BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-02 4:12 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Wilmington NC
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
I do have a bike trainer but no space for the bike right now- darn baby stuff takes over most of the livingroom.  I actually forgot about it!  I got mine from Bike Nashbar- its not the most expensive but she works just fine.  I will try to find time and a place to use it.  Right now, off to work out since daddy is feeding baby!

2010-06-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2895839

User image

NH
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-02 5:12 AM I do have a bike trainer but no space for the bike right now- darn baby stuff takes over most of the livingroom.  I actually forgot about it!  I got mine from Bike Nashbar- its not the most expensive but she works just fine.  I will try to find time and a place to use it.  Right now, off to work out since daddy is feeding baby!

Agreed that kids tend to take over the house!  It doesn't get better as they get older either.

I came to really enjoy the trainer this winter.  I have a CycleOps wind trainer, very LOUD.  I found it cleaning up the basement, somehow my wife had bought it years ago at a yard sale!  I didn't even know what it was when I first saw it. 

It's so loud that I'm banished to the far nether regions of the basement in amongst the heaps of who knows what.  I feel a little like a lab rat in there, but the workouts rock.  I did a lot of Jorge's winter training plan.  If anyone wants a crazy bike plan, dig it up and kill yourself.  After the workouts there was no way to tell if I had been biking or swimming.
2010-06-02 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2896183

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Maybe I should look in my basement.....seems like there are alot of bike trainers buried around!!!
2010-06-02 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2895099

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-06-01 5:28 PM Life's been pretty tough lately so I've had to pound the distance on the weekend.  One thing I learned when I trained for 26.2 was to never skip your long workout.   I don't have any other races planned right now aside from Portage Lakes since there is so much chaos here, work schedule, family drama, etc.....If some race comes up locally there's a chance I'll do it, but right now I can't really travel or take any time off of work.  I'm currently working 6 days and working 3rd shift makes it really tough.  Thanks for all your encouragement  on the weekend workout and last minute 5k.  Makes it even more fun.  Maybe things will slow down next year and I can race more.  Right now I'm just trying to stay focused on getting the training in and having one big race to shoot for.

Working 3rd shift 6 days a week, and you still manage lots of training plus you are fast. I'm impressed! But when do you sleep;?!?!

Anthony
2010-06-02 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2895381

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-01 8:09 PM Great 5k race!!  Now I am more inspired.
  I sat down and really looked at my nutrition and exercises and devised a plan that I hope will work for me.  I have something planned everyday even if its small, just gotta get something in.  I set up a plan for eating too, only allowing for a few beers, sodas, lunches out etc.. per month. It doesnt put things so strict that I will not follow it but sets up some boundries so I dont go overboard.  Day one went well!  we are crazy busy at work so I dont have time to think about the sweets sitting on the desk etc..
  I hope to do a few 5/10 k races and maybe one tri in sept if I can get some time on the bike and in the water.  If only it was safe to ride my bike on my road in the dark.  Its ok to run but wouldnt feel comfortable riding fast when I cant see the potholes etc.. 
Now if we can just get the baby to sleep through the night, that would really help!
Keep up all the good work!
Paula

I agree, sounds like a good plan. I know what you mean about riding in the dark. I've tried it a couple of times, and even on roads that I've ridden a million times so I know every little bump in the pavement it is a little uncomfortable. Also. there's no street lights around me so it's a little spooky too.

Anthony
2010-06-02 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2896183

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-02 9:59 AM
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-02 5:12 AM I do have a bike trainer but no space for the bike right now- darn baby stuff takes over most of the livingroom.  I actually forgot about it!  I got mine from Bike Nashbar- its not the most expensive but she works just fine.  I will try to find time and a place to use it.  Right now, off to work out since daddy is feeding baby!

Agreed that kids tend to take over the house!  It doesn't get better as they get older either.

Isn't that the truth. My 20 year old daughter moved out for a couple of months, and when she came back instead of moving back into her old room she moved into the basement right where I would put the trainer.

I came to really enjoy the trainer this winter.  I have a CycleOps wind trainer, very LOUD.  I found it cleaning up the basement, somehow my wife had bought it years ago at a yard sale!  I didn't even know what it was when I first saw it. 

It's so loud that I'm banished to the far nether regions of the basement in amongst the heaps of who knows what.  I feel a little like a lab rat in there, but the workouts rock.  I did a lot of Jorge's winter training plan.  If anyone wants a crazy bike plan, dig it up and kill yourself.  After the workouts there was no way to tell if I had been biking or swimming.

Jorge's Winter plan does look good. I will have to buckle down and do at least some of it next Winter.

Anthony

2010-06-03 5:15 AM
in reply to: #2897610

Mooresville
Hey gang, I don't post alot, but I keep up and enjoy learning about everyone. I have a question I just bought a pair on new balance 1012about 4 weeks ago and they feel great, but my left arch just started to hurt yesterday. I don't have high arches to begin with and use an arch support in my work boots that I wear daily, but had to take it out because the pain was so bad and it stopped hurting almost instantly. My question is, can running change the height of my arch? Probably a stupid question, but you all seem to have alot of experience with running. Any help would be great. Thanks J
2010-06-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2898208

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-06-03 6:15 AM Hey gang, I don't post alot, but I keep up and enjoy learning about everyone. I have a question I just bought a pair on new balance 1012about 4 weeks ago and they feel great, but my left arch just started to hurt yesterday. I don't have high arches to begin with and use an arch support in my work boots that I wear daily, but had to take it out because the pain was so bad and it stopped hurting almost instantly. My question is, can running change the height of my arch? Probably a stupid question, but you all seem to have alot of experience with running. Any help would be great. Thanks J

I thought this was a very interesting question; it definitely gave me something to think about on my run this morning! To be honest, I don't actually know if the height of your arch does change much with running. However, they say that tendons and ligaments do adapt to training (slower than muscles and your "aerobic engine" which is why new runners have to ramp up training slowly to avoid injury), so I imagine there are changes in your foot as you do more running.

I do know from personal experience that the shoes you wear when not training can cause problems. A few months ago I was getting pain in the back of my heels for the first 10 minutes or so of my runs. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that the heel cushioning in my work shoes was wearing out. Got some new shoes and the pain went away in a few weeks, and I don't even spend much time on my feet at work.

I would suggest taking out the arch supports and seeing how you feel. If somehow it slows you down at work, but your running feels better, so what?
2010-06-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2897389

User image

NH
DannyK - 2010-06-02 5:05 PM Maybe I should look in my basement.....seems like there are alot of bike trainers buried around!!!

You're also welcome to come check my basement - there are parts which haven't been explored for years which may have entire bike shops for all I know!
2010-06-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2898208

User image

NH
Jaybird333 - 2010-06-03 6:15 AM Hey gang, I don't post alot, but I keep up and enjoy learning about everyone. I have a question I just bought a pair on new balance 1012about 4 weeks ago and they feel great, but my left arch just started to hurt yesterday. I don't have high arches to begin with and use an arch support in my work boots that I wear daily, but had to take it out because the pain was so bad and it stopped hurting almost instantly. My question is, can running change the height of my arch? Probably a stupid question, but you all seem to have alot of experience with running. Any help would be great. Thanks J

Like Anthony I've never heard of running changing the foot like that.  If removing the arch support seems to have helped, I'd say leave it out and don't worry about it if the pain stays away.  And good deal on finding running shoes which feel great - that can be a big challenge.

Why did you have the arch supports in your work boots to start with?  Do you have foot problems that needed some orthotics?
2010-06-03 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Gang!  24 days and counting.  I am excited for the day to come, but nervous as to how I will do.  I feel as though I need more training, but it is too late in the game if I'm not there.  Just want to get the swim over, once on land and hitting the bike I will be okay...I hope...LOL.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on training the last few weeks before a race??

Thanks

2010-06-03 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2899938

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-06-03 7:25 PM Hey Gang!  24 days and counting.  I am excited for the day to come, but nervous as to how I will do.  I feel as though I need more training, but it is too late in the game if I'm not there.  Just want to get the swim over, once on land and hitting the bike I will be okay...I hope...LOL.

Thanks

Is this your first tri?  Stay healthy.  Stay consistent.  Don't worry about things you can't control like weather, etc.  Have fun these last few weeks and focus on enjoying the race above all else.  You're ready.
2010-06-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2900029

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-06-03 8:11 PM
scott1223 - 2010-06-03 7:25 PM Hey Gang!  24 days and counting.  I am excited for the day to come, but nervous as to how I will do.  I feel as though I need more training, but it is too late in the game if I'm not there.  Just want to get the swim over, once on land and hitting the bike I will be okay...I hope...LOL.

Thanks

Is this your first tri?  Stay healthy.  Stay consistent.  Don't worry about things you can't control like weather, etc.  Have fun these last few weeks and focus on enjoying the race above all else.  You're ready.

Yes this is my 1st Tri and it is a sprint.  Columbia Celebration Sprint .6mi swim, 17mi bike and 3.4mi run.  I did ride the olympic course 25mi which was very hilly. They increased the swim and run portion as I wished they would have increased the bike.  Staying healthy is big, do not want any injuries now.  Looking forward to the washing machine swim.  I was thinking about craming myself in the washing machine to get the effect...LOL.  Having fun will be the biggest part of the race, just enjoy the race (is what I will keep telling myself)  Thanks.
2010-06-04 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2900085

User image

NH
scott1223 - 2010-06-03 8:40 PM
wbayek - 2010-06-03 8:11 PM

Thanks

Yes this is my 1st Tri and it is a sprint.  Columbia Celebration Sprint .6mi swim, 17mi bike and 3.4mi run.  I did ride the olympic course 25mi which was very hilly. They increased the swim and run portion as I wished they would have increased the bike.  Staying healthy is big, do not want any injuries now.  Looking forward to the washing machine swim.  I was thinking about craming myself in the washing machine to get the effect...LOL.  Having fun will be the biggest part of the race, just enjoy the race (is what I will keep telling myself)  Thanks.

That's a long sprint, especially the swim.  I say this a lot, but only in triathlon would we call an event that lasts an hour and a half or more a sprint! 

I understand your sentiment on the swim.  When I stepped onto the beach after my swim (only 450 yards), I just smiled because I knew I could handle the rest.  Just stay relaxed and focused.  Is the clan going?  It's great to have some support along the way, even though they don't see you much during the race.
2010-06-04 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

The group will be there to cheer me on...I will be happy to get outta the water and onto the bike.  Will have a big smile when the photographer takes my pic leaving the lake.  Looking forward to the brick on Sunday, we were talking about doing a slow paced swim, bike, run just to get in the transitions and getting use to changing gears.  What do you guys think??

Hit the pool this am, was a very good workout. Worked on technique and distance (1350yds).  Took a little while to warm up, but finally got into my rythym.

2010-06-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2901839

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Heyyy Scott:

The next 3 weeks will fly by!  I'm looking forward to reading your race report.

Dan

2010-06-04 6:40 PM

User image

NH
Scott, definitely practice the transitions.  I don't know that it's recommended, but I did my whole sprint (at least the same distances) as a full triathlon each of the two weeks before.  I wasn't on the actual course, but my home made course was MUCH hillier than the real thing so I felt very prepared.

Can't wait to see your report, it will be a BLAST for you.
2010-06-04 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2901982

User image

Expert
Hey everyone, sorry I didn't check in earlier, but I've been away from a computer all day. Very good discussion today.

Scott you are definitely ready. Your training has been solid with the added advantage of experience riding the course. As far as your training over the next few weeks goes just pretty much keep doing what you are doing. You have time for a couple more long rides which will not only help your ride, but will help your run as well. You had a great swim today; keep working on your form and feeling comfortable in the water. You want the swim to feel smooth and easy.

I am definitely looking forward to hearing all about it. You are gonna rock!

2010-06-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2902080

User image

Expert
I want to let you all know that Priscilla will not be able to do her scheduled race this weekend. Between work and injury she hasn't been able to train adequately. She has a good attitude though, and will come back better than ever!

Anthony
2010-06-05 3:48 AM
in reply to: #2899589

Mooresville
wbayek - 2010-06-03 4:17 PM

Like Anthony I've never heard of running changing the foot like that.  If removing the arch support seems to have helped, I'd say leave it out and don't worry about it if the pain stays away.  And good deal on finding running shoes which feel great - that can be a big challenge.

Why did you have the arch supports in your work boots to start with?  Do you have foot problems that needed some orthotics?

I thought the same as you and Anthony and I took out the supports but then more pain, so I put the supports in my running shoes and bingo, ran 5 miles with no pain. Thank you both for your help.

Edited by Jaybird333 2010-06-05 3:49 AM
2010-06-05 1:51 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I (re)learned a few things today on my run.
1. check the length of your toe nails every now and then- one should cut them more often!
2. Always wear your sunglasses- even if its not sunny when you leave the house.
3. if you have a water bottle, take it with you when its over 80 degrees before 8 am.

My 5 mile run did not go as planned but it is the longest I have run in over a year.
i have lost 4 pounds so far this week, its not easy but it does feel good to make healthy choices.  I did choose to go to lunch instead of a bike ride yesterday.  there are a lot of changes at work and i had to get the inside scoop.

2010-06-06 5:38 PM

User image

NH
Good job on the weight Paula.  Don't sweat the lunch, it's good to moderate.

I agree on warm weather runs.  Over 80 is quite hot for us up here in NH, so at that temp I'm already planning my 5:00 AM runs!  But if I'm stuck running in the heat I drink way more water than normal.

Jay - Good to hear you got the run in without pain.

Did I mention I had my first 10 hour tri week this past week!  Seems like a bit of a milestone.  I'm still waiting for speed to find me, but that will come.
2010-06-06 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great job Paula!  I found out this weekend that running in high humidity and heat is more difficult.  It takes alot more effort and water. 

Went out this morning with a group who are also doing the Sprint.  We rode the course and then ran it.  I will admit I was out of gas by the time I hit the run.  The course is very HILLY  and not to make excuses, which I can come up with TONS!  the heat did the most damage.  The bike course is awesome, rolling with one major climb, but nothing too sever.

The run on the other hand is very challenging.  I am not sure we ran the right course (and I hope we didn't) but the trail around the lake is hilly.  I know now what I am up against and will be able (should be??) to conserve some energy for the run.  I hope it isn't as hot and humid as today, but with my luck it will be hotter.

Keep training everyone and I hope you guys had a great weekend!
2010-06-07 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2902241

User image

Expert
Jaybird333 - 2010-06-05 4:48 AM

I thought the same as you and Anthony and I took out the supports but then more pain, so I put the supports in my running shoes and bingo, ran 5 miles with no pain. Thank you both for your help.

Good to hear you were able to do 5 miles with no pain. Are your feet still feeling good?
2010-06-07 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2902573

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-05 2:51 PM I (re)learned a few things today on my run.
1. check the length of your toe nails every now and then- one should cut them more often!
2. Always wear your sunglasses- even if its not sunny when you leave the house.
3. if you have a water bottle, take it with you when its over 80 degrees before 8 am.

My 5 mile run did not go as planned but it is the longest I have run in over a year.
i have lost 4 pounds so far this week, its not easy but it does feel good to make healthy choices.  I did choose to go to lunch instead of a bike ride yesterday.  there are a lot of changes at work and i had to get the inside scoop.

Well done on the weight loss and your longest run in over a year!

Running in the heat is hard for me. I'm thinking of adding some short lunchtime runs to help acclimate.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24