BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-02-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3332701

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
OOh Janet, I'd have to Google to even see what part of the body that is!  Sounds painful... hopefully Marsha will stop by and give you some tips...

So our power went out last night during a thunderstorm with wicked winds... hubby said it was still out at 8 a.m. and the temps are unreal for TX!  Hopefully it's been restored, I feel bad the dogs are home, but at least they are furry!  It was pretty chilly by the time I got up at 6:15!  And WTF.... it's always just our house... EVERY other house around us had power, this is like the 4th time in 6 months??!

The kids at school are crazy with the cold weather so I plugged them in... so much quieter!

2011-02-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Janet, Sorry to hear about that pain. I hope someone can give you some good advice.

Hilde, The news was talking about Texas today and what crazy weather they're having. Hopefully the power will be back on by the time you get home!

Schools here are closing early today and already closing for tomorrow. I hope this snowstorm doesn't disappoint! No training for me since the Y is closing early too.  I am pretty bored. 
2011-02-01 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3333322

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Hubby emailed me that the power was back on and the house temp was at 61, brrr.... hopefully it will be warmed up to normal by the time I get home!  We have flurries!!  It is just so cold, I know not by FFN standards, but certainly cold for Texans who are not used to it!  Weather is supposed to be the same tomorrow, no precip is predicted.  10 in the a.m., that's the REAL temp!

So sorry for all of you that are getting pounded with snow AND cold!  Log those snow shoveling workouts!!!

2011-02-01 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3333835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-02-01 4:18 PM

Hubby emailed me that the power was back on and the house temp was at 61, brrr.... hopefully it will be warmed up to normal by the time I get home!  We have flurries!!  It is just so cold, I know not by FFN standards, but certainly cold for Texans who are not used to it!  Weather is supposed to be the same tomorrow, no precip is predicted.  10 in the a.m., that's the REAL temp!

So sorry for all of you that are getting pounded with snow AND cold!  Log those snow shoveling workouts!!!

I'd love to log a shoveling workout...or snow blowing workout....But all we are getting at this point is ice and sleet!!!!  people are ice skating down the streets.....Next our power will go out and we'll be screwed....yuk....I hate this weather! I'd imagine the city will be shut down tomorrow...most university, govt agencies and other private businesses didn't open or let out early....I haven't stepped foot outside except to let the dog out....I'm staying inside till it's safe to go outside!  I need to get on the treadmill before the power goes out.....I hope it doesn't.....but the winds are going to hit 40mph...with ice loaded trees and powerlines.....fun to come - I'm sure!
2011-02-01 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Meantime, over on the other side of the lake it's snowing and blowing all over the place-- I'm really glad I got the heck out of work early (they closed classes after 3PM, a real rarity!) and got home while the roads were OK. There's no WAY the highways would be safe right about now-- heck even outside my windows it looks like whiteout conditions! (Wilson, as much as you'd prefer this sort of thing to ice and sleet-- and I sympathize, believe me-- it's REALLY nasty out there. Tammy, so glad you and the folk at United are staying safe and away from O'Hare!)

Janet, have you looked at _Runner's World_ online to see what it might say about SI issues? They seem to be pretty good at covering types of injuries etc...

Stay warm and safe wherever you are, everyone!
2011-02-01 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh no Janet - that is a tough one to fix yourself...I can try to talk you through some possible fixes but without knowing which way it is rotated out of position it will be hard to know which way to have you move...we can try some trial and error:

1) Which side is hurting?
2) Is there someone there with you that can look at something for me...if you lay on your back with both knees bent, and bridge you rear/hips up off the floor, then set your butt back on the floor I need you to have someone else straighten your legs out so you are laying flat on your back (you let your legs go as "limp noodle" as possible). They need to tell me which leg looks longer (if there is one that looks longer). Based on this info I should be able to give you some ideas for how you can try to fix it.

I'll check back here a few times tonight to see if you've answered so I can tell you what to try.

As for the snow - it's SNOWMAGEDDON here! LOL. 4 inches earlier today...a nice break in the action for the drive home time and now it's coming down like NUTS! Looking for another 16ish inches by dinnertime tomorrow...yikes! Needless to say may things in town have already announced that they are closed but for some ridiculous reason they have not announced school closed yet...ODD! Instead they'll wait and we'll get the automated phone call at 6am to wake us all up...nice!

2011-02-01 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Guys, can I ask a favor of you all??  Many of you know my brother was in a horrible car accident last year and was on a vent for 5 weeks and I thought he was going to die....He lived and had his leg reconstructed, physical therapy and lots of pain and nerve issues while trying to learn how to walk and climb stairs again.  His accident was one of the main reasons I turned my life around and found Triathlons and you guys.  So, since his accident he's become fairly mobile, but has let his physical health slide horribly - to the point of upcoming serious issues if he doesn't do something.  I've been on his A$$ for a few months and haven't been able to get to him - his family life, work and everything else is suffering from his current way of life.  So yesterday I made an emotional plea with him to take his life back, don't leave his kids without a dad, live life again and save his family from further pain.  So why did I tell you all this....dunno...I'll get to my favor in a minute.  After our heart to heart conversation - in which there was a lot of tough love - I told him I would like nothing more that to run my first Tri this season, Apr 17, with him.  We would do it side by side the whole way and we'd cross the finish line together!!!  Kinda brings a tear to my eye just thinking about that moment....He will have made a change and hopefully be better for it.  He agreed to do that with me and I told him to get back on here and log - that I'd be checking up on him.....Well, after my run tonight he sent me an inspire.....That was awesome...He had also completed 10 minutes on the elliptical which completely wore him out.......So, if you guys would like to help me encourage him, that would be so so great.  His BT nickname is 'bugeater' and his real name is Kevin.  I'm so excited that he started and hope this will help him get his life back together again....  Sorry for the somber story, but that's life sometimes!!!  Thanks guys!

2011-02-01 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Happy to help Wilson...I'm off to find him now!
2011-02-01 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3334169

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson, have him join our group!!  You know what a great group we are, we'll inspire him to keep working out, and we'll do ANYTHING for you Wilson!!!
2011-02-01 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
OK, I must be retarded...how to I "find" him to leave and inspire?
2011-02-01 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3334198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I think add 'bugeater' to your friend list. then you can click on his avatar.

2011-02-01 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3334204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
You guys rock!!!!  Truly ROCK!!!
2011-02-01 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Wilson, 
How great will it be when you guys cross that finish line together? I'm glad your brother is getting back into a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes tough love is the best love. 
2011-02-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3334196

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2011-02-01 7:49 PM Wilson, have him join our group!!  You know what a great group we are, we'll inspire him to keep working out, and we'll do ANYTHING for you Wilson!!!

I'm glad Hilde offered this before I came along or I might have had to cut her power off again...

Wilson, definitely have him come here.  I know having you will be great but being part of this insanity should give him some instant community.  I just hope he doesn't go on and on with tales of how he is a human tripod like his brother...  Wink
2011-02-01 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3334296

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Sulcus - 2011-02-01 8:40 PM
hildekq - 2011-02-01 7:49 PM Wilson, have him join our group!!  You know what a great group we are, we'll inspire him to keep working out, and we'll do ANYTHING for you Wilson!!!

I'm glad Hilde offered this before I came along or I might have had to cut her power off again...

Wilson, definitely have him come here.  I know having you will be great but being part of this insanity should give him some instant community.  I just hope he doesn't go on and on with tales of how he is a human tripod like his brother...  Wink

LMAO....Well, it does run in the family.....I think he probably is in the club of the "funny wife dance"....I'll have to ask him...but he's not right either....He should fit in nicely!  Us guys in MMM may have a pretty good weight average if he decides to join us..haha...
2011-02-02 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Marsha, I wish I had logged on last night to see your post.  I can answer number 1, I hurt on the left side.  For number 2 I'll need to wait until my husband gets home tonight.  I'm off work today (snow day) and the dogs won't cooperate!

Edited by jcarmody 2011-02-02 7:35 AM

2011-02-02 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
LOL Janet, gosh, what kind of dogs do you have that you can't get them to do this for you...LOL!

Is the pain pretty localized like a finger tip or two sized area or is it bigger like a hand print or more?

Well one thing you could try that could work no matter which way things are "out" is this: you will need a belt (from your pants) and a firm ball (like a soccer ball). Lay on your back; both knees bent, ball between knees and the belt wrapped and fastened around your knees (it will be holding your knees together against the ball between them).  WILSON and HILDE...what ever you're thinking, knock it off! I know how you two work! OK Janet, after you get set up like that you will push your legs out/open against the belt for about 5 seconds, stop, push out 5 seconds, stop, push out 5 seconds, stop and then squeeze in on the ball 5-10 seconds or until you feel a pop at the front (by your pubic bone) which ever comes first.

The pop will feel like a cracking your knuckles pop but it will be at the front at your pubic bone and once it pops it should give you relief at your back area.

Let me know what happens!
2011-02-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3334976

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
PTWykes - 2011-02-02 10:30 AM LOL Janet, gosh, what kind of dogs do you have that you can't get them to do this for you...LOL!

Is the pain pretty localized like a finger tip or two sized area or is it bigger like a hand print or more?

Well one thing you could try that could work no matter which way things are "out" is this: you will need a belt (from your pants) and a firm ball (like a soccer ball). Lay on your back; both knees bent, ball between knees and the belt wrapped and fastened around your knees (it will be holding your knees together against the ball between them).  WILSON and HILDE...what ever you're thinking, knock it off! I know how you two work! OK Janet, after you get set up like that you will push your legs out/open against the belt for about 5 seconds, stop, push out 5 seconds, stop, push out 5 seconds, stop and then squeeze in on the ball 5-10 seconds or until you feel a pop at the front (by your pubic bone) which ever comes first.

The pop will feel like a cracking your knuckles pop but it will be at the front at your pubic bone and once it pops it should give you relief at your back area.

Let me know what happens!

Marsha, I'll email Hilde to make sure she is good!!!  She is the one we have to worry about...But this entry is ripe for fun....But, on a serious note...I hope this works for Janet and she gets some relief!!  Marsha, you are full of all kinds of good info!!!

So I ventured outside and my driveway is one huge sheet of ice!!  I was real careful taking the trash to the curb (no way they will show, but just in case) got the mail...and bam...slipped and fell.....so I laid there for a minute or two and looked through the mail....I swear the kids playing down the street laughed at me...haha....I'm sure that was pretty funny, I was laughing myself.  I came in and told the wife I almost died and she said...."poor baby" and then kept going about her business....So then I let the dog out....he went down our hill out back and he was gone for awhile....I wondered what he was up to and looked....poor guy slid down the hill and couldn't climb back up...LMAO...he looked so sad.  I had to get a shovel and chip a path to the bottom of the hill so he'd have some traction to get up the hill....I did real good going down the hill as I chipped away....got to the bottom and was real happy with myself for not falling...then the dog ran up the path on the hill...I took a step to do the same and bam....fell again....LMAO....So I get up and make it up the hill....get inside and told the wifey...she laughed...she then said "I wondered if I would have noticed you were gone.....Do you think you'd have frozen to death????"  See no love in this household...I would have frozen to death at the bottom of our hill.......I will stay inside the rest of the day!!!  Hope everyone in the $hit is safe and staying warm!!!   
2011-02-02 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Ooooooh prime for America's Funniest Home Videos Wilson! LOL Hope you didn't hurt yourself with your falls!

I'm just back in after 45 minutes of shoveling (translation cardio/strength intervals! LOL) - figured I should get one round done before it got too deep. I figure there was about 8 inches so far. Hubby is up for round 2 later but somehow I think I got the short end of the stick...it is already slowing down!
Well, I'll look at it as my workout and not get bitter about it!
2011-02-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3335238

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
MaN, I think most of you are at home!  That sucks... we had rolling power outages this morning, showing a movie to my kids and all of a sudden nothing.  Let me tell you, a portable cools down damned quick without any power!!  After about 20 minutes it would pop on again. 

Wilson, I REALLY hope you didn't hurt yourself falling.... TWICE!!  I'd have more broken ribs or something... I like your wife's attitude, she sounds PERFECT for you!  Stay inside, you have your torture chamber in the basement, no need to go out... but you did a good thing for the poor doggie...

Marsha, ooooh, a soccer ball and a belt!  Was the belt STUDDED?  Bones popping in the pubic area... Janet you will HAVE to let us know how it went!  Did you light a cigarette afterwards??  As dedicated as Marsha is to her training, I am sure she is excellent at her job, so I hope it works!!  No fair for our runner, Janet, to have any pain!  Alex neither!  Or Jon with his broken toe.... in fact, there are NO INJURIES allowed for ANY MMMers!  Everyone has 1 week to heal up and that's IT, I am DONE with all these injuries!!  C'mon peeps!!
2011-02-02 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Janet -just checking in and coming to commiserate with you...my right sacroiliac joint popped out of place while shoveling snow and now it is soooo painful to step on my right leg and load that side. I know what to do to pop it back in but it just won't go! I just took a -ton of advil and will keep trying I'll be back later to check in on you again!

2011-02-02 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

The verdict on my legs is my left leg seems to be slightly longer than my right one.  Hopefully this will provide Marsha with some further insight.  So the SI joint pain is on the left and it is my left leg.  As far as the pain size I would say it is a localized area about an inch or two in size.  I've had it worse, where you could look at me and see one hip was higher than the other.  This time it is more anoying where every once in a while I move or turn just right and I get a shooting pain.

I tried the belt and ball exercise and couldn't get a pop or crack to happen.  Of course the only ball I could find was my dog's and it was only about the size of a softball.  I felt some relief afterwords (no cigarette) but the pain was back in about 10 minutes. 

2011-02-02 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
I am SO with Hilde on this: no more injuries for MMMers! We're too awesome for that!

Commiserations, Marsha, on the snow shoveling-- just got back in from two and a quarter hours' worth myself... when I started, the drifts were hip-high on me (and I'm 5'10"ish with long legs!). Luckily, one of my neighbours stopped to help, then I helped a couple of other folk shovel out THEIR cars-- far better to do it now before the truly deep freeze hits us tonight! No falls (OUCH, Wilson!) or SI issues (Marsha and Janet, I hope your backs are in line by now!), and I managed to avoid hitting my toes (Jon, I sympathize with the broken toe-- I did that to myself a couple of times way back in the day, and MAN, it hurt!). So now I'm sitting here drinking hot tea and defrosting somewhat. Will find out later if I'm going in to work tomorrow, or if the Powers That Be have been sensible for once and closed the school for clean-up.

Wilson, I echo everyone else, too-- I'm off now to add Kevin to my list and send him an inspire: he's so lucky to have a brother like you to be there for him, and I'd be happy to help in any way I can! (I repeat: this group ROCKS!)

Stay warm and safe, everyone!
2011-02-02 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I'm going to try and attach pics of our snow! I was supposed to run 5 miles today, but no go.
2011-02-02 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Never mind. The files are too big. But there's a  Lot! Still can't get out of my drive way and our street isn't plowed yet. I would say I would like to go south, but Hilde isn't having much luck either.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70