BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-30 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3260767

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED
MIKE, are you really asking if the Warrior Dash has shirts or medals!?!?!?  Not only do you get a cool Finisher medal, beer, but you get a SWEEET viking helmet.  That was an instant sell for me  , gotta love the Viking helmet.   There is another race called the HELLRUN  and its just like it, but they give Super Hero Capes.

Congrats on the Finish!!!! 

2011-01-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3328674

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
rad110 - 2011-01-29 4:41 PM It's 60 degrees and sunny out today in Atlanta.

the number of people pointing out atlanta's weekend temps to me within the past 48 hours has now reached into the double-digits... thanks so much for sharing Tongue out
2011-01-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3328878

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Brightbow - 2011-01-29 8:12 PM Oh ya, I forgot to mention that on Thursday I went to a Good Form Running clinic.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

It was really interesting, I tried to incorporate some of it into my run today and I do think it helped. The person who taught said that if there were one area to try to change it would be cadence.

Someone mentioned shin splits a while back. What they said in that class was that shin splits can be caused by 'heel striking' or 'over striding' when you dorsiflex your foot while running. It made a lot of sense. I hope this information is helpful to some of you, I know I enjoyed learning more about how I can improve my form and ultimately run faster with less injuries.

Do they talk about the kinds of things they emphasize in chi running? (not that i know much about that, but i did buy the book...!)

curious, why cadence? (and how???) i really don't know squat about running form....which probably has something to do w/ my bum knees, bursitis, ITB issues......Smile
2011-01-30 4:07 PM

New user

back from a long hiatus from being on here, im trying to catch up on all the pages.  quite a bit has been going on and it looks like there is alot of good info.  i hurt my back last week and havent been able to train at all.  i went for an easy 2 mile run today to see how i felt and all was good.  ill be back in full force tomorrow.  i just hope i havent lost too much of what i have done.
i did put some aero bars on my bike and i am curious to see how i ride with them on there.  any advice on how to get adjusted to them?
2011-01-30 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3329567

User image

Central Oregon
MarlaS - 2011-01-30 12:50 PM
Brightbow - 2011-01-29 8:12 PM Oh ya, I forgot to mention that on Thursday I went to a Good Form Running clinic.

It was really interesting, I tried to incorporate some of it into my run today and I do think it helped. The person who taught said that if there were one area to try to change it would be cadence.

Someone mentioned shin splits a while back. What they said in that class was that shin splits can be caused by 'heel striking' or 'over striding' when you dorsiflex your foot while running. It made a lot of sense. I hope this information is helpful to some of you, I know I enjoyed learning more about how I can improve my form and ultimately run faster with less injuries.

Do they talk about the kinds of things they emphasize in chi running? (not that i know much about that, but i did buy the book...!)

curious, why cadence? (and how???) i really don't know squat about running form....which probably has something to do w/ my bum knees, bursitis, ITB issues......Smile

He mentioned that there are several different bodies of thought on running form. I have only heard of Good Form Running and the Pose method myself. Teague (the teacher) said that all the 'form programs' have positive aspects and he thinks as long as you are trying to pay attention to improving posture and running form, then you are on the right track.

They said that the ideal cadence is around 180, which is pretty fast. But when you shorten your stride it makes it difficult to over stride and strike your heel. When your heel absorbs the shock from running it causes knee problems which can cause hip issues... it's all connected if you think about it.

For the how part, I can't really explain it... but you can run at a slow pace and still have a high cadence, I'm sure there are some videos on youtube for this. I just haven't looked.

I don't know anything about form really either, which may be why I have also dealt with every common running injury at some point over the last five years. This is the first time I have paid any attention to running form. I just want to keep injury free and run faster if at all possible.

Edited by Brightbow 2011-01-30 6:23 PM
2011-01-30 6:24 PM

User image

Subject: Subject for each Post
May I suggest that all of our group member put a title in the subject line?  It makes it easier when I go back to review what people have said. Thanks everyone. Thomas

2011-01-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3329632

User image

Master
St. Louis
CliffK110 - 2011-01-30 4:07 PM back from a long hiatus from being on here, im trying to catch up on all the pages.  quite a bit has been going on and it looks like there is alot of good info.  i hurt my back last week and havent been able to train at all.  i went for an easy 2 mile run today to see how i felt and all was good.  ill be back in full force tomorrow.  i just hope i havent lost too much of what i have done.
i did put some aero bars on my bike and i am curious to see how i ride with them on there.  any advice on how to get adjusted to them?

Welcome back!  I don't know how to adjust aero bars.  I had my local bike shop put mine on and adjust them for me.  What kind did you buy?
2011-01-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3329780

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Brightbow - 2011-01-30 7:21 PM
MarlaS - 2011-01-30 12:50 PM

He mentioned that there are several different bodies of thought on running form. I have only heard of Good Form Running and the Pose method myself. Teague (the teacher) said that all the 'form programs' have positive aspects and he thinks as long as you are trying to pay attention to improving posture and running form, then you are on the right track.

They said that the ideal cadence is around 180, which is pretty fast. But when you shorten your stride it makes it difficult to over stride and strike your heel. When your heel absorbs the shock from running it causes knee problems which can cause hip issues... it's all connected if you think about it.

For the how part, I can't really explain it... but you can run at a slow pace and still have a high cadence, I'm sure there are some videos on youtube for this. I just haven't looked.

I don't know anything about form really either, which may be why I have also dealt with every common running injury at some point over the last five years. This is the first time I have paid any attention to running form. I just want to keep injury free and run faster if at all possible.

That sounds like good advice & pretty reasonable stuff. I don't know much about chi running, other than what i got from 1 clinic & the 1st chapter of the book i bought :-) but same theme of paying attention to form, etc. Same reason I like good swim clinics, too....
2011-01-31 7:52 AM

New user

Subject: Running form
I didnt see this mentioned yet, but there is also chirunning.com  I have never tried it, but the logic behind it seems pretty good. 

Ill get the brand of the aero bars for you soon ransick.  Im at work now and cant remember the name. 

It rained all last night here in Mobile so I decided to go for a mile swim this morning.  I really think I need to get a swim coach to get better form.  I wasnt to fatigued, but I could just tell throughout my swim that my form had to be terrible.  I understand the concept of rotating as if there is a string going through me, but I feel that Im not getting the full benefit of each stroke.  I guess the best thing for me to do now is go watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Oh yeah, last night I entered myself in to the Kona lottery.  Fingers crossed!
2011-01-31 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3328066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN for a couple more!

MarlaS - 2011-01-28 10:11 PM
tricupcake - 2011-01-27 2:25 PM

I have a question about running shoes.  I bought new running shoes last night after trying on at least half a dozen pair.  I wore them to work today and they squeak as if I have wet socks on or something.  Is that normal?

couldn't begin to tell you why...maybe it's the same reason one of my bras squeaks?!

I guess I should count myself lucky that it's only my shoes that squeak

2011-01-31 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3330453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: Swimming

I finally got a swim lane by myself!  My goal was to swim 25 yards without needing a lifeguard and I actually swam 250   It might not sound like a lot, but for not swimming for over a year (and maybe 2), it was a great start for me!

2011-01-31 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3328079

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Bike Guidance?
Thanks Marla, this was probably the single best thing I've tried so far.  I've been trying to keep my cadence around 90-100, but just seem to wreck any type of reduced HR I'd like to achieve.  I focused on trying to keep it around 80 and it was like a different experience altogether.  I didn't feel nearly as whipped as I usually do climbing off the bike.

Unfortunately, the saddle is still uncomfortable as hell, but I'll give it another couple of weeks before I try to look into some of the models you and Mike mentioned.  And the spin thing is something I'll check into - I know 24Hour Fitness has a few of them. 

I'm willing to try anything at this point.  The bike is where I lose all the ground that I gained in the swim, not to mention it is typically the longest portion of any event.  If your swimming and running stink, but you rock the bike, you will probably not be in bad shape.....definitely where I need to focus.

Take care
2011-01-31 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3330312

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Running form
CliffK110 - 2011-01-31 7:52 AM I didnt see this mentioned yet, but there is also chirunning.com  I have never tried it, but the logic behind it seems pretty good. 

Ill get the brand of the aero bars for you soon ransick.  Im at work now and cant remember the name. 

It rained all last night here in Mobile so I decided to go for a mile swim this morning.  I really think I need to get a swim coach to get better form.  I wasnt to fatigued, but I could just tell throughout my swim that my form had to be terrible.  I understand the concept of rotating as if there is a string going through me, but I feel that Im not getting the full benefit of each stroke.  I guess the best thing for me to do now is go watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Oh yeah, last night I entered myself in to the Kona lottery.  Fingers crossed!

Nice job on swimming a mile!  If you aren't fatigued, that is good.  Getting a coach will help you get more efficient for the same output so your time should improve.
2011-01-31 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3330460

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Swimming
Nice job!  Every increase in distance is a baby win that adds up,  Keep it up!
2011-01-31 7:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Topics
Here is the topic list.  We'll fill these out over the next several weeks.  If you have other topics or questions, ask away.  I'll post this list once in a while because it helps me find them too.

goal setting (page 5 - post 1)
training by RPE/heart rate/power (page 8 - post 7)
swim training  (page 14 - post 1+4)
bike training (up next)
run training
core/strength training
nutrition
rest and recovery
race day (race day nutrition covered on page 6 - post 8)
race day (clothing and transition covered on page 14 - post 19)

2011-01-31 8:15 PM

User image

Central Oregon
tricupcake - 2011-01-31 6:51 AM

I finally got a swim lane by myself!  My goal was to swim 25 yards without needing a lifeguard and I actually swam 250   It might not sound like a lot, but for not swimming for over a year (and maybe 2), it was a great start for me!

Yay! I'm glad you got some time in.

Tomorrow is when my tri registration opens. Evidently the race fills up within 2 hours! The course is on the Oregon State campus where I went to college, so it'd be nice to do my first tri there. I hope I get in... ah, but then I really have to commit to a race, so... I'm nervous!

2011-01-31 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3331755

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Running form
ransick - 2011-01-31 6:13 PM .  Getting a coach will help you get more efficient for the same output so your time should improve.

couldn't say that enough, mike. i've been a swimmer all my life, and used to coach in high school & college, and as much as i identify myself as a swimmer first/foremost, i still have a laundry list of things to work on after my swim clinic last night.

so, not to minimize the importance of plain old endurance, but in swimming especially IMHO, mechanics are so key...i've also learned that the tiniest of adjustments have big payoffs in eliminating or reducing pain, too (not that syringes with cortisone aren't my friends, too...just would rather see less of them).

whoever it was mentioned watching more videos, look for film of jason lezak - gorgeous technique (and generally easy on the eyes to boot)
Smile 
2011-01-31 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3332055

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Brightbow - 2011-01-31 9:15 PM
Tomorrow is when my tri registration opens. Evidently the race fills up within 2 hours! The course is on the Oregon State campus where I went to college, so it'd be nice to do my first tri there. I hope I get in... ah, but then I really have to commit to a race, so... I'm nervous!

SO EXCITING! start banging away on F5 a couple of minutes before that magic hour, lol... you'd be crazy not to be nervous, so good luck!
2011-01-31 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
tricupcake - 2011-01-31 9:51 AM

woo-hoo! i think that's a great start for most folks - good for you!

(and RE the shoes vs bras, reality checks are always nice)Wink
2011-01-31 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3332055

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brightbow - 2011-01-31 8:15 PM
tricupcake - 2011-01-31 6:51 AM

Yay! I'm glad you got some time in.

Yep, reality sets in once you register.  It's a good nervous feeling and great motivation.
2011-02-01 7:46 AM

New user

Good luck this morning Brightbow.  For a tri to fill up in 2 hours is quite amazing.  Hope you get in! 

Thanks for the info on getting a coach.  I am going to ask the local tri guys if they have any suggestions and go from there. i feel like this is a major problem for all beginners (using up too much energy on bad form).  Ive been watching alot of videos of triathlons and all of the pros look so effortless.  I know thats why they are pros and we are beginners, but it just makes me wonder how much "easier" it is to have good form. 

2011-02-01 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3332580

User image

Central Oregon
Well, I got in, so yay! Then my husband chimes in with, "Maybe I should do it too." (My dream come true right there... but...) About 10 minutes of indecision, I offer to pay the entry fee and he says, "Surprise me." SO, I log on IMMEDIATELY and it looks like the race is full. Psh. Figures. Laughing
2011-02-01 11:21 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Infinit sale
If you want to try Infinit, they are having a limited time 50% off sale. 

http://www.infinitloop.com/2011/01/rules-and-disclaimers-for-infinits-big.html
2011-02-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3333185

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brightbow - 2011-02-01 11:13 AM Well, I got in, so yay! Then my husband chimes in with, "Maybe I should do it too." (My dream come true right there... but...) About 10 minutes of indecision, I offer to pay the entry fee and he says, "Surprise me." SO, I log on IMMEDIATELY and it looks like the race is full. Psh. Figures. Laughing

Congrats on getting in AND on your husband wanting to join you (even though he didn't make it).  Time to look for another race you can do together.
2011-02-01 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3333215

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
ransick - 2011-02-01 12:22 PM
Brightbow - 2011-02-01 11:13 AM Well, I got in, so yay! Then my husband chimes in with, "Maybe I should do it too." (My dream come true right there... but...) About 10 minutes of indecision, I offer to pay the entry fee and he says, "Surprise me." SO, I log on IMMEDIATELY and it looks like the race is full. Psh. Figures. Laughing

Congrats on getting in AND on your husband wanting to join you (even though he didn't make it).  Time to look for another race you can do together.

DITTO!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23