bike – I was VERY nervous about trotting into my first race with a mountain bike but everyone has made me feel better about it.

I am in the same exact boat, so let's not sweat it. We can do this. Even on a mountain bike. :-)
2009-04-22 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2089738

madkat - 2009-04-16 3:59 PM Man, I got on the scale this morning and was so disappointed to see 192.5, again. Just seeing that number on the screen in front of me right now makes me want to cry. I was 160 when I met Eric 6 years ago. I'm so frustrated with myself. I'm tired of the self-sabotage. Again, I know what I need to do. It's the doing that seems to be the challenge.  I think I need help just setting up a reasonable goal. I hate to think of myself turning 40 at the end of the year, and still being "fat." But saying I'll get back to 160 means losing 30+ pounds. And that's a lot to think of. Right now, I'd like to get below 190, and then 185, and then below 180.  And I think that would go a long long way toward helping me feel better, physically and emotionally.

MadKat, I am in the same exact boat. Down to the scale hitting high 190s this week. I also get frustrated, overwhelmed at the seeming insurmountable weight, etc. My problem is more diet than exercise, though.
Just didn't want you to feel alone.
2009-04-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2089975

Thanks for the warm welcome, Kat!

My cycling is . . . not great. I am using a mountain bike. Old. I did get it into the bike shop and it is running well. I am just really slow on the bike. That is my definite fear/weakness.

Swimming is going well. I swam competitively as a kid/into high school. I would like to learn what to do to improve my stroke, but i feel pretty confident about the swim, and have no fear of it, or of swimming open water.

Definitely my fear is the bike.

Concerning weight, i am currently doing Weight Watchers, but I am being careful about getting a great breakfast in before my workouts, and eating something right after. So far, i have felt great, (a little hungry at night) and lost weight, with no bonks during workouts.

However, I might bonk trying to wade through all these posts. Y'all are active!
2009-04-22 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2104034

User image

Champion
Sydney

DogwoodGirl - 2009-04-23 11:26 AM

My bike – I was VERY nervous about trotting into my first race with a mountain bike but everyone has made me feel better about it.

I am in the same exact boat, so let's not sweat it. We can do this. Even on a mountain bike. :-)

And yuo will NOT be the only ones on mountain bikes....

You will be amazed at some of the things people pull out of the shed!

2009-04-22 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2104085

User image

Champion
Sydney

DogwoodGirl - 2009-04-23 11:42 AM Thanks for the warm welcome, Kat!

My cycling is . . . not great. I am using a mountain bike. Old. I did get it into the bike shop and it is running well. I am just really slow on the bike. That is my definite fear/weakness.

Swimming is going well. I swam competitively as a kid/into high school. I would like to learn what to do to improve my stroke, but i feel pretty confident about the swim, and have no fear of it, or of swimming open water.

Definitely my fear is the bike.

Concerning weight, i am currently doing Weight Watchers, but I am being careful about getting a great breakfast in before my workouts, and eating something right after. So far, i have felt great, (a little hungry at night) and lost weight, with no bonks during workouts.

However, I might bonk trying to wade through all these posts. Y'all are active!

On the posts - just read what yuo can and take what yuo need... dont worry about the bike too much - the best place to start with cycling is to just get time in the saddle (commonly known around here as )

Ive done weight watchers in the past and still use a vague recollection of points to vaguely monitor/sense check my diet from time to time. I actually went back about 18 months or so ago but found I had a lot of trouble making it work around the volume of training I was doing... but I think I would go back and try again if I could make it work - its a great program and certainly has a lot of good common sense behind it!

Sounds to me like youve found a great balance with yuor training and eating so keep it up!

2009-04-22 9:18 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

2 gallon pitcher
1 packet of Koolaid
water

i just want to get this right......so even though the recipie on the back of the kool aid packet says 2 quart container, you are diluting it down to 2 gallons???  do you have to use lite salt, or can you use regular iodized salt??  thanx for the tips!!!

2009-04-22 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2103754

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
kaqphin - 2009-04-22 7:18 PM

JoeBWan - 2009-04-22 11:02 PM
D001 - 2009-04-22 2:26 AM
patchadams - 2009-04-22 12:08 AM I think I eat too much or atleast too much crap, hopefully I can change this.
I am a full blown junk-food addict...... I have four basic food groups, but they're not necessarily the ones you'll see on the Food Pyramid: - Sugar - Carbs - Chocolate - Caffeine

Come to Pennsylvania, our food groups are:

Starch
Lard
Sugar
Whoopie Pies 

Mmmmmmmmmm....

I had to google Whoopie Pie.... wasnt sure what to expect... was a bit worried it wouldnt be work safe...

But now I know... looks delish!

Graham crackers, marshmallow or whipped cream covered in chocolate, mmmmmm how could you go wrong with those combos!!!

2009-04-22 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Umm we dont have Graham crackers here....

2009-04-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2104034

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
DogwoodGirl - 2009-04-22 9:26 PM

dood, no worries, you will see every variation of bicycle at a race, from blinged out Tri bikes that cost more than most cars, to the bikes that look like the Wicked Witch of the West would ride in the Wizard of OZ (not the Aussie Oz ,Cat).

You will be just fine on a MTB!!! but get some skinny tires!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58