BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3326990

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
TriPatrick - 2011-01-28 11:28 AM Friday: 1 hour am run 
Saturday: 3:30 ride/ 30 run  Brick
Sunday: AM 1:30 run   :45-1:00 easy spin PM

thats a tough weekend

2011-01-30 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3328056

User image

Tyler,
thndrcloud - 2011-01-28 9:57 PM
grownassman161 - 2011-01-28 9:33 PM

You hit on a couple things I struggle with without even knowing it. Breathing is tough for me. I forgot to post that my HR right after the 400 was 138. To me this seems low for how heavy I was breathing at the end of the swim. Is HR much different in the water than it is with running or biking? I'm 24 so Max. HR should be 196 (220-age). I only did the workout this way to get a feel for my tri next weekend.

220 - age is a load of malarkey.  If I were to follow that my Max HR would be 187 but I consistently hit 200+ at the end of races.  My last test on the bike indicated a lactate threshold of 184 while my last run test gave me an LT of 189.  Those values indicate a Max HR of 201-210 for me which is inline with what I experience in races.  I've never done a test for swimming but based on RPE I would say that an effort that averages in the 170's feels about the same as a run in the 180's.

My HR is naturally on the high end.  My father in law red lines below 150 even though his max would be around 160 according to that formula.  If you want to train based on HR you should do some testing to get your zones set properly. 

We do these sub max test on the "general population" with that formula, but I always tell them it could be off 10-20 bpm or just completely off so just please let me know for whatever reason you feel like you need to stop.

a max test I hear requres a M.D. present, which is probably why exercise testing is so expensive.
2011-01-30 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3328024

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-28 9:33 PM
cam111 - 2011-01-28 9:16 PM Did a swim tonight 800yd (longest yet!) What I wanted to do was 400 non stop which I did and it went pretty good I think. 8:47 for the whole 400 but didn't have to flip over at all which is good for me. I also added on some drills afterward to put in some more yards. Anyone have thoughts on the time?

Weekend- going to mountain bike for an hour on saturday and then whatever comes sunday maybe a long group ride who knows.

Good luck to those doing the half! Pace yourself and then attack in the last half of it!

Great accomplishment!  The improvements with swim distances, early on, come the hardest.  You should celebrate!!!  Seriously, this is a great milestone, and you should know (and be relieved) that 1000, 1500, 2000+ will all become progressively easier (and faster).  You should really focus on technique and stroke count (rather than time) at this point to make sure you're getting the most out of your efforts.  If you are working on improving swimming performance, you can use the rule of thumb that 3 days/week will maintain; but it takes more to improve...a good option is to do shorter (both distance and time) workouts more frequently to establish the muscle memory and proper mechanics (before fatigue sets in) -- 15-20min is fine for these workouts (get on uTube to see a bunch of great examples of swim mechanics videos).

A good weekly routine is short technique sessions 3 times a week and longer endurance sessions staggered twice a week.

One of the most important aspects of swimming is to get your technique to the point that you're breathing in a comfortable manner...I wouldn't recommend focusing on anything else, until you get that dialed in.  It's hard enough to put the effort in, don't do it holding your breath...

Thanks for sharing your milestone.  C

You hit on a couple things I struggle with without even knowing it. Breathing is tough for me. I forgot to post that my HR right after the 400 was 138. To me this seems low for how heavy I was breathing at the end of the swim. Is HR much different in the water than it is with running or biking? I'm 24 so Max. HR should be 196 (220-age). I only did the workout this way to get a feel for my tri next weekend.

I did celebrate with 3 beers (miller high life, reminiscent of my college days partying in the dorms even though that was only a few years ago). I plan to get into longer workouts in March, the pool is open later starting then. For now I have about 30 min. or less depending on when I get out of work and get home. I'm really looking forward to those longer milestones. I found myself thinking about doing a full ironman somewhere down the road and wondering if I'll ever make it but I know one day I will.
Thanks Cam!

Congrats!!! All good things being said!
2011-01-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3328064

User image

Tyler,
thndrcloud - 2011-01-28 10:09 PM I took today off.  I'd considered throwing in another swim but the little dude was very against going to the gym and since I had other things to deal with today I threw the idea out the window.  I did get an impromptu workout in during my oldest daughter's guitar lesson when my other two instigated a game of capture the mommy.  It wasn't a true interval session, but lots of sprints and short anaerobic spurts.  Even better was that today was the first day I haven't taped my toe and so far I've got no pain or swelling.

Tomorrow I'll be doing a 1.5 hour ride on the trainer and, if things keep going my way, on Sunday I'm going to try a short run.

The real fun is starting an allergy elimination diet with the family tomorrow.  My 7yo daughter and I both have diagnosed ADHD and we're looking into food allergies as a possible cause of some of our symptoms.  For the next week we get no wheat, dairy, egg, sugar, soy, cocoa, cola, corn, preservatives, food coloring, citrus or peanuts.  During the second week we'll be adding those items back in, one per day, to see if they affect us.

I'm a little nervous about how changing up my diet so dramatically will affect my training, but since I'll still be eating a pretty well-balanced, and definitely healthier than normal, diet it should be all right.  I'm just hoping that if anything comes up it's something I won't mind losing like the food coloring or preservatives.  Better to find out now before I have my nutrition planned for my HIM though.

Good luck , sounds like a pain to deal w/ bc I love to eat and need to eat so much
2011-01-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3328309

User image

Tyler,
cam111 - 2011-01-29 9:21 AM William, is the Marriott Springhill Suite on Galveston Island, a convenient place to stay for the Texas 70.3?  Thanks, C

umm.....anywhere near Moody Gardens will be good. Seawall blvd is the main strip through there! I haven't even got a place yet.
2011-01-30 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3328615

User image

Tyler,
cam111 - 2011-01-29 2:49 PM OK, William - How's your pride after the ex-BF challenge?

haha are you talking about the group ride this weekend? I pulled the whole group and he sucked my wheel pretty much the whole time, passed me once and then I  blasted by less than a minute later up a hill.

2011-01-30 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3329489

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 1:16 PM I did a brick today. bike to run which to me is the most difficult transition physically. The bike was slow cause I was with my wife but the run splits were great. Its so weird cause I thought my run splits were going to come out about 30 seconds slower per mile than they did but somehow I was carrying a fast pace. I had that strong feeling like I was pounding the ground with my feet but thats only from the change of the biking motion to running.

you were either warmed up , carrying a good cadence, or a combination of both.
2011-01-30 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Tyler,
I hope everyone is had a good weekend. I am loving the interaction the group is having on here. It's a bit hard for me to keep up with everything but I saw some good post and glad to hear you are all improving. Please ask any questions or concerns you have. I just realized my first race is about 2 months away.
2011-01-30 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3329644

User image

Dallas, TX
triritter - 2011-01-30 4:18 PM
adubtri - 2011-01-28 8:59 AM I've got a 90 minute bike ride tonight, Sat - I'll be doing the Big D Climb (running up 52-flights of stairs in Dallas); then do an easy run in the afternoon, Sun - 2.5 bike ride.

how did you do in this? I heard about it. I tried to get my ultra running buddy from NY to come down and do it.

http://mrsnv.com/evt/home.jsp?id=3042

A friend just sent me this and is trying to talk me into it.  MIght be a different event, but similar. 
2011-01-30 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3329667

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-01-30 5:32 PM I hope everyone is had a good weekend. I am loving the interaction the group is having on here. It's a bit hard for me to keep up with everything but I saw some good post and glad to hear you are all improving. Please ask any questions or concerns you have. I just realized my first race is about 2 months away.

My race is super bowl sunday (400 pool swim, 13 bike, 2.2 run). Going there to finish since its my first but also going to finish as hard as I can. Any advice on which day to take off before the race. I was initially thinking of the plan below for this week with all the workouts being easy so that I will feel fresh.
M- Swim (800 M like I did this week)
T- Swim (600 w/drills)
W- run (an hour with a group of marathon & tri guys @ 8:30 pace)
th-  off
F- Run
Sa- Bike (maybe an hour at an easy pace)
Su- Race

Any thoughts on what to change? Should I do the Wed. run shorter and a bit faster?
2011-01-30 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3329672

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 3:40 PM
triritter - 2011-01-30 5:32 PM I hope everyone is had a good weekend. I am loving the interaction the group is having on here. It's a bit hard for me to keep up with everything but I saw some good post and glad to hear you are all improving. Please ask any questions or concerns you have. I just realized my first race is about 2 months away.

My race is super bowl sunday (400 pool swim, 13 bike, 2.2 run). Going there to finish since its my first but also going to finish as hard as I can. Any advice on which day to take off before the race. I was initially thinking of the plan below for this week with all the workouts being easy so that I will feel fresh.
T- Swim (600 w/drills)
th-  off
F- Run
Su- Race

Any thoughts on what to change? Should I do the Wed. run shorter and a bit faster?

I was firing off a similar line of questions to my swim coach two weeks before a fall race last year...his comment was; "the hay is already in the barn" if you wanted to go stronger or faster, you should have thought that through earlier...[jack@s5]...but of course he was right.

Couple of comments: 
  • Rest is more important than exercise the week before the event.
  • Don't exercise "longer or harder" than what you plan to race
  • "No beer" until after the race -- this applies to at least 48hrs prior (and of course, I'm drinking a glass of wine while writing this...)
  • These distances aren't going to tax your endurance -- this is a speed/fitness play; you should be over-rested to perform your best
  • If there are any psychological barriers (e.g. can i make the swim, etc) get them over by Mon/Tues
  • Get on youTube and look at videos for "open turns" (I'm assuming you don't flip-turn--I don't either) you can save a lot of time getting this right
  • Have a race plan, I typically have 3 scenarios...first is to finish (this includes all types of scenarios - kicked in the nose, bike crash, flat, turned ankle, etc.), next is what I've been training at (pace), and third is if all goes well this will be the "perfect race" (T1, T2 less than 5min each) even splits on the bike and run, etc. -- know this before you start
  • The only real reason to do anything 2/3 days before the race is to address "pre-race" jitters.  Don't over-do-it 

If you're willing to share, we'd love to see what your race goals are (include T1/T2) -- make no mistake, it's going to hurt...we're all with you though.  If you put it out there...chances are you'll over-achieve!

2011-01-30 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3329662

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
triritter - 2011-01-30 3:29 PM
cam111 - 2011-01-29 2:49 PM OK, William - How's your pride after the ex-BF challenge?

haha are you talking about the group ride this weekend? I pulled the whole group and he sucked my wheel pretty much the whole time, passed me once and then I  blasted by less than a minute later up a hill.

Pretty much what I expected,...and it kind of makes me smile.  C
2011-01-30 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3329769

User image

Regular
cam111 - 2011-01-30 7:12 PM
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 3:40 PM

If you're willing to share, we'd love to see what your race goals are (include T1/T2) -- make no mistake, it's going to hurt...we're all with you though.  If you put it out there...chances are you'll over-achieve!

Here's what I just came up with for goals/predictions all of which I think are attainable.

Swim- 8:30 (400yds)

T1- no clue but let’s say  under 5 minutes for sure

Bike- 13 mi @ 18 mi/h(average)= 43 min.

T2- maybe a minute or so, I have a feeling the transition area is going to be small it’s a small race for beginners

Run- 2.2 mi @ 7min/mile= 15:24

Total= under 1 hour 14 min

2011-01-30 7:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Beat my goal on the half marathon today...despite less-than-ideal weather conditions (luckily the predicted thunderstorms stayed away, though). For Monday I have on tap an easy 45' spin and 1500 in the pool. Good idea to stick with one or both...or take a rest day?
2011-01-30 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3329837

User image

Regular
roadrhino - 2011-01-30 8:34 PM Beat my goal on the half marathon today...despite less-than-ideal weather conditions (luckily the predicted thunderstorms stayed away, though). For Monday I have on tap an easy 45' spin and 1500 in the pool. Good idea to stick with one or both...or take a rest day?

Depends on your training and how beat up you are from the half. I always think movement is key after events like that. Maybe one day off but then get going again I would plan a couple days worth of easy workouts for yourself then by the weekend get back into harder or longer stuff.

What was your goal time vs. actual? Good job on beating your goal!
2011-01-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3329855

Extreme Veteran
Yeah, I thought the swim and bike would help loosen all the tightness, so I put it on my plan when I was making my HIM training program. Everything this week is scheduled to be easy until Saturday. Might just see how I feel in the morning. My goal was 2:30:00 and I hit 2:28:36. It was my first stand-alone 13.1...and I redeemed myself from my embarrassing HIM run from last year.
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 7:51 PM
roadrhino - 2011-01-30 8:34 PM Beat my goal on the half marathon today...despite less-than-ideal weather conditions (luckily the predicted thunderstorms stayed away, though). For Monday I have on tap an easy 45' spin and 1500 in the pool. Good idea to stick with one or both...or take a rest day?

Depends on your training and how beat up you are from the half. I always think movement is key after events like that. Maybe one day off but then get going again I would plan a couple days worth of easy workouts for yourself then by the weekend get back into harder or longer stuff.

What was your goal time vs. actual? Good job on beating your goal!

2011-01-31 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3329672

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 4:40 PM

T- Swim (600 w/drills)
th-  off
F- Run
Su- Race

yes you can shorten the run up a bit, and maybe include a few a pickups. Friday is off, and Saturday is a race prep so 10-15 min each sport w/ 3-4x 20-30" pickups.
2011-01-31 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3329837

User image

Tyler,
roadrhino - 2011-01-30 7:34 PM Beat my goal on the half marathon today...despite less-than-ideal weather conditions (luckily the predicted thunderstorms stayed away, though). For Monday I have on tap an easy 45' spin and 1500 in the pool. Good idea to stick with one or both...or take a rest day?

Congratulations on beating your goal!! There was bad weather in Houston? There was nothing but sunny skies in Dallas yesterday. take the day off and do a loose swim on tuesday.
2011-01-31 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3329644

User image

Euless
It was awesome!!  I made my goal and stayed at a constant and steady pace all the way up.  Finished in a little over 14 minutes.  The event goal to beat was 6 minutes flat - wasn't going to do that!!  haha  Next year my goal will be to get it under 12 minutes.  William you should get all your running buddies and do it with our team.

Hey Teddie, you should do it with us next year.  Here's the event we do: www.bigdclimb.org.  The other event makes you raise a minimum of $200 just to climb, the Big D doesn't.  :-)
2011-01-31 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3330215

User image

Dallas, TX
adubtri - 2011-01-31 6:43 AMIt was awesome!!  I made my goal and stayed at a constant and steady pace all the way up.  Finished in a little over 14 minutes.  The event goal to beat was 6 minutes flat - wasn't going to do that!!  haha  Next year my goal will be to get it under 12 minutes.  William you should get all your running buddies and do it with our team.

Hey Teddie, you should do it with us next year.  Here's the event we do: www.bigdclimb.org.  The other event makes you raise a minimum of $200 just to climb, the Big D doesn't.  :-)
Sounds fun!! I was wondering how long it would take. This week may be a challenge to me training wise. I have jury duty . For the first time ever. So I may have sit around and waste time a lot this week. (But at least they have wireless in the courthouse and I have an iPad . So not all bad.)
2011-01-31 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3330215

User image

Tyler,
adubtri - 2011-01-31 6:43 AM It was awesome!!  I made my goal and stayed at a constant and steady pace all the way up.  Finished in a little over 14 minutes.  The event goal to beat was 6 minutes flat - wasn't going to do that!!  haha  Next year my goal will be to get it under 12 minutes.  William you should get all your running buddies and do it with our team.

\

Nice job, I think I got the event mixed up with the other one then. Sounds like you had a good time.

2011-01-31 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran

Seems like everyone had a good weekend. 

My HM was fun.  I was shooting for under 2 hrs...a bit of a high goal I know but it didn't hurt to try...came in at 2:02:58.  I was very proud of myself and left everything out on the course. 

Did some yoga today and just trying to rest a bit. 

2011-01-31 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3330360

User image

Regular
kussmaul - 2011-01-31 9:15 AM
  I have jury duty . For the first time ever. So I may have sit around and waste time a lot this week. (But at least they have wireless in the courthouse and I have an iPad . So not all bad.)

Establish a reason why you are bias in the case you can most likely get out of it (or so I've heard).
2011-01-31 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3330199

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-01-31 7:29 AM
yes you can shorten the run up a bit, and maybe include a few a pickups. Friday is off, and Saturday is a race prep so 10-15 min each sport w/ 3-4x 20-30" pickups.

Should I do Saturday one after another with transitions included? I'll have to get my wife on board if I do to take stuff from the pool back home

I already made some changes based on thoughts and schedule.
M- did my swim (700yd)
T- Yoga and run (45 min.)
W- Swim (Drills)
Th- Run (32 min. with strides)
F-off
Sa- 500yd swim, 15 min on bike, 10 min run w/some strides on the golf course after.
2011-01-31 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3329872

User image

Regular
roadrhino - 2011-01-30 9:03 PM Yeah, I thought the swim and bike would help loosen all the tightness, so I put it on my plan when I was making my HIM training program. Everything this week is scheduled to be easy until Saturday. Might just see how I feel in the morning. My goal was 2:30:00 and I hit 2:28:36. It was my first stand-alone 13.1...and I redeemed myself from my embarrassing HIM run from last year.
grownassman161 - 2011-01-30 7:51 PM

That's good. Sounds like a reasonable goal and a good run! Sometimes I'm on the other end watching my mark go by on the timer as I'm coming down the stretch. Days like you had are ones to celebrate! Keep the good days coming!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28