BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2009-12-27 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2569217

Regular
Nebraska
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - OPEN

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:31 PM

2009-12-27 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Dee,

I'm really sorry about your ear issues.

I have some things I do to help keep me consistent (I feel a little guilty mentioning these because I'm retired and have a lot more free time than you so, of course, it's easier for me)

- I workout as early in the day as possible -  the later I schedule it , the more likely I am to skip it
- I think of my workout like brushing my teeth, same priority - I know how yucky I feel all day if I don't brush my teeth
- I think about how good I'll feel after - I always do
- If I really, really want to skip, I tell myself I only have to do 10 minutes - sometimes I only do 10 but often more once I start
- If I miss a workout, I don't try to make it up and I don't feel guilty - just move on
-  I have a treadmill at home but I found it works better for me to  go to the fitness center(our little town just got one) - this must be some kind of mental thing, I don't really understand it.
- The best motivation for me is to have a race scheduled - but you said you've tried that and it doesn't work

Good luck,
Denise
2009-12-27 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Meniscus:
I don't remember reading about your torn meniscus in your bio - only other injuries
Darn meniscus!  I didn't even know what one was until I tore it.  Had 30% from left knee removed.  Orthopedist said that if it was her, she would have it done, so I did.  Have had 2nd thoughts about the surgery but it's too late now - I've moved on

5k to Marathon:
Took place over 4 years with many,many 5 and 10ks, and 4 half-marathons

Possible oly:
I do alternate 4 and 5 miles (one every week) - sometimes a 6, but not very often

Music:
Have you ever played in any groups/bands.  My husband plays in 2 community bands and organizes little groups of local musicians for various town festivities (he loves blues)

Discipline:
I have to work really hard for months to shave a few seconds off my mile pace - but it's so worth it (I know a lot of people think we're a little crazy, don't they)

Hope everyone had a nice weekend,
Denise
2009-12-27 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2579098

User image

Champion

GANG!

Plans changed! There was a massive ice storm this-a-way last night, and while all it did around us was cause literally hundreds of branches to fall from our taller trees (ones initially damaged in the mega ice storm of '98), it knocked out the power at Lynn's brother's wife's family's cottage. This is in a very rural area, and as there was no real hope that power would be restored in time to have a meal prepard for 13, the decision was made to have the nine of them (from two sides of Lynn's family) come here for the whole dinner deal. So, we spent a long while trying to figure out how to accommodate 13 of us in our bandbox of a house, and then cleaning said house. Mucho work, but it all succeeded and a good time was had by all. Folks are still here, but various splinter-groups have formed - cribbagers, Nintendoers, nappers, yakkers.....and me, cretinous waste product that I am, reacquainting myself with you all!

But, I guess I ought to return to be social, so I'm off ---- soon, anyhow!

2009-12-27 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2579319

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Honest, I had considered a mast, but was confused by what looked like drooping, or arced, lines/wires/cables --- I just wasn't sure. And with the ice storm here, I wondered also about a hydroelectric tower, with a platform, and wires that have collapsed under the weight of the ice. Shoulda stuck with my first guess!

2009-12-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2579102

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - OPEN

M -

"midlifeinsanity" -- I love it!!!

2009-12-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2579246

User image

Champion
DENISE -

Hmmm. I guess it was in my bio for my previous (but still operating group) that I mentioned the meniscus; I'll have to check there. For the record, it is still "available" by clicking "Mentor Program Archives", and then looking for stevebradley's Mentor Group. I tried not to do too many unnecessary repeats in the current bio, but I now have to check to see exactly what I wrote 49 weeks ago!

I'll be back in a while.

Edited by stevebradley 2009-12-27 7:20 PM
2009-12-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2579246

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

If it makes you feel any better being out 30% of the cartilage in that knee, for me it woul;d've been close to 50% if I had opted for surgery. had I heard 30%, I probaly would've done it!!

The build to Twin Cities was REALLY prudent Congrats on showing exemplary patience!

As for those run miles you're turning out nowadays, if you're doing them pain-free, then that's within easy spittin' distance of the 6.2 for an oly. You're in control of your own destiny about choosing the oly option, I think!

No bands or groups for me. I've played with others a few times, but only on harp (harmonica), never guiitar. Our existence out here in the boonies keeps me well away from training opartners and other musicians, so it's just, noodling around all on my own. But that's okay -- I'd hate to be a speed bump on the route of another musician's competent path!

2009-12-28 7:52 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

I managed to actually get on the trainer yesterday for an hour!   Pretty easy pedalling with not much resistance though.

I put a brief summary of my training volume/distances on today's log if that is something that will be of interest or help in your mentoring me.   The running is still below the minimum recommended for an oly but I hope to get the volume up this year. 

Thanks,

Anne
2009-12-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2579709

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Well done with the trainer ride! I won't be hitting mine ( or the rollers, or the CompuTrainer) until the kids clear out on Wednesday. And speaking of the CT, I still need to have Peter install in it our computer. We had an awful computer crash a couple of months ago and lost EVERYTHING, and CT has yet to be re-installed. I will bug him about it today.

Speaking of bugging, keep bugging me about checking your log. I'm not very good about that, largely because I don't use it myself. I am completely committed to my time-honored paper log, "the total triathlon almanac - 5", which works like a charm for me.

One of my other group, "Sax", was religious about using the log here at BT, and it never ceased to aggravate him that so many of us did not. I tried to get into the habit 2 or 3 times, but couldn't make it stick. Maybe I'll resolve to do better with it this year, and that might help me be more aware of any of you who are using it as well. But the best-laid plans of mice and men.......
2009-12-28 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good morning everyone!  Hope that each of you had a wonderful holiday weekend.

Finally caught up on all the posts.  Thanks to so many for so much information, and again thanks to Duwayne for the offer on the bike.  Too bad it won't work.  I have ordered a couple of the books from the library to get me started.  Arthur and Lisa, I suspect I may be the newest newbie here, having never entered a race of any kind in my life!  But Denise will be my inspiration as I am on the same track, started the C25K program a couple of months ago just before my 56th birthday and then decided to go for the tri.  Denise, I too know where Pine River is, grew up in the Duluth/Superior area and lived most of my adult life in the Twin Cities area.  Loved Christmas Eve as we had snow, sleet and near white out conditions here in North TX!  Felt like I was home in MN.

Managed to exercise to some extent every day except for one, and actually lost 3.5 pounds last week.  Would like to lose another ten for a racing weight but I assume that will come off when I pick up my training.

I spoke with my trainer on Wed and she isn't sure I can make the swimming with my shoulder issues.  She suggested I train for a few months and then make a decision on the tri.  But as she also noted, if my goal simply is to finish (which it is for the first one) there is nothing that says I have to swim it all freestyle which is the main challenge with my shoulder.  So for now I am still planning on my first for October.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your knowledge!  I have numerous lists/notes with your advice for the future.

2009-12-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2579733

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-23 7:32 PM
2009-12-28 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I have used the BT logs since starting tri training (2007) and love them.  Prior to this when I was purely a runner I used a written log and have them since 1998 when I did my first 10 minute run (and thought I would die!).

My house is finally empty, all the family are gone and I'm back to work for the final 4 days of the year.  December was a total write off for me for training but I spent a lot of time with family which was nice.

I hope to get back into a training routine this week, and find some time to participate here in the group as well.
2009-12-28 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2579733

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2009-12-28 9:07 AM ANNE - Well done with the trainer ride! I won't be hitting mine ( or the rollers, or the CompuTrainer) until the kids clear out on Wednesday. And speaking of the CT, I still need to have Peter install in it our computer. We had an awful computer crash a couple of months ago and lost EVERYTHING, and CT has yet to be re-installed. I will bug him about it today. ......

I know a few people who have computrainers and used one once at a local health and wellness centre, but hurt myself because I tried to keep up with all the guys!   I am SO pathetic.   Anyway, I know they cost ALOT of money but am wondering if it would be worth the investment for Ken (husband) and I.   The other reason we have resisted is because we are not really good with electronics - can hardly handle our DVD player. 

Is this something I should be putting on my next year's Christmas wish list? 

2009-12-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2577849

User image

stevebradley - 2009-12-25 7:15 PM LOGS........LOGS........LOGS No, sillies, not yuletide logs, but rather trianing logs! Who has one (or more?) in operation now? Who is planning to start one? Get thinking about this, and if it hasn't crossed your mind yet, now is a pretty good time. I'll mention more about this in the next few days (of course, 1-1-10 is a great time to start), so as long as we're all busily digesting our various comfort food, we might as well start digesting some good old food for thought, i.e., training logs! Yum, yum!

I have an Excel file I created that has a pretty detailed view of my training.  Each day, I have a workout planned (or rest day planned):  Goal time (duration), specifics of the workout (pace goal, zone goals, terrain, etc.), and then cells where I track actual time, distance, avg. HR, calories burned and general thoughts on the workout (good, bad, any pains/aches, etc.).  Can't quite bring myself to track calories consumed or what they are made up of.  It's pretty cool to be able to see the progression over time - to see what average distances I used to be covering and what I'm able to do now, etc.
2009-12-28 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2578208

User image

thall0672 - 2009-12-26 11:34 AM
SAquavia - 2009-12-24 12:13 PM
thall0672 - 2009-12-24 7:09 AM How I would love to do this tri! http://www.escapetobermudatriathlon.com/Home_290.htm Maybe 2011....

right on.  My wife, Maggie, asked me last night as I was staring at the course map for May:  "Um, if you're going to race next year (2011), why not race somewhere cool?  I mean, St. George?  Really?"

Your references to St. George in your previous posts just dawned on me. Are you doing this race??

Yep!  That's my winter training goal.  We're something like 17 weeks out from race day - build is underway - anxiety is slowly growing.  LOL.

2009-12-28 11:28 AM

User image

What a GREAT weekend.  During the training cycle, I guess there are days/weeks where things seem to click back into order and you feel like your goals are achievable.  This was one of those weeks/weekends.

My good friend Jason (who I'll be "racing" St. George with in May) was in town, so we got together on Saturday morning for a long ride brick.  He'd never ridden PCH, so it was a real joy to get to see the ride I take for granted now through his eyes.  He spent the entire ride blown away by the views of the Pacific. 

Overall, it was a really good ride.  60 miles up the coast to Camarillo and then back down.  Some gentle rollers and flats.  As I do almost all of my training alone, it was a great learning process for me.  Found out I prefer to ride/run in front.  When I'm in front, I tend to hammer and challenge myself.  When I'm chasing, I tend to find my energy levels are lower and riding/running is more of a grinding experience.  Which was great because Jason said he's the opposite.  If in front, he tends to settle into a comfort zone and stay there, so it was a good challenge for both of us.

Anyway, the ride was good.  Built some confidence that my base might not be quite as far behind as I thought it was.  Legs still lack some strength/power - I wasn't as strong as I'd like to be on some of the hills, but I think another week or two of healthy training and that core strength will come back.  Overall, we averaged just under 20 mph - some headwinds heading into Camarillo slowed us down a bit, but it was good to have to grind out some 16-17 mph miles in those conditions. 

What was really encouraging was the run after.  We did a 10k immediately off the bike and I found myself running very comfortably.  Went out pretty easy, and then picked it up the last two miles or so on the way back.  After, the thighs were sore - they felt like they were going to explode in the car ride back, but a little more stretching at home and I was no worse for wear.  Plus I got to use my new Christmas gift - a Mojo ice pack for my left knee.  It's a thing of beauty!

Until now, the bricks have been small, 15-30 minute runs after an hour or so on the trainer, so it was good to get in a longer brick off a longer ride and not have any real challenges with it.  Now I'm just praying for next weekend to get out there on the road again - until then, its the trainer in the cold garage. 

2009-12-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2578262

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
LadyNorth - 2009-12-26 3:06 PM
May 23 - Land Between the Lakes, Albert Lea, MN (will need a wetsuit - never swum in one)
Denise

Hey Denise, I plan to do this race also. It would be fun to have a chance to meet one of the GrooveTime! BTers at a race. I did the race last year, and yes, you'll want a wetsuit, though there was one brave soul who didn't wear one last year. I have found swimming in a wetsuit easier than without since the wetsuit provides some buoyancy. It feels like I don't have to worry about floating, just moving forward. It was a fun, well organized race.
Mark
2009-12-28 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
I plan to use the BT logs. I've tried a couple others and have found BTs to be the most user-friendly.
Mark
2009-12-28 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi all,

Diane - Small world again - we lived in the Twin Cities (actually Roseville) before we moved up here.  That C25K program is great - got even me started.  I've only done 2 tris, but I've seen a lot of different swim strokes.  In my 1st tri, a woman from the wave behind me (started 3 minutes later), passed me doing the backstroke.

Mark - Small world again - we should be able to find each other pretty easily at that tri - looks like only about a hundred.  I'm excited about trying a wetsuit - although any time I save will probably be lost trying to get the thing off.

Denise
2009-12-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2580123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2009-12-28 11:59 AM

thall0672 - 2009-12-26 11:34 AM
SAquavia - 2009-12-24 12:13 PM
thall0672 - 2009-12-24 7:09 AM How I would love to do this tri! http://www.escapetobermudatriathlon.com/Home_290.htm Maybe 2011....

right on.  My wife, Maggie, asked me last night as I was staring at the course map for May:  "Um, if you're going to race next year (2011), why not race somewhere cool?  I mean, St. George?  Really?"

Your references to St. George in your previous posts just dawned on me. Are you doing this race??

Yep!  That's my winter training goal.  We're something like 17 weeks out from race day - build is underway - anxiety is slowly growing.  LOL.

That's awesome! What a beautiful course that must be.

2009-12-28 6:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
That's crazy that two of us know of Pine River!  Maybe we'll have to have a reunion up there at some point!

When I started this in 2007, I used the BT logs and also logged my training in Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Diary.  Last year, I just logged on BT and missed having a paper copy to refer back to.  For Christmas, I asked for (and received) a training diary, so I'll be logging again on BT and on paper.
2009-12-28 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Hey Groovey guys and gals.  I'm leaving for warmer climates early tomorrow morning and I'm not back until Jan 11.  I've been told that I'm not allowed to take my computer with me on the trip .  Hopefully I can sneak some time in the internet cafe and check in on everyone. 

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!  I'm looking forward to 2010 and all the great accomplishments that the year is going bring for all of us.  I'm happy to be sharing the journey with this great group.

Dee

2009-12-28 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2580919

Master
Kitchener
lufferly - 2009-12-28 7:45 PM That's crazy that two of us know of Pine River!  Maybe we'll have to have a reunion up there at some point!

When I started this in 2007, I used the BT logs and also logged my training in Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Diary.  Last year, I just logged on BT and missed having a paper copy to refer back to.  For Christmas, I asked for (and received) a training diary, so I'll be logging again on BT and on paper.

I like to have a paper copy to refer back to as well, so started printing my BT logs at the end of every week and keep in a binder.   Takes a bit of paper, but not too bad, and is quick enough if you print in fast draft mode.   I print the graphs as well and both have been useful when working with a new coach.  
2009-12-29 6:26 AM

Steve - I've just added you as a friend so you can see my log. Hope it works. For the moment it's quite dull as I'm sticking religiously to aerobic-only training. I'm planning to start pacing/interval sometime in february or march.Hope everyone's doing good. I had a very relaxed week until sunday, when I started a new 3 week training block. Also have just received a new pair of shoes, Progrid Jazz 12 from Saucony, looking forward to breaking them in as I've never run in shoes from that brand before. My other pair are Asics DS Trainer 15. Love them!Arthur
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276