BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-13 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2612432

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
calimavs - 2010-01-13 1:52 PMHi team! Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday. The week is halfway over!

I was supposed to run 5 miles last night but ended up getting home and having to wait for a perishable box from UPS. They didn't show up until 8 and at that point I was starving and tired and decided to bag my run. In the box were four frozen deep dish Chicago-style pizza's from Lou Malnati's that one of my best friends from college (a Chicago native) bought me for my birthday last month. So, I sat on the sofa and watched Biggest Loser and had 2 pieces of pizza with my husband. I feel sort of guilty today but I figure that I don't slack off like that too often, and that occasional relaxation isn't going to kill me. Tongue out

Today I'm doing something I never, ever though I'd do, I'm going to track practice! My tri club is kicking off this year's Wednesday night track workouts with a track clinic for people who have never run on a track before. I'm excited to try it out and see how it goes. There are 41 of us running the half marathon I'm signed up for in February so all the workouts are tailored towards that race which is nice. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Chicago deep dish and The Biggest Loser are two of my favorite things! I think deep dish is my favorite part about visiting Chicago. I'd love to hear all about the track workout! I'll be joining them soon too. Unfortunately, not for a month and a half or so due to my after-school teaching schedule on Wednesdays. I'm also joining GGTC, so I'd love to hear any input you have, Margot! By the way... sometimes skipping a run is a blessing in disguise (especially if it involves Chicago deep dish). It is a complete protein and complex carb to aide in recovery, right?

2010-01-14 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2613058

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
justtrichris - 2010-01-13 11:08 PM I cannot tell a lie. 45 minutes on the trainer. It's all mental for me. I'll try to push through next time and sit on it for 60 minutes. Even with a good movie on, it still kills me! Any tips?

Oh, I totally feel your pain. This is going to sound completely dorky, but I picked this tip up from a few people who do long trainer rides. I watch the Ironman World Champions on the trainer if I go over 30 minutes. I did an hour a week ago to it and it goes by alot faster. Also, I'll sometimes have my ipod on and blast music with a movie that I've seen a bunch of times on.
2010-01-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2610908

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I keep looking at your name and thinking you are from San Diego.....so if I pull off my season, maybe I will see you down at Cancun 70.3 in September, or if I grow a wild hair maybe Cozymel 2010.And like Karen said, nutrition is very individualistic, so research, start seeing what works and doesn't work for you.

Ha... That is what I use as a reference to spell my last name when I am up there. If not they get pretty creative. Would be cool to see you down here. If you do decide to come down, let me know and I will be glad to help in anyway I can.

2010-01-14 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Master

Ok, so I joined the Livestrong DailyPlate website thingy to start tracking calories a little closer.  Username is crews77 if you want to add me as a friend

2010-01-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2612790

User image

Veteran
justtrichris - 2010-01-13 7:51 PM I am about to ride for an hour on the trainer! There. I just gave myself accountability. Now, I have to report back about it. I'm coming to find out that the trainer is much like the treadmill. It's always 1,000 times better outdoors! I'll be back on later tonight. I hope everyone had a great day!

I have trouble doing long rides too.  One trick is to find a tv show, movie, something that you can ride longer to.  Usually a recorded basketball game works pretty good for me.  Something I am going to try this year is to different drills on it (ie like what Karen does....one leg drills, tempo drills, etc), instead of just riding.

One thing is that most people agree that 45 minutes on the trainer is like 1 hour on the road (no coasting, downhills, or stop lights) but I guess that is debatable since you don't get the same workout.

Keep in the back of your mind, what the trainer ride is doing for you is that it will enhance your next ride outdoors because you will be in better shape and have a better "real" ride.
2010-01-14 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2613845

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-14 10:52 AM I keep looking at your name and thinking you are from San Diego.....so if I pull off my season, maybe I will see you down at Cancun 70.3 in September, or if I grow a wild hair maybe Cozymel 2010.And like Karen said, nutrition is very individualistic, so research, start seeing what works and doesn't work for you.

Ha... That is what I use as a reference to spell my last name when I am up there. If not they get pretty creative. Would be cool to see you down here. If you do decide to come down, let me know and I will be glad to help in anyway I can.

That would be great.  I am sure I will be down there for either a race or a vacation sometime soon.  They run some pretty good vacation packages down to that area for us Texans.  Would be nice to meet up for lunch or dinner.  Maybe if I end up racing, we could meet up at a restaurant that you recommend before the race.

Edited by Big_D 2010-01-14 5:05 PM

2010-01-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2614686

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Big_D - 2010-01-14 5:03 PM
gerrydiego - 2010-01-14 10:52 AM I keep looking at your name and thinking you are from San Diego.....so if I pull off my season, maybe I will see you down at Cancun 70.3 in September, or if I grow a wild hair maybe Cozymel 2010.And like Karen said, nutrition is very individualistic, so research, start seeing what works and doesn't work for you.

That would be great.  I am sure I will be down there for either a race or a vacation sometime soon.  They run some pretty good vacation packages down to that area for us Texans.  Would be nice to meet up for lunch or dinner.  Maybe if I end up racing, we could meet up at a restaurant that you recommend before the race.

Definitively let me  know when you know your dates and we will figure something out. I may do the Austin Olympic. I think its in May and it would be cool to go back to the old stomping grounds. Riding through Congress must be pretty cool.

I hope tomorrow my chest is clear. I want to do a nice long swim...

Have a good one

2010-01-14 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2613058

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
justtrichris - 2010-01-13 11:08 PM

I cannot tell a lie. 45 minutes on the trainer. It's all mental for me. I'll try to push through next time and sit on it for 60 minutes. Even with a good movie on, it still kills me! Any tips?

1) Don't watch the time.

2) Don't watch the distance.

3) Only watch your speed and candence.

4) Zone out. Just pedal and focus on the TV.

5) Get it in your head that you WILL make it 60 minutes.

Good luck! Great job on the 45 minutes!

2010-01-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2613643

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-14 9:47 AM

justtrichris - 2010-01-13 11:08 PM I cannot tell a lie. 45 minutes on the trainer. It's all mental for me. I'll try to push through next time and sit on it for 60 minutes. Even with a good movie on, it still kills me! Any tips?

Oh, I totally feel your pain. This is going to sound completely dorky, but I picked this tip up from a few people who do long trainer rides. I watch the Ironman World Champions on the trainer if I go over 30 minutes. I did an hour a week ago to it and it goes by alot faster. Also, I'll sometimes have my ipod on and blast music with a movie that I've seen a bunch of times on.

Great suggestions there too!!!!

I know when I do interval work it makes the time fly!

2010-01-14 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
10 miles on the treadmill tonight. What fun! Ha!

Keep up the great training everyone!

Sorry for not being around much- crazy busy over here!

2010-01-15 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Happy Friday everyone. Did a nice swim this morning. Heading out of town for the weekend, but hope  to get a couple of runs in. Have a good weekend! 

2010-01-15 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
I hope everybody is having a good Friday so far. What does everybody have on tap for this Weekend?

I'm running my first 10k ever on Saturday!!! Plan on training Sunday morning, and then watching the Cowboys play @ noon.

Have a great weekend!
2010-01-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2615893

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-15 11:07 AM I hope everybody is having a good Friday so far. What does everybody have on tap for this Weekend?

I'm running my first 10k ever on Saturday!!! Plan on training Sunday morning, and then watching the Cowboys play @ noon.

Have a great weekend!

You're such a copy cat.  I AM doing MY first 10k ever on Saturday.  But I am going to dvr the Viking's game and watch it after track practice at 1:30.  BTW the game starts noon Eastern!!  You really need to join us one of these times since you are a runner now.
2010-01-15 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Happy Friday everyone!

Track was good on Wednesday, it was interesting to learn the terminology and do some drills. I only ran less than two miles on the track and I was SO SORE yesterday! I think I really need to ease into speed work because it is a totally different beast than my longer steady runs.

Good luck to those of you doing the 10k this weekend! That is super exciting. I've been pretty worn out and tired this week so I'm planning on running tonight, going to a restorative yoga and meditation class at the gym tomorrow and then my long run (9 miles) on Sunday. Excited for a three day weekend!
2010-01-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2615953

User image

Veteran
calimavs - 2010-01-15 11:38 AM Happy Friday everyone!

Track was good on Wednesday, it was interesting to learn the terminology and do some drills. I only ran less than two miles on the track and I was SO SORE yesterday! I think I really need to ease into speed work because it is a totally different beast than my longer steady runs.

Good luck to those of you doing the 10k this weekend! That is super exciting. I've been pretty worn out and tired this week so I'm planning on running tonight, going to a restorative yoga and meditation class at the gym tomorrow and then my long run (9 miles) on Sunday. Excited for a three day weekend!

Yes track practice is a whole different beast and I love it, haha.  And yes, you should ease into it as you are using different muscles with slightly different form.  Pay attention of your run paces and you will see once you get used to track your other run times will get faster and faster.
2010-01-17 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Hello Group!  I am loving this three-day weekend.  Then, I only teach on Tues, Wed, and Thurs with Friday off!  So, only a three-day work week for me!  Friday is our one-day semester break.  I love times like this where it gives me the chance to be well rested and get in some good, quality workouts NOT after work!

Tania, how was your 10k?  I hope it was a good run for you!

Margot, I just saw that the informational meeting for TAG Wildflower is on the GGTC calendar. I'm looking forward to joining the club!  How is your training coming along for the Kaiser Half?  Where are you and your husband in the city?  I do most of my running along the Embarcadero or Crissy Field.  I wonder if we've ever run by each other!

For those of you on The Daily Plate... I loved it when I used it!  It was great!  It really helped me get accustomed to portion sizes and getting a good ratio of carbs/fat/protein.  I don't use it anymore because I love to cook, and sometimes have seven or eight vegetables in a recipe.  I became tired of measuring everything, including half a red pepper, a cup of broccoli, 2 chives, etc... However, if you cook without tons of ingredients or don't mind taking the time to create recipes on there, it's a great site!  I used it for  year with great success!  Now, I just take what I learned from it and apply it to my eating.

Everyone, thank you so much for the trainer tips!  I'm seeing improvements each time I ride outside, and am going to shoot for 60 minutes on the trainer on Monday.

Now, my swimming is another story!  I was feeling comfortable swimming, and everything was going well.  Then, my past two swims this week just stunk!  It's as if I forgot everything I knew about form and technique, and I was getting winded.  It just really brought me down.  I took two technique lessons a while back, and on Monday am talking to the swim director at my gym about taking more.  It's a new gym to me and very nice.  They have a great aquatic facility, so I'm hoping they'll have a great instructor who can help with my technique.   Here's the link on that thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=193439&posts=12&start=1

Have a wonderful day all! 

2010-01-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2618220

User image

Veteran
justtrichris - 2010-01-17 10:43 AMHello Group!  I am loving this three-day weekend.  Then, I only teach on Tues, Wed, and Thurs with Friday off!  So, only a three-day work week for me!  Friday is our one-day semester break.  I love times like this where it gives me the chance to be well rested and get in some good, quality workouts NOT after work!

Margot, I just saw that the informational meeting for TAG Wildflower is on the GGTC calendar. I'm looking forward to joining the club!  How is your training coming along for the Kaiser Half?  Where are you and your husband in the city?  I do most of my running along the Embarcadero or Crissy Field.  I wonder if we've ever run by each other!

For those of you on The Daily Plate... I loved it when I used it!  It was great!  It really helped me get accustomed to portion sizes and getting a good ratio of carbs/fat/protein.  I don't use it anymore because I love to cook, and sometimes have seven or eight vegetables in a recipe.  I became tired of measuring everything, including half a red pepper, a cup of broccoli, 2 chives, etc... However, if you cook without tons of ingredients or don't mind taking the time to create recipes on there, it's a great site!  I used it for  year with great success!  Now, I just take what I learned from it and apply it to my eating.

Everyone, thank you so much for the trainer tips!  I'm seeing improvements each time I ride outside, and am going to shoot for 60 minutes on the trainer on Monday.

Now, my swimming is another story!  I was feeling comfortable swimming, and everything was going well.  Then, my past two swims this week just stunk!  It's as if I forgot everything I knew about form and technique, and I was getting winded.  It just really brought me down.  I took two technique lessons a while back, and on Monday am talking to the swim director at my gym about taking more.  It's a new gym to me and very nice.  They have a great aquatic facility, so I'm hoping they'll have a great instructor who can help with my technique.   Here's the link on that thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=193439&posts=12&start=1

Sounds like you will have a great week. On the swim, I seem to break down and go back to bad habits when I get tired and winded. Maybe cut your distance down and build back up, or take longer breaks and slowly bring the break time down. When you feel your form slipping, stop and either call it a day or take a quick break and then go back at it. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Karen will have some good insight and information for you, she is a super stud swimmer.
2010-01-17 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
justtrichris - 2010-01-17 10:43 AM

Hi Chris,

I actually use spinervals DVDs for my trainer rides. you can buy them based on time or focus. I have a few that are 45 min. 1 hour and 1.5 hours. I pick my time and go from there. They do help to make the time go by and have lots of drills and technique sets to focus on. Otherwise, a good movie!!http://www.spinervals.com/products/department5.cfm web site if you are interested.
I have the same issue with swimming, did some speed drills in my class today and noticed my form going out the window by my 3rd lap. I had to stop, take a break and focus again.  
2010-01-17 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Hello everyone,

It's the weekend and I can now catch up on some posts. Sorry, I'm working 13 hr days and log on just enough to log my AM workout..then go off to bed. Nice to see everyone in training mode and starting their races!!

I live in Chicago and we are totally spoiled with good pizza around here. I have cut way back on it because it can easily become a weekly habit, which is not good for me!

Had a great swim today with my swim group, 2100 meters and kept it pretty steady between sets.  I think i'm getting better! Still slow, but technique/form is impoving and hopefully my swim time will then too.
2010-01-17 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
justtrichris - 2010-01-17 8:43 AMHello Group!  I am loving this three-day weekend.  Then, I only teach on Tues, Wed, and Thurs with Friday off!  So, only a three-day work week for me!  Friday is our one-day semester break.  I love times like this where it gives me the chance to be well rested and get in some good, quality workouts NOT after work!

Yup, it looks like they are starting to get the dates nailed down for the start of TAG. I'll be at the kickoff meeting, I'm bummed though I'm going to end up missing the club's Wildflower training weekend since we'll be flying back from our vacation in Italy that weekend. There is a meet and greet for old members and potential new members on January 31st at Sports Basement. If you're free you should think about coming since there should be a big turnout (and a raffle!). We've had a bunch of new people joining lately, I think there were about 10 new members at track this last week.Training for the half is going well, thanks for asking! Last long run is next week and then I start backing off and ease into a weeklong taper. We live in the Outer Richmond, so now most of my runs are in Golden Gate Park or around the neighborhood. I'm close to Baker Beach so in the summertime I also run the Lands End trail and the trail along Lincoln into the Presidio.Good luck with getting more swimming lessons, I know how frustrating working on technique can be. Where do you swim? I'm looking for someone to take a look at my stroke so if you have any recommendations of a good place to go that would be awesome.
2010-01-17 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello everyone!

Looks like you are all doing great!

I have had a crazy-busy weekend. Now it's 8:30 PM and I still need to STUDY! UUGGGGHHHHHH.

I hope you all had a great weekend!

2010-01-18 6:48 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone,

I was gone for the weekend, and it feels like I've been gone for a week.  I also have a new twist to my workouts--the elevator in my building is down, so every time I come home, I have 14 flights of stairs ahead of me.  I actually wouldn't normally mind the extra cardio (and it's definitely cardio--the first time I came home with about 40 lbs of groceries, I thought I was going to pass out by the time I made it to the top), but I've been trying to be so careful to baby my knee as I ease into running, I'm getting sort of worried about the extra stress on my knee the stairs are causing.  Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it I guess.

I actually have a training question.  Right now, my goal is to run/walk 3x a week since I really wanted to focus on getting back into that.  Then it has left me time to swim 2x and bike either 1 or 2x depending on my schedule, leaving one rest day, which I feel like I need at this point.  Still, I'm a terrible swimmer, and I'm wondering if it would make a difference to try to get a third day of swimming in.  I'm not sure how to balance and prioritize everything.

Edited by TritoTeach 2010-01-18 6:49 AM
2010-01-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2619205

User image

Veteran
TritoTeach - 2010-01-18 6:48 AMHi everyone,

I was gone for the weekend, and it feels like I've been gone for a week.  I also have a new twist to my workouts--the elevator in my building is down, so every time I come home, I have 14 flights of stairs ahead of me.  I actually wouldn't normally mind the extra cardio (and it's definitely cardio--the first time I came home with about 40 lbs of groceries, I thought I was going to pass out by the time I made it to the top), but I've been trying to be so careful to baby my knee as I ease into running, I'm getting sort of worried about the extra stress on my knee the stairs are causing.  Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it I guess.

I actually have a training question.  Right now, my goal is to run/walk 3x a week since I really wanted to focus on getting back into that.  Then it has left me time to swim 2x and bike either 1 or 2x depending on my schedule, leaving one rest day, which I feel like I need at this point.  Still, I'm a terrible swimmer, and I'm wondering if it would make a difference to try to get a third day of swimming in.  I'm not sure how to balance and prioritize everything.
Where are you with the knee recovery? I think what helped me with my knee is that I stayed off it (for the most part, I did do some running to get a feel of where I was) until I felt it was ready to go at it again without compromise. That meant a lot more swim and bike time. The extra bike time actually does a lot of good, building up the muscles to help support the knee. I would actually cut the run days down to 2x (or lower if you are still having issues) and increase the bike. That way you build cardio and leg strength while the knee is healing/recovering. Now for the swim, not knowing why you consider yourself "terrible" whether it is being slow or what, I would say that instead of increasing your swim days, possibly hire a swim coach or get some technique lessons. Possibly find someone that is a good swimmer that can help you out and give you some pointers if you didn't want to hire someone.
2010-01-18 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
I hope everyone had a great weekend! I know I did!

Saturday:RR-> 10k Resolution Run. Thanks for all the encouragement on my first 10k. It wasn't fast or pretty, but I got 'er done! This was also the first time I've ever run over an hour straight w/out any walk breaks. No leg issues and I'm soooo happy about that. World of difference in my run training now and compared to last summer.

Sunday: I woke up early and knocked out swim. I swim with a tri team and on Sunday's we do a time trial and then drills. Right now we are practicing in a pool without lanes until the weather warms up and we will move Sunday swims to the lake. We got to practice buoy turning and mass starts, everything goes: ankle grabbing, swim over people, drafting ect. I even swam over 2 of my teamates at the same time who were trying to sandwhich me in to keep me from getting out front. I also got kicked in the face once because I didn't elbow my way up to the front, so to get some back of pack experience. I had so much fun! And then I watched as the Cowboys got whooped up on Cry Vikings played well, Cowboys didn't even show up.
Have a great week and happy training everyone!

Edited by tnguyen1 2010-01-18 9:08 AM
2010-01-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2619205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
TritoTeach - 2010-01-18 6:48 AM Hi everyone,

Go you for being a trooper going up 14 flight of stairs day in and day out. Definately be careful on the knee. Not sure how bad your knee is but be careful and listen to your body. On swimming, not sure what you consider terrible since that is all subjective but to get better at anything the more you do it the better. Since you are recovering from a knee injury swimming is great b/c of the low impact. Also, if you are new to swimming, I think going to 3 days a week would be beneficial with the proper technique of course.

On balancing and prioritizing your training.........it depends how much time you are wanting/willing to allot for each sport. It does get hard juggling 3 diciplines but doable. Question for you would be what days and what time do you have available to to train? I'll just use my training schedule b/c it seems that I have a similar focus as you: run 3x, swim 3x, bike 1-2x. I would put a day between your run days, so my training looks something like:

Run: Tues AM/Thurs AM/Sat AM

Swim: Wed AM/Fri AM/Sun AM

Bike: Wed PM

Strenth Training: Tues PM

Monday: rest day or bike

Of course it's all dependent on what days and times work for you. I always find that I do best when I write out my training. I plan it all out month in advance, but break it down by week and adjust accordingly. Good luck, it does take some thought but when there's a will there's a way!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27