BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-05-05 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2838712

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
cspreiter - 2010-05-05 12:54 PM

I've seen a lot of people on BT talk about Total Immersion swim books/DVDs.  Anyone here use it? And if so is it any good or not worth the price?

Caleb -

I used the TI Book and DVD a few years ago to work on my freestyle stroke. I did have a little bit of swimming background, but it had been many, many years since I had done any swimming, and my stroke was in pretty sorry shape. I think TI is a good program for adult swimmers with little swimming background. The benefit for me was helping me get closer to having a balanced position in the water, which makes swimming soooo much easier and more efficient. I wouldn't necessarily say it made me a FAST swimmer, but it made me more efficient and comfortable in the water. Once that happened, I did some other work on my stroke to improve my speed. Not that I'm particularly fast... but I'm fast enough to be pretty satisfied with my swim pace for most of my tris (usually a little faster than middle of the pack).

For me, having both the book & dvd was helpful. I had a hard time visualizing some of the drills from their description in the book, but the DVD shows pretty clearly how to use them. If you're interested in the TI materials, you might try posting a "Want to Buy" listing in the Classified forum. Maybe someone has a set they're done with. Unfortunately I sold mine a few years ago, or I would have offered it to you!

2010-05-06 6:12 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Good morning, all! I hope you're all having a good week!

I have been making some good progress with my MULCHING this week, so I'm happy about that

I managed to squeeze in a short run and swim yesterday, and short bike early this morning.

Today is one of the big class trip's for my daughter's 5th grade class. 5th grade is the last year in our elementary school, and from this point on in the school year, it's one special event or trip after another for them. Later this morning, the whole 5th grade will board a SEPTA (local commuter rail) train and head into Philadelphia for the day to visit some of the historic sites. I'll be joining them. Should be fun!!
2010-05-06 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2838712

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
cspreiter - 2010-05-05 12:54 PM I've seen a lot of people on BT talk about Total Immersion swim books/DVDs.  Anyone here use it? And if so is it any good or not worth the price?

TI is the reason I contemplated tris on the first place. Like Jenny, I did some swimming and surfing in high school, but not much since. I had tried some laps recently but was extremely inefficient. A friend told me about Ti and I borrowed his book.  Within a week my stroke was much more efficient and was able to swim longer distances without getting that tired. I don't know how I look compared to what they preach, but I certainly feel like I have benefited tremendously. My times while training seem decent. I guess this will be tested in a couple of weeks.

2010-05-06 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Just came back from jog with my wife. Much better HR. Perfect weather, felt great!
2010-05-06 10:21 PM

User image

I was supposed to do a short run and a long swim tonight. Forgot my towel so decided to do a run then ride the bike for a while--trying a little "brick". So I ran 2 miles (about 23 min) then got on the bike for 23 min. My legs felt like LEAD! I really struggled on the bike and was very slow. Any suggestions? I'm not even at the brick workout stage in my training but I will be in a week or so. I'm starting to get nervous about my tri in mid June.
2010-05-06 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
I chose the Beginner HIM 20 week plan from the free section on this site. I am iffy on how it fits for my sprints. I know overtraining is a big no no. The sprints did not fit my level though ( I felt). Check it out please, then some feedback. Thanks.

Went on another run today. It felt pretty good after my half mary. Surprising. Also, I am thinking of getting the Vibram Five fingers for work since I walk all day. I walked all day today in just shoe covers and my back straigtened right up. It felt good.

2010-05-07 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2842797

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-05-06 11:21 PM

I was supposed to do a short run and a long swim tonight. Forgot my towel so decided to do a run then ride the bike for a while--trying a little "brick". So I ran 2 miles (about 23 min) then got on the bike for 23 min. My legs felt like LEAD! I really struggled on the bike and was very slow. Any suggestions? I'm not even at the brick workout stage in my training but I will be in a week or so. I'm starting to get nervous about my tri in mid June.

Keiren,

I forget, are you following a specific training plan?

As for bricks.... the general consensus is that there really isn't a need to do a lot of bricks in training. Longer bricks can be pretty hard on the body, and can cost too much in recovery time. And most agree that in the long run don't benefit you as much as solid single sport training. That said, as a new triathlete, I do think it's a good idea to do SOME brick workouts, just so you adapt somewhat to the feeling of running off the bike. You can work on that by adding some very short runs after biking.

It DOES take some time to adapt to it.... My entire first season, every time I got off the bike and started running, it felt like I was dragging two tree trunks, and I would think, "Why the heck am I doing this, again????" But it does get easier.....

So, my suggestion for you would be every few weeks to add in a SHORT brick workout. You can keep your bike distance the same as you would normally ride, but add a very short, easy run afterward - maybe 10 or 15 minutes of easy jogging. That allows you to get the feeling of running off the bike without beating yourself up too much.

2010-05-07 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2842842

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-05-07 12:02 AM

I chose the Beginner HIM 20 week plan from the free section on this site. I am iffy on how it fits for my sprints. I know overtraining is a big no no. The sprints did not fit my level though ( I felt). Check it out please, then some feedback. Thanks.

Went on another run today. It felt pretty good after my half mary. Surprising. Also, I am thinking of getting the Vibram Five fingers for work since I walk all day. I walked all day today in just shoe covers and my back straigtened right up. It felt good.

Jeff -

If you can handle the volume of the training plan, then it is not overtraining. Overtraining means you're taking on more training stress (either too much volume, frequency, or intensity) than your body can handle. If you can handle it, some over-distance training will definitely benefit you in your sprint tri. I think you will find that the best Sprint and Olympic distance triathletes are putting in A LOT more training than you will find in any of the Sprint or Olympic training plans you'll find here.....

My only issue with using the HIM training plan is that it's really preparing you to race at a different intensity than you might want for a Sprint distance race. HIM racing is done mainly in Zone 2/3. Assuming you want to do the best you can in your sprint, since it is a much shorter race, you would proabably want to be racing in a higher zone than that.

Based on your logs, I'm sure you can handle higher training volume than the free Sprint and Olympic distance plans here on BT. You might consider doing something like this.... Choose a higher volume intermediate or advanced 5K or 10K run training plan that has you running 4 or 5 days per week (there are about a bazillion to choose from on the web....). These plans will have you doing long runs in the range of 7 - 10 miles, but will also include some speedwork. Add to that a cycling plan that works on improving your speed/power on the bike. There's a coach here on BT who put together a solid bike training program that has you biking 2 or 3 days per week, including logs of interval and tempo work. Here's a link to that plan: http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html. Add to that the swim training from one of the Olympic distance plans here on BT, and I think you will have a solid training plan for a great sprint race in August. You might need to adjust the length, frequency, or intensity of some of the training to allow for adequate recovery.

If all of that is too much trouble, then the HIM plan will certainly have you plenty well prepared for your sprint in August. You could shorten some of the longer training sessions and add in some speedwork about 2 months out from your race, and you'll do fine.
2010-05-07 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2842956

User image

jsnowash - 2010-05-07 6:54 AM
Keiren - 2010-05-06 11:21 PM I was supposed to do a short run and a long swim tonight. Forgot my towel so decided to do a run then ride the bike for a while--trying a little "brick". So I ran 2 miles (about 23 min) then got on the bike for 23 min. My legs felt like LEAD! I really struggled on the bike and was very slow. Any suggestions? I'm not even at the brick workout stage in my training but I will be in a week or so. I'm starting to get nervous about my tri in mid June.
Keiren, I forget, are you following a specific training plan? As for bricks.... the general consensus is that there really isn't a need to do a lot of bricks in training. Longer bricks can be pretty hard on the body, and can cost too much in recovery time. And most agree that in the long run don't benefit you as much as solid single sport training. That said, as a new triathlete, I do think it's a good idea to do SOME brick workouts, just so you adapt somewhat to the feeling of running off the bike. You can work on that by adding some very short runs after biking. It DOES take some time to adapt to it.... My entire first season, every time I got off the bike and started running, it felt like I was dragging two tree trunks, and I would think, "Why the heck am I doing this, again????" But it does get easier..... So, my suggestion for you would be every few weeks to add in a SHORT brick workout. You can keep your bike distance the same as you would normally ride, but add a very short, easy run afterward - maybe 10 or 15 minutes of easy jogging. That allows you to get the feeling of running off the bike without beating yourself up too much.

Hi Jenny,
Yes I am following the 20 x 2 week sprint tri plan. I am scheduled for brick workouts soon I just thought I would try it last night since my swim plans were thwarted by no towel. I can swim 500m with little problem, I'm ok with the bike (not very fast yet) and getting better with run. I was just amazed at the heaviness in my legs. Will keep trying it in little chunks though!
2010-05-07 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
It's THAT TIME again!!! Time to wish GOOD LUCK to those racing this weekend!

Looks like we have Marla, Caleb & Jessie all running 5K races on Saturday. Did I miss anyone?

Make your you stop by their training logs and wish them well!

2010-05-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2843815

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
jsnowash - 2010-05-07 9:53 AM It's THAT TIME again!!! Time to wish GOOD LUCK to those racing this weekend! Looks like we have Marla, Caleb & Jessie all running 5K races on Saturday. Did I miss anyone? Make your you stop by their training logs and wish them well!

Count me out :(  Race was cancelled for lack of participants (which I'm sure the weather has something to do with) but I got a credit for next years race.  Going camping with the family this weekend, well sort of, just setting up our lake lot for summer really.  I've been having severe lack of motivation to train lately - though I do contemplate it every time I sit my butt on the couch with a bag of chips (*crunch crunch*...k, just one more chip then I'm getting on the bike...*crunch crunch crunch*...k, for real this time, last one...*crunch...)  UGH!!!  I feel so lazy, tired, knee hurts blah blah blah (k, done the pitty party), tomorrow morning, I'm getting up and Running - no-matter-what!!!  This laziness has got to end.  Anway, less about me more about you guys lol.

Good Luck to Everyone running this weekend!!!!!  I hope you all have a great time out there!

cspreiter - About TI, I watched as many free videos as I could (youtube is great for that), read lots of free articles and just combined what I figured out about it and tried it out.  One HUGE thing I noticed was that I went from gasping for air after 25-50m to feeling like I could go and go and go.  Of course it takes time, but it made swimming enjoyable, and it made a difference for me immediately which made me want to goto the pool to swim more.  After I stopped kicking furiously and stopped trying to be fast and instead concentrated on being smooth, calm and "quiet" (which isn't only what TI is about) I found that swimming took less energy and I could go farther - my swimming speed isn't so good but at least I know in my mind that I can keep going and that alone means a lot.  I definitely suggest ppl try TI if they haven't before, it may work, it may not, but it's worth a try. 

Anyway, I'm at work right now, so I better actually do some work.  Once again --- Good Luck to all athletes this weekend!!

Edited by tryin2tri 2010-05-07 2:31 PM

2010-05-07 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2843815

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-05-07 11:53 AM It's THAT TIME again!!! Time to wish GOOD LUCK to those racing this weekend! Looks like we have Marla, Caleb & Jessie all running 5K races on Saturday. Did I miss anyone? Make your you stop by their training logs and wish them well!

Good luck runners!! Wink 
2010-05-07 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2844448

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
tryin2tri - 2010-05-07 3:29 PM
jsnowash - 2010-05-07 9:53 AM It's THAT TIME again!!! Time to wish GOOD LUCK to those racing this weekend! Looks like we have Marla, Caleb & Jessie all running 5K races on Saturday. Did I miss anyone? Make your you stop by their training logs and wish them well!

Count me out   Race was cancelled for lack of participants (which I'm sure the weather has something to do with) but I got a credit for next years race.  Going camping with the family this weekend, well sort of, just setting up our lake lot for summer really.  I've been having severe lack of motivation to train lately - though I do contemplate it every time I sit my butt on the couch with a bag of chips (*crunch crunch*...k, just one more chip then I'm getting on the bike...*crunch crunch crunch*...k, for real this time, last one...*crunch...)  UGH!!!  I feel so lazy, tired, knee hurts blah blah blah (k, done the pitty party), tomorrow morning, I'm getting up and Running - no-matter-what!!!  This laziness has got to end.  Anway, less about me more about you guys lol.

Good Luck to Everyone running this weekend!!!!!  I hope you all have a great time out there!

cspreiter - About TI, I watched as many free videos as I could (youtube is great for that), read lots of free articles and just combined what I figured out about it and tried it out.  One HUGE thing I noticed was that I went from gasping for air after 25-50m to feeling like I could go and go and go.  Of course it takes time, but it made swimming enjoyable, and it made a difference for me immediately which made me want to goto the pool to swim more.  After I stopped kicking furiously and stopped trying to be fast and instead concentrated on being smooth, calm and "quiet" (which isn't only what TI is about) I found that swimming took less energy and I could go farther - my swimming speed isn't so good but at least I know in my mind that I can keep going and that alone means a lot.  I definitely suggest ppl try TI if they haven't before, it may work, it may not, but it's worth a try. 

Anyway, I'm at work right now, so I better actually do some work.  Once again --- Good Luck to all athletes this weekend!!

With that kind of weather you showed us on the pictures I would have jumped of the roof of a building. I'm pretty sensitive to winter blues...I don't know how you survive. Once you see a couple of warm days in a row, your spark will come back. 
2010-05-07 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
PS: Did the Gretna course today again. Less windy. Similar time but felt better. Hills are still impressive. Did a brick with a little jog. My legs moved, but it felt more like a dream. Brain-legs connection was non existent  Tongue out
2010-05-08 8:24 AM

User image

Good luck to Marla, Caleb and Jessie on your runs. Let us know how everything goes. Still can't figure out how to post on your training logs!
2010-05-08 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
First OWS today! Everything went great. Wet suit fit and worked perfectly. Water was kinda cold but not bad at all. Extremely windy which made it super choppy and hard on the way back....but thanks to that we had a great workout, and also practiced avoiding swallowing water and keeping sense of direction. This was a big hurdle for me to overcome, and I feel much better now Laughing.

2010-05-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2846104

User image

Hi Fernando,
Where did you do your OWS? We have one on Thursdays in Lake Wenonah. The wetsuit I am ordering has no sleeves and I am a complete wimp in the cold. Will I be ok? What would you estimate the water temp to be? Thanks for any info! 
2010-05-08 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Does anyone know what more do you get as a bronze member versus just the free membership?
Under the bronze level, are the training plans in distance or is it still in time?

Lovey
2010-05-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2845701

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-05-09 6:24 AM Good luck to Marla, Caleb and Jessie on your runs. Let us know how everything goes. Still can't figure out how to post on your training logs!

Keiren: You go to the persons page. Then on each day there is a tool bar that says "Training - Nutrition-- blah, blah, blah...and on the far right it says Inspire Me. Click that to leave a message for them on a particular day.
2010-05-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2846104

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-05-09 1:45 PM First OWS today! Everything went great. Wet suit fit and worked perfectly. Water was kinda cold but not bad at all. Extremely windy which made it super choppy and hard on the way back....but thanks to that we had a great workout, and also practiced avoiding swallowing water and keeping sense of direction. This was a big hurdle for me to overcome, and I feel much better now Laughing.

When finding direction did you swim for a little while and then look forward once in awhile. Asking cuz when I look forward it seems that I slow down and my head comes out of the water too much. Any recommended dvd on bilateral breathing (remembering I am in a rural area and there are no coaches here).

Also, coolest tip ever on the 'Born to Run' recommendation. I am halfway through it. It is a great read. Everyone ....get it. Read it. Nuf said. But Fernando, thought I would impart this to ya. A lot of the people that McDougall writes about (Hal Koerner, Jenn Shelton, etc....) hang out at Koerners shoe store in Ashland, CA. Can't wait to meet them. Appearantly one of the guys that I work with knows some of them. Maybe I will get some cool tips when I go get my "five fingers". 
Yes Jenn I may actually be getting those wierd "shoes", if they can be called that. Ow! I think a bug bit me.  

Edited by StrayDog 2010-05-08 9:03 PM
2010-05-08 9:25 PM

OK another swim question. I too live in rural America where there are no coaches but I am thankful there's a pool. I know everyone says it takes time. It's been 2 months and I have improved. started at 25 yards and couldn't breathe. Now I'm swimming 100 yards with  breaks for my total of 400 yards (thats what my first sprint is) I did it today in 15 minutes. Ok now that you quit laughing. Has anyone ever stopped to rest in the actual event? or do I have to keep moving? Maybe by June 12th I won't need to worry about it but need to know just the same.
I know this is a mentor group but how many have done a sprint and what was your times?

2010-05-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2842980

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-05-08 4:18 AM
StrayDog - 2010-05-07 12:02 AM I chose the Beginner HIM 20 week plan from the free section on this site. I am iffy on how it fits for my sprints. I know overtraining is a big no no. The sprints did not fit my level though ( I felt). Check it out please, then some feedback. Thanks.

Jeff - If you can handle the volume of the training plan, then it is not overtraining. Overtraining means you're taking on more training stress (either too much volume, frequency, or intensity) than your body can handle. If you can handle it, some over-distance training will definitely benefit you in your sprint tri. I think you will find that the best Sprint and Olympic distance triathletes are putting in A LOT more training than you will find in any of the Sprint or Olympic training plans you'll find here..... My only issue with using the HIM training plan is that it's really preparing you to race at a different intensity than you might want for a Sprint distance race. HIM racing is done mainly in Zone 2/3. Assuming you want to do the best you can in your sprint, since it is a much shorter race, you would proabably want to be racing in a higher zone than that. Based on your logs, I'm sure you can handle higher training volume than the free Sprint and Olympic distance plans here on BT. You might consider doing something like this.... Choose a higher volume intermediate or advanced 5K or 10K run training plan that has you running 4 or 5 days per week (there are about a bazillion to choose from on the web....). These plans will have you doing long runs in the range of 7 - 10 miles, but will also include some speedwork. Add to that a cycling plan that works on improving your speed/power on the bike. There's a coach here on BT who put together a solid bike training program that has you biking 2 or 3 days per week, including logs of interval and tempo work. Here's a link to that plan: http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html.Add to that the swim training from one of the Olympic distance plans here on BT, and I think you will have a solid training plan for a great sprint race in August. You might need to adjust the length, frequency, or intensity of some of the training to allow for adequate recovery. If all of that is too much trouble, then the HIM plan will certainly have you plenty well prepared for your sprint in August. You could shorten some of the longer training sessions and add in some speedwork about 2 months out from your race, and you'll do fine.

Yeah, I guess my question is too specific for the generalized training. Although, I will probably do that this time. I do need to start making effective training plans for individual races. I have 'The Triathletes Training Bible' and I think I will start there. It shows you how to plan weeks to years using selected amount of hours you plan to train. It seems to be an inherent part of this sport if going further. I live so rural and because there are no coaches available I have toyed with the idea of getting my USAT level 1 coaching cert. I should look into that just because i'm interested in the technical aspect of things.

Everyone who's racing this weekend have a great one....have fun or else. Or else.....you won't have fun!! Ehhh....what do you say to people that do a sport that other sport do as punishment? I guess...go get em' folks! AND HAVE FUN! We do...
2010-05-08 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2846512

User image

Veteran
Amhgbh - 2010-05-09 7:25 PM OK another swim question. I too live in rural America where there are no coaches but I am thankful there's a pool. I know everyone says it takes time. It's been 2 months and I have improved. started at 25 yards and couldn't breathe. Now I'm swimming 100 yards with  breaks for my total of 400 yards (thats what my first sprint is) I did it today in 15 minutes. Ok now that you quit laughing. Has anyone ever stopped to rest in the actual event? or do I have to keep moving? Maybe by June 12th I won't need to worry about it but need to know just the same.
I know this is a mentor group but how many have done a sprint and what was your times?

Cool, so I had the same questions. Here's what I have learned. Most Tri's have a rope or somewhere you can rest for safety purposes (kayak, surfboard, etc). However, if you do not make the cut off time for some Tri's (depends on the event) you may be pulled off of the course. Others may let you continue. I think that's the way most sprints are. The more serious races will DNF you but you might be able to continue for time only.  Also, I have learned that most any stroke is okay, but it is the crawl that is the most effective that's why eveyone uses it. I have had friends that have done the side stroke all the way and were happy with that.
Jenn, maybe some feedback on this or corrections. I am just reviewing what I learned.
2010-05-08 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2846512

User image

Veteran
Amhgbh - 2010-05-09 7:25 PM OK another swim question. I too live in rural America where there are no coaches but I am thankful there's a pool. I know everyone says it takes time. It's been 2 months and I have improved. started at 25 yards and couldn't breathe. Now I'm swimming 100 yards with  breaks for my total of 400 yards (thats what my first sprint is) I did it today in 15 minutes. Ok now that you quit laughing. Has anyone ever stopped to rest in the actual event? or do I have to keep moving? Maybe by June 12th I won't need to worry about it but need to know just the same.

Amy, I checked your log. You are kickin' butt onn the training. Dang, Go girl! I hope you friend is okay after here bike spill.
2010-05-09 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Happy Mothers Day to all you girls out there!!! Hope you have a GREAT day. I wouldn't worry too much about calories today......or mulching, errands, chores, training (....too hard Wink) today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32