of 27

2009-05-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2168644

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Morning everyone

I had a nice "recovery" ride with the kids yesterday instead of a complete day off.  I'm glad I didn't plan anything more cos I could feel it in my legs.  I actually didn't feel too good yesterday (nauseaus for some reason - no! definitely not morning nausea!!!!!!!) - feel  a bit better today, though a little wobbly. 
I may take the day off today but my youngest (age 10) is having 4 friends over for a sleepover so it might actually be more relaxing to escape this evening for a bike ride!

Dee, you are very sensible about training and know what you are doing.  Upping the training to get to a longer distance required is of course the way you need to go.  Swim and bike shouldn't be a problem.  Just be careful on that running.  However, as you are a runner I think you will probably be able to handle that sensibly.

Heidi, have you been thinking more about your race plans this year?
Everyone else - I hope you are having  a great holiday weekend, camping etc and will report in next week to tell us what you have been up to.
This is our big "buy plants" weekend now theoretically frost risk is over so I'll be spending a lot of time in the garden for a while.

2009-05-24 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2168644

User image

Expert
Dee Cooper - 2009-05-22 3:36 PM Heidi- how far out is your Olympic race? Have you raced that distance before? When you say you are falling consistenly behind in your hours, by how much? A few suggestions.... I have 2 young kids at home also - a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old who will be done with school next Wednesday. - Wake up early and workout before the rest of the house is up - Use the childcare at your gym while you workout - Would the kids be willing to go with you on a bike ride or a run? I have been known to push the jogger stroller while my 8 yr old runs with me for my 3-4 mile easy runs. - Work out after the kids are in bed - Use an indoor trainer to get some biking hours in - Take the kids to the track and let them play on the inside while you run laps I find that as long as I structure my workouts so I can get the sleep I need, I do okay. I am in bed between 9 and 10 every night depending on how early I am getting up. You need to do whatever is best for you and your family life right now, so I am just making suggestions to help with whatever distance you choose.

Thanks Dee- The Oly is on August 2. I've never raced an oly before. I've actually never done an official Sprint yet either. (Long story for a different post)

I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I do have a trainer for the bike. That is sort of my default mode of exercise when I didnt get anything else in for the day. In bed by 9 or 10 is not a possibility here, so I often work out late at night. I'm going to try taking them to the track with me and see how that goes.
2009-05-24 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert

Good morning every one,

On Friday when I ran, I thought I was struggling with allergies. It turns out that I have a horrible cold. I'm frustrated with myself because I didn't take Zicam (thinking allergies) Yesterday was really bad- I had difficulty breathing through out the day. I tried to do my run in the AM, but stopped after the first half mile.

My husband and I have been planning to do a long bike trip today, with a stop for lunch in this cute lake side town at the end of the trail.  I've been looking forward to this for weeks, and My oldest is going to babysit. But, now I don't know if I feel up to it. If we go, it definately won't be a blazing fast ride, and we'll probably cut the distance short. Frown

Jackie- I haven't put much more thought into switching races. I need to take some time to search for some sprints that are within driving distance for me, and see if I like any of them.

2009-05-24 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2170452

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
So sorry you are sick with a cold.  I hope you feel well enough today to go on that bike ride with your hubby.  That sounds like a lovely thing to do.

I rode my bike around the upcoming tri route today.  I keep figuring it must help!  I also ran the tri route with my neighbour who I am helping with her first triathlon - she did great.

Jackie
2009-05-24 1:34 PM

User image

MA
Hello ladies,

hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I've been spending my weekend driving all over MA looking for apartments (booooo). If by some random chance any of you know of a nice apartment out near boston/somerville area please let me know.

I've been very bad about getting out to ride my bike, so that is my focus this week. I want to make sure i ride at least 3 times. I have also found that I really love my masters group and am very glad I joined. I'll need to find another one where ever i move to in a month.
2009-05-25 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Hi all -

Sorry I've been absent.  Finals and moving back to California has pretty much occupied all my time over the past week.  I just got home this afternoon around 1pm... they lost my bags en route, so I am without workout clothes.  Fortunately, that is what little sisters are made for!

Heidi, I hope you feel better soon.  Looking forward to reading what everyone's been up to!

2009-05-26 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2172447

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone
Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Far too much food around here!
What has everyone got planned this week?  I am swimming tonight with my masters group and that's all I have scheduled, but I may run today as well -  partly cos I need to and partly cos it's supposed to start raining from tonight for a while so I'd rather run in the dry

Jackie
2009-05-26 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!

I'm still not feeling great, but I think I'm a little better than yesterday.

I'm scheduled for a swim today, but can't imagine dealing with the chlorine air today. I'm still having some problems with breathing.

I did copy down my schedule for the week and post it- along with the target total of minutes for each discipline. So, we'll see how that goes.

I'm looking at a 5k run on 6/14/09. I'll let you know if I sign up for it.

Diana- I'm glad you made it safely to California. I hope your bags arrive soon.
Rachel-any luck on the apartment search?
2009-05-26 10:59 AM

User image

Master
I'm back!  and healthier!  still have an occasional cough, but some of that is likely from all the dust from camping this weekend. 

I have a sore left shoulder, either from sleeping on it funny in the tent or from pulling a move rock climbing.  It's not a limiting soreness so I hope to get some laps in the pool this morning and feel better. 

I did not get any running in - running alongside the dirt roads full of 4x4s stirring up loads of dust was not appealing for safety or health - I limited myself to hikes and climbs. 

More later after more laundry, unpacking, and a workout!
-Cynthia
2009-05-26 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone! I hope your weekends all went well.
I did a summit attempt on Grays Peak yesterday with 2 friends of mine- we made it up to the saddle at about 13,500 feet before we got hammered with snow and no visibility. It was a really fun climb in the snow - springtime in the Rockies!
After that climb, I slept for a whopping 10 1/2 hours last night.
I just got back from the pool and an 1800 meter easy workout with some work on my form.
Tomorrow is a spin class.
Not sure about the rest of the week yet. I am hoping to climb again on Sunday, so that will move some things around on the workout schedule.
Here is a link to my complete trip report from the weekend.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5986&parmpeak=Gra...

I"m off to get things ready for the 2nd grade class party tomorrow afternoon.
Last day of school! I love it!

Dee
2009-05-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2174562

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone

Excellent - I am glad we have everyone back - Jenny is probably nearly back and recovering from her weekend trip I imagine.
A few of you seem to camp - my hubby won't have any of it - likes his luxury.  I'll have to work on him to try and persuade him that cabins maybe an alternative as I would like to take the boys "camping" some time.   In my teens we used to load up our rucksacks with tent etc and go off hiking for days - Dartmoor and New Forest in England.  No bears and poisenous creatures in UK though.

Anyway I didn't run yesterday, which was fine, it wasn't on my "plan" (which I loosely follow).  I did swim though.   I shall run and bike today.  Inside bike I think because it is some specific zone stuff which is easier to control inside.

So, this week lets talk about "don't try anything new on race day".  First thing that comes to mind is nutrition.  For shorter distances training wise we often don't need to take any nutrition and just have water.  But come race day, putting it all together can result in several hours of intense activity.    As glycogen stores only last approx an hour it is probably a good idea to put some nutrition into our bodies so we can feel good and finish strong.    However, race day is not the time to test it out!    For some of your longer workouts start playing around with what you might like to use.  For shorter races (and they even say Ironman you can do it too!) a sports drink should suffice, so use it sometimes in training.  Personally, I use gels in transition on sprint and oly dist races and have sports drink/ water on my bike.  I only started using gels cos I used them for my IM and found them to be one of the very few things I can eat and still run and not get cramps.  They must be washed down with at least 4-6oz water though.
This is all personal though - I can eat solid food on bike but no where near a run (or intense swim for that matter) or I get a "side stitch"
It's not just about nutrition though - clothing - try out in training what you think you may wear in a race.  For example if you want to try and race without socks, try it in training first.   Make sure your shoes don't get their first outing at a race.

Finally for todays "essay", bikes.    Now is the best time of the year to have your bike checked over (or do it yourself if you know how) and to have it "tuned up" so it will perform for you for your race season.

Have a good day everyone - looks like a rainy one here so I will try and dodge the showers for my run.

Jackie

2009-05-27 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Alright! I still feel awful! The plan is to bike tonight, since it's the only thing I feel up for.

Great suggestions Jackie. I have to make a trip to the running store for some fueling options to try. Other than the running store, where else does every one pick up their gels? Our grocery store dosn't seem to carry them.
2009-05-27 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2176876

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
Obviously only you know how you feel but just a thought - you have been feeling sick for a few days now (plus) and still have been pushing through some workouts.  Perhaps you should consider just taking a few straight days off???

As for gels, our supermarkets/ grocery stores don't do them. Our running store, bike shops and tri store do (each carry various brands).  Also I have found some in The Vitamin store.   Sports drink they do do in our grocery store (even gatorade endurance) but I am trying gu2o at the moment and I ordered that online.

Jackie
2009-05-27 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2177003

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Ladies!
This weekend was a long adventure, but a fun one. We went camping to Washington Island and Rock Island in Northeast Wisconsin. Rock Island is my favorite place to camp, because the whole island is a state park, no bikes or cars allowed. It is absolutely gorgeous there, and lots to do. We hiked the trails around the whole island at night (with our headlamps) which is about 6.5 miles. I was really sore after that! There are lots to see along the way, including cemeteries, ruins from the 1800's, a lighthouse, old Indian carvings, etc. We hiked every day about 5-6 miles.
I was really worn out yesterday and today, so I didn't get any training in. But tomorrow I am going to be back on track for sure. Here's my plan for the rest of this week:
Thursday: Swim/bike
Friday: Lift/Run
Saturday: Bike
Sunday: Swim/Run
Monday: Bike
Tuesday: Soccer/Run
Wednesday: Soccer/Bike
Thursday: Swim
Have a great evening!
Jenny
2009-05-28 12:25 AM

User image

Regular
Wow Jenny - That sounds like so much fun!

I got in a nice long swim today, outdoors!!  The weather is perfect here.  Got a shorter run (5 miles) planned for tomorrow.  Got to try and get back on a regular training schedule. 

Take it easy, Heidi.  Feel better! 
2009-05-28 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Jenny-
The camping trip sounds like a great time! I think I'm too much of a "scaredy cat" to hike at night- but it sounds like you had fun.

I did take yesterday off completely. Was actually in bed by 9PM- which is unheard of for me. I'll see how today goes, but I might rest again today.

Thanks for the gel info. There's a running store just down the block from my office-so I"ll duck in there soon to see what some of their options are.

2009-05-28 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
I'm getting ready to choose a 5k race for June, which has led me to a QOTD (okay.. maybe a few QOTD's).

When there are several options for races, how do you choose one?

Does any one else get stressed  and psyche themselves out on a new course?

If so, how do you overcome that?

Thanks,
Heidi
2009-05-28 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Choosing a race: I almost always go for the race with the best scenery.
If you find yourself nervous about the course, and it is a local race, go run the course a few
times before the race itself. This can be a great way to PR at a race also

I get to climb another mountain this weekend - on Sunday. We are hoping for a little less snow than we had on Monday. (That seems strange to write when it is 75 and sunny at my house).
I also have my first race in 1 1/2 weeks - one week from Friday. I am excited about the race, but a bit nervous about the water temperature - it is 64 today. Hopefully that will warm up a bit.

I am going to do nothing for a few days. That hike really wiped me out and I have done a couple of hard workouts this week also. I am planning to enjoy the start of summer break with my kids and go hiking with my older son.

Have a great day everyone!
Dee
2009-05-28 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2179122

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
When I am choosing a 5k I tend to go local - either a race that others I know are doing (nice to be social afterwards) or in an area I know well.

I don't like racing somewhere new without sussing out the course, even tri's (especially tri's) so I will either train or at the very least drive the course.  That way I know what to expect, I can plan better and it is far less nervy cos I don't have to face the unknown.

Also depends on why I am doing the race - just a good intense training session or to set a PR.  Obviously on the latter I would probably choose a paved, flat course!
2009-05-28 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2179978

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Heidi-
I agree- I usually go with local races, and many times look for races associated with groups I am familiar with or ones that friends are doing. For tri's- I usually go for local races, or ones with scenary- for example, Chicago triathlon you ride down Lake Shore Drive past Navy Pier and the run is past the Aquarium and the Field Museum.
Anyone have big plans for the weekend? We are participating in a road rally on Saturday- it's a scavenger hunt like race with clues and stops and stuff- my co-worker's parents are hosting it. We won last time, so hopefully we can defend our title.
Good night!
Jenny
2009-05-29 12:17 AM

User image

Regular
Had a long day - did a 5 mile run around 4pm.  It was about 85 out, and I think I'm starting to get used to it.  Kindof.  Otherwise, I'm spending a lot of time trying to prep for my summer internship, which is apparently going to be rather tough computationally.  Yey more math!

My personal QOTD:  What does everybody like to do in the way of pre-race warm up? 

Take care, all.  : )

2009-05-29 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Diana-Enjoy the warm weather! We've been having rain since Tuesday

To answer your QOTD: I don't have much of a routine. I usually do some light stretching and walk around for about 10 minutes.  I try to eat a protein bar about an hour before a race- it gives me energy, but doesn't upset my stomach when I'm running.

Thanks for all the feedback to my questions. My goals for this weekend are to feel well enough to get my workouts in, and to find a local race that has the course map posted  (for some reason, that doesn't seem to be a common practice around here.) Then,
I will sign up for a 5k and get motivated to do better than last time.

Have a great day every one.
Heidi
2009-05-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2180299

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Diana-
My pre-race warm-up (depending on the race and what is available) mostly is a mile easy jog and some really good stretching. I almost spend more time stretching then I do jogging, but it also gives me time to sort of mentally prepare for the race. If I am able to get into the water, I may jump in and swim a little to get used to the temperature and to limit the initial shock of the cold when I first jump in. Oh, and depending on the race, I may ride my bike to transition to set up, so there's a little warm-up there too I guess.
It has been rainy and chilly here the past couple days, so I am hoping for sun and warmer weather today for my run!
Jenny
2009-05-29 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
I managed to do an 80 minute bike ride on the trainer today. I tried an orange flavored GU today. I'm not crazy about the texture, but the flavor was better than the Carboom that I tried a couple of weeks ago.
2009-05-29 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
My prerace warmup routine depends on the race. If it is a running-only event, I will do a 5-6 minute easy warmup run and some light stretching to get the blood flowing.
For a triathlon, part of my warmup is just getting into the TA- usually a 1/2 mile walk or a ride into the TA from the parking area. I always set up my space, then walk through all the ins and outs - swim in, bike out, bike in, run out, finish line. It helps me get a feel for where my stuff is located and especially helps if the TA is set up strange. I always get into the water and swim around for 10 minutes or so to warm up and get used to the water.

A note on feeling sick or tired - I agree with Jackie completely that sometimes 2 or 3 days of complete rest is a good idea. Usually when we are feeling really tired and beat up or we have some nagging cold, our bodies are telling us to chill out for a few days. You won't lose any fitness you have gained by taking even up to a week off - in fact, you will most likely come back refreshed, feeling strong and healthy, and ready to go!

Another thing to consider is nutrition when you are feeling tired or sick. Are you taking your vitamins on a regular basis? Is anything missing from your diet? I know that since having kids, I am prone to iron / protein deficiency and I can tell right away if I get really tired that I need to up my iron and protein for a few days.

My husband and older son are camping at 11,000 feet tonight in preparation for a summit attempt on Mt. Princeton. The trail is 6 miles roundtrip and 80% snow free, so I really hope they get up. This will be our son's first 14er
They will be back tomorrow night, then my friend Liz and I are heading out to camp at the trailhead for our summit attempt on La Plata Sunday. We are planning to be up and on the trail by 5:30 am. It is 7 -8 miles roundtrip, depending on how far up we are able to drive. The best thing is that a trip to the hot springs is in order after our hike!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27