BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-18 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3307537

User image

Regular
Henderson
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
cbarnes1 - 2011-01-18 5:14 PM Sheila - most lap pools are 25 yards or 25 meters.  1/2 mile is roughly 800 yards.  That will be 32 lengths or 16 laps.  

trainer ride and a walk today.  I am still struggling with my heel and calves. ugh. 

Chet, sorry to hear you are struggling with that heel and calves.  What run is coming up for you? Hope is gets better before then.  

The pool on Racetrack, I think that is 25 meters?  So that would be 32 lengths to equal 1/2 mile?

2011-01-18 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks Sheila.  I can bike and swim to keep my cardio up so I am using this week to rest it.  The calf loosens up during the run so that is not as much as a concern.  I am still hopeful to run Surf City on February 6th.  I pushed on the bike trainer and didn't feel either one.  It is just part of the lifestyle
2011-01-18 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Yep, 32 lengths is 1/2 mile.  
2011-01-19 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Morning everyone.  Heading out on the bike this morning.  Legs felt better after the ride yesterday so I think I will ride a couple more days then test the run.  I think if I get a good run in Friday or Saturday, I should still be OK for Surf City.

I got new running shoes yesterday too! 
2011-01-19 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
As I am "RICE"ing my lower legs, I was still able to get a good workout on the bike without any pain.  With triathlon, if you start to have issues in one sport, you can up the other two to allow your body to rest where you need it.  Overall I believe triathlon has much more longevity because of the different muscle groups it targets.  I feel broken down at the end of marathon training.  I felt run down, not broken during the Ironman training.  

So does anyone reward themselves for training or races?  I get new gear for runs over 20 miles (shoes this time) and a burger and a beer(maybe two) after most races. 
2011-01-19 1:32 PM

User image

Amsterdam

Good morning everyone!

I'm happy to say that I've been pretty consistant w/ running since I last posted..   in the past 4 days, I went for 2 runs (1hr 10 mins, and 30 mins), and I will be doing a 60 minute "run" w/ the Vancouver Orienteering club this evening!  :-)

Just for fun, I also signed up for one additional race:  the Zandvoort Circuit Run (12k) on March 27.    So that's one (~10km) race for Feb, 2 for Mar, and 1 for April!    I'm excited already!   :-)

BTW -- after listening to most of it, I can't recommend 'Born to Run' enough!  It's a very compelling story about the Tarahumara running tribe in Mexico -- it will almost make you want to run barefoot and ultra distances!   It's a very very inspiring read!

Have a good midweek everybody, and enjoy your new rides, beautiful scenery, and workouts!   :-)

Mel

2011-01-19 1:38 PM

Glad to hear the leg pain is under control Chet. I am sure you will be fine for the big run if a little broken after it. Interested to hear that ironman training broke you less than marathon training. I can't yet envisage running a marathon after 112 miles of biking.

Rewards: my trouble is I reward myself for every little thing! Take today for example, 25 min swim = big bowl of ice cream at supper! Need to learn self control I guess.

Ross

PS anyone got any tips for getting rid of water in your ear? Drives me nuts!

Edited by eejit 2011-01-19 1:40 PM
2011-01-19 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Mel - great work!  Sounds like you are going to be busy racing too.  

Ross - It really was all about pace.  My weekly running mileage is twice what it was for the ironman and most of the miles are much faster.  I don't have the recovery problems with the bike and swim as I do with the run.  I love running the most but when I push, I pay the price.  

Going to our cabin for some altitude training  10,000 ft.  Hope everyone is having a great day. 
2011-01-19 5:56 PM

User image

Amsterdam
Chet: as for rewards..  it sounds a bit cheezy, but running (and races) themselves have always been the reward for me.  With the stress and inactivity of a desk job, getting out and stretching my legs, and forgetting about the day's pressures was always enough to make it worth it for me.  (Another reward is mixing sport w/ traveling -- it's such a pleasure to see new places that way!)

Ross: water in the ear is definitely annoying!  Good earplugs keep it out in the first place..   but otherwise, I'm not sure if much can be done, other than to dry/shake it out, and then let the rest of the water evaporate..

Mel
2011-01-19 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Evening everyone, just finished my hardest workout to date, 15 x 2 min. hill repeats.  During my run I got to see the sun set, the moon rise and a bunch of strange people on the bridge.  I particularly liked the little old lady with the Sketchers Step Ups, ankle weights, wrist weights, and just walking.  No high knees or arm pumps, just walking carrying 8-10 pounds of extra weight.  Anyways...

Chet - glad to hear the legs are feeling better.  The hardest part of RICE is always the Rest.

Rewards - last year I lost 75 pounds by training for tris, before I started I wrote down all of my weight loss goals AND rewards.  It really kept me focused.  Some were simple, 5 workouts in a week = a splurge meal.  25 pounds lost = new clothes.  My favorite, 50 pounds lost = new tri bike!

Ross - x 2 on the ear plugs but if that doesn't do it, my mom always had a baby bottle with equal parts vinegar and rubbing alcohol.  A few drops in each ear when we got out of the pool always worked. 
2011-01-19 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Chris - I like the 50 pounds new tri bike!!  My big reward for qualifying for and getting signed up for Boston is I will never run a marathon hard again

2011-01-19 11:36 PM

New user

I found you all again.  My current success...thanks to Ms. Sheila. I am enjoying reading all the fabulous goals and success stories as well as the challenges.  I will be posting now that I know how.  
2011-01-20 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Good to see you again Daneen.  I look forward to hear how you are doing.  

I woke up this morning and we were almost on page two!  I may have to wake up earlier

Off for a swim today and maybe a short spin.  I think I am going to take the rest of the week off of running and pick up the taper next week.  I have made progress but don't want to test it too soon.  

So here is a question for the group.  I ran a 3:10 in March to qualify for Boston.  I didn't get signed up because it sold out so fast and couldn't get my application in.  They say they are going to change the qualifying times from 0 to 10 minutes but nothing official yet.  This means some age groups will be changed and some won't.  Most of the complaints about the times have been the women's qualifying times so I expect the most changes there.  

So here is the long winded question:  After having a little set back this week I am considering aiming for 3:15 which is my current qualifying time.  3:10 gives me a cushion.  So do I go out at a 3:10 and slow down if it is too fast?  Do I go out at a 3:15 pace and speed up if I feel good?  Do you think people that qualify before the changes are made will be grandfathered in?  We are in a current qualifying period now.

Edited by cbarnes1 2011-01-20 10:15 AM
2011-01-20 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Chet - Just from personal experience I would start at the 3:15 pace then pick it up if you can.  My last half, I started too fast and wasn't able to make my goal time when I hit the wall.
2011-01-20 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Ryder Bikes is sponsoring cyclist and triathletes and I just received an email confirming that I will be one of their sponsored triathletes for the 2011 season!  

Very exciting news except that my new red, white & blue Rudy Project aero helmet is really going to clash with the black, purple & yellow kit.

Now a question: one piece trisuit or 2 piece trisuit?  I used a one piece last year and it worked well for sprints, but with jumping to longer distances (Oly & HIM) is it better to have the 2 piece? 
2011-01-20 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Congrats Chris!! That really is something to be proud of.  Does that make you a professional triathlete now?

I say a one piece is tri suit is great if it fits you right.  I have a long torso and short legs so i find them not as comfortable as tri shorts and separate tri top.  I use medium shorts and a large top.  The only draw back is that when you have to make a bio stop, you have to take the whole thing down in the Porta Pottie.  

It sounds like your family will be able to spot you easily on the course with your color scheme!!!  

2011-01-20 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
One of the moments I often forgot to enjoy because I was nervous about the race was standing in the water just before the gun goes off.  All the work that went into training, the smell of the water, all of the athletes looking at that first marker, and the anticipation of what's to come are just some of the things that are going through your head at that moment.  Ah, I love this sport.
2011-01-20 6:31 PM

Just north of Seattle WA

Chris - Thanks for the suggestion of the foam roller. We do have one in the house...somewhere..., so I'll start using that. Congrats on the sponsorship, that is awesome!

Ross - I know what you mean about the spin classes. Grab a bike in the back row and take breaks as needed, and you won't feel like you have to keep up. That's the way I feel in those classes.
Also, I agree with Chris. After every swim, after drying my ears out as much as possible,
I use a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and drip a drop in my ear. It helps to evaporate the water.

Second run on the treadmill this week and the calf feels slightly tight afterward, but after stretching it feels better the next day. Will start using the foam roller though.

Greg                                                                                                

2011-01-20 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Just as a follow up to the rewards question, I mentioned the weight loss I had last year.  Below are a before and after picture.  The Jan. 2010 picture was my breaking point, when I saw that pic I knew I had to make a change.

Edited by cwpeters 2011-01-20 10:53 PM
2011-01-20 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Whoa! Activity group! I have been on call and have missed 4/6 training periods this week. I will play catch this weekend. Also, I am getting my diet log together...I am failing miserably at control. I am also not getting enough sleep and not being prepared with my food for the day is a terrible combo. Planning, planning, planning.

Ross-  I really like the wax earplugs. They keep the water out the best for me. I use them in races too.

Chet- I like the pacing thingy. Start at the 3:15 pace and if feeling a push at mi 13-18 and then again at the end. Commitment to your training will ensure it. Check last years training log and tweak.

Chris - Kudos on the sponsorship. Great Job. BTW: I agree with Chet on the bio break. I go with the two piece. It is also just more comfortable for me.

Mel- Told ya so. I knew you'd like the book. BTW: I am reading the book Between A Rock And A Hard Place,  written by Aron Ralston. He is the guy that got his arm caught between a boulder and a cliff, crushing it. Yes...he did...he cut it off with a multitool. I think it will help me prepare my mental game. Everyone should check it out.
2011-01-21 1:12 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Chris - Well done! How cool to be a sponsored athlete???! The Jan 2011 pic looks like the younger brother of your 2010 pic!

Chet - I'm no expert on marathons but I feel choosing a pace that's just a bit slower than target pace is a good insurance policy against hitting the wall, if you feel good at the half way mark you can step it up.
In my one and only HM last year I ran with the 2hr pace group until 16k then did my own thing according to how I felt and finished in 1hr55. I think the prospect of blowing up and not finishing the race scares me more than the prospect of not achieving my absolute fastest time.

2011-01-21 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks guys.  I am arguing smart vs ambitious with myself.  I am taking the next couple days at 10,000 ft elevation to get healthy and run my normal mileage starting Monday.  Then I will have a better idea where I am.  I am signed up for the Napa marathon in March as my back-up race.

So what's on tap for everyone this weekend?

2011-01-21 10:50 AM

Big congratulations to Chris on the sponsorship deal! Amazing work. Also to the rest of you on your amazing weight loss achievements. I like the idea of targets and rewards.

Chet, I have only done the one marathon but I reckon I am with the rest of the team on starting easy and if you have the legs speeding it up a bit for the second half. I read that the best marathon runners aim to get a negative split. Pretty impressed with your 3:15 target, good going.

Thanks to all for the suggestions about the ears, I have bought some ear plugs today and will try them when I swim next week. As for pouring alcohol in my ear.... I am gonna stick with the oral route for now, it takes my mind off the water that way!

Ross
2011-01-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3313357

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
eejit - 2011-01-21 11:50 AM  As for pouring alcohol in my ear.... I am gonna stick with the oral route for now, it takes my mind off the water that way!

Ross

Is this your weekend work out?Wink

I am going to attempt another group ride Saturday.  My goal is to not get dropped until mile 15 this time. 
2011-01-21 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3313357

User image

Amsterdam
Chris:  congats on your sponsorship deal!!!

Jeff:  I also very much enjoyed 'Rock and a Hard Place'!  Moreso than the Horseshoe Canyon (i.e. sawing off his arm) stuff..  I really loved the stories about mountaineering (i.e. stalking bear) and his winter Colorado 14ers project.   I was a little dissappointed that they left that part completely out of the movie (127 Hours).

Chet:  my strategy for pacing generally involves the use of my Garmin GPS watch.

- Before the run:  I set my watch for the most conservative goal pace (in your case a 3:15 marathon).  I would then turn the screen to the Virtual Running Partner, and keep my eye on the number (km's ahead/behind) at the bottom.

Start of race: I run by feel (i.e. ignore my watch) -- with easy(!) pushing.  And as long as my # of km's ahead is increasing, and I'm still running comfortably, then I don't mind.   I do try to avoid getting swept along by people clearly faster than me.

Middle of race: Once I start to get tired, I then focus on keeping the number (of km's ahead) the same.   It often helps to find someone going my desired pace, and use them as a pace bunny.  (And switch to another pace bunny if that person slows down.)

End of race:  By then it's HARD work to keep the # of kms on my watch the same..  the # of kms is even likely to drop a little bit..   however, by that stage of the race, I've usually gained enough of a time buffer that I make my goal time overall.  If I'm well trained (and having a good day), I can even push a bit more at the end -- leading to a nice PR.

If my Virtual Running partner turns and stays black (i.e. I'm behind) in the first/second quarter of the race, then it's not likely I'm going to make my goal pace that day.   So in that case, I accept it and forget about it (i.e. ignore my watch), and try to make the most of the race at whatever pace feels best.

Mel
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28