BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3321438

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
syscrash - 2011-01-25 4:27 PM Let's see if I can post a file.....nope...it's too big.  If you want it and haven't already posted your email address, send me a pm or post your email and I'll get it to you tonight.  Just as a disclaimer, the vast majority of the work in this excel was done by someone else (who's name I'll look up later so I can give them credit). I just added a few things and tweaked some stuff to my goals/tastes

PM Sent 

2011-01-25 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3321533

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
mpdiotte - 2011-01-25 5:37 PM
syscrash - 2011-01-25 4:27 PM Let's see if I can post a file.....nope...it's too big.  If you want it and haven't already posted your email address, send me a pm or post your email and I'll get it to you tonight.  Just as a disclaimer, the vast majority of the work in this excel was done by someone else (who's name I'll look up later so I can give them credit). I just added a few things and tweaked some stuff to my goals/tastes

PM Sent 

So I pm'd but no email haha! so here it is. mpdiotte at shaw.ca 
2011-01-25 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Those who asked for mine so far should have it in their email box
2011-01-25 9:38 PM

User image

New user
Stall Out Testing tonight 6X with 10 min easy inbetween...went better than last week at least...total time in the saddle 1 hour.  90+ in aero...seems to be getting easier to be in the aero position. 
2011-01-25 11:54 PM

User image

My local Gold's Gym has a weekly triathlon swimming class (freestyle only).  This week we did some distance intervals and got in 3,200 yds in 57 minutes.  For the swimmers out there, this is no big deal, but for me this is awesome.  It's the furthest I've ever gone in 1 hr.  If I had realized I was just 200 yds away from 2 miles, I would have used the last few minutes to get there.  Next time, I guess, but I'm pretty pumped about that workout.

Also did 60 minutes of speed intervals this morning on the TT bike.  Good training day.
2011-01-26 12:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
So here is how my sweat test went.

Trainer Session
60 min
50 min in areo
Avg HR 135
Distance 25.36k
Speed 25.35 kmh
Starting Weight 175.6
End Weight 175.0

I drank one bottle of G2 Gatorade 591ml 40 cal total in the bottle. I'm now not sure what all this means, maybe someone can explain the rest to me in plain English.

Tomorrow I've got another 1hr trainer session and about 30 min swim

2011-01-26 3:20 AM
in reply to: #3321399

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
nuttysami123 - 2011-01-25 7:05 PM

Jamie- you bring up a great point about picking a plan, a course of action, and sticking with it. I posted this on the IM/HIM message board last week and didn't get but a couple of responses.. My plan officially starts next Monday. I have been diligently working all winter on a swim/run maintenance plan- but improving on the bike (with some definitive goals in mind) by following Jorge's winter cycling plan v3.0. I am in week 8 of the plan. It is kicking my butt hard. And, my wattage has greatly improved. I train with a powertap. Jorge's plan is 20 wks. long. My question to you and to the group is this: do I start my plan next Monday as is.. follow it completely to the T or can I follow the swim/run part of it and continue with Jorge's plan and see it through til March then pick up with the bike portion of the plan (by then, the weather might be decent to start riding outside)? My A race is Muncie 70.3 in July. I plan to bump up to the Don Fink Competitive plan this after after using the intermediate plan last year for my HIM that I did at Cedar Point. I had good luck with that but this year, I want to get faster and train much smarter, with purpose. 
Thoughts, comments welcome! Thanks!! 

Not knowing the exact details my opinion is that you will be fine. In my opinion, if you maintain training during the off season then you should be good to go with about 12 weeks of HIM training/18 weeks of IM training leading up to your 'A' race. So, with Muncie in July your timing and plan that you detailed seems very reasonable.

I'm not sure how long you are in the saddle but if you need to tweak anything with the cycling plan then I would take 1 day and decrease the intervals but build into very long efforts at HIM watts. You may have to play it by ear to see how you feel. If you introduce a lot of running into a lot of very intense bike intervals you may not be able to hit your power goal b/c your legs are tired. Just something to watch out for.

Jamie
2011-01-26 3:26 AM
in reply to: #3321843

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-01-26 1:01 AM

So here is how my sweat test went.

Trainer Session
60 min
50 min in areo
Avg HR 135
Distance 25.36k
Speed 25.35 kmh
Starting Weight 175.6
End Weight 175.0

I drank one bottle of G2 Gatorade 591ml 40 cal total in the bottle. I'm now not sure what all this means, maybe someone can explain the rest to me in plain English.

Tomorrow I've got another 1hr trainer session and about 30 min swim

You Canadians! Always throwing the metric system into the mix. Get with the rest of the world will ya? Oh wait, thats us in the USA still living in the stone ages eh?

So, you drank 591mL = 20 oz. 16oz/lb. So you drank 1.25 lbs of fluid but your weight went down by another 0.5 lbs (rounding). So to break even you needed another 0.5lbs of fluid or 8 oz.

This means that your sweat rate was 16oz + 8oz = 24oz/hour is your ideal intake at the temperature in which you biked. I'll let you convert that back to metric.

Jamie
2011-01-26 3:29 AM
in reply to: #3321837

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-01-26 12:54 AM

My local Gold's Gym has a weekly triathlon swimming class (freestyle only).  This week we did some distance intervals and got in 3,200 yds in 57 minutes.  For the swimmers out there, this is no big deal, but for me this is awesome.  It's the furthest I've ever gone in 1 hr.  If I had realized I was just 200 yds away from 2 miles, I would have used the last few minutes to get there.  Next time, I guess, but I'm pretty pumped about that workout.

Also did 60 minutes of speed intervals this morning on the TT bike.  Good training day.

Nice swim Cody. You are doing IMSG right? If so, you'll have the advantage of a wetsuit too! That will make you really fast. I've done 6 IM's. 4 with wetsuit, 2 without. I gain 6-8 minutes with a wetsuit at IM distance.

Good targets for AG'er in IM is around 65-70 minutes for the swim. Thats usually about the time where the huge pack comes in.

Jamie
2011-01-26 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3321717

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
JBougher - 2011-01-25 10:38 PM

Stall Out Testing tonight 6X with 10 min easy inbetween...went better than last week at least...total time in the saddle 1 hour.  90+ in aero...seems to be getting easier to be in the aero position. 

Aero takes a bit of adaptation but it will be worth it. I can generate more power in aero than out nowadays. If you are still using the CT leading up to your 'A' race then I would suggest doing very long isopower efforts in aero @ ~ 85% FTP. Slightly under that should be your goal HIM pace.

I really think you are going to miss the power data on the bike. One option you do have is to do 100% of your training on the CT. I train 100% of the time on the trainer watching watts for IM and will do so for HIM. If you can do it mentally it will be a huge advantage physically as well. My bike only sees pavement during a race. It's also very freeing b/c there is no need to worry about weather, daylight, traffic etc.

Good goals for triathletes on the bike is to get a power to weight ratio of close to or more than 4.0 w/kg. So that is your FTP watts (determined by 20' test or longer) divided by your body weight in kg. W/Kg is pretty much *the* standard in determining how good of a cyclist you are. How you are able to generate those watts determines if you are a sprinter/climber/tt'er for pure cyclists (i.e. TdF, vuelta etc.)

Jamie

2011-01-26 6:49 AM

User image

Windsor, ON
Yesterday wasn't bad.  Had a 50 min run, first half really worked on keeping the HR even lower - which coincidentally resulted in a slower time, but was able to pick it up for the run back and post a negative split. 

Had a 50 min bike after at HIM target HR.  All aero - can't wait for that new seat to arrive. 

Today is a 10k run.

2011-01-26 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I'm wishing I had a power meter with all the recent discussion on this thread. I just go on RPE so I have no idea if I'm getting faster/stronger.

This is the final week of training block 1 for me, supposedly a "recovery" week. It's hard because I feel great and want to keep pushing myself. I hit the pool last night and had a pretty good workout. I decided to try 5 x 100's on the 1:45. I made the set fine - a little gassed at the end but not too bad. Can't wait until I can do 10 of these. Maybe a couple more weeks I'll be there.

So we used to do a "question of the day" (QOTD) on a previous mentor group. Thought I'd see if it catches on here.

QOTD: What's your favorite race you've ever done and why? It can be a tri, a running event, etc.

AOTD: Mine is easily Wildflower. I've done the long course (HIM) as a relay twice and the Oly once. Everyone camps out for the weekend like a big festival, college chicks in bikinis work the aid stations, they do "naked runs", just lots of fun.
2011-01-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3322409

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-01-26 11:19 AM

I'm wishing I had a power meter with all the recent discussion on this thread. I just go on RPE so I have no idea if I'm getting faster/stronger.

This is the final week of training block 1 for me, supposedly a "recovery" week. It's hard because I feel great and want to keep pushing myself. I hit the pool last night and had a pretty good workout. I decided to try 5 x 100's on the 1:45. I made the set fine - a little gassed at the end but not too bad. Can't wait until I can do 10 of these. Maybe a couple more weeks I'll be there.

So we used to do a "question of the day" (QOTD) on a previous mentor group. Thought I'd see if it catches on here.

QOTD: What's your favorite race you've ever done and why? It can be a tri, a running event, etc.

AOTD: Mine is easily Wildflower. I've done the long course (HIM) as a relay twice and the Oly once. Everyone camps out for the weekend like a big festival, college chicks in bikinis work the aid stations, they do "naked runs", just lots of fun.

I'll play:

Muncie HIM (now "70.3"). My first tri ever and have done it every year but one since then. I think that was 6 years ago. Finished in 5:09. Signed up 2 weeks before the race with no training. I like it b/c it's only an hour away from home and I know a ton of people in Muncie. Post race is always like a family BBQ with lots of old friends.

Keep the recovery just that. Take your hard days hard and your easy days easy. Very easy to judge this with a power meter! hint. You should get a cheapie HRM as the very least. It is paramount that you throttle back your bike effort for IMTX. The difference between completing and competing is often how hard you do (or don't hopefully) go on the bike. Remember these words for TX: Don't get involved in a bike race!

Jamie
2011-01-26 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I do wear a HRM most of the time but I rarely pay attention to it during training, and rarely after training. I guess I just never know how to interpret the data. I have no idea what my zones are. The standard ones on my Garmin tell me I train in zone 4 all the time which can't be true.

The bike portion of my brick Sunday was 25 miles, pushed pretty hard, HR: 139
Previous trainer rides between 1 hour and 2:15 have been about 125-130 HR.
2011-01-26 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Favorite Race:  Chicago Marathon.  Nothing like seeing the city on foot, the crowds, the pain and the training leading up to it.

Favorite Event: Bike the Drive.  Can't call this a race.  40,000 cyclists on Lake Shore Drive on everything from Barbie tricycles to 10k all custom "Better than you" bikes.  No cars, incredible views of city and lake and an awesome time but for the occasional 27.5 mph Lance on aerobars screaming ON YOUR LEFT at six year olds.
2011-01-26 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jamie- thanks for your thoughts about my "plan". I think I will continue with Jorge's cycling plan as it has more volume than what my Don Fink plan starts off with. I'm in the saddle right now about 4-5 hrs. week. I think when that plan ends, I'll transition right into the Fink plan seemlessly and then my goal becomes to maintain my CP and and train for my specific goal wattage for the HIM.

QOD: My favorite race is the Morse Lake Summer Triathlon. I've done that race 3 years now.. it's small, it's fun, it's like a family atmosphere. We know a lot of the people that do the race both through our Tri Tippecanoe Tri Club and through our Team T3 friends. It's just a good race.  I'm excited to hear that Muncie is that way too. I'm really looking forward to that race!

2011-01-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3322478

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-01-26 11:44 AM

I do wear a HRM most of the time but I rarely pay attention to it during training, and rarely after training. I guess I just never know how to interpret the data. I have no idea what my zones are. The standard ones on my Garmin tell me I train in zone 4 all the time which can't be true.

The bike portion of my brick Sunday was 25 miles, pushed pretty hard, HR: 139
Previous trainer rides between 1 hour and 2:15 have been about 125-130 HR.

Yeah you are right. That can't be true. Somewhere in this thread is a link I provided to a Mark Allen online Max aerobic HR rule of thumb. I trained HR my first 2 years and I used that rule of thumb to keep my biking in check. There are more exact ways of determining it but for most you need to go to a lab. Most people are HR trainers at first so maybe some others can chime in on their experience.
HR is a very indirect measure of effort but you should be able to use it to make sure you don't go crazy on the bike. At the very least you should be able to use the rule of thumb to get your max aerobic HR and tell yourself that you will never exceed that. Most first time IM'ers (and stupid 2nd timers etc) ruin their ability to run within the first 40 miles of the bike. There is a lot of excitement on the bike course and everybody is tapered. It's really ez to get involved in that. Right around mile 50ish your brain clicks on and says 'hey I'm not even 1/2 way on the bike and I still have to run a marathon'. By then it's too late. Same idea with nutrition/hydration. If you can avoid those situations and race YOUR race you will be much farther ahead and faster to the finish.

Jamie
2011-01-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3321914

User image

To assist the apparently mathematically challenged of the group, he drank 20 oz and still had a deficit of .6 lbs or 9.6 oz.  So the sweat rate is 29.6 oz per hour.  Convert that back to ml and you get 874.68ml.  In essence, the sweat rate is roughly equivalent to 1.5 bottles of the G2 Gatorade...  (I could be anal and bring up the fact that 16 oz of water does not weigh 1lb.  16oz per pound is for dry weights.  Liquids weigh in differently based on density, temperature, and other variables which are too painful to account for..., but we won't go there, the other calculation is close enough...)

Laughing
2011-01-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3322534

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
diamondgirl1973 - 2011-01-26 12:01 PM

To assist the apparently mathematically challenged of the group, he drank 20 oz and still had a deficit of .6 lbs or 9.6 oz.  So the sweat rate is 29.6 oz per hour.  Convert that back to ml and you get 874.68ml.  In essence, the sweat rate is roughly equivalent to 1.5 bottles of the G2 Gatorade...  (I could be anal and bring up the fact that 16 oz of water does not weigh 1lb.  16oz per pound is for dry weights.  Liquids weigh in differently based on density, temperature, and other variables which are too painful to account for..., but we won't go there, the other calculation is close enough...)

Laughing

For water with d=1g/mL sixteen oz is really close to 1lb. 1.03lbs to be exact. Agree that densitiy will differ slightly between liquids (gatorade/water etc). Temperature only changes the density at extreme temps that change the physical state. Sorry, I'm an organic chemist.

jamie
2011-01-26 11:16 AM

User image

Answer to QOTD: Marine Corps Mud Run Lemoore.  Who doesn't love 5 miles of running through mud pits and a variety of other obstacles????
2011-01-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3322544

User image

Aww, c'mon Jamie, lighten up.  I was just teasing.   Life's too short to be serious all the time Tongue out

2011-01-26 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3322566

User image

Extreme Veteran
diamondgirl1973 - 2011-01-26 1:16 PM Answer to QOTD: Marine Corps Mud Run Lemoore.  Who doesn't love 5 miles of running through mud pits and a variety of other obstacles????

Now THAT sounds like fun!! One of my goals for this year, after my A races are done, is to do something totally fun like that- a mudathon, a warrior dash.. something outside of my box! Good for you for doing that!
2011-01-26 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
QOD:  Savageman (HIM) -  

i feel like my description wont give the race justice, so heres an article about the race:

http://savagemantri.org/TriathleteMag_100BestRaces.pdf

crazy race in Maryland, lots of climbing (garmin had 5900ft on the bike and 1200ft on the run).  great support from the area and awesome scenery.  i failed on the bike (if you read the article, i fell on the wall but keep that picture of me on the ground with my training plan) and barely survived the run.  its still tough to think about the race, the expectations that i had for myself, and the fact that i wasnt able to accomplish any of them, but this was still my favorite race by far.
2011-01-26 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3322544

User image

Extreme Veteran
jamiej - 2011-01-26 11:07 AM
diamondgirl1973 - 2011-01-26 12:01 PM To assist the apparently mathematically challenged of the group, he drank 20 oz and still had a deficit of .6 lbs or 9.6 oz.  So the sweat rate is 29.6 oz per hour.  Convert that back to ml and you get 874.68ml.  In essence, the sweat rate is roughly equivalent to 1.5 bottles of the G2 Gatorade...  (I could be anal and bring up the fact that 16 oz of water does not weigh 1lb.  16oz per pound is for dry weights.  Liquids weigh in differently based on density, temperature, and other variables which are too painful to account for..., but we won't go there, the other calculation is close enough...)

Laughing
For water with d=1g/mL sixteen oz is really close to 1lb. 1.03lbs to be exact. Agree that densitiy will differ slightly between liquids (gatorade/water etc). Temperature only changes the density at extreme temps that change the physical state. Sorry, I'm an organic chemist. jamie

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
2011-01-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3321837

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
clewis38 - 2011-01-25 11:54 PM My local Gold's Gym has a weekly triathlon swimming class (freestyle only).  This week we did some distance intervals and got in 3,200 yds in 57 minutes.  For the swimmers out there, this is no big deal, but for me this is awesome.  It's the furthest I've ever gone in 1 hr.  If I had realized I was just 200 yds away from 2 miles, I would have used the last few minutes to get there.  Next time, I guess, but I'm pretty pumped about that workout.

SWEET job on that swim & a big confidence builder I imagine!  I look forward to the day when I can swim that distance.  You got me by about 1200 yards
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40