2010-11-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3193436

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Meulen - 2010-11-03 1:39 PM
ryanjleone - 2010-11-03 1:23 PM
Meulen - 2010-11-03 12:52 PM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

Great job on the weight loss!!! That's awesome!! I'm very new to this sport, so my advice may be taken with a grain of salt. From my personal experience, swimming was/is very tough for me as well, but it will come! As long as you get in the water, you'll improve! When I first started this program, my 1000yd time was about 45 min. Today, only 4 weeks into the program, I swam 2000yd in 48! The speed days must help immensely, because before this plan I was basically just doing long swims. Keep your head up and get that motivation to get in the water. Trust that it will come and it will...
thanks! do you just "swim the distance" in the plan? I'm thinking it may make sense to swim the distance but in some sort of sets or workout. I.E.: I usually use a few different workouts 1. warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free sets 4x400 coold down 150 free each length slower 2 warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free sets 2x 100/200/400 10x50 hard/easy 3 warm-up 150 kick/150 pull/150 free 2x1000 cool down 150 slow and some drills 4 whatever masters class makes me do I could adjust those to get the distance out of the plan our just swim the distance. Which would be better?

I hate just swimming the distance! Break it up into sets if you can. It's better mentally and it allows you to incorporate speed into your swimming.

2010-11-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3193880

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sunnythebulldog - 2010-11-03 5:40 PM

Hey Everyone-

I am currently training for the Ironman 70.3 in Cancun on Sept 18, 2011.  Before the event, my plan is to compete in as many other triathlons/5ks/10ks in my area (Coahuila, Mexico) as possible.  We've got the 65km Cardenche MTB race on Nov 14.

Anyway, so far the plan is going well.  I add alot more to the bike section, mainly out of necessity.  Riding "easy pace" doesn't work when you're riding on a cycling team.  I will do the plan twice to get to September 2011.  Along with my cycling training.

My goal is simply to finish and hopefully not be the very last one.  8 hours is the cut off, and I'd like to finish in about 7 hours.

Rachel

Hi Rachel! Welcome to BT! Congrats on signing up for your first 70.3! My only word of advice at this point is to not stress too much about strictly following the plan the first time through. If you are too hard on yourself and make yourself finish every workout you may find you don't have the motivation to go through the plan the second time, when it's MUCH MUCH more important for you to do the workouts to the best of your ability. In other words, use the plan the first time as only a guide, not a strict plan. Use it the second time more strictly and with more discipline.
2010-11-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3196719

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-05 9:44 AM

Meulen - 2010-11-03 11:52 AM OK..... I'm taking the plunge. I plan on doing HIM Racine this year and maybe Steelhead too. I will be starting the HIM plan here this month with some modifications for an early season marathon and to accomodate my computrainer and swim classes. My name is Brian. I'm 35, married (no kids), and work lots of hours. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work downtown. I started this obsession a few years ago. I rode my hybrid bike around the neighborhood to lose some weight. That progressed into MTB riding, later some MTB racing, and eventually tri's. I did my first tri in 2009, but I had some injuries that year MTB'ing and didn't continue. This year I did 4 tris 3 MTB races and 2 metric century rides. The tris were 2 sprints, an Xterra, and one Olympic. Along the way, since 2008, I've lost a total of 50lbs!! I'm excited about the progress I've made, and can't wait to make more. Next season I plan on doing 3 Xterra races, an Olympic and a couple of sprints along the way to my HIM. I'm on a journey to do an IM and am taking it slow. I want to do an HIM this year and IM next. In the meantime, I'm having a blast doing shorter tri's, especially Xterra. Those are just AWESOME!!! My weakest link is swimming. I'm struggling to get to a 2min/100 pace. I don't know what it is, but I find it hard to get motivated to go jump in the pool and swim. I've really been trying to focus on that while I've been creating a base for the HIM plan. Cycling and running have been good for me. I've made great progress in those. But if I can't get out of the water with the rest of the pack I ended up playing a losing game of catch-up. I start masters class in december. I'm hoping that'll help get me under 2min/100's and finally get me some strong finishes. Right now I swim between 2000-2500m's in an hour, but I am a little worried about doing the program with my lack of swim ability.

Welcome, Brian!! COngrats on your amazing journey so far! As far as swimming goes, you are not alone. Everyone has a weakness in this sport, and everyone has trouble motivating themselves to work on their weakness. It's a LOT more fun to do the stuff you are good at and a LOT less fun to focus on our weaknesses. I am SO glad that you are starting the Masters class as I think that is going to make a huge difference in how you handle your swim training. It's going to be fun, it's going to challenge you more than you will challenge yourself, it's going to provide more consistency, and it will bring out your competitive side!
Keep us up to date on how your training is going, especially once you start Masters!

thanks! I took masters last winter. I actually couldn't even make across the pool when I started! LOL I'm just stuck now and want to get better, so I'm going back.
2010-11-05 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3196755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Hi Rachel! Welcome to BT! Congrats on signing up for your first 70.3! My only word of advice at this point is to not stress too much about strictly following the plan the first time through. If you are too hard on yourself and make yourself finish every workout you may find you don't have the motivation to go through the plan the second time, when it's MUCH MUCH more important for you to do the workouts to the best of your ability. In other words, use the plan the first time as only a guide, not a strict plan. Use it the second time more strictly and with more discipline.

The text in red are very important.  I learned about this yesterday during my long run.  Yesterday was my 1 hour run according to the beginner HIM plan.  Well yesterday at work, I was pretty much on my feet for a solid 6 hours.  I felt a bit tired when I got home but remembering Chrissie Wellington's statement about trying not to miss any work outs, I HTFU and still went with the run.  I actually ran for 1hr 8min including the 8min warm up.  By 40minutes, I was really feeling the fatigue and the back of my knees started to hurt but I still run through it. 

I got home had a very good stretch got in the shower then iced my knees (front and back).  It felt much better this morning. 

All in all, do the plan to the best of your abilities and do  not force yourself to follow the plan to a "T"  Listen to your body and miss a work out or make it shorter if you are feeling drained or fatigued.  You'll feel much better the next day and in the mood for the next work out.  A good night's rest (7 hours or more) helps a lot too.

Edited by arkmann 2010-11-05 4:21 PM
2010-11-05 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3052895

Expert
GRRRRR light ankle sprain...1 week off.  Dammit!
2010-11-06 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
I finally finalized my 'big' tri races for next year. I signed up for Vineman in July (my first HIM) and SOMA in Tempe for October. I'll fill in between with some shorter races but I'm really happy with the way they are spaced out.

I'm at the start of 'official' training for the Napa Marathon in March. So my plan right now is to keep up my biking and swimming as much as is comfortable as my running builds up. The HIM plan starts the week before my marathon and I know I'll be pretty slow for a couple weeks after the race so am I going to get behind if I skip some of the workouts right after the marathon? I can totally see the advantages of having a coach because figuring out the best way to get ready is hard!

Johanne 

2010-11-07 12:34 AM
in reply to: #3197958

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-05 5:27 PM GRRRRR light ankle sprain...1 week off.  Dammit!

Feel better!
2010-11-08 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3197958

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-05 7:27 PM GRRRRR light ankle sprain...1 week off.  Dammit!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. STAY off of it for this week and you will be all rested and ready to go next week! Do some pushups or situps or something.
2010-11-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3198563

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
50andgettingfit - 2010-11-06 3:06 PM I finally finalized my 'big' tri races for next year. I signed up for Vineman in July (my first HIM) and SOMA in Tempe for October. I'll fill in between with some shorter races but I'm really happy with the way they are spaced out.

I'm at the start of 'official' training for the Napa Marathon in March. So my plan right now is to keep up my biking and swimming as much as is comfortable as my running builds up. The HIM plan starts the week before my marathon and I know I'll be pretty slow for a couple weeks after the race so am I going to get behind if I skip some of the workouts right after the marathon? I can totally see the advantages of having a coach because figuring out the best way to get ready is hard!

Johanne 

Don't worry about it. If you keep up some good bike and swim fitness while training for the marathon, you should be fine. After the marathon, skip all the running in the plan for a week or so and add more swim and bike instead. Then once you feel fully recovered, resume the plan as written.
2010-11-08 1:56 PM

User image

there may be a better place to post this but I'll start here since I'm training for HIM

I've been swimming early mornings, and the distance/intensity are more than what I was used to but that's not the problem....

I'm famished all day, hungry to the point of distraction, and I eat breakfast (usually oatmeal, banana, almonds, and soy milk). So somebody suggested eating a little less before the workout, adding more protein, and having the banana or some other fruit right after. Great, except now I'm freezing and can't seem to warm up!

advice?
2010-11-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3201211

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mellissa - 2010-11-08 1:56 PM there may be a better place to post this but I'll start here since I'm training for HIM

I've been swimming early mornings, and the distance/intensity are more than what I was used to but that's not the problem....

I'm famished all day, hungry to the point of distraction, and I eat breakfast (usually oatmeal, banana, almonds, and soy milk). So somebody suggested eating a little less before the workout, adding more protein, and having the banana or some other fruit right after. Great, except now I'm freezing and can't seem to warm up!

advice?

Yes, eat less before the workout. After the workout, eat way more protein and FAT. Eggs and bacon, eggs and chicken, eggs and cheese, whatever. I make a crustless quiche sometimes and cut it into slices that I can re-heat throughout the week for breakfast. You can also make yummy eggs in 90 seconds by beating two eggs and putting them in a microwave container with a tsp-Tbs of butter. Nuke for 90 seconds and enjoy.
So, banana before workout, real food with fat and protein after workout.
To warm up throughout the day, I drink hot water with lemon. Yes, water. I love, love, love to drink hot stuff but I can't and don't want to drink coffee all day. My first cup of hot water for the day includes Natural Calm, my magnesium supplemement, but the rest are just with lemon. Give it a try! Most people have access to hot water at work, and you can keep lemon slices ina  baggie without refrigeration for awhile.

2010-11-09 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hello everyone!  Well I have put my HIM on the back burner for awhile.   I need to strengthen my archilles tendons...both of them.  I don't want to end up walking the run portion.    I am working with a coach who helped me make that hard call.    Since they don't give refunds, I will be going to Puerto Rico in 2012.  I will rejoin the board at that time.  

Good luck to all of you chasing the 70.3 dream!
2010-11-09 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

It's great to hear everyone getting ready for their races.  I just talked to my brother and it sounds like we're both going to be signing up for the Tupper Lake Mooseman 2011 HIM in Upstate NY.  Training has been going great.  In only 4 weeks I have gone from running 5mi at a 10min/mi pace to just this past Sunday running 10mi at a 7:30min/mi.  I may actually end up giving him one hell of a fight.  I find the number one thing that helped me was nutrition.  Large intake of healthy calories and sugars gave me so much energy in order to keep up with my 3x a week plan.  No huge break throughs for my swim yet although I do see a steady improvement as my form comes together.  Hope you all stay healthy and those of you struck with bad luck I hope you heal quickly!

2010-11-09 11:47 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
So the swim tomorrow says for a warm up do 5x50 consecutive.  Wouldn't that just be a 1x250 or do I take a breather between sets?
2010-11-10 10:03 AM

User image

So...the good news is the tips on food/hot water seem to be working for my swimming issues...the bad news is I need some motivation today (yah, not above asking lol)...somehow wondering whether I was cut out for this or not...
2010-11-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3202441

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seren - 2010-11-09 9:10 AM Hello everyone!  Well I have put my HIM on the back burner for awhile.   I need to strengthen my archilles tendons...both of them.  I don't want to end up walking the run portion.    I am working with a coach who helped me make that hard call.    Since they don't give refunds, I will be going to Puerto Rico in 2012.  I will rejoin the board at that time.  

Good luck to all of you chasing the 70.3 dream!

Sounds like you are making a safe, smart decision. I predict a long future for you in this sport if you continue to make these good decisions and listening to your body!

2010-11-10 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3203026

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mrfranks_84 - 2010-11-09 12:30 PM

It's great to hear everyone getting ready for their races.  I just talked to my brother and it sounds like we're both going to be signing up for the Tupper Lake Mooseman 2011 HIM in Upstate NY.  Training has been going great.  In only 4 weeks I have gone from running 5mi at a 10min/mi pace to just this past Sunday running 10mi at a 7:30min/mi.  I may actually end up giving him one hell of a fight.  I find the number one thing that helped me was nutrition.  Large intake of healthy calories and sugars gave me so much energy in order to keep up with my 3x a week plan.  No huge break throughs for my swim yet although I do see a steady improvement as my form comes together.  Hope you all stay healthy and those of you struck with bad luck I hope you heal quickly!

Very cool! Thanks for giving us an update!
2010-11-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3204454

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mellissa - 2010-11-10 10:03 AM So...the good news is the tips on food/hot water seem to be working for my swimming issues...the bad news is I need some motivation today (yah, not above asking lol)...somehow wondering whether I was cut out for this or not...

It's November. It's dark. It's cold. It's not easy for anyone right now! Tell yourself that you only have to work out for 10 minutes today. You give yourself the right to quit after 10 minutes. Most days you keep going after that 10 minutes is up. SOme days you don't. But if you can't get past 10 minutes, then you probably needed a day off anyway!
2010-11-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3196727

User image

Pro
Houston
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-05 9:40 AM

Yay!  A fellow homebirthing Mama!!!  I see a lot of similarities between laboring/birthing and triathlon.  I will post Monday if I am able to get my butt to the computer.  Thanks for the note.

Not Monday but the RR is up.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=233190&posts=21&start=1
2010-11-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3204454

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Mellissa - 2010-11-10 10:03 AM

So...the good news is the tips on food/hot water seem to be working for my swimming issues...the bad news is I need some motivation today (yah, not above asking lol)...somehow wondering whether I was cut out for this or not...

go to a gym with a hot tub/steam room/sauna etc. Go do your workout with the pretense that if you get it done you can reward yourself with some "feel good" time in one of the previously mentioned.
2010-11-10 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dropping back in.....

Started computrainer classes this week. A little frustrating numbers for me, but I don't think it's out of norm and I know I'll get stronger. My avg for my last Oly was 21.6 and last sprint 23.6, so I'm hoping this winters classes will keep me over 20mph avg for the HIM. Plus, this keeps me pedaling while there will be snow on the ground around here. I'm kinda slacking again on the swimming! Need to go to the pool tonight!

Edited by Meulen 2010-11-10 1:54 PM

2010-11-10 6:49 PM

Expert
Ankle is all better, starting my 20 week tomorrow.  Ooh I'm a bit nervous.  I got my bike all tuned and fixed up nice..hows this look for a first road bike? Sorry my blackberry camera sucks.  I got my bike off ebay, and rode it maybe ten miles today and it felt so nice.  Just getting comfy clipping in and out, shifting, etc.  So happy!

Also, does anyone use TrainingPeaks?

Edited by JG_GreenCoast 2010-11-10 6:51 PM
2010-11-10 6:49 PM

Expert

Edited by JG_GreenCoast 2010-11-10 6:52 PM
2010-11-10 8:53 PM

User image

Thank you for motivating me! I did my workouts (Tri Take Me Away, I will start logging) It was just a cold dark rainy day...and I ate too much...ok, done whining and ready to roll
2010-11-11 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Rockford, MI

I live in Rockford, MI, I'm going to turn 40 beginning of 2011, so going to tackle my first HIM!!

I was bit by the Tri bug in January of this year(2010).  I did an indoor tri at my gym, 20 min swim, 20 min bike, 20 min run.  Then I did 3 outdoor Tri's this year and my first 1/2 Mary as well, plus some 5K, 10K, 15K runs.

I have ZERO competitive swimming background, so swimming was something I focused on pretty hard this year.  My indoor tri, kicked my butt big time in the pool, my first outdoor tri kicked my butt in the lake, my 2nd and 3rd outdoor tri's went much better in the lake.  After my last tri in September, I took a 2 month break from swimming, I just started back in the pool this week, ouch, it's been tough.

I plan on doing my first HIM in August and a 25K Run in May.  I probably will do a Sprint Tri in July, one in September, and may sprinkle in some runs and another sprint or oly tri possibly.

Would you recommend I start an Oly Plan now and then start the HIM Beginner plan in March?  Also, are there any real good videos on Swimming Drills out there?  I understand using the kick board, and the buoy between your thighs, but a little clueless beyond that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150