BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-05-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
Brian, glad to have you back.  We've been missing you.  Sounds like you did a good job of not overeating or going crazy on your vaca.  And god, isn't beer just so amazing. 

I've been trying hard to stay away from it since I've been taking my weight loss seriously.  But this past Sunday I downed 5 beers and probably could have had 10 more.  And another part of the problem is that living in the Pac-NW means that there are awesome brewery's everywhere.  And they don't brew no light crap.  Its IPAs and dark beers, which I'm sure has more calories.  But I've been trying to just drink from time to time and on weekends only.  I've only drank that one time in the past two weeks.  Even when watching my Suns on TV!

2010-05-06 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Welcome back Brian
Sorry to hear about the patellar tendon stuff.  Been there done that.  Plenty of ice, massage, elevation and time is the only thing I know that helps.

I'd like the groups opionion on something.  I have a sprint tri May 16th.  Then I am going into the BT 8 week training program for my July 18th Oly.

I really wanted to try a HIM this year and there is one the first weekend of our vacation that I could do in Augusta, Ga on the way to Hilton Head.  After the July 18th Oly I can go into a 12 week Oly to Him program (less the first two weeks, I only have 10 weeks after the July Oly).  I have been toiling over it but would love the experience and the 70.3 sticker on my truck.  I have had a few people say to wait until next year to let my body get used to the endurance training, etc.  On the other hand it would be a great accomplishment just to finish it regardless of time.  Just wanted ot get the groups thoughts on this.

I will have completed 4 sprints, 1 - 2 olys before the HIM.

Thanks and I hope Everyone is Well
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2010-05-07 6:13 AM
2010-05-07 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2842787

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-05-06 11:10 PM Welcome back Brian
Sorry to hear about the patellar tendon stuff.  Been there done that.  Plenty of ice, massage, elevation and time is the only thing I know that helps.

I'd like the groups opionion on something.  I have a sprint tri May 16th.  Then I am going into the BT 8 week training program for my July 18th Oly.

I really wanted to try a HIM this year and there is one the first weekend of our vacation that I could do in Augusta, Ga on the way to Hilton Head.  After the July 18th Oly I can go into a 12 week Oly to Him program (less the first two weeks, I only have 10 weeks after the July Oly).  I have been toiling over it but would love the experience and the 70.3 sticker on my truck.  I have had a few people say to wait until next year to let my body get used to the endurance training, etc.  On the other hand it would be a great accomplishment just to finish it regardless of time.  Just wanted ot get the groups thoughts on this.

I will have completed 4 sprints, 1 - 2 olys before the HIM.

Thanks and I hope Everyone is Well
Tom

Tom, I think if you lay out a logical and achievable training plan that you can follow without stressing the body, and you are not increasing volume too drastically you should be in good shape to do a HIM.  Just don't rush things and train smart.  It seems like you have considered all of the above.  Especially if your goal is just to finish, you should be ok. 

Funny you mention the sticker on the truck, that seems to be a large point of motivation for my HIM too! 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

-B
2010-05-07 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2842204

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-05-06 5:05 PM Brian, glad to have you back.  We've been missing you.  Sounds like you did a good job of not overeating or going crazy on your vaca.  And god, isn't beer just so amazing. 

I've been trying hard to stay away from it since I've been taking my weight loss seriously.  But this past Sunday I downed 5 beers and probably could have had 10 more.  And another part of the problem is that living in the Pac-NW means that there are awesome brewery's everywhere.  And they don't brew no light crap.  Its IPAs and dark beers, which I'm sure has more calories.  But I've been trying to just drink from time to time and on weekends only.  I've only drank that one time in the past two weeks.  Even when watching my Suns on TV!

I've spent some time in Eugene, Medford and Portland, as well as points north around Seattle, I know what you are talking about the beers up there!  Great stuff and a great part of the country to live!  Have you ever visited the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, CA?   Holy Beer Mecca!  It is amazing! 

Have a great weekend! 
2010-05-09 3:05 AM

Hi all,

I haven't been around too much this week, but I've read all posts and am caught up!

To all of you with injuries, HEALING THOUGHTS sent your way.  I hope all the owies are better soon.

I've been totally enamored with this log your food assignment since the Monday before last.  In 12 days of counting calories and being aware, I've lost 7.7 lbs!  Without ever feeling hungry or deprived, I've even managed to have my favorite little soft tacos once (I walked 2 miles to get them and then walked 2 miles back home, didn't log it tho, cuz I felt guilty logging walking to food lol), baja fresh one time, and even pizza once!  Just being smart about what goes in my mouth the majority of the time made it no biggie to have a "bad" meal here and there.  I did watch portions carefully when I had the "bad" meals, only a slice of pizza not the usual 3, etc, but I found that just having some was enough instead of feeling like I could never get it again so binge, binge, binge.  This is the best experiment ever so far!

I've been swimming alot and doing the elliptical a couple of times and kinda slacking on the bike and run because I managed to trip going up the stairs and I tweaked my left knee a little.  It swelled up for a day or so and was sore so I've been kinda babying it, but it feels pretty good now, so next week, I'll hopefully be back on schedule. 

Take care,
Ronda
2010-05-09 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2846639

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Swimfreak17 - 2010-05-09 4:05 AM Hi all,

I haven't been around too much this week, but I've read all posts and am caught up!

To all of you with injuries, HEALING THOUGHTS sent your way.  I hope all the owies are better soon.

I've been totally enamored with this log your food assignment since the Monday before last.  In 12 days of counting calories and being aware, I've lost 7.7 lbs!  Without ever feeling hungry or deprived, I've even managed to have my favorite little soft tacos once (I walked 2 miles to get them and then walked 2 miles back home, didn't log it tho, cuz I felt guilty logging walking to food lol), baja fresh one time, and even pizza once!  Just being smart about what goes in my mouth the majority of the time made it no biggie to have a "bad" meal here and there.  I did watch portions carefully when I had the "bad" meals, only a slice of pizza not the usual 3, etc, but I found that just having some was enough instead of feeling like I could never get it again so binge, binge, binge.  This is the best experiment ever so far!

I've been swimming alot and doing the elliptical a couple of times and kinda slacking on the bike and run because I managed to trip going up the stairs and I tweaked my left knee a little.  It swelled up for a day or so and was sore so I've been kinda babying it, but it feels pretty good now, so next week, I'll hopefully be back on schedule. 

Take care,
Ronda

that's it, just a big

2010-05-10 4:10 PM

Veteran
hey everyone, glad to catch up and see everybody is hitting their targets.  Great job!!

hit a bit of a rough slump after my race, and was travelling last week.  I am now back and feel great.   I signed up for another race on June 20th and re-shuffled my schedule to try to get up in the mornings and do my training

Had my first 25 mile ride on saturday, did well, felt good afterwards.  I ended up sleeping like a baby that night
2010-05-10 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Hey everyone.  I've been lurking lately.  I've been keeping up reading, but didn't feel like I had much to report to anyone... at least, nothing interesting.  On the good news front, not saying anything to my dh (that's "dear husband") about the tri I want him to do seems to be doing the trick.  He bought a road bike on craigslist and keeps talking about how far the swim is...  swimming is not his forte; he'll succeed, it's just his weakest link...  so that's good... I'll keep you all posted

For my training, I have been using an 8 week olympic plan for a sprint in June and then I'll repeat it for my olympic in August.  I love the fact that I can follow something, but I don't feel tired/exhausted/ worn down and that worries me.  You can go to my training plans and see what I've done (granted I'm only on week 2).  I swim 2x/week, go to spin class 1x, "long" bike 1x, and run 2x per week.  All of this only takes about 1 hour per day.  For the experienced tri folk- should i be worried?  THis doesn't seem like enough to me...  maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment...

FYI- I'm following the Ironman "Starting Out" Triathlon book 8 week oly program.
2010-05-11 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Hey guys, sorry I've been a little MIA the past few weeks.  After I got back from Vaca $hit hit the fan at work, so my BT time took a hit. 

I'm feeling like I am slacking a bit in my workouts, so I was wondering if you would all like to participate in a little excercise to help me, and you guys too, stay motivated and push ourselves to get through the grueling workout week?  

It is quite simple actually, on Mondays we pledge an amount of time we plan to train that week. and at the end of the week we report how we did, how we feel, if we missed the mark what we can do better next week to ensure we are getting the necessary training in for the week. 

It seems like some of us, me included, have big races coming up, or considering and are concerned about training and putting in the time.  Maybe this can help keep us on the path to success without burning out.  I find when you put things in writing, or make a pledge, it helps me put in those few extra laps/miles/minutes. 

What do you think? 

My goal is 7hours this week.  I had to take an unexpected day off yesterday so getting the rest in will be tough, but I plan on making it happen, no matter how many 4:45AM wake up calls are necessary!

-Brian
2010-05-11 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
My goal for the week is 7.5 hours for swim/bike/run total.  I'll likely do more time with sports and lifting.  Its the second longest week of my entire training plan.  I know that I'm down 11 minutes because my alarm didn't go off this morning and by the time I woke up I was 25 minutes behind schedule.  I was still able to get in almost my entire workout and just barely made it to work on time.

Its crazy that my big race is rapidly approaching.  I've still been shedding the lbs and feel so much better fitness-wise.  When I started this I could barely run 1 mile without stopping and yesterday I hammered out 7 miles and felt like I could have kept going! 

Good luck reaching your goals this week everybody!

Edited by n.k 2010-05-11 12:51 PM
2010-05-11 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I am in Brian
6 hours by end of Saturday.

2010-05-11 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2850112

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hi Robin
I am using the Oly 8 week (really 9) balanced lifestyle plan off BT.  I will let you know how it works out.  It will take me right up to the Columbus Int'l Tri on July 18th.  This is my first week.  I am adding an extra week that we will be on vacation.  If I decide to do the HIM in Augusta I may not do Cleveland due to the training and advice I was given by the coached on here but I will let you know.  I am going to get a swim coach for several lessons though.  If you get up this way and are going to train with the wetsuit let me know.  Maybe we can train with them.  I am sure Kelly and Jake would come just to have a good laugh at me.  I am going to get the Volt sleeveless.  Have you tried it yet?
Tom 
2010-05-11 3:00 PM

Veteran
I am in!  My goal is 8.0 hours for swim/bike/run total.  This is the highest volume so far this year and have set out to make it.  I also suffer from slacking if I do not have a clear written goal in front of me and track against it.  I am realying on you all to hold me accountable!

I will also throw in the need to start losing 1.5-2.0 lbs/week.  I stopped logging the food and hit a slump

Robin, I am now doing a sprint training that's supposed to get me faster.  The previous one felt like I was not doing enough until I really did it by the book.  The only thing I can comment is no junk miles!  I learned that last year while training for my half marathon.  I was only running 3x/week, but each workout had it's purpose and did much better that time.  I suggest you stick to it for a couple more weeks and test yourself every so often, if your schedule allows it and you want to amp it up by that time, then you can probably incorporate another session during the week, and so on.

2010-05-11 3:38 PM

I'm in too!!  I count my weeks Sunday - Saturday, so I'm already at day 3, yikes!

5 hours in the pool    (1 hr done )
2 hours walk/jogging  (1/2 hr done )
1 hour biking
________
8 hrs total tri stuff

2.5 hours taekwondo
2.5 hours elliptical   (40 minutes done)
0.5 hours strength training
3 hours riding my horse  (45 minutes done)
_________
8.5 hours "other" activities

I'm in for 16.5 hours this week.  <----  Although looking at that big of a number is scary!

Time to stop reading and get moving!
Ronda

Edited by Swimfreak17 2010-05-11 3:38 PM
2010-05-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2852202

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Swimfreak17 - 2010-05-11 4:38 PM I'm in too!!  I count my weeks Sunday - Saturday, so I'm already at day 3, yikes!

5 hours in the pool    (1 hr done )
2 hours walk/jogging  (1/2 hr done )
1 hour biking
________
8 hrs total tri stuff

2.5 hours taekwondo
2.5 hours elliptical   (40 minutes done)
0.5 hours strength training
3 hours riding my horse  (45 minutes done)
_________
8.5 hours "other" activities

I'm in for 16.5 hours this week.  <----  Although looking at that big of a number is scary!

Time to stop reading and get moving!
Ronda

Ronda, That is quite an undertaking!  I guess we won't hear from you for a while?  Maybe you can bring a laptop on the horse rides? 
2010-05-11 5:01 PM

Yeah my schedule is kinda whacky Brian, but the other stuff to fit in won't be so bad.  The tkd is just two classes and I have to ride anyways so not too bad.  I just knocked out another 42 minutes on the elliptical and am prolly headed off to the pool for a relaxing, stretchy sort of swim in about 10 minutes.  The hard stuff to fit in is the biking and running.  Mostly because I don't like to do them so I'm less willing to move stuff around to fit them in.  Bad me, I know.  The worst part of swimming is the driving to and from, I don't mind the actual swimming.  In fact, my secret goal is to swim 16,500meters (10 miles).  Last week I did 12,000m but ran out of days (I know its recorded as yards in my training log but I really swim in a 25 m pool, I just don't like how the training log will convert it to yards and then it has those "uneven" numbers so I just log it as yards).

So, time to go swim I guess.  Besides, I'm still loving how well the logging nutrition challenge is going so hopefully this is just as productive.

Ronda

2010-05-11 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm not sure what my numbers are going to be this week...I've been pretty down the past couple of days!  A few weeks ago, my leg started bothering me and it has continued to get worse...now it hurts to walk much less run.  I'm pretty sure I have a stress fracture.  So, this means I'm going to have to take some time off running and ramp up my biking/swimming time.  I'm just so frustrated with it that I don't want to do anything!
2010-05-11 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2852461

Thats too bad Crissy....hope you heal fast.

How's the swimming coming along?

Ronda
2010-05-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2852461

User image

Expert
NW NJ
crisi13 - 2010-05-11 6:20 PM I'm not sure what my numbers are going to be this week...I've been pretty down the past couple of days!  A few weeks ago, my leg started bothering me and it has continued to get worse...now it hurts to walk much less run.  I'm pretty sure I have a stress fracture.  So, this means I'm going to have to take some time off running and ramp up my biking/swimming time.  I'm just so frustrated with it that I don't want to do anything!

Sorry to hear that Chrissy,  you are wise to rest it and heal up.  I have not been taking my own advice and need to rest my knee as well.  I know it is extremely frustrating! 

My Patellar Tendon felt ok last weekend so the genious that I am went for a long run and bike ride and now it is killing me again this week. So what did I do this morning after it being in extreme pain last night, got on the bike for an hour. I'm an idiot and need to rest if If I have any chance of racing next weekend.  I am canceling my runs today and tomorrow and will play it by ear after that.  I can be so GD stubborn sometimes and let my training logs and volume charts run my life. 

Please feel free to call me out and re-confirm that I need to rest, otherwise the devil on my left shoulder will take over and make stupid decisions for me.

So I am adjusting my weekly pledge to reflect what it should be with an injury, Actually I am making a reverse pledge and will limit my training to no more than 5hrs.   ? 
2010-05-13 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Morning team!  What is on today's menu? 

Swam 2400 this morning and I actually called my Dr. and am going to see him at lunch about my knee. 

I'm conceding the fact that next week will not be a "race" for me.  They do not do deferrals, so at the minimum, I will do the swim, ride the bike course at my pace and take a DNF if needed, there is no way I can run at this point.  

Preparing yourself for a DNF SUCKS!   
2010-05-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2855811

User image

Expert
C-bus
mchubri` - 2010-05-13 9:38 AM Morning team!  What is on today's menu? 

Swam 2400 this morning and I actually called my Dr. and am going to see him at lunch about my knee. 

I'm conceding the fact that next week will not be a "race" for me.  They do not do deferrals, so at the minimum, I will do the swim, ride the bike course at my pace and take a DNF if needed, there is no way I can run at this point.  

I hurt for you.  Going into the race knowing you won't run has got to be extremely hard.  However, you can show off your toughness by still showing up and doing what you can-IMO, that's exemplifies more mental toughness than completing an entire race.  Kudos to you for sticking it out! 

I'm glad you're going to see your doc.  Sometimes the hardest part is just making the phone call to go in.  Hoping he tells you good news!

Rest up!

2010-05-13 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2855811

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-05-13 6:38 AM Morning team!  What is on today's menu? 

I'm glad you're going to see the doc today but I'm sad for you that you wont be able to race like normal!  Is there a team option?  If so, maybe the race director will let you turn your entry into a team and you can find a buddy or something to run for you.

I've a had a few things come up with my family that caused me to rearrange my normal workouts.  And its actually turned out for the better.  I was ahead of schedule with my trainings because yesterday I swam in the AM and then my wife wanted to go to the gym in the afternoon.  So I ran pushing my son the jogger yesterday afternoon instead of doing it as planned this morning. 

That left me with an open morning this today, so instead of sleeping in (which I pretty much can't do now that I'm used to waking up at 5) I got in an extra workout.  I wanted to do a mini-brick to keep practicing coming of the bike and going into the run; so I did 16 mins on the spin bike and the a 5K immediately on the dreadmill.  Felt great about my 5K time at 27:54!  Then did a few sets up chest and triceps strength training.
2010-05-13 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2856500

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-05-13 12:33 PM
mchubri` - 2010-05-13 6:38 AM Morning team!  What is on today's menu? 

I'm glad you're going to see the doc today but I'm sad for you that you wont be able to race like normal!  Is there a team option?  If so, maybe the race director will let you turn your entry into a team and you can find a buddy or something to run for you.

I've a had a few things come up with my family that caused me to rearrange my normal workouts.  And its actually turned out for the better.  I was ahead of schedule with my trainings because yesterday I swam in the AM and then my wife wanted to go to the gym in the afternoon.  So I ran pushing my son the jogger yesterday afternoon instead of doing it as planned this morning. 

That left me with an open morning this today, so instead of sleeping in (which I pretty much can't do now that I'm used to waking up at 5) I got in an extra workout.  I wanted to do a mini-brick to keep practicing coming of the bike and going into the run; so I did 16 mins on the spin bike and the a 5K immediately on the dreadmill.  Felt great about my 5K time at 27:54!  Then did a few sets up chest and triceps strength training.

Noel, seriously... YOU ARE ON FIRE!  Keep it up!

Didn't think about turning it into a relay thing, hmmmm....  I will have to hit up the RD!
2010-05-13 11:27 PM

I think I'm gonna make my swim goal!!!  I'm currently at 14,000m for the week and I have 2 days to go!!!  I'm going to swim 10 miles!  Which, pathetically, is way farther than I can run in week or bike in a single session.  Baby steps I guess.  Now I just need to get my swim times to improve, I feel pretty slow, I have to remind myself that the speed will come back eventually.

Brian, sucks about your race, Nole had a great idea about a team relay, hope that's possible for you...otherwise just look at it as an ows/bike brick training thing.  Positive thoughts for your dr's appt.

Keep up the great work everybody!

Ronda
2010-05-14 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Hope all is well with everyone. Wish me luck.  I have a Tri sprint this weekend.  I am excited as it is my first outdoor bike for the sprint.  I did learn a great lesson this week.  NEVER GIVE BLOOD AT 5PM WEDNESDAY AND SWIM 1600 YARDS AND BIKE 20 MILES ON THURSDAY.  IT DOES NOT WORK!  Take Care All. 
Tom

500 yd swim

14.5 bike

3.1 run

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27